PDA

View Full Version : Prone to Acid Reflux

Michael Lynn
10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I seem to be easily prone to Acid Reflux. If I drink or eat anything incredibly sugary, I know I'll get it, but it also happens when I've been eating clean, using Zone/Paleo recipes.

Are there any foods that help to prevent Acid Reflux?

Thank you,
-Michael

Garrett Smith
10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Lower your carbs in general.

Always eat protein first at your meal, veggies and other things later.

Do not combine significant amounts of protein and carbs, your best bet is proteins and non-starchy veggies.

Reduce intake of coffee, chocolate, alcohol, sugar, and mint.

Reduce/eliminate stress. Do not eat quickly or when stressed.

That's a good start.

Mike ODonnell
10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
In addition to all of the above.....some people find relief with a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in with plenty of water before the meal.

Like Dr G said....watch the starches and protein combos...those are usually a big issue as well.

Darryl Shaw
10-21-2008, 05:30 AM
If you're getting acid reflux even when you're eating paleo foods it might be worth getting tested for helicobacter pylori.

Craig Loizides
10-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Acid reflux is often caused by low stomach acid. This results in incomplete digestion of food and allows certain bad bacteria to survive.

ACV can help. You might also want to try HCl supplementation.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1257805 (T-Nation article)

Scroll down to you are what you assimilate.

Allen Yeh
10-22-2008, 04:01 AM
The last 2-3 weeks or so I've noticed something odd about my digestion after I eat. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a paleo meal, high carb, low carb...etc. Thanks for the article, it's something that kind of resembled what seems to be going on.