PDA

View Full Version : Neuromuscular Connection

Kevin Perry
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM
I have a couple questions on this pertaining to traning a client.

Im trying to find research and studies about it on training a novice client (no specfic as to condtioning, health, goals, etc). Is it really necessary to start with 15 - 20 reps for 1 - 3 sets? Doesn't the body adapt regardless of what numbr is used? Pertaining to a clients specific goal of course.

I just learned that clients should start with that kind of a base for the first 2 weeks regardless of specific goals but that really does not make a whole lot of sense to me but then again im not really understanding neuromuscular connection?

For the trainers, how do you normally introduce your clients into training?

Steven Low
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Higher reps with good form with people who don't know the movement is much like grease the groove where you get the client into a good neurological pattern and *enforce it* through many more reps. If they're new it's a very good idea to get them doing higher rep work for this reason alone. Also, for the connective tissue as well because it adapts slower. If you wanna load up the weight, it's good to have solid technique which they will develop through a larger amount of repetitions than you would think at least starting off.

Kevin Perry
10-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the reply Steven,

So basically it is like muscle memory?

Garrett Smith
10-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Kevin,
It's not really muscle memory. It's more motor learning. Something has to be learned before it can be remembered...

Learning is best done through proper repetitions. It is also always better to start slow, with a lighter weight and better form, than to jump in the deep end with poor form and too-heavy weights.

Mike ODonnell
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Kevin you may enjoy this read about training people....I tend to agree with it because I deal with so many overweight people:

http://bodyimprovements.wordpress.com/2008/10/02/lyle-mcdonald-interview-part-ii/

Kevin Perry
10-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Kevin you may enjoy this read about training people....I tend to agree with it because I deal with so many overweight people:

http://bodyimprovements.wordpress.com/2008/10/02/lyle-mcdonald-interview-part-ii/

Thanks Mike, that was a good read.

Steven Low
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Ah yeah Garrett hit the right term -- motor learning. I was struggling to find the right words the whole time as you can tell, lol.