PDA

View Full Version : This is a gym..

Dave Van Skike
09-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Little documentary about a PL gym. off of Nick McKinless' blog. Not safe for crossfit.

strong language and such truck....

http://beyondstrong.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/09/the-belleville.html

Allen Yeh
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Very cool, I only watched the first video and a bit of the 2nd.

Steve Liberati
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah cool gym. Wierd only saw one guy doing squats (with bands). Everyone else was doing arm curls and lat pulldowns and rows. Yet not safe for CrossFit. Wierd.

Dave Van Skike
09-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah cool gym. Wierd only saw one guy doing squats (with bands). Everyone else was doing arm curls and lat pulldowns and rows. Yet not safe for CrossFit. Wierd.

one of the problems with documentary folks, they're never sure what to focus on. plus filming squats in a PL gym are hard, I was filming a guy doing box squats with 750 on the bar and with all the spotters it was hard to get a shot in, everyone's in the way.

although, I saw,

GM's, speed deads, deloaded back squats, freaky closegrip bench, RE bench, regular squats that got some razzing for being high, well executed face pulls, deloaded bench with blue bands, and some pretty big DL's.

Derek Weaver
09-27-2008, 08:36 PM
This looks like an awesome place to train. As much for the atmosphere as for the actual training.

Like minded people, and no goofy crap. Except for picking on each other a little, which is absolutely alright in my book.

Dave Van Skike
09-28-2008, 07:10 PM
For real. Finding a gym like this in January was for me the BIGGEST benefit to my training...Period. The atmosphere is good for 10% on every lift..I shit you not. It's elemental. I attribute 2000% of the success of Crossfit as an idea to the atmosphere of the facilities and the like mindedness of the participants...and I mean that as a compliment. Admittedly its not my deal but I have mad respect for the people locally who are doing it. My place is still better, but to each his own.

Derek Simonds
09-29-2008, 07:20 AM
100% agreement. Everytime I go to Leo's gym I PR. Doesn't matter what it is I PR. Sometimes by more than I could have ever imagined.

Atmosphere is key.

Derek Weaver
09-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Atmosphere is key. I totally agree with the PR's at increases on load with the right training group.

Don't find that in a 24 hour fitness.... if they'll even let you deadlift there.

Jacob Rowell
09-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Love it. The people that train at my place would say a lot of the same things - it may be dirty, hot, cold, whatever, but it's the right place to train hard.

There's a place nearby that reminds me a lot of the BWC (The Weight Room, www.rivercitystrongman.com). Not run down by any means, but it's the only place around where you can see 700#+ lifts. I go there on occasion just to know that however strong I may get, there's many many more who can still whip my ass.