PDA

View Full Version : First Muscle Up

Josh Whiting
01-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I just did my first muscle up. I'm chuffed. I thought the hardest bit was the dip, although I have been trying to do one all day and I'm probably just a bit knackered.

Greg Everett
01-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Congratulations. Also big props for your use of the words 'chuffed' and 'knackered'. Excellent work.

So what's the next muscle-up goal for you?

Scott Kustes
01-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Great work! Muscle-ups rock!

Robb Wolf
01-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Right on Josh! next stop: Iron Cross!

Josh Whiting
01-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Chuffed and knackered are in constant use where I am from.

As for goals.

Next is 10, aiming for end of Jan. Once I've done that I will either aim for 20 or get a weighted vest and start adding weight - I'm not sure yet but it will depend on how I feel doing them regularly has effected my joints.. How have people found weighted muscle ups in terms of wear and tear on their joints?

As for the iron cross I've hung my rings from the supporting beam in the loft of my top floor flat. To use them I have to open the little trap door and hang them down on either side of the ladder so I'm not sure that an Iron Cross is possible!

Robb Wolf
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Chuffed and knackered are in constant use where I am from.

As for goals.

Next is 10, aiming for end of Jan. Once I've done that I will either aim for 20 or get a weighted vest and start adding weight - I'm not sure yet but it will depend on how I feel doing them regularly has effected my joints.. How have people found weighted muscle ups in terms of wear and tear on their joints?

As for the iron cross I've hung my rings from the supporting beam in the loft of my top floor flat. To use them I have to open the little trap door and hang them down on either side of the ladder so I'm not sure that an Iron Cross is possible!

Josh-
Sounds good as to goals but watch out for excessive volume on that internal rotation element of the muscle up. Balance that with back bends, OHS's and muscle snatches. Don't be afraid to break the elements apart and just hammer dips and pull-ups. Most of the "problem" with muscle ups is the initial skills necessary. Once you develop the skill base strength improvements will drive progress IMO. Keep us posted!

Brad Hirakawa
01-08-2007, 05:11 PM
For certain.. balance the m-up with the goodies Robb recommended. From personal experience, I had problems after a year of muscleup addiction.

Brad

Robb Wolf
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
For certain.. balance the m-up with the goodies Robb recommended. From personal experience, I had problems after a year of muscleup addiction.

Brad
Brad-
That's what you get for beating me at the Crossfit MU challenge. Bastard.

Brad Hirakawa
01-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Robb,

:)

Regarding the balancing of exercises in that regard... is this something that you believe should be done on the same day. For example, m-ups and some OHS's done in the same workout. Or is it probably more important to simply include both types of exercises in your routine over a weekly/monthly basis?

Thanks!
Brad

Robb Wolf
01-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Bradford-

I think either way will work. One just needs to get similar volume and intensity in the counter movements. Read some of the Westside BB stuff on back and rotator cuff work to enhance/prehab bench. Much the same story here.

Mike ODonnell
01-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Josh-
Sounds good as to goals but watch out for excessive volume on that internal rotation element of the muscle up. Balance that with back bends, OHS's and muscle snatches.

Excellent observation....as usual. More focus should be brought on some of the "negative" aspects of some training exercises and the corrective movements needed. While my shoulders are destroyed and recent injury in the last year.....I really cant do a full deep dip without some internal shoulder pain...so I rarely if at all will have dips in my regiment....bench is hard enough, but only 1x a week. I do plenty of corrective work...but always need to be reminded of it.