PDA

View Full Version : Any Strongman Competitors here?

Adam Gagliardi
10-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I know this is more of any OLY forum, just curoius

if so what does your training look like?

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Adam,
I'm NOT a strongman competitor. But I incorporate strongman events as part of my GPP training for my sport. Plus, I often train with two yahoos that competed in the 08 WSM - Brian Siders and Phil Pfister.

I know a lot of how Brian and Phil Train. Brian doesn't count as he's not from this planet. Dude benches three times a week and squats and deads twice a week. Phil is more human in regards to capacities, work load, and frequency. He's an enormous human being with an ungodly bone structure.

I incorporate stone and log lifting/carrying/pressing into my GPP. I also do axle clean and press for the ocassional "mix it up" with my olympic training.

I hate tire flipping. I've got a enormous bugger in my back yard that my wife "keeps on waiting" for me "to use."

I really like any time of farmers carry. I don't go overly heavy on these movements as I'm not a competitive strongman.

I also love Conan's wheel. Every time I get an opportunity to event train with Phil, I make a couple laps with that implement. It's excruciating in a good way.

Ask some more specific questions and I might be able to provide you with some insights.

All the best,
Arden

Adam Gagliardi
10-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Arden---that is awesome, i have read much about brian and phil...i have phil's DVD. you are quite lucky..i assume you are in WV then....no real ??'s just curious to see how others train or use SM lifts for other sports

Dave Van Skike
10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Adam,

I started at the beginning of 2008, my template is really similar to folks I train with that range from "the laughing group" (that's me) to National contenders and former Nat Champs.

SM has a jillion ways to structure it, as a lower level guy I spend most of my time working the BB lifts that carry over and then, 8-10 weeks like most people, start getting really specific training on the implements and events that they'll be doing.

Here's a great article from a guy who kicked ass at Nat's in the lightweights, (<105Kilos)

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effective_strongman_routine.php

Adam Gagliardi
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Adam,

I started at the beginning of 2008, my template is really similar to folks I train with that range from "the laughing group" (that's me) to National contenders and former Nat Champs.

SM has a jillion ways to structure it, as a lower level guy I spend most of my time working the BB lifts that carry over and then, 8-10 weeks like most people, start getting really specific training on the implements and events that they'll be doing.

Here's a great article from a guy who kicked ass at Nat's in the lightweights, (<105Kilos)

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effective_strongman_routine.php

Dave---who do you train with? yes, it is a good article, I read that a little while ago, Tom is a very good guy (competed against him and his old crew(NJ)a few times,very good guys) and exceptionally strong....and I would say if you actually competed then your not a "laughing group" member

Dave Van Skike
10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey I didn't realize you competed....my response must seem pretty remedial.....
here's my actual split, tryign to get it sorted out still.

Press Day. Monday: ME presses

trying to fols in some partial range bench and seated presses. I'm super weak there. Rotate in push jerks with the log and axle. so this day looks like:

Bench or board press.
Overhead, Jerk or push press, seated press.
soem movign events like yoke, famrers or light tire for conditioning. .

Wed.

DE squats. roate between box and bottom up fronts.
Repetition Pulls. clean hi pulls or RDL.s. no events.

Thursday or Friday: DE press.

10 sets of 3, maybe add bands depending on recovery. BW pullups and some direct ab work.

Saturday.....ME Squat/Pull day..

Main Focus on squat adn deads. up to three top sets of whatever. Main thing is that I keep rotating the first lift, every other week and the secondary lift and pull every week. alternate betwwen DL and a pulling or loading event.

Looks like:

Like Box squats up to a top triple
Zerchers squats 3x5
Pulling type event for speed and technique, not a necessarily a top effort. axle deads, tire, or stones.
finsih off with lighter RDL's

I train in Seattle. Couple of folks at our spot are Andrew Palmer, Scott Hughes and Pete Markoff. Some guys from the Warehouse Crew show up, Grant Higa once in a blue moon.

Tom seems like a total beast, follow his log pretty intently at Marunde.

Adam Gagliardi
10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
gotcha--- recognize some of the names from Jesse's board...good stuff

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Arden---that is awesome, i have read much about brian and phil...i have phil's DVD. you are quite lucky..i assume you are in WV then....no real ??'s just curious to see how others train or use SM lifts for other sports

Adam,
Yep, I'm in WV.

Dave sums it up greatly above.

Brian's training is unworldly. He normally Benches MWF and follows it up with assistance work. He squats and deads Tuesday and Saturday. Thursday is an active recovery day. If he's doing a strongman comp he fits the events in on Thursday and Sunday. yeah....insane, but he does it and the volume is unreal. The weights moved are unreal. I watched him, during the same week, do the following bench workouts - Monday, speed day 405 for 10 sets of 3. Wednesday close grip day - 545x3x3. Friday, regular bench day 585x3x5. All raw. Then on Thursday and Sunday he was axle clean and pressing 325lb for 90 seconds for two to three sets.

Phil's template is very similar to what is written in Nick's training log. Static strength barbell movement followed by unstable surface movement (normally bodyweight). Weights and movements are shifted from week to week and the heavy event days don't begin until about 6 to 8 weeks out from a show. The event training consumes the last 6 to 8 weeks with the ocassional deadlift, squat, or overhead session depending upon if those events are part of the comp.

Good luck and go heavy.

All the best,
Arden

Adam Gagliardi
10-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey I didn't realize you competed....my response must seem pretty remedial.....
here's my actual split, tryign to get it sorted out still.

Press Day. Monday: ME presses

trying to fols in some partial range bench and seated presses. I'm super weak there. Rotate in push jerks with the log and axle. so this day looks like:

Bench or board press.
Overhead, Jerk or push press, seated press.
soem movign events like yoke, famrers or light tire for conditioning. .

Wed.

Thursday or Friday: DE press.

10 sets of 3, maybe add bands depending on recovery. BW pullups and some direct ab work.

Saturday.....ME Squat/Pull day..

Main Focus on squat adn deads. up to three top sets of whatever. Main thing is that I keep rotating the first lift, every other week and the secondary lift and pull every week. alternate betwwen DL and a pulling or loading event.

Looks like:

Like Box squats up to a top triple
Zerchers squats 3x5
Pulling type event for speed and technique, not a necessarily a top effort. axle deads, tire, or stones.
finsih off with lighter RDL's

I train in Seattle. Couple of folks at our spot are Andrew Palmer, Scott Hughes and Pete Markoff. Some guys from the Warehouse Crew show up, Grant Higa once in a blue moon.

Tom seems like a total beast, follow his log pretty intently at Marunde.

good stuff...my week looks like
UB
OH strict
OH PP..maybe PJ
back work
Light event medley

LB
Front sqt...maybe zercher sqt.
Some form of DL...mostly off of blocks due to sticking point
GHR
Light event medley

Sat or Sun
events
3-4 mainly working tire, yoke, chain medleys, may do some other stuff with kegs, stones, conans,

other days are mostly BW GPP sessions, running, or firefighter combat challenge events or a combination..but nothing heavy. pretty much always take the day after events off

Adam Gagliardi
10-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Adam,
Yep, I'm in WV.

Dave sums it up greatly above.

Brian's training is unworldly. He normally Benches MWF and follows it up with assistance work. He squats and deads Tuesday and Saturday. Thursday is an active recovery day. If he's doing a strongman comp he fits the events in on Thursday and Sunday. yeah....insane, but he does it and the volume is unreal. The weights moved are unreal. I watched him, during the same week, do the following bench workouts - Monday, speed day 405 for 10 sets of 3. Wednesday close grip day - 545x3x3. Friday, regular bench day 585x3x5. All raw. Then on Thursday and Sunday he was axle clean and pressing 325lb for 90 seconds for two to three sets.

Phil's template is very similar to what is written in Nick's training log. Static strength barbell movement followed by unstable surface movement (normally bodyweight). Weights and movements are shifted from week to week and the heavy event days don't begin until about 6 to 8 weeks out from a show. The event training consumes the last 6 to 8 weeks with the ocassional deadlift, squat, or overhead session depending upon if those events are part of the comp.

Good luck and go heavy.

All the best,
Arden

I've read Brian's old log on his site...i could not believe the volume and weight he uses on a consistent basis...amazing.

Dave Van Skike
10-13-2008, 04:12 PM
For any died in the wool Cf'ers that are being put to sleep by this thread, ya'll should check out Kurtis and the RCF crew.

http://www.rainiercrossfit.com/rainier_crossfit/kurtis_and_laurie.html

They have some legit lightweight strong guys there and put on a good (albiet a little weird) event in Sumner every year that benefits the fragile x foundation.

George Mounce
10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm really enjoying the thread, problem is I'm too short at 5'11", and the ejection seat has a max weight. Strongman would be fun as hell as I put on muscle and weight very easily when I eat myself silly. Oh well, not in this life, maybe I'll come back as a 6'5" Viking.

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm really enjoying the thread, problem is I'm too short at 5'11", and the ejection seat has a max weight. Strongman would be fun as hell as I put on muscle and weight very easily when I eat myself silly. Oh well, not in this life, maybe I'll come back as a 6'5" Viking.

George,
Let me tell you something, Marius is listed as 5'11". However, I had an opportunity to meet him when the WSM was in Charleston this year. If he's 5'11", I'm 6'1". I'd say he's closer to 5'8" or 5'9". Moreover, Derek Poundstone is not much taller. Darren Sadler is maybe 5'6". Jarek Dymek is not more than 5'7".

Yep, that height helps tons. Especially in the leverage events. But the cross training benefits of strongman events (on the lighter side) are great, if not awesome , GPP.

I've often joked that I'd love to take a bunch of xfitters on a lumberjack "wood run." Basically, I go out in the woods, find a tree as close to the road as I can, fall the tree, cut the tree up into 26" long blocks, then shoulder and carry the blocks out of the woods and throw them in the back of my truck. If the blocks are too big to carry, I'll wollow the bastards out of the woods, and find a way to get them in the back of my truck.

GPP at it's finest - like strongman - it's kinda like real work. :D

All the best,
Arden

Jacob Rowell
10-13-2008, 06:11 PM
As both a hardcore CFer (when i want to be) and a lightweight strongman competitor, good thread.

I've done two comps now. One back in April, one in July. The april one, i competed in the 175s, got 5th out of 9. The july one, I upped to 200's, weighting only 183, and got my ass handed to me in a bad bad way.

I'm spending time right now getting generally stronger. I was doing a lot of o-lifting, now it's mostly squats, deads, and presses.

I'm halfway decent with the stones. I've lapped a 315. I can't press for shit, but I can deadlift OK.

Here's me at the first contest, if you're into watching a 175#, 6'2" hippie playing with large rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43I5q6DYkUk

Dave Van Skike
10-13-2008, 06:34 PM

...for every event that favors height (stones) there's a short range dead or press that favors shorties...

Adam Gagliardi
10-14-2008, 03:44 AM
...for every event that favors height (stones) there's a short range dead or press that favors shorties...

So True

Adam Gagliardi
10-14-2008, 03:47 AM
As both a hardcore CFer (when i want to be) and a lightweight strongman competitor, good thread.

I've done two comps now. One back in April, one in July. The april one, i competed in the 175s, got 5th out of 9. The july one, I upped to 200's, weighting only 183, and got my ass handed to me in a bad bad way.

I'm spending time right now getting generally stronger. I was doing a lot of o-lifting, now it's mostly squats, deads, and presses.

I'm halfway decent with the stones. I've lapped a 315. I can't press for shit, but I can deadlift OK.

Here's me at the first contest, if you're into watching a 175#, 6'2" hippie playing with large rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43I5q6DYkUk

Jacob--what contests have you done, is that this past years Kumite..i went to the 2007 contest out there

here's a vid from the weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucpy9kigqM

Derek Simonds
10-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Well Jacob you have gave me hope. I told Leo a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to compete in a strongman event as lightweight. I guess I will have to find a local one I can start training for.

Adam really nice work. That chain is awesome.

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Jacob and Adam,
Love the videos. Awesome Stuff.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,
Arden

Dave Van Skike
10-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Jacob--what contests have you done, is that this past years Kumite..i went to the 2007 contest out there

here's a vid from the weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucpy9kigqM

That's a nice chain!

Jacob Rowell
10-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Yea, that was this year's Kumite. Fun stuff. I did the River City strongman Comp in July.

Much harder contest, plus I upped a weight class as I said. Hope the next contest I do goes a little better.

Leo Soubbotine
10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Derek is pumping me up to do a Strongman event in Aug 09 here in FL.

Wish I could do Novice again, but I'll be in Middleweights this time (up to 265).
Going to keep back squatting and getting stronger till then. And build some implements.

Dave Van Skike
10-14-2008, 04:35 PM
You could cut to 231 I bet. Your 235 now?

Leo Soubbotine
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Lightweights there are up to 200 so there is absolutely no reason to go that light.

I'm 233-236 right now and probably slowly will keep going up - Robb Wolf's nutrition cert really helped my out - and going all Paleo with very little fruit intake only PWO is leaning me out while making me feel a ton better and quite a bit stronger.

And the fact that
1. I love food, especially steak
2. I still do O-lifts 2/wk and have a linear progression day

That should keep me getting heavier. I think @ 250 and 12% bf or so should be about right!

Adam Gagliardi
10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Derek is pumping me up to do a Strongman event in Aug 09 here in FL.

Wish I could do Novice again, but I'll be in Middleweights this time (up to 265).
Going to keep back squatting and getting stronger till then. And build some implements.

contest-wise there is absolutely no substitute for the implements. You should contact Tom Mitchell--Florida NAS chair....if you dont have a training crew already, he'll set you up

Leo Soubbotine
10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I heard a lot about Tom when I was prepping for the Orlando Strongest man in late 06. Ended up 5th in the novice class out of 18 people being almost second lightest.

I might just do that and get in touch with him.

Jacob Rowell
10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
I've been real lucky - I live a few minutes away, literally, from the state NAS chair (Chris Lawyer), and his gym which is full of great implements (The Weight Room).

Not to take things too far off topic - but what do you guys do in terms of pressing, as it relates to strongman?

I'm a terrible presser, mostly because I haven;t done too much of it. I'm up to a 160# shoulder press at a BW of 190. Any good programs you've tried? Bench any? Lots of people at p&b advocate bands for overhead work.

So far, I've tried linear 5x5's, texas method, and now I'm just running the press through the percentages of the 6 week russian squat program - actually seems to be working well.

It seems that strength in the lockout, good leg drive, and good jerk technique would make for the best pressing when it comes to strongman - what do you guys think?

Adam Gagliardi
10-15-2008, 06:30 AM
I've been real lucky - I live a few minutes away, literally, from the state NAS chair (Chris Lawyer), and his gym which is full of great implements (The Weight Room).

Not to take things too far off topic - but what do you guys do in terms of pressing, as it relates to strongman?

I'm a terrible presser, mostly because I haven;t done too much of it. I'm up to a 160# shoulder press at a BW of 190. Any good programs you've tried? Bench any? Lots of people at p&b advocate bands for overhead work.

So far, I've tried linear 5x5's, texas method, and now I'm just running the press through the percentages of the 6 week russian squat program - actually seems to be working well.

It seems that strength in the lockout, good leg drive, and good jerk technique would make for the best pressing when it comes to strongman - what do you guys think?

Have heard good things about the WeightRoom...lucky you, lol.
I am certainly not a good presser, but what has worked for me the most is working on PP'ing---i guess b/c it's slightly strict but allows you to use more weight than a true strict press....i use a PJ when going for a max OH and typically if i can PP a weight than i can PJ 30-50lbs more..typically.

lately i have started with strict pressing and then moved into PP. sometimes with bands. as far as assitance moves 1 arm OH's, CG floor press, pin press, boards.

As for routines, 8sets of 2--if you hit all 8 sets, move the weight up 5-10lbs next week, if not stay at current weight...Wendler's 5/3/1 is what i am using now...leg drive is very important....seems to me though that there are few people who are really good a jerking a log...just an observation

thats pretty much all i've got...good luck

Adam Gagliardi
10-15-2008, 06:35 AM
I heard a lot about Tom when I was prepping for the Orlando Strongest man in late 06. Ended up 5th in the novice class out of 18 people being almost second lightest.

I might just do that and get in touch with him.

pretty much everyone i've met in SM will go out of thier way to assist you, so i would def get in contact with him

Allen Yeh
10-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Quick question, when doing bottom up fronts do you rest every rep on the rack or is onl the first rep from the rack and the rest of the reps you just stop in the bottom without unloading?

I've done it both ways and wasn't sure which was the "right" way. Today I did 10 x 3 and the first 6 sets were completely stopped each rep and the last 4 sets I only came off the rack on the first rep and let it touch the rack again on the last.

Garrett Smith
10-16-2008, 01:39 PM
A buddy of mine and I are planning on attending (watching) the Tucson Highland Games (http://www.tucsoncelticfestival.org/) in two weeks (11/1 - 2), to see if it ignites some desire to start training a bit for next year's Games. Gotta go on Saturday to see the Pros...

I figure a steady diet of OL & GS KB training (2 & 1 days/week, respectively) should give a decent base until a couple months out for specific training--if I can find the equipment around town...

One question--when it says the divisions, other than Pro or Masters, are A / B / C , should I assume that "C" is the "lowest" level? If you look at it, the info regarding the comp on their website is pretty sparse.

Dave Van Skike
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Quick question, when doing bottom up fronts do you rest every rep on the rack or is onl the first rep from the rack and the rest of the reps you just stop in the bottom without unloading?

I've done it both ways and wasn't sure which was the "right" way. Today I did 10 x 3 and the first 6 sets were completely stopped each rep and the last 4 sets I only came off the rack on the first rep and let it touch the rack again on the last.

I know when doing them like rack work...meaning setting the rack at or just below the sticking point, the Dan John wisdom says they're pretty fatiguing and can lead to burnishness if you do it too long.

I do it like box squats. just try to come to a dead stop and delaod without losing tighness...if that makes any sense. deload but keeping the gut compressed. although it would be just as valid to reset every rep but you'd maybe use it this way more sparingly?

Garret, go to the NASGA or SAAA-net.org For the differnt rules. I think all the comps I've looked at include a novice category where you don't even need a kilt.

Leo Soubbotine
10-16-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm going to keep my squatting/push pressing/pullup progression going on wednesday and will finish adjust my sat WL session to this:

I. Whatever is on the menu for class: Usually it'll be Snatch variation + Clean & Jerk variation.

II. Press Variation - repetition. Max reps with weight, max reps in a minute - push press, shoulder press, bench.

III. Pull variation - repetition. Max reps DL, tire flip, in a minute etc.

IV. Some Grip variation of pullups or rope climbing.

Should be fun.

Garrett Smith
10-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks Dave!

If anyone is interested, rules for the various HG in PDF format here (http://www.nasgaweb.com/nasga_rules_14.pdf).

Also, a primer on getting started in Scottish Heavy Athletics (http://www.nasgaweb.com/getstart.asp).

Jacob, I wanted to say that seeing your video, of someone your size (as in, about my size) doing Strongman was quite inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Ken Urakawa
10-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Cool stuff. We incorporate some SM stuff with the groups, it's a lot of fun. Now I just need to find a contest with a "super lightweight/5'6"-and-under" category...

Jacob Rowell
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks Garrett,

My weight is up ~20# from then, and I aim to sit around a lean 200# by the time my next competition rolls around. As had already been said, for every event that favors decent pulling mechanics + height (deadlift and stones), there's something that will favors the squatty fellows (pressing and squats). While we may be at a disadvantage, I think it's a slight one if them time is put into good technique in pressing events as well as speed and conditioning!

Adam Gagliardi
10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
anyone been concentrating on thier DL, if so what has worked?

Jacob Rowell
10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I've been doing DL work recently

Pulling twice a week, first day is 5 sets of 3 sets across, band assisted. Starting around 80% and working up 2-3% each week.

Second day, just pulling singles, working up to 85%. Increase 2-3% each week.

We'll find out in a few weeks if it's worked! Shooting for 500, up from 475 @ 190#.

Adam Gagliardi
10-23-2008, 05:39 AM
I've been doing DL work recently

Pulling twice a week, first day is 5 sets of 3 sets across, band assisted. Starting around 80% and working up 2-3% each week.

Second day, just pulling singles, working up to 85%. Increase 2-3% each week.

We'll find out in a few weeks if it's worked! Shooting for 500, up from 475 @ 190#.

How often are you hitting events? i dont think i could get away with more than 1 dl day

Jacob Rowell
10-23-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm not right now, kind of an off season for me.

I got my ass handed to me at my last contest, and it was clear that strength not skill, was the deciding factor. So lots of squats and DLs!

When I was training events 1-2 days a week, I was generally pulling once every other week, usually with an axle. Made some OK gains there.

Dave Van Skike
10-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Same here, event training is like warm ups and conditioning stuff. hitting Dl/Sq twice a week, one max effort day and one day for speed squats and speed pulls

Adam Gagliardi
12-19-2008, 06:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sim8x7vlsoo

thought i'd update with a new vid...nothing impressive, just some form stuff i had on the camera..happy holidays

Adam Gagliardi
12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
oh any PJ advice would be great--thanks

Allen Yeh
12-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Nice video. Your push jerks looked great to me?

Adam Gagliardi
12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Nice video. Your push jerks looked great to me?

thanks allen, they are always a work in progress...

Adam Gagliardi
01-21-2009, 08:02 AM
2 newer vids
events
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wqeEhQnbQ&feature=channel_page

Gym work--if anyone has form advice feel free to shout it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnoJAKqmSA&feature=channel_page

Jacob Rowell
01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Liked the overhead yoke walks, haven't tried those.

Out of curiosity, have you tried doing your tire flips with a wide grip, narrow-ish stance, rather than a sumo stance? The reason I ask, is that I was taught to use a wide grip (reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLlVi8PpEY&feature=PlayList&p=375958654F1F642D&index=1, not me). But I've seen plenty of people do it other ways. I'd like to see how people feel about different styles of flipping.

Looks like you've put a lot of work into your overhead - log looked strong. Stone picks looked easy!

Adam Gagliardi
01-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Liked the overhead yoke walks, haven't tried those.

Out of curiosity, have you tried doing your tire flips with a wide grip, narrow-ish stance, rather than a sumo stance? The reason I ask, is that I was taught to use a wide grip (reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLlVi8PpEY&feature=PlayList&p=375958654F1F642D&index=1, not me). But I've seen plenty of people do it other ways. I'd like to see how people feel about different styles of flipping.

Looks like you've put a lot of work into your overhead - log looked strong. Stone picks looked easy!

I know the Diesel crew states theres only one way that one should flip a tire and its more of the "pushing a football sled flip"....i have found that flipping a tire is tread/weight/ traction dependant.

Log is my enemy, never gotten above 240 training, 220 contest...i hate it.

Allen Yeh
01-22-2009, 03:21 AM
How much does that tire weigh?

In your gym video it says "This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by all copyright holders. The audio has been disabled. More about copyright"

What is the purpose of the GM/DL? I've never seen that variation of the GM.

Derek Simonds
01-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Very nice both in the gym and the event work.

Adam Gagliardi
01-22-2009, 07:12 AM
How much does that tire weigh?

In your gym video it says "This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by all copyright holders. The audio has been disabled. More about copyright"

What is the purpose of the GM/DL? I've never seen that variation of the GM.

The Tire weighs 685 empty up to 745 with the little tires put inside it. Steel belted which makes it much harder than most tires to get off the ground.

i guess im not allowed to use Bob Marley songs.

I sort of made it up, to help the strengthen the back/DL, same stance as my DL, its just kind of a DL with the bar on my back, not actively squatting.

Adam Gagliardi
01-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Very nice both in the gym and the event work.

thanks Derek.

Adam Gagliardi
01-28-2009, 05:04 AM
another vid...any form advice on the HB BS towards the middle, or anything for that matter, is always appreciated. I am actively working to learn how to DL with less of a stiff leg approach...theres some DL's to knees at the end, something Mtt Gary is helping me with, I need to learn to puch the ground down more as opposed to just pulling the DL's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq6MMpC1-m0&feature=channel_page

Allen Yeh
01-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Is that your friends new gym?

Jacob Rowell
01-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Looks like you're getting a lot of hips into the HB back squats as well as the FS. You can see them pull back at the start of the bs and on the ascent of the fs, rather than moving more or less straight up and down. When I think about Pushing my knees out, seems to help.

Lookin strong, what are some of your numbers? And you compete at 200?

Adam Gagliardi
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Is that your friends new gym?

correct sir

Adam Gagliardi
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Looks like you're getting a lot of hips into the HB back squats as well as the FS. You can see them pull back at the start of the bs and on the ascent of the fs, rather than moving more or less straight up and down. When I think about Pushing my knees out, seems to help.

I see the same. trying to fix it, as you said get more up/down then back. I imagine that comes from a few years worth of nothing but box squats.

##
750 yoke for 50ft
lapped the 355 stone, loaded 335 to 52"
12" log 245 1 time
conan's would have to look back in the logs
farmers-300/hand
DL-525 a few years ago, working to get back/ surpas that
back squat--no idea
front squat-ugly form- 315- working hard on this, and good form
axle PJ from rack- 278, c+p 245, my axle clean sucks, as does BB clean
axle PP-258 from rack
Pullups-17, should be past that in a few weeks when i test, dead hang
tire--800 something, may go out to a friends son and give his 980 try
CG bench- prob around 325 with an axle, havnt used a bb in long time

most of this was at around 230 BW, im about 220 and dropping... but most of the strength is there, did a 710 yoke a few weeks back no prob, farmers hae not been training but did 265 a few weeks ago, log sucks, pressing is the only thing that i really notice a drop off in at a lesser BW

Allen Yeh
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM

Nice gym, I didn't realize you were in the DC area Adam.

Both your FS and BS looked like you were breaking at the knees first but then you sat back. So you should try to break at the knees and push them out and sit there.
I'll echo what Jacob said about the knees thing, I find that cue more than any other helps in keeping an upright torso. Just do it unweighted and you can really feel a difference because in the HB/A2G squat your knees are way out over your toes as opposed to the LB/PL squat where your knees are basically right over your feet.

Later tonight I'll see if my wife can film some examples of what I'm trying to say.

Allen Yeh
01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Your numbers look great, damn, ugly form or not 315 is a lot for a FS. (way more than my max!)

Jacob Rowell
01-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll show you guys ugly! The press was less pretty, but the FS wasn't exactly picture perfect.

http://www.vimeo.com/2234197
-Posted this in my log awhile back.

Jacob Rowell
01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Btw, great numbers Adam. Haven't done too much testing with a lot of the strongman implements myself. Gotta get up there!

Quite impressed by the yoke and farmers.

Adam Gagliardi
01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
allen--vids would be awesome
Jacob --thanks for the advice, I'm better with implements than gym work. i put a log up in the log section. maybe we can get some chat going . you guys will have to come to supreme sports performance in a few months when the strongman tools are in the house.

Allen Yeh
01-29-2009, 02:15 AM
This weekend hopefully.

Allen Yeh
01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
If you haven't already this video series by Boris Bachman is great, he is very comprehensive and thorough.

Video #4 is about squat depth and bar position, about 5 minutes into the video is when he speaks about high bar and low bar squat depth. Check out his knees in relation to his feet in both styles as well as his "breaking" point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1HzoH0Rw&feature=PlayList&p=C03D688F10C4DE1F&index=4

Video 15 talks about the front squat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRmdtSvmQQ&feature=PlayList&p=C03D688F10C4DE1F&index=18

Video 21 discusses "Sit back":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpLj5MlN5M&feature=PlayList&p=C03D688F10C4DE1F&index=25

Hope these help.

Adam Gagliardi
01-31-2009, 04:40 AM
yes i have seen those, but forgot about them..thanks for the reminder

Jacob Rowell
02-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Collected some training videos, I'd appreciate any advice.

Really had a hard time getting my hips into the stones - dead tired from cleans yesterday.

http://www.vimeo.com/3216345

Adam Gagliardi
02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I'km the last person who should give pressing advice...these are just a few things i think abuot with the log... look up, like straight up, almost behind you... kepp elbows as high as possible....quick legs..thats about it, like i said i suck at pressing

stones--you can see where you try to arch your back..never going to happen with stones closer to 300...everyone ive seen who's good at stones, they look like an round back SLDL....
..those are my thoughts, nice work

Dave Van Skike
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
strong work jacob., stones w/o tacky? those looked good to me, very quick.

Jacob Rowell
02-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks dave. Yea, no tacky. Not into the whole cost/cleanup thing. I've used it once at a contest, and once in training. I figure that if I can get good with the stones w/o tacky, should be good to go when I use it contest time.

Adam, I know what you mean with looking up, elbows up. I've seen other guys at the gym do it. Makes sense, given the you can get more of a vertical drive, rather than pushing around your head.

Thanks!

Adam Gagliardi
02-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I took some decent vids today, ill try and get them up in the next few days.
hit a 660 yoke for 50ft, 730 tire for 5 flips and a stand, stones singles up to 300.

Jacob-- if it helps, i have seen a few guys, and i mean 2, who were actually able to split jerk a 12" log, 1 being Misha K, the other being LW pro Kirk Nowak... i feel the PP/PJ is probably the best to learn.

Jacob Rowell
02-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I've seen someone split the log before, looked kind of unpleasant. If I'm getting closer to contest time and the PJ isn't doing the trick, maybe I'll give it a shot. Anything to not scratch the press event this time. hah!

strong work on the tire, have to check out the video when you get it up here.

Don Stevenson
02-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Some strong work there guys!

I still need to get out to train with some proper implements but i keep getting roped into other stuff on saturdays.

Anyway I'll keep working on the gym stuff as much as possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXEBPYwLhLY

Jacob Rowell
02-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Nice work with the farmers. 110kg is no joke! Something I certainly need to work on.

Adam Gagliardi
02-16-2009, 05:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyviobX3w8c

a few clips from 2 weeks ago, and yesterday

Adam Gagliardi
02-16-2009, 05:40 AM
strong work Don...those stone simulators suck, to me they are way harder than a real stone, as far as the initial pick goes

Leo Soubbotine
02-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Adam - are you deadlifting in rock climbing shoes?

Adam Gagliardi
02-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Leo--yes..they're awesome...usually use the for car pull and such, but realized the have the most thin soleof any shoes i own....they are a bit small, but whatever

Leo Soubbotine
02-19-2009, 06:08 AM
I bought exactly the same pair (since that was pretty much the only one they had that fit me). I like them a bunch. I use them for direct purpose though - climbing again today :D

Have a $13 pair of Chucks for deadlifting and sled dragging etc.
Your training looks good too! That garage full of gear is awesome.

I'm going to weld some farmers and a yoke for our new box and a fat bar.
Derek and I (and maybe some of our guys) are doing the strongman comp in Lakeland in August.

Adam Gagliardi
02-19-2009, 07:35 AM
thanks leo---i love those shoes for DLiing...ish i could make itdown there for that comp but beg in MD makes it tough

Jacob Rowell
02-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Adam, I need to pick up some climbing shoes - do you feel like they help a good deal with drags/pulls?

Good luck w the contest leo. Watch out, sm is addictive.

Leo Soubbotine
02-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Watch out, sm is addictive.

And what's wrong with that? :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3589/3293229462_baa269bef2.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3533/3292407319_4643992f23.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3311/3293229614_2de3176f6f.jpg?v=0

I loved it!

Jacob Rowell
02-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Didn't realize you had already done a contest - you know all too well then!

Leo Soubbotine
02-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I like new things and anything new athletically especially. Hooverball, rockclimbing, tumbling, gymnastics, rafting, kayaking, adventure racing - I like trying it all.

Rafting is later on the menu this year.

Strongman is really addictive and way too much fun!

Adam Gagliardi
02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Adam, I need to pick up some climbing shoes - do you feel like they help a good deal with drags/pulls?

Good luck w the contest leo. Watch out, sm is addictive.

if your dragging in a parking lot, they help alot, also good for tire flips if its a slippery parking lot...although i usually just use the shoes i wear for everything else...trail running shoes

Adam Gagliardi
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I like new things and anything new athletically especially. Hooverball, rockclimbing, tumbling, gymnastics, rafting, kayaking, adventure racing - I like trying it all.

Rafting is later on the menu this year.

Strongman is really addictive and way too much fun!

I;m the same way....although have done a lot less than you....i went whitewater rafting in maine 2 or 3 years ago...awesome time....i surf, ocean kayak..and still play whatever sports i can when i can find leagues for basketball and baseball/ softball..and every now and again do 5 k's...maybe a 10k....but SM is by far the most fun now, besides surfing

Adam Gagliardi
03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
thought some may be interested....

We are happy to announce our official grand opening next Saturday, March 21 from 8AM - 4PM. Come see what Supreme Sports Performance & Training (SSPT) is all about.

Saturdays are always a huge day for us. We usually have nearly a dozen folks that show up and put it on the line in an effort to improve.

Weather permitting, weíll have our garage door opened and some strongman demonstrations in the parking lot (including but not limited to farmerís walks, rolling thunder grip work, sled dragging, log presses, a yoke, and possibly more). Inside you'll see several of our own lifters training hard as they prepare for upcoming powerlifting competitions. Olympic weightlifting will be on display as well. In the afternoon, kettlebell guru and owner of CrossFit Koncepts, Mike Krivka, will be demonstrating and teaching some kettlebell moves. At 3:45PM, weíll have drawings for free one-month memberships, free coaching sessions, and free massage.

We invite you to stop by anytime between 8AM - 4PM. Say hello, sign up for the free drawings, watch some of the training, or even take in a workout of your own. Please feel free to spread the word. Bring your family, friends, coworkers, or anyone interested in becoming healthier and stronger. You donít want to miss out on this opportunity to see what Marylandís premier strength training facility is all about!

We look forward to seeing you next Saturday.

Today is always the perfect day to train.

Best of health,
Matt Gary
Suzanne "Sioux-z" Hartwig-Gary

PS - We are conveniently located just seconds from Rockville Pike at 12054 Parklawn Drive in Rockville, MD. For additional information on who we are, what we believe, and our facility in general, please visit our website at http://www.SupremeSportsPT.com or give us a call at 301-231-SSPT (7778).