PDA

View Full Version : Filing Pound Plates into Kilos

Patrick Donnelly
11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Is it just me, or are small-change kilo plates outrageously expensive? The best price I've seen is $200 for a 22kg set, from this website. Would it be a viable alternative to take 2.5lb, 5lb, and 10lb plates then shave them down to 1kg, 2kg, and 4kg with an angle grinder? It seems that an angle grinder only costs $50-70, depending on the type and size. Iron plates in pounds are dirt cheap (no idea why kilos cost so much), and I don't think it'd be too difficult to weigh.

Any thoughts?

Garrett Smith
11-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Sounds fine to me, just don't leave any sharp edges/angles...

josh everett
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
or you could just do the math in your head.

Kris Reeves
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
It would work, but I'd think that hand-milling them down with a grinder would take a fair amount of time. Plus there would be a lot of imperfections (lopsided, some areas thinner, etc.)

For it to have a 'finished' look it would really need to be done on a lathe. But by all means...have at it and let us know how it goes!

Patrick Donnelly
11-21-2008, 03:12 PM
or you could just do the math in your head.

Kilos to pounds I'm fine with. Pounds to kilos is just annoying. I know it isn't necessary, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice.

Re: Kris
How long could it take? Taking a 5lb plate down to a 2kg plate would be a matter of just 0.6lbs. Anyway, I'm not planning on doing it just this minute. The thought merely came to mind, and I figured I ought to put it down somewhere before forgetting about it. If/when I do it, I'll let you know how it goes.

Brian Lawyer
11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I bought my bumper plates in pounds because I knew that would be a problem. It was a lot cheaper to supplement my bumper plates with some iron pound plates than vice versa. Since I bought them all in pounds I can do the math easier.

I just hope I get the conversion to kilos right when I go to my first competition after practicing in pounds. Luckily I have a crossfit affiliate nearby that I work out at from time to time that has kilos. I will have to practice doing the conversion math over there.

Kris Reeves
11-24-2008, 03:20 PM
How long could it take? Taking a 5lb plate down to a 2kg plate would be a matter of just 0.6lbs.

I don't know...but every time I've had the rotors on a car turned it sure takes a hell of a long time sitting at the dealership...and when they turn the rotors, they are just removing about 1/16" inch of material.

In any case, go for it...I'm curious to see how it would turn out! :)

Kris Reeves
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
A reasonable price on kg training change:

22 kg set from muscle driver on sale for $70 - http://www.muscledriverusa.com/mdmablki1ruw.html

Patrick Donnelly
12-17-2008, 06:10 PM
That looks like good solution. Is there any reason they aren't charge a couple hundred bucks for he set?

Kris Reeves
12-18-2008, 04:12 AM
You know, I'm not really sure. The only thing I can speculate is that they're not IWF certified.

They list that they are within 1%...which as far as I'm concerned is really darn close for home/training gear!

FWIW, I've only read good comments about muscledriver.com. As well, (as I'm sure you've probably read by now), they've acquired Pendlay barbells and have brought Glenn on as part owner and VP. I would not hesitate to order from them.

Chris Rice
12-18-2008, 04:45 AM
The plates are cast and don't grind down easily - it won't be an easy job with an angle grinder. If you plan to do it - buy the 7 1/2" angle grinder for the increased power and speed - you'll be glad you did. You might check the cost with a machine shop - they could turn them down to exact specs probably cheaper and certainly faster and better looking in the end. And they could do it within specs as well.

Tirzah Harper
12-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Half a POUND of metal with a grinder? Have fun with that....
If you have access to a metal lathe or a bandsaw, either one of those options would take far less time. Figuring out exactly how much to remove...well, if you can turn cast iron - which I'm pretty sure you can - a lathe would be easier for that.

glennpendlay
12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Concerning the MD 1kg rule plates, they are pretty good quality. IMO, they are better as far as fit and finish, and weight accuracy, than at least one IWF certified brand. We sold a lot of sets of the WFW 1kg rule plates for around $159 a set, and the MD plates are definately better looking and closer in weight than those were, and quite a bit cheaper to boot.

If you are still looking to file down pound plates, I have tried it. Its hard. If your dead set on it, using a drill press to drill holes in the plate till it weighed right was easier for me than grinding. Looks pretty bad when your done, but most of the time that doesnt matter, and it doesnt take all that long if you have a decent drill press. Would probably be a real pain with a hand drill, though.

glenn

Patrick Donnelly
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Re: Glenn
The Muscle Driver plates look like the solution to me. Their price is good, and they'll save me a decent amount of hassle.

Justin Chebahtah
01-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Instead of grinding them down you could try boring out some holes with a large diameter drill. You could make sure the holes are in a symmetrical pattern around the center for an even weight distribution. Just a thought, seems quicker than grinding...