PDA

View Full Version : IF Questions - Morning workouts and types of IF

Emily Mattes
11-05-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm thinking of giving IF a real shot. However, I have a couple of questions.

First, my eating period would probably be in the evening but on occasion my workout needs to be in the morning. What should I do about food post-workout? In my experience, I feel like hell if I don't get some protein after lifting.

Second, I'm doing a five-day Olympic lifting program. What form of IF--16/8 split, ADF, etc, would you say is most appropriate? What have you had the most success with, or is it a purely individual thing? My goals are to maximize performance, but I could stand to lose about 20-25 pounds, is there one form of IF that's better than another for this? In my research I've also been getting mixed results on whether or not IF slows the metabolism--some people swear they get fatter on it, others say it's a load of bunk. Is there any kind of consensus here I'm missing?

Garrett Smith
11-05-2008, 08:05 AM
On the occasions your workouts are in the morning, have some protein PWO. Remember the "intermittent" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&defl=en&q=define:intermittent&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title) (stopping and starting at intervals; coming after a particular time span; not steady or constant) in Intermittent Fasting.

First priority is to go Paleo. Next is IF. As far as I know, that's the consensus around here...

Mike ODonnell
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
In my research I've also been getting mixed results on whether or not IF slows the metabolism

http://www.theiflife.com/2008/11/05/eating-more-meals-does-not-speed-up-your-metabolism/

that and it's all about total calories for fat loss and thyroid function. Don't IF all the time....take a day off to eat up.....keep the body guessing.

Women tend to also need more "cardio" per say....as they are more hormonally programmed for fat storage. So add in a bit more "oxidative" burning activity after a short hormonal intensity session, and the fat should fly off.

Emily Mattes
11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Mike, you mean like a short metcon, right?