PDA

View Full Version : Recovery issues

Bill Ripley
10-06-2008, 05:06 AM
As someone who started training in his late thirties and who also trains alone I am having trouble gauging recovery. If I try to squat 3x week ala SS I always seem to end up fatigued at the end of the week. I think because I started lifting later in life I really don't have a baseline for how I should feel after training and so I am always back and forth between changing the program and trying to push trough the fatigue. As a 47 year old I know that I will have less ability to recover than a 27 year old, but because I wasn't lifting at 27 I don't really know what that feels like.

Any advice for an older guy who still wants to have energy to do the yard work when the weekend rolls around?

Steven Low
10-06-2008, 07:07 AM
If your performance is dropping (in your lifts and your energy for daily life), then you need to back off. With linear progression if you can't add weight then there's a problem.

Could be stress, diet, sleep related as you may not be getting enough of those (are some other factors I'm forgetting ATM) and NOT just because of the lifting/workouts.

Mike ODonnell
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
As someone who started training in his late thirties and who also trains alone I am having trouble gauging recovery. If I try to squat 3x week ala SS I always seem to end up fatigued at the end of the week. I think because I started lifting later in life I really don't have a baseline for how I should feel after training and so I am always back and forth between changing the program and trying to push trough the fatigue. As a 47 year old I know that I will have less ability to recover than a 27 year old, but because I wasn't lifting at 27 I don't really know what that feels like.

Any advice for an older guy who still wants to have energy to do the yard work when the weekend rolls around?

Knock it down to 2x a week, eat plenty, get sleep, drink more water, reduce stress, cut caffeine. Adrenal fatigue? Dunno....all you can do is knock it back a bit and see what happens. You should have plenty of energy, so something is taxing you too much.....chronic fatigue could be a combination of burned out adrenals and hypoglycemia due to insulin resistance. Add some fish oil too.