PDA

View Full Version : ZMA and women - dosage

Emily Mattes
10-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I have another ZMA question, this time related to women. I'm thinking of taking it myself, but I'm not sure how much to take. The "Now Sports" ZMA recommends two capsules for women (300mg magnesium, 20mg zinc) and three for men (450mg magnesium, 30mg zinc). Is this prescription based on the assumption women weigh less than men, or is because women need less no matter how much they weigh?

Yael Grauer
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't know what their assumption is, but it kind of stuns me that anybody would think women need LESS magnesium than men.

Mike ODonnell
10-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't know what their assumption is, but it kind of stuns me that anybody would think women need LESS magnesium than men.

I believe it's based on Zinc, not Mg. Men have a higher zinc RDA based on more loss from....well, men fluid. Same thinking of why women have a higher RDA for iron, because women tend to lose more when menstrating.

Excessive zinc toxicity is not a good thing.

Yael Grauer
10-26-2008, 06:45 PM
I believe it's based on Zinc, not Mg. Men have a higher zinc RDA based on more loss from....well, men fluid. Same thinking of why women have a higher RDA for iron, because women tend to lose more when menstrating.

Excessive zinc toxicity is not a good thing.

Actually the primary component is magnesium, and I guess maybe they are going by the RDA. Which is higher for men. But I think the RDA is wrong. Or I'll just say that any woman who has cramps needs more magnesium. I think many women can take even up to 1000 mg a day in divided doses, but working up gradually from 400. which is the men's dose.

But if they are going with the RDA it is 12mg for women and 15 for men, so the amount in ZMA is too high for both men and women.

Gittit Shwartz
10-27-2008, 06:56 AM
I'm a 5'1" woman and at one point I was taking 5 capsules each night to feel the effects... I'm not sure it was all getting absorbed though.