PDA

View Full Version : Should I Change Anything

Doug Blankenship
10-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I know everyone hates one of these threads but I just want to see what the masses think about my current foods and numbers.

Here is yesterdays according to fitday: Also I eat my meals backwards, dinner, lunch and then breakfast. I work graveyard and that is how I ended up doing it.

Also, I do not eat these same things everday but I get around the same numbers Pro/Cal/Carb/Fat everyday.

First Meal:
4oz Pork Roast
2 Cups Broccoli
1 Hardboiled Egg
1/4 cup of Pecans

Second Meal:
2 Cups of Organic Spinach
1 Hardboiled Egg
1/4 cup of pecans
4oz of Turkey Breast

Third Meal:
2 Cups Broccoli
2 Poached Eggs
1 6oz Can of Tuna In Water
1/4 cup of pecans
10 Green Olives

Three Fish Oil Caps and Organic Flax Seed Caps were taken threw out the night/day.

Snack: 1 Large Apple with 1 1/2 tbs of Almond butter.

Drink: 3 Gallons of water a day <-----Not an accident, I just get thirsty at work.

Stats:
Cals: 1,922
Fat: 106.7
Carb: 79.2
Pro: 152.5

I follow the 3/1 CF Main Page scheduled and have lost over 130 pounds during the last year and a half doing CF and what I feel is a pretty strict Paleo Diet. I'm 28/197lbs/Male/5'11", I would like to get to 185-190lbs if possible.

I haven't lost any bodyfat/weight in about a month, obviously I have some extra skin lying around being that I used to be 329lbs but I still have bodyfat that needs to go. Any opinions or suggestions on how/what I could change to get that going.

I have read all the zone books, CF journals, Paleo Diet books and even though I do weigh and measure all my food I have never done the proper zone routine.

Thanks for the time and suggestions/opinions a head of time.

Stephen Brown
10-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Congratulations on the weight loss and fitness gain, that's tremendous. I was 305 (I'm 6'2") when I bought my first mountain bike 9 years ago and am down to 198, with the addition of CF and very novice lifting. I'll let more knowledgable folks comment on diet, I'm just real impressed with the results you posted. Well done.

Jay Cohen
10-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Doug;

Kudos on weight loss.

You've been around the boards a while, you know it's not rocket science, though most still screw it up, BUT, it looks like you have it dialed.

I like your food choices and the Fitday breakdown looks pretty good. So, what to do?

Maybe try some IF'ing, tweak Carbs even lower(your call), I wouldn't go any lower on calories as 2000K for you size seems maybe a tad low.

So why hasn't the weight come off, not sure, but maybe it's time to toss in some extra HIIT stuff, if you have a near death wish, you could always try the V-Diet, start now, finish by Thanksgiving, though after you eat two birds in one day, I'm sure you'll be dead, so maybe V-Diet first of year.

Well, I'm sure you're not going to gleam any nuggets from this lame post, but.......

Be well, Eat Pork when ever you get the chance, lift some heavy shit off the ground, push over head, as they say, go big, then go home. Unless of course you're training at home.

J

Garrett Smith
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
First question in difficulties in bodyfat reduction:

Are you getting a satisfying 8+ hours of sleep per night?

If not, make that your first priority.

Doug Blankenship
10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Doug;

Kudos on weight loss.

You've been around the boards a while, you know it's not rocket science, though most still screw it up, BUT, it looks like you have it dialed.

I like your food choices and the Fitday breakdown looks pretty good. So, what to do?

Maybe try some IF'ing, tweak Carbs even lower(your call), I wouldn't go any lower on calories as 2000K for you size seems maybe a tad low.

So why hasn't the weight come off, not sure, but maybe it's time to toss in some extra HIIT stuff, if you have a near death wish, you could always try the V-Diet, start now, finish by Thanksgiving, though after you eat two birds in one day, I'm sure you'll be dead, so maybe V-Diet first of year.

Well, I'm sure you're not going to gleam any nuggets from this lame post, but.......

Be well, Eat Pork when ever you get the chance, lift some heavy shit off the ground, push over head, as they say, go big, then go home. Unless of course you're training at home.

J

Thanks Jay for the reply, like I said I hate asking this question but felt it need to be done. I used to not be able to do some of the O'Lift's and when a CF WOD would come up that was strictly O'Lifts I would do Tabatas instead. The weight kept coming off when I was doing that but then I was questioning my strength level...so I started doing the O'Lifts when they would come up and the weight loss stopped.

First question in difficulties in bodyfat reduction:

Are you getting a satisfying 8+ hours of sleep per night?

If not, make that your first priority.

Thanks Garrett, I do have a good sleep pattern as I usually get around 7-8 a night. There are days when I have a hard time getting to sleep, my mind is a wild beast and is always racing so I take a Melatonin to help me get to sleep. If usually helps but sometimes it does not.

Darryl Shaw
10-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Doug, I appreciate that this is only one days food so it only gives a brief snapshot of your overall diet but the thing that stands out to me is the lack of variety.
About the only thing nutritionists agree on is that a good diet contains as wide a variety of foods, particularly fruit and vegetables, as possibles so you could improve your diet by replacing two of those portions of pecans with some fruit, berries or vegetables. This would increase the overall bulk of your diet and add some much needed fibre without altering your total calorie intake as plant foods are mostly water and fibre plus the slight increase in carbs will improve your ability to train at higher intensities which will help speed up your fat loss.
Reducing your sodium intake by halving the number of olives you eat would be a good idea too along with looking for tuna in spring water without any added salt as this will help reduce any fluid retention problems you may have, also three gallons of water a day seems excessive so it might be worth getting tested for diabetes as increased thirst is one of the most commonly reported symptoms.

Garrett Smith
10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I didn't take the time to fully read your initial thread completely.

3 gallons of water a day is quite excessive.

My suggestion would be to go talk to your primary care practitioner and get some basic bloodwork done, including a HgA1C, insulin, and a urinalysis.

Read more on the two types of diabetes (mellitus and insipidus) and go to your doctor armed with your own questions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

Allen Yeh
10-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Congrats on the weight loss.

I'd echo a concern on what Dr. G said, 3 gallons? What do you do for work?

Doug Blankenship
10-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks guy for the responses, I only work security at a hospital right now but when I'm there I'm always drinking water in fact that is all I drink. I will go threw two gallons at work and close to another when I get home. My job is 90% of nothing but walking around and 10% physical labor nothing major at all.

I have to see the doctor on Monday for a regular check up and will have her do blood work. I will post the results when I get them to see what the heck is going on. Thanks again.

Doug Blankenship
10-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Dr. G, I was able to get a lab sheet and am going in the morning to get the blood work done. My doctor seems to think it might have something to do with me not using salt for the past six months, I don't even own a salt shaker.

As soon as I get the results I will post the numbers.

Doug Blankenship
10-25-2008, 01:00 AM
Doug, I appreciate that this is only one days food so it only gives a brief snapshot of your overall diet but the thing that stands out to me is the lack of variety.
About the only thing nutritionists agree on is that a good diet contains as wide a variety of foods, particularly fruit and vegetables, as possibles so you could improve your diet by replacing two of those portions of pecans with some fruit, berries or vegetables. This would increase the overall bulk of your diet and add some much needed fibre without altering your total calorie intake as plant foods are mostly water and fibre plus the slight increase in carbs will improve your ability to train at higher intensities which will help speed up your fat loss.
Reducing your sodium intake by halving the number of olives you eat would be a good idea too along with looking for tuna in spring water without any added salt as this will help reduce any fluid retention problems you may have, also three gallons of water a day seems excessive so it might be worth getting tested for diabetes as increased thirst is one of the most commonly reported symptoms.

Darryl thanks for the advice I will tweak it around for a few weeks and see what I can come up with. If I understood correctly I thought that I would need the fat from the pecans and less carbohydrates for fat loss.

I'm basing this on reading Robb Wolfs blog (Older material) about needing good fat at every meal and reading Zone books. Am I misunderstanding it?

Darryl Shaw
10-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Darryl thanks for the advice I will tweak it around for a few weeks and see what I can come up with. If I understood correctly I thought that I would need the fat from the pecans and less carbohydrates for fat loss.

I'm basing this on reading Robb Wolfs blog (Older material) about needing good fat at every meal and reading Zone books. Am I misunderstanding it?

While it is important to keep blood sugar and insulin levels down and the fats in nuts and seeds can help in achieving that fruit and vegetables play a vital role in your diet in providing fibre, vitamins minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients so in most cases you can, and should in my opinion, eat fruit, berries and non-starchy vegetables in almost unlimited quantities.
People tend to forget what with all the "carbs are evil" nonsense you get on some forums that fruit and non-starchy vegetables are low calorie nutrient dense foods and the carbs they contain have no significant impact on your blood sugar or insulin levels if you're physically active enough to deplete some of your glycogen stores between meals. Also as fruit and non-starchy vegetables are mostly cellulose (fibre) and water it's almost impossible to eat too much due to the relatively small size of your stomach. Think about it, how many apples could you eat in a single sitting before you felt full? Alternately if you had a bag of oranges in front of right now would you sit and munch your way through the whole bag or would you eat one or maybe two and feel satisfied?

Doug Blankenship
10-25-2008, 06:30 AM
While it is important to keep blood sugar and insulin levels down and the fats in nuts and seeds can help in achieving that fruit and vegetables play a vital role in your diet in providing fibre, vitamins minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients so in most cases you can, and should in my opinion, eat fruit, berries and non-starchy vegetables in almost unlimited quantities.
People tend to forget what with all the "carbs are evil" nonsense you get on some forums that fruit and non-starchy vegetables are low calorie nutrient dense foods and the carbs they contain have no significant impact on your blood sugar or insulin levels if you're physically active enough to deplete some of your glycogen stores between meals. Also as fruit and non-starchy vegetables are mostly cellulose (fibre) and water it's almost impossible to eat too much due to the relatively small size of your stomach. Think about it, how many apples could you eat in a single sitting before you felt full? Alternately if you had a bag of oranges in front of right now would you sit and munch your way through the whole bag or would you eat one or maybe two and feel satisfied?

That does make sense, I will supplement some berries in there instead of the pecans (On a few meals) for a few weeks to month and see how it unfolds. Thanks for that reply.

Gittit Shwartz
10-25-2008, 08:16 AM
[ ... ] fruit and non-starchy vegetables are low calorie nutrient dense foods and the carbs they contain have no significant impact on your blood sugar or insulin levels if you're physically active enough to deplete some of your glycogen stores between meals [ ... ]

Darryl, from this and your previous posts you are obviously a highly "carb-tolerant" individual, but this is not the case for (arguably) the majority of people. Especially for someone who was formerly overweight, more carbs and less fat seems unlikely to be the solution.

Doug, I recently broke a fat loss plateau by UPPING my fat intake.

That said, as someone who does NOT do well with carbs, I find I can manage 1/3-1/2 cup of berries with an otherwise low carb/high fat meal, so +1 for Darryl's recommendation of more variety in your diet.

G

Doug Blankenship
10-25-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm very carb sensitive, that's why it struck me odd that Darryl said add more fruit. Vareity is not a problem, I just want to shed the small bit of fat I have left. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

I got my blood drawen a few hours ago so by Wednesday I should have some numbers.

Fenthis Glusos
10-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Both the healthiest and least healthiest foods in the world pack lots of carbs -- choose wisely (fruit and veg) and it doesn't really matter....don't get all caught up in fat people hysteria...I think they got fat not because of fruit but from overeating overly-refined carbs like those found in cakes and pastries, among others of society's dregs. Now their bodies are less tolerant to carbs but it is because of their (previously) bad dietary habits - and now all of a sudden FRUIT is the enemy. haha. For fat people who've fucked their hormones, 2-3 fruits it is. Other people can enjoy some more if they'd like.

carb-tolerance does go down with age, but fruit is not the problem, a lot of essential nutrients your body needs to be effective in health and fat-burning can be found in them.

Continue doing as you're doing but maybe supplement the pecans with the blueberries -- forget about the calories for once and let your body take care of itself.

Kinda strange that you're eating pecans though, usually hear of most people eating almonds although I prefer walnuts, peanuts, cashews (paleo shmaleo) to them. I might need to buy some pecans as you've inspired me, good sir!

If fruit was really the problem you'd see all fat people on the 80-10-10 diet (80% fruit with some leafy greens, 10 fat and protein)...but that isn't the case. Not saying that the diet is ideal (I don't believe eating almost entirely of one thing is such a good idea) but it teaches you something.

besides fruit can really save a diet because you just don't crave the junk when you know you'll be eating some nice fruit after your warm meal. It really seals the deal and satisfies both the mind and the body. For me at least.

You just got to find a food that really satisfies you in the end, something nutritious that can be rendered into a dessert, so to speak -- for some people that is fruit, for others it is pork fat, regardless, both > refined foods. This keeps you from 'cheating' and helps you get through the day.

Mike ODonnell
10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Darryl, from this and your previous posts you are obviously a highly "carb-tolerant" individual, but this is not the case for (arguably) the majority of people. Especially for someone who was formerly overweight, more carbs and less fat seems unlikely to be the solution.

Agreed!!! Larger people should not be focusing on getting plenty of carbs for the most part, while some may be tolerable.....they need to reverse things like insulin resistance and get weight loss first. It's like telling overweight people to "only" do tabata for 5 min and no cardio...it doesn't work!

Carb cycling of some sort is the most effective way in my book....carbs are NOT evil.....but you need to be in an oxidative mode to burn fat. Fruit is not the source of the issue, but giving someone a license to eat as much as they want can stall real progress (unless one really has control of what they are eating and are not overdoing carb intake). Carbs are more important if you think on eating enough to keep your brain/energy levels going and also fuel more explosive/resistance work. I am not low carb by any means...I need them, I like them...but then again I am lean and very active, not like my average client.

Also take a day off....enjoy eating...eat up.....keep your metabolism guessing on what is going on....don't let it adapt to anything. All zone progress usually stalls...then it is time to take it to the next level.

Doug Blankenship
10-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Fenthis, I don't know where I got the pecans idea I read it in a book zone, paleo or on Robb Wolfs site can't recall the exact location. Something about the balance being close to the same as walnuts.

I have pounds of raw walnuts and pecans around the house, I mix them up.

MOD, I'm still in the (I want to lean out stage) and still need to lose weight so I try to limit fruit consumption just to keep calories down and carbs. Also, regarding cheat days, I take one day a month and eat whatever I want.

Fenthis Glusos
10-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Fenthis, I don't know where I got the pecans idea I read it in a book zone, paleo or on Robb Wolfs site can't recall the exact location. Something about the balance being close to the same as walnuts.

I have pounds of raw walnuts and pecans around the house, I mix them up.

MOD, I'm still in the (I want to lean out stage) and still need to lose weight so I try to limit fruit consumption just to keep calories down and carbs. Also, regarding cheat days, I take one day a month and eat whatever I want.

I think the issue with me is that since I love fruit so much, I just assume people are depriving themselves of it when they limit its consumption...but of course that is silly because we all have different tastes... haha

I'll be buying some bulk raw pecans soon and probably eat them with some dates for a nice snack but damn, already today I had a few very large handfuls of cashews and will probably indulge in some more later on. Maybe I am craving some copper or some more fat possibly, I don't know but cashews are killer. I did an intense exercise this morning making me feel a bit jittery...MORE CASHEWS

I'm going to have to load up on garlic next week when halloween hits and I get inundated with candy stuff....it offsets the sugar and anerobic bacteria (anerobic bacteria feed on an acidic diet, sugar for one thing). Maybe then I will scale down my fruit consumption for a while.

Then to offset the hydrogen sulfide smell, it is chickpeas and greens (high saponin content, good for getting rid of the rotten egg aroma).

Mike ODonnell
10-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Depending on how low you are daily....you may be able to do that once every 7-10days and still be able to see progress. Too low too much, or doing the same thing every day will just stall eventually. Add more variety and try a few days of lower carbs and then up them once in a while (whole foods of course, try to avoid sugar). Variety is good, keep the body guessing and adapting. That and make your eating reflect training needs/recovery.

Doug Blankenship
10-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Depending on how low you are daily....you may be able to do that once every 7-10days and still be able to see progress. Too low too much, or doing the same thing every day will just stall eventually. Add more variety and try a few days of lower carbs and then up them once in a while (whole foods of course, try to avoid sugar). Variety is good, keep the body guessing and adapting. That and make your eating reflect training needs/recovery.

Thanks Mike. I have got a few ideas to change things up and they were pretty much how you described.

Darryl Shaw
10-27-2008, 07:07 AM

Doug, I recently broke a fat loss plateau by UPPING my fat intake.

That said, as someone who does NOT do well with carbs, I find I can manage 1/3-1/2 cup of berries with an otherwise low carb/high fat meal, so +1 for Darryl's recommendation of more variety in your diet.

G

I doubt if I'm any more carb-tolerant than the next guy and I'm sure that if I ate a diet high refined foods I'd get fat the same as anyone else. The reason I've been able to maintain an average 5% BF my entire adult life (I'm 40) on a high carb low(ish) fat diet is because I get almost all of my carbs from plants rather than grains or other refined foods and plant foods, even starchy ones like bananas or sweet potatoes, are low in calories. If you look on www.nutritiondata.com you'll find that most plant foods have an extremely low calorie density (kcal/100g) compared to nuts, seeds or animal foods as they're mostly cellulose and water so you need to eat an enormous volume of plant foods to meet your daily calorie requirements and the size of the human stomach means that it's almost impossible to overeat.

Another factor in this, and it's something that people tend to forget, is that any excess carbs will only ever be stored as fat if your glycogen stores are already full and your body has nowhere else to put them. There's a metabolic cost of ~24% required to convert glucose to adipose tissue though which means that if you overeat on a high carb diet only 76 out every 100 excess calories will be stored as fat. If on the other hand you overeat on a high fat diet the metabolic cost of storing any excess is only 2% so 98 out of every 100 excess calories as will be stored as fat.

Doug Blankenship
10-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Here are my test result numbers:

Cholesterol: 111
Triglycerides: 42
HDL: 53
Cholest/HDL Ratio: 2.09
LDL: 50

Other Numbers:
Glucose, Fasting: 69
BUN: 16
Creatinine: 0.80
Calcium: 9.7
Total Protein: 7.9
Albumin: 4.8
Total Bilirubin: 0.8
Alkaline Phosphatase: 86
AST (SGOT): 28
ALT (SGPT): 47
Sodium: 141
Potassium: 4.5
Chloride: 103
CO2: 26
eGFR Rate: >59

Doctor said that I'm not Diabetic and what she would like me to do, is to limit my water intake by a half and use a little sea salt on some of my foods. Other than that she was impressed by the numbers.

Chris Salvato
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I doubt if I'm any more carb-tolerant than the next guy and I'm sure that if I ate a diet high refined foods I'd get fat the same as anyone else. The reason I've been able to maintain an average 5% BF my entire adult life (I'm 40) on a high carb low(ish) fat diet is because I get almost all of my carbs from plants rather than grains or other refined foods and plant foods, even starchy ones like bananas or sweet potatoes, are low in calories. If you look on www.nutritiondata.com you'll find that most plant foods have an extremely low calorie density (kcal/100g) compared to nuts, seeds or animal foods as they're mostly cellulose and water so you need to eat an enormous volume of plant foods to meet your daily calorie requirements and the size of the human stomach means that it's almost impossible to overeat.

Another factor in this, and it's something that people tend to forget, is that any excess carbs will only ever be stored as fat if your glycogen stores are already full and your body has nowhere else to put them. There's a metabolic cost of ~24% required to convert glucose to adipose tissue though which means that if you overeat on a high carb diet only 76 out every 100 excess calories will be stored as fat. If on the other hand you overeat on a high fat diet the metabolic cost of storing any excess is only 2% so 98 out of every 100 excess calories as will be stored as fat.

High carb diet on vegetables? Damn man...you must eat hoards of veggies...like...5 cups for every 4 oz meat.

Do you live on a farm?

Upping fat just seems more practical for most people.

My 2

Darryl Shaw
10-29-2008, 07:44 AM
High carb diet on vegetables? Damn man...you must eat hoards of veggies...like...5 cups for every 4 oz meat.

Do you live on a farm?

Upping fat just seems more practical for most people.

My 2

We don't use cups or ounces to measure things here in the UK but I seem to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables every day so for all I know you might be right. :D

It might seem like a daunting task to eat that much plant food every day but until quite recently in our history most people had to eat a huge volume of food every day just to get by in fact human coprolites from the paleolithic era show that stone age hunter-gatherers routinely ate over 100g of fibre per day so the human stomach is more than capable of dealing with such a high volume of food every day without any problems.

Neill Smith
10-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Doug:

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss and on your numbers. Your cholesterol is incredible.

You might be in the "stubborn fat" zone now. There are a few tricks that you can use to target that, including fasted intervals and caffeine before training. Lyle McDonald's book on the subject is excellent.

Doug Blankenship
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Doug:

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss and on your numbers. Your cholesterol is incredible.

You might be in the "stubborn fat" zone now. There are a few tricks that you can use to target that, including fasted intervals and caffeine before training. Lyle McDonald's book on the subject is excellent.

Thanks Neil, I will run a search for the book.