PDA

View Full Version : no yams or oatmeal!??

Mandy LaGreca
11-21-2008, 09:02 AM
I just picked up a copy of the Paleo diet, great book.

I am a little upset that he says no oatmeal or yams! I thought they were natural and all bodybuilders swear on it! This was a big shocker for me........

Scott Kustes
11-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Yams are fine. Oatmeal is a grain.

Mike ODonnell
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I am a little upset that he says no oatmeal or yams! I thought they were natural and all bodybuilders swear on it! This was a big shocker for me........

The real question is.....do your train or want to be a bodybuilder....or want to lose weight and be healthy? Alot has to do with your activity level but if your goal is weight loss, you carb intake should reflect more natural sources like fruits/veg (yams are also alot of carbs in one serving....best used pwo if needed at all....which will again depend on your training volume, recovery needs and goals).

Emily Mattes
11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Some people exclude yams and potatoes and things because they're very starchy and theoretically one would not be able to eat them without significant preparation and cooking and whatnot. That's if you're going strict.

Like Scott said though, oatmeal is a grain, so if you are doing pure Paleo you wouldn't be eating it.

Mandy LaGreca
11-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess what I meant to say was, I was shocked b/c I thought grains like quinoa and oatmeal were super grains, and to read that they are to be eaten in moderation rather than a staple surprised me.

Jay Cohen
11-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I guess what I meant to say was, I was shocked b/c I thought grains like quinoa and oatmeal were super grains, and to read that they are to be eaten in moderation rather than a staple surprised me.

Here is a real shocker. Some people don't eat any grains.

Mandy LaGreca
11-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I like the fact that grains fill me up in smaller portions. Where as to eat the same "filling" in veggies, I have to eat tons of veggies. But that is what the gatherers had to do I guess........

Mandy LaGreca
11-21-2008, 06:51 PM
The real question is.....do your train or want to be a bodybuilder....or want to lose weight and be healthy? Alot has to do with your activity level but if your goal is weight loss, you carb intake should reflect more natural sources like fruits/veg (yams are also alot of carbs in one serving....best used pwo if needed at all....which will again depend on your training volume, recovery needs and goals).

Of course I want to be healthy, but Id like to be lean like a bodybuilder too.

Gittit Shwartz
11-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I think you'll find the closer BB'ers come to their contest, the closer their diet comes to being Paleo... They will often drop grains and dairy in the later stages of prep. Put anything unhealthy into your body and it will make you hold on to more fat and water in the long run.

If it helps convince you, I've gotten about as lean as a woman can be without being freakish (leaner than most "figure" competitors on show day - and not just for one day either) on a Paleo diet, with the only exception being whey protein post workout. My coach (male) maintains 4-6% bodyfat year round on a similar diet. Neither of us is naturally ripped by any stretch. I'm convinced we could not have maintained this conditioning over time had we been eating grains without resorting to some of the shadier tricks in the bodybuilding arsenal.

Mandy LaGreca
11-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I think you'll find the closer BB'ers come to their contest, the closer their diet comes to being Paleo... They will often drop grains and dairy in the later stages of prep. Put anything unhealthy into your body and it will make you hold on to more fat and water in the long run.

If it helps convince you, I've gotten about as lean as a woman can be without being freakish (leaner than most "figure" competitors on show day - and not just for one day either) on a Paleo diet, with the only exception being whey protein post workout. My coach (male) maintains 4-6% bodyfat year round on a similar diet. Neither of us is naturally ripped by any stretch. I'm convinced we could not have maintained this conditioning over time had we been eating grains without resorting to some of the shadier tricks in the bodybuilding arsenal.

Interesting........well, I will be going as Paleo as I can handle for a while and lets see what it does for me. I do remember getting my leanest ever following the fat flush diet, which is similar to paleo, before my wedding, even eating lots of fresh fruits. but I have to admit, it was a hard diet to maintain, required lots of prep time (no time with baby) as I dont like raw veggies, and limited my food choices very much. Plus I felt hungry often

There has to be a balance.