PDA

View Full Version : stretches for front squat rack position?

Anton Emery
11-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi All,

I have a person in one of my crossfit classes that can't seem to get their elbows up in the front squat rack position. I am not quite sure what the problem is. She has the bar rolled back on the tips of her fingers instead of trying to grip it. Someone was saying that tight lats could be the problem, but then overhead lockout would not be good either, and hers is fine.

I've been looking around for some stretches to help solve the problem, and figured i would ask here too. Could it just be a matter of time and getting used to the position?

Anton

Garrett Smith
11-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Anton,
These links will likely help with some front squat guidance:
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-squat-with-proper-technique/
(links to rack position stretching are within the above article)
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=88&threadid=2229216&enterthread=y

Found through Googling "front squat rack position stretches". Hope that helps.

Anton Emery
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for those Garrett. I looked at that article, but must have missed the links.

Never thought about the triceps being a limiting factor, though now its kind of obvious.

Anton

Chris H Laing
11-06-2008, 04:44 PM
She has the bar rolled back on the tips of her fingers instead of trying to grip it.

Isn't that what your supposed to do?

Steven Low
11-06-2008, 09:29 PM
THORACIC MOBILITY. 9/10 times it's either this and/or poor posture (shoulders hunched forward too). If the T-spine is tight and hunched a bit, you're not going to be able to get the elbows up well enough even if the shoulders are more than flexible.

Foam roll it... then do some hip extensions getting her used to the arched back. Some stretches would probably help as well such as BAND dislocates (better than PVC).

How's her kipping pullup? Posture?

Anton Emery
11-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Isn't that what your supposed to do?

Whoops, should have proof read my post. I meant the opposite.

Well, she can't do a full kipping pull up yet, but the front phase of the kip looks ok. She could be punched forward through her shoulders more.

Why are band dislocates better than PVC?

Anton

Carl Chia
11-07-2008, 07:42 AM
stretch the wrists and triceps.. thoracic mobility as well. You can also ask the trainee to hold the rack position and have someone push her elbows up.

Garrett Smith
11-07-2008, 08:52 AM
For thoracic mobility, Robb Wolf's PMenu article (see the free articles section) is a good one.