PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining desired strength

Joe Hart
11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
So we are all here to get stronger in one fashion or another. But what do we do when we have acheived the goals for strength? Sure its great to continue to get stronger, but I think there is a certain point that more strength will not benefit me for my endevors.

Lets use Back Squat for example. I hit my 2x BW. Now what. 85%x5x2 once a week for the rest of my life? How would maintenance programing work?

Crappy post, but I am not sure how else to put it.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I think it's time to set some new goals.

Doesn't have to be strength oriented either.

I found, after years of strength training, that trying to move progressively heavier and heavier weights was a self defeating profiecy (sp). The plateaus become longer and ascending to the next level harder to attain.

At that point, I cast asside the strength only goal and looked more toward other avenues of fitness. Low and behold, when I returned to strength training, I was actually and surprisingly stronger than when I left. Seriously.

My answer is likely as ambiguous as your post, but I hope you get the point?

All the best,
Arden

Jacob Rowell
11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Arden -

I've experienced similar situations, though I don't have nearly as much experience with training as you. My back squat was stuck at a silly low number for a long time. I stopped squatting altogether, started strongman stuff (stones, farmer's, heavy sandbag work). Surprise surprise, back squat went up 30# without touching it for 6 months. It's gone up another 30# since then.

Joe, I try to look at skill which will put my newfound strength to work. Im finishing up a cycle of frequent squatting and pressing, so now I'm going to strongman and o-lifting. Both can be skill dependent enough that it will take me a good while before strength is a limiting factor again. I'll be able to progress at something, without necessarily getting stronger, though I probably will anyways.

Steven Low
11-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Find a sport that you wanna do?

Thomas Bailly
11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
make gains in weak areas: speed/met con/perfect technique/endurance..../spend more time with wife and kids;)/read that book you haven't had time to read.