PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Toxicity

Emily Mattes
11-10-2008, 09:31 AM
A week or so ago I realized I'd been seriously oversupplementing on zinc for a while, and it was probably the cause of the nausea and a few other issues I'd been dealing with. Since stopping supplementation entirely, I've been feeling better but am still not back to 100%.

Should I do anything else besides continue to wait? How long will it take things to clear out (or should it have cleared already)? I read that taking extra copper can help counteract the effects, but I can't find anything about dosages and I'm reluctant to engage in any more willy-nilly supplementation as that's what got me into trouble in the first place.

Mike ODonnell
11-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Drink more water and go sweat alot....2 biggest ways to detox naturally

Tony Ferous
11-12-2008, 01:38 AM
How much, what form and for how long were you taking it for??

Garrett Smith
11-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Hair analysis or a blood zinc-copper test may give you the info you're looking for.

Emily Mattes
11-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Tony, I was taking about 100mg in zinc gluconate, 25-45mg in zinc oxide, 5mg in monomethionine, plus whatever I got from food.

Tony Ferous
12-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Thought id re-use this post..

I took another zinc tally test today(worth a try if u suspect toxicity), i suspect im still low in zinc, i just took 30mg of chelated zinc with my chicken, sweet potato and berries post workout.

Toxicity might be harder than it seems though, i just read an except from this book on amazon:Advanced Human Nutrition By Robert E. C. Wildman, Denis M. Medeiros

'phytate present in grains and legumes can bind to zinc...however only in the presence of intraluminal calcium...oxalic acid found in teas, chocolate, berries(argh!) and spinach and polyphenols such as tannins present in teas. High fibre intake may also decrease absorption'

Most know that grains inhibit mineral absorption, but the list surprised me..how many meals do i eat one of berries, spinach, fibre, dark chocolate and tea..answer all of them!!