PDA

View Full Version : O Mine Friends!

Jamila Bey
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Being that the site was down all day, I was in a severe withdrawal and missed you all. I just want to take a moment to thank the mods for their work and list some of the reasons I like it here so much.

1. One need not write stupid euphemisms such as DTD (doing the deed), s3x, or other crap when the need to write the word "sex" comes up. (heh heh heh)

2. There hasn't been a thread about how inappropriate SpongeBob is for children. He's a bad influence, and the humor is clearly adult.

3. Nobody thinks I'm a bad mother because I plan on teaching my kid to put on a condom someday. And encouraging him to make his own decisions about how he'll use his body. (Or at least hasn't flamed me for thinking it!)

4. The thought of a woman saying, "Whaddya mean you can't find time to work out? Put your baby in a carrier and walk up and down a hill or some stairs for 20 minutes a day!" isn't considered abusive.

5. I haven't had posts redacted or completely removed here.

Please oh please don't leave me again. I can't stand going to parenting sites where being a thinking individual is looked down upon!!!:D

I fear that by the tenor of the boards I've had to troll today, America's future is in DEEP jeopardy if these are the folks raising up the children. Be very afraid.

Don Stevenson
10-01-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm with you Jamila!

I got such severe withdrawals that I started my own fitness blog!:D

Allen Yeh
10-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Decaf time?

Stephen Brown
10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
So uh, is spongebob ok or not?

Kevin Perry
10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/kevperry11/Blasphemy.jpg

This got a chuckle out of me.

George Mounce
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
So uh, is spongebob ok or not?

I like that show, I watch it when I can, is that sad for a 31-yr-old?

Gant Grimes
10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
3. Nobody thinks I'm a bad mother because I plan on teaching my kid to put on a condom someday. And encouraging him to make his own decisions about how he'll use his body. (Or at least hasn't flamed me for thinking it!)

"Son, one day you're going to crawl out of that crib. It's a different world out there. As soon as the diapers come off, you'll need to put one of these on."

Jamila Bey
10-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Spongebob is evil for these three reasons.

#1. Squidward is a latent homosexual who is going to someday prey on SpongeBob or his starfish friend, Patrick.

#2. He works in fast food and isn't very smart. He's evidencing the elitism and classism of the media elites. Everyone with a blue collar job isn't a dolt.

#3. The humor is adult. He lives in "Bikini Bottom" (get it). Children shouldn't know about bikini bottoms. Children shouldn't know anything.

Jamila Bey
10-02-2008, 06:32 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/kevperry11/Blasphemy.jpg

This got a chuckle out of me.

Oh My (son of) God!!!! I just spit my water on the baby!

I'll be seeing Religulous this weekend too.

That is the funniest thing I've seen all week. Actually, I did watch Palin on Couric this week, so maybe the 8th or 9th funniest thing.

Stephen Brown
10-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Spongebob is evil for these three reasons.

#1. Squidward is a latent homosexual who is going to someday prey on SpongeBob or his starfish friend, Patrick.

#2. He works in fast food and isn't very smart. He's evidencing the elitism and classism of the media elites. Everyone with a blue collar job isn't a dolt.

#3. The humor is adult. He lives in "Bikini Bottom" (get it). Children shouldn't know about bikini bottoms. Children shouldn't know anything.

I think you can get 2 or 3 really funny t-shirts out of this.

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
To Jamila's point,

I like:

1. conversing with like minded folk who enjoy lifting stuff really fast or at least remotely quick.

2. the overwhelming majority of the folk on this site know wayyyyy much more than I do about lifting stuff really fast or at least remotely quick. I love that. I love to learn.

3. Freakin Greg is awesome. Dude's probably forgot more than I'll ever know.

4. No one thinks I'm a bad father for my daughters interest in WL'ing.

5. No excuses, no rants, no bullshit, just straight up tell it like it is.

Oh, and squidward is totally gay. I know i'm gonna win father of the year for this, but my girls watch Family Guy with me as often as we watch Spongebob. And I get less 'what's this?" from Family Guy than I do Sponegbob. In my book, It's better to be totally honest about it than evasive. Sorta the way I'm raising my daughters. No fluff, just purpose.

All the best,
Arden

Patrick Donnelly
10-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Jamila, just remember that not everyone agrees with you, whether they voice it or not.

Jamila Bey
10-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Jamila, just remember that not everyone agrees with you, whether they voice it or not.

I know. A bunch of folks are really against strenuous pre-natal exercise.

Kevin Perry
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM

shun the non-believers

shuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnn

Derek Simonds
10-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Sponge Bob is gay and his friend is a euphemism for an asshole. Every time I see Patrick all I can think of is Limp Bizkit and his chocolate colored starfish.

Oh well. The kids do love it. Jamilla I am going to need your help in making sure I get all sides of the analysis correct when I am explaining it to the kids.

To go along with Arden's statement my music choices for working out are quite diverse and include a bit of gangsta rap. Talk about having some explaining to do. I have tempered my selections somewhat as they have aged.

My grandmother who is a hellfire and brimstone southern baptist once told me the biggest mistake she and my grandfather ever made was sheltering their children too much from the world. She said they just weren't ready for it when it was their time.

Makes you think.

Jamila Bey
10-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Hey- I come from a Southern Baptist family too! While I love to threaten my own parents with writing a book on their "shortcomings" as I see it, I gotta love 'em for letting me run around the world!

By 5 I was a lector at church. To this day, speaking in public is my FAVORITE thing to do 'cause I got over the fear by 1st grade.
By 10 (baby sisters were 7 and 5) dad taught us all how to shoot the shotgun and the air pistols. We weren't afraid of strangers, but knew enough to trust our instincts and get out of an odd feeling situation. (That didn't work for school though. Everything in school was "odd feeling" to me.)
At 14 I was an exchange student in Wales for a month. That was really cool 'cause there were signs everywhere that said, "You must be 14 to enter this pub." To this day I don't drink to excess, nor do I fear foreigners because of my experience being "that foreign girl."
I got to live on campus at 17. I went to school 1.1 miles (a 23 minute walk!) from home.
I only knew to "just say no to sex" though... Let's just say I knew little more until I was 26. There was just some things that unfortunately could NEVER be asked.

I realize that not everyone agrees with me, and I'm no Mister Spock. Or Doctor Spock either. I just love logic and proof. And Blasphemy too. And I love people. Except the ones who refuse to think. Those, I have no use for and try to avoid. But damn do they outnumber the thinking types!

Darryl Shaw
10-04-2008, 04:38 AM
Bring back Ren & Stimpy!!!

Derek Maffett
10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Kevin, why in particular did you think it's okay to post that? Because Greg didn't ban you for it? I know of something else that I could post which would almost certainly offend people and start a massive flame war, but I won't. I'm not looking to start a fight.

Not getting banned for something is not necessarily indicative of acceptable behavior.

Jamilla, while this is not a "flame," I do disagree with you. Very much so.

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 05:43 PM
So I guess Bugs Bunny was a latent homosexual and Elmer Fudd was too.

Its sad how humor has to have an undertone because someone puts it there, not the other way around.

Kevin Perry
10-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Kevin, why in particular did you think it's okay to post that? Because Greg didn't ban you for it? I know of something else that I could post which would almost certainly offend people and start a massive flame war, but I won't. I'm not looking to start a fight.

Not getting banned for something is not necessarily indicative of acceptable behavior.

Jamilla, while this is not a "flame," I do disagree with you. Very much so.

Derek, when you've been in my shoes and have had to see the things I've had to deal with, you get a different outlook in life and little things like that have little value on the overall outlook of life.

Life is too short to worry over something you probably won't care about a week from now...

Derek Maffett
10-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Derek, when you've been in my shoes and have had to see the things I've had to deal with, you get a different outlook in life and little things like that have little value on the overall outlook of life.

Obviously it's a little thing to you, but I'd figure any reasonable person should have an appreciation for how big a matter it is to others. Should I insult your mother, then, and then say it's no big deal? Theological arguments are different, but that wasn't an argument.

Life is too short to worry over something you probably won't care about a week from now...

Again, you assume this is nothing. You also seem to assume that I won't care about it in a week's time (you couldn't have been talking about yourself, since it seems that you didn't really care about it from the start, apart from any laughs you managed to draw from people). I will still think it was wrong in a month's time - it doesn't matter that I won't be obsessing about it by then. Furthermore, it will still be wrong.

Actually, your last sentence is kind of funny/sad when you consider what it is you're talking about.

Darryl Shaw
10-11-2008, 05:17 AM
So I guess Bugs Bunny was a latent homosexual and Elmer Fudd was too.

I always had my suspicions about what Bugs and Elmer got up to when the cameras weren't rolling......

Kevin Perry
10-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Obviously it's a little thing to you, but I'd figure any reasonable person should have an appreciation for how big a matter it is to others. Should I insult your mother, then, and then say it's no big deal? Theological arguments are different, but that wasn't an argument.

Again, you assume this is nothing. You also seem to assume that I won't care about it in a week's time (you couldn't have been talking about yourself, since it seems that you didn't really care about it from the start, apart from any laughs you managed to draw from people). I will still think it was wrong in a month's time - it doesn't matter that I won't be obsessing about it by then. Furthermore, it will still be wrong.

Actually, your last sentence is kind of funny/sad when you consider what it is you're talking about.

You obviously want to turn this into an argument... so you sir will get your argument...

However, I don't care what people think of me hence why it does not bother me.

It is the internet son... get over it.

Mike ODonnell
10-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Ok.....this is going nowhere good. Group hug, let's all go get a beer, play nice and keep it to health and fitness in the future. All on the same team....but this thread has gone down the wrong path....time to end it.