PDA

View Full Version : Pounding heart - from high fat?

Daniel Olmstead
10-26-2008, 05:45 PM
I've noticed that shortly after eating my homemade protein bars (http://onrockrockon.blogspot.com/2008/10/eureka-home-made-protein-bars.html), my heart starts pounding noticeably. Not really faster, just...harder, it seems.

The bars are 21g fat, 4g carbs, 19g protein. They're probably the most concentrated dose of fat I eat (peanut butter and whipped cream, after all). Is the fat causing the heart pounding, and if so, should it concern me? If not...what could it be?

Greg Davis
10-27-2008, 04:21 AM
you could try a different nut butter next time to see if its the peanuts..

Garrett Smith
10-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Likely either a food sensitivity to any one or more of the ingredients (peanuts and dairy would top that list) or you are reacting to the potential mycotoxins (mold toxins) in the peanuts.

Either way, you'll want to look into it. The peanuts are heavily suspect, IMO.

Mike ODonnell
10-27-2008, 08:11 AM
like said above....sounds like allergic reaction to something.....

Garrett Smith
10-27-2008, 08:28 AM
I personally get a heavy, faster heart beat after eating sushi.

Because I suspected toxic metals in the sushi (particularly mercury), I tried taking some oral DMSA (chelating agent) before eating it the last time. Watch out for those AYCE sushi places--yes, they are tasty and enjoyable--they also are likely giving you a significant dose of all those bad things we hear about in cheap fish/seafood.

Bam, no heart issue. FWIW.

Darryl Shaw
10-31-2008, 06:33 AM
I think I see the problem.......

Ingredients (per bar):

1 scoop (15g) protein powder (I use a pure unflavored custom blend of whey/casein)
1.5 tbsp peanut butter (salted crunchy, of course)
.75 oz heavy cream
half a packet of stevia