PDA

View Full Version : New Issue & New Publish Date

Greg Everett
12-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Issue 24 - Jan 2007 is available now. We've changed our publish date to the 1st of the month.

Pivoting & Pressure
Roy Dean
Body mechanics for grappling

The Snatch: Part I
Greg Everett
The next installment of the Coaching the Olympic Lifts series

Kettlebell Power-Metrics
Jason C. Brown
Three ways to improve the power of your kettlebell training

The Floor Press
Steve Shafley
A look at the often overlooked movement

Cooking with Scotty
Scotty Hagnas
Brussels Sprouts and Pecans
Spanish “Rice”
Curried Chicken Salad
Imperial Chicken Salad

Mike Minium
12-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Great issue, as usual.

Greg, I have a question for you, though.

I usually have my athletes do the Burg warm-up starting from the power position (vertical dorso, small dip) rather than mid-thigh.

We practice the transition (AKA the scoop) during different phases of the warm-up.

The reason I have them do the dip/shrug, dip/shrug/pull, and muscle snatch from the power position right from the get-go is that so many of the athletes I work with, particularly if they deadlift and KB-swing a lot prior to learning the Oly lifts, tend to introduce way too much horizontal displacement of the bar into the second pull. So I spend a lot of time de-training that tendency. And thus I have them do the Burg w-u from the power position.

Are there any drawbacks to the approach I'm using, or am I just splitting hairs (as I'm wont to do)?

Greg Everett
12-31-2006, 12:47 PM
How you teach it really will depend on the needs of the athlete. If you have folks as you describe, doing it as you're doing it is a good idea initially. Eventually, I would try to progress them to including the scoop--they'll have to do it at some point, so drilling it, especially if it's a problem spot, will be necessary.

Steve Shafley
12-31-2006, 12:57 PM
I will have a video piece on YouTube up demonstrating the floor press used during an actual workout. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

I had meant to get it done earlier, but my house has been extremely chaotic the last 3 days.

Since I am doing absolutely nothing tonight for New Years, the vid will be up shortly. Check here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SShaf

Look for Shaf's Vblog #10. Should be up in a half hour or so.

Steve Shafley
01-01-2007, 05:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0hwZpGy_Yg

It only took all night.

Mike ODonnell
01-01-2007, 07:26 AM
sorry Shaf, I got distracted......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVvbzcEnhBo&mode=related&search=

Yuen Sohn
01-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Steve: Great demo. I appreciate the multiple angles. Also good to see you back to your usual intros (despite what your friends on P&B have to say about them, haha).

Looks like a solid PM issue overall.

Mike: And I thought I was the only one who worked out to that song...it's a small world.

Pierre Auge
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Mike,
I see why you're distracted.

Steve,
how do you do it without a power rack? (I know how I just want to see you do it! I know I'm a jerk...)

Steve Shafley
01-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Pierre...really, you've hit on one the biggest problems with working the lift heavily.

The big issues are getting the bar into position safely, and the second is how to miss. I should have considered those issues for the article.

In the vid you see that I let the bar fall forward towards my head when I miss. If you have adequate control of the bar when you miss, but lack spotting bars, then you can guide the bar to fall towards the neck (most people can fit their heads UNDER a standard sized olympic bar with 45 lb or 20kg plates, so the bar won't strike your head when it drops. You can let it drop the other way, if you are thin waisted enough so you don't mangle yourself.

Alternately, you could have two small platforms on either side where the plates rest so that the bar is just a slight bit below the bottom position of a lift. Building up various layers of wood would be a hassle, but could be doable, given the strong desire to perform the lift.

Pierre Auge
01-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Steve,
I'll post a video of how I do it but I must admit that at my body weight misses aren't a problem, because I can move it to my waist and it wont break anything.

I mount the bar the same way as Arthur Saxon used to teach it with a prelvic thrust/push/pull. Works well.

Chris Forbis
01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I'm a skinny bastard like Pierre. If there are 45s loaded, I can fit underneath the bar.

Steve Shafley
01-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Fun stuff, for sure.

Pierre Auge
01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey it worked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ev-UP_2K04

My first youtube post, it sucks but here it is!
Oh yeah I'm small so no I don't lift very much...

Steve Shafley
01-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Awesome Pierre. Nice one, not sucky at all. I can see where that would become problematic for low rep/high weight sets, though.

I see there are some heavy floor press vids on youtube. The one with 350 and 80# of chains exhibits how brutally slow and grinding the heavy floor press can be. The bar is still 2-3" off the chest. I've gathered from comments about the vid that me getting the bar so close to my chest is somewhat unusual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZvJLlyCj0

When doing a shirted bench press (and I know that it's really pretty irrelevant on this board), learning to finish a bench with that slow, slow grind is very useful.

Pierre Auge
01-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah Steve it's not ideal but at the same time men did it for decades without a problem. I actually got that from reading Arthur Saxon's "The Development of Physical Power" so its got to be good for something if you have nothing else to work with.

I also noticed you have that great huge powerlifting back arch in your press. I try and do the same thing difference is I don't have a chest to go with it. I've even done bridge presses like this. Thing is I always bridge onto my shoulders because bridging onto your head when your are in the street or in a back alley is asking for trouble. Particularly if you are wearing military kit, like a rifle sling, just asking to get choked with your own equipment, plus you take your eyes off your opponent. SORRY TANGENT!

Steve,
I honestly think that powerlifters have much to teach the rest of us about lifting whether they use bench shirts or not.

It's like the argument of straps, I think lifting with and without straps both have merrit. All of the people including John Brookfield who maintain the stongest hands in the world all lift with straps at one point or another for one reason or another. I use them when I know my body can go farther than my hands. And guess what my hands have gotten stronger. sorry ranting again...

Steve Shafley
01-01-2007, 07:58 PM
No ranting. All good points.

There's a lot of good stuff in those old books. A lot of goofy stuff, sure, but a lot of good, practical, stuff that works.

Pierre Auge
01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
haha I agree about the goofy stuff, like the issue that I think Eugene Sandow invented the Thigh Master... Haha

Yes lots of practical stuff that seems to have gone by the wayside. Like I really like the bent press for some reason, probably because I'm pretty good at it.