PDA

View Full Version : Get Awesome!!! oly and gymnastic log

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Chris H Laing
05-31-2009, 04:52 AM
I suggest using double overhand grip instead of hook grip for deadlifts. If you don't do these, your grip strength may fall behind.

Edit: I gotcha now Brian.

On another note, I think I am getting into the realm of seriously under recovering. I'm thinking maybe my migraines are a result of under recovery. I also havent been sleeping as well as I usually do, and my nose is stuffed up all the time.

All this is leading me to believe that I havent been recovering enough, and I'm pretty sure its because I havent been eating enough. I calculated that I've been taking in between 1500 and 1900 cals a day over the last couple days, which is definitely not enough. In zone blocks, excluding the meal at fogo de chao, i've eaten between 30-35 blocks of protein, and 20-25 blocks of carbs, and no fat.

I'd like to be taking in at least 3000 calories a day, but due to my inability to digest fat, I would end up having to ratchet my carbs up to around 55-60 blocks a day.

I think I'm gunna try and approach of eat all my protein for whatever meal it is, then eat carbs til I'm full. If I feel hungry in between meals I'll have some carbs. I'm gunna try to keep everything as paleo as possible.

Another edit: and to contradict everything I just said about not eating enough, I'm up to 144.4 lbs.

Chris H Laing
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM
5-31

rest

6-1

push press 3x5
105, 115, 120
was only supposed to go to 115 today...oops

back squat 3x5
115, 135, 155
went up 10 lbs today due to doing progressive instead of sets across

weighted chin 3x5
5, 15, 25
decently easy

So today, in the interest of helping myself recover faster, I decided to work on progressive sets instead of sets across. I feel much less beat up after this workout than I did after several of my previous ones. I think progressive sets is the way to go for me right now.

Judo tonight...yay

Chris H Laing
06-01-2009, 04:29 PM
No judo tonight...these fucking migraines are starting to interfere with the things i enjoy...

Chris H Laing
06-02-2009, 03:28 PM
6-2

rest day and gymnastics

Picked my tux for prom today. Its pretty spiffy.

Also, I'm gaining some mad weight pretty fast. I'm up to 147 in the morinng, and 150 in the middle of the day. And it doesnt seem to be much fat, as my abzz are still as visible as they were.

Maybe this can take me to the 160# i want so bad.

tumbling
1.5 hrs
bhs sucked, got back tuck extremely comfortable on the floor, wanna start working on aerial

It was a decent session. I got to play with some parkour guys, and I found out I can pretty easily kong (?) vault over a picnic table, long wise, and I almost double konged (?) two picnic tables length, but failed.

I need a better warmup than just playing around on the apparatuses because its not working. I think im gunna try and work some pistol negatives or assisteds as skill work, nothing to intense, and itll help warm up my legs.

Brian Solar
06-02-2009, 05:44 PM
You're gaining weight pretty quickly, how much are you eating?

Chris H Laing
06-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Lots and lots of fruit. I'm getting about 250g of protein from whole foods, and then i'm eating fruit til i cant anymore, and then i eat a little more. And i eat fruit in between meals whenever i start to not feel full.

But I'm thinking the massive gain in weight was due to...i'm not really sure what actually, but I feel like the weight gain will stop once i start having weeks where everything goes as scheduled and I dont miss a workout or a judo session or a tumbling session, and hopefully I'll maintain at around 145-150. Ideally I'd like to be around 160, but i figure that'll come with time and heavy lifting.

Chris H Laing
06-03-2009, 01:56 PM
6-3

power clean 5x3
95, 105, 115, 125, 135#
didnt feel great, but didnt feel bad either

back squat 3x5
120, 140, 160#
this was interesting, never squatted commando before, also bar speed is starting to slow down

press 3x5
50, 60, 70#
figured out better starting position, easy

amrap 6 min
15 pushups
15m farmers walk, 75# dbs
7 rounds, 15 push + 7.5m farmers walk
i hate pushups, farmers walks werent very hard

So about that squatting commando...I accidentally wore boxers today instead of boxer briefs, and they were too tight to let me get into the bottom of a squat, so I took them off and left them in a locker in the bathroom, did my squats, then put them back on for the rest of the workout.

Chris H Laing
06-04-2009, 02:42 PM
6-4

Rest day, writing my final english paper tonight, so after tomorrow im done with english.

My abzz are so sore today. It hurts to laugh, and to walk, and lay down, and poop. Too many back flips i guess, and i bet the power cleans, squats, and presses didnt help either...

Chris H Laing
06-06-2009, 06:03 AM
6-5

was supposed to go to judo today, but it was my friends birthday so we went to shiros, and we were all gunna go to a movie afterwards, but i got hit with another migraine...fuck my life

I think it might be going from low carb to high carb so quickly, and maybe im taking in too much sugar or something. I think soon I'm gunna try to get some digestive enzymes and go back to high fat, low carb to try to stop these migraines.

Chris H Laing
06-06-2009, 11:08 AM
6-6

back squat 3x5
125, 145, 165#
my back got really tight during the last set, starting to have some forward lean going on, getting hard

deadlift 1x5
215#
double overhand for warmups, hook grip for work set, easy

8 min amrap
250m row
10 push press, 35# dbs
4 rounds + ~40m
good one, rowing sucks, beat my dad by about 20m

Still had a headache this morning when i woke up. Had real eggs this morning, and the fat didnt seem to bother me, so thats cool. This is the third week in a row that I've had to squat through a migraine on a saturday. I need less sugar in my diet i think.

Chris H Laing
06-07-2009, 12:48 PM
6-7

Had real eggs again this morning and the fat didnt sit well with my stomach, so I'll lay off them for a few days and then come back. Headache is mostly gone. I've dropped some carbs out of the diet because i think they're prolly the cause of the sudden migraines.

Also, next week I think ill start to include power clean and jerks (maybe full, havent decided yet) with a recovery set of squats after them, and will still be squatting progressively heavier on the other two days. Nothing else is changing.

Tim Luby
06-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey Chris, thanks for stopping by my log. I did the shouldering all to one side. My reasoning is that I don't want to let technical issues interfere with my workout. My goal is to get as many reps in as short a time as possible, and I am much more efficient going to one side (left shoulder, BTW). Basically, my technique to the right shoulder sucks and I don't want to work on it!

I also feel that the majority of power is coming from the legs/posterior chain, and equally from both side no matter which side I shoulder to, so this makes switching sides not all that important. I think about in terms of a clean or any other oly movement.

I'm sure there are strong arguments for switching sides and I may be doing myself a disservice, but as of now, it works for me!

Chris H Laing
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
6-8

unscheduled rest day

I dunno whats up with me lately, but something needs to change. I feel like I'm sick all the time. This morning, after eating, i got a feeling like the world was spinning around me. It was like I was on a really bad drug trip, and its been going on for almost 7 hours. Its finally starting to go away though.

Trying to decide if judo is the right decision tonight...

Chris H Laing
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Trying to decide if judo is the right decision tonight...

Decided it wasnt...

6-9

rest day

Tomorrows supposed to be a rest day but I'm looking to go to judo tomorrow since ive been missing it so much. We'll see how my head feels.

Chris H Laing
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
6-10

Still not feeling good. No judo tonight, and no judo on friday, because its prom night. But after that school is over, and hopefully ill be feeling better, and then nothing will keep me from judo. I wanna get good before going off to college.

Chris H Laing
06-11-2009, 07:18 PM
6-11

finally back in the gym!!

back squat 3x5
115, 135, 155
took it down today, back up to 165 next week, then on from there

deadlift 1x5
225 (pr)
double overhand, no hook, this is default grip from now on

pullups - max
23 (pr)
started out deadhang, ended half kipping, grip gave out

Wrestled with my friends afterward. Two of them are 140-150, and i dominate them both, the other is 170, strong as a mofo, and hes just too big for me to do anything against so we always ended in a stalemate. Once i get back to judo ill do better...

Steven Low
06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
And that is the fun of being strong when you're decently lightweight. Your friends are like WTF?

Chris Salvato
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Steve, I am still fairly certain i can pwn you in a fight.

Chris H Laing
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
6-12

LCCJ 1 pd
5 min
didnt stop the whole time, maybe need to move up to the 1.5 pd

And thats it. Just wanted to move around some. Also, since its summer and all, I'll be starting up IF again.

Also, Steven and Chris, if you do fight, please put it up on the boards so we all can watch.

Chris H Laing
06-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Ugh. Prom was last night. I didnt get to sleep til 6am, and was woken up at 7:30 and forced to go home. Also, I never party, so when I do it hits me pretty hard. Havent decided if I'm gunna do a workout today or not. Well see how I feel in a couple hours...

Chris Salvato
06-13-2009, 12:16 PM
take a rest day you party animal...

prom can be brutal :P

Chris H Laing
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
6-13

*16 hr fast*

So I got home, ate like a pig, and started to feel better, so I decided to go in for the workout.

power clean and jerk
work to 135# for a single
3 singles at 125#
didnt feel very snappy, need to work on my jerk form

knees to elbows
3x15
hard on the grip

Was supposed to do a metcon but didnt really feel up to it. Ill get it next week. Now I'm off to go eat more. And sleep more.

Chris H Laing
06-15-2009, 03:26 AM
6-14

*no fast*

Rest day. Took a bike ride and played around with my kbs. Worked on my clean and snatch form. The left arm is kinda off, but the right feels great. Then did some windmills. Fun stuff. Gymin it up tomorrow after graduation practice, and then judo in the evening.

Chris H Laing
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
6-15

*no fast*

back squat 3x5
125, 145, 165#
pretty easy, need to keep focusing on form

press 3x5
55, 65, 75#
easy, next week will be a pr

weighted chin 3x5
10, 20, 30# (pr)
decently hard, i might have a couple more weeks of 5# progression, but soon it'll be down to 2.5#

Graduation is tomorrow, and after that I have nothing to worry about for a month or so. Cant wait.

Judo
1.5 hrs
rocked ne waza, usually thomas is all over me but i crushed him, not so much in randori...all the times hes gone that i havent have made him so much better than me...i need more work on my kuzushi

Chris H Laing
06-16-2009, 07:19 AM
I think I pulled my right hamstring...right when everything was coming together so nicely.

Edit: Yea pretty sure its pulled. Just experimented with some air squats and light kb swings. Air squats felt fine, but when I put a pvc bar on my back and went for a more lb style squat, ouch.

And the kb swings sent pain throughout my lower right leg. I dunno whats up with that, but now the back of my right leg, right under my butt, hurts.

Chris H Laing
06-18-2009, 06:18 AM
6-16 / 6-17

*no fasts*

Rest days.

All night grad party was on the 16, so I ate terribly. 17 was a rest day on which I didnt wake up til around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and then I ate the rest of the day. Hamstring is feeling better, so I think I might be able to squat on thurs.

Chris H Laing
06-18-2009, 11:17 AM
6-18

*no fast*

back squat 3x5
135, 150, 170#
170 felt almost easy

deadlift 1x5
235# (pr)
used to be my 3rm

3 rounds
10 pullups - chest
100 single unders
didnt time, definitely under 8 min
left grip burned, pants kept falling down during jump roping

Chris H Laing
06-20-2009, 06:51 AM
6-19

Went to a lot of graduation parties. One had a moon bounce that I went crazy on. Lots of back flips, front flips, side flips, twisty front flips, front and back handsprings, etc. It was pretty intense. Then I played ultimate frisbee for an hour or so. Lots of sprinting and tackling. Fun day.

Also, I started to develop some pain in my right knee. Not sure from what, but I'm hoping itll just go away. I need to start foam rolling again.

And I woke up this morning at 139 lbs. Not good. Need to eat more.

Update: my knee pain is in my patellar tendon, so maybe patellar tendonitis? I'm off to do some research but does anyone have any info on this? Will it keep me from training? How long to recover? etc.

Steven Low
06-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Update: my knee pain is in my patellar tendon, so maybe patellar tendonitis? I'm off to do some research but does anyone have any info on this? Will it keep me from training? How long to recover? etc.

If it's overuse then ice, rest, cross friction massage, maybe some light eccentric work only.

Recovery time depends on how bad it is

Chris H Laing
06-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks Steven. Good looks :p

I think it might be a result of all the jumping on the moon bounce yesterday, and all the sprinting during ultimate yesterday. Im gunna lay off it for a couple days and just do some upper body gymnastics stuff, and hopefully it'll get better.

I foam rolled this morning after breakfast and it made it feel ever so slightly better.

Chris H Laing
06-20-2009, 06:32 PM
6-20

Rest day

Relaxed all day due to my knee, and it is finally starting to feel better. Still hurts a little, but not nearly as much as it did this morning. I think I'll be back in the gym by monday.

Update: Knee pain is gone. Ill be giving squatting a try tomorrow with the planned weight increase.

Also, did a set of max pushups right before bed for shits a giggles...62 reps. Pretty much absolute failure going for the 63.

Chris H Laing
06-22-2009, 11:23 AM
6-22

*no fast*

back squat 3x5
135, 155, 175#
pretty easy, took a long breathing break between 4 and 5th rep of last set

press 3x5
60, 70, 80# (pr)
really easy for a pr...

weighted chin 3x5
15, 25, 35# (f)
last rep didnt quite get my chin over the bar so ill repeat next week

Chris H Laing
06-25-2009, 05:01 PM
6-23,24,25

All rest days. I havent been eating enough lately, and although I'm not really losing weight, I am definitely much more fatigued all the time. Today was supposed to be power cleans, recovery squats, and a metcon. Ill try to hit the cleans and squats tomorrow, and prolly leave the metcon til next time around.

Also did a 14 hr fast on the 23 and the 25

Steven Low
06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
How about taking an off week...

Chris H Laing
06-26-2009, 06:15 AM
6-26

*14 hr fast*

How about taking an off week...

That might be just what I need. Soooo...

Rest day.

Chris Salvato
06-26-2009, 08:13 AM
I am inclined to agree with Steve :P Good luck! Enjoy it

Chris H Laing
06-28-2009, 05:30 AM
So I've been thinking about my training a lot recently, and I think I've been doing the same thing for too long, so I'm gunna switch it up to 4-8 weeks of a more hypertrophy based program.

I think I'm gunna do 2 days with weights, still focusing on the big compound movements, but with an ascending 3x8 rep scheme, and bent over rows instead of deadlifts because I've never done bent over rows before.

The third day of the week will be a metcon at my home using things like box jumps, wall balls, ball slams, and kb stuff. Most likely lots of sprints as well.

I really just wanna see if I have the ability to gain any muscle at all, or if I'm doomed to be small forever...we shall see in like 5 days once my rest week is over.

Steven Low
06-28-2009, 08:38 AM
If you want mass you need to keep the deadlifts.

Also, I don't know why you're doing ascending sets. At the weights you're moving you need to be doing straight sets.

Also, you need to eat more and probably need more protein to get big. Putting yourself on a "hypertrophy" program still won't make you big if you don't eat for it.

Chris H Laing
06-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I probably do need to eat more, but I dont think protein is a problem. I get at least 280g of protein a day because I'm on a 40 block protein, 32 block carb zone right now with as much fat as I can handle.

Also, I switched out the rows for deadlifts because I feel like 3 sets of 8 dls is going to be extremely hard to recover from.

Steven Low
06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that may be a bit much. Do the SS DL 1x5 instead.

And holy crap that's a lot of protein... honestly, you may want to cut some out in favor of more fat. Protein is fairly inefficiently metabolized so the energy you're getting from it is less. And with that much protein your body definitely isn't utilizing all of it anyway so a lot of it is probably going to waste.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I think you're over thinking this, Chris. I don't know if your signature is still accurate but if you weigh 140lbs at 5'9 and are after some "hypertrophy" you shouldn't be worrying about your macronutrient ratio. If you want to get bigger, you should be doing something tried and true; eating everything in sight and doing SS.

If that doesn't work, then you:
a) are not eating enough
b) don't know how to squat
c) both of the above

SS is a wonderful thing. Read the book, drink the milk, do the program, profit.

I used to weigh 135lbs at 5'8" before SS myself.

Chris Salvato
06-28-2009, 08:02 PM
SS. GOMAD. Eat Everything in sight. Don't worry about getting fat. It really is that simple.

If you are a hard gainer then you don't have to worry about nitpicking calories. I don't think hard gainers should even worry about zone and blocks and calorie partitioning if they are just trying to put on weight by any means necessary. A hard gainer's body is geared towards muscle gains - lucky you!

Drink your gallon and lift heavy in squat and DL. Then you will get strong AND big.

I know many hard gainers that complain they can't put on weight. Then when i ask if they tried drinking a gallon a day they say no. Trust me, the gallon will make you big and it is not expensive...just be ready to go to the grocery store a lot.

Chris H Laing
06-29-2009, 05:52 AM
And holy crap that's a lot of protein... honestly, you may want to cut some out in favor of more fat. Protein is fairly inefficiently metabolized so the energy you're getting from it is less. And with that much protein your body definitely isn't utilizing all of it anyway so a lot of it is probably going to waste.

I would love to but my body doesnt handle fat well. I get constipated for days. Its not pretty.

I think you're over thinking this, Chris. I don't know if your signature is still accurate but if you weigh 140lbs at 5'9 and are after some "hypertrophy" you shouldn't be worrying about your macronutrient ratio.

Im not using the zone so much to count my macronutrient intake but to make sure I'm eating a decent amount to at least maintain the weight I've gained.

SS is a wonderful thing. Read the book, drink the milk, do the program, profit.

I used to weigh 135lbs at 5'8" before SS myself.

I've done SS before, for 2 months or so, and I did gomad, and I think that it is part of the reason my stomach is so fucked up now.

I know many hard gainers that complain they can't put on weight. Then when i ask if they tried drinking a gallon a day they say no. Trust me, the gallon will make you big and it is not expensive...just be ready to go to the grocery store a lot.

I've done gomad before. It got me up from 130 to 150 in 2 months, but it was mostly fat because when I started up with more metcon and stopped gomad I dropped back to 135.

Anyway, Im still up in the air about whether or not Ill actually be doing the 3x8 thing I just suggested. I'm at a weird place in my training because on the one hand I wanna keep getting stronger but at the same time I wanna get bigger because I feel like my small size makes it harder to get stronger.

Peter Andersen
06-29-2009, 06:15 AM
I would love to but my body doesnt handle fat well. I get constipated for days. Its not pretty.

Have you had that diagnosed professionally as being something in particular?

Maybe Dr. G can recommend something.

Solve that problem and then all you'd need to do is find a pill to cure Program ADD ;)

Garrett Smith
06-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Chris,
PM me if you want about this question...

Do you have any other symptoms come up when you up your fat intake? Or does the constipation issue only happen with milk in general?

Chris H Laing
07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
7-2

Rest day. Was gunna do a planche back lever embedded gymbod style workout today at home, but I really fucked up my right elbow yesterday by no hand truck bed surfing on the parkway at like 70mph. It was fun but my friend braked too hard and I smashed my elbow into the back of the cab hard.

Tomorrow Ill try to do some stuff that I dont need my elbow for. I'm thinking squats and sprints? Well see.

Still not sure of the direction I want to take my training, because I have run out of money for judo...

Chris H Laing
07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
7-3

back squat
135x5, 150x5, 165#x5
just to get back in the groove, will go for 175 next time and then its back into PR territory

sprints
8x50m, 60 sec rest
no way to accurately time them so I just ran as hard as I could, by the 5th they were feeling slow, sprint form needs work

Elbow is feeling better. Still cant do a pullup or pushup without pain but the swelling has gone way down.

Sprints are fun. My legs are already sore. Also I need a lot more form. Anybody have any good resources that might help?

Chris H Laing
07-06-2009, 07:14 AM
7-4

Rest day. Did absolutely nothing but rest, relax, eat and set off fireworks. Good day.

7-5

Rest day. Played about 2 hours of ultimate. Fun stuff.

Gunna try some presses today to see if my elbow can take it, then hit up some deadlifts and a metcon.

Chris H Laing
07-06-2009, 12:30 PM
7-6

push press
95x5, 105x5, 115#x5
felt heavier than i would have liked

deadlift
225#x5
felt good

15-12-9 reps
pullups
box jumps, 20in
2:06
feels good to start metcon again

Chris H Laing
07-12-2009, 05:42 PM
So I've been acting like a pussy lately and only training when its convenient for me. I've got a lot of other thing going on at the moment, but starting now I will begin to make a conscious effort to get my ass in the gym.

I am a terrible liar. I just had my wisdom teeth removed. I will try to get back into the gym as soon as possible - but not today. I swallowed too much blood and am typing this in between trips to the bathroom to throw up.

Chris H Laing
07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
7-13

squat
135x3, 155x3, 175#x3
disappointed with this, thinking about dropping the weight and switching to 3x3 across for a while

chin ups
5 on the min, 5 min
pretty easy, moving on to 6 min next week

Next time I do this workout I will either add sprints or ab work after the chin ups. Didnt want to do too much today after such a long time off.

Chris H Laing
07-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. They are still bothering me, and I have swallowed so much blood that I keep throwing up. My diet has consisted of pudding, applesauce, mashed sweet potatoes, and yogurt. I have probably lost 5 lbs.

Hopefully I'll get back into the gym in the next few days, where I will be starting up SS once again, exhausting linear progression, moving to the advanced beginner SS, again exhausting linear progression, and then moving on to TM for a while.

I'm hoping to be doing this for around 6 months, at least. During these 6 months I will not worry about my diet or my abs. I just wanna be bigger.

Kevin Perry
07-18-2009, 05:31 PM
That sucks bro, def take a few days and get well before starting SS.

I've already put on 10 lbs from GOMAD, 3 meals, and ice cream each night.

Chris H Laing
07-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the sentiment Kevin.

I'm not doing GOMAD though. Just eating lots and lots of food. Ice cream sounds good though.

Chris H Laing
07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get into the gym and hit the first SS workout. I'm also gunna be using some floreio type stuff as my warmups (from Ido's site).

Starting weights are going to be:
squat - 95 lbs
press - 50 lbs
bench - 95 lbs
deadlift - 135 lbs
power clean - 95 lbs

Júlíus G. Magnússon
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Why no GOMAD? It's such an easy source of 2500 good Calories and it's been proven to work time and time again.

Chris H Laing
07-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I've tried GOMAD before. I put on weight fast but it was mostly fat. I also think (I have no real medical support behind this) that the massive amounts of milk actually made me allergic to dairy. Since going through two months of GOMAD I have not been able to drink milk or eat yogurt or cheese without getting an unsettled stomach.

Edit: If my weight gain stops, but my linear progression is still going strong, I may start to introduce milk again. Still, I will probably never drink a full gallon a day ever again.

Chris H Laing
07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Yesterday I had a handstand competition with some of my friends. I kicked up and felt like my mouth was about to explode. I decided not lift today since I dont want my stitches ripping apart.

Instead I did a floreio workout from Ido's site.

7-20

Warmup - shoulder and squat routines

3 rounds, 60 sec rest
slide into low bridge x 5, 5 sec hold
wall rotate into arch x 10
QDR pushups, 2nd beginner x 10

This was fun. Probably too long for a warmup though. I'm definitely going to keep doing the shoulder and squat routines. They both feel great.

james forshaw
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't tell people to not do handstands after extractions, but maybe I should from now on! You need a good several days before you're healed enough for stuff like that - we tend not to take out teeth if someone's blood pressure is above 165 systolic over here, imagine the pressure in your head when you're upside down!

Chris H Laing
07-22-2009, 07:13 PM
7-21/22

Rest days.

Going to be back in the gym tomorrow to start SS.

Chris H Laing
07-23-2009, 09:29 AM
7-23

Finally got to the gym

warm up
jump rope 5 min
joint mobility 5 min
shoulder routine
squat routine

workout
squat
95# 3x5
nice and easy, good starting weight

press
55# 3x5
felt good

power clean
95# 5x3
nice and snappy

Felt good to workout again. The shoulder and squat routines are great warm ups. They get everything nice and loose.

Chris H Laing
07-24-2009, 11:51 AM
7-24

rest day

Chris H Laing
07-25-2009, 10:06 AM
7-25

warmup
5 min jump rope
shoulder routine
squat routine

workout
squat
105# 3x5
easy, +10# next time

bench press
95# 3x5
still trying to figure out the form, +5#

deadlift
135# 1x5
felt like a warmup, +20#

Feeling pretty good right now. Been eating a lot.

Cant really figure out the correct bar path for bench. Next time I think ill bring my camera and get some videos to be criticized.

Chris H Laing
07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
7-26

Rest day...sort of.

Ended up bouncing on a trampoline for a couple hours. Learned how to do side flips, 180/360 front flips, and 180 back flips. Pretty fun stuff.

Chris H Laing
07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
7-27

All the two nasty falls I took yesterday caught up with me this morning when I woke up and my lower back hurt like no other. It was so painful I couldn't even squat the empty bar so I didnt even attempt power cleans.

warmup
jump rope
shoulder routine
squat routine

workout
press
60# 3x5
worked on correct form, +5# next time

Also, I didnt eat enough today...

Chris H Laing
07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Back is feeling better. I'll be back in the gym tomorrow. Been eating a lot of food, and not the healthy kind of food.

Chris H Laing
08-02-2009, 10:08 AM
8-2

warm up
jump rope
shoulder routine
squat routine

workout
front squat
95# 3x5
good starting weight, +10#

chin ups
5 x 5(f) otm
forgot my watch so I just rested 30 sec between sets, go for 5x5

back ext
3x10
lower back got really tight, +10#

Would it be detrimental to do back extensions every workout?

Chris H Laing
08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
8-3

Rest day. My ass is sore.

Chris Salvato
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
8-2
Would it be detrimental to do back extensions every workout?

Not really, generally speaking.

Chris H Laing
08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
8-8

warmup
jump rope 5 min
shoulder routine
squat routine 1

workout
push press
85# 4/4/4/4
felt decent, +5#

deadlift
155# 5
felt good, +10#

tri ext
50# 10/10/10
next time im gunna do skull crushers

curls
45# 10/10/10
stay with this weight next time

Fun workout. My arms are kind of blown up right now.

Chris H Laing
08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
8-9

Rest day. Squats, bench, and metcon tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
08-10-2009, 11:30 AM
8-10

warmup
jump rope 5 min
squat routine 1
shoulder routine

workout
squat
115# 5/5/5
nice and easy, +10#

bench
95# 5/5/5
cant make these feel comfortable, +5#

curls
45# 10/10/6(f)
tried to keep it strict, go to 3x8 next time

5 min cindy
4 rounds, 5 pull+7 push
pushups were the limiting factor here

I feel kinda beat. Only a week before I'm off to college so I've been partying much more than I should.

Chris H Laing
08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
8-12

power clean
100# 3/3/3/3/3
bumped my thighs a couple times, need to fix that

press
65# 5/5/5
pretty easy

decline sit ups
3x10

back ext
+10# 3x10

Chris H Laing
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
8-13

Rest day.

Chris H Laing
08-14-2009, 09:51 AM
8-14

front squat
105# 5/5/5
felt good, no elbow dropping

deadlift
175# 5
realized i havent been locking my upper back in my deadlifts, made this really easy

15-12-9:
hang power snatch, 65#
box jump, 24 in
3:15

During my warm up I hit my first clean consecutive double unders; 8 on the first try, and no more than 4 on following tries. Pretty excited about this. Soon I'll be doing annie as rx'd.

Chris H Laing
08-21-2009, 05:11 PM
8-21

Been white water canoeing for the last four days and sleeping in the wild. I'll pick up the workouts again after orientation weekend.

Chris H Laing
08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
8-23

Hopefully I'll be in the gym tomorrow!

Chris H Laing
08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
8-25

squats
115# 5/5/5
easy, go up 20# next time

chins
5 x 5
next time on the minute

15-12-9
push press, 35# dbs
pullups
3:48
push presses went good, pullups did not

Worked out for the first time in the college gym. Not a single decent pullup bar. They're all the kind with 10 different handles going in random directions. My hands kept slipping off during the metcon. Felt great to workout again though.

Chris Salvato
08-25-2009, 07:20 PM
The fitness industry is in such a sad state when you can't even find a bar to pull yourself up on ;)

Chris H Laing
08-27-2009, 04:42 AM
8-26

Rest day. Power cleans, bench, and metcon tomorrow.

The fitness industry is in such a sad state when you can't even find a bar to pull yourself up on ;)

True that.

Chris H Laing
08-27-2009, 08:27 AM
8-27

double unders
14 consecutive
PR! up from 7 or 8 last time, I'll be able to use these in metcons soon

power clean
105# 3/3/3/3/3
easy, +10#

bench
95# 5/5/5
easy, +5#

21-15-9
box jumps, 20 in
pushups
2:37
everything unbroken, need a higher box

Chris H Laing
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
8-30

double unders
8/6/6
not my best, my shorts kept sliding down

press
65# 5/5/5
easy

deadlift
185# 5
easy

dips
3x10

curls
45# 8/8/8

K2E
3x10

Back Ext
+25# 10/10/10

Chris H Laing
09-01-2009, 09:05 AM
9-1

double unders

squat
135# 5,5,5
4x5 next week

press
70# 5,5,5
+5#

chins
5,5,5,5,5f on the minute
repeat next week

sprints
8x50m / 60 sec rest

Júlíus G. Magnússon
09-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Hey, Chris. What happened to your SS cycle?

Chris H Laing
09-08-2009, 08:04 AM
9-8

double unders
9, 4, 9

power clean
115# 3,3,3,3,3
easy, kept hitting myself in the neck though

Caught a cold visiting JMU over the weekend. Still getting over it so I didnt do much. My pwo meal was a zone bar and a shot of dayquil.

Hey, Chris. What happened to your SS cycle?

College. Everything is so hectic right now I dont have a set workout schedule and I end up just doing whatever I feel like doing when I actually do get into the gym.

Chris H Laing
09-10-2009, 08:40 AM
9-10

double unders
21 (PR), 2, 2
21 is a huge pr, on consecutive sets i couldnt get into a good rhythm

air baby frog stance
3x20 sec
pretty easy

squat
135# 5,5,5,5
still pretty easy, 5x5 next week

bench
100# 5,5,5
still dont like bench, might replace it with dips

Still sick, but I think Im over the worst of it. Im also finally adjusting to college life so I'll be in the gym more frequently.

Chris H Laing
09-11-2009, 11:14 AM
9-11

double unders
these were abysmal today, couldnt get a rhythm at all

deadlift
205# x 5
easy, +20#

4 rounds:
30m farmers walk, 75# dbs
10 burpees
4:58
met pukie, saw stars, i hate burpees

Chris H Laing
09-14-2009, 11:30 AM
9-14

squat
135#x5x5
145 for 3x5 next time

press
70#x4x5
5x5 next time

chins
5x5 otm
5x6 next time

I am now 150#. Most if not all weight gain is fat from crappy college food and loads of alcohol.

Chris H Laing
09-15-2009, 10:45 AM
9-15

power clean
125#x5x3
pretty soon i'll be power cleaning more than i squat

5 rounds:
10 walking lunges, 55# db
15 55# db swings
5:13
2:00 pr even though my diets been shitty and i havent been in the gym consistently for the last month

15 min swim for fun

Chris H Laing
09-18-2009, 04:48 AM
9-17

squat
155#x3x3
surprised how easy this was

bench
105#x3x5

k2e
3x10

Followed by a VERY thirsty thursday night

Chris H Laing
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
9-21

squat
155#x3x4
very doable, 3x5 next time

press
70#x5x5
easy, go up in weight

chins
5x5 otm
fail on last rep, do again

Chris H Laing
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
9-22

power clean
125#x5x3
woops, go up next week

15-12-9
pullups
pushups
2:59
i wish i had a pullup bar that wasnt covered in slippery rubber

Chris H Laing
09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
9-24

squat
155#x3x5
easier than 3x4, 4x5 next time

bench
115#x3x5
accidentally jumped too much

deadlift
225#x5
harder than it should have been, do again next week

Metcon tomorrow depending on what happens tonight.

Chris H Laing
09-28-2009, 07:15 PM
9-28

squat
155#x4x5
5x5 next time

press
75#x3x5
4x5 next time

chins
13, 8, 5
holy shit I've gotten fat

incline DB bench
40#x3x10
very hard by the last rep

DB curls
25#x2x10, 20#x10
switch to barbell next time

Kevin Perry
09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
9-28
chins
13, 8, 5
holy shit I've gotten fat

Yea those pullups suck after you move up in weight :D

Chris H Laing
10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
10-1

squat
155# 5x5

bench
115#x4x5

power clean
heavy single - 165#

dips
3x10

one arm db rows
50#x3x10

Tired today. Probably gunna be sore.

Chris H Laing
10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
10-5

squat
165#x3x5
4x5 next time

press
75#x5x5
80#x3x5

chins
13, 8, 5
no improvement

incline DB bench
40#x3x10
easier this time

curls
45#x3x10

Chris H Laing
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
10-8

squat
165#x4x5
felt good, 5x5 next week

bench
115#x5x5
almost too easy, 120#x3x5 next time

power clean
135#x5x3
+5# next time

dips
+5#x3x10

bent over rows
95#x3x8(f)
failed on last two reps, go again next week

Then played about an hour of racquetball.

Chris H Laing
10-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Lots of shit happened this week. Nothing to discuss here, but it caused me to miss both lifting sessions this week.

Since I'm home this week though, I got to go back into the gymnastic gym last night and got my back flip back on solid ground very quickly. Fun and my abs are sore like they havent been in a while. The friend who used to come with me almost has his back flip too.

Looking forward to getting back to my weights next week though.

Chris H Laing
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
10-19

Back in the gym!

Squats
165#x5x5
last set was hard, 175#x3x3 next time

press
80#x3x5
4x5 next time

chins
13, 8, 7
PR on the last set by two reps

incline DB bench
40#x3x12
fail on last rep of last set, do again next week

curls
45#x3x12
easy enough, 50#x3x10 next time

Good workout today. Gunna be sore tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
10-20

power clean
140#x5x3

k2e
2x10
was about to do my third set when a friend dragged me into some other random ab work

ghd sit ups
3x15

Rest day tomorrow. My legs are sore as shit.

Chris H Laing
10-26-2009, 04:53 AM
10-26

squats
#175x3x3
its amazing how much heavier 175 feels compared to 165, 3x4 next time

bench
#120x3x5
pretty easy, 5x5 next time

deadlift
#185x5
very easy, +20# next time

dips
+5#x2x12, 1x12(f)
these got ridiculously hard by the third set, will go for 2x12 with weight and 1x12 bw next time

good morning
45#x3x10
trying to get the form down, very uncomfortable movement but I need more strength in my lower back

Chris H Laing
10-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Haven't reflected much here in a while now, so I think its time to reevaluate my goals.

I wanna be strong, fast, and look good naked.

Some goals that I think reflect this:
-at least a 700# CFT
- squat - 225
- press - 160
- deadlift - 315
-bench - 185
-power clean - 185

Once I hit these numbers I'm going to head back into a MEBB hybrid. I'll follow CF mainpage, but I'll be scaling all the workouts down to 15-20 minutes, and performing a strength movement before-hand.

day 1 - squat, wod
day 2 - press, wod
day 3 - deadlift, wod
day 4 - rest
day 5 - squat, wod
day 6 - bench, wod
day 7 - wod
day 8 - rest

I think it'll work well to keep me strong while getting me fit and lean.

Daniel Mays
10-28-2009, 05:43 PM
You are definitely getting awesomer faster.

Chris H Laing
11-02-2009, 05:13 PM
11-2

squat
175#x3x4
lifted without my rogues, 3x5

press
80#x4x5
last set was hard, 5x5

chins
13, 7, 5
shit

incline DB press
40#x3x12
only did 10 in the last set, do again

curls
45#x3x12
only did 8 in the last set, do again

Tired after this one. Felt good to workout again though.

Chris H Laing
11-05-2009, 09:37 PM
11-5

squat
175#x3x5
getting close to the strength I had at the end of SS, 4x5

bench
125#x3x5
felt good, +5#

deadlift
205#x5
+10#

Rethinking goals again. I've been getting ridiculously out of shape and can barely keep up during football, lacrosse, raquetball, etc. I might need to rethink things again, but we'll see.

Chris H Laing
11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Found out there is a paintball field 30 minutes drive away from campus. This is exciting for me because I used to play amateur and semi pro tournaments and used to be a ref. A couple of friends and I are going to start a team and enter the next tournament so it's time to start getting fit for it now.

The plan is to finish this week out the way I've been doing it, without all the body building type stuff. That will keep the volume this week pretty low. The week afterward I will do some tests; I'll do a CFT and a tabata pull, push, squat test.

Then its time for some hybridization. I'm gunna keep the strength in there, squats 2x a week, deadlift, press, bench, clean all 1x a week. I'm also gunna add in some muscle up work, and tabatas 1x a week.

There will be 3-4 wods a week, 3 after strength sessions that will be under 10 minutes, and 1 that will be slightly longer, maybe 15.

Schedule is gunna be:
mon - squat, bench, wod
tues - power clean, press, wod
thurs - squat, muscle ups, wod
fri - push press, deadlift, tabata
sat - optional wod

Saturdays and sundays the field is open for anyone to come by and play, so those will be the days I'll be going to play games. Other days of the week, our team will be doing drills (snap shooting, run and gun, etc).

It is almost incomprehensible how excited I am to get back to paintball. I had a chance to play pro tourneys a couple of years ago, and I missed out because I was an idiot. This might be a second chance, and even if not I'll still have lots of fun.

Chris H Laing
11-12-2009, 02:45 PM
11-12

Decided to hit up the CFT today.

Squat
205#(pr), 215#(pr), 225#(f)
first time breaking 200 on squats, was so pumped about it that I decided to go for 225, but my back rounded a lot in the bottom, probably could have fought it up but it would have been ugly and it would have hurt

Press
95#, 100#(pr), 105#(pr)
first time hitting triple digits on press, stoked about that too

Deadlift
245#, 265#(pr), 275#(pr)
pretty happy about this too, felt like I could have done more, but had already used up my 3 chances, and 275 had some back rounding

Total
595#
beats my old total by 80#

On one hand, I'm pretty happy with these results. I've definitely gotten stronger. On the other hand I feel like I should have had more progress than I did. It was probably all the program jumping I've done over the last couple months. This next program will last at least 12 weeks, and at the end I'll test my CFT again and see how much more progress I can make.

Chris H Laing
11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
11-16 - week 1

squats
175#x4x5
hard

bench
135#x3x3
got me some 45s on each side!

20-15-10
db push press, 30#
box jumps, 20in
didnt time, somewhere around 3-4 minutes
im so out of shape, couldnt get through the first set of box jumps without stopping

Chris H Laing
11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
11-17

power clean
135#x5x3
pretty easy, nice and snappy

Thats it. When my new program starts going full swing, and I get my kettlebells down to my dorm, I'll do some LCCJ today.

Got some mad DOMS in my traps, thighs, and ass. It might not have been the best idea to go for 4x5 with 175# after a week off.

Brian Stone
11-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Nice work on the CFT - great #'s for your weight.

Chris H Laing
11-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks Brian, I'm pretty happy with it, but I wont be happy til its close to 5x bodyweight. Something like 2.5xbw deadlift, 1.5xbw squat, bw press, would be cool.

Chris H Laing
11-19-2009, 05:32 PM
11-19

squat
185#x3x3
was supposed to go for 175#x5x5 but my legs were still very sore, I figured lower volume would be easier on them

press
85#x3x5
felt good

There will be a metcon on this day once Im done easing myself into the program.

Chris H Laing
11-20-2009, 06:45 PM
11-20

deadlift
225#x5
was supposed to do 215 but 225 was already on the bar

back ext
3x10
probably gunna cool down with these on power clean and deadlift days

This is going to be my tabata day once I start the program full force.

Chris H Laing
11-23-2009, 03:13 PM
11-23 - week 2

squat
185#x3x4
felt terrible, had some hip pain, didnt warm up enough

bench press
135#x3x5
started off not feeling too hot but finished strong

3 rounds
3 clapping pushups
6 pullups
9 box jumps
1-2 minutes
no watch still, but everything was unbroken, should have gone for another round

Felt weak going into todays workout. Decently happy with how I did considering. I might need a TUBOW because I'm getting some hip pain during squats, and my right hip is sore now.

Chris H Laing
11-24-2009, 09:07 PM
11-24

power clean
140#x5x3
form wasnt perfect but overall felt really good

back ext
3x10

Went to the gymnastics gym for an hour and a half later. Worked on my back flips, also learned punch front, front handspring, and branny/brandy/granny/ganny. Not actually sure what its called but its kinda like a 180 degree front flip. Will be going again on sunday before heading back to school.

Alex Bond
11-25-2009, 12:42 AM
Your lifts are good for your weight, but damn, you need to eat a cheeseburger or 3 and gain some weight. I understand guys who want to stay small for their sport, but glancing through the last pages of your log, it seems like you are focused mostly on overall fitness and not so much worrying about staying under X weight for gymnastics or whatever. Have you considered doing some Starting Strength for a while, with no metcons and 4000 calories a day? Sure, you'd gain a little fat, but you'd gain a ton of muscle, and you'd be squatting in the 300s in no time flat. It seems like you would be healthier at 185# or higher, with lifts to match, and that would carry over in a big way to metcon performance. Food for thought.

Chris H Laing
11-25-2009, 04:50 AM
Your lifts are good for your weight, but damn, you need to eat a cheeseburger or 3 and gain some weight. I understand guys who want to stay small for their sport, but glancing through the last pages of your log, it seems like you are focused mostly on overall fitness and not so much worrying about staying under X weight for gymnastics or whatever. Have you considered doing some Starting Strength for a while, with no metcons and 4000 calories a day? Sure, you'd gain a little fat, but you'd gain a ton of muscle, and you'd be squatting in the 300s in no time flat. It seems like you would be healthier at 185# or higher, with lifts to match, and that would carry over in a big way to metcon performance. Food for thought.

I've actually started training for competitive paintball again, which requires a kind of small build to fit behind the smaller bunkers on the field. That being said I would love to gain maybe 15 pounds and be at a nice, square 160.

I'm working on the diet aspect, but being in college doesnt lend itself to eating a lot of food. The food in our Commons is somewhere close to third worst in America, and you shit it out within 15 minutes of eating it, earning it the nickname "The Moans". It does keep you regular though...

Regarding SS, I've tried it and I didn't like it. I think it might be too intense for me. I've been through two SS cycles, the first one stalling out at 170# on my squat and the second one stalling out at 180#. Tomorrow I'll be doing 185# for 3x5 which will be a new PR, and I expect it to be pretty easy if I can keep my form together.

Another reason SS isn't for me is because it isnt fun. When I was doing SS I dreading going into the weight room. I'm not a professional athlete, nor am I ever going to be one, so I see no reason for me to do a training program that I hate. For me, it more about having fun and looking good naked.

Chris H Laing
11-28-2009, 01:09 PM
11-27

squat
185#x3x5
sucked the life out of me, but this is a 5# pr from my last SS cycle when I was 10 lbs heavier

press
85#x5x5
felt decent

3 rounds
10 pullups
10 burpees
10 box jumps, 20in
a big fat DNF
had to run to the bathroom after the pullups in the last rounds, on the verge of puking

I think I'll have to take the metcon out of my squat days because I get so fatigued after squatting.

Chris H Laing
11-30-2009, 08:15 AM
11-29

Went back to the gymnastics gym. Didn't have much fun today though. The coach was too controlling and only wanted to work back flip technique. I just wanted to have fun and screw around with flips and stuff. Then he made me do a conditioning circuit.

3 rounds
25 pushups
25 archups
25 crunches

I destroyed this, to spite the coach.

Chris H Laing
12-01-2009, 06:07 AM
11-30 - week 3

squat
185#x4x5
fucking hard, wasnt sitting back enough in my squat, most of these were good mornings

bench
135#x4x5
not bad

Chris H Laing
12-01-2009, 03:54 PM
12-1

power clean
145#x6x2

back ext
+10#x3x10

15-12-9
db swings, 55#
20in box jumps

Chris H Laing
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Moved my log to the SS forums (http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?p=82451#post82451).

Edit: Moving log back here.

Chris H Laing
01-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Been on a CFWF cycle for the last 2 months. Made some decent gains in strength in the squat, but that's about it. I've also added a decent amount of bodyfat which I'm not too happy about. Now I want to return to a more inclusive type of fitness. I wanna keep getting stronger, but I also wanna be able to play football and ultimate with my friends without gassing in the first 10 minutes.

I'm still going to be using the CFWF template, but adding slightly more conditioning work, and taking it easier on the strength increases. I think I'll go back to 3x3=>5x5. That seemed to be working well, while still allowing me to go out and have fun a couple nights a week.

I'm going to be getting my diet back in order as well. I'm not going to zone, but I am gunna use block measurements to help me figure out how I'm eating. Gunna try high protein, low carb, high fat, plus milk. Something like 20P-14C-50F. I'll tweak it as needed as I go.

As for workouts, the plan right now is:
Mon - PC, P, chins
Tues - BS, wod
Thurs - PSn, BP, wod
Fri - DL, tabata*

*tabata is 6 rounds for pullups, pushups, and maybe squats if I feel up to it

Today's workout was a complete and utter failure, due to reasons that I don't wanna discuss.

1-4

squat
205#x5,x3f,x4f
had some major hip shooting, wasn't keeping knees out, basically these were shit

bench
145#x4f,x4f,x3f
again, shit

chins
12, 8, 5
decent, but I didnt eat enough all last week

Not happy with myself today. Both the bench and the squat should have been relatively easy.

Chris H Laing
01-10-2010, 11:39 AM
1-10

Been resting since my last workout. Haven't been doing GOMAD, but I've still been drinking a fair amount of milk. Bodyweight is down from 160# to 152-153#. I want to get it back up to around 160-165, but I want to be lean at that weight. I'll probably try for some slow weight gain now.

Today I went to the gymnastics facility. My back tucks have never felt so good. I did a couple of shitty back handsprings, and then started working on a round off back tuck. Got close on a couple attempts but I kept freaking out in the air. I'll get it the next time I come home, in four or five months.

Starting my new cycle up tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
1-11

power clean
135#x5x3
felt good, very quick

press
85#x5x5
not very hard

chins
12, 8, 7

Good first day back in the gym. Squats and metcon tomorrow, if I feel up to it. I have a long ride back to school tomorrow morning.

Chris H Laing
01-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Didn't end up getting to squats on Tuesday.

1-14

power snatch
95#x5x3
pretty good, wrists need to adjust to the movement

bench
135#x5x5
got easier as the sets went on

50 burpees for time
3:48
disappointed, wanted sub 3:30

Chris H Laing
01-16-2010, 04:37 PM
1-15

deadlift
225#x5

back ext
+25#x3x10

tabata pullups
15-9-6-5-5-5
tabata pushups
21-11-5-4-4-4
[pushups continue to suck, pullups are getting better

Chris H Laing
01-19-2010, 09:12 AM
1-18

power clean
145#x5x3
form suffered on the last sets, do this again next week

press
95#x3x3
not too bad

chins
11, 5, 4
huge drop in chins, but I have gained almost 6 pounds since being back at school

Chris H Laing
01-19-2010, 08:53 PM
1-19

squat
195#x3x3
not too hard, need to focus on chest up

3 rounds
5 front squats, 95#
10 db swings, 55#
2:31
liked this one a lot

Chris H Laing
01-21-2010, 09:10 PM
1-21

power snatch
100#x5x3
felt slow, hands still hurting during

bench
145#x3x3
pretty easy

3 rounds
10 db push press, 35#
10 k2e
3:28
k2e were slow, push presses were easy

Chris H Laing
01-23-2010, 04:42 PM
1-22

deadlift
235#x5
easy, mixed grip

back ext
+25#x3x10

tabata pullups
15-7-8-5-7-6
tabata pushups
22-11-6-6-5-6
wasnt breathing nearly as hard after these, i think my conditioning is starting to come back

1-23
swimming
20 min
swam laps for maybe 10 minutes, then mostly just messed around in the water, did flips off the deck, ect

Chris H Laing
01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
1-25

power clean
150#x5x3
form fell apart, debating whether to move up next week or stay here

press
95#x3x4
easy peasy

chins
12, 8, 5
much better than last time

So, members of the board, I need some advice. My cleans felt slow today, and my from kinda fell apart. I am trying to decide whether or not to move up in weight next week.

On the one hand, I am pretty confident that I could hit all reps at 155#, but on the other hand I know none of the reps will be pretty. Any thoughts?

Chris H Laing
01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
1-26

squat
200#x3x3
pretty easy actually, used a belt for the first time

5 min:
3 thrusters, 95#
6 lunges
9 ghd situps
[B]4 rounds, 3 thrust + 6 lunges + 6 situps[/B
ripped another pair of boxers during the second to last round of thrusters

Just took my shirt off for my shower and notice that I have some bruises on my side from the belt. Anyone know if this is normal for first time use?

Chris H Laing
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
1-28

power snatch
102.5#x5x3(f)
got it up twice, missed the third because the shoulder hurt too much, no more snatches for me for a while

bench
145#x3x4
didnt feel as good as last week

curls
65#x3x5
yes...curls are going to be my pull movement on bench days since im taking power snatches out

15-12-9
dips
supine towel rows
4:14
conditioning wasn't an issue here, muscular endurance was

Regarding snatches: my right shoulder has been hurting for the past week any time i extend my arm in a front or lateral raise type motion. today, during snatches, I felt the same shoulder pain on my first warm up set, and then again during the work sets.

I think its related to having to lower the bar instead of being able to just drop it, so snatches are out for now.

Chris H Laing
01-29-2010, 05:01 AM
I am definitely under recovered. I woke up four times last night, each about 1.5 hours from each other. My throat hurts this morning and I'm sore. I'm almost positive it has to do with the fact that I've had maybe one meal for the last couple days, so I'm up early today to head to the Moans and drink a half gallon of milk before class.

Chris H Laing
01-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Despite feeling shitty this morning, I actually had a decent workout.

1-29

deadlift
245#x5
easy, mixed grip

back ext
+25#x3x10
felt good

tabata pullups
16-11-7-7-6-6
big improvement over last time

tabata pushups
24-10-8-5-4-5
about the same as last week

Chris H Laing
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
2-1 - easy week

power clean
95#x5x3
nice, light, and explosive

press
75#x3x5
easy, cleaned to the rack

chins
did these slow, felt good

This week will be a low intensity week because I think I'm starting to get sick. Next week I plan to hit it hard again for 3 more weeks, and then probably another est week.

Chris H Laing
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
2-2

squat
135#x3x5
focused on elbows up and keeping everything tight

3 rounds
5 front squats, 95#
10 box jumps, 20in
no time, just went through the movements

Chris H Laing
02-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Was supposed to hit up the gym today, but got snowed in. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get to the gym and put my workouts together. Shouldn't be too much to recover from since its all light weights and no intense conditioning.

Cant wait til next week when I start my mass gain phase. Its gunna be bodybuilder-ish, but based on 531 so I'll still get stronger.

Chris H Laing
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Starting my 531-esque program.

2-8

press
75x5
85x5
100#x7
never pressed over 100# for reps before so this was a present surprise

chins
12, 9, 6
improvement in the later sets

incline db press
40#x3x10

curls
45#x3x10

Chris H Laing
02-10-2010, 06:46 AM
2-9

power clean
135#x10x1
didnt warm up enough, felt sloppy

deadlift
185x5
210x5
235#x5
not bad, mixed grip

ghd situp
3x10

back ext
+25#x3x10

Had to rush the ghd situps and back ext because a friend injured himself in the gym. His foot slipped off the leg press machine and the sled crashed into his shin. Luckily its just a hairline fracture and not a complete break.

Chris H Laing
02-11-2010, 08:50 PM
2-11

bench
110x5
125x5
140#x9
last rep was an epic struggle

db press
25#x3x10
never pressed with dbs before, feels interesting

dips
3x10
triceps were fried

db rows
55#x3x10

My arms were SWOLE after this one. Happy about the bench press though.

Chris H Laing
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
2-15

press
80x3
90x3
105#x4

chins
13, 9, 6
felt good today

incline db press
40#x3x10

curls
45#x3x10

Chris H Laing
02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
2-16

power clean
145#x3x3
i like this better than 10 singles

deadlift
185x3
225x3
255#x3

k2e
3x10

back ext
+25#x3x10

Didn't have my lifting shoes today, so I'll probably do the cleans again next week. The deadlifts were supposed to go 190-220-250# but I didn't bring my sheet with me so I just guessed and got surprisingly close.

Chris H Laing
02-18-2010, 01:44 PM
2-18

bench
115x3
135x3
150#x7
never benched 150# before, happy with 7th rep even though it took about 30 seconds

db press
25#x10
30#x2x10
25# was too easy so i moved up to 30#

dips
3x10
still fucking hard after bench and db press

one arm db rows
55#x3x10

Chris H Laing
02-22-2010, 01:36 PM
missed my friday workout again, I'll make sure to hit it this week

2-22

press
85x5
100x3
110#x3
i had some pretty excessive lean on these

chins
12, 7, 5
i'm not really seeing progress on these, thinking about switching to weighted

db incline press
45#x2x10, 1x9f
40#x1x9f
i tried to make up for failing the last set on 45# by doing another set at 40# but failed that one too...

thick bar curls
45#x3x10
i did these with a bar thats thicker than the average oly bar, but not as thick as the fat bar at my old gym, i feel like this will help my grip more

Chris H Laing
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
2-24

power clean
145#x3x3
felt good

deadlift
210x5
235x3
260#x5
big pr, think i could have gotten one more but it would have been ugly and might have hurt

k2e
3x10

back ext
+25#x3x10

Decided to start doing amrap on the deadlifts to add some thickness to my back. I'm already feeling the fatigue though. I'm gunna sleep like a baby tonight.

Chris H Laing
02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
2-25

bench
125x5
140x3
155#x5
weighed in at 157# today with shoes on, so this is about bw for 5, last rep was ugly but im pretty happy

db press
30#x3x10
pretty easy

dips
3x10
not as hard as last week

oadb row
55#x3x10

Chris H Laing
03-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Fuck everything I said in this post.

Chris H Laing
03-06-2010, 05:46 AM
So...after a drive starting yesterday at 1 in the afternoon and ending this morning at 7, I feel like shit. I was just driving for around 17 hours straight, on an empty stomach, so I had LOTS of caffeine. I'm twitching a little now, and my stomach is still empty. I'll be taking a shower and going straight to sleep, probably til tomorrow, when I will start my sprint training with a beach session.

Chris H Laing
03-06-2010, 08:18 PM
3-6

10 reps of:
external rotation each arm
lateral raise each arm
overhead circles
cross circles
BL circles

This is gunna be part of my warmup from now on for my shoulders before lifting days. Still havent found my warmup on sprinting days...

Chris H Laing
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
3-7

Forgot to do the shoulder warmup...off to a great start with that hah.

DB clean and push press
30#x3
40#x3
45#x3
50#x3
I actually like these, although the last set cleans were kinda ugly

DB bench
50#x5x5

Pullups
+10#x3x3
feel like I've lost a lot of strength on these because I used to be able to do a set of 5 at 35# when I weighed 135

Farmers walk
70#x3x25m
enjoyed these a lot

Had to do this workout in the hotel gym, which is pretty much just a dumbell rack and a smith machine. Used the smith machine for my pullups, and the dbs for everything else. I might have to start including farmers walks in my workouts, theyre pretty fun.

Chris H Laing
03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
So I'm not going to be working out for a while now. Maybe as much as a week. I went on a fishing trip yesterday, spent maybe 6 hours in the direct sunlight and I am burnt to a crisp. Moving any body part is extremely painful, so I figure working out isnt the best thing for me right now.

I'm off the the drug store to get some aloe vera for the burn and some ibuprofen for the pain.

Chris H Laing
03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
week 1 day 1

1) push press
95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 125x5, 135#x3(f)
almost lost the 3rd rep at 135# so I decided against going for more, too much for my first day back in 2 weeks I guess...

2) muscle up rows
5, 5, 3
rings about neck height, feet on a bench

3a) ring dips
7, 7, 3
3b) oadb rows, 60#
7, 7, 5
strength in ring dips dropped dramatically between the 2nd and 3rd set, tried to keep rows even with dips but I felt that 3 reps was too little for the rows

4) 300m heavy bag zercher carry
4 breaks
these are fucking tough, but I like 'em

5) jump rope intervals
:30 on / 1:00 off
wanted to do 30/30 but had two friends who wanted to join so it worked out better this way, also probably better not to push myself too hard my first day back

I feel great after this workout! Also, I almost got my first deadhang muscle up ever before moving on the the muscle up rows. I can do them kipping, but I'd rather get the big boys muscle up.

Chris H Laing
03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
week 1 day 2

1) snatch singles
95, 95, 105, 105, 105, 105#
95 was easy, 105 wasnt, I hate the snatch

2) deadlift
245#x5
I think I did too many warmup sets because this was harder than it should have been

3) db lunges
35#x3x6
held the dbs at my sides, harder than I thought they would be

4a) hip ext + ghr
10, 10, 10
4b) k2e
10, 10, 10

I was gunna try to do some prowler type sprint work but I was too tired after everything else. My ass is gunna be sore tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
week 1 day 3

1) bench
110x5
125x5
140x9
same number of reps as last time, but this wasnt nearly as hard, not bad for 2 weeks off

2a) ring pushups
15, 10, 7, 6
2b) mixed grip pullups
10, 7, 5, 4
put two 45# bumper plates under my feet to make them even with the rings, alternated which hand was pronated and supinated each set in pullups

3) db get-ups
35#x5x3 each side
so much harder than I thought they were gunna be, fun though

4) 5 burpees + 50m sprint x 5
only rest was walking back to the start, hard stuff

I decided not to increase the weight on any of the main 531 lifts since its been two weeks since I last lifted and I'm throwing a lot more stuff at myself than I was before. Did the sprints with a friend, good times.

Chris H Laing
03-19-2010, 01:23 PM
week 1 day 4

1) single DB clean and jerk
50#x5x3 each side
not hard to start, felt heavy during the last set

2) squat
140x5
160x5
185#x5
fuck squats

3) ghr
+10#x3x8
felt some mad cramps in my hamstrings

4a) dumbell swings
35#x3x20
4b) ab wheel rollouts
3x10

Skipped conditioning again today. Bodyweight is down to 154.6# which is not suitable. I wanna be bac around 160#.

I'm pretty sure I'm losing weight because I increased the volume of my workouts so much and made my diet healthier at the same time, so I'm gunna start reintroducing whole milk, starting right now with a couple glasses for PWO.

Chris H Laing
03-22-2010, 01:38 PM
week 2 day 1

1) press
80x3
90x3
105#x5
one more rep than last time, pretty happy

2) muscle up rows
5x3
feet on bench, hung with extended elbows in false grip for a second or two between each rep

3a) ring dips
8, 5, 3
3b) kipping weighed pullups, 15#
13, 7, 7
ring dips are still not where I want them at all, kipping weighted pullups were kinda fun

4) hill sprints x 10
pretty steep hill, maybe a 40* incline

Chris H Laing
03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
week 2 day 2

1) clean and jerk
135#x4x1
full squat clean and split jerk, havent ever really done these but theyre pretty fun, 135# wasnt very hard but I didnt wanna push it too hard the first time trying these

2) deadlift
190x3
220x3
250#x4
gunna have to get used to deadlifting after heavy clean and jerks

3) walking lunge
50#x3x16 steps
50# db in rack position

4a) ghr
3x10
4b) hlr
3x5

No conditioning again. I think I'm gunna only do conditioning on press and bench days for the first month or two on this program so I dont burn myself out.

Chris H Laing
03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
week 2 day 3

1) bench
115x3
135x3
150#x4
pissed, fucked up my form on the last set and touched my chest too high and it fucked up the whole fucking set, fuck

2a) supine rows
12, 10, 8
2b) single db press, 30#
12, 10, 8 each side
feet and hands at same height on rows, chest to bar, right arm before left on OA presses

3) windmills
30#x3x6
dont really like these that much...

3.5) bench...again
135#x5
just because I was pissed about earlier, made myself feel better because this was easy

4) jumprope intervals
30 sec on/30 sec off x 6

Wasnt a great workout today. I honestly didnt really like anything I did today that much. I fucked up the bench at the beginning, and everything else was a little to easy and didnt feel like it had a purpose. Meh, just one of those days...

Chris H Laing
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
week 2 day 4

1) single db snatch
50#x5x3

2) squat
150x3
170x3
195#x3

3) rack pulls
225#x3x8

4a) db swings
55#x3x15
4b) k2e
3x10

________

week 3 day 1

1) press
85x5
100x3
110#x3

2a) ring pushups
18, 13, 10
2b) close grip pullups
10, 6, 5

3) kickboard sprints
25m x 5

Chris H Laing
03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
week 3 day 2

1) clean and jerk
135#x6x1

2) deadlift
205x5
235x3
260#x4
could have probably gotten one more, but the fourth rep had some upper back rounding and i decided to call it

3) db lunges
35#x3x6 each leg

4a) ghr
3x10
4b) ghd medicine ball russian twists
15#x3x10

My whole back, from the base of my neck to the top of my ass, is sore. Clean and jerks felt really good today. I also did a legit warm up today, involving rowing, joint mobility, some dynamic flexibility, and lots of air squats.

Chris H Laing
04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
week 3 day 3

1) bench
125x5
140x3
155x4

2a) ring dips
11, 8, 6
2b) 70# oadb rows
11, 8, 6

3) 80# db farmer walk, 3 x max steps

Been discussing linear progression with a lot of people on Rip's site, and I'm thinking I might hit me up some LP for my next cycle. That means I'm gunna have to dial down on the accessory and conditioning work, or maybe eat a lot more. I plan to eat a lot more anyway because today I weighed in at 153, while on Tuesday I weighed in at 158...

Chris H Laing
04-04-2010, 05:54 AM
So an all upper body phase might be called for.

Last night I was showing off my back flip at the movie theater close to my house. I landed really hard on my heel, so hard that it now hurts to put pressure anywhere but the toes of my right foot. The pain wasn't bad last night, but this morning it is excruciating. I still havent gotten out of bed yet. Hopefully this goes away before tomorrow and I cant start with the linear progression.

Chris H Laing
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I still cant put any appreciable amount of weight on my right foot, but it does feel better than it did this morning, so hopefully it is recovering fast. I figure I should be good to go by next week at the latest.

This week, since no time will be spent training, it will be spent getting my diet in order. I'm planning on getting at least 170g of protein daily from real foods, along with a good amount of milk, which should put me around 250g of protein daily. I'm gunna have a salad with most meals, and maybe a lil fruit. Most of the fruit eating will take place during snacks, with copious amounts of peanut butter, and before and after workouts.

If I can get my eating down pat this week, next week when I start training again, everything will come together and be sweet.

Chris H Laing
04-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Foot is continually feeling better and better. I can shift my weight to it but No jogging or running yet, and walking is still a little iffy. That being said, yesterday and today I have spent a good amount of time in the pool and outside with my lacrosse stick. I think it's been doing my foot good to get active and get moving.

Hopefully by the end of the week, like thursday or friday, I'll be able to squat and deadlift, and then its time to start some linear progression.

Chris H Laing
04-08-2010, 09:10 PM
week 0 day 1

1) bench
135#x3x5
easy

2a) ring dips
13, 8, 5
2b) wide grip pullups
11, 7, 4
trying to decide whether I should add weight to my dips and pullups or not...on the one hand I'm consistently above 10 reps, but only on the first set

3) turkish getups
40#x3x3
planned to do 5x5 but had to leave the gym early to get to a concert

Felt good to be back in the gym. We'll see tomorrow if the heel is up to squatting.

Chris H Laing
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
week 0 day 2

1) squat
165#x3x5
heel is still sore and squatting made it only slightly worse

2a) back ext
+25#x3x10
2b) an wheel from knees
3x10

I had planned on doing some one armed db snatches but my heel felt a little off so I decided to quit.

Chris H Laing
04-12-2010, 09:37 PM
week 1 day 1

1) press
85#x3x5
easy

2) muscle up rows
3x5

3a) weighted ring pushups
+25# x 7, 7, 6
3b) close grip pullups
10, 7, 5

Foot is still not better, and if anything is getting worse. I'm going to go to the nurse tomorrow to see what she thinks about walking around on and lifting with my ankle. Hopefully I'll be able to deadlift and clean tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
04-15-2010, 11:18 AM
week 1 day 2

1) bench
137.5#x3x5

2a) ring dips
+5#x 12, 8, 4
2b) oadb row
70#x 12, 8, 5 each arm

3) db farmers walks
80#x3x max steps

Farmers walks might have been a bad idea. My heel isnt healed yet, so I'm just gunna go in on my upper body days and keep going with that linear progression until I can squat and power clean and deadlift again.

Chris H Laing
04-20-2010, 07:14 AM
week 2 day 1

1) press
87.5#x3x5

2a) weighted ring pushups
25#x 12, 8, 5
2b) wide grip chins
13, 9, 4

I'm pretty sure the ankle is almost ready to squat and clean on, but I'm gunna give it one more week to make sure I dont hurt it anymore.

Chris H Laing
04-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Heel is finally better, and what better way to celebrate than to start some linear progression on squats!

week 0 day 4

1) squat
165#x 5,5,5

2) oadb snatch
30#x 3
40#x 3
50#x 3,3,3

3a) back ext
+25#x 10,10,10
3b) k2e

I am tired as shit after this, but glad that I finally got back into the gym.

Also, weighed in at 150.8# today, so its time to start eating big again.

Chris H Laing
05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
week 1 day 1

squat
170#x 5,5,5

press
87.5#x 5,5,5

chins
13, 8, 5

Chris H Laing
05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
week 1 day 2

1) power clean
135#x 3,3,3,3,3
i need to get back to these, much harder than it should have been

*) pullups
1 set of 3 after each set of power cleans

I'm dissappointed in my power cleans. They used to be my best lift, but theyre not feeling great right now. Hopefully the snappiness will come back since I'm getting back to lifting.

Chris H Laing
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
week 1 day 3

1) squat
175#x 5,5,5

2) bench
140#x 5,5,5

3) pullups
14, 9, 6

Chris H Laing
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
1) bench
142.5#x 5,5,5

2a) dips
+10# x 12, 9, 7
2b) pullups
11, 7, 5

Next week I'll get back into a full program, and some sledgehammer type conditioning work will be added to this day.

Chris H Laing
05-15-2010, 09:56 AM
1) power clean
140#x 3,3,3

2) deadlift
225#x5

3a) hanging leg raises
10, 10, 10
3b) back ext
+25#x 10,10,10

I'm pooped.

Chris H Laing
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
day 1 week 1

1) oadb push press
40#x 5,5,5 each hand
wanted to do BB push press but couldnt get to the gym so I did what I could

2) muscle ups
10 single attempts
planned on doing kipping outside but its raining, so I did them seated inside, didnt actually get one though

3a) band resisted pushups
red band x 16,13,8
put the band over my back and put my hands on each side to hold it down, arms are dead
3b) close grip chins
dunno where the 16 came from but I'll take it

4) kb swings
1.5pd x 30,10,10
grip was already failing, more kb work is in order

Still trying to figure everything out, in terms of splitting up my workouts between my home and the gym, what kinda things I can do at home, ect. Still a good workout today though.

Chris H Laing
05-18-2010, 08:21 PM
week 1 day 2

1) squat
180#x 5,5,5

2) oadb snatch
worked up to 60#x3 each side

3) db lunges
40#x 12,12,12

Next week there will be some sledgehammer conditioning work today.

Chris H Laing
05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
week 1 day 3

1) oadb bench
50#x 5,5,5 each side

2a) ring dips
8 ,6, 5
2b) close grip pullups
11, 7, 7

This was supposed to happen yesterday, with sprints afterwards, but since I'm power cleaning and deadlifting tomorrow I decided to save my legs for tomorrow. I'll get to the sprints next week though.

Chris H Laing
05-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Had to skip my power clean/deadlift workout this week, because on friday night I was hit with...something. I'm not really sure what it was but friday night and saturday morning I had a 104 fever, which is now down to 101. Hopefully I'll be normal by tomorrow so I can get my push presses in.

Chris H Laing
05-24-2010, 09:16 AM
week 2 day 1

1) push press
95#x3x5

2) kipping muscle ups
5 singles

3) kb juggling
1 pd. x ~10 min

I'm still feeling like ass, but figured working out would help make this illness go away faster, and hopefully make me feel better in the process. I'm off to chug a gallon of milk, since the only thing I've put in my body over the past couple days has been water and acetaminophen.

Chris H Laing
05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I took a rest day today. I didn't wanna push myself with another workout while I'm still trying to get better, and decided I would be better off resting and eating a lot. So I did.

Chris H Laing
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
week 2 day 2

1) power clean
145#x3x3
very tiring, later reps were slowww

2)deadlift
235#x5
way harder than it should have been

Was rushed today so thats it.

And I'm thinking I'm having a serious problem trying to power clean and deadlift right after. I'm off to think of a solution.

Chris H Laing
05-29-2010, 11:01 AM
week 3 day 1

1) push press
105#x3x5
easy

2) kipping muscle ups
9 singles
was going for 10, missed the last one

3a) clapping pushups
20, 12, 9
3b) wide grip chins
11, 8, 6

4) 2 rounds:
10 kb snatches r/l
10 kb cleans r/l
10 kb swings r/l
1 min rest
used 1 pd, kicked my ass, I'm so out of shape

Chris H Laing
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
week 3 day 2

1) front squat
135#x5x3
the squat rack at my gym is broken so I cleaned these up

2) db lunges
40#x3x6 each leg

3) complex:
straight leg deadlift
bent over row
power clean
push press
75#x2x8
much harder than I thought it was gunna be, my forearms are pumped up

Time to go eat and look for a job.

Chris H Laing
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
week 3 day 3

1) bench
145#x4(f)
135#x3x5
failed on rep 5 of the first set at 145# so I dropped to 135

2a) dips
+15#x 10, 9, 7
2b) pullups
12, 8, 7

My gym sucks. When I failed on the bench, I kinda just chilled with the bar on my chest for like 30 seconds before anyone offered to help AND the squat rack is broken.

Chris H Laing
06-07-2010, 07:47 PM
w1d1

1) clean and jerk - heavy single
145#
wasnt actually very heavy, but its more than I've done before in the full movement so I left it at that

2) front squat
140#x3x3
all sets were power cleaned, increased weight but dropped volume from last time since I already did c+j

3) push press 5x5
95, 105, 115, 120, 115#
was getting hard to hold the bar overhead by the end, to the bar off the safety bars in the squat rack since the rack is still broken

4a) single db lunges
55#x3x6 each leg
db held in a kinda rack-like position at my chest
4b) overhead db tricep ext
45#x3x12
wanted some tricep assistance because of the push press today and decided to try these out

I'm gunna be sore tomorrow. I also think my clean form is becoming a lot better, and now I just need work on my jerk.

Chris H Laing
06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
w1d2

1) single db power snatch
55#x2x3
60#x2x2
65#x3x1

2) deadlift
245#x2x3

3a) weighted dips
+15#x3x8
3b) weighted pullups
+8#x2x8, +5#x8

4a) back ext
3x10
4b) bb curls
45#x3x10

I then proceeded to puke up all the milk I had drank that morning. I'm pretty sure its because the only thing I've had in my stomach over the last 24 hours has been milk. I feel great now, however.

Chris H Laing
06-12-2010, 09:57 AM
w1d3

1) work to max box jump
knee high box + 9 45# plates
these are globo plates, not bumper, height was about at belly button

2) bench
135#x5x3
my bench has gotten weaker, but everything else feels great..

3) bent over row
85#x3x12

4a) weighted pushups
+25#x3x10
4b) hlr
3x10
only to parallel, I'm not flexible enough for toes to bar yet

5) back ext
3x10
did these for recovery more than anything, because from the base of my spine up to my neck is soreee

Chris H Laing
06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
w2d1

1) power clean + squat clean + push jerk
135#x7 singles

2) front squat
145#x3x3

3) push press 5x4
95, 105, 115, 125, 115

4a) db lunges
40#x3x8
used the farmers carry grip this time
4b) pushups
+25#x3x12

Chris H Laing
07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Finally got back in the gym. I'm completely off the roids for the poison ivy and I've started eating again, although Im down to 140#.

I'm not even gunna log todays workout because it was pretty pathetic, but I couldnt even squat 180# for 5 reps (only hit 3) so it feels like its time to go back to SS for a couple months just to get back up to heavier weights. I'm most likely not gunna run it for my full linear progression because I have other goals I wanna work on as well, but I'll run it for probably the month before school starts and a month or two during the first semester.

Weights are gunna start light because Im feeling so weak right now.
squat - 135
bench - 95
press - 65
deadlift - 185
power clean - 105

Will kick off SS this friday with my squat, press, deadlift workout.

Chris H Laing
07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
squat
135#x3x5

press
65#x3x5

deadlift
185#x5

Woo. Feels good to be back in the gym.

Chris H Laing
07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
squat
145#x3x5

bench
105#x3x5

power clean
105#x5x3

Squatted today without my oly shoes and I like it a lot better. I might be giving the oly shoes a break for a while.

Chris H Laing
07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
squat
150#x3x5

press
70#x3x5

deadlift
195#x5

Really getting my squat form down pretty well without my lifting shoes. Maybe I just need less heel on my do wins...

Chris H Laing
07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
squat
155#x3x5

bench
110#x3x5

power clean
110#x5x3

Chris H Laing
08-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Ive been on a cruise for the last 10 days. Only got two workouts in during that time, and all they had was in the boat gym was dumbells up to 50 lbs and a bench.

first workout -
1) db clean
50#x5x5

2) db bench
50#x5x5

3) db row
50#x5x10

second workout -
1) goblet squats
50#x5x10

2) double db swings
40#x5x10

On monday its back to SS, and I'm gunna repeat the squat, press, and deadlift weights.

Chris H Laing
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
squat
155#x3x5

press
70#x3x5

deadlift
195#x5

Nice easy workout today. Good times.

Chris H Laing
08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
squat
160#x3x5

bench
115#x3x5

power clean
115#x5x3

Chris H Laing
08-07-2010, 07:06 PM
squat
165#x3x5

press
75#x3x5

deadlift
205#x5

Chris H Laing
08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
squat
170#x3x5

bench
120#x3x5

power clean
120#x5x3

Chris H Laing
08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
squat
175#x3x5

press
80#x3x5

deadlift
215#x5

Chris H Laing
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
9-13

squat
135#x3x5

press
65#x3x5

power clean115#x5x3

First day back in a while. Lifes been ridiculous lately, and I'm just now getting everything back together. Bodyweight is down to 140 so ima be eating a lot.

Chris H Laing
09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
9-22

squat
135#x3x5

bench
95#x3x5

deadlift
185#x3x5

Fuckkkk im weak right now. Bench wasnt that hard but it wasnt easy either...

Chris H Laing
09-29-2010, 05:16 AM
2-28

squat
145#x3x5

press
70#x3x5

power clean
115#x5x3

Chris H Laing
10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
10-6

1) bench
125#x3x5

2a) dips
17, 9, 6
2b) oadb rows
60# x 10, 10, 10

Im beat, and very out of shape.

Chris H Laing
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
10-18

1) bench
135#x3
holyyy shit im weak

2) incline db bench
40# x 3 x 8

3) oadb rows
60# x 3 x 10

4) bent over rear db flyes
15# x 3 x 12

5) medicine ball oh ghd situps
10# x 3 x 8

started ws4sb today, did some bodybulding type stuff ive never tried before but it was pretty fun, hopefully ill be able to make myself keep going back to the gym on a regular basis now

bw is at 140 again so its time for some gomad and creatine

Chris H Laing
10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
10-20

1) squat
175#x3
not hard but the reps were slow so i stopped there

2) walking db lunges
35# x 2 x 8
made my ass sore

3) gh raises
2x8

4) db farmers walks
65# x 3 x max distance

Chris H Laing
10-26-2010, 01:21 PM
1) bench
135#x3
holyyy shit im still weak

2) incline db bench
40# x 4 x 7

3) oadb rows
65# x 3 x 10

15# x 3 x 15

5) medicine ball oh ghd situps
10# x 3 x 8

Chris H Laing
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
1) squat
185#x3
hard, felt out of the groove, i think i need to do a lot more warmup sets

2) walking db lunges
35# x 3 x 8
i think i pulled something in my right hip on the last set

3) gh raises
2x8

4) btb wrist curls
95# x 3 x 15

Chris H Laing
11-01-2010, 12:28 PM
1) dips
14, 14, 13

2) oh db ext
30#x4x10

3) pullups
3x6, 1x6f

4) db press
25#x3x10

5) curls
45#x3x8

Chris H Laing
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
1) bench
95x5. 110x5, 125#x5

2) incline db press
40#x4x8

3) oadb rows
65#x4x10

20#x3x12

5) medicine ball throw situps
10#x3x15

Chris H Laing
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
1) db bench
40#x18, 13, 8

2) oh db ext
35#x4x10

3) pullups
4x6

4) db shrugs
60#x3x12

5) curls
45#x3x8

Chris H Laing
11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
1) bench
105x5. 120x3, 135#x3

2) incline db press
45#x3x8

3) oadb rows
70#x4x10

20#x3x15

5) medicine ball throw situps
12#x2x15

Chris H Laing
11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
11-17

deadlift
160x5
185x5
210x5

db split squats
35# x 3 x 8 each side

back ext
3x10

db farmers walk
65# x 3 x max

Chris H Laing
12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
11-29

squat
135#x3x5

power clean
95#x5x3

12-1

bench
95#x5
110#x5
125#x9

db bench
50#x2x6
45#x2x6

bb rows
95#x4x10

bent over rear flyes
15#x3x15

Chris H Laing
12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
12-3

squat
145#x3x5

deadlift
185#x5

incline db bench
40# x 15, 8, 6

press
55#x3x8

chin ups
4x6
easy, go 4x7 next time

skull crushers
35#x4x10

db hammer curls
20#x3x10

Chris H Laing
12-08-2010, 07:08 AM
12-6

squat
155#x3x5

power clean
100#x5x3

Chris H Laing
12-10-2010, 07:48 PM
12-8

bench
100#x3
115#x3
130#x6

db bench
45#x4x8

bb rows
95#x4x10

bent over rear flyes
20#x3x15

12-10

squat
165#x3x5
kinda tough, down to 5# increases

deadlift
205#x5

incline db press
17, 9, 6

press
55#x3x9

chins
4x7

skull crushers
35#x4x10

preacher curls
45#x10, 9, 6
failed on second 2 sets

Chris H Laing
12-17-2010, 04:31 PM
12-14

bench
105#x3
120#x3
135#x6

db bench
45#x2x8
40#x8
35#x8
had to move down in weight because i used a new form that is a lot harder

bb rows
95#x4x10

supine rows
4x10

bent over rear flyes
20#x3x15

Chris H Laing
12-19-2010, 08:07 AM
12-18

squat
175#x3x5

...then I got dizzy, went home and puked. Lifting hungover is an awful idea

Chris H Laing
12-19-2010, 04:02 PM
12-19

incline db press
40# x 19, 11, 8

press
55#x3x10

chins
4x7

skull crushers
45#x2x10
35#x2x10

bb curls
45#x10, 10, 10

Chris H Laing
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
12-21

squat
180#x3x5
last reps on the 2nd and 3rd sets were ugly, i might drop to 3x3 next squat workout to try to keep my form together

bench
100#x5
115#x5
130#x5
tired after the squats so I didnt go for more reps on the last set

power clean
110#x5x3

I was feeling really under recovered today, so I decided to skip the accessory work.

Chris H Laing
12-23-2010, 11:55 AM
12-23

squat
185#x3x3
my left ankle is bothering me a little and affecting my bottom position in the squat, also I'm having trouble getting a comfortable rack position

deadlift
215#x5
grip failed completely on the last rep, i might start using straps

Chris H Laing
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
12-27

power clean
135 x 1,1,1,1
145 x 1,1,1,1
155 x 1,1,f
135 x 1,1

bench
135# x 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2

squat
155 x 1
175 x 1
185 x 1,1,1
195 x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Wanted to do squats first, but the only rack was in use, so I did power cleans. Wanted to squat after the cleans but someone else was on the rack so I benched. Then I finally got to squat.

This is a very CnP oriented program that I'm starting, and this first day was really fun and I'm not as tired as I usually am, in spite of lifting heavier weight for more total reps

Chris H Laing
12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
12-28

Played with the ez bar today

did a 15-20 minute circuit thing:
ez bar curls, 8-15 reps with 25-55#
overhead ez bar ext's, 8-15 reps with 25-55#

Basically I just picked the thing up, curls it however many times, then snatched it overhead and did the tricep ext's for the same amount of reps. Didnt rest more than a minute, usually I just switched the plates, got my grip, and went again.

then..

weighted decline situps
25# x 2 x 10

..but I didnt really feel like I was doing any work so I just left.

Probably going to try out the btn push press tomorrow, maybe some light, deep squats, and heavy shrugs or pullups.

Chris H Laing
12-29-2010, 05:20 PM
12-29

worked out at home today, where I dont have a lot of equipment so..

one arm db press
40# x 1,1
50# x f
40# x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

Those reps were for each arm. I was planning on doing singles with my 50# db but, alas, i couldnt get it up with either arm, so I dropped back down to the 40 for triples. I planned on doing 10x3, but almost failed with my left on the 9th set so I ended it there.

pullups
+40# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
+35# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Played with a bunch of different grips on these. Started doing the pullups with my 40# db b/w my legs, but it was starting to pull my leg hair out and hurting the inside of my legs, so I grabbed my dip belt and put my 1 pd kb on it.

Chris H Laing
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
12-30

Went to the gymnastics gym today. Played around with my back flips a lot. I can still do em, but theyre not as pretty and I jump back farther instead of almost straight up. I also did some handstands and rope climbs with no feet. My abs are definitely going to be sore tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
12-31-2010, 11:46 AM
12-31

squats
205# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

wooo over 200 on squats, none of these were particularly hard either, except maybe the last rep

dips
+35# x 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2

meh, i honestly dont like dips that much, they kinda bother my shoulders, but someone else needed to do squats in the rack and I didnt wanna wait to do my push presses

db snatch
50# x 1,1,1
60# x 1,1,1,1,1

I'm pretty sure I used to be able to do these heavier, but these were after squats and dips so I'm pretty happy

Also, I'm really sore in my abs, thighs, and calves from all the back flips last night. I need to get my work capacity back up because I used to be able to do 2 hours of back flips and not be sore at all.

Chris H Laing
01-02-2011, 12:19 PM
1-1

My legs are ridiculously sore. Like crippling soreness. Thighs, calves, hips, hamstrings, everywhere. I can barely walk. Spent 6 hours in a car so no time for even a light workout.

1-2

Soreness is significantly less but I'm still having trouble walking. Spending another couple hours in the car today to visit my other grandparents so no light workout again. I'll just pick it back up heavy tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
1-3

push press
115# x 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2

Ive lost most of my flexibility in my shoulders and wrists and couldnt get in as good position as I used to be able to which made these a lot harder.

front squat
135# x 3,3,3,3,3

I was gunna do light back squats because my legs were so sore, but I did a set of 5 with 135 and decided to do front squats instead. The same flexibility problem I was having with the push presses kept these from being done with very good form.

oadb row
80# x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

I dont know if I really like these for low reps

Chris H Laing
01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
1-4

More backflips!!!

My abs are already very sore.

Also more legless rope climbs

Chris H Laing
01-05-2011, 12:41 PM
1-5

squats
215# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Woo this is an all time PR for anything squat related. Last time I squatted 215 was for a single rep as my one rep max. This time, the first 7 or 8 singles were pretty easy.

bench
135# x 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2

I think I messed my left shoulder up a bit last night trying to do back handsprings, so I didnt push it on the bench today. This was still pretty hard though, so I think I need to bench more frequently if I wanna see any real progress on it.

deadlift
225# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

This was kind of sad to me, because deadlift used to be leaps and bounds ahead of my other lifts. When I squatted the single at 215# i also did a set of 6 at 265# on deadlift. My only consolation is that those lifts were done at 10-15# heavier than I way now.

Chris H Laing
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
1-10

squat
205# x 1
225# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
205# x 1,1,1

on the 8th rep of 225 I lost pretty much all semblance of good form, my hip shots back, my back was parallel to the ground, and I had to good morning the weight to lockout. The struggle lasted a good 5 or 6 seconds and took a lot out of me so I dropped back down to 205 for some of the easiest singles over 200 I've ever done in my life.

bench
105# x 5
120# x 5
135# x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,f

i hate the bench press, I cant figure out how to keep it progressing

power clean
135# x 3,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,1

these were really un-explosive so I did what I could

I think I might switch back to 531 for my bench press, because during 531 is the only time I've ever seen any real bench progress.

Chris H Laing
01-13-2011, 04:44 AM
1-12

power clean
135# x 1
145# x 1,1
155# x 1,1
165# x 1,1,f
155# x 1,1,1,1,1

press
85# x 3
95# x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

Chris H Laing
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
1-13

superset of:
pullups x 10, 10, 8, 5
dips x 10, 10, 8, 5

used various grips on the pullups, rested less than a minute between supersets

the i played with the ez curl bar again...

ez bar curls, 8-15 reps with 25-55#
overhead ez bar ext's, 8-15 reps with 25-55#

I felt like I was gunna throw up after my pullups and dips, and I think it might be because Im taking a protein shake and creatine like 20 mins before going to the gym. I dont think I'm gunna drink creatine before my workout on my light days.

Chris H Laing
01-14-2011, 01:54 PM
1-14

squat
215# x 1
235# x 1,1,1,1
225# x 1,1,1,1,1,1

The 4th rep at 235 was a looooooong struggle, but 235# is the most weight I've ever squatted, and I wasnt as comfortable squatting as last time because I couldnt look in the mirror so I think I was going much deeper than I usually do. I'm still happy though to end at 6 strong reps at 225.

deadlift
225# x 1,1
245# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Did the first couple reps doh, and the rest i alternated which hand was supinated.

Thats all the time I had for today. Tomorrow is probably gunna be pullups and dips and arms again, and maybe some abs.

Chris H Laing
01-15-2011, 01:28 PM
1-15

superset of:
kipping pulluped 3x10
dips 3x10

then did a bunch of variations of db curls with 20# and 25# dbs and supersetted them with one arm oh tri extensions, 10 reps on everything.

Chris H Laing
01-19-2011, 05:05 PM
1-19

squat
225# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

the 7th rep and the 11th rep were awful grinders, and in the 7th rep the bar rolled forward on my shoulder which made it really hard to stand up

press
95# x 3
100# x 3,3,3,3,3,f,3,3,f

the fail on the 6th set was because I rested too long between reps, the fail on the last set was because I was too fatigued

I had wanted to try really heavy rows today but I was tired by the end of this and my friend was ready to leave so I called it quits.

Chris H Laing
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
1-20

supersets:
pullups 3x10
dips 3x10

supersets:
close grip bench 95# 5x6
bb curls 65# 5x6

the i played with the ez curl bar again...

ez bar curls, 8-10 reps with 25-45#
overhead ez bar ext's, 8-10 reps with 25-45#

GOT MY SWOLE OOOOON

Chris H Laing
01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
1-21

bench
105# x 5
120# x 5
135# x 8,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

I felt like I could go forever on the triples, but the gym was about to close and I really wanted to get deadlifts in

deadlift
255# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

alternated mixed grip except for the last two reps, they were both right hand mixed, because I have a problem keeping the bar close to my body with my left hand mixed and I was getting tired

Chris H Laing
01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
1-22

superset:
pullups 3x10
dips 3x10

I feel like I could probably do more for the dips, but the pullups are holding me back

superset:
cgbp 95# x 5x6
bb curls 60# x 5x6

med ball throw ghd sit ups
10# x 4 x 15

Good workout. I'm off to eat.

Chris H Laing
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
1-24

front squat
135# x 1
145# x 1
155# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

I think I might switch to front squats for a while. Im more comfortable with the form on them

press
85# x 3
95# x 3
105# x 2,f,f
95# x 3,3,3,3,3,3,f,3,3,3,3,3,3

I couldnt get the first rep of the second set at 105 off my shoulders, but struggled with it for a good amount of time. Not enough rest b/w the sets is the culprit for the miss at 95#

db farmers walks
80# x 20 steps
100# x 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 steps

I could barely hold the db with my left hand on the first set, so by the 8th set it was getting hard. I dont really like these for lower rep style training though, I think I'll keep them for conditioning.

Chris H Laing
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
1-25

superset:
pullups 3x10
dips 3x10

superset:
seated incline db hammer curls 20# x 10,10,8,8,6,6,4,4,2,2
oh db tri ext 40# x 10,10,8,8,6,6,4,4,2,2

SOOO SWOOOOLLLEEE

also I was extremely hungry all day, so I decided to fitday my foods.

totals were:
calories - 4274
pro - 343g
carb - 409g
fat - 145g

bw today was 153 on a completely full stomach

Cant wait to power clean tomorrow, also gunna bench and maybe front squat heavy again

Chris H Laing
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
1-26

the gym was closed today due to snow so i played with my coc grippers.

guide x 20 each hand
sport x 10
trainer x 5,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

these reps on my left hand werent completely closed, so i decided to do singles instead

sport x 10,10,10
guide x 20,20
white ext bands x 20,20,20,20,20

...at least i did something today

Chris H Laing
01-27-2011, 05:00 PM
1-27

bench
110# x 3
125# x 3
140# x 7,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,f,3

failed on the 7th set because I didnt rest long enough

then the platform was taken with someone doing elizabeth so..

depth jumps off a 18in box onto a _______ box (ill measure it tomorrow)
15-20 singles

power clean
135# x 1,1,1
145# x 1,1,1
155# x 1,1
165# x 1,1,1,1,1,1
155# x 1,1,1,1
135# x 1,1,1

My back is gunna be sore tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
1-28

front squat
135# x 1
145# x 1
155# x 1
165# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Woo, front squat pr

dips
bw x 5
25# x 3
45# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

im not sure how much i got out of these, but they felt strong

deadlift
265# x 1,1,3
I wanted to do 12-15 singles at this weight, but I was getting kicked out of the gym so I went for a set of max reps. I let the bar drift to far away from me on the 4th rep and failed.

I'm probably gunna do deadlifts tomorrow before I do my pullups and dips and arm stuff.

Chris H Laing
01-29-2011, 01:38 PM
1-29

since I didnt get to finish them yesterday...

deadlifts
225# x 1
245# x 1
265# x 1
275# x 1
285# x 1 (pr)
300# x f
295# x 1 (pr)
300# x f
295# x f

I decided to go for a 1rm today, and got a 20# pr. I'm kinda dissappointed that I didnt get 300 though, would have been 2x bw.

then played with the ez curl bar

ez bar curls, 10 reps with 25-55#
overhead ez bar ext's, 10 reps with 25-55#

I did as many sets of 10 as I could at 55#, then dropped to 45#, and did the same thing, and then dropped to 25# and did the same thing.

Chris H Laing
01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
1-31

front squat
170# x 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

form on the last one was spotty, but form on the earlier ones was better than the reps at 165# on friday

press
85# x 3,3
95# x 3,3
100# x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

I came very close to failing a couple of these sets

rows
95# x 3
135# x 3
155# x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

there was a lot of body english on these