PDA

View Full Version : Lower body dominant" power movements"

joe waguespack
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
THis may be a silly question or one of those "if it was a snake it would have bitten you" situations, but I was looking over some different WO's in an article and one of the days was a "lower body dominant power", workout. There were also "lower body dominant strength" days as well, thats easy enough. I was trying to think of lower body power movements, besides box jumps , jumping squats and other plyo based movements what else is there. Maybe KB swings? I now this will be a slap to the forehead once I get a few answers, but I am drawing a blank, or misunderstanding the meaning of the term.

Derek Maffett
11-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Ummm... Clean and jerk? Snatch?

I somehow get the feeling I'm misunderstanding your question.

joe waguespack
11-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Well I guess I classified those more as full body power movements, where as it seems things like cleans and snatches from a high hang would be more upper body dominant movements. I guess I was looking for strictly lower body movements that would be classified as power movements. I know most "power movements " would be considered full body, I guess I had never seen them differentiated as lower body or upper body dominant. Maybe the terminology confused me. like I said the first things I though of were plyo based exercises.

Steven Low
11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Sprinting. Broad jumps... burpee broad jumps. Any type of verts.

My favorite variations are pistol broads or something similar.

Kb swings, sumo DL high pulls, depth drops (well, I suppose that falls under plyo).

There's a bunch of stuffs.

Derek Maffett
11-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Okay, I get it. I'd say all the Olympic lifts are pretty leg-dominant, but the clean is probably the least upper-body-involving one. Snatch and clean pulls would be mostly lower-body.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2008, 06:11 AM
The ones I thought of right away excluding the full Olympic lifts would be

1) Clean pull
2) Snatch pull
3) Jump Shrug
4) Sprinting
5) Plyo and Single Leg stuff

joe waguespack
11-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys. I never thought of the pulls.

Garrett Smith
11-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Jumping squats
Jumping switch lunges
One leg jumps - vertical and broad
Tuck jumps
Etc.