PDA

View Full Version : Need studies for paper

Greg Battaglia
10-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm writing a research paper on the effects of low-carbohydrate diets on cardiovascular disease risk. I was able to find a few good studies, but most of the ones I wanted required a payment to view. I'm broke, so buying studies isn't an option. Anybody have any good ones that I might've missed?

Garrett Smith
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Greg,
Your best bet will be to get familiar with your local medical library.

Find the study abstracts you want on PubMed. Save them to your own account on My NCBI--it's on the same page.

Go to the med library, bring up your list of studies, then:
--if there is a journal link (usually a small rectangular box to the right of the screen), then click through, if your med library has a subscription it will put you through to the file, then you only either have to save it to a jumpdrive (or email it to yourself) or pay for the printing price
--if it is an old journal, you may have to go find the hardcopy study in the journals.

Hope that helps. I've been a research assistant for several groups, so I'm pretty familiar with the low-cost approach to getting full studies. I wish I had more time to do it these days, my nightshade study list is over 400 docs at this point!

Greg Battaglia
10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks, I didn't know I could do that. I've been doing a bit of surfing over the last 15 mins or so and found a few good studies through my schools library. It's only a 5 page paper so I may not need much more. Regardless, that will definitely help me in the future with other papers. Thanks a bunch!

Mike ODonnell
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
this may help as well
http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/users/jyelon/lowcarb.med/

Greg Battaglia
10-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks MOD, a couple good grabs in there.

Patrick Donnelly
10-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Go through the bibliography of books like "Good Calories, Bad Calories." The odds are that a lot of the sources listed there have tons of good info aside from that used in the book itself.

Garrett Smith
10-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Geez, good suggestion Patrick...

I'm sure Protein Power would be a great source for that kind of reference list.