PDA

View Full Version : Keeping yourself sharp

Ben Langford
10-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Looking for any tips or ideas guys.

I recently opened a new BJJ gym in Canberra which is going quite well but my students are essentially all new to BJJ. They're all great people but the skill gap between them and me is quite large and, as a result, I don't have to be as switched on as when rolling someone around my own level.

I have found that my skills are still improving in this environment but when free rolling I am getting lazy and when I execute techniques they work because my opponent is inexperienced not because I'm doing it correctly. When I do get a chance to roll with higher belts (purples, browns etc) I get submitted frequently during the first 5 mins due to stupid mistakes on my part after which I get a bit more of my timing back and start rolling sensibably.

So what I wondering is do any other coaches out there have specific things they do to combat this or is it just a case of me having to be more vigilant?

Grissim Connery
10-02-2008, 08:45 PM
you could pick 2 days of the week in which you go to other clubs and train and make this a mandatory weekly thing. also just invite those guys you visit over more. keep up communication