PDA

View Full Version : Intuflow free e-book

Allen Yeh
10-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Anyone used it or heard anything positive/negative about it?

I had forgotten that I had gotten a free Intuflow e-book weeks ago, all you had to do was sign up for a newsletter. I've been trying some of the stuff out this morning and it seems interesting. If you'd like a copy just let me know via email and I can send it out. Like I said it's free so no copyright violations at all.

It's 18 pages or so of different mobility drills with reasons why being immobile in certain areas can affect your mood and well being.

Anton Emery
10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I went and downloaded it after seeing your post. It looks like good stuff. We do all these movements at Crossfit Portland, as two of the owners are trainers under Scott Sonnon as well. Torso mobility is hard for me, apparently i look like a tree when i do it.

Anton

Blair Lowe
10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for bringing it up. A new spin on what I consider basic calesthenics. An interesting take/spin on what tightness causes.

I actually know someone who is CST certified. It's interesting as I remember coming across it right after seeing Matt Furey's stuff. I find it more useful than Matt's but nothing new from I came from. At least I was unfamiliar with some of Pavel's stretching stuff when I came across him.

Chris H Laing
10-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Ill take a copy :D

Allen Yeh
10-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Thanks for bringing it up. A new spin on what I consider basic calesthenics. An interesting take/spin on what tightness causes.

I actually know someone who is CST certified. It's interesting as I remember coming across it right after seeing Matt Furey's stuff. I find it more useful than Matt's but nothing new from I came from. At least I was unfamiliar with some of Pavel's stretching stuff when I came across him.

Some of it I have seen before, some of it seems a bit odd. I'm having a hard time going by some of the pictures and what they describe.

Blair Lowe
10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
If you ever come across any of the Systema body conditioning or other RMA of the ilk, it won't look so different. Odd, yes.

Which reminds me I need to find a metal bucket as it may be getting cold enough at night.

Garrett Smith
10-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I like the finger waves from that e-book. Hadn't seen those before...

Chris H Laing
10-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks Allen, looks like pretty good stuff

Donald Lee
10-18-2008, 02:31 AM
This is a little bit off topic, but are Scott Sonnon's or anybody else's strange joint mobility/stretching/whatever stuff worth looking into? I have read Pavel's Relax Into Stretch and Super Joints so far. I was looking in the CrossFit forum archives, and there seems to have been a lot of beef with Scott Sonnon, but not much clear info.

http://www.rmaxi.com/intuflow/promo.php

That stuff looks so foreign to me. It's so different from what Pavel teaches.

Garrett Smith
10-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Donald,
I'm a big fan of the Z-Health (www.zhealth.net) stuff, although I've found from other folks that it can be hard to grasp without going to the seminars, which are pretty pricey. In my opinion, much of the Z-Health stuff is similar (and even derived from) to Sonnon's stuff (which he derived from Systema), the big difference is that the Z-Health is much "tighter" in terms of form and what joints you're trying to mobilize. A simple viewing of Dr. Cobb's versus Sonnon's stuff is quite impressive in the contrast--a lot of extra movement (I would call "sloppiness") is present in the IntuFlow, which can be easily used subconsciously by the body in order to circumvent/hide immobile and uncoordinated joint/muscle complexes.

Looking at it from a longevity perspective, my attending the R-Phase and I-Phase will pay off long into the future. I will always have those tools with me, and I use them before every weight workout.

Donald Lee
10-18-2008, 05:11 PM
The Z-Health stuff is pretty expensive, but I just ordered the R-Phase Package. Do you still need to do passive stretching (i.e., PNF) to increase flexibility while doing Z-Health? I have major hamstring tightness that is improving very slowly and holding back my training and recovery from a lower back sprain.

My hamstrings are always really tight until I do some major PNF stretching. Is this a mobility issue? I'm starting to do some self-myofascial release on them, which is painful. Before stretching, I can bend over about 45 degrees with the GM stretch. After some PNF, I can get to about 90 degrees. It's frustrating that my hamstrings are always so tight, even after doing leg swings and the cossak.

Thanks for the tip about Z-Health, Dr. G.

Garrett Smith
10-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Donald,
It could be a mobility issue, particularly in your ankle(s).

It might be worth it to you to get a private session with Dr. Cobb when he is in your area.

Hamstrings also just require a lot of stretching, because we sit so much. I found huge results in my hamstring flexibility by going to yoga 1+ times/week plus some extra stretching during the week.

Blair Lowe
10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
btw, Garrett, just to clarify Sonnon was not involved with Systema, per say under Vlad and Mikhail; but another similar system. They are similar and they aren't depending on where, who, and what the instructors were involved with in the Russian Mil. I see Sonnon's stretching as the russian stuff meets yoga. More than likely, Sonnon was familiar with yoga before the russian stuff or incorporated yogic elements into the russian body physical preparation.

If you have ever seen the Japanese calesthenics from their school system, it's very similar to Z-health and you'll see a lot of Japanese sensei do it in their various systems from karate to judo to kendo.

Pavel's stuff doesn't seem so RMA-like or yogic. There are very interesting stretches but I haven't seen anything that requires flowing body techniques. I think this has to do with the fact that Pavel isn't involved in RMA AFAIK.

jerry.mobbs
02-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Just a few quick comments on Sonnons stuff.

I've done Yoga for Blokes, Bikrams and Scott Sonnons Intu Flow and Prasara.

Out of all of them, I have personally found Sonnons stuff has had a bigger improvement on my performance than anything else I've tried.

Most of the Yoga I had done up to that point had involved moving into poses and holding them. I saw improved -flexibility- very quickly.

Sonnons stuff is more about moving between the poses rather than the poses them selves and I saw improved -mobility- very quickly.

Trying to learn Sonnons stuff from the internet is very difficult. I tried it and just could not 'get it'. I then took one of the 3 day CST courses, and its slowly falling into place.

If your just starting out, then I would urge you to buy the Intu Flow DVDs. They are very well done and you can easily pick up the basics in your own time. The ebook is a good reference, but you need to see the movements to be able to follow them.

Everyone I know that has tried Intu Flow has found significant improvements in their mobility. After 6 months of 10 min practice per day I almost have the same range of motion as my 4yr old daughter again.

I do Intu flow as part of my CF warm up.

Jerry

Ben Fury
02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
I like his pop n lock moves, the yoga part's boring, I could really get into the grand mal seizure move. Spazzing out comes naturally to me. I doubt I could master the pop n lock stuff, never could do the robot or any of those dances.

Linus Hector
03-09-2009, 01:03 AM
IŽd like a copy.

Thanks