PDA

View Full Version : Pullups.

Larry Wright
10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I have never been able to do a pull up. I want to add them into my routine. I am 290lbs. 6'2 and steady dropping weight. What could I do to help me work up to attaining this goal?

Steven Low
10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Well, diet is gonna get you the weight drop as you know.

Start working jumping pullups and pullup negatives. Band assisted pullups might help as well.

Mike ODonnell
10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Find a really low bar. Jumping pullups or assists with bands can work. Just do the Grease the Grove thing.....install a bar at home....do a couple jumping pullups every time you want by....lose weight and soon enough it will get easier and easier.

Larry Wright
10-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, diet is gonna get you the weight drop as you know.

Start working jumping pullups and pullup negatives. Band assisted pullups might help as well.

What are pullup negatives?

Mike ODonnell
10-07-2008, 01:15 PM
What are pullup negatives?

Jump up.....support your bodyweight at the top and lower yourself slowly all the way down. (eccentric movement control)

Robert Callahan
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
If you do not have elastic bands but your gym has one of those graviton assisted pull-up machines that can be useful. Just be sure to keep lowering the assisted weight so you eventually ween yourself off of it :)

-Robert

Darryl Shaw
10-08-2008, 06:02 AM
In addition to doing the whole "grease the groove" thing make sure you do your pull-ups right at the start of your workouts so you aren't doing them fatigued.

Dave Van Skike
10-08-2008, 07:34 AM
I have never been able to do a pull up. I want to add them into my routine. I am 290lbs. 6'2 and steady dropping weight. What could I do to help me work up to attaining this goal?

another vote for Pavel's GTG. Your BW will make it a challenge for sure but it's doable. singles and negatives will be your friend. another thing I've gotten carryover from big sloppy barbell rows.

At a fat 5'10"/235 I worked up to 18 deadhang in about 3 months just using a pullup bar in my kitchen daily 25-50 reps total per day. did it again recently but frankly, at 205 it's ridiculous, it took about three weeks to build up.

Jacob Rowell
10-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I have no idea how GTG will work with someone who can't do pull-ups already, there's just a huge gap between jumping pull-ups and pull-ups. I could see the negatives working out, but again, even a negative can be difficult.

I'm working with a guy right now who's ~295, and he's on the verge of a pull-up, though it's been a pretty long time getting there. I used the Iron Woody bands, used a rep scheme like:

3x3, 4x3, 5x3,
3x4, 4x4, 5x4,
3x5, 4x5, 5x5.

With each band, starting actually with multiple bands. So, we'd spend a few weeks on each band. He's now on the mini. He started on a combination of the Large and medium, which I feel ended up being 150-200# of assistance at the bottom.

Took awhile, but it worked.

Aimee Anaya Everett
10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Read this article (http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=165)!!!!

Kris Reeves
10-09-2008, 04:41 AM
That article kicks ass!!!

With it's help I'm almost able to do my first kipping pullup! I never knew how to start and watching videos on youtube, etc. just didn't work for me. But, the way the article breaks it down makes it fool proof!

In interest of full disclosure...the article is about all types of pullups and multiple kipping styles. It's not just about kipping pullups.