PDA

View Full Version : Using chlorella, wheatgrass, algae as sub for fish oil

Blair Lowe
11-04-2008, 12:59 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any idea of how much chlorella, wheatgrass, or blue-green algae would have to be ingested to equal the amount of EPA/DHA in fish oil.

I've read before that is where the EPA/DHA comes from in fish oil and it's also probably where it comes from in grass fed meat and eggs in the grasses ( besides bugs ).

I've yet to try wheatgrass juice but I caught myself staring at it in the store in one of those lil bunches that you can grow at home tonight ( or attempt to maintain ).

Thoughts? I've taken chlorella or blue-green algae and some other green foods and besides disgusting my roomates haven't seen or had any issues with them. It makes for some flavorful concoctions but perhaps I just don't mind it ( especially when mixed with pureed fruits or veggies ). Actually blended veggies tend to have a much sharper taste anyways.

I've been meaning to get these green superfoods back in me. I've been trying to eat my veggies being red and romaine lettuce, spinach, brocolli/cauliflower, celery and carrots, green peas. Well, that's about it besides cilantro and onions. I haven't ventured into many other vegetables just cause it's daunting enough to just eat these.

I did find these Omega 3 algae caps and they looked pretty expensive considering how much EPA/DHA is in 3 caps ( 270mg DHA/75mg EPA ).

Garrett Smith
11-04-2008, 04:55 AM
No idea. Honstly, the best place for this question would likely be a vegan forum.

Blair Lowe
11-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks, Dr. G. Guess I will go snoop one out.

Donald Lee
11-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I've taken chorella for years. I am not sure, but I think chlorella became popular from the Japanese. At least, that's what I heard from my mom. Personally, I find chlorella to be too expensive.

I like krill oil for my Omega-3's. I heard about it on the radio, and Dr. Mercola's advertising on it was irresistable to me. It was also a lot cheaper than fish oil when bought in bulk from Mercola's website. Another plus is that you only need to take 2 capsules a day, versus a crapload of capsules for fish oil.

Tony Ferous
11-05-2008, 01:36 AM
But 2 caps only provides 240mg of dha+epa though....doses of 1-5g are pretty usual rounds these parts.

Donald Lee
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
You're right. Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have thoughts on krill oil's omega-3's coming in the form of phospholipids vs. fish oil's omega-3's coming in the form of triglycerides?

George Mounce
11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
But 2 caps only provides 240mg of dha+epa though....doses of 1-5g are pretty usual rounds these parts.

3600mg of EPA+DHA a day here.