PDA

View Full Version : Losing Weight with Paleo-esque Diet

Daniel Labuz
10-08-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm not 100% paleo as I eat Steel Cut Oats, butter, and yogurt regularly but I'm kind of mystified why I'm losing weight now. I've been on this type of diet for about 2 weeks, and it's quite amazing as I've never felt this much energy before.

I started at 166# (6'2", 20 years old) and now I weighed myself yesterday and now at 159#.

You can look at my diet the last few days I've been keeping track, just started a fitday because I didn't really get into it until I got serious about nutrition.

Maybe I should be eating more eating day to compliment my fast metabolism, but I like to keep it around 2000-2400 calories.

I train (workout have you) 5 days a week w/ one recovery day (30-45 minutes running/rowing/airdyne @ 65-70%MHR) and one full rest day, and most of the workouts are very demanding, hour-hour and half in length. If you've ever watched www.mtnathlete.com or www.gymjones.com my workouts are on par with some of theirs as I make up my own based on their ideas.

I was just wondering if I should be eating a lot more, or I shouldn't be worried.

Thanks a lot!

George Mounce
10-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I recently added back in SCO to my diet with no ill effects. For you I wouldn't be worried.

Daniel Labuz
10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm not particularly worried about SCO, but I probably am going to drop them and add some fruit into my breakfast instead. My breakfast is already 900-1000 calories, consisting of 2 eggs, 2 tsp fish oil, half sausage, SCO, 1/3 tsp honey, and a few walnuts and pecans. I figure if I cut out the SCO I could drop a few calories.

But I'm wondering if I should be actually taking in more calories than 2000-2400 since I'm losing weight apparently and I don't want to go into the underweight category!
I would like to stay a healthy 165, but I might have to eat more correct?

Fenthis Glusos
10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I am in "that underweight category" at 22 years of age, 5'9" 122 lbs, and there is nothing wrong with being a little underweight unless you have some sort of illness or if you're dieting strictly against your genetics (I eat around 2,500-3,000 cals which is a normal amount). I feel and look fine (I think) but I also have to consume some grains, so I still eat a portion of rice with my dinner and on somedays, oatmeal for breakfast. Of course I never cared to be big and bulky either. I also consume dairy, but as of late, instead of drinking milk, I've been drinking yogurt water -- as I love sour drinks.

staple vegetables for me are spinach and broccoli.

Liam Dougherty Springer
10-08-2008, 04:35 PM
But I'm wondering if I should be actually taking in more calories than 2000-2400 since I'm losing weight apparently and I don't want to go into the underweight category!
I would like to stay a healthy 165, but I might have to eat more correct?

Definatly don't eat less.... If your activity level is that high be sure you are getting close to 1g of protein/#LBM. Other than that 2000-2400kcal sounds like plenty as long as your intention is to remain very lean and just maintain performance. Also be sure you are recovering enough for your work outs 1 day might work out for a few weeks but then I would need a few days off in a row.

Daniel Labuz
10-09-2008, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I haven't been hitting the protein intake as much as I would like. Started taking some protein supplements because university has been quite crazy these last 2 weeks with ample papers due so I couldn't cook very often.

My schedule is never set in stone though, like this weekend I'll be gone for 4 days so I won't be training as hard then, although I am hiking up 4-5 Adirondack High Peaks so I'll still be active but probably not as much as if I was training. So days I get to go hike or climb in the mountains I treat as recovery days as well.

George Mounce
10-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Also - 2 weeks of better choices for anyone would make them feel better. You need more time to see some real results.

Darryl Shaw
10-11-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm not 100% paleo as I eat Steel Cut Oats, butter, and yogurt regularly but I'm kind of mystified why I'm losing weight now. I've been on this type of diet for about 2 weeks, and it's quite amazing as I've never felt this much energy before.

Daniel, your weight loss is easily explained - you've reduced your carbohydrate intake so you've lost some glycogen and water.