PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit Level 1 cert--advice

Adam Gagliardi
10-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey all -- just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice in preparing for the level 1 cert....besides what on the CF site...thanks

Craig Brown
10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
The level one basically IS what's on the site. If you have read the main page & links you'll be hearing it again. Eugene's notes are comprehensive, as well.

Craig

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Agree - its a 2-day intensive hands-on to all the basics you see on the site. Drink water, and come ready to learn. I personally don't think people need a huge rest going into it, just go with an open mind, ask questions if you have them, and bring a notebook.

Garrett Smith
10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Don't be stupid and work out too hard too early in the weekend. You'll be doing a lot, so pace yourself and don't be macho.

Then again, we are talking about the group that brought us Pukie and Rhabdo...

Honestly, I think your $1000 would be better spent on private sessions with an OL coach, a gymnastics coach, and maybe even a PL coach as well. All the didactic stuff from the weekend is online, whether given away for free or in the CFJ. That is, unless you have decided you are on the road to becoming an affiliate.

Gant Grimes
10-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I was about to say you're going to get better advice about CF on the CF forums. Then I consider the cast of characters here. Don't let it get out.

$1000 can get you a pretty good used XC mountain bike. That would be my advice.

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I was about to say you're going to get better advice about CF on the CF forums. Then I consider the cast of characters here. Don't let it get out.

I figured he'd already spent the money on the cert, but if you have $1000, spend it on your own gym. I put together a complete gym + C2 rower for $2300.

Stephen Brown
10-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Best advice on any forum, ever.

Jay Cohen
10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Agree on better uses for a Grand, but if money is spent, go and enjoy, then start saving for a Cert with Rip, buy a good bar + some bumpers, C2 and of course, some toys to put your improved level of fitness to use, i.e. Mountain Bike, Scull, some climbing gear, what ever.

Steven Low
10-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, you'll be doing at least ~5+ workouts over two days.. so pace yourself. Unless you're very highly conditioned I would not go all out though.

Learn as much as you can before and then go into it to refine what you have learned.

Derek Weaver
10-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I attended a level 1 CF cert. and thought it was actually a great experience. I'd been injured and was poorly conditioned, but I went balls out and did fine.

I was sore for maybe 3 days afterwards, but not to where I couldn't function.

I'd just continue to work hard, maybe take the day off Friday (especially if it's a travel day) and then enjoy the weekend.

The atmosphere is awesome, the information is solid and some of the information on affiliation is good too.

You could get better at the barbell stuff by going to a barbell cert., the oly stuff by going to a Coach B. cert or a PMenu seminar etc. Or you could find out just how hard you're not working now by going and hitting it with a bunch of people who are like minded.

Just my two cents.

Mike ODonnell
10-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I guess the question is what are you planning to do with the cert? Use it professionally or just because you want to spend $1000 on a fun weekend? Professional advice, get a CSCS of NCSA-CPT. Fun weekend....go to a tropical island with a hot girl and drink while getting tan....you can do burpees on the beach and pullups on the coconut tree for free.

Peter Dell'Orto
10-11-2008, 06:12 PM
I get the impression people think the CF Level 1 cert isn't worth the money. :D

Is it that it's not worth $1000, or that it's not worth it at any price?

Steven Low
10-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Well, I think the [main] point is that anything you'll learn at L1 cert you can find on the Interwebz. However, some people like the hands on approach and coaching that you'll get over those few days... just like some people like to train at affiliates as opposed to spending their money building their own home gym and training there. Different preferences. MOST of the people on this board I would say are of more independent thinking and training methodology which reflects in their and my comments.

If you're interested in affiliating obviously you want to or rather need to do it.

George Heckert
10-11-2008, 06:56 PM

The cert is loaded with good information which you can get for $25 on a subscription to the journal. Definitely not worth the grand I dropped on it. Money would be better spent on an Oly cert(CA or Burgener) or the Rippetoe cert(I attended both and both were more informative and generally more useful than the level 1 CF cert).

Just my 2 cents

Blair Lowe
10-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Ouch, seems like the CF L1 Cert has been getting plenty of bashing here.

Unless you want to the kick-assness of the L1 to get you into the CF world, I think the journals, website, forum, and youtube can you teach you most of the basic movements. I came in with a knowledge of most of this before hand though. I wasn't great at some stuff, but most of it wasn't too new, just their implementation.

It also makes sense to go through the L1 if you are making an affiliate of course or going that way. Right now for a long time it just hasn't made sense for me to spend that much if I'm not going to be an affiliate or CF trainer. I missed the whole license plate free Level1 cert offer unfortunately as well.

Then again if money wasn't so tight, I probably would think differently.

George Mounce
10-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Not worth it at that price. You get a ton more for less at the BB and Oly certs.

Craig Brown
10-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm with George- not at that price. It seems designed for folks who haven't done their homework. I loved the Martone & Rip certs, which were both great technically and for seeing how to teach movement. My take at this point would be that a grand will buy you a decent bar & bumpers, squat stands, and a few kbs...so for the person with a garage, a few contraptions made from pipe (chin bar), rings, sandbag...you are done.

Craig

sarena kopciel
10-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey all, I agree with everything said thus far but in all honesty, he didnt ask us how to spend his money. It sounds a sif it is a done deal already and wants to prepare.

Perhaps he can get out of it tho if he wants and apply the grand to some of those other specialty certs. That might be a way to prepare!

Patrick Donnelly
10-11-2008, 09:43 PM
If you want a CF1 certification, then just get a license plate that says "CrossFit" or some variation thereof, and you can get one for free. Or, at least you could get one for free. I'm not sure if the deal is still running.

The thing that worries me the most about the CF1 cert is that they don't have a prerequisite for CPR/AED... Every other certification does, even the garbage ones like ACE... And if any program would need CPR/AED knowledge, it'd be CF...

The CF "certifications" seem a lot more like seminars... I've heard that the CF2 is a pretty legit one though, it's just not recognized by anyone other than CrossFitters. I have no idea what the CF3 entails.

Mike ODonnell
10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
XF cert will NOT get you a job in the fitness field unless you open your own place....and even then good luck getting insurance.

Most people spending the $1000 either have no real understanding of what they want to do with it and have the expendible income.....or already have the certs neccesary to open a fitness business and want another one. $1000 is very steep by any level of professional fitness certification, and while the main one I know little about...the fact that it has branched into other silly certs like jumproping makes me think less of the whole idea.

In the end....you make a living not by your cert....but by getting people results. However a fitness business makes money by selling people on needing more certs. The info is out there for free.....$1000 for a weekend of fun is better spent drinking tequilla with half naked women on a beach.

Peter Dell'Orto
10-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. That's about what I suspected - too much for what you get.

George Mounce
10-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Most people spending the $1000 either have no real understanding of what they want to do with it and have the expendible income.....or already have the certs neccesary to open a fitness business and want another one. $1000 is very steep by any level of professional fitness certification, and while the main one I know little about...the fact that it has branched into other silly certs like jumproping makes me think less of the whole idea.

I have to agree. I went because I had the expendable income. I plan on going to an Oly cert sometime next year because to me that is a real key to my training. I wish I had attended one of those instead of the Level 1. I had planned to affiliate at some time, so it was at the time worth it for me to go, but I dropped that goal for personal reasons quite some time ago.

In the end....you make a living not by your cert....but by getting people results. However a fitness business makes money by selling people on needing more certs. The info is out there for free.....$1000 for a weekend of fun is better spent drinking tequilla with half naked women on a beach.

QFT. Results are what matters. I do think that soon you will see a huge restructuring of the requirements for CF affiliation after events such as the lawsuit. I also believe you'll see a lot less people being accepted as affiliates, so take that into account, level 1 is not enough these days. The customer is way too smart, considering the amount of free information available about CrossFit.

If you spend $1000 on tequila, please invite me, and it better be the good stuff.

But again, if the money is spent, rest 1 day prior, brink a notebook, bring a list of questions you want answered, and be prepared for 4-5 workouts while there. Water helps a lot. Don't drink a ton before or while there, you'll just ruin the experience.

Michael Halbfish
10-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Ultimately it depends upon your goals, needs, and budget. I attended one of the first trainer certs. There were about 10 people in my class. It was a 3 day course taught by Coach Glassman at CFHQ.

I found that the course was extremely worthwhile. At the time, there were no specialty certs. I believe the Level 1 format is now 2 days, and it is taught by teams of trainers.

I would like to go back and repeat the Level 1 Cert as well as doing the other Crossfit Certifications.

At the time that I took the Certification, I was not expecting to use the Certification professionally. However, this past year I started training some people professionally at a local Powerhouse gym. While a previous poster indicated that certain other certifications are more widely recognized, this Certification was sufficient to get me the job.

During the business week I train at a Workout World (WOW) gym. When one of the trainers learned that I was Crossfit certified (my workouts were the advertisement - not my mouth), word quickly spread to the other trainers. They are all very impressed by the certification and some are interested in pursuing it.

Good luck,
Mike

Adam Gagliardi
10-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the advice...pretty much the reason i asked here and not on CF..i didnt want to hear that it's the greatest thing ever, just honest opinions...yes, the $ is spent, luckly i already have a gym...and yes there is the possibility of affiliation...thanks again--ooohhh and I'm glad i got a discount (FF) lol....should be fun