PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting Shoes

Brian DeGennaro
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I was wondering (for those with multiple pairs) what pairs of weightlifting shoes everyone liked the most? Specifically too, not just the brands. I want to keep this as a reference in case I buy another pair of lifting shoes.

The only I have worn are the suede blue Do-Wins and the Rogue. What is everyone's comparison lifting between brands?

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Brian,
I'm not a good frame of reference. I bought a pair of Adidiastars (sp) as my first pair of WL shoes. I love them. So solid and sturdy.

Just me. But I really don't have a frame of reference for comparison. Sorry I can't be of more help.

All the best,
Arden

Justin Fricke
11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Do-Wins and VS are pretty much exactly the same. On that note that is all i have ever lifted in. i like the VS more the Do-Wins (red suede) blew out all over the place on me shortest WL shoe i had. i liked them but the did not last. I picked up the VS sale shole black and white for 40.00 and cant complain a bit-good for a wider foot.

sarena kopciel
11-12-2008, 03:56 AM
As a preface, we all have different bodies and experiences. Therefore, WL shoes are gonna be experienced differently as well.

That being said, my first pair were leather DOWIns. After about 6 months, I boughts the Adistars and felt a tremendous difference with my comfort and lifts. The heel height can be advantageous or even a disadvantage to some--all depends on body and its build.

Brian DeGennaro
11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Okay, so after my first meet I was told to look into investing in a shoe with a higher heel than my Rogues. Reason: knees need to be more forward and that'll help keep me more solid in the hole of a clean or snatch. I can understand what they mean because I have tons of scar tissue in my ankles from track and gymnastics.

Now, who makes shoes with heels higher than 1.5"? Do-Win seems to be the highest heel out there at the moment.

Yuen Sohn
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Brian,
If you want a little extra height, you can have a cobbler add a bit of heel to your shoes. It's pretty common.

Brian Lawyer
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Okay, so after my first meet I was told to look into investing in a shoe with a higher heel than my Rogues. Reason: knees need to be more forward and that'll help keep me more solid in the hole of a clean or snatch. I can understand what they mean because I have tons of scar tissue in my ankles from track and gymnastics.

Now, who makes shoes with heels higher than 1.5"? Do-Win seems to be the highest heel out there at the moment.

That seems like odd advice considering from what I have read, as you noted above, the Do-win's have one of the highest heel heights available. Maybe you just need a little more practice at keeping knees forward.

On a side note, what's the competition rules for heel height? Is there no limit?

Aaron Gainer
11-24-2008, 10:51 PM
I like my adistars, but I would own a pair of botevs if I didnt have them!!!

Brian Lawyer
11-25-2008, 07:18 AM
I actually wanted the Adidas Ironwork II shoes that I have seen on sale for $109. I drove to Wichita Falls, TX to pick up some bumper plates from Glenn and went ahead and bought a pair of Do-Wins. I saved about $35 dollars on shipping and cheaper price.

I really didn't need the higher heel of a Do-Win because I have pretty good flexibility. But I can't complain they feel great. I had my first heavy squat workout with them yesterday and I was getting an awesome bounce out of the bottom of my squat. I just hope I don't become dependent on the higher heel....

Don Stevenson
11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
There is no limit on heel height for competitions although as a mostly irrelevant aside, the last few versions of adidas "adistar" shoes have technically been illegal because they have more than one strap over the laces it's just that no one cares.

A higher heel is a double edged sword. It helps people with flexibility issues in the receiving position of the snatch and in the clean but higher heels are generally harder to jerk in and the higher the heel the lower the bar is relative to the lifter which can make pulling from the floor harder.

It's not unusual for lifters to have two sets of shoes, one with a higher heel for snatch and another with a lower heel for clean and jerk.

Brian Lawyer
11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
It's not unusual for lifters to have two sets of shoes, one with a higher heel for snatch and another with a lower heel for clean and jerk.

That is a good point maybe I will eventually end up with two sets of shoes in my collection.

It is generally accepted that Do-Wins have one of the, if not the, highest heel lift. So what shoes have the lowest?

Brian DeGennaro
11-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I think the shoes by werksan have the lowest heel at like 1.12"

Liam Dougherty Springer
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Okay I am looking at either the do-win or VS but I am not sure how to order the sizeing. Ny suggertions I have heard a half size up and a half size down:confused:

Thanx All

glennpendlay
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, the 2006, 2008, and even the new 2009 do-win models just about to come out have the same heel height as adidas, werksan, etc. The last do-win shoes that had a slightly higher heel were offered for sale in 2004, and we had them in stock in pretty much all sizes up to 2007, along with the newer lower heel versions.

We still have a very few of them offered for a pretty good discount, but certainly not in all sizes.

If you order do-win shoes from pendlaybarbell.com or muscledriverusa.com, just order your normal size, dont adjust.

glenn

Brian Lawyer
02-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Okay I am looking at either the do-win or VS but I am not sure how to order the sizeing. Ny suggertions I have heard a half size up and a half size down:confused:

Thanx All

My friend just got a pair of these VS Dynamo shoes and they are SWEET looking, http://www.vsathletics.com/product.php?xProd=1917&xSec=1&jssCart=0d272cabd9e818a95e7b3eb57ef95a43, WFS. They look just like a pair of Vans or ETNIES skate shoes. So you can sport them at the gym without looking like you have a pair of bowling shoes on.

I have a pair of the 2008 model silver Do-Wins. I won’t say they are cheaply constructed because they have held up fine for about 3 months now of 3 to 4 days of use per week. But I will say that they are sloppily constructed, if “sloppily” is a word. The Velcro straps were cut way too long. I can almost wrap the front Velcro strap around the shoe. The back one just kind of touches the ground. The shoe laces are about two feet too long. Not such a big deal because I just bought some shorter ones. But who wants to buy a brand new pair of shoes, and then go buy new laces. The glue is showing in a few places. In general, I guess the best description would be poor craftsmanship.

The dynamos on the other hand look very sharp and seemed to have none of the above mentioned flaws. I am jealous of my friend’s new shoes if you can’t tell by now. We’ll have to see how they hold up after some abuse

Brian Lawyer
02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, the 2006, 2008, and even the new 2009 do-win models just about to come out have the same heel height as adidas, werksan, etc. The last do-win shoes that had a slightly higher heel were offered for sale in 2004, and we had them in stock in pretty much all sizes up to 2007, along with the newer lower heel versions.

We still have a very few of them offered for a pretty good discount, but certainly not in all sizes.

If you order do-win shoes from pendlaybarbell.com or muscledriverusa.com, just order your normal size, dont adjust.

glenn

Glenn is definitly the guy to talk to regarding these type of questions. Do-wins got a bad rap due to the heel height on the older models. A lot of people, including myself, were confused about this due to old information that is floating around on various forums. Glenn should also be able to help with your sizing questions.

Brian Lawyer
02-23-2009, 08:25 AM

Liam, If you haven't ordered shoes already forget those VS Dynamos I was telling you about. Checkout these dark blue suede I just saw on Pendlay Barbell, http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/blsudosh.html. They are sweet looking and have "Pendlay Barbell" on the strap. I have no idea why Glenn didn't tell you about these!!

I think those are built by the same manufacturer as the VS Dynamos because they do not appear to have the craftsmanship type issues I mentioned in my above thread regarding my Silver Do-wins.

Milly Williams
05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I really want those pendlay barbell shoes, but I'm not sure what size to get. I am an 8 to 8.5 in women's running shoes. I'm not sure what size I would be in weightlifting shoes. I'm pretty sure those are men shoes on the site and I don't know what an 8 or 8.5 would be in men's size. Can anyone help me?

Allen Yeh
05-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Milly,

I'd shoot Glenn Pendlay and email either look up his email through google or PM him through this site. He's more than happy to help you out.

Milly Williams
05-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Milly,

I'd shoot Glenn Pendlay and email either look up his email through google or PM him through this site. He's more than happy to help you out.

I just emailed him.