PDA

View Full Version : anyone a coach?

Timothy Scalise
11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I have really come to love Olympic weightlifting, and was wondering if any of the coaches or assistant coaches, or soon to be's had any advice on how one can break into coaching. I understand that Olympic weightlifting is not really that bit in the USA, but I still would love to get into coaching this and maybe taking some young ones to a high level. So anyone got any good advice on how to start, what steps to take.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Timothy,
I'm not a coach yet, but love helping people. I'm attending a USAW club coaching certification course in Alexandria Virginia at Potamic Crossfit during January. So at that point, I guess I could officially call myself a coach. At this point, I'm just "a grip and ripper."

To answer your question, the USAW, Crossfit, and Performance Menu offer certification courses for olympic weightlifting coaches. To be frank, I think crossfit is the perfect avenue by which to expand the awareness of olympic lifting as the movements are part of the WOD's. Beyond that, there are over 500 crossfit affiliates in the US and the numbers are increasing. The gyms are olympic lifting friendly - which is not the same in most traditional gyms or fitness facilities (shame really). Beyond that, I'm noticing that a lot of the novice USAW lifters (Including myself) are cross fitters who were introduced to the lifts through crossfit.

Just so you know, I think your at the right place. What Greg has established with the protocols set forth here at performance menu is an awesome training protocol. Absolutely awesome for athletes and olympic lifters who want to get rugged fit. I love this stuff.

Hope that answers your questions a little bit?

All the best,
Arden

Garrett Smith
11-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Find a coach for yourself first, and compete in at least a few meets.

Get the USAW cert, go to the PMenu cert, and watch as many OL coaching videos as you can.

Then either find an OL-friendly gym where you can start coaching or create your own. Don't expect to get rich doing it--keep your day job.

Patrick Donnelly
11-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Timothy,
I'm not a coach yet, but love helping people. I'm attending a USAW club coaching certification course in Alexandria Virginia at Potamic Crossfit during January. So at that point, I guess I could officially call myself a coach. At this point, I'm just "a grip and ripper."

All the best,
Arden

Hell yeah! I look forward to seeing you there.

Kris Reeves
11-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Damn! Both you guys are going? Maybe I should convince the wifey to get the funds?

The one thing that plagues my mind though is that I'm not technically proficient and in effect I would be going to learn for myself...not necessarily learning to 'teach' so I fear that may be a cart before the horse sort of thing.

Garrett Smith
11-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Kris,
Go learn for yourself first, absolutely. It is very difficult to teach something that you haven't learned from someone else first--it makes one able to relate to the process better.

"Cart before the horse" would be learning to teach before you knew even the basics of how to do the movements yourself (physically). Why would someone want coaching from someone who had never even tried to learn the movements properly themselves?

Kris Reeves
11-06-2008, 06:45 AM
I guess that's where my confusion is...does the USAW cert assume some level of proficiency for the attendees? Or for instance, would it be ok for someone whose never attempted an O lift in their lives to show up?

I think I would really like to go...just need to double check the $$$ situation.

Garrett Smith
11-06-2008, 06:59 AM
The amount of teaching the lifts to the attendees varies greatly from coach to coach at the USAW certs.

You're guaranteed to learn a lot yourself at the PMenu cert, then the USAW cert will remind you of what you learned previously.

If I could go back, I'd do the PMenu cert first, then the USAW.

Kris Reeves
11-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh Shnap!....I didn't even notice Greg and Aimee were coming to the DC area until I read your post and checked the events page!

Leo Soubbotine
11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
I'd go the route of CrossFit and then getting into the Weightlifting sport.

More lucrative, less expensive and in general a brighter future, that will let you afford the Weightlifting. And once you grow big enough with CF, then you can train more weightlifting while your trainers will coach CF.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Hell yeah! I look forward to seeing you there.

werd. I've already enrolled. I've got it real bad. My daughters are going to lift at the Pittsburgh Open the weekend prior.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh Shnap!....I didn't even notice Greg and Aimee were coming to the DC area until I read your post and checked the events page!

When are Greg and Aimee coming to the DC area?

I'd be all for that too. I want to learn as much as I can.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd go the route of CrossFit and then getting into the Weightlifting sport.

More lucrative, less expensive and in general a brighter future, that will let you afford the Weightlifting. And once you grow big enough with CF, then you can train more weightlifting while your trainers will coach CF.

That makes a lot more sense than the reason I'm becoming a certified coach.

My main impetus is that there are no other real coaches in Southern and Central West Virginia. I have two young daughters that have both talent and an interest. Beyond that, Crossfit WV opened it's doors and I'm volunteering to teach their members all I know about the movements, progressions, etc.

Eventually, I'd like to establish a weightlifting club in the Charleston area as part of an established gym - get it all 501(c)(3)ed, certified, etc. It would be good for the sport and the community. Especially the younger athletes who aren't allowed to appreciate the true athleticism of the lifts and how they can assist in their sport performance.

I'll never take a dime from anyone for showing them how to do the movements or telling them what I know. I have too much fun doing it. I practice law to get paid. Woodchopping/lumberjack sports is my passion. The training to make myself a better athlete involves weightlifting. To become more proficient at what I love, I've become enthralled by the other - but not overwhelmed. My goal has not changed, but how I'm training to achieve that goal has - and I like the whole process and the people invovled in it. We're a special group that have like goals and enjoy pushing ourselves to new levels. It's all relative and it's all inspirational. That inspiration that I read here and on Crossift keeps me motivated to keep going. You gotta love it.

This is going to be a fun ride.

All the best,
Arden

Greg Everett
11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
When are Greg and Aimee coming to the DC area?

I'd be all for that too. I want to learn as much as I can.

All the best,
Arden

Jan 10-11

http://www.cathletics.com/events/olyClinicDCJan10-11.php

Patrick Donnelly
11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Jan 10-11

Unfortunately, I've only got the money for the one USAW certification, but I do intend to pick up a copy of your book some time soon.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Jan 10-11

My wife would kill me for sure. Pittsburgh Open is January 24, then the USAW on January 31. Can't hurt to ask though. Well, it might. I, as do many, live in fear. :-D

thanks so much.

All the best,
Arden

Patrick Donnelly
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
My wife would kill me for sure. Pittsburgh Open is January 24, then the USAW on January 31. Can't hurt to ask though.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than request permission. http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1091/iconwackobz7.gif Not sure if you want to try that, though.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-06-2008, 01:19 PM
It's easier to ask forgiveness than request permission. http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1091/iconwackobz7.gif Not sure if you want to try that, though.

Just about got her talked into doing Fight Gone Bad tomorrow night.....I'll get back to you on the other. That and asking this before hand might end me.

Who am I kidding. I'm blessed and I know it.

All the best,
Arden