PDA

View Full Version : Gaba

Yael Grauer
10-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Anyone here ever played with GABA? I took the Braverman Nature Assessment and found I was low in GABA and so I bought some sublingual supplements. They worked right away and made me feel very clear-headed and calm the first day. The second night I took it just really knocked me tf out and I slept for 12 hours, eek!

Garrett Smith
10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
The new type of GABA (I believe it is typically called PhGABA or PharmaGABA) works really well for me...I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in and I feel very rested.

I use one 100mg capsule prior to bed, in combo with my ZMA/Eleuthero/Longjack supplement.

If one wakes up feeling groggy after a proper amount of time sleeping, they have taken too much.

Yael Grauer
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I took 125 mg about 24 hours after the first time I took 125 mg... How long does it stay in your system? They say you can take it up to three times a day and I only took it once...

It was this stuff: http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1122/

I had to call in sick to work and everything and slept for 12 hours... Not good.

Brian Lau
10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, so are the effects you're describing the result of some peripheral action? Just curious, never tried it.

Yael Grauer
10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
No idea.

Gittit Shwartz
10-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I tried GABA before bedtime to help me fall asleep. It did nothing for me at any dose. Maybe because according to the Braverman test GABA is the only neurotransmitter I'm NOT deficient in :)

Yael Grauer
10-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I was really low in GABA both in my current deficiencies and the "nature assessment" section. But man it just knocked me on my ass, so...

I know other stuff is supposed to be good, but I already take most of it--b complex, b6, magnesium... Never tried glutamine or inositol or glycine.

After sleeping for 12 hours though my desire to experiment has been kinda shot though. :(

Yael Grauer
10-26-2008, 07:01 PM
GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, so are the effects you're describing the result of some peripheral action? Just curious, never tried it.

I checked on this and apparently when you take the sublingual form and put it under the tongue it does cross the blood/brain barrier.

Blair Lowe
10-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Interesting, that would really have helped me the night before meets or big meetings as I generally never sleep through, nearly ever. Tried melatonin to no avail the night before the CF games.

Yael Grauer
10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, it depends if you're low in it or not.