PDA

View Full Version : On the Mat and Platform

Reed Winn
10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I lost my physical training notebook awhile ago and I spend a lot of time on the machine; so an online log makes sense. I intend for this one to be more holistic. It will include notes about both gym stuff and BJJ training. It will also include notes on diet, recovery and such.

Weight: 151.5lbs with no-gi gear on
Height: 5'6"

I've been training BJJ for about a year and 4 months.

Deadlift 1RM: 253lbs
Squat: 220lbs for a triple
Clean 1RM 150lbs
400m in 1:19
1,600m in 6:52

I just started learning the oly lifts about a month ago.

I want to get better on the mat. I am also interested in getting better at the oly lifts, getting a bigger squat and learning some ring skills. I have recently started doing CrossFit workouts and I want to integrate some metcon into my weekly training schedule.

Derek Simonds
10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few BJJ players on here. I do the same thing with my log and record my workouts and BJJ training sessions. I look forward to reading your log.

Reed Winn
10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Did at least 30 cleans with 95lbs just to work on form. I was thinking about catching with an upright posture, keeping my feet in a good stance and leaning back in the pull.

Did 5 ring supports for 30s each. Did 2 L-sits on rings for 10s each.

Rolled at 95% with people of similar weight and skill to get ready for the competition. This has given me confidence.

Thanks, Derek.

Reed Winn
10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Pulled many cleans at 95lbs till that felt OK, then pulled some with 135. I'm having trouble catching it, I seem to often relax in the catch and dump the bar. When I tried to stay tight I ended up power cleaning it. However, with some coaching and more practice I started to do things better.

Trained BJJ again, went at 95% with another guy of similar weight and skill and got the tap but it was a hard fight. This is the last time I will train till the comp on Saturday.

Derek Simonds
10-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Where is the tourney? What divisions / levels are you going to compete in? Are you at your competition weight already or do you need to cut more? Is this your first competition? Lots of questions I know. Just asking because I love to see how others deal with pre-comp stuff.

Reed Winn
10-09-2008, 08:07 PM
It's the George Pendergrass Classic in NC. I'll be doing white belt men's either 140-149 or 150-159. I called the promoter to try and get a feel for the brackets but I didn't learn much. I weigh about 151 in no-gi gear so I could probably come in at the top of 140-149. This is my third comp, but probably the biggest one I've done.

Got terrible sleep last night due to school work. Today, after reading Greg's Weightlifting book, I was inspired to cover both my dorm room windows with aluminum foil. This should help me get better sleep quality. I intend to start going to sleep at a more constant time.

Took it real easy today. Did handstands against the wall with attempts at kicking into position without touching the wall, standing for a few seconds.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I would definitely cut the weight and fight at the top end of the lighter division if I could. Sleep is so important to me, I totally agree with blacking out the windows for sleep.

I am guessing you will be competing in both gi and no-gi. Best of luck to you in the comp.

Reed Winn
10-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I won 3rd. Weighted in at 146, a lot lighter than I thought. I ate huge amounts of pasta and a half gallon of whole milk after the weigh in, slept pretty well and went to the venue the next day. Had about 5g of creatine monohydrate about 30mins before my first match. Had a cup of coffee the morning of.

Won the first match by collar choke from the back, lost the second very fast due to an armbar from guard, won the last by points 8-0, I was on the guy's back most of the match.

The adrenaline was something of a problem. I was not nervous the day/night before like I was in the last comp. I did get nervous close before my first match and I went out really hard and ended up being harsh on the guy with a knee on belly without meaning to. The second match I went out too calm and this may explain how i fell into an armbar. Third match was "just right" I think.

Driving back home I felt almost sick for some of it. felt it in my gut - the after effects. I guess the only thing to do is to keep competing till I get used to it.

My conditioning seemed pretty solid. I never really got tired in a serious way, although I was on top most of the time. I kept coughing between matches for some reason, like I had been choked but I hadn't.

Overall I feel this was my best competition so far though.

Jacob Rowell
10-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Good job Reed.

3rd is great, and I'm sure you'll do even better next comp. Glad you're getting something out of the book too.

Reed Winn
10-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks Jake. I like the book a lot and I am sold on the novice program it contains. I want to start it Monday. I'll record it here as a template so I can remember when I don't have the book:

Snatch and C&J are taken up to a 'comfortable' but heavy single and then 3 more singles are done with 85%

Each week 2-3% is added to the lifts. Back off week is done with a 10-15% reduction in intensity of the previous week's numbers. Sets may need to be dropped as well. After the back off week start with weights used the week before the back off week.

Of the form Intensity x reps x sets

Week One

Monday:
C&J
Snatch
Pull-ups 3 x max reps

Tuesday: Back Squat 80% x 3 x 5
Snatch DL 105% x 2 x 2
Push Press 75% x 5 x 5

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday:
Snatch
C&J
Pullups 3 x max reps

Friday:
OHSQ 80% x 2 x 3
FSquat 80% x 3 x 5
Clean Pull 85%(of clean) x 3 x 2

Week Two
Monday:
Snatch
C&J
Pullups 3 x max reps

Tuesday:
FSquat 80% x 3 x 5
Clean DL 105% x 2 x 2
Snatch Push Press 75% x 5 x 5

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday:
C&J
Snatch
Pull-ups 3 x max reps

Friday:
Snatch Balance 80% x 2 x 3
Back Squat 80% x 3 x 5
Snatch Pull 85%(of snatch) x 3 x 2

Core work is supposed to be done every training day apparently, with heavy core work done on a heavy day. My C&J is drastically limited by my jerk now, so I'll have to focus on that.

I figure I'll run this for a month or so with a reasonable amount of BJJ(3-4 times a week), pay attention to recovery and then see about adding in a metcon workout and/or some strict presses.

Some Numerical Speculation:
Given that I did a heavy back squat triple of 220lbs, exrx 1RM max calc says 80% of my predicted(yes I know it's guesswork) 1RM is 186lbs. So I'll go with that as a target.

Doing the above for front squats gives me 127lbs. Everything else I'll have to feel out.

Derek Simonds
10-12-2008, 03:17 AM
Nice job on third! It's funny how are bodies react to being nervous. Last comp for me I was only going to compete in the masters division but when I got there the masters division wasn't until the end of the day and the adult blue belt was the very first match on one of the mats. So I said why not and jumped right in. I was the very first match of the entire tournament and ended up winning by a lot. Then I had time to get nervous.

Once again third is really nice!

R. Alan Hester
10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Good job on third.

Alan

Reed Winn
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
First workout in the new program

Practiced footwork from pull position to catch position

Worked up to something like 125 C&J and then did something like 3 singles with 100lbs

My feet were way too wide, the footwork drills did not help much. The clean, oddly enough felt worse than the jerk.

I say "something like" because my mind is broken and I can't remember what I did, even though I did it less than an hour ago. I'll have to write it down on site.

Worked up to snatching 95lbs and then did 2 singles with 85lbs. I did get under 100lbs but I lost it behind me.

Did 8 pull ups, then 8 chins by mistake, then 2 pull ups

Derek Simonds
10-14-2008, 04:13 AM
I don't know if the way you wrote it is the order you did your workout. Most of the time I train the snatch before clean and jerk. Greg always programs it that way and I asked one time why and there were two parts first lighter weights on the snatch and second that is how it is competed.

Both made sense to me and I have a lot less warmup reps on c&j when I snatch first. And I definitely write my workouts down while doing them or else I forget almost immediately.

Reed Winn
10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Well the order I did it was the order it said in the book(I think). But the argument you give makes tons of sense so maybe I should switch them around.

I used to be able to remember numbers easily, but clearly I have to get used to a program before it makes sense in my mind.

Reed Winn
10-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Had to study, couldn't train at the superior gym so I trained at the inferior university gym.

Back Squat: 5 triples @ 185lbs

Snatch grip Deadlift: 2 x 2 @ 100lbs

Push Press: 5 x 5 @ 85lbs - first time push pressing

Reed Winn
10-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Warmed up by rowing 500m on the C2

Did the basic stretches outlined in the weightlifting book

Worked up to snatching 85lbs, then did 3 singles with 72lbs

Worked up to C&J 115lbs, then did 3 singles with 97lbs.

Besides some donkey kicking action things generally felt pretty smooth and quick. The jerking felt pretty strong.

Pullups: 8...8...4

Ring supports: something like 5 x 20-30s

Back extentions: 3 sets of 10

I had a very good sleep last night, my upper inner legs and hamstrings are *very* sore from the squat triples. This is just cause I became unused to squatting when I was training for the competition.

Reed Winn
10-17-2008, 06:35 PM
OHSQ 95lbs 3 doubles - the last double was tough

FSquat 127lbs 5 triples - felt easy

Clean pull 135lbs 2 triples - felt heavy but there was plenty of pop, good pick on the weight I think

Trained no gi today

Reed Winn
10-20-2008, 01:50 PM
The first week generally and the back squat triples specifically really shot my legs with DOMS. I didn't train any BJJ on the weekend. My sleep was disturbed and my nose was stopped up. My diet was poor although I did have a good deal of pork on Sunday.

It was pretty cold in the gym so I row 500m, then I go to snatch warmups and my right knee feels funny, so I do another 500m and a more aggressive warmup.

Worked up to snatching 90lbs and then did 76lbs for 3 singles.

Jake says and I feel the 1st and second pulls are good but it's catching the bar that is trouble. I didn't let go of the hook grip at all so I need to work on that.

Worked up to C&J with 115lbs then did 3 singles with 97lbs.

Thinking to jam my elbows up helped a lot for getting tight in the catch.

Pull ups: something like 7 6 6

Generally this seemed pretty good.

Reed Winn
10-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Trained no gi

130lbs front squat for 5 triples

Clean DL 157lbs 2 x 2

Snatch grip push press 65lbs 5x5
This felt pretty light

Did some ring supports and then I discovered I can do ring dips so I played around with those, getting 2-3 a set.

Back extensions 3 sets of 10

Did a one handed barbell snatch with 65# and a 2 hands anyhow because I was encouraged to.
Sleep the last 2 days has been pretty solid, I go to bed very late but I also get up very late and my room is very dark. I am trying to get more meat into my diet and have done so.

Reed Winn
10-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I posted this a bit late, it's actually for 10/23/08

Got good sleep, woke up 1min before alarm went off - I think this is a sign my sleep is getting dialed in.

Rowed 500m

Did the stretches in the WL book, did a few skin the cats

Worked up to snatching 100lbs, a new PR and then did 3 singles with 85lbs
I was sort of silly with the singles, I didn't get a good start position and lost a lot of them before I tightened up. I self cued by saying "total commitment" before I snatched the heavy weights and this seems to work. I also thought about catching with a more upright torso and I felt this helped stability. A good snatch session generally.

Worked up to 100lb C&J. Did 3 singles at 85lbs
The clean was pretty easy as long as I remembered to jam my elbows up. The jerk kept messing me up. Once I did the lighter singles the jerk felt better, I dipped and drove a lot faster and more "sharply" and this seemed to help a lot

Did 6..6..6 pull ups on rings.
I want to get used to rings for a muscle up + back lever and other goals so I reckon using the rings a lot is the way to do it.

Tore a callous doing snatches but it doesn't seem too bad. I'm gripping the bar with a hook, about a pinky distance from the collars, this feels pretty solid now. Right elbow feels a bit odd, I think it's from getting armbarred by spazzes and then doing ring dips.

Worked on handstand much later after lifting.

Derek Simonds
10-24-2008, 04:28 AM
My left elbow is exactly the same. I got armbarred probably close to a month ago in MMA and the guy didn't let go when I tapped. It hasn't got any better yet.

Nice job on the snatch. I remember the first time I ever threw 100 LB's over my head. I was like yeah finally I am in the triple digit club.

Reed Winn
10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Once again I'm late, this should be for 10/24/08

Rowed 500m, did a few skin the cats and the stretches in the WL book

Did very poor snatch balances with 85lbs. I'm not even claiming reps till I get the movement better.

Low bar back squat 190lbs for 5 triples
I have been trying a more narrow stance for awhile but I am going to go back to a Rippetoe ish shoulder width stance. I've been told my knees sometimes go outside my feet so I need to watch for that, but I expect widening my stance back to how it used to be will correct the knee problem.

Snatch pulls 85lbs 2 triples

Messed around with a lot of stuff after that

Did some L sits from support on the rings, did more skin the cats, did a lot of handstands with no wall. Most of these were very bad but in a few I stayed upright for a good 5seconds. I also did 3 sets of rope climbing with feet clamping on the rope for support. I jumped up and got both feet on the top of what supposedly was a 43" box although I did not actually stay on the top.

Reed Winn
10-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Sleep was fantastic in length. Diet was very poor.

I'm still thinking about my back squat. Jake thought my stance should be narrower so I went narrower for awhile but I think this has just resulted in weirdness including having my knees outside my feet. Going back to a shoulder width at the heels wide stance should make it pretty much impossible for me to have my knees to far out.

I used to have my toes turned out roughly 30 degrees and I've been trying a more straight position but I feel like this messes up my knee tracking. I've felt some clicks and pops in my knees sometimes using this and that never happened when I squatted in the old way in Chucks. Another thing is that my WL shoes are a size to big - this may make it look like my feet are turned way out when they are not really.

However, it's clear my foot position in the C&J and snatch is all screwed up. In the catching position I will often look down and see that my feet are not even in the same sort of position; one will be turned out more than the other. I don't really know how to fix this except by a lot of drilling footwork by myself. I tried that awhile ago but the second I tried to actually do a lift my feet went back to their old habits.

Practiced more handstands in my room

Reed Winn
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Got coconut oil and took about a tablespoon before lifting.

Rowed 500m, skinned the cat with no rest 3 times, did standard stretches.

Worked up to a new PR snatch of 105lbs and then did 3 singles with 90lbs
Strangely I missed 85lbs during the warm up a lot, and missed a lot of my single attempts with 90lbs after I got the PR, this actually seems to happen every time. I still felt things went well and I'm one step closer to a bodyweight snatch.

Worked up to a 115lbs C&J and did 3 singles with 97lbs
The heavy single felt very good and 'sharp' in both the clean and jerk parts.

Pull ups on rings 10...5...1

Pretty nice day

Reed Winn
10-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Trained bjj today

Rowed 500m, skinned the cat 3 times, stretched

Back Squats 196lbs 5 triples

Felt pretty strong, knees were out possibly outside my feet even with wide stance but hip drive felt good so whatever

Ran out of time to do other stuff, will do tomorrow

Did not sleep a wink and nutrition was somewhat spotty. Bad, but will not be repeated.

Right after doing bjj I noticed a sort of "proto-pain" of a minor intensity in my right knee around the patella area. Took 2 ibuprofin and squatted anyway, felt fine in the gym. I hope this is not due to shitty squatting in the oly lifts, it might very well have been something minor that happened in BJJ(although it is rare for me to get little 'injuries' there)

Reed Winn
10-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Feeling pretty lackluster, luckily the lifts are easy

rowed 300m, did standard stretches

Snatch grip deadlift with 110lbs 2x2

Push Presses 87lbs 5x5

Reed Winn
10-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Terrible recovery outside the gym = terrible day in the gym

Even the warm up felt a bit taxing

Missed 85lbs snatches time after time with 2 that I got. Even the ones I got felt horrible. I even missed 65 at one point. Did a few C&J's with 95lbs and called it a day.

The good news is that I learned and did the Burgener warm up today and I plan to use it on every training day.

Reed Winn
10-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Rowed 500m, did standard stretches and a skin the cat

OHSQ 97lbs 3 doubles
Very hard to keep hook grip during the squat, sometimes one hand looses the hook and the other doesn't. IDK what to make of this so on the last double I just used a regular grip from the start

FSQ 131lbs 5x5

Clean pulls 140lbs 2 triples

Ring support L-sits 2x 30seconds

Back extensions 2 sets of 10

Later on I did some more handstand work, they are getting better. I was able to kick up into a free handstand and balance for a few seconds. I can feel my weight shift back and forth from the front of my hand to the back, this will happen a few times before I fall.

Reed Winn
11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Skipped rowing as I was already warm, did stretches.

Worked up to snatching 105 did 86lbs for 3 singles
missed with 110 a few times. Thought "fast" before starting the lift and was told it looked fast.

Worked up to C&J 120lbs - a new PR and did 3 singles with 100lbs

Did 7..7...7 pullups on bar, 3 sets of 12 back extensions

Derek Simonds
11-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Is there a specific reason you are trying to use the hook grip on OHS? If you are using it as an accessory lift for O/Lifting then I don't think a hook grip is needed.

Reed Winn
11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Is there a specific reason you are trying to use the hook grip on OHS? If you are using it as an accessory lift for O/Lifting then I don't think a hook grip is needed.

Well I've been catching while still in a hook grip, although sometimes one hook or the other pops loose into a normal grip.

I just want to also note here that the previous oly lift training day had a lot fewer misses than normal and a lot fewer warmup reps than normal. I was trying to reduce the number to follow the book's advice more. So it was a good day.

Reed Winn
11-05-2008, 12:32 PM
This is a day late

Did not row, did stretches, skin the cats

Front squat 135lbs 5 triples

Clean Deadlift 165lbs 2 doubles

Snatch grip push press 70lbs 5x5

Reed Winn
11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I had stayed up late doing a paper, I then managed to....fall asleep and miss the time I should have been lifting on Thursday. So I figure I'll double up somewhat on Friday by doing snatch, C&J and the back squat 5T

Worked up to a new PR snatch of 107lbs

Did 3 singles with 91lbs

Worked up to a new PR C&J of 125lbs Did 3 singles with 106lbs

Back Squat 202 5 triples

I felt sort of 'sleepy' doing the quick lifts but I did get 2 PR's so I guess it can't have been that bad.

Reed Winn
11-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Did not row, stretched, skinned the cat 3 times, burgener warm up

Worked up to snatching 105 - did 3 singles with 90lbs

C&J worked up to 115 - did 3 singles with 98lbs

Was tired, didn't do pull ups

Reed Winn
11-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Rowed 500m at 7 on the C2, skinned the cat twice, burgener warm up and stretches

Back squat 207lbs 5 triples
felt pretty good but knees float outside feet in the hole

Snatch DL 115lbs 2x2

Push Press 90lbs 5x5
felt good

Reed Winn
11-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Trained BJJ and it was a very good class, learned a lot.

However I injured my back during rolling by trying a sweep from guard where I sort of stack myself. My back had felt a tiny bit off after squatting yesterday but this is making it difficult to sit in some positions, walk around, made it very hard to roll.

I intend to do a rippetoe type rehab protocol using the back extension machine, I'll research more into what he thinks is a good way to rehab it. I've already been taking liberal amounts of Vit. Next thing to do is a good contrast shower I think.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2008, 04:10 AM
Ice!

Reed Winn
11-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Well my back feels 100% better, in fact I didn't do the rehab program because it seems unneeded but I plan to do more back work(with the back flexed) to try to prevent more problems.

Did standard stretches, skinned the cat a few times, did B. warmup

Worked up to snatching 120lbs, a new PR
The way I did it was not planned and involved setting 3 intermediate PRs so I didn't do the singles with 85% cause I figured I was on a roll and didn't want to mess it up and I was probably tired from the PRs

In the snatch I was trying to cue myself to get tight when I catch the bar and pop up, this seemed to help a lot

Worked up to C&J 135lbs, a new PR
The PR was ugly though in the jerk. Didn't do the singles for similar 'reasons' as in the snatch

Did 2 sets of ring pull ups around 6 each
Practiced handstands in the open space
Did a few back lever progressions with one leg tucked

Very nice day considering I was sick with a cold over the weekend.

Bad news: I weigh 146lbs with street clothes. I've been eating like a girl(possibly less) lately and it must stop!

Reed Winn
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I was, just like last time I had a math test, unable to train due to studying. I don't think I did that well on the test though.

Reed Winn
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Rowed 500m, did NOT do standard stretches but skinned the cat,

did 4 sets of 18' rope climbing using as little leg assistance as possible on the down part.

Back Squat 212lbs 5 triples with BELT cause I wanted the extra support for my back
Using the belt always makes my squat feel a lot more solid(obviously) but I want to use it as little as possible generally speaking

Snatch grip DL 135lbs 2x2
Bit too heavy cause my form was not like when I actually snatch pull so I'll drop to 120 next time

Did not do push presses cause I had to go train bjj

It's nice my legs feel strong even though my diet is poor

Reed Winn
11-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Rowed 300m did skin the cats, standard stretches and B. warmup

Worked up to snatching 115 and did 3 singles with 95

PR C&J of 140lbs and 3 singles with 120
Max jerk was really weird, my recovery from the split was clumsy/hard

2 climbs of the 18' rope

Didn't get but a bit of sleep, felt sort of stiff in the legs from squatting yesterday

trained bjj after this, felt slow and tired

I think I need to buy a lot of food and start preparing meals ahead of time

Derek Simonds
11-21-2008, 03:16 AM
I trained hard yesterday morning then trained MMA last night. I was exhausted and starved. In fact I woke up starved this morning.

Cooking ahead of time is the only way to fly.

Reed Winn
11-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I did not actually lift today, this was semi intentional, I've been feeling very tired lately and sore everywhere so I just slept a lot, ate and drank plenty of milk and trained no gi bjj.

Reed Winn
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Rowed 300m
Standard stretches
B. Warmup

Worked up to snatching 105, felt slow and horrible, was told I looked slow.

Worked up to 115 C&J did 3 singles with 100lbs

10..10..6 pull ups on bar - Im going back to the bar instead of rings cause I feel like I work harder on the bar

Did a lot of handstand practice in the open, deadlifted a 150lbs log and tried to clean it but failed. Jumped some boxes of unknown height(but decently tall).

Reed Winn
11-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Woke up and ate a bit and went to lift

Rowed 500m, standard stretches, B. warmup

Worked up to back squatting 217 but failed on 3rd rep of first set(no belt)
dropped to 210 but felt horrible so I left :(

I think this is due to trying to lift like an hour after I woke up(something I've never done before)

I'll be on vacation so no training till next monday, hopefully I can put on some mass with all the good food I'll be eating

Reed Winn
12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Did not row
Standard stretches, B. warmup

Worked up to snatching 115lbs but I did many attempts with 121(very close misses) - 3 singles with 105

My coach said I was pulling too fast in the first pull(I had no idea) so I slowed down and then hit the 2nd pull hard and this felt a lot better - so I must remember to do this next time

Worked up to C&J 141lbs a new PR there was a bit of press out with the jerk though
I tried to do 3 singles with 121 but somehow I was tired as hell and missed all of them so I gave up

I think I am basically PCing the bar to my shoulders and then riding it down in a lot of cases - I think this because when I thought "bounce of out the hole" I ended up just power cleaning it. I guess I need to pull less vigorously and get under the bar faster

During rest I was doing handstands

All during vacation I practiced handstands and I've seen a lot of improvement. Sometimes I'll hold a nice one for a good number of seconds. I'm not sure how many but it seems like at least 7-10. Mostly I have to walk around on my hands but I'm walking longer without falling

Did 10...8 pull ups

Worked on some back lever progressions where I hold a tucked back lever for as long as I can - not sure how long it was

I jury rigged a wrist roller using only zero cost items I found in my room and I used 2 gallons of water as the weight(~16lbs) - I played around with this and it seems like it will be useful to strengthen the forearms and it has the huge advantage of being something I can keep in my room

Derek Simonds
12-02-2008, 04:41 AM
Very Cool on the PR!

Reed Winn
12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Thank you, Mr.Simonds!

I just realized I have a BJJ competition this Sunday that I am totally unprepared for. However it's just a sort of team competition so it's a lot less pressure(and a lot less money) than a real one. I'll be doing both gi and no gi, my bracket and absolute and I'll just try and have fun and learn something. My plan is to roll hard on Wednesday and Friday(possibly thursday) and just hope my general level of conditioning is good enough.

Finals are this week/next week and I had to go to the bank and such, ended up not having enough time to lift today. I will do it tomorrow. I'm hardly following the program as written :/ On the other hand I am making progress - but I aim to follow it(meaning not slack off on assistant movements) in the future.

Reed Winn
12-03-2008, 03:19 PM
No rowing, did standard stretches and B. warmup

Back Squat 213lbs 5 triples
felt pretty solid and my coach said it looked good.

Today I had a little pre and post workout fruit juice drink and plenty of caffeine before the workout. I got only 6 hours of sleep but diet was pretty good.

I'm obviously not following the program but I figure as long as I'm squatting heavy and doing the actual oly lifts it's decent. Once exams are over I should have plenty of time to do things right.

Trained BJJ(gi) today.

I'm going to start putting actual lifting records in italics, PRs in bold like I've been doing and comments in normal text.

Reed Winn
12-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Rowed 500m, standard stretches, B. warm up

Snatched 121lbs for PR did 3 singles with 102lbs.

On the PR I felt like everything went right, slow first pull, nice pop in the second pull, leaned back enough and got under the bar with lots of time. I could feel the weight land straight down, no movement back or forward.

But! I missed 115lbs like 8 times in a row prior to this and I missed 121 maybe twice before it worked correctly. I think some of the times I didn't finish the pull or maybe I didn't lean back enough.

C&Jed 135lbs
after a LOT of misses - didn't do any singles with 85%
I did clean 145lbs but no jerk. My jerk footwork in general was really really bad today.

No pullups due to time pressure.

I was talking to my coach about how I'm not doing the other lifts today and we are in agreement that must stop(or rather I must start doing them) ASAP. I figure I've gotten by without them from 'residual' strength but clearly I'll need a good strong upper body/arms to support jerks and snatches.

Reed Winn
12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
First workout in awhile. I'm under a hell of a lot of stress these days due to various things.

Rowed 300, standard stretches, B. warmup

Snatched really badly nothing worth noting but it was still nice to do, same thing with C&J

I wanted something 'easy' so I did deadlift 4 singles with 233lbs
felt pretty good

Pullups 10...10...6

Did really badly in terms of numbers but mentally it made me feel a lot better

Reed Winn
12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Today I just messed around with the snatch and C&J - nothing really worth talking about

My handstand is getting even better - still have to walk around a lot though

I'm going back home for the holidays tomorrow and I'll be lifting at a YMCA - my plan is to do a sort of hypertrophy focus 'mini cycle' and eat a lot

I'll have lots of free time and much better food so getting the calories will be a lot easier. I've asked my parents to basically buy me food for xmas so I expect to have GOMAD, lots of ground beef(Ill ask for fatty grades), almonds, pb&j in addition to regular meals. I've eaten like this before and gained lots of mass so I know I can do it(in terms of consuming the food).

I've given a great deal of thought to what sort of program I should do and this is what I've come up with:

Back Squats(duh), deadlifts, presses, push presses, bench presses and chins

I'm not really sure how to work the upper body stuff, I've always had a weaker upper body and I don't really know what is going to produce good results so I'll have to play it by ear somewhat.

I'm thinking 3x a week monday wednesday friday. I was thinking 3 sets of 5 for the squat like SS but if Im going to focus mostly on hypertrophy and get the most bang for my food buck it seems like I should do something like 3 sets of 10. I've never ever squatted more than 5 reps before so this should be interesting.

So:

Monday:
Squat 3 sets of 10
Press 3 sets of 5
Chins 3 x max

Wednesday:
Squat 3 sets of 10
Bench press 3 sets of 10
Deadlift 1x5

Friday:
Squat 3 sets of 10
Push press 3 sets of 5
Pull ups 3 x max

I figure I'll be getting varied upper body work throughout the week to stimulate growth without over taxing myself. With the squats I figure I'm unadapted to sets of 10 but my legs are pretty used to squatting so I can handle it and the hypertrophy effects of the squats will 'spill over' to the upper body. I figure the bench press should use more reps cause it involves bigger muscles and probably will be a more productive thing to do sets of 10 with. The deadlift is pretty much just for strength. The chins and pull ups seem pretty self evident.

I will take creatine monohydrate before the workouts due to the higher reps.

Should be interesting and hard - but hard in a different way from triples or sets of 5. I weight around 140lbs right now. I'd like to maybe gain 5-8lbs but I really have no idea what I should expect - only that food will get me there.

Reed Winn
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Program starts today!

Tea will be drunk and creatine taken before every workout.

Went to gym around 5pm

Did a very simple warm up of standard stretches + overhead squats with the bar

Squat:
140lbs x 10
150 x 10
150 x 10

Knees felt a bit odd, I'm sort of detrained for squats so I didn't want to do anything too crazy today, my legs are sore just from snatches yesterday.

Bench:
105lbs 3 sets of 10
felt 'hard' but not really, not at all in the same way as heavy sets of 5 - it's been ages last I benched

Deadlift:
205lbs x 5
Wasn't really hard to speak of but the bar is fatter and I only have a tiny bit of chalk so I can't really use what I am used to. I used to be able to hook this bar but I think I'll just do double overhands to work the grips a bit more than I get from hooking a 28mm(I think this bar is 30mm or so) I did notice my left hand open up somewhat

Feeling sort of tired today due to bad sleep. I expect my legs to be pretty sore.

Reed Winn
12-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Took creatine(~5g) and drunk coffee

Standard stretches done - very sore so it felt odd

Legs are *very* sore. I had to do a very slow, rigorous warm up that felt very bad but eventually I could do full ROM.

Squatted 3 sets of 10 with 155lbs
Strange stuff happened like my forearms feeling weird during the sets, I normally don't have a problem keeping my wrists straight in a pretty textbook rippetoe squat but idk clearly some of the load was on the arms. I'm doing these sets sort of in doubles with a breath or 2 between each double. Sucks

Played around with Clean grip strapped power shrugs from the hang
I worked up to 175lbs and I could do this for some triples with good speed and full surg. They felt pretty good and I feel like the oly lifting has really conditioned me for explosive pulling(duh) cause I tried to do these once before I started oly lifting and it was terrible.

Did not have time to press or do pull ups but considering how sore I am I'm not sure that is a bad thing

Took an ice bath - was very um, weird. First time for me. I didn't stay in there very long but my legs do feel better already.

Reed Winn
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Did standard stretches - did not take creatine this time

Squat 3 sets of 10 with 160#
no longer sore, these felt pretty nice, hopefully by the end of the week they will be a bit harder

Push press 3 sets of 5 with 85
these felt heavy - pathetic

Did yet more power shrugs at 175 - maybe 20 or so in total
My forearms are very sore from the previous powershrugging and I lost my grip once during this session

My grip felt too weak to chin

Reed Winn
12-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Coffee + creatine

Rode bike to the gym
Standard stretches

I felt like 160 was easy so I did a 10# jump today

Squat 170# 3 sets of 10
This felt solid so I'll do 180# on friday

Bench 115# 3 sets of 10
this felt pretty good

Deadlift - did 2 reps of 215# but my left grip was giving out(double overhand) so I dropped back to 135# and did 3 20s timed holds - these were pretty hard

I feel like my grip is weak - probably from hooking everything normally

This made my grip tired so I couldn't do chins(was not going to strap myself to the bar cause that's gay)

I guess my goal of getting the upper body strong is sort of not shaping up, but the squats are going well at least

Weighted 149# on the scale - probably mostly water weight but it made me :)

I met 2 guys who were doing SS and were in town for the holiday - that was pretty cool and rare as hens teeth in this YMCA(mirrors and curlz type place)

Reed Winn
12-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Squat 180lbs 3 sets of 10
felt pretty solid, harder but not too hard

Press 85 3 sets of 5

Power shrugs - I was doing sets of 5 and worked up to 175, 185, 195 and then I hung around 195 for maybe 3-4 sets

The next day my traps are not sore, I feel like I can do more. I've read you really need high loading to benefit from these so I want to ramp it up

Decline sit ups 25# 3x7

Reed Winn
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I've been neglecting my logs but I've not been neglecting my diet or lifting

Basically I did 190 for sets of 10, next day 195 squat for 3 sets of 5, next day did 205 for 3 sets of 5 and then 215 the next day

Today squatted 225 for 3 sets of 5 - PR

Felt hard, but solid. On the last rep of the last set it was a real fight but I got it. I had someone watching to make sure I went deep enough

Last week I randomly went for a 1RM bench - got a PR bench 155lbs

This is the last day before I go back to school and to the xfit gym and so it's the end of my little mini program. I feel like the program has worked real well and I bet I can use something like it again in the future.

The basic scheme is something like: drop the intensity and up the reps, work up and then cut the reps while increasing the intensity till Im back to the same rep scheme I was at.

Specifically I used sets of 10, then sets of 5, now I'm ready to go back to triples but I feel like I have a much more solid base. I'm pretty sure I've got some hypertrophy in the hamstrings that I didn't have before.

Note: my left elbow feels a bit odd, I think I shunted some of the weight of the bar onto my wrist during the squats.

Reed Winn
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Yesterday:

Played around with the snatch up to around 95lbs, felt really spazzy as one might expect

Played around with the C&J and then just the clean. My form and timing are not good but I seem to have enough strength to do a few cleans with 145lbs

Did some ring supports: the first one was 1min long

Today:
Standard stretches, Bwarmup

Back Squat 230lbs 5 triples PR
My hamstrings felt sore from the cleans and such yesterday. The second set was the best I think. I think I sometimes hang out too long in the hole possibly decending too slowly. But overall it felt pretty decent.

Snatch DL 2x2 135lbs
I used to snatch and snatch DL easily but now my ankles have lost a bit of ROM so my heels are not solid on the floor at the very start of the pull, Im sure they will fix themselves soon

Press 5x5 85lbs
I forgot these were supposed to be push presses :rolleyes:

Much later today I was messing around and got a 19" vert jump. Idk how true this number is due to my poor testing protocol.

Reed Winn
01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Did BJJ for the first time in about a month yesterday and felt pretty good conditioning wise and skill wise. Apparently a competition is coming up in ~2 months. I want to 1) win first place in my weight/skill bracket 2) use a throw

I think I'll need to knock down the amount of WL skill work I do. I'm thinking either one day a week I do the classical lifts or I do snatch one day and C&J another. So I'll be going to the gym 3-4 days a week still but doing somewhat less time intensive things. I think I could train both hard recovery wise, but time wise I can't. I want to get in as many mat hours as possible.

My coach says 2 heavy metcons a week will be beneficial and of course I will still keep up the squats and generally try to do the WL program as much as possible, just with less focus on it.

I already have a competition tested top game plan but I need to make a B plan for guard.
I want to get ok at 2 throws
I want to work on a triangle armbar
I want to practice escapes/starting from a bad position

Derek Simonds
01-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Good plan on working on plan B. Before my first comp last year all I trained submission wise was triangle, armbar and choke. I liked the singular focus a ton and believe it made a huge impact.

Reed Winn
01-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Standard warmup

OHSQ 125 3 doubles

Fsquat 125 5 triples
doing it light cause I haven't done it in a long time, feels odd

Clean pull 155 2 triples

Did this metcon but I misunderstood my coach's directions

He wanted me to do 3 rounds of: 35 sledgehammer hits, 1 sled drag for some distance(not that far) with 225 and 20 16kg KB swings

I had this idea it was 3 sled drags for each round so I went in hard and all of a sudden was beat and only did 2 rounds and almost fell on my face when i went to do the KB swings, later I almost fell after getting up from a short rest. My coach explained that sled drags are "very hard".

At least I got a good metcon workout :p

later I went to the judo club, did various drills but overall I didn't like it that much and felt like doing bjj might have been a better use of my time, had to spend an hour just rolling up the mats and such at the end.

Reed Winn
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Monday:
I tried to do this Xfit workout involving pullups, I had just woken up 2 hours ago and tried to do the workout with no warmup. The pullups gave me a horrible headache that prevented me from doing the full workout and the headache lasted for a few more hours and even 2 days later I can sort of feel a stiffness and bad feeling in the neck - I've been taking ibuprofin. This sort of thing has happened before with pullups but never this bad.

Today(wednesday)
Went to the gym: standard stretches and B.warmup

Practiced Snatch, got up to 105 and missed it a few times. However 95lbs felt pretty good - I feel like Im getting my timing back but it's not there yet

Back Squats 235lbs 3 triples + a double(failed on 3rd) - PR weight
My form was weird on some of these, was not using hip drive properly. I had a very long rest(longer than normal) between the 3rd and the failed forth, this may have messed me up.

I had marginal sleep(6 hours) and sort of ok diet(not anywhere near as good as I was getting at home) so this may explain the weakness. I'll try and get more kcals, more sleep and hit this same weight for the full 5x3 on Monday

I've got lots of food to eat in my room and this should greatly aid getting kcals. I've started talking fish oil again at night and in the morning(if I remember).

Later I did BJJ:
Conditioning felt alright although it's so crowded we have to sit out every other round at first.
People have been getting better while I have not, this is encouraging though cause I just need to put in the hours like they have to get good.
A newly minted blue belt said I was good with always trying to escape mount and never let him settle - this is good to hear cause I was told to work on that awhile ago by my instructor and I tried to make an effort to do the right thing today and it worked(I got out) after a lot of work.

I've calculated that if I train 7 times a week(one day of rest, one day twice) I'll get 56 mat-hours a month. This is an ideal that I'm going to try and work up to. Last time I trained 5-6 times a week for awhile it was pretty amazing how much more skilled I started to feel so Im looking forward to this.

Recovery:
Squats made my lower back feel tight, my knees and legs and such have been feeling sort of tight and stiff and weird for awhile so I took a contrast shower for the lower back and did ART using the foam roller and the tennis ball and the baseball for the legs and lower back. The last thing I want to do is weaken my back in the gym and then tweak it in bjj(happened in the fall, set me back a few days and was annoying as hell)

Reed Winn
01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Standard stretches

C&J 145lbs PR 4lbs PR
The clean felt fast and sharp and I popped right up. The jerk felt fast, pretty coordinated footwork, no pressout. So I slap 10lbs on the bar and miss that twice in the pull. Should have gone up 5lbs.:p

I did yet more foam roller work on the outsides of the upper legs(hurts) yesterday but they felt even better today. I did tennis ball work on the erectors yesterday as well and my back feels good today.

The jerking seems to have agrevated my left upper arm(that already felt weird) somewhat. Took 2 Vit. I and went to do bjj...

Did bjj -- good class on top collar and brabo gi chokes. Watched some videos and talked about jits with a blue belt after

Reed Winn
02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Haven't been posting here cause my training has been bad. I went to squat 235 for the full 5x3 but failed on the first rep. Also I seem to have completely forgotten how to snatch. I did get a new PR clean of 155lbs and I got under 160 but couldn't stand up.

I figure I need more training stress and this idea that i can just do linear progress with heavy squats isn't going to work, it also hurts my back. So...I consult PP and my coach and come up with

Monday:
10 speed double squats on a 10min clock
Snatch up to a heavy single + 3 singles @ 85%

Wednesday:
2 sets of 5 squat @ 70%
C+J up to heavy single + 3 singles @ 85%

Friday:
Squat RM(might be one or 2 or 3 depending)
Snatch 3 doubles with 80%

I want to mix in metcons and grip work but it will be less formal. Basically I just want to maintain/improve the squat a bit. Get my quick lifts to not suck.

Today:
135lbs squat doubles on the 10min clock
First one was sloooow, by #5 it felt fast, by #10 even faster
Interesting stuff :)

Snatch
Messed around with up to 85lbs. Felt horrible for the most part. My coach said I was jumping back, hips shot up sometimes, wasn't over the bar enough, overdoing doublekneebend
Basically everything I didn't do in the fall. I felt pretty bad about this but I hope/expect with 2x a week practice I'll start to get the feeling back again. At least my C+J is better.

Need to do the B. warm up and really focus on it

Did 70lbs axle holds for time. First one I didn't time, second was 1min(close to max effort), 3rd was around 30 seconds

I've made a ghetto wrist roller and I don't know the weight but Im using it for endurance sort of. Did maybe 6 "windings" - gives me the "pump" I can see why people like it :p

I've made a rice dig bucket. Sort of makes my hands feel better so I think it's like a recovery tool.

Reed Winn
02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Well it's tuesday - a day of rest due to exam studying and also in my program.

I've printed out 2 month calendar with things I should be doing on it(gym, bjj) and when I actually do these things I can highlight the text. This is a motivational tool so I can see what I've done and want to do more. I'm also going to keep track of my sleep using this. Actually this gives me an idea for some sort of program that would facilitate data entry and then display a training month/week using some sort of color coding so you could see like, in general, what diet and sleep were like on any given day plus is the day very intense, recovery, or whatever. The numbers would be written over these colored bars I guess.

Seems like different types of squatting produce different types of soreness. If I did a 5x5 I'd not be able to roll out of bed the next day and do a deep air squat like I did today. However, as today went on they sort of felt stiffer, "heavy" it was weird.

Got 4.5 hours of sleep but I just took a 3.5 hour nap. Now I just need to read 150 pages of primary sources. With exam week I'm unable to do bjj.

Talk of Theory:
In Practical Programming Rip says to use speed squats instead of intensity day for awhile and then use them as the primary stressor. But I figure I'm more adapted to move fast in the squat due to cleans and snatches so I may be able to use speed squats as the stressor sooner than the average non-quick-lifting dude. Really I'm not even that worried if my squat doesn't go up in the next 6 weeks, so long as it doesn't go down much and I don't get deconditioned to squat(hate when that happens). My main focus needs to be on mat skillz.

Clean Living:
Last semester at the end with finals and all I got in the habit of drinking a lot of those energy drinks. I'm still in the habit. I feel like they're messing me up and I need to cut back, hard. I'm only going to drink coffee from now on unless there is some sort of very good reason for a drink. Obviously I don't mean Im going to drink so much coffee as to replace the energy drink caffeine content - I think that'd be difficult.

I'm still taking the ZMA and sometimes fish oil. I have the coconut oil and in the last 2 days I've been taking a small amount. It's supposed to have various health benefits as I'm sure everyone here knows.

Reed Winn
02-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I've been sick from Monday night to now(friday) I think it may have been some sort of flu. I have done no bjj and I didn't lift on Wednesday. My legs were pretty sore for most of the week.

Today:
felt good enough to snatch
Row 300m
Standard stretched(really focused on calf stretches)
B. warm up(felt sloppy, need to work on it)

I put 65lbs on the bar and probably snatched that, like, 50 times. My coach seems to be telling me 3 things:
1) I'm tending to not get over the bar in the start
2) I'm not extending my knees in the triple extension
3) I'm jumping backwards

I used to have a very standardized start position that I can't seem to get into anymore, I think this makes me get into some weird stuff and mess me up. I guess I need to just find a new starting position

I think he is right about not totally extending my knees, he thinks by not extending my knees I set myself up to need to jump backwards.

So I tried to follow his cues and be coachable and I feel like it did improve some. I got my feet on a tape line so I could see how much I was jumping back and towards the end of the session he said they looked better and they did feel smoother.

Reed Winn
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Standard Stretches
B. warmup done right before snatches - felt smoother

10 Speed squat doubles on the 10min clock with 135lbs
Felt a bit slow at first but rapidly sped up - better than last time. I need to just calmly unrack and walk out the bar and set my feet and then hit the double with speed and precision. For some reason I feel like I ought to unrack it fast sometimes.

Snatch - worked up from 65 to 85 in 5lb jumps.
It's starting to feel better. My coach had mostly good things to say. I lost a few, fell down on some but over all they were decent. Things got a bit weird at 85 but I figure I'll stay at 85 till I remaster it, then go up a bit and so on.

Press: worked up in sets of 5 from 65 ---> 90 failed on 3rd rep of 95
I'm just trying to figure out where I'm at, having not pressed in awhile. Seems I haven't lost as much strength as I thought.

I've been ignoring the press for so long but I now want to hit it hard and improve. I figure it will help my BJJ game, my supports for the quick lifts, give me the large shoulders :p
I figure I'll start on wednesday with 85 for a 3x5 and progress in 2-3lbs jumps 3x a week for as long as possible. Classic Rippetoe.

It felt like a pretty productive workout, my coach said it looked good. Now I go to do bjj after a week off...

Jacob Rowell
02-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Looked solid today Reed! Snatch should be getting back up there in no time.

Reed Winn
02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Haven't been posting on time due to a bit of computer trouble

Wednesday:
C&J PR of 150lbs - bodyweight C&J :)
I was thinking I'd do some back squats at 70% before this but just going into the C&Js seems to make more sense now that I know how speed doubles affect me. Split footwork was ugly but no pressout, clean felt easy.

Was supposed to do some singles with 85% but felt too tired.

Press 85lbs 3x5

Friday:
Slept for 9 hours and then took a 2 hour nap and went straight to the gym.
Wasn't sure what I should do in terms of weight for my heavy day so I did a sort of 1RM test.

Back squat single 255lbs PR with a belt
Felt hard but not "1RM hard" felt like I could do 265 but I figured I'd leave some in the tank. I was scared I'd collapse like I did with 235# so I got a spot but I turned out not to need it at all. My coach said 245 and 265 looked fast.

I think speed squats are awesome. They seem to be helping my strength and they are not as mentally hard as a 5x5(so far). They also don't make my legs feel horribly sore(this tends to make rolling harder). I think I'll put 140lbs on the bar next monday.

Snatched up to 85 and did that some but didn't have that much time to mess with it. Felt ok I guess.

Press 85lbs 3x5
did the same weight cause I forgot to bring my chain weights and I didn't want to go up to 90lbs yet.

Seems like everyone at the gym was doing badly a few weeks ago and now people are hitting new PRs

BJJ: trained monday, thursday friday, will train sunday. Stuff is feeling good. Learning cool stuff, making it work having fun.

Reed Winn
02-15-2009, 11:16 AM
We've started having these sunday morning competitor only training sessions at my bjj school. This is the first one I've been to and I can do 3 more before the comp.

I got very poor sleep cause I had dinner and coffee late the night before and it messed me up but I sucked it up and just went anyway and it was good.

It's just a few hours ago but I'm already pretty sore even typing is weird.

Basically we started out doing hard rolling, then we did 2min rounds starting in/under mount and going wherever. Then we did 2min stuff starting on the feet with people yelling advice trying to simulate the competition enviroment.

I've been thinking a lot about how to "make shit happen", how to get real aggressive with my scramble, with getting on top. I feel like it's working, or at least I'm a whole lot better now than I was awhile ago. Someone said I was "explosive when you want to be" and I'm pretty sure this was the first time I've ever been called explosive, guess the quick lifts are paying off.

Basically I tried to scramble, escape hard and quick, etc and I feel like I got a decent amount of good scrambles, a decent amount of escapes. Last night I was thinking about how I need to just:

He's taking risks when given the opportunity, and because he's moving like he's already decided it's going to happen, he's making shit happen.
http://everything2.com/node/1869948

Specifically with the double leg takedown. I have a lot more ground-hours so I feel more comfortable really diving in for stuff there but on the feet I've always sucked at committing to anything. However I shot a takedown on a guy and got it, even got sidecontrol off it. And then I shot it again on the same guy and got in guard. Just a guy with little training but the important thing was I didn't think I just did it and never stopped(once in competition I shot for a double and actually backed out for no reason cause of lack of commitment). Shot a double on this 4 stripe guy and he got guilittine real fast, made me tap hurt my jaw. I've been told when I shoot my head is down in the initial part but it goes up once I penetrate and step. So I just need to pin it to my traps. I've also been told to keep my arms "in the box" meaning keep the elbows tight to the body and not have wide, underhookable arms.

Good day, it's always interesting to see what you can make happen when you go hard with intent. This time it was suprising in a good way.

Reed Winn
02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Monday:

Figured I could bump up the speed day to 140

Speed doubles on the 10min clock with 140lbs

Felt good, maybe a hair slower but they got faster at the end like usual so I guess it's ok

Snatch:
still sucking, my coach thinks Im trying to do the double knee bend. Im not conciously thinking anything like that but obviously I'm moving in some bad way. I have no idea

87lbs Press 3x5

Also did BJJ and specifically just rolled real light to be like "active recovery" from the previous hard day.

Derek Simonds
02-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Very nice on your comp class. I love what you said "Go hard with intent!" I will quote you later on that.

Reed Winn
02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks Derek! :)
I really like the quote "because he's moving like he's already decided it's going to happen, he's making shit happen." It's what I need to do for the scramble, the double, the clean, the jerk...everything

Have some bad mat burn on my feet from Sunday, trained real light with tape on it on Monday but they became bloody anyway so I'll just let them heal.

Wednesday(today):

Standard stretches
C&Jed up to 115 but it felt terrible so I mostly drilled with PVC and the empty bar on getting a nice good fast, deep split. Started to come together.

Press 90lbs 3x5
felt pretty solid, giving myself plenty of rest time between sets

Metcon!
Did something a bit like what killed me awhile ago:
3 rounds of:
20 swings of the 16kg kbell
35 sledgehammer hits
1 50' 90lbs sled drag there and back(backwards sled drags)

did this in ~8mins, felt hard but nothing crazy, I'll try and do it a few more times and improve my time

Gripwork!
Held a 70lbs fat bar for 30seconds and then climbed the 18' rope with feet securing me when I wasn't moving but not used to push me up - did about 4 rounds of both of these things and then did a few more rope climbs with no axle holds

BJJ simulation!
Got a 80lbs bag that no one ever uses in the gym and put it on the floor and did knee on belly drills. Going from knee to knee by jumping and mixing in the one where you run around their head in 2 steps

I then did maybe 20-30 "double simulations" with the bag by standing it on the end and scooping it up fast like a double and getting my hips in hard to pop it over my shoulder and behind me. I also did some where I cut the corner once it was on my shoulder. Obviously it's not really like the double in handwork or footwork but the getting the hips in hard and getting the torso upright seems similar.

Fun stuff all around today
Found the Zatsiorsky book at the library so I'll be reading that on the bus now instead of going over PP for the thousandth time

Reed Winn
02-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Got 7 hour sleep but felt tired, unmotivated today. Might not be eating enough

Standard stretches
Squat worked up to a single @ 225, felt slow and heavy

Press 92lbs 3x5
this felt pretty good, making sure to rest a good 5mins between worksets

Sled dragging may have sapped my strength somehow, hamstrings were pretty sore. But I think I'm probably just not eating enough.

Jammed my left shoulder on Thursday in bjj shooting a takedown in a drill - presses seem to not be affected, some motions feel odd, feels pretty minor but I don't want to mess it up more or anything

Reed Winn
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Sunday: Had another comp training day, wasn't as pumped for it but I did learn a nice kuzushi for my double.

Monday:
Standard stretches
140lbs 10 squat doubles on 10min clock
these felt pretty much like the last week I guess, started off a bit slow and got faster

Press 3x5 95lbs
felt hard but totally doable, did these before snatching cause I didn't want to take any risk of tiring out my shoulders and missing reps

Snatch:
10 singles with 95lbs
Things felt pretty good from the start, very few misses and only missed with 85 and above. I worked up by 5lbs to 95 and my coach said(like he's been saying for weeks) that I look like I'm doing the knee rebend to early and I need to stay over the bar a bit longer.

So today I finally manage to convert what he said into an internal cue that worked and it was like "Wow!" with 95. Went from terrible to crisp and easy. So I tried 100 but the extra weight messed up my head and thus my pull. So I just did 10 singles(with a few misses inbetween) with 95 to practice.

So basically things are looking up

will do bjj tomorrow in the day and stop trying to do both on monday cause it leaves me with less time to snatch

Messed around with some ring dips and L-sits on the rings and box jumps and such.

Greg Davis
02-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Hey Reed nice log I read a bunch of back posts.. its nice to see ppl posting about grappling training.

Got 7 hour sleep but felt tired, unmotivated today. Might not be eating enough

If you get a chance post a few days of a food log I'd be interested to see how you are managing around the training.

I find grappling training is so unpredictable from one session to the next its hard to plan nutrition/recovery. One thing Ive found helpful is as you move up the skill ranks at your gym you get opportunity to take it easy rolling with new ppl and just try not to exert yourself too much. Helps a lot once in a while to keep the training volume up.

Reed Winn
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for reading, Greg.

My diet can be summed up in one word, poor, while I live in the dorm. It mostly involves eggs and whole milk and suchlike. I'm looking forward to spring break @ home for the increased quantity, quality and diversity of food.

I get what you mean about volume/mat-hours. The only problem is sometimes rolling with the new guy turns into some sort of annoying spazzery and is tiring without being very useful. But in terms of training on the mat I think of it sort of like a lifting week with light days, medium days, heavy days.

Reed Winn
02-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Due to needing sleep I didn't lift on Wednesday. Went to class on Thursday and felt sort of sick, when I came back to the dorm I felt so tired I ended up sleeping for 18 hours or so. Nose is/was running, coughing some, tried to drink a lot of water.

Spring break will be going on in the week leading to the comp and on the day of, this has good and bad points. Mainly I just don't feel like I'm properly prepared, I misread my calendar and thought I had 1 more training week than I actually do.

Squat worked up to 225lbs for a single

Press 97lbs 3x5
felt ok so I go for some PRs
Press PR 107lbs

Sure I could do more if I wasn't sick/hadn't done a 3x5 beforehand. I'd like to be able to press 2 wheels one day, and then bodyweight. I've been focusing on lower body stuff for so long it's high time to get the upper body strength up.

Snatch - felt ok but not good didn't do anything very heavy

Reed Winn
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Was COLD today

rowed 300m
standard stretches

Squat 145lbs 10 doubles on the 10min clock
felt alright, my coach said they looked fast - this is 54% of 265(pretty sure I can hit this easy)
hopefully if all goes well I can hit a new squat PR on friday

Noticed a weird feeling when I got under the bar to squat in my right shoulder blade - might be from building a snow fort the day before or maybe pressing

Press - tried to do 100 but failed on 3rd of 1st - might be off stated poundage or maybe being sick over the weekend messed up my adaptation idk

didn't snatch cause it was just too cold to grab the bar like that
messed around with some supports and L-sits on rings

Reed Winn
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Standard stretches
Did C+J up to around 135 but footwork was weird
PR Clean 160lbs
I did 160 and it felt OK, so I bump up to 165 and make many attempts, some with a OL belt and once I had stood up 3/4th of the way and lost it, another time I caught it and felt backwards. I know I can pull it I just need a stronger front squat.

Reed Winn
03-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Standard stretches
Squatted up to 245(belt) and tried 265 twice(both missed)
I figure I've not been going heavy enough on fridays between now and the last PR attempt, 245 was slow

Snatch:
Did 100lbs once
did 95 quite a bit, sometimes I'd do an overhead squat right off the completion of the snatch
missed some but overall it felt ok. Things I thought about were to stay over the bar and go slow on the 1st pull and get tight and upright in the catch

Did bjj today and rolled with my instructor
he said basically I'm doing the right things and what I need now is just more mat time. He said I'm still thinking about one thing at a time but that will change once I roll more. Pretty good news IMO, he doesn't say stuff like that lightly afaict :) Specifically he said I defended my neck a lot when he took my back but I let him get his 2nd hook in way too easy cause I was focused on his neck.

Derek Simonds
03-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Nothing makes you feel better then getting complimented by your instructor. Nice work.

Reed Winn
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
So I got the Weightlifting Encyclopedia

Snatched up to 115lbs and got that twice
I was trying to employ tips such as:
get down quick under the bar, come up as soon as possible to stabilize the bar
I narrowed my grip somewhat, perhaps half an inch on both sides and I think this helped a lot
rotate elbows behind me and make the shoulders strong

Things felt good so my coach tells me to bump up to 125 and I try that a few times and miss, miss with 120 as well. He says my mechanics looked good but my pull was just too slow probably due to being tired from the previous snatching

Receiving the bar feels much more solid
I always thought I should pause at the bottom to "stabilize" the bar and if I tried to drive up I'd just drive it away and miss if it wasn't right over me. But the book says it's just the opposite and by driving up you can stabilize the bar. Felt like this is totally true

Overhead squat 3 doubles 95lbs

Rested for awhile 15mins maybe

Speed double squats on 10min clock with 135lbs
Didn't squat or do any lifting all last week cause of the bjj competition so I knew I probably shouldn't jump into anything too crazy, also felt slow and a bit CNS tired from the heavy snatching but I reckon I'll ramp back up to 145+ pretty soon
I expect my legs to be real sore tomorrow

Press 90lbs 3 sets of 5
figure I'll drop down a bit and then hopefully blow through previous stalling point, then maybe texas method

real good day for the snatch - think it will be correct to do a lot of singles at maybe 100-105 to solidify the movement instead of trying to go so heavy again on friday

8kg kbell foot raises
I'm thinking about exploring the wonderful world of 50-100m sprinting and jumping but the previous times I ran hard I got terrible shin splints. I sat on a box and hooked my foot in the kbell and could do a foot raise to strengthen the anterior part of the shin. Did something like ~5 on each foot for a few sets

Was at the Y on sunday - used the hyperextention machine with 35lbs held behind my head for 3x8 and then about 30mins later another 3x8
got a nice "pump" in the erectors and I could feel it stressed the hamstrings. I think I will start doing these a few times a week to strengthen the back in a rounded position as well as getting in some direct hammy work

BJJ Comp:
lost due to kimura to a brazilian type guy
I was being coached by a brown belt and he said I did the right stuff basically I just got caught
One thing I need to work on a lot is instantly breaking grips on my pants - this is what allowed him to pass
I did escape from his side control twice and get an open guard - I saw him get a super tight Scontrol on another guy so I know he can do it
Tried to shoot for the double twice but got stuffed both times, did prevent him from taking my back and I actually came on top but it didn't help me
Guy clearly was better but I learned some stuff and had a fun time watching other people

I did not think about the competition the night before - this allowed me to easily fall asleep
Good sleep, very good hydration and nutrition during the game day

Reed Winn
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Standard stretches
B. warmup

C+Jed around 20-25 singles with 95lbs
things I was trying to keep in mind:
meet the bar by doing the 3rd pull real fast, not catching it high and riding it down
whipping the elbows up
chin down in the jerk, good deep split, split before I finish the drive

Press 3x5 92lbs
felt hard but decent - should note for this and the last 3 or so press workouts I've done a static hold of the bar overhead(shoulders shrugged up real high) at the end of the last set for as long as I feel like it - I figure this might help my support in the jerk

Front Squat 2 triples with 155lbs, 1 triple with 165, single with 175lbs
165 and 175 were PRs
this is supposed(in a Rippetoe style speed squat training method) to be a light recovery day but the front squats felt so easy I couldn't resist bumping up the weight a bit
my coach watched the 165lbs triple and said it looked very sound - so much easier to get set up and get tight when I don't have to catch it off the pull :p

I want to figure out how to mix in heavy front squats without messing up my back squat program or tiring me out so I can't C+J heavy - not really sure how I'm going to do that - if anyone had ideas I'd love to hear them - maybe I just underexstimate how much I can recover from?

Chinups 10,10,9.5
figure I need to work these back in if I'm going to be pressing, should help my support in the quick lifts too I guess, now that I have leaned out @ 144lbs they are a lot easier - making sure I give myself lots of rest time between sets

this was a fun day

Reed Winn
03-21-2009, 03:30 AM
Standard stretches

Squat 225lbs x 3, 235lbs for 2 triples
hardish, slow - probably not enough stress on monday

Press 3x5 95lbs
2nd and 3rd actually felt easier, maybe should do a tad more warmup?

Ring supports
2x60s - was pretty stable on first one but had to gut out the last 15s of the second one

Snatch - did many(25ish) singles with 95, some with 100
my coach said things looked good with 95 for the most part, sometimes I get a weird catch foot position but not always

generally it felt solid today - not trying to go heavy although people kept pushing me to

Ring dips
2 triples - hard but good full ROM

Climbed the 18' rope with no use of legs

Went to crappy gym for this:
3x8 35# behind neck hypers
2x8 35# dumbell touching nose incline situps

Jacob Rowell
03-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Your lifts were looking great yesterday. You seem to benefit from a lot of volume.

Coach Wilkes frequently does a "20/15" workout, 20 c&j, 15 sn, 75%, one a minute. Don't hop around with your programming, but might be something good to try eventually. Maybe some low rep/high intensity o-lifting monday, followed by a good volume of squats (5x5, 5x3), 20/15 wednesday, and Heavy singles on sn, c&j, and FS Friday. Just some ideas for down the road.

Reed Winn
03-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Went to a little bodyweight skills get together at the gym
Worked on handstand pushups against the wall - can touch the abmat with my nose and press out of it

Worked on pistols - improved them a decent bit, now I can do either leg kind of well

Finally figured out how to do the muscle up transition :) - I just imagined being in the dip position and jumped up into it - the chest forward cue wasn't working

So I basically did a muscle up with a strong jump off the box - practiced this a good bit

Fun day and I feel like I improved each thing we worked on - also did the shoulder stretch against the wall - Im pretty good but have room for improvement

Did candlesticks on the floor as well

Reed Winn
03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Standard stretches
only got 2 hours of sleep - tried to sleep but couldn't :(

Snatched 115lbs once and tried 120 some
timing was shitty and I hit my head with the bar right above the eye and got a cut with 95
my coach says I should do some snatch balances and high hang snatches during my snatch warmup

Back Squat doubles with 145lbs on the 10min clock
felt ok

Press 97lbs 3x5
felt robust, broke previous 3x5 sticking point

Did some jumping muscle ups but they were not that great
Did some pullups with the false grip
Held a ring support L-sit for 45s

Other gym:
3x8 35# hypers
My back has been feeling great lately and I think it's due to these

After the workout we had a little cookout with brots and chicken and such - it was good :cool:

Reed Winn
03-24-2009, 09:16 AM
My throat is sort of sore, got ~7 hours of sleep today but I feel sort of tired.
I've increased my training volume for sure - but I've been slacking on the BJJ so I think it will work out.

Today I'm just going to sleep more, eat a lot.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9

I was reading this, basically to develop MU:
add a small portion of the transition to the top of each pullup and the bottom of each dip

apparently I want to go down a bit lower than on top of the rings in the dip and then press back up, in the pullup I want to get slightly on top of the rings and go back down

This type of progression was not mentioned by people at the gym but it seems to make sense and will let me get better at the pullups and dips in the meantime.

Reed Winn
03-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the ideas for later Jake! I've got my mind on 5x5 press(probably pretty soon), 3x10 BSQ to try one of these days as per your recommendations as well - I think you're right about the volume/frequency thing

Standard stretches

C+Jed up to 145lbs but at that weight it was sort of ugly
my coach was saying that both the C and J looked pretty good generally

so I just clean and go up to 165 and get it, try 175 and lost it and got my hand stuck between my knee and the bar. It hurt but wasn't lasting but it seemed to make me totally gunshy. Was scared to get under the bar at a level below my ability to control with mental cues

During the workout I thought I had matched a previous PR with 165# but I just realized I made a 5lbs PR - makes me feel better about 175 getting weird :)

I remember when I got 160 awhile ago I was somewhat scared to get under the bar but I finally did and it worked - so I know I can do it with 170-175 eventually

Press 3x5 100lbs
first time to do work sets with 3 digits in the press, felt pretty solid like I still have some more linear progress in me - need to really focus on getting the head through fast

Did some false grip pullups - tried to do some dips but I felt pretty tired

We had yet another post-workout cookout, carbs + protein for recovery :)

Tarps are sore the day after

I'm hoping that on friday my heavy squat doubles will feel better and thus indicate that monday's stress was quality

Reed Winn
03-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Standard stretches

Back Squat missed 235lbs
Something is not well! My coach says I sort of go down hips first like I should and then my chest rises and my hips go forward. So it sounds like I've messed up my hip drive abilities.

Jan 10th did 225lbs for a 3x5 - described it as "solid"

On Jan 21st I did 235lbs for 3 triples - 6 hours of sleep that day

Feb 2nd - started speed squats

I did 255lbs on Feb 14th - +9 hours sleep

It's now March 27th and I failed with 235 with ~5 hours sleep
I did 225 but I sure don't think I could do a "solid" 3x5 these days :(

My coach thinks my problem is mostly due to poor recovery factors, not lack of stress. Problem is that when I had good recovery factors I also was working with intensity at a pretty high frequency. Once I went back to school recovery factors got worse but I also changed what I was doing in the gym.

Judging by my coach's feedback about my messed up hip drive I think part of it may be a form problem.

Reading the WL book really hit home for me how critical it is to make incremental changes in programming if I ever want to get an accurate idea about how I respond to stress.

So I'm thinking I will keep everything the same except do 2x5 backs squats at 200lbs(~85% of 235) on wednesday. The idea is that maybe I need more practice of form/mindset for heavy weights that I'm not getting by just doing speed sets. I'm also doing a lot of Fsquat movements so maybe that's confusing my mind a bit.

My coach suggested 5x5 monday, speed squats wednesday and PR friday. This seems(to my undereducated ears) weird cause that would(assuming speeds were done hard as well as the 5x5) to be 2 main stressors with no recovery time in 1 week. But maybe if the speed squats were done lighter they'd both act as active recovery and get me used to moving fast without being too much stress.

Rippetoe says 5x5, recovery, speed squats is the hardest to screw up and should be done first. In retrospect I probably should have done that. I was too hasty to ditch working hard at 80-90%.

So I'll hold recovery factors constant, first see if just a bit of practice with medium intensity will fix things. If the weights on friday start to feel more solid/form looks better to my coach then I'll keep doing this.

If it doesn't seem to help I'll go to 5x5, recovery, speed or 5x5, lighter speed, 1RM

Recovery being held constant is 1) cause honestly I don't have the will/money to improve it during the school year that much 2) don't want to conflate variables

Press 102lbs 2 triples - didn't do the 3x5 I wanted
felt real heavy, seems like I'm getting closer to the time I need to do texas method or something of that sort. My coach was showing me this thing where he'd do 5x5 push presses, 3x5 bench, 5x3 press IIRC. I'll see what PP says. My coach thinks lots of volume with nothing very heavy is good for the press. Not sure what exactly I'll do but I know it will contain a 5x5.

Snatched 100lbs for ~5 singles
Things are feeling pretty ok - I was told to think harder about active shoulders, rolling them to the front, jamming them up, etc. Things are sort of hard wrt form cause I have so many things I need to "internalize" such as:
staying over the bar in the pull
full extention
getting under the bar fast
standing up immediately
strong lockout

So for the last few weeks it seems like I'll focus on one or 2 of these and start improving, but I then slide back and regress if I start not constantly thinking about it. And I can't think of more than 1-2 things at a time. :confused:

Gymnastics:
Gymnastics is really cool, and the more I read about it the cooler it seems. I want to improve my free handstand, get a V-sit, get a muscle up.
I've see someone on youtube that can do a V-sit say once you can hold a floor L-sit for 30s the V-sit is a good target. I can do this.

Reed Winn
03-28-2009, 09:31 PM
I've got my eye on a pretty, high V-sit. I thought it would be much harder than it seems to be. After a lot of hamstring stretching I was able to do a tuck V-sit for about 30s and extend both legs for a little bit. My hamstring/pike flexibility seems to be a weakness - I always slack when we do pike stretches in BJJ but now that I see they are useful I will do them well. When I extend legs they sort of bend in the knee so I want to fix that and get them locked together and straight.

I was looking at beast skills and tried a elbow lever and was suprised when I could do it for about 11s. I'll keep practicing till it's easy and then see about doing it on objects.

Reed Winn
03-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Very pretty day outside today
Standard stretches

Did a few skin the cats
did a 30s support trying to focus on keeping my shoulders down and turning the rings out.
30s pretty ring L-sit

I got a box to help me set my grips and did a total of 30 ring pull ups with a false grip(making sure to always set the grip properly and maintain it) I'd only pull 3-4 reps a set but I just kept doing it till I got all 30. I focused on pulling with my fists touching each other and hitting my chest at the top.

Did maybe 10 deep dips(broken up into doubles), pretty hard when I go deep. Feel sort of 'things' moving around in my elbows(or at least it feels like that) so I figure I need to progress slowly and get full ROM.

Snatched 125lbs:D
I was snatching at it felt pretty solid, did some silly things at first with <= 95lbs but I started to try and close my eyes right before I snatched, and think in pictures about how the pull and catch should look.

I'm not a very visual thinker so my pictures were very unclear but I've read in the WL book thinking in pictures is better, also when I thought in pictures I got my first jumping MU. Anyway the snatches started to feel better and I went right up to match my previous PR of 121 with ease and then it took maybe 5-6 tries to get 125lbs. I tried 127 some but no go. The book says visualization ability is trainable.

My coach said 125 looked pretty slow in the 2nd and 3rd pull but obviously I made it, he and I think this means I have lots of potential increase.

It was crossfit total day so this made me want to DL so I matched my previous PR of 255lbs with a belt

Not terribly happy with this cause I expected more, but once I get my squat fixed I'm sure the DL will come up.

Did not press, will probably do one more round of deload 10% and go back up before I switch to texas method or something.

The stands were in constant use today and I had been there for 3 hours already and was getting hungry so I didn't BSQ either.

Pretty awesome day, finally beat my old snatch PR after like 4 months. Very slow progress but hopefully I can figure things out better in the future.

Reed Winn
04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Standard stretches
Messed around with jumping MUs - got some with a 35# bumper under my feet. Soon grew tired and form went downhill.

C+J up to 150

Press 92x3x5

Worked on pike flexibility
Held a pretty good V-sit for 15s - I'd say legs are 45 degrees off the ground

Reed Winn
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Standard stretches
B. warmup

Snatched 126lbs
My coach says to mix in:
1) complex of high hang snatch, hang snatch, snatch
2) doubles
3) balances

Into my warmup / after snatching

So I did 2 complexes and some more high hang snatches with 85lbs
HHS feel pretty cool

Felt pretty good so I went up and made 125 pretty easily but I tried a lot with 130 and never made it, tried some more with 126 and made it after maybe 6 misses
Everything before 125 seemed to be pretty solid

Did some pike stretching afterwards

Reed Winn
04-07-2009, 01:30 AM
The Well-liked Hypers:
I slacked on the hyperextentions for about a week and lo and behold my back started to feel bad in the same way it did previously. On sunday I did
3x8 35# hypers
Back felt much better upon completion and continues to feel good as of Tuesday.
I consider this proof positive that the hypers are useful in this regard.

Injury:
So on Sunday I tripped and I had my cell phone in my hand and I think instictively I tried to save the phone and ended up hurting both wrists. The left one is very minor and is not worth talking about. The right one is worse.
I think it got pressure applied to it in this way: force pushing it to the side closest to the thumb and force pushing the palm closer to the underside of the forearm. I know for sure I can't snatch for a little bit.
I've been icing it some, taped it up a bit for support, taken lots of Vit. I don't think it's anything too bad but OTOH I think it has potential to be bad/chronic if I don't treat it right and be smart.
So I want to let it heal a bit and then do a rehab to keep my ROM, heal it in the context of normal function, not rehurt it, etc. Will update more as things progress.

Back Squat 5x5 185lbs
Felt weird due to not being used to doing a lot of BSQs, also not having right hand on the bar in a normal way. Tried to focus on hip drive. Pretty easy weight but not too easy

I said before I'd just try squatting 80% for a bit on wednesday but now I think I will just revert to Rippetoe and do 5x5, recovery(in my case just C+J), speed doubles. He says that is the hardest to F up and I seem to have done that with what I was doing so I will return. Also I didn't do any back squatting all last week so I need to do something, Probably was too soon to go away from the sets of 5 with ~80-90, the 5x5 in particular.

I was going to do a 5x5 push press today but I can't

Reed Winn
04-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Standard stretches

Legs felt pretty sore in the usual 5x5 way

BSQ 2x5 155lbs

Before, between and after the squats I did, at my coach's recomendation, many sets of 5 pullups. I'm assuming the idea is grease the groove or something like that cause I can't really do anything with my hands besides pulls for the time being.

5 pullups on rings x 8 = 40 total

I tried the first set on the bar but this made my wrist feel weird, the rings felt fine. These are done with a normal grip, not false because I can't false grip now.

I've looked around the dorm for places to do chins/pulls and never found any but I'll look again.

Nonstandard stretches:
Been slacking sort of on stretches but I want to fix that
These were done right after the lifting and were mixed together, not sequential
3x wall walk back arch thing
some static 30s holds in pike on the floor, straddle pike and standing pike

Some stretches that are sort of like the supposedly bad "bouncing" where I stand in a pike, grab under my toes and pull down pretty hard for a few seconds, stand back up and repeat for ~8 reps
I've read in the WL book these are good

Reed Winn
04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Did a bout of foam rolling mostly for the legs
Did more ice/hot water cycling for the wrist

Went to the inferior gym and did a little circuit type thing where I mixed together
4 sets of 5 pullups on bar(pullups don't seem to hurt the wrist unlike chins)
3x8 hypers, first with 35# and the next 2 with 40#
2x8 decline situps with 40#

Wrist feels a bit more wack now some hours later, might be due to prematurely removing tape and stressing it a bit too much in day to day stuff, or maybe it was the pullups

Took a Vit. I before sleep

Reed Winn
04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Standard stretches

Speed doubles on the 10min with 135lbs
felt ok, I was told they looked real fast

Mixed in 9 sets of 5 ring pullups over the whole workout

Tried a snatch with 65 but in the support my wrist is bent inwards and it's unavoidable and it feels weird :(

Pike stretched a lot on a box with a 8kg kbell and it felt pretty good, got some nice ROM
Tried some back arches but I slipped and landed on my bad hand and hurt it :mad:
Did a few candlesticks

Reed Winn
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
had a cup of coffee right before I trained
Standard stretches

BSQ 5x5 195lbs
felt hard but generally solid, will probably take 5lbs jumps from now on, took fairly long breaks between sets , had a few reps were I leaned forward in a bad way but almost all of them were solid, thinking about HIPS BACK, DRIVE UP as I do them

Mixed in with the workout was:
10 sets of 5 ring pullups
they get sort of slow around 8-10 but I think after a few more sessions I should go up to 6 a set - I feel like my hands are getting more used to hanging on the rings for a long time as a side benefit

Found out I can do L/V sits on P-bars w/o pain so I did a lot of V-sits(~45 degrees)
I didn't keep very good track but I did maybe 4-5 and 2 of those were solid 15s holds - I notice my legs are much straighter than they were a few weeks ago - I'm sure it's due to the stretching
triceps cramped up rigorously but it was fun

Did a lot of 360 pulls in a tight tuck - my arms are bent on the first part but going back around from the German hang to the inverted hang I've got my arms straight - doing this in hopes of a back lever one day

Did some pike stretches with the 16kg kbell like before, did some wall back extension things, did some floor straddle pikes

Reed Winn
04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
At the inferior gym:

3x8 40# hypers

2x8 40# decline situps

Did 3 sets of 5 pullups but they felt real slow and bad - possibly due to my arms being shot from V-sits yesterday

Triceps very sore - very interesting how V-sits on the P-bars can have such an effect even though I didn't really do that much. Presses never had anything like this effect

Legs/hips/etc pretty sore from the 5x5

Rolled on the foam roller mostly concentrating on the IT band. I need to figure out how to get the area around my hip sockets

Reed Winn
04-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Standard stretches

Did maybe 10 360 pulls
this time I worked on keeping my arms straight(or very slightly bent) in the first stage and really tucking my legs in to flip over - in the reverse part I was doing it slower than normal with a tight tuck and trying to "feel it" in my shoulders

Front squat 3x3 155lbs
doesn't put weird pressure on my wrist as long as I'm careful

Worked in 10 sets of 5 ring pullups
think I'm ready to go up to 6 a set next time

The 360 pulls felt good so I messed with tight tuck back levers - did idk how many but a lot, they actually got better as I went along and got the feel of it - idk how long the average hold time was but I'd say maybe 15-20s this might be more than it is so I'll get someone to time it next time

After doing tight tuck back levers I did a few with a fairly straight torso but tucked legs - obviously harder but still got ok hold times

Tried it once in the straddle and fell right through

Deadlift 5x225lbs
shoes + hook grip, dropping them at the top

The back lever progressions are fun, hard to time though. Besides wanting to do levers as an end goal I expect doing lots of 360s and levers and such will make my shoulders more solid for Oly lifting and bjj

Worked on back extentions and pike stretches, also straddle pike on the floor
I'm using the kbell to pull me down but also pulling hard on a fat bar on the floor to pull me down for a few seconds and doing many reps of this - it seems to be working cause I can now get my wrists at the level of my shoe soles

Tried to snatch the bar but it still feels weird on the wrist

Reed Winn
04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
These are all mixed together randomly:

Ring dips: 5, 3, 4, 5, 3
8 sets of 6 ring pullups
5 x 30s ring supports
10 360 pulls

Pullups were hard
Suprised at how many dips I could do - these are all with good ROM
360 pulls done with as little momentum of the legs as possible - makes it harder obviously - done in the tight tuck

Im making sure to keep my chest up, arms locked back straight in the supports, not yet strong enough to turn the rings out for a long time

Speed doubles on 10min clock with 140lbs
think Ill stay with this weight for awhile

Reed Winn
04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I've installed a tumbling mat in my room.

Today I did a little thing:
10 times in a cycle:
Candlestick
drop legs onto mat behind head
go forward into pike stretch
do an "arch" pressing up off the mat face up hips high so it's like a wall bridge sort of

obviously trying to extend full ROM for each one

I soaked my wrist in a bucket of hot water till it felt nice and relaxed
Being careful I tried to max pain free ROM in the following things:
palm down lean forward and both sides
palm up lean forward(have to be most careful with this)
stretching with palm down on first knuckle
holding hand thumb up and loose sort of whip it back and forth as a dynamic stretch

Suprisingly this felt great :) , I never felt any real pain or discomfort and I got the full ROM needed to handstand(pressure on hand is much much less than 1/2 bodyweight though obviously)

Did the same for the other wrist although obviously I went more aggressively
I'm doing pushups from the knees with my bad hand in a fist and the left one palm up to do 10 back of hand to fist pushups - trying to lean to the left
also doing similar for first knuckle pushups

Did enough sets to equal 20 fingertip pushups(4-5 in a set)

My wrist feels better - I will try to do this above routine every day or at least 90% of the days

Reed Winn
04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I went to the doc in the box and got a nice little wrist brace. He says it's a L-T grade 2 sprain and I must keep it from tearing more. So it seems stretching it is a bad idea. I'm supposed to keep the brace on for 1-2 weeks and then get it looked at again.

5x5 with 200lbs squat
felt hard but I think it was partly due to taking too much coffee prior - probably only one cup was needed

did 10 360 pulls
these are feeling much easier but I tried extending the tuck a bit and it was impossible

Did 3x6 pullups and then I tried 20lbs extra and suprisingly it was not that hard
so I did 2 triples with 20 and then 5 more with 10lbs
I figure I'll do a mix each week of unweighted high volume and some weighted stuff one day a week and try to progress in both # and weight maybe every 1-2 weeks
I dropped down to 10lbs cause I figure I should build up slowly as it's a different sort of stress

The brace seems to make it very weird to do any ring support work cause it sort of shunts all the pressure to my thumb

Went over to the other gym and did some wall walk things
3x8 with 40lbs hyper
some weighted pike stretches

Reed Winn
04-22-2009, 08:28 PM
11 sets of 6 pullups
these are feeling strong - probably bump up to 7 a set next week
not really feeling any soreness or irritation in the bicep/elbow area

Got someone to time me in a tight tuck back lever and got 23 seconds
clearly was overestimating my times before :p but now I have a better idea of what it feels like to do it that long. Did more TTBLs till I thought I got around 60 seconds total but I can't really measure it by myself

Did more TT 360 pulls, getting more comfortable with it - I'm seeing about extending into an advanced tuck from the inverted hang and going down slowly with this but it's hard

BSQ 160lbs 2 sets of 5
can't FSQ with the brace so this is my recovery day - legs felt sore but not anything like last week

Deadlift 230lbs x 5
dropping it at the top like before, felt better, less back rounding

Reed Winn
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm sold on doing the 2nd Mass Gain program this summer

so I figure I'll keep doing what I'm doing till I leave school, then train at the Y at home, maybe deload a bit in the second week, come back and test my 1RMs and then run the program with the addition of ringwork and gymnastic skill work

In the meantime I'll be rehabbing my wrist and attending the Wilkes seminar and suchlike

My goals are obviously to gain functional mass, get my 1RMs up and also improve relative strength somewhat

Reed Winn
04-25-2009, 04:18 PM
10 more advanced 360's
I'm going up to the inverted hang with minimal swinging, arms locked in a tight tuck, from the inverted hang I extend into an advanced tuck and try to go slowly into the german hang, go back up in a tight tuck, slowly lower through a tight tuck FL

Ring pullups - 7 triples with 12.5lbs

Speed doubles @ 140lbs
felt fairly fast, sometimes so fast they were out of control - maybe I need to up the weight

Did some pike stretching

Reed Winn
04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
had woken up about an hour before this, no meal, however it felt pretty decent

Squat 205lbs 5x5
felt pretty good

Ring pullups 10 sets of 7
Im pretty pleased with my progress thus far, not even a hint of pain in the elbows and these only really got a bit hard on the last set

Did maybe 70 seconds total worth of tuck back levers
I'm putting a clock down on the floor to get a feel for my time
I can't do what I think of as a "real advanced tuck" but I can do something inbetween a tight tuck and an advanced tuck where my back is basically straight but my upper legs are not 90 degrees to my torso

it's a bit tricky to figure out when I'm parallel to the ground

messed with some TTFLs

Reed Winn
04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Got noooo sleep due to working/studying

7 triples pullups @ 15lbs
felt "pressure" in left elbow

Back squat 170lbs 2x5

Deadlift 235lbs x 5

Did some fairly good weighted pike stretching, back wall walks, straddle pike

I can do like 3-5 ring dips but I always feel like a shifting of a tendon or something in the rear of my elbow(s) - no pain but it feels like a lateral movement and sometimes is audible

Also feel it even on ring pushups with the rings very high, idk what to make of it - maybe congenital defect ? the real question is if I start training dips hard will it cause problems?

maybe it's like poppy knees where it isn't really a problem just sounds like one
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Reed Winn
05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
slept all day on friday

Speed doubles 140lbs
felt pretty fast

10 sets of 8 pullups
reasonable

Did a decent bit of ring support work making sure to turn the rings way out - only holding the set for about 5 seconds generally

Reed Winn
05-05-2009, 03:24 PM
BSQ 5x5 210lbs
felt hard but not too hard

Weighted pullups 7 triples with 17.5lbs

Did some pike and pancake stretches

Reed Winn
05-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Back squat 5x170lbs

this person keeps bothering me to do a crossfit workout every time I go to the gym, although today it was a CFT for 3RM so it wasn't exactly unknown to me

I was going to do something like 8x10 pullups but I quit after a set because I felt tired and I figured that I've been doing pullup stuff for a few weeks now so I should rest for a week or so

Deadlift 240lbs x 4
didn't get the last one like I wanted, maybe deload slightly

I did some good supports, rings turned very far out and I'm pretty sure I'm 95% off the straps for a total of around 60s in ~10-12 second blocks

I haven't been stretching as well as I might over the last few weeks but today I seemed to make a "breakthrough" although not a major one. I've been doing standing pikes with a dumbell and I pull myself down on the dumbell and hold this active stretch for like 30s, quite quickly I could lightly touch my chest to my legs

I went to do a V-sit on the P-bar but I found I still can't do one that is very high even with flexibility so it's clear I need more strength

I have bought parallettes

Did maybe ~45 Vsits till I got a total of 60s

Reed Winn
05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
For about the past 2 weeks I've been at home and mostly resting.

Been working a lot on leg and back flexibility. Pike, straddle, splits, candle, pancake, calf, bridges

I was working on the parallettes but I think I got too aggressive because my right palm in the lower left(palm facing me) area feels weird if I put pressure on it with the bar. It feels like a nerve thing. So I've given that a rest.

I've been rehabbing my wrist a lot and it got good enough that I've started doing regular wall-handstands easing into it gradually.

On Tuesday I went to the gym and snatched and C+Jed for the first time in a looong time
Snatched up to 100lbs - very few misses felt pretty good
Cleaned up to 135 but it felt terrible, jerk was horrible

I hit my left knee right above the knee cap on a wall and this seems to have hurt my knee making clean squats feel weird.

Yesterday I did some walk/sprinting for fun nothing too crazy.

I've also been doing foam rolling but not as much as I should be.

So pretty much I've been destressing, working on skills and flexibility mostly. I'm very eager to:
1) on sunday do the WL seminar with Wilkes
2) start the 2nd Mass Gain Program
3) do the GOMAD + other food

I want that solid handstand! I was working on it with the p-bars till my hand got weird, now I'm working on belly-to-the-wall wall-handstands trying to get my wrists as close as possible.

Brian Solar
05-22-2009, 10:37 AM
If you start drinking a GOMAD, make sure to build up to it, or you will be spending a lot of time sitting in the bathroom.

Reed Winn
05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Good tip. I've done the GOMAD before and building up/using lactase pills at least at first seems to help.

I've been slacking on the log.

So I went to the seminar on Sunday and had a lot of fun.
The biggest tips I picked up were:
return my grip to the width I had before the most recent change
try to keep the shoulders over the bar in the pull till the last second(aka don't pull back)
ARCH harder in the start

Got a compliment on my lifting from Coach :)

Haven't been to the gym after that, I've been doing BJJ for the past 3 days though
Been working on my stomach to the wall handstands for the past few days

I've been really tired from BJJ and going to bed really early(for me) so I've not been keeping up with my frog stands and some other stuff.

Today I tested myself on the P-bars and I found the weird tingling problem in my hand seems to be gone. So I will stay mostly on the floor but do frog stands on the bars - hopefully this will be low enough stress to not trigger the problem again.

STW HS:
30s, 30s, 30s, 30s - all submaximal times of course
I'm not doing these like Coach S says in terms of progression. He says do 10mins total once a week and then add days. My logic is that I'd rather stress my wrist a bit each day so I don't take any chances with it than try and throw a bunch of volume on it all at once.

OTOH this whole stomach to wall stuff seems fantastic. Last time I really worked at HS I think I way rushed the process and just ended up walking around the floor with bad posture. Already I'm feeling stronger by staying on the wall and I can focus on good posture and gradually shift more and more weight off the wall.

Reed Winn
05-29-2009, 11:10 PM
So I went back to the gym and skipped bjj.

Did 12 deadhands on the rings, then 11 - both of these were pretty much max effort

Snatched up to 120lbs, took me a few tries to get this but when I hit it, it felt pretty good

Clean and jerked up to, IIRC, 155lbs
Cleaned 165lbs

I almost cleaned 175lbs, pull felt fine, form was solid, I caught the bounce and came up from the squat like 2/3rds of the way(although it felt like I was in the hole by my coach was watching) but I just flat out wasn't strong enough to stand up
I tried again and the same thing happened

This seems really encouraging because I'm not getting scared or anything and Im catching the bounce, I just need more fsquat strength

Weighing in at around 142lbs or so

Felt like a pretty good day, it's clear I'll be able to start the program on monday

Reed Winn
05-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Don't really feel sore from yesterday.

Warmed up the wrists in water:
Stretched the wrists in all directions
10 pushups from palm to fingertips on the knees done slowly
10 back of hand pushups on knees with piked hips
10 crappy dorsal pushups
7, 10, 3 fingertip full pushups - might work up to piked hips on these

STW HS: 40s, 40s, 40s, 40s - the times might be a bit long here cause I'm getting a bit shaky on the last few seconds of these later sets
After this I just got up on the wall and eased off it for a few seconds, tried tor return and cycled this till I had to come down. Trying to focus on making small little corrections with my fingers.

Creatine:
I have about a half kilo and I want to use it for this mass gain program. I've been told that I should "load" the creatine for the first 5 days or so by taking about 20 grams a day and after that take 5g a day.
Took 20g today.

Reed Winn
06-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Squat: 185lbs 10 triples
felt pretty good, think I picked a good starting weight

Mature ring supports: 15s x 4 + 20s

Cleaned and jerked up to 135, missed 145
I had just been cleaning heavy a few days ago + the squats so maybe that explains it

Push press: 95lbs 5x5

core training:
2 sets of 8 on each side 24kg kbell "side bends" to work the parts of the abs that are not forward facing - from feel I think the "front abs" are much stronger/more hypertrophied than these side aspects

did front splits type stretching, some various types of pike stretching, some wall walks

earlier in the day I did some more HS skill work

ate more than a lb of beef today and a GOMAD + other stuff

Im real tired but the workout was pretty fun :)

Reed Winn
06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Tuesday:
Power snatch: 75lbs 3 doubles
felt real weird not squatting, but so sore that I probably couldn't squat

Power C+J: 95 3 doubles
split jerk, power clean

Ring pullups: 13, 12, 10

Today(Wednesday):
Deadlift 3x3 205lbs

Bench press 5x5 110lbs
easy

Pullups(75% of yesterday) 10, 9, 8

Mature ring supports: 20s, 20s, 20s, 20s

Did a lot of back to wall handstands where I was trying to just do a real HS near the wall and only touch the wall if I had to: did a lot and had some pretty good success. I'm guessing some of the best freestanding holds were around 8-10s
I feel strong in the position and getting inverted is pretty smooth, no banging into the wall or anything.

Trying to eat big:
doing the GOMAD, I've got peanuts and I'm going to shoot for a lb of beef a day

Reed Winn
06-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Thursday was rest but I did BJJ

Fsquat 135lbs 5 triples
pretty easy weight

Snatched up to 115lbs

Press 85lbs 5 triples
pretty easy

Weight: 148lbs without shoes - I think this shows some real progress

Reed Winn
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Midhang and full snatch: 75lbs x 4
Midhang and full clean: 100lbs x 4
Push jerk and split jerk: 95lbs x 4

Ring pullups: 14, 12, 10
14 was a PR

Did a bit of split flexibility work, did some handstands

Easily cleaned and pressed a 110lb log
I remember not even being able to clean the same log awhile ago - but it had more water in it then

Most of the soreness has left my legs and I feel ready to go on Monday

Reed Winn
06-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Squats: 190lbs 10 triples

Cleaned and jerked up to 125lbs
real tired today due to not getting any sleep

Push press 100lbs 5x5

did wrist prehab and split stretches and pike, pancake stuff

24kg kbell 2x8 both sides side bends

Reed Winn
06-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Power snatch 80lbs 3 doubles

Power clean + split jerk 100lbs 3 doubles

Ring pullups: 13, 10, 10

Mature ring support 30s, 30s

Did a bit of split work, some handstands, some skin the cats, wrist prehab work with back of hand pushups done from the knees, 10 fingertip pushups done in one set on the horse-mat

Reed Winn
06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Deadlift 215lbs 3x3
no problem

Bench press: 120lbs 5x5

Did 15 false grip ring pullups in sets of 3
hard to hold that false grip

Did some jumping muscle ups
did 4,4 ring dips

Worked on some handstands
did wrist prehab
did a bit of stretching

Reed Winn
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Fsquat 145 5 triples

Snatched up to 115

Press 90lbs 5 triples

later in the day:
30s HSSTW hold with toes on wall
60s of the above - this one was pretty hard, felt it in the shoulders and quads and some in my right wrist when I came down

I've been getting away from working these holds, but I think I need to

didn't get to BJJ all week :(((((((

Reed Winn
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Skipped saturday but I had a pretty good reason

Sunday:
warmed up wrists in water, did the standard prehab

STWHS holds: 60s, 60s, 60s, 60s
I need to try to get as close to the wall as possible, right now I can touch my nose if I move my head out of the correct position, the base of my palms are about 5" from the wall.

Reed Winn
06-16-2009, 04:06 AM
Got shit for skipping saturday but I had a good day today

Squat 200lbs 10 triples
I noticed sometimes I'd be doing more of a high bar back squat by mistake and going deeper than I needed but I fixed that
It felt pretty solid, think I will increase 10lbs till I can't

C+J --> 150lbs
felt pretty good but I was told my split is really shallow so I need to work on that
cleans felt easy

Push press: 105lbs 5x5

did some foam rolling for the IT bands

stayed up all night at a friend's house but Im going to sleep most of today

Reed Winn
06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Didn't have inet access and so was unable to post updates.

Did sort of what you might expect except I didn't do anything on Saturday.
Deadlifted 3x3 225lbs on wednesday
Fsquat 5T 155lbs friday
don't really remember the rest

Slept through Monday.

To be honest I'm feeling very demotivated about weight training even though I've been gaining weight and strenght. I know it's really bad practice to "change horses midstream" as it were but I'm considering doing just that.

I am now living 2 blocks away from the BJJ place and yet I'm hardly getting over there at all cause I'm in the gym 5 days a week. I really like BJJ, I like lifting too but there are just a lot of reasons to reduce the amount of time/effort I'm putting into it I think, expecially now:

1) I want to do BJJ, they want to do BJJ - at the gym they want to do xfit and I want to do oly and other things
2) there are more people that are competitive at the BJJ house, and competing at a higher level than at the gym
3) I think I can go places with BJJ and other combat sports to a much greater extent than I could, say, become good at weightlifting, expecially given where I live, how old I am and the quality of coaching I have access to(no offense Jake)
4) I probably will not be able to get to the BJJ place as easily in a few months so I should make hay while the sun shines(what is up with these rustic metaphors?)
5) BJJ is really fun, not that lifting isn't but idk, it's different
6) It's a lot easier to compete in BJJ
7) Combat sports are inherently more virtuous than strength sports(even though obviously I like strength sports)

That being said, lifting is still very useful and fun and, a moderate amount helps my mat game. I'd probably still be 120lbs if I hadn't gotten into strength training.

I remember in the Spring I was training for a comp and I'd be on the mat a lot and it was like magic; suddenly everything was so much easier and made so much more sense and my understanding of the game improved and it was wonderful. Setting a PR isn't that good.

Combat sports are creative, strength training isn't..

Yet, I don't want to turn into some weak hipster faggot who doesn't squat obviously. So I'm thinking I will cut back to 3 days a week in the gym and prioritize:
1) heavy back squats
2) cleans and C+Js
3) presses and push presses
4) deadlifts and pullups

I like snatching but improvement comes so slow and it takes up so much time...

So to kick this off I plan to do bjj twice tomorrow and inbetween I'll squat 210x3x10, C+J, push press

Jacob Rowell
06-23-2009, 08:21 AM
If you want to lift less and train BJJ more, do it. You don't need to convince anyone else that it is in your best interest, when it simply boils down to the fact that you would enjoy doing more BJJ, less lifting. I don't think "virtuosity" or "creativity" has much to do with it.

Keep in mind, the program you're doing is intended to be temporary (2-3 months), and it's working. And, it would probably work better with more sleep, and a regular sleep pattern.

But training should be enjoyable, whether it's the process, or the goal.

Steven Low
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree.

If you have nowhere to Oly/heavy lifting you may consider talking to the owners and working out a deal or finding another place to do it.

Always work towards your goals, and do things you find enjoyable... otherwise, what's the point?

Reed Winn
06-23-2009, 12:58 PM
You got my number on the sleep thing.

The program is temporary but so is my living conditions, I'll be able to run the program again but I'll probably never live 2 blocks from bjj again.

Tuesday thus far:
Rolled in the day class. Someone said I got slicker and I thought they said sleepier at first but no :) I attacked my instructors knee with my lip. We drilled armbar exscapes - it's so weird how getting rid of all the tension in the arm works so well and yet it's so so counterintuitive.

BSQ 210 x 3 x 10

NoGi:
did some interesting stuff with a single where they do a headlock and you punish them for their poor choices via armbar from technical mount, also did this cool armbar off a frame and bridge under Scontrol that was slick and I think will work well for me
I used to get irritated when I rolled with bjj noobs but ex-wrestlers and they did all this weird shit that was painful but now I think it's pretty awesome because it's so unorthodox to me. This guy got sucked up in my triangle a few times but soon enough he was doing interesting neck cranks and had me so tied up I couldn't breath - I sure wish I had wrestled in HS. I think the only way to make up for it is to train judo to learn that intensity and force and general hardcoreness that wrestling and judo have and bjj mostly doesn't

Reed Winn
06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Drilled a lot of armbars from the Cguard, upa, scissor - boring but useful
Got people in the reverse triangle a few times today - been trying to incorperate that in my game as a control from bottom Scontrol

Reed Winn
07-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Been slacking a bit too much on the gym, need to get over there and maintain my squat

OTOH been training almost as much BJJ as possible and loving it. Had one of those moments the other day where I just saw and took a submission without any thought whatsoever and it was pretty much perfect.

Derek Simonds
07-02-2009, 04:40 AM
I just got caught up on what has been going on in your log. I think Greg said it to me best at the beginning of 2008 he said are you a weightlifter who does BJJ or BJJ player who does weightlifting? There is nothing to say that you can't go back and forth with your situation!

This year so far I have only trained 20 times at my home academy because of work and travel. That sucks for me. I have however added a tremendous amount of strength and pretty good amount of mass in that time. My travel schedule has kind of leveled off and I trained three days this week so far and I loved it. I don't think I can train weights as hard as I have been if I am in the gym 3 to 4 days a week. So I will see where it goes.

I definitely know, love, miss that feeling of a submission just happening. I can remember with absolute clarity the first time I ever caught a BB with a triangle. I didn't even think about what I was doing until after I had him all locked up and then I was like WHOA!

Enjoy the time on the mat.

Reed Winn
07-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Rolled with my instructor today and he said I was basically doing good but I need to relax more in bad positions to escape better

Ringworm is going around the school! I'm scared :( :confused:

easily submitted a guy who won against me in the last team comp

Reed Winn
07-06-2009, 11:23 AM
BSQ 5 triples 205lbs
did like 6 rope climbs

This guy told me what my problem is and he's right: with some people I'll try to use bursts of energy to do something cause the guy is stronger and then gas and get submitted. He was saying I need to maintain a constant "speed". It's funny how I see and exploit it when other people do this on me but I still do it with select persons. Not everyone, just people who I'm roughly evenly matched in skill with but who are more athletic than I. I think I try to match their athleticism(and fail) when I should just play my game and if it works it works.

It's crazy how learning to relax is so critical to fighting...and how long it can take to really truly learn that. I remember many times I thought I had it figured out only to realize I don't. But then again I roll with newbies and it's clear how far I've come.

Reed Winn
07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Going to do submission only tomorrow. I rolled yesterday and tried to play my game and I felt pretty out of shape. OTOH this blue belt I did some nogi with said I did well and was aggressive. I'll be going into 140-149 both gi and no gi

My game plan is basically jump guard and play my guard game(triangle, kimura, omoplata, collar chokes, take the back) or sweep and mount and take the back from there.

If I am in his guard I will do the double under pass and go for the americana.

Obviously if anything else happens I'll have to escape first and just do whatever

It'd be pretty sweet to do a flying omoplata but very unlikely :p

I wanted to be 130-139 but I'm too fat :(

Reed Winn
07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Today was a nice BJJ day. I've been on the mat almost every day for awhile.

Rolled with this 2 stripe and took his back from bottom side control - pretty sure I've never done that before - I was talking to my friend about doing that earlier this week though so maybe it "sunk in" :p I finished him with sort of a bow and arrow choke except I put my foot behind his head. I felt really calm and at ease the whole time.

Rolled with my instructor and he said I was good generally although he said I tended to overbase backwards a bit in the closed guard.

The competition was fun. Weighted in at 140lbs.
Lost intermediate nogi via armbar from the Cguard that tweeked my arm but I walked away with silver cause it was a 2 man bracket

Got 3rd in a weightclass up gi(not enough men in my normal bracket) I lost due to NS kimura and won due to omoplata from the Cguard

Fun times lately. Been hanging out with my friends a lot, playing around on the mat a lot. It's really refreshing from so much weight training. Still I need to try to get in the gym 2-3 times a week and do the big 3 at least or I'll slide backwards.

I'm feeling kind of beat up. My elbow is tweeked and my neck and ribs and such are sore but I'm just trying to have fun, log some mat hours each day and not really go that hard or that long each time, just get in there and have some fun.

Jacob Rowell
07-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Sounds like you're having a good time man, hope to see you back at the gym soon.

Reed Winn
07-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Went to the gym
BSQ 195lbs 5T

Cleaned up to 155 - felt pretty good

Reed Winn
08-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Squat 200lbs 5T

5x5 ring pullups

Cleaned up to 165, missed 175 twice

Reed Winn
08-03-2009, 10:23 PM
People were using the racks so I cleaned

Clean PR 180lbs :)
I think this is actually a 10lb PR increase, felt real good

I went to the rack later and tried to do a triple fsquat with ~170 but my back rounded on the 3rd so I called that a day

I was just messing around, not expecting anything and got a muscle up with a hard kip :)

I thought it was a fluke but I repeated it twice more - it's very nice being on top of the highest rings in the gym, I can see many things, do some L-sits

Did like 6 skin the cats slowly all in a row, held some TTFLs

it's weird how my clean jumped up even though I'm probably a few lbs under 140 now, the MU makes more sense

This makes me think of the "hardgainer: lift a few singles once a month" type of thing people love to hate on, even though I don't really believe that of course

Reed Winn
09-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Last weekend I did a crossfit party
3 rounds:
400m
21 hang power snatches
12 pullups

got some terrible time like 24mins but it was fun(sort of), then got drunk

Yesterday:
Weigh like 138lbs! but this makes muscle ups easier
Did like ~15 muscle ups at the gym
Cleaned up to 165, cleans feel fine but legs feel weak, must squat moar!

Reed Winn
09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Wednesday:
Squatted semi heavy(testing the waters) but only singles up to 225

Cleaned but they felt bad

Did some muscle ups

Friday:
Legs very sore from previous but did some squat doubles in the 200-220 area and a single at 228

Only got a handful of MUs and then kept falling down at the dip position, my ring support was terrible as well so I guess I need to practice it again

I want to get back into squatting heavy but I can't afford to eat much of a kcal surplus now so probably will not work as well

Basically I've been real bad about bjj and lifting for awhile due somewhat to external events and also to being distracted/lazy but I want to:
Do a decent amount of bjj and 3 days of lifting a week
Compete in another sub only in December
Get stronger(specifically get my squat and clean up)

Reed Winn
09-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Was going to squat but turned out the WOD was a mock Oly meet!

Felt pretty good although sleep was poor, warmed up well

Opened with 105, 115, missed 130 but I got under it pretty well - haven't snatched before this in more than a month so I actually was very pleased at making 115 and getting under 130

C+J Opened with 115, 135, missed 155(weirdly bounced it off my shoulders twice and screwed my timing)

Totaled 250lbs @ 136lbs BW

Got to see some impressive numbers from other people as well

It was very fun. :) I felt like I picked my numbers fairly well.

Literally ran back home(the parts I wasn't on the bus) to collect my stuff and my friend and then ran to BJJ. Different instructor, we did shorter rounds with burpees between rounds - was fun for some values of "fun"

Reed Winn
09-17-2009, 06:58 PM
BSQ 210lbs 4T

Did some muscle ups and tried to do a forward roll a few times but I keep falling out of the hollow

Reed Winn
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
My best friends got sick and so have I :(

Reed Winn
09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Last Wednesday I was sick, forgot what I did except squats felt real heavy

Last Friday squats felt too heavy, I messed with snatches up to 110, missed 120 a lot, did rack jerks with 110

Today:

BSQ 3 sets of 5 200lbs
felt pretty solid, want to go up 5lbs each day till I stall and change it up from there

Snatch: made 125 easier than 115, put 135 on the bar and came pretty close a few times but never made it

MUs feeling really hard in the dip, maybe I need rest
Did a lot of skin the cats

Added:
I want to vastly improve my squat, at least get back to 255 for a single, hopefully more. [I]Once I get double bodyweight I'll feel like I'm actually starting to get strong. [/I
Specific idea:
On page 157 of the weightlifting encyclopedia Artie shows a simple squat cycle he used:
Week One: BSQ: 85% x 5 x 3 Fsquat 90% 3 BSQ: 90% 5
Two: BSQ: 85% x 5 x 3 FSQ: 90% 3 BSQ: 90% 5
Three: BSQ: 85% x 5 x 3 FSQ: none BSQ: 101% 3

All % being of that rep PR

I think I'll do this after linear progression cause it's real simple, short, includes FSQ and total volume is lowish.

I want to get bodyweight snatch, I think I'm very close.

I think overall I should do less Oly lifting, maybe have 1 session a week where I snatch a lot, one where I do the C+J and really focus on a lot of bread and butter heavy slow lifts: squat, press, fsquat, DL.

I want to get at least 3 BJJ sessions a week, maybe 4 but I want to find a balance between BJJ and lifting that results in progress on both.

Recovery is, as always, very important and I screw it up all the time. I'm working on this.

Reed Winn
10-02-2009, 11:38 AM
So it turns out I forgot how to squat....

:( :(

Apparently I'm going far too deep in the BSQ and my lumbar is rounding, then I shift my hips in like a high bar and come up. This probably explains why 200# feels heavier than it should.

So I spent the day practicing correct squatting with 3 sets of 5 with 185 done well, and also 2 sets with 200. I think what happened is I got used to going ATG in the oly lifts and stopped paying attention to mental cues in the BSQ like "hips back, drive up".

After this I did a 1RM Press of 105lbs

Reed Winn
10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
So I got more feedback about my lumbar rounding and I think it's due to a lack of hamstring flexibility. I got out of the habit of doing dynamic stretching before lifting and also I have not been static stretching but I will/am fixing both of those.

Not even going to write down squat numbers

Snatched up to 125 but 130 was beyond me

Press 85lbs 3 sets of 5
not hard at all, will progress linear like, I think I need to get back into pressing in a big way to help my oly lifts

I've been able to borrow a pair of extreme rings and once I get a good place to hang them I should be able to work a lot on ring elements

I am starting to stretch each day and I will also restart doing things like neck bridges, wrist pushups, handstand work, V sits, etc.

Reed Winn
10-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Been stretching, got some squat form feedback - it needs more work but I think it's good enough to go heavy

BSQ 205lbs 3 sets of 5
really trying to lock the back, arch the chest up HARD, feels decent

Press 90lbs 3 sets of 5
feels easy

C+Jed a lot of 135
need to practice jerk form with lighter weights I think, cleans easy of course

Did some stretching, dynamic stretching before squatting and after

Rolled out the IT bands some

MUs still sucking - maybe I just need to rest

Reed Winn
10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Sleep was better but still not good enough.
Taking ZMA in the day and fish oil and B complex.

I've started doing GOMAD and eating a lot of things like cheese, nuts, eggs, beef.

Squat 210lbs 3 sets of 5
getting harder but that's normal

Press 95lbs 3 sets of 5
this is pretty easy

Foam rolled my legs and back some

Reed Winn
10-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Took an extra day of rest

Squat 215lbs 3 sets of 5
felt pretty solid, came in feeling fresh and ready

Press 100lbs 2 sets of 5 + 4
missed the last one, got sort of dizzy but also was tired
I'm still pretty happy with almost doing a 3x5 with 100, pretty close to my previous PR

Reed Winn
10-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Got about 6 + 4 hours of sleep
Nutrition is going pretty good, I am guessing I get about 3200kcal a day on average, sometimes lower sometimes higher
I'm now used to the GOMAD, it's not giving my stomach problems

Squat 220lbs 3 sets of 5
feels good, feels like I could do 10# jumps but why get greedy?

Press 90 3x5
deload by 10% and I'll hopefully hit all my reps of 100# on friday

Deadlifted up to a heavy single of 255lbs (matched previous PR)
I think I better start pulling once a week and get out of this bs mid 200's into the 3's

Did 3 rounds of 8 ab mat situps with a 24kg kbell
Did 2 rounds of "windshield wipers" off the pullup bar(about 4-6 wipes)
did 2 rounds of side bend things with the 24kg bell

Reed Winn
10-13-2009, 05:50 PM
My mom got me this big thing of Carlson's fish oil, I've started taking 3 capfuls a day
Also took some Vit D today.

Feel pretty sore in my shoulders and abs mostly as is to be expected.

Reed Winn
10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Squat 225lbs 3 sets of 5
felt pretty solid, nice to be back with 2 wheels

Press 95lbs 3 sets of 5
first set felt real heavy but the rest were pretty easy

Chins on the bar: 10, 10, 7

Did BJJ afterwards and it was one of those really good classes
Drilled with a BB
Subbed this guy Sean I don't normally catch with: bicep slicer, omoplata, cross collar from half guard - he said my omoplata was quick
Had a nice flowy 50% roll with Liz

BB said I need to always have a foot on the hip in spider guard

Very fun training day

Reed Winn
10-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Squats 230lbs 3 sets of 5 rep PR
hard but I feel I have plenty more room to go on linear progression as long as I take care of recovery factors

Judging from the exrx 1rm calculator and looking at my training log history I should be able to hit 260 for a single right now, hopefully much more in a few weeks

Didn't do anything else cause there was a gym party.

Reed Winn
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Wednesday

We did solo breakfall drills, focused on throwing the shit out of myself in the forward throws, was fun and my breakfalls worked well.

Did Sukui Nage and Tani Otoshi, worked on getting out of side control.

Eric showed me a dope tip on getting the arm into the hip in the escape. Basically you bridge straight backwards(not into them) and extend your arm straight back like a shoulder press and this opens up a lot of space - works like magic.

The danger is in the moment you bridge they can take mount.

Eric also told me about this thing that is brutal(didn't actually show it) where you get behind/side them like in sukui nage and then sweep out your own leg like a side breakfall and land on them.

Had some good rolls, got out of a kimura attempt by a bigger 4 stripe and took top side. Did some other nice things like sliding down the outside of the leg to take side, but I came to this from a bad place( don't remember where).

Rolled with Eric and defended the bow and arrow choke pretty well(he switched to something else off knee on belly)

Reed Winn
10-29-2009, 06:07 AM
My cardio was always a weakness in competition. I am fixing this.

This morning I ran about 2 miles, making sure to stay on my toes at ALL TIMES and breath in the nose out the mouth AT ALL TIMES.

It was moderately hard but I'm not pushing myself too much yet. I want to get my lower legs used to it so I avoid hellish splints(hopefully).

I'm thinking maybe I should wear my mouthpiece to make breathing harder as a training tool.

My plan is to build up some endurance/condition the feet and then do a mix of "long runs" and intervals to prepare for a submission only. I'll need to train both endurance for a potential 20min round but also bursts for the fast parts.

Last submission only I had to stay on the bottom a lot cause I gassed and eventually I lost although I held him off a long time. The next match I won cause the other guy gassed.

I want to be the guy that makes other people gas :)

I don't even think I need to be very strong in all honestly because I think my game isn't very strength dependent - more reactionary with bursts of very rapid movement to get what I want fast. I've always been against mostly bigger stronger guys in training so it just naturally developed this way. I never get muscle tired but the scramble can wind me.

There are all these quotes about conditioning and fighters and all that, it's time I actually pay attention to this.

Reed Winn
10-29-2009, 06:12 PM
BJJ

Worked on using the lapel as the Uhook in top half to pass.

Some key details:
RIBS ON RIBS when I switch my base so I'm down lower and they can't bridge
Head down always
Pressure and patience
Toe heel walk the foot up till it touches their butt

We worked on a cross choke and a brabo from top half using the lapel behind their head

Rolled with 2 black belts, 1 brown and a blue - lots of color on the mat today.

Reed Winn
11-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Been doing some more running

Trained yesterday, learned some wrist locks
Hit the armbar from bottom side control on a bigger person
I was really tired but I feel like I rolled pretty technically

Reed Winn
11-18-2009, 06:18 AM
So yesterday I trained gi and no gi in 2 classes and it was great. I feel great in the gi but less sure no gi.

In no gi we learned some pretty advanced stuff about defending heel hooks in 505/50

I've hardly spent any time at all in 50/50 and I don't know much about leglocks in general so this was all very new, but also very cool.

He showed us how to base on hands and feet, or put our feet together in prayer position to prevent the heel being hooked and it works super well it's like magic. He then showed us how to shrimp right out by opening my knee outwards and pushing on his knees and shrimping to clear my leg. He even showed how to defend the inverted heel hook that is sunk in. You grab the far arm with both hands and then use your other foot like a spatula to scrape off the hook and then shrimp rip out. He showed if your foot gets stuck in like quarter guard you can come up, push on their knee and take mount easy.

I felt really good rolling, not tired at all, very loose but faster than gi I think. A blue belt told me to slow down more and I'm sure I'm moving much faster in open guard than I would be in gi.

A BB told me I am doing a very good job getting my combat base but I need to dive for the underhook and cut right after I get in base - I was scared I guess to do it or not confident - I need more practice doing knee cut passes. My double under is my best pass

I've been trying to avoid using, or at least not finishing the omoplata as much. I got into position and then did kimura instead. I wonder if I could take the back with it somehow without finishing it

Saw a guy with poor head posture in top side and did the reverse triangle but couldn't finish the choke, worked as escape though.

Think Im getting a bit better at spotting ankle locks before they get them but Im still bad at that.

I'm hopefully going to go to this leglock seminar on Saturday and learn a lot more about it.

Reed Winn
11-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Nice training day

I picked up a detail on finishing the omoplata where at the same time you shoot the legs out straight and heavy to break them down you pull on their pants at the ankle to flatten them out - it works well

I rolled with my instructor and he said my guard was getting dangerous, or something like that and he said good job :)

I went to a leg lock seminar on the weekend that was pretty fun. The single thing I think will be most useful right now that I learned there was this detail on getting out of the straight foot lock:

You sit up but their shin is in the way so you sort of put your foot on their knee and base on your shoulders and kinda go to the side so you have a good angle to donkey kick/push and then it's easy to hip up into mount

Reed Winn
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
BJJ

Most important thing:
Windshield wiper legs from combat base in open guard to avoid messing with half

Surf hip out the backdoor with wipers(slight jump) when I have pinned their bottom leg and Im not in half guard, Im not in a guard so my hips are very mobile