PDA

View Full Version : Get Awesome!!! oly and gymnastic log

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chris H Laing
11-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Like it says i wanna get awesome...like really awesome. And nothing would be awesomer than to be able to do a full front lever and snatch bodyweight :cool:

With some help from people on this forum, i've come up with a program to work on oly lifting and gymnastics movements which are what i'm really interested in.
It goes like this:
mon - snatch tech, snatch strength, gymnastic push, gymnastic pull
tues - snatch and c&j tech, metcon
wed - c&j tech, c&j strength, gymnastic pull
thurs - snatch and c&j tech, metcon
fri - rest
sat - snatch, c&j, back squat (this day is a testing day for the oly lifts, and has back squats in for generic strength work because I didn't want to leave BS out completely)
sun - rest

Ill be doing the Boz OHS warmup, and the Burgener warm up before every workout, and will try to get a stretching or foam rolling session in after every workout.

If anyone has any ideas, i'm all ears

The gymnastic pushes are ring dips and hspu and the gymnastic pulls are weighted pullups, invert ecc. 2 hang, and fl prog. pullups.

I'm in the process of making a lot of home exercise equipment, like a medicine ball, a sandbag, and i have dumbells and i'm getting a kettlebell. I'm also getting a few tires for sled drags, box jumps, blah blah. These kinda things are what most of my metcons are gunna involve.

My diet is mostly paleo, with whole milk in the winter for extra calories, and cuz it tastes so good. i'm not worrying about zone because i did it for a while and it sucks...i like being able to eat whenever i want. I'll also be doing IF a couple times a week.

Now onto the workout of the day...

3 rounds for time:
500 m row
15 deadlifts, 155 lbs

time = 11:15

My butt hurt so much after rowing, and i was always light headed going into the deadlifts. The deadliifts were really light, but i still dont have the metcon capacity i had when following crossfit mainsite back, so i was breathing pretty heavily. Did it with my friend on the crew team at my school, and both rowed the first 500 m in 1:45, which is pretty cool since I haven't rowed in months.

Starting the above workout program on monday...pretty excited.

Chris H Laing
11-23-2008, 02:21 PM
No workout today, but i went rock climbing at the local racquet club, which was kind of like a pulling workout...i guess?

Oly lifting starts tomorrow...cant wait!

Also I forgot to mention some of my goals.
They are:
bw c&j --> 1.5x bw c&j
.75x bw snatch --> bw snatch
5 sec front lever
.5 bw weighted pullup --> bw weighted pullup --> OAC
full rom HSPU --> fs HSPU --> fs full rom HSPU

I'd also like to increase my strength in front, back, and overhead squats but I don't really have any certain goals for them at the moment...pretty much just get them stronger cuz theyre all really weak.

Derek Simonds
11-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the training logs. Looks like you have a great idea of what you are doing.

Chris Salvato
11-23-2008, 08:17 PM
gl man and good way to start the log, im am interested in seeing how your programming will work out for you... -- go slow on learning the techs -- u will be happy you did later!

Steven Low
11-23-2008, 10:56 PM
We'll see. I still don't think you're doing to have enough volume... although you're just starting so we'll see how it turns out. If you feel like you can add a bit more after a week or two then I would go for it based on how it looks right now.

Chris Salvato
11-24-2008, 07:07 AM
We'll see. I still don't think you're doing to have enough volume... although you're just starting so we'll see how it turns out. If you feel like you can add a bit more after a week or two then I would go for it based on how it looks right now.

Why do you think the volume is low? I see the O-lifts every work day...which is 5 days a week.

When I first saw it, I was actually thinking less work days because it might be too much...but some of the Oly days seemed lighter.

If anything, some of the Oly volume can be turned down to work on FS and OHS to compensate for the lack of training in these areas so far....but I feel like that is built into these "tech" days.

Maybe a linear progression on OHS and FS would be suitable for a couple of these days a week to start...since the snatch and C&J are so dependent on them.

Steven Low
11-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Because the actual technique and performing the reps are going to depend very heavily on how fast you learn them. Depends on the volume of that as well.

I am still confused why you only want to do approximately one exercise each day but that's up to you.

Chris H Laing
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Derek - thanks for the welcome :)

Maybe a linear progression on OHS and FS would be suitable for a couple of these days a week to start...since the snatch and C&J are so dependent on them.

I was thinking about doing just that. My front squat is super weak and my OHS is almost none existent so they could definitely use some linear progression. The other thing I was thinking about linear progression with was the snatch and clean position deadlifts, because I haven't deadlifted from these positions ever...except for today.

Maybe something like FS and OHS on the associated strength days and go for linear progression, and on sat do a snatch or clean pos. deadlift instead of the back squats to keep the deadlifts in there and to let the legs rest a little bit? Wutchu guys think?

I am still confused why you only want to do approximately one exercise each day but that's up to you.

On the strength days I'm doing 3 exercises, plus the technique work, which is like a (really really light) workout in itself. And on metcon days, I have technique work for both oly lifts, and then a metcon, which could consist of anything, so its hard to tell the volume on those days.

I kinda like the volume of the program currently, even though I've only been doing it for a day, and I feel like I'll make better strength gains from going harder on a few exercises than doing a bunch of 'em at decreased intensity.

And now the first workout of the new program!!!! Wooo!!!!

*15.5 hr fast*

Warmup:
DROM - leg swings, arm swings, trunk twists
Wall HS - 60 sec
Tuck FL - 3 x 10 sec
2x Burgener warmup with empty bar *replaced snatch drop with ohs

Handstand was easy, so was FL, think I might need to use a dowel for the next couple times through the B. warmup because it kinda tweaks my wrists.

Snatch Tech:
3 rounds of:
3 ohs
3 pressing snatch balance
3 heaving snatch balance

Used an empty bar for these. On the heaving snatch balances I was landing on my toes, which screwed up my ohs position. I tried to consciously land on my heels and it worked better, but I think i just need to get more comfortable in the bottom position.

Snatch Strength:
Snatch deadlift
135 x 4 x 2

Not heavy at all, but at 135 my butt started sticking out and making my back more parallel to the floor, so I kept at that weight and worked on keeping a more upright torso. They felt pretty good, but this is the first time I've ever done sets of 2 which seems like it doesn't take long enough...

Also I found I could get into a better starting position (more upright torso and whatnot) when I pushed me knees out to the side before starting the lift. Is this ok, or will it be detrimental in the long run?

Gymnastic push:
Ring dips
+5 x 3 x 5

These were ridiculously easy. I'll be going up to 7.5 or maybe 10 lbs on wednesday.

Gymnastic pull:
Ring pullups
+12.5 x 3 x 5

First set felt easy, but I missed the last rep on the 2nd set, and the fourth rep on the 3rd set. This was weird because I did +10 on friday and it felt super easy...maybe all the deadlifts and rowing in the metcon wore out my back?

So that was the first day, and I gotta say it was fun. Trying new things, like the snatch deadlift, is always interesting.

Chris H Laing
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
*15 hr fast*

Warmup:
DROM
Wall HS - 60 sec
L-sit - 3 x 5 sec
2x B. wamrup with empty bar, subbed ohs --> snatch drop

Handstands were ridiculously easy. L-sits are a lot harder with shoes on. I was pretty disappointed i could hold it for such a short time without it being a max effort. I think i'll work l-sits on metcon days, and fl on strength days. B. warmup was much easier today on the wrists. My OHS felt off though, but my hamstrings were really tight this morning so maybe thats why?

Snatch Technique:
5 sets of:
3 pos sn + 1 ohs
3 pos sn + 1 heaving sn balance
3 pos sn + 1 sn balance

3 pos - high hang, hang, floor

Did power snatches because I have no confidence under the bar yet...

Sort of fixed the problem with landing on my toes today during the sn balances. Suspiciously it happened more during the heaving sn balances than the regular sn balances.

I also noticed a severe problem with my snatch when pulling from anywhere below the knees. I tend to bounce the bar off my hips when I pull then back under to start the second pull...it causes a lot of landings on my toes, which might have been one of the reasons my ohs felt so wacky today.

I also need to shrug harder...like a lot harder.

Clean & jerk technique:
5 sets of:
3 pos clean + 1 push press
3 pos clean + 1 push jerk
3 pos clean + 1 split jerk

Did these with squat cleans because I'm way more comfortable with that than full squat snatches.

However the same problem I had with pulling from below the knee in the snatch seems to be much worse in the clean. I think its because I try to keep my back as upright as possible, which makes me have to move the bar around my knees or something...not really sure. I'll try to video tape it next time so I can see wuts going on.

Also on the squat cleans, I can't seem to land my feet in the same spot twice in a row. Not really sure what to do about this, other than consciously move my feet where I want them to be. I'll be focusing more on the footing in the b. warmup from now on.

*all technique is with an empty 45 lb bar unless otherwise noted

Metcon...sort of...
8 rounds for time:
25 m swim
~1:30 min rest

First time I've swam hard in the pool since summer ended, and it was pretty fun. I would have liked to do more, but I had previous obligations to attend to that cut my time in the gym short.

Couldn't time them because I lost my waterproof watch, but I would guess they were anywhere between 15 and 20 sec, because I can pretty consistently get 11 sec when I have jammers on and start from a dive, but these were done in my lacrosse shorts and started from in the water.

Fun day. I love working the only lifts, but by the last set of 3 pos cleans, my grip was so gone I had to stop in between each, with the bar resting in the fold on my hip with me bent over it to keep it from falling while I shook out my aching forearms. I think this might not be the best way to work on form and technique, so I might do a little less of each when I do them both in the same day.

I also need to get my shrug hard and my landing position consistent.

Chris H Laing
11-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Helped a friend of the family move today...for six hours...lifting heavy and awkward boxes. Went to workout immediately after.

Warmup:
DROM
wall hs - 60 sec
tuck fl - 3 x 10 sec
2 x b warmup *ohs for snatch drops

Clean & Jerk tech
5 sets of:
3 hang squat cleans
3 front squats
3 split jerks

I think i finally found the position my feet need to be in for the front squat, which is kinda cool. Also, I have horrible midline stabilization because my lower back gets during fs even with an empty bar.

Clean strength:
Front Squat
65 x 3 x 5

This is pathetic. This is what really showed me I have horrible midline stabilization, because i worked my way up to 105 for a set of 5, but my elbows dropped like crazy, so I dropped down to 85, still had some elbow drop, so I dropped to 65. I didn't feel it in my legs, just in my lower back, which got extremely tight during all the sets.

Jerk strength:
Push Press
75 x 4 x 4

This was pretty easy, which is sad because someones push press shouldn't be higher than their front squat. I think i have a little bit of forward lean as I fatigue a little, but trying to hold the totally upright torso made my lower back tight also, which I think is due to the moving and the fs.

Didn't do weighted pull ups today because it was late when I finally got to the gym and i wanted to get home. Plus my back got a lot of work moving all those boxes and tv's and bookshelves.

Gunna try to get some linear progression for front squats, and overhead squats, because if my front squat is that low, theres no telling how weak my ohs is...

Chris Salvato
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Could be foot position, in ur OHS, too..

Make sure you can get to a vertical (or near vertical) torso while doing unweighted squats at the bottom of your ROM. If not, then your knees will be too far back and you will need to lose back angle to keep the COM over your midfoot...that becomes much more pronounced in the OHS.

Chris H Laing
11-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Chris - thanks for the tip. Due to my anthropology i dont think it'll be possible for me to ever get a vertical torso...i'm working on it though.

Thursday - No oly lifting technique because I was at my grandma's house for thanksgiving. Went into the back yard though and did:
For time:
100 burpees

Time = 10:56

Not a good time at all, my metcon still sucks. My hips cracked a lot when i was doing burpees too. Maybe cuz they were too tight?

Today - rest day

Visited my baby cousins today after leaving my grandma's and we were running around and stuff and I stepped in a hole and i think I pulled my left hip. It also might be due to my lack of stretching and foam rolling, so ima start that up again.
I cant bring it up to anywhere near parallel when standing up because it hurts to much.

We'll see how it feels tomorrow, because tomorrow i wanna try to do my first full snatch and clean and jerk. Going for 65 on the snatch baby!!! Yea!!!

Chris H Laing
11-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Definitely no workout today. The hip is super sore, and noticeably inflamed today. I'll give it a couple more days to see if it makes itself better, and then I'll start looking for a solution.

I'm thinking, if this hip thing doesn't clear up for a while, that ima do the three week muscle up program (http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/muscleup.htm) (wfs) because I still don't have a muscle up.

If the leg does feel better soon, I definitely wanna continue with oly lifting, but maybe instead of gymnastics pull, gymnastics push on snatch days, I'll work on false grip pullups pulled super high, super deep higher rep ring dips, and on the gymnastic pull on the clean & jerk day, I would work muscle up rows or negatives to build strength in the transition.

Also, I'm getting a food dehydrator today so I can start making my own jerky!!! Woo!!!

Chris H Laing
11-30-2008, 09:03 AM
rest day

Hip is still a bit iffy, but its feeling better. Its still up in the air whether or not i'll be doing any squatting tomorrow, but i'm guessing probably not so I'll probably do a lot of upper body gymnastic stuff, maybe play around with some rings routines or something. I'll also be working towards that muscle up as that has become a major goal of mine over the last couple days.

In other news i didnt get a food dehydrator yesterday because walmart doesn't carry them in stores...only online. But I did get to experiment with some recipes from the PMenu. Last night I made shredded chicken and pesto, which was delicious, and extremely calorie dense, so I'll probably be making it a lot with different variations because it makes four servings at around 900 calories each, easy easy eating during and IF window.

Tonight I'll be making some portabella burgers, with ground buffalo, which I am looking forward to also.

I think i need to start measuring my protein because I do not think I am getting enough. Ideally I'd like at least 150 g a day, but I seem to be getting around 110 when i do my calculations. Something to be fixed...

So i entered all my foods and whatnot of the day into fitday, and found that I ate just over 150 g of protein, and had about 2500 calories overall. The cool thing is that my ration was 26% protein, 19% carbs, and 55% fat, which is extremely close to the athletes zone of 25, 15, 60 without measuring my food...pretty cool. And it was all paleo side from a couple glasses of whole milk.

Chris H Laing
12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
*16 hr fast*

Still waiting for my hip to heal, so no workout today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get to the gym. If I can, I'll be starting linear progression for ohs and fs, replacing the back squats on test day with a clean or snatch grip deadlift.

Also, I'll start working towards a muscle up with false grip pullups, muscle up negs, and rowing muscle ups.

Chris H Laing
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Finally got back to the gym today, although my left hip and knee were still bothering me.

*16 hr fast*

Warm up
2 x 100 jump ropes (working towards double unders eventually)
60 sec HS - easy, gunna start doing stomach to wall
tuck FL - 30 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec
DROM - trunk twists, leg swings, arm swings, dislocates, halos
2x b warmup with dowel

During the b warmup my ohs felt off-er than usual...I was having a hard time sitting straight down instead of back. I think SS messed me up in this aspect, because I rely almost solely on my hamstrings when doing squats and deadlifts, instead of the quads, but I'm working on it. also my ankle flexibility sucks, especially in my left foot.

Snatch Tech -
just played around with snatch drop, and tried some high hang full snatches with the dowel. I cant seem to get into a good ohs position from a full snatch, as I always land with my feet too wide and my toes pointed way out.

OHS - starting linear progression
55 x 3 x 5

Wasn't hard on the legs at all, which is good cuz my hip is still a bit tender. My wrists felt a bit twinged after the sets but it soon went away. My problem with ohs and fs is that i sit to far back, which makes my torso much less vertical, and it felt like if I had had any substantial weight on the bar I might have lost some of these forward. A couple felt really good in the hole, and the rest not so much.

For the next couple weeks I'll be stretching the crap outta my ankles, because my limited ankle flexibility is really making it hard for me to keep a vertical torso.

False grip pullups
tried to do 3 x 5 but I cant hold the false grip for more than a couple reps, although it makes it easier to pull your chest to the rings, so it looked something like:
2, 3, rest 3, 2, rest, 2, 2, 1

pathetic...

Ring dips
going for some more endurance in these, and I think I started to high...
went for 3 x 7 but had to break the last set into 5, 2. I think next time i'll go 3x5 or even 3x3 and work on getting super duper deep in the dip.

I felt great at the beginning of this workout, but overall it was pretty disappointing. My ohs sucks, my false grip sucks, and my ring dips suck. Hopefully thursday will be better...

Chris H Laing
12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Warm up:
2 x 100 jumprope
Played on the bonzai board or whatever its called, had one hold that was like 1:05

Metcon:
10 rounds for time:
10 35# dumbell swings, overhead
10 pullups

Time - 16:40

This one destroyed my hands. I have two blood blisters on my left hand and one on my right, which is more than i've ever had in my entire life. And they formed after the calluses over them were ripped off.

First time in a couple months that i've done high rep pullups...i forgot how good they hurt. First two sets were unbroken, and the ones up til round 7 were all 5, 5. Afterwards I just got up on the bar and did as many as i could then drop off. All db swings unbroken.

Finished the first 6 rounds, plus 10 db swings, in around 8 min. and then I hit the wall.

Overall really good day. Felt great to make myself this tired again. I LOVE METCON!!!

Also, i'm taking a new approach to skill training for the oly lifts. Ill be using the WCC vids, and using their progressions.

Oly Tech:
Didn't really do any skill work, but I found my pulling stance and proper grip. Turns out I was starting with my feet too narrow and that I was holding the bar too wide. Interesting stuff...

Also I popped one of the blood blisters in my left hand and got blood on my pvc.

Then I proceeded to stretch the sh!t outta my ankles. My left ankle got slightly looser from the one session, but its not back to how it was. I wasn't really expecting to gain any flexibility from just one thing but it was pretty cool to see my knee go farther out over my foot.

Chris H Laing
12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
*16 hr fast*

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes with dynamic ankle stretches in between sets
tuck FL hold - 45 sec, 15 sec
DROM
...forgot the b warmup

Clean strength:
Front squat
75 x 3 x 5

Still really easy, but my inflexible ankles are keeping me from a good position. I filmed myself today, and ima try to get it up soon so i can get some peoples opinions.

Jerk strength:
Push Jerk
80 x 4 x 4

Pretty easy. Focused on keeping an upright back and not bending over at the waist at all. On one rep i was focused so hard that i smacked myself in the chin. People laughed...

Gymnastic pull:
Weighted ring pullups (last time for these, sadly...)
+10 x 3 x 5

Some dick who works at the gym i go to came in in the middle of my second set, didnt even let me finish, and told me i had to take my rings down or get kicked out of the gym. Such bullshit...I left without finishing the pullups cuz i was pissed. So that takes away all chances i had to work on the muscle up. Guess ill have to start working on HSPU and bar pullups.

If anyone reads this, which pullup on a bar is more like a OAC?

C&J tech:
Watch WCC movie on C&J

Chris H Laing
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
*16 hr fast*

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ ankle stretches in between
60 sec wall hs
2:00 total balance time on bonzai board

Metcon:
5 rounds for time:
50 lb dumbell lunges, 10 reps
50 lb dumbell swings, 15 reps, russian

Time = 7:00

Felt good. The goal was 10 min, so I beat it which is good news. All reps were unbroken, but i took breaks between sets. My back was super tight for all sets, and I lost my balance a couple times.

Gunna try a new approach to oly technique training. Gunna integrate the different sections of the learning process into short technique workouts. Well see how it goes after a while.

Chris H Laing
12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Rest day

Played some football in the snow (it snowed here!!). Cold but fun. Also today was kind of a cheat day i guess, cuz i had some foods i wouldn't normally eat, but whatever, it keeps me from going insane.

Need to start my oly technique work again, cuz its been lacking lately. I'm working on putting together some workouts based on the skill progressions taught in the WCC videos.

Hopefully i'll be able to progress to the full lifts in a couple months, and with linear progression going on through the months, i'll hopefully have a respectable base strength.

Chris H Laing
12-08-2008, 12:58 PM
*14 hr fast*

Went to Einsteins during third period today and had some really greasy eggwiches that made me feel weird for the rest of the day...

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ dynamic ankle stretches
Wall HS - 60 sec
Tuck FL - 60 sec...might have counted a lil fast at the end though
DROM - leg swings, hip twists, shoulder circles, more ankle

Snatch Tech:
5 sets of - 5 explosion point to max extension point, slow, pause at max ext point
3 max ext point to pull under, slow

Then messed around with exp point to pull under, but i wasn't getting to max extension before starting the pull under so i stopped.

Snatch Strength:
OHS
65 x 3 x 5

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of OHS. I lost some warmup reps to the front, but once i started consciously pushing my knees as far forward as they could go, i started hitting a really solid bottom position. I guess ankle stretching is working.

Pull:
C2B Chinups
3 x 5

These were really easy, cept for the last rep of sets 2 and 3, where I had to kip a lil at the top to touch chest to bar. This was just to get a base for when I start adding weight.

Push:
Head to ground, HSPU negs
10 sec 3 x 3

Last rep on last set each, were prolly closer to 8 and 9 sec. Gunna work these up til I got all 3 x 3 at 10 sec, then go to 3 x 4.

Good workout today. Good day overall, even with the shatty nutrition for the past couple days, and the erratic sleep.

Chris Salvato
12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Whats your one set max on chins? If you can't do 10-15 you might want to push off on adding weight.

Chris H Laing
12-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Strict or kipping? I can get like 30 or 40 kipping, maybe like 19 or 20 strict, but i'm not sure about going chest to bar, cuz they are harder than chin over bar, so maybe ill work towards 3x10 strict chest to bar before adding weight.

Chris Salvato
12-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh damn -- no i think you are ok :P

You just want to make sure the motor pathway is really solid (10-15 max reps in one set) before you add weight. Otherwise, you will just be spinning your own wheels...

Sounds like you are definitely add weight. WPU is kind of a pain in the ass, to be honest -- imho it is so much harder to advance with weighted push/pull than it is with body weight for some reason...

Chris H Laing
12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
*16 hr fast*

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ ankle stretches
60 sec wall hs
Bonzai board balance - 3:00
DROM

Metcon:
5 rounds for time:
10 L arm dumbell snatches, 35 lbs
5 pullups
10 R arm dumbell snatches, 35 lbs
5 pullups

Time = 16:49

Originally it was supposed to be ten pullups between snatches, but after 2 rounds, my hand started ripping apart again, so I put it back to 5. I need to build my calluses back up to how they were in my cf days, so I can bust out high rep kipping pullups without destroying my hands.

MU Tech:
5 x 2 rowing muscle ups

Cant make it through the transition slowly yet, as it takes an explosive pull to get me through into the bottom of a dip. I'll be working these most days, at night, way after my workout.

Oly Tech:
3 sets with each grip of:
5 exp 2 max ext
3 max ext 2 pullunder

Starting to get comfortable with the movement, did a couple slightly faster today. Tomorrow I'll prolly try to combine the two movements in my Clean tech work.

Chris H Laing
12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Warmup:
3 x 100 jumprope w/ ankle stretches
Tuck FL hold - 60 sec *moving on to next progression next time
DROM

Clean Tech:
5 sets of - 3 exp 2 max ext
5 max ext to pullunder

Did the exp 2 max ext a little faster today, and I noticed the bar has a tendency to fly away from my body when the move is done quicker. Gunna concentrate on keeping the bar as close as possible but keep doing these at a faster speed. Possibly gunna move up to a real bar soon.

Clean Strength:
Front Squat
85 x 3 x 5

I still can't seem to get into a solid position at the bottom of the FS, but hopefully my ankles will get flexible-er soon, so it becomes easier.

Jerk Strength:
Push Press
85 x 4 x 4

These were pretty easy. Thinking about going up 10 lbs next time instead of 5.

Pull:
C2B Chinups
bw x 3 x 5

Did no weight again, and I hit the bar with my chest every rep without having to kip, so i think its time to add weight. Prolly gunna do 2.5 lbs every time to get some linear progression with this, so it'll be like 5 lbs a week.

Pretty good workout today. Worked up a good sweat.

Chris H Laing
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Unscheduled rest day due to homework... :(

jake oleander
12-12-2008, 03:00 PM
hey, just read through your log. im involved in similar training myself...
i was just wondering how long youd been working out for, and whether youve done something like starting strength. it seems to me like youre trying to do too many things at once. :eek: and i think steven was right about you lacking volume, particularly for upper body. just some things to consider. good luck with your training!

Chris H Laing
12-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Jake, I did do starting strength for a month and a half, with GOMAD, and i felt so crappy the entire time that I decided it wasn't worth the strength gains. Also most of the weight I gained was fat, because I'm slowly moving back towards my starting weight.

Also, I did crossfit for the summer before starting strength, which was like 2 and a half months, so i've been working out for like 4 or 5 months...i started really late.

I'm actually pretty happy with what I'm doing right now, and I dont think I'm tackling too much, but Im really interested to see your point of view on things. Which parts of my training do you think I'm overreaching with, and how would you suggest focusing my training more?

and now the workout..

Oly Tech:
5 sets of - 3 sn grip exp 2 pullunder
3 cl grip exp 2 pullunder

Went slow on the first reps, stopping at the max ext to try and get the feel. On the later reps I tried to move faster, but I still wasn't reaching the max ext point when I go fast, so i slowed down again.

Metcon:
50 box jumps at knee height
25 parallette pushups with feet on the box
40 box jumps at knee height
20 parallette pushups with feet on the box
30 box jumps at knee height
15 parallette pushups with feet on the box
20 box jumps at knee height
10 parallette pushups with feet on the box
10 box jumps at knee height
5 parallette pushups with feet on the box

Time = 13:05

The first sets of box jumps took forever, and the first set of pushups was unbroken. Afterwards the box jumps went pretty quick, but the pushups were broken into 10s and eventually 5s. Worked up a pretty good sweat though.

Chris Salvato
12-12-2008, 07:52 PM
By the By, i just noticed ur HSPU negatives are only head to ground. Bad move. Then you will be where I am now.

It makes no sense to train the strength to push from the ground then have to re-do it all when u want to go from full ROM...best to just work full ROM from the get go and save yourself the time.

Also..the last time u did this was 12-8 -- thats 4 days ago. If you take tomorrow off, we are looking at 6 days between the negatives. Should be doing these every day at the gym if they are top priority -- or every other day...hell even ALL day as GTG. Your volume is much too low on those, imho, which is what I think jake and steve is trying to say. Instead of doing "gymnastics pull" -- focus on muscle ups or Chest-to-Bar Pulls. Instead of doing "gymnastics push" -- do planches or HSPU only. By the by, the jerk work can be purely technical if you are doing HSPU work -- most of the strength from HSPU has remarkable translation to OH Press -- this cuts down on some work you need to do like Jerk Strength, for now, anyway.

Just my opinion on these matters...im sure steve/jake would agree though.

Keep up the hard work!

Chris H Laing
12-13-2008, 06:46 AM
By the By, i just noticed ur HSPU negatives are only head to ground. Bad move. Then you will be where I am now.

It makes no sense to train the strength to push from the ground then have to re-do it all when u want to go from full ROM...best to just work full ROM from the get go and save yourself the time.

I would rather work the full rom, but my gym wouldn't let me bring the smaller parallettes that made in... still trying to figure out what to do.

Also..the last time u did this was 12-8 -- thats 4 days ago. If you take tomorrow off, we are looking at 6 days between the negatives.

I'll be doing them today, cuz its kind of like an A, B split SS type deal.

Should be doing these every day at the gym if they are top priority -- or every other day...hell even ALL day as GTG. Your volume is much too low on those, imho, which is what I think jake and steve is trying to say.

HSPU are not top priority right now. Top priority is getting good at the oly lifts. A free standing HSPU is a very long term goal for me, and I wouldn't mind if it took me a couple years to get it.

Instead of doing "gymnastics pull" -- focus on muscle ups or Chest-to-Bar Pulls. Instead of doing "gymnastics push" -- do planches or HSPU only.

Thats exactly what I'm doing :p . Chinups for pull and hspu's for the push, until I get a lot stronger in both.

By the by, the jerk work can be purely technical if you are doing HSPU work -- most of the strength from HSPU has remarkable translation to OH Press -- this cuts down on some work you need to do like Jerk Strength, for now, anyway.

The reason I've been doing hspu's and push press, is because hspu involves no hip, but the push press, jerk, split jerk are almost all about the explosive hip movement. So I'm training HSPU for the overhead pressing strength, and push presses for the explosive hip + oh strength.

Chris Salvato
12-13-2008, 08:07 AM
well then I stand corrected -- I was going off what I saw in the log :)

i still think working HSPU 1-2x a week isn't enough at your level of strength -- almost a waste of time since the frequency is so low on something that is going to take much work. You can get a good HSPU by just working the oly lifts, if that is the case and save yourself some time. just imho though.

you're doing great man, i'm just alway analyzing/reanalyzing for max gains :). keep it up

Chris H Laing
12-13-2008, 05:17 PM
i still think working HSPU 1-2x a week isn't enough at your level of strength -- almost a waste of time since the frequency is so low on something that is going to take much work. You can get a good HSPU by just working the oly lifts

1-2x a week seems to work for pretty good strength gains with SS, and I figure that since I'm also working push presses, the two will have carryover to each other. In total I'm going overhead at least 3x a week, plus whatever happens in metcon.

*17 hr fast*

Protein - 206g WOOT!!! Thats 50 more g's than I aim for daily.

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ ankle stretches
DROM

I think I need a new ankle stretch, because stretching them one by one doesn't seem to carry over well when I need both ankles to go far over the toes simultaneously.

Sn Tech:
3 sets of - 3 exp 2 max ext
3 max ext 2 pullunder
3 exp 2 pullunder

Exp 2 pullunder is starting to feel pretty good. Still having trouble hitting max extension when I go fast, but its getting there.

Sn Strength:
OHS
75 x 3 x 5

Still dont have a very good bottom position, because it feels like, in order to get my ass to my ankles, I cant have my knees going in front of my toes, but then I lose my near vertical torso

I think my ankles and knees are at a point where as far as they can go isn't far enough for a full A2A squat with a vertical torso, so I end up pulling my knees back when settling into the hole. Kind of hard to explain...ill try to get a video up and see what anyone thinks.

Sn grip DL
165 x 3 x 3

This might have been a little too heavy because I wasn't able to keep my torso angle the same all the way up, but it still felt good to lift a little heavier than I've been lifting lately...

Push:
HSPU negs, head to floor
3 x 3 10 sec

Still haven't found a way to do full rom hspu's at my gym. I'm thinking I go to the owner and ask if i can bring my parallettes in if i sign something that says i wont sue if i get hurt on them, but head to floor is hard enough for now i guess...

Last negative was only like 8 sec because I was pretty fatigued. Ill stick with 3x3 next time, then go on to 3x4.

Pretty good workout, still dont like OHS though...

Chris H Laing
12-14-2008, 04:01 PM
*no fast*

protein today - 152g

Rest day. Did absolutely nothing.

Chris H Laing
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
*14 hr fast*

protein - 158 g

warmup:
2 x 120 jumpropes w. ankle stretches
DROM
wall hs - 60 sec
Tuck FL - 30 sec
Less tuck FL - 10, 10, 10 sec *much harder, hips fall a lil

cl tech:
5 sets of - 3 exp 2 max ext
3 max ext 2 pullunder
3 exp 2 pullunder

On the exp 2 max ext I cam finally starting to be able to do it fast without the bar swinging out in front of me. Also the max ext 2 pullunder is now pretty easy to do fast. I just gotta get the whole thing at once and then I can move on!! Woo

cl strength:
front squat
95 x 3 x 5

Finally got to put the bumper plates on the bar!! Also I think i found the most comfortable position for front squats for me. Good day for front squats.

jerk strength:
push press
90 x 4 x 4

Finally starting to have to work during push presses. Noticed my torso dipping forward a little bit on the dip, so I focused on keeping it vertical. It helped when I didn't dip as far down.

pull:
chinups, bw
3 x 5

I was really tired today, so I put off adding weight on these. Maybe next time...

Chris H Laing
12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
*16 hr fast*
protein - 178 g

warmup:
2 x 120 jumprope w/ ankle stretches
2 min on balance board
DROM

metcon:
4 rounds for time:
15 hang power cleans, 95 lbs
500m row

time = 17:24

Felt pukie coming on this one. Grip was done by the end.

Chris Salvato
12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
metcon:
4 rounds for time:
15 hang power cleans, 95 lbs
500m row

time = 17:24

High Volume of cleans there man. Nicely done...good time. I think I did 30 P. Cleans @ 135# for time in like 7 or 8 minutes, so i think you may have me beat :P

Chris H Laing
12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Doing that many cleans at 135...I wouldnt be able to hold the steering wheel on the ride home, haha.

Chris H Laing
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
*16 hr fast*

protein - 159g

warmup:
jumprope 1 x 100 w/ ankle stretches
some double under attempts
DROM
wall hs - 60 sec
frog pl - 23, 37 sec *found my balance the second time
less tuck fl - 6 x 10 sec

Double unders were bad. I have to bring my knees to my chest to get one done. On the frog pl my arms were bent, ill be working on straightening them next time. On the fl, my hips are still a little low, but its getting better.

sn tech:
3 sets of - 5 exp 2 max ext
5 max ext 2 pullunder
5 exp 2 pullunder

I can finally do these fast with decent form. I'll be using a real bar for these on sat

sn strength:
ohs
85 x 2 x 5

My form was shit for these, so after the second set...

65 x 3 x 3

Form was a little better. I need my ankles to be more f***ing flexible.

pull:
sn grip dl
135 x 3 x 3

Even though i did 165 last time, I went down to 135 to make sure my form was good and to work on keeping the same back angle all the way up. Went well.

Didn't get to hspu's today because during the whole workout i felt lightheaded and woozy. When I pushed up into the handstand i thought I was gunna pass out so i went home. Feeling like crap now....

Chris H Laing
12-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Felt much better today compared to yesterday.

*16.5 hr fast*

protein - 185g

warmup:
500 m row - 1:55
2 min on balance board - im getting good at this
DROM
some jumpropes and pullups to warm up for:

metcon:
3 rounds for time:
200 single unders
15 pullups

time = 9:57

This time is actually closer to 9:00 because I took a break after the second set of jumpropes to spot a guy on his bench press. He asked so nicely I couldn't say no...then i got right back into it. Pretty fun one, and it didn't rip up my hands like the other metcons I've done with pullups. Wanted to do 50 double unders each rounds, but after a couple attempts, I realized it would take me around 5 min for 50, so I went with single unders...this time...

Pretty good day overall.

later...

5x5 muscle up rows working on technique through the transition and falling back down while retaining the false grip.

Chris H Laing
12-19-2008, 07:03 PM
*15.5 hr fast*

protein - 174g

rest day wod:
For time:
Buy christmas presents for family and gf

Time = 9 hours

Not a very impressive time :(. I'll PR on it next year.

Chris Salvato
12-19-2008, 08:55 PM
i sitll think 9 hours beats me out by about 20 hours lol

Chris H Laing
12-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Guess my times not as bad as i thought :p

Chris H Laing
12-20-2008, 08:36 PM
*no fast*

protein - only 140g...booooooooooo

warmup:
none

clean tech:
none

clean strength:
front squat
105 x 3 x 5

felt really easy compared to the 85 lb ohs last workout. Might have had some slight forward lean on a few reps as they were done faster than usual without the usual attention to form.

jerk strength:
push press
95 x 4 x 4

Also felt pretty easy. Maybe I'm stronger without a warmup? Again maybe some slight forward lean on a few reps, but i realized it happened when it did and fixed it for the remainder of the set.

pull:
chest to bar chinups
Bw x 3 x 5

Adding weight on monday!!!

Felt strong today. Great day.

Chris H Laing
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
*no fast*

pro - 52g
carb - 239g

Tried a carb load up day because I've been doing reading on cyclic low carb diets and thought I'd give it a try. Did not enjoy it at all. I had way to much fruit today, which means way to much sugar. Now i feel kinda sick. Think ill stick to what i've been doing unless I find out that carbing up every now and then is necessary for performance.

Chris H Laing
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
*15 hr fast*

pro - 154g

warmup:
2 x 100 fast jumpropes w/ ankle stretches
DROM

Making my warm up shorter because I felt so strong my last strength day without a warmup at all. Putting the FL and PL holds at the beginning of metcons now.

sn tech:
w/ an oly bar
3 sets of 5 exp 2 pullunder fast

time to start jumping out to the landing stance with these, and time to add another stage of the progression to work on after these. I'll be watching the movie tonight and hopefully figuring out what to do next.

sn strength:
OHS
75 x 3 x 5

I hate ohs. I suck at them. I have a horrible bottom position, and i'm wobbly throughout the whole movement, even with only 75 lbs. These make me pissed.

pull:
c2b chinups
2.5 x 3 x 5

Pretty easy. had to kip a lil on the last reps on the second two sets to get my chest to the bar though.

push:
hspu negs, head to floor
10 sec x 3 x 3

Was much easier on the first sets than I remember, but I dropped fast on the last rep in the second set, and last two in the last set. Hopefully I'll be bringing my parallettes with me to the gym next time i do these.

Disappointed with the OHS, but everything else was good.

Chris H Laing
12-23-2008, 08:29 PM
*16 hr fast*

pro - 134g...booooooooo!!!! I hate days when I dont get enough protein...

warmup:
none really...some clean tech but i was with friends who rushed me into the workout. Stupid peer pressure.

metcon:
5 rounds for time:
12 pullups
12 burpees

Time = 10:41

Met Pukie during this one, during the burpees in the last round. Dropped to the ground to start the burpee, and some crap spewed out of my mouth. Did the rest of my burpees and then walked over to the trashcan to spit out the rest of the stuff. Burpees kill me. They give me a headache and make me throw up. i'll be putting them in my warmup from now on.

Goal for this one was 10 mins :( . I'm jealous of all the people who can do 10 rounds in 10 minutes. Thats some crazy janx.

Chris Salvato
12-23-2008, 11:50 PM
ever do 100 burpees for time? I wonder if that would treat you as poorly...maybe the pullups push you over the edge...

Chris H Laing
12-24-2008, 05:28 AM
Yea that one sucked too. But maybe your right, because I didnt throw up during it...

Chris H Laing
12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
*no fast*

pro - 229g!!! Making up for the last couple low protein days.

warmup:
ran a lil because I havent in a while
2 x 100 fast jumpropes w/ ankle stretches

Forgot to do DROM today, and I think it hindered my front squats today.

cl strength:
front squat
115 x 3 x 5

These weren't that hard, but i thought they would have been easier because 105 was so easy. Worked out really early this morning and only had a pear with peanut butter (all natural of course) before getting to the gym, so that might be part of it.

jerk strength:
push press
100 x 4 x 4

Had really good form on all of these, but a couple I didnt get enough hip into and ended up have to press out the last couple inches. Still this is pretty good for me. I'll be at bw soon enough :)

pull:
clean dl
155 x 3 x 3

When I keep my back vertical my knees go way in front of the bar, which makes the bar grind my shins on the way up and makes the pull really slow and painful.

Felt tired for the whole workout, but i think its because i had to go so early because the whole family is coming over today for christmas dinner and whatnot.

Chris Salvato
12-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Yea that one sucked too. But maybe your right, because I didnt throw up during it...

I never puked from a metcon -- but every time I have been close to puking it has involved pullups or sprints...the full body stuff doesn't push me to that limit but that never occurred to me until I read your post :P

Chris H Laing
12-25-2008, 04:43 AM
This is the second time I've ever thrown up. First time was doing Helen for the first time as rx'd. I'd never swung a 1.5 pood before, and it was so damn heavy. And Helen also has pullups...hmmm.

Chris H Laing
12-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Does anyone who reads this think i'm trying to attempt to much at once. I know I'm not very strong in either oly lifting or gymnastics yet, and I'm wondering if I should keep working on both of them at the same time or try a little more specialization.

I'm thinking I should try a maybe more specialized approach with, say, 3 month periods dedicated to gymnastics or weightlifting while doing maintenance work for the strength I do have in the other and some metcon during all because metcon is fun.

One reason I'm leaning towards trying this approach is because I don't think I'll be able to teach myself the snatch very well without at least a little coaching, which I plan on getting in the near future. Also I know that people will high level gymnastic strength have pretty heavy deads and presses without training it, so it might have some good carryover to oly lifting.

Just wondering what people think.

Steven Low
12-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Looks fine to me. I mean, it's up to you though. Only you really know what you want to do and when you can get coaching on things when and such.

If you're feeling run down and such you need to cut back some and work your way up to the volume... but right now it's nothing that's super insane that you shouldn't have trouble dealing with it once you get adapted.

Chris Salvato
12-25-2008, 09:45 PM
My rule of thumb is that if I do not see progress in about 4 weeks then I am doing something wrong...whether its too much, too little, or something just all together wrong.

I try to limit the goals I go for by going for maximum translation. OAC, for example, translates nicely to the cross and vice versa...so I don't need to work both at once. OH Press and HSPU full ROM are very much the same...so I go for whichever one is more important to me or fits my schedule.

Sometimes, with all of the goals and breakdowns of movements (Cleans, Tall Cleans, Full Cleans, Power Cleans, Hang Cleans, etc) you can get caught up and realize you did tons of workouts without even testing your progress.

Just like with dieting, the only time you need to change something is when progress is not how you feel it should be - is that how you feel now?

Chris H Laing
12-29-2008, 01:55 PM
If you're feeling run down and such you need to cut back some and work your way up to the volume... but right now it's nothing that's super insane that you shouldn't have trouble dealing with it once you get adapted.

Its actually a good amount of volume. I'm just wondering if I'm making less gains than I should because I'm not focused enough on anything.

Just like with dieting, the only time you need to change something is when progress is not how you feel it should be - is that how you feel now?

Not really. I'm making ok progress because I'm still pretty new to oly lifting and gymnastics, and its almost impossible for me to not make progress :p .

What i think i'm gunna do for a while is some pure gymnastics based on the programs in sommers book, working towards goals like back/front lever, hspu, pistols, and planche (longer term), while still working on snatch technique a couple times a week.

I figure when I can get back to oly lifting, I'll have be stronger in the squat position (i dont have pistols yet) and in the overhead position (no hspu's either) and my technique on the snatch will be pretty good for when I finally get coaching for the oly lifts.

Also, just got back from a christmas cruise in the bahamas, and didn't get in any workouts except for a lot of beach volleyball, and a lot of swimming and kayaking. Gunna try and start my all gymnastics (with some oly tech) workout plan soon.

Chris Salvato
12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Not really. I'm making ok progress because I'm still pretty new to oly lifting and gymnastics, and its almost impossible for me to not make progress :p .

Haha point noted. However, I was speaking since you are doing too much. If you do too much, then you will only start to see problems with progress stalls/hampers. If you see that, especially at a novice level, then you are likely just overstressing yourself and not allowing for proper recovery.

You can deadlift every day if you're a novice..and that's good. You only stop this methodology when you see progress stall or you see symptoms of overtraining -- and then you need to space things out a bit more.

Don't mean to stir-the-pot, as it were, but, imho, if one thinks they are doing "too much" it becomes obvious in stalled progress. If one is not doing enough...that's when they may be worried because they aren't optimizing their gains.

Chris H Laing
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
*no fast*

pro - 135g...realized today that without drinking at least 3 cups of whole milk a day, its hard to get enough protein in. Need to fix that.

So I think Im pretty set on switching to all gymnastics for a while. I just need to find a gymnastics facility that will let me work out with their stuff.

This is what I'm planning on doing (a lot taken from sommer's book):
M snatch technique, embed Back Lever -> row variation, embed Planche -> Handstand pushup variation
T embed Front Lever -> Single Leg Squat variation, embed Straddle L -> Straight body variation, CF Wod
W rest, snatch technique
Th embed Back Lever -> pullup variation, embed Planche -> Dip variation, GB Wod
F embed Front Lever -> Deck Squat variation, embed Straddle L -> Hanging Leg Lift variation, Reverse Leg
Lift variation
Sat rest, snatch technique
Sun rest, snatch technique

critiques??

Also, got a years supply worth of fish oil today as a late christmas present from my family. Its this kind -> http://www.vitacost.com/Natural-Factors-Rx-Omega-3-Factors#IngredientFacts

Took four pills today, two at breakfast and two before bed, which, i think, is 4 grams of fish oil. We'll see how I react to it, and i'll adjust the levels from there.

Chris Salvato
12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Why are you making the switch?

Steven Low
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Only 600 mg EPA + DHA per serving there -- the other polyunsats aren't worth anything. You can probably take like 6-7 caps to get 4g.

Nothing to really critique there though. However, DO NOT suffer from paralysis of analysis. Pick something to do and do it for 8 weeks/2 months. Do not waver. You're not going to make ANY significant progress by switching routines every couple weeks.

Chris H Laing
12-31-2008, 04:53 AM
Why are you making the switch?

Because I feel like if I focus more on one thing, gymnastics, then I'll make better gains, and I feel like gymnastic strength will have a better carry over to oly than the other way around.

Nothing to really critique there though. However, DO NOT suffer from paralysis of analysis. Pick something to do and do it for 8 weeks/2 months. Do not waver. You're not going to make ANY significant progress by switching routines every couple weeks.

I know. I'm guilty of that all the time. I'll stick with this gymnastic thing for at least 3 months before reevaluating. I promise :D

Chris Salvato
12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Only 600 mg EPA + DHA per serving there -- the other polyunsats aren't worth anything. You can probably take like 6-7 caps to get 4g.

This was why I asked why you were switching, too.

Sounds like your plan of action is ok and that your goals are sound but its important to stick with it! :)

10-12 weeks is a good amount of time on this program :) I switched to mostly gymnastics after my knee problems got worse and I have seen great results in the way of weight loss and strength gains :)

Chris H Laing
12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Sounds like your plan of action is ok and that your goals are sound but its important to stick with it! :)

I vow right now that I will not switch off this program until I have been doing it for at least two months.

10-12 weeks is a good amount of time on this program :)

I might stay on it longer depending on how I like it and just do harder variations of the same exercises, maybe switch up the order or something, but 8 weeks is gunna be the bare minimum for it.

Chris Salvato
12-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah, i would think that's a good investment of time. There is no way you would not benefit from this kind of focus, imho.

I find that you need to get really good at listening to your body when you go really heavy on the bodyweight -- it is very...daunting...since, often times, it is very hard to perceive of progress in BW skills. Also, I kind of find it hard to actually tell when you hit the goal itself, like the front lever, etc :)

Its definitely a lot of fun and you will learn a lot about your body, similar to how SS taught you much about your body.

Your taste in workouts seems similar to mine, so i think you will like it a lot, based on how much I liked it :)

Chris H Laing
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, i would think that's a good investment of time. There is no way you would not benefit from this kind of focus, imho.

Thats the hope :p

I find that you need to get really good at listening to your body when you go really heavy on the bodyweight -- it is very...daunting...since, often times, it is very hard to perceive of progress in BW skills. Also, I kind of find it hard to actually tell when you hit the goal itself, like the front lever, etc :)

I know exactly what you mean (explained later in the post...)

Your taste in workouts seems similar to mine, so i think you will like it a lot, based on how much I liked it :)

Sweetness :D .

*14 hr fast*

pro - 186g pretty decent

Timed myself on the four major holds with my video camera, because I know I start to count faster as the set goes on.

Tuck BL - 17 sec

Tuck PL - 11 sec

Adv Tuck FL - 8 sec

Bent Leg Straddle L - 19 sec

The adv tuck FL is a little iffy, because my hips are lower than my shoulder, but I can hold a tuck fl for an easy 60 sec so I dunno if I should continue to work towards the adv tuck fl and get my hips higher over time, or if i should keep working the tuck fl. (this is how I know what you mean, chris)

Maybe I'll be able to post a vid of the FL later tonight, or in the morning, and you guys can check it out and gimme some insight on what to do about my little predicament.

Tomorrow I'll check out the adv tuck bl, and the straight leg below parallel straddle L...

Blair Lowe
12-31-2008, 06:28 PM
yep, focus on working the front lever at hips height with perfect form. according to sommer, once you can do that for 15s you're ready to move on if you can do the next progression for 2-3s besides training it at 50% of max hold.

it's a big step up from going from adv tuck to straddle or one leg or half lay. BIG step.

i find it's a real pain in the butt to not hit my target protein intake without drinking a lot of milk but that is also budgetary concerns.

Chris H Laing
12-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Nice of you to drop by Blair :D

Also are you blairbob from the gymnasticbodies forum?

yep, focus on working the front lever at hips height with perfect form. according to sommer, once you can do that for 15s you're ready to move on if you can do the next progression for 2-3s besides training it at 50% of max hold.

So are you saying I should keep working the regular tuck to keep my hips level?

i find it's a real pain in the butt to not hit my target protein intake without drinking a lot of milk but that is also budgetary concerns.

Yea i wish I could eat more food in a day, and that my parents were willing to buy it for me

Chris Salvato
01-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Yea i wish I could eat more food in a day, and that my parents were willing to buy it for me

Get a job (or another job) and start going to the store :D

Chris H Laing
01-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Get a job (or another job) and start going to the store :D

Working on it :p

pro - 167g

Just played around a little today...

3 time through with 60 sec rest between rounds:
Wall HS - 30 sec then without coming out of the HS
1 arm Wall HS - 15 sec each side
20 second elbow lever
20 H2H KB swings
5 free standing HS attempts
20 H2H KB swings

After...

5 x 1R/1L turkish getup

First time trying 1 arm HS...HARD SHIT. When using my right arm I had to assist with the pointer finger on my left hand. For my left arm I could barely get my right hand off the ground, so most of the time I was just trying to lift it up. Got onto my fingertips in the second round, and got onto my fist (somehow?) in the third.

I'm gunna work elbow levers on my play days, because I wanna work towards a 1 armed elbow lever.

Used the 35 lb KB for both the swings and the getups.

Longest fsHS was like 4 seconds...not good. I feel like im not really holding the position, more just falling slowly. Ima try to get into an adult gymnastics class sometime soon, so hopefully they can help me with my handstands, and maybe teach me how to backflip :D .

I'll prolly have an even lighter day tomorrow, maybe try some flips with kb juggling, and then rest day, and then start my all gymnastic thing. Pretty excited.

Chris H Laing
01-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Another play day...
Had a protein shake for the first time since the beginning of summer today, and now I remember why i stopped drinking them. Blech!!!!

pro - 204g...guess protein shakes are kinda helpful

and on to the "playing"...

3 rounds, 60 sec rest (give or take) between rounds
30 HS wall walks - hard but gunna be helpful for 1 arm strength
20 sec elbow lever
20 sec false grip hang
20 sec elbow lever
30 h2h kb swings

Played around with windmills afterwards, but I cant do them well with my left arm...right arm is pretty good though. Worked up to 25 lb dumbell and thats when the left arm stopped working, so i stopped for the day.

Tried out some capoeira stuff after dinner, because I'm pretty interested in it, and it is difficult stuff. I cant even do a simple ginga (the thing where they dance back and forth but dont do any moves). I feel really awkward doing it, and i have no flow or rhythm...something else to work on.

Chris H Laing
01-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Rest day. Focused gymnastic work starts tomorrow. Pretty excited.

pro - 149g...so close. But i'll be getting around 200 on workout days now because of the shakes so i can stand to be a little short on rest days.

Gunna start a new thing on sunday, where I'll cook a lot of food, like 3 or 4 recipes that make a couple meals each, so I have food during the week that I dont have to worry about cooking.

Today I made shredded chicken and pesto (4 servings with 35g pro each) and buffalo burgers (3 servings with 40ish g pro each). I also got another chicken in the fridge that ima do something with tomorrow. Maybe almond chicken or a chicken pizza.

Chris H Laing
01-05-2009, 01:03 PM
pro - 213g...i'm liking the amount of protein i can get with these protein shakes

First day of gymnastics only training!

Jump to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck FL pullups x 4
4 giant sets

Jump to tuck planche 6 sec + HeSPU negs 8-10 sec x 4
4 giant sets

Muscle up rows x 3, 5 sets

10 x wrist pushups on knees, wall extensions, bridge wall walks, 25 lb 20 sec weighted pike stretches

Felt good. Think I should have done the adv tuck bl, because I just realized my tuck hold is longer than 15 seconds, but I'll stick with the regular tuck for the next 8 weeks. Also, it didnt take near as long as my other workouts were taking. This was maybe 30 min total, whereas my other workouts were taking almost 2 hours.

I think ima like gymnastic training.

Chris H Laing
01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
pro - 207g

Jump to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Pistols to my pllts x 2L/2R alternating
4 giant sets, 90 sec rest b/w

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + German hang pull x 3
4 giant sets, 90 sec rest

3 rounds for time:
10 power cleans, 105 lbs
15 pushups

time = 7:13

10 bridge wall walks, 2 x 30 sec weighted pike stretch

Found out that I wasn't doing FL right, and was just curling my knees up to my chest but not getting my hips to parallel, so I went back to the regular tuck and focused on pulling the rings down and pushing my hips up. Much harder.

Pistols were hard with my left leg, easy with the right. Failed on the second rep on the second set, and had to use a push off the pllts to get back up.

German hang pulls make your biceps BIG.

Got the metcon from crossfit fairfax's website, but scaled the weight and only did 3 rounds to make it fit under 10 min.

Overall an excellent day.

Chris H Laing
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Rest day

pro - 157g

morning routine:
3 rounds:
5 sec adv L-sit
20 sec elbow lever
30 sec rest

Good way to start the morning.

Made this today -> http://www.cathletics.com/recipes/index.php?action=recipe&recipeID=34

It was absolutely delicious and I have another one to bring to school tomorrow for lunch. I did the Hawaiian one with a butt load of Canadian bacon on both slices, an a few pieces of pineapple, and had a salad with sunflower seeds, almonds, and olive oil. Excellent finish to a very relaxing day.

Cant wait to hit up the gymnastics training again tomorrow, and I might be going to an adult gym session to do my conditioning workout and then some back flip work or something.

Chris Salvato
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Rest day

Made this today -> http://www.cathletics.com/recipes/index.php?action=recipe&recipeID=34

THAT LOOKS AWESOME

I think I may make one this weekend.

BTW: Do you do any flipping or tumbling yet? Or will this be your first time?

Chris H Laing
01-09-2009, 03:38 AM
BTW: Do you do any flipping or tumbling yet? Or will this be your first time?

It was my first time, except for trying front flips and back flips at the beach, and although I only worked back tucks into the foam pit, it was still a lot of fun. I think I could have it on the floor in maybe a week or two, since i can only go once a week. I still have a problem with jumping back instead of straight up, but i fixed the tendency for my head to whip back before I tuck. It feels really good right now.

onto the workout...

pro - 196g...we ran out of protein powder so I only had half of the usual pwo shake.

Jump to tuck BL hold 9 sec + L-chinups x 2
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Jump to tuck PL hold 6 sec + 15 sec support hold + 5 ring dips
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

later that night at the gym...

~200 back tucks into a pit
ring support holds
p-bar swings
a lot of handstand work

Chris H Laing
01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
pro - 212g

Jump to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Natural Hamstring curl assisted x 4
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + windshield wiper - supine x 5
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

5 tuck v-ups
3 RLL - headstands
4 giant sets/30 sec rest

My lower abs already hurt a lil today from all the backflips yesterday, and now the rest of my abs do too. This is the first day in a long long time that I've worked any specific ab exercises outside of a metcon. Feels good.

For the natural hamstring curl, I did a negative til as far down as I could go, then fell and caught myself with my hands, then pushed back up til about halfway then finished the NHC. For these I have to squeeze my calves a lot, and I almost feel it in them more than in my hamstrings.

Chris H Laing
01-10-2009, 03:25 PM
pro - 153g

Play day!!!!!

3 rounds, 60 sec rest between:
30 sec face down hollow hold
20 sec elbow lever
30 sec kick-off-the-wall HS
10 h2h swings, 1.5 pood

Held the HS free balancing for a good 10 sec in the first rounds, and then all the other holds were around 2-6 sec. Elbow levers are easy now, so i think i might up the time for them in my morning routines (which i haven't been doing) or maybe start working on them one armed.

I need it to be warm outside so I can go try more advanced h2h tricks with the kbs...

Chris Salvato
01-11-2009, 07:19 AM
It was my first time, except for trying front flips and back flips at the beach, and although I only worked back tucks into the foam pit, it was still a lot of fun. I think I could have it on the floor in maybe a week or two, since i can only go once a week. I still have a problem with jumping back instead of straight up, but i fixed the tendency for my head to whip back before I tuck. It feels really good right now.

onto the workout...

pro - 196g...we ran out of protein powder so I only had half of the usual pwo shake.

Jump to tuck BL hold 9 sec + L-chinups x 2
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Jump to tuck PL hold 6 sec + 15 sec support hold + 5 ring dips
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

later that night at the gym...

~200 back tucks into a pit
ring support holds
p-bar swings
a lot of handstand work

Enjoy the tumbling man -- its a SHITTON of fun when you start getting better at it and can do more than just tucks into a pit. IMHO, 200 buck tucks is overkill - especially when you are new. It stimulates the formation of bad motor patterns since the tucks are SO demanding and you get tired very easily. I learned the hard way -- stick to low reps, like 30 max. Would you do 200 135# clean and presses in a day? I wouldn't.. :)

Chris H Laing
01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Enjoy the tumbling man -- its a SHITTON of fun when you start getting better at it and can do more than just tucks into a pit.

Sweet I cant wait.

IMHO, 200 buck tucks is overkill - especially when you are new. It stimulates the formation of bad motor patterns since the tucks are SO demanding and you get tired very easily.

Maybe 200 was a little much, but I didnt find them very tiring at the time, although my lower abs were a little sore the next day. As soon as I felt my form wasn't as good as it should've been, I stopped.

Maybe I'll try lower reps next time, and then try working on something else, like handsprings or something.

Would you do 200 135# clean and presses in a day? I wouldn't.. :)

I would if I could because that'd be awesome!!!...im not that strong though.

Rest day

pro - 169g

Very relaxing day. Got all me homework done early, and then just chilled.

Chris H Laing
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
pro - 212g

Feeling sick today. Sore throat and all that junk, so i cut the workout in half today. I'll consider last week as a set up week, this week as a lay back week, and get to it hardcore next week.

Jump to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck FL pullups x 5
2 giant sets, 90 sec rest

Jump to tuck planche 6 sec + HeSPU negs 7-8 sec x 3 (shoulda been x4...woops)

Muscle ups-red band x 5, 2 sets

Felt like crap all today, but its whatevs. I'll hopefully get over it soon. Took some vit c post workout to try and help, but i dont even know it if really helps.

Started leaning forward a little on the tuck planches, and it makes it a lot easier on the abs to get the hips high enough, but its harder on the wrists.

Also, anyone know how to wrap the band around both rings? I just wrapped it around the right ring, and put it around my wrist on the left, but it kinda hurts because it pulls down hard and rips some hair out...

Chris H Laing
01-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro - 153g

Felt so sick this morning that i took a day off from school. Slept a lot, but forced myself to eat to get enough protein and to fuel some recovery. Didn't workout today for obvious reasons. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow.

Played around with programming my gymnastics workouts into high intensity, low volume and low intensity, high volume micro cycles, but I'm making a vow right now that I wont switch off the program I'm doing til I have completed at least one full 8 week cycle working towards:
straddle back lever
straddle front lever
adv tuck planche
straddle l
full rom HSPU’s
strict muscle-up
pistols each leg

So this is becoming my goals list, which, from now on, will be posted on the top post of every page in order to keep myself on track and to track progress and what not.

Also...200th post!!!!!!

Chris H Laing
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
pro - 157g...at least im getting proper protein while im sick so im not losing any mass

Another rest day today, but I'm getting back to it tomorrow. Still at half volume though. Also, I decided to change the ring dips to PPPU's instead because I feel it will help more with my planche goals.

Steven Low
01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, don't do too much high intensity work when you're getting sick. It's a bad idea.

Don't mess around with the programming too much right now. You're still in the "novice" stage where you need to go high intensity to get the most out of your workouts much like linear progression in SS.

Chris H Laing
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Don't mess around with the programming too much right now. You're still in the "novice" stage where you need to go high intensity to get the most out of your workouts much like linear progression in SS.

I'm not until I get all those goals I posted above. I think they are a pretty good indicator that I am out of the novice stage??

And the only reason I was playing around with it was because I read some of those advanced training method posts by ido on sommer's site, and I was just trying to see how I could fit my training into some of those formats. I have no plans to switch the programming anytime soon though.

pro - 214g

Lower to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Pistols to my pllts x 2L/2R alternating

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + German hang pull x 3

5 tuck TOP pulls
5 chest roll - HeS attempts...
2 supersets, 30 sec rest

Pistols were easier today than last time. Also I held the advance tuck FL sort of... It was like a tuck lever, but my back was arched a little instead of hollow.

First time trying TOP pulls, and they're pretty fun. At the top of the pull (chin over the bar) I extended into an adv tuck and then tucked back up again to go into the next rep.

And as for the chest roll 2 HeS....i cant do em. I cant roll myself forward hard enough to get completely to a HeS, and im kinda scared of landing in a HeS on my floor, because its just carpet. I'll just keep doing chest rolls 2 push as hard as I can, and hopefully eventually get into a HS from it, to skip the HeS completely.

Chris H Laing
01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
pro - 227

Warmup:
2 rounds of...
30 sec wall HS
10 h2h swings, 1.5 pd
30 sec elbow lever

Jump to tuck BL hold 9 sec + 2 L-chinups
2 giant sets/90 sec rest

Jump to tuck PL hold 6 sec + 3 rings PPPU's
2 giant sets/90 sec rest

2 supersets:
5 tuck v ups
3 RLL - HeS

10 wrist pushups, 10 wall extensions

Tried lowering into tuck BL, but it wasnt as comfy as lowering into FL, so i stuck with jumping into it. On the second set of L chins I was able to keep my legs higher than parallel the whole time.

On the tuck planche, I am leaning forward a lot more, but it leads to me fallingforward out of it at the end most times. Also, it hurts my wrists a little but I'm sure ill get used to it. For the PPPU's, I held the rings as close to my hips as possible while still pushing up. These are fun.

Abs thing was way to easy. I would usually do it after already working the abs with FLs, NHCs, StrLs, and WW's (lotsa acronyms!!!!) so its usually harder, but tomorrow I'm going snowboarding early in the morning and I didnt wanna have to squeeze to much stuff into my morning routine.

Wrist pushups were on knees.

Chris H Laing
01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
pro - 242

Skipped my workout today to go snowboarding with some friends. It is not my sport. I mastered the bunny hill easily, but the next hill not so much. I'm better at summery sports, such as volley ball or swimming. Still it was fun, and I got a buttload of protein today, which is cool.

Tomorrow is a rest day, and then hopefully back to doing full volume workouts.

Chris H Laing
01-18-2009, 03:11 PM
pro - 156g

Just barely made my protein for the day. Didn't do anything, because my phones broken and I haven't got anyones numbers memorized. Just watched Dexter, the show about the friendly serial killer, and Burn Notice all day.

Had a lot of relaxing green and white tea with cinnamon and honey for the cold. I can feel that I'm getting better.

Also, my head, butt bone, and shoulders all still hurt from falling yesterday, and I had a big bruise on my chin and it feels like i got punched...hard.

Overall a pretty good day though.

Chris H Laing
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
SSC 1 - week 1

pro - 244g

warmup:
2 rounds:
20 sec false grip hang
30 sec elbow lever
15 h2h swings, 1 pd
30 sec rest

Jump to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck L chinups x 4

Jump to tuck planche 6 sec + HeSPU to math book x 3

Muscle ups-red band (r) x 5
3 sets, 30 sec rest

Went with tuck L chins today, because I can only do two L chins in a row, and i wanna do at least 3 reps for all exercises.

So i found out today I can do a HeSPU. The first one was pretty easy, but I couldn't get up for the second one. So i slipped a math book under my head and made my head touch that for the 4 sets. On the last two sets of HeSPUs, I couldnt make my head touch the book, because I knew i wouldn't be able to push back up, but its supposed to be hard.

Also, starting to get the hang of slow muscle ups.

Excellent day.

Chris H Laing
01-20-2009, 01:00 PM
SSC 1 - week 1

pro - 234g

warmup:
2 rounds:
30 sec wall HS
10 h2h swings, 1.5 pd
2R/2L alt. turkish getups, 1 pd
30 sec rest

Jump to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Pistols to my pllts x 3L/3R alternating

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + Body lever negs x 3

Hit around a 10 sec freestanding HS in the first wall hs in the warmup.

I put the pistol reps up to 3, and switched from german pull hangs to body levers because I dont have room to do layed out german hang pulls, so it wasn't really a core exercise. But I cant do the full concentric yet, so I had to pike slightly to get up, and then went with really slow negatives. Hard.

Going to adult gym tonight to work on backflips, press to handstands, and then a short gb wod.

Chris H Laing
01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
SSC 1 - week 1

pro - 176g

Rest day.

No adult gym last night because the instructor is an obama fan. I'll be going on thursday instead. I feel like when I go back I'll have to start all over again on the back flips because its been so long since i last did them. Also hoping to get some work in on press HS.

Chris H Laing
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
SSC 1 - week 1

pro - 208g

warmup:
2 rounds:
30 sec HS
10 h2h swings, 1.5 pd
30 sec elbow lever
30 sec rest

Jump to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck FL rows x 4

Jump to tuck planche 6 sec + rings PPPU x 3

tuck TOP pulls x 4
chest roll to HeS attempts x 4
4 supersets, 30 sec rest

Focused on trying to not flex my lats during the back lever, which made it harder, but still very doable.

On the tuck planche, I've been trying to lean forward more, but when I do I fall forward, and by the last set of planches i only held it for 4 sec. The PPPU was getting hard by the end, and I almost didnt make the very last rep. Seems about perfect for a steady state cycle.

TOP pulls were very hard by the last set, and I almost made it to HS on 2 of the chest roll attempts.

Chris H Laing
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
SSC 1 - week 1

pro - 223g

warmup:
2 rounds:
L hang to german hang pull x 3
14 h2h swings, 1.5 pd
15 sec weight-shifted elbow lever - left
15 sec weight-shifted elbow lever - right
30 sec rest

Jump to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Natural Hamstring curl assisted x 4
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

4 giant sets/90 sec rest

5 tuck v-up
3 RLL - headstand
4 supersets, 30 sec rest

Good workout today. The ww-s kill me by the last set. And it makes the tuck v ups hard enough that i decided not to do a harder variation. RLL-HeS is in there to balance out the tuck v-ups and to give me some practice in HeS.

This weekend I might be going snowboarding again with a different friend who is willing to stick with me on the lower level slopes while I learn. Also tomorrow I might be going to an indoor airsoft battle place, which could be pretty fun. And i finally ordered a new phone...blackberry! Woo.

Chris H Laing
01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
SSC 1 - week 1

pro - 152g...barely made it

hand balancing day:
Spent 15 minutes working on hand balancing (aka handstands). Worked the handstands against a wall and filmed them to try to get a feeling for what I should look like when in a handstand. I got it down decent by the end of the session, and then held one pretty good 5 sec straight free standing handstand, and a couple 5 or more sec straddle ones.

I think I'm gunna start involving hand balancing a lot more in my workout shedule, but I'm gunna do it gradually. Ill start with 15 min once a week, then go to 30 once, then 30 one day and 15 another, then 30 one day and 30 another, etc. etc. I think itll help me build up some strength and endurance in my shoulder, and obviously get me better at handstands.

Hopefully going airsofting today.

Chris H Laing
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
SSC 1 - week 1

pro - 173g

rest day

Went airsofting today. Some jerk shot me in the forehead from like 3 feet away with a fully automatic electric MP4 and like 3 or 4 of them broke then skin. Other than that it was a lot of fun. Shot a lot of guys and what not.

Chris H Laing
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
SSC 1 - week 2

pro - 232g

warmup:
joint mobility
dynamic stretching

2 rounds:
assisted OAEL, 15 sec each arm
20 h2h swings, 2 pd
30 sec rest

-----

Lower from inverted hang to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck L chinups x 4

Muscle ups-red band (l) x 5
3 sets, 30 sec rest

10 wrist pushups (knees), 10 first knuckle pushups (knees), 10 wall extensions

Good workout today. Everything felt great, even the planche. Maybe joint mobility had something to do with it?

Wrist pushups were ridiculously easy today compared to the last time i did them. They didnt get hard until the 7th or 8th rep. Maybe soon I'll be moving on to full ones. First knuckle pushups wore out my forearms. I could barely push up onto the knuckles by the last rep. Wall extensions are slowly but surely getting better.

Chris H Laing
01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
SSC 1 - week 2

pro - 203g

joint mobility

warmup:
2 rounds of...
15 sec tuck V sit
20 h2h kb swings, 1.5 pd
30 sec elbow lever
30 sec rest

Lower from inverted hang to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Pistols to my pllts x 3L/3R alternating

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + Body lever negs x 3

tuck TOP pulls x 4
4 supersets, 30 sec rest

10 bridge wall walks, 2 x 30 sec weighted pike stretch + 5 jefferson curls

Workout felt awesome today. I think joint mobility really helps. Failed on the last pistol with my left leg of the last set, but i think it was due to balance more than strength. Body lever negs felt good, and I'm getting closer to pulling up with a straight body also.

Tuck TOP pulls were really hard today. Probably because I had already worked front lever in the workout, but they felt way harder than they did last time. And the chest rolls 2 HS felt pretty good this time. Getting very close to pressing to a HS. But right now I just press up as far as I can, hold for a sec, then roll back down.

Great day. Time to go play in the snow!!!

Chris H Laing
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
SSC 1 - week 2

pro - 158g

warmup:
10 fingertip pushups
10 wrist ups
1o first knuckle pushups
10 wrist pushups
10 explosive wrist ups
2x10 sec planche leans
2 x 20 sec cat stretches

15 min handbalancing. Focused on chest to wall handstands, and got a couple good 5-6 sec free standing handstands. Shoulders were getting tired by the end. I cant wait til I get good as handstands.

Chris H Laing
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
SSC 1 - week 2

pro - 232g

warmup:
2 rounds:
3 L hang -> german hang -> L hang
10 h2h swings, 1.5 pd
15 sec asst OAEL - both arms
30 sec rest

Lower from inverted hang to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck FL rows x 4

Jump to tuck planche 6 sec + PPPU x 3

Changed PPPU from rings to ground, because i wasnt getting my hands close enough to my hips with the rings. Still pretty hard, especially with the extra forward lean.

Surprisingly my shoulders weren't tired from hand standing yesterday, which I guess is a good thing because I plan to continue hand balancing.

gymnastic conditioning:
Went to capital gymnastics for the second time (finally) and got my back tuck down pretty well in the pit, moved to a mat in the pit, then from flat ground to a mat. Next step...Flat ground!!!!

Then i got tired and my form started going to shit so I went and played with some swinging pbar dips, hard stuff. Then i decided to call it a day.

I cant wait til next thursday. Ima kill that back flip.

Chris H Laing
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
SSC 1 - week 2

pro - 236g

joint mobility

warmup:
2 rounds of...
20 sec false grip hang
30 sec elbow lever
10 h2h kb swings, 1.5 pd
30 sec rest

Lower from inverted hang to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Natural Hamstring curl assisted x 4
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

4 giant sets/90 sec rest

5 tuck v-up
3 RLL - headstand
4 supersets, 30 sec rest

10 bridge wall walks, 2 x 30 sec weighted pike stretch + 5 jefferson curls

Fucking hard on the abs today. The hollow handstands on wed, the backflips of thursday, and the everything today have officially killed my middle.

On the other hand, it was still a good workout, and I finally got the RLL - HeS good, so thats a plus. Hand balancing tomorrow if my abs are up for it, and if not then two rest days.

Chris H Laing
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
SSC 1 - week 2

pro - 160g

rest day

Was planning on doing a hand balancing session today, but my abs are so sore i decided against it.

So i was in my basement watching tv, and got bored, so i decided to do some german hangs on my rings, and as im about to descend into the first one, i decide to go for a straddle back lever instead...AND I HIT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for like a second though, and it was pretty ugly, but still.

I've only been training back lever consistently for the last two weeks, and with only tuck bl's, so thats pretty good progress. My elbow felt like it was gunna explode though. I need to find some elbow strengthening exercises.

Fuckin sweet day.

Chris Salvato
01-31-2009, 01:47 PM
congrats man :P first time you get a solid hold its really exciting :)

Steven Low
01-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Nice job. You'll find that back lever comes extremely fast with consistent work.

Unfortunately none of the other statics do... so fast progress there will have to tide you over for the long term front lever, planche, cross, etc. :)

Chris H Laing
01-31-2009, 07:29 PM
congrats man :P first time you get a solid hold its really exciting :)

Hells yes it is!

Nice job. You'll find that back lever comes extremely fast with consistent work.

Unfortunately none of the other statics do... so fast progress there will have to tide you over for the long term front lever, planche, cross, etc. :)

Haha thats comforting...:p

Chris H Laing
02-01-2009, 04:19 PM
SSC 1 - week 2

pro - 167g

Rest day. Did nothing but homework and eat, then hung out with my girlfriend for a little. Now im watching the superbowl. I dont really like either of the teams, but I'm rooting for Tampa Bay because the friend im watching it with likes Pittsburgh.

Chris Salvato
02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Chris,

Are you doing Sommer's programming at all or are you just implementing your own techniques to some of his skills.

I apologize if you posted the answer to this already, but i just finished the book and i think i am going to take the next 8-12 weeks to do a gymnastics strength cycle as he lays out in his book and wanted to know if you were doing this too.

Chris H Laing
02-02-2009, 02:11 PM
SSC 1 - week 3

pro - 241g

joint mobility

warmup:
2 rounds/30 sec rest
15 sec tuck v-sit
20 h2h kb swings, 1.5 pd
30 sec elbow lever

Press from inverted pike hang to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck L chinups x 4

3 sets, 30 sec rest

10 wrist pushups (knees), 10 first knuckle pushups (knees), 10 wall extensions

Hard workout today.

The muscle-ups were getting hard by the last ones of each set, and I even failed on the last rep on the second set, because I tried to do it too slowly.

Sweet day today. I think at the end of the fourth week ima gunna start doing adv tuck bl because the tuck bl is getting really easy. Other than that its all gunna stay the same.

Are you doing Sommer's programming at all or are you just implementing your own techniques to some of his skills.

Chris, its pretty much straight out of coach's book, the integrated training section, but then I add in CPP for 3x5, and MPPr/MPPu and abs/lower back as supersets after the embedded work. Its working pretty good so far.

Chris H Laing
02-03-2009, 11:17 AM
SSC 1 - week 3

pro - 220g

joint mobility

warmup:
2 rounds of...
3 x 3 sec tuck v-sit -> 3 sec tuck shoulder stand
30 sec elbow lever
20 h2h kb swings, 1 pd
30 sec rest

Pull from hang to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Pistols to my pllts 3L/3R alt.
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + body lever negs x 3
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

10 bridge wall walks, 2 x 5 jefferson curls + 30 sec weighted pike stretch

Good workout today.

Pistols are a little weird on my left leg now, because while my right one is extended out front, it curls in around my left leg as i stand up. I think its something to do with balance.

Getting a lot better at fully extending in body lever negs and controlling it all the way to the ground.

Going to the gym tonight to work my flat ground back flips.

------

Finally got the back tuck on the floor. I still land too far forward sometimes, but I got a video of a good one, and i'll put it up here tomorrow and maybe if anyone has any flipping experience I can get it critiqued.

Chris H Laing
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
SSC 1 - week 3

pro - 158g

warmup:
...forgot to do it

15 min hand balancing

cooldown:
3 x 30 sec each open pike/straddle

Hand balancing wasn't as good today as it was last week. Last time I warmed up and this time I didn't so maybe that had something to do with it. I felt like I wasn't hitting the hollow position in my handstand as well, and I had trouble getting my hands as close to the wall as last time.

Had a couple decently aligned free standing ones though, longest was maybe 8 seconds.

I needa start stretching again, so I figured I'd work in some stretching after the hand balancing. I'm probably just gunna stretch on rest days, as my workouts are already long enough as it is, but I might start some foam rolling at night again to work on trouble areas.

Chris H Laing
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
SSC 1 - week 3

pro - 224g

joint mobility

warmup:
3 x tuck v-sit -> tuck shoulder stand
3R/3L kb snatches, 1 pd
30 sec elbow lever
2 rounds, 30 sec rest

Press from from inverted pike hang to tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck FL rows x 4

tuck TOP pulls x 4
4 supersets, 30 sec rest

10 wrist pushups (knees), 10 first knuckle pushups (knees), 10 elbow-2-ground pushups (knees), 10 wall extensions

Was feeling really tight all through the day, but the joint mobility made me feel fine.

Been reading some poliquin, and I decided to try and use some tempos for my FBE's. I went 313 (eccentric, pause, concentric) on the tuck fl pullups and pppu, and it definitely made them harder. Didnt worry about tempo on the top pulls or chest roll 2 HeSs because its supposed to be fast.

On the last set of rolls to HeS, I was like 2 inches away from hitting HeS!

Now ima go rest and do some homework.

Chris H Laing
02-06-2009, 04:38 PM
SSC 1 - week 3

pro - 219g

joint mobility

warmup:
2 rounds, 30 sec rest
20 h2h swings, 1 pd
3R/3L kb snatchs, 1 pd
30 sec elbow lever

Pull from hang to tuck FL hold 7 sec + NHR assisted x 4
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + WW-supine x 5
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

5 tuck v-ups
3 RLL - headstand

Felt pretty good today. Abs were still slightly sore, and have been for the last week or two from all the backflips and stuff, but the soreness is slowly going away.

Made it all the way to the floor on my first two or 3 negative NHR's. Thats some pretty good progress im seeing in them. Also my feet cramped up less.

Chris H Laing
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
SSC 1 - week 3

pro - 153g

Rest day...was supposed to do hand balancing but had to go visit hampton sydney today and it took all day, so ill make it up tomorrow maybe.

Chris H Laing
02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
SSC 1 - week 3

pro - 160g

rest day...

finally got the video of my back flip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4ey11MqYw) up though

Its a little late though because I'll be going again on tuesday and will hopefully get some better ones

Steven Low
02-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Not bad.

As you get better you will be able to wait longer.. your takeoff into the flip if you slow it down enough you can see that you had bent legs. What we want you doing is at the top of your vertical you initiate the flip, but for most people that is TOO scary because they have to rely on their abs for all of the rotation. You rotated fast enough that you have nothing to worry about.. but it's going to take some time to build it up unless you have no fear.

Chris Salvato
02-09-2009, 10:43 AM
not bad man....that is a good job...

obviously form needs some minor tweaks but that is a lot better than I see people the gym doing for sure!

Chris H Laing
02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
SSC 1 - week 4

pro - 212g

joint mobility

F2W HS - 30 sec on, 60 sec off, 12 rounds, ~18 min

Lower from inverted hang to tuck BL hold 9 sec and pull back to inverted hang + tuck L chinups x 4

3 sets, 30 sec rest

10 wrist pushups (knees), 10 first knuckle pushups (knees), 10 elbow push ups (knees), 10 wall extensions

Good workout today. Handstand work is fun, Ima keep doing it as my warmup. Trying to work towards 12 rounds at 30 sec on, 45 sec off, and keeping good form the whole time.

Failed on the very last HeSPU of the very last set, so I dropped down, shook it out, and then hopped back out and did one more. Too much time on my hands today. I need to get adjusted.

Chris H Laing
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
SSC 1 - week 4

pro - 233g

joint mobility

F2W HS - 30 sec on, 50 sec off, 12 rounds alt 3 rounds straight, 3 rounds straddle

Lower from inverted hang to tuck FL hold 7 sec and pull back to inverted hang + Pistols to my pllts 3L/3R alt.
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Hand balancing was good today. Getting closer to 30sec on, 45sec off, but I think I'll stick with 30 on/50 off for the next couple workouts so I dont advance to fast and burn myself out. Didnt get as many long holds off the wall today, but that might be because I was a lil tired in my shoulders, and because I alternated between straddle and straight...

FL was easy today. So were pistols. I focused on keeping my right leg straight in my left pistols, and finally got it on the last set. Maybe the left side pistols harder, but the right side was still easy enough.

Body lever negs are getting a lot better. Still piking on the way up, but I'm lowering with a straight body for every rep. Yay progress!!

Getting farther and farther down every time I do the weighted pike stretch. Got my hands below my feet for the first time today.

Going to the gym tonight to flip!!! Gunna take some videos. Im gunna get my back tuck automatic tonight.

Hah! well my flips not automatic yet. Im landing maybe 2 or 3 out of 5? I need to focus on getting up more, throwing my hips ups, and trying to land in the same spot where I took off from.

In other news, I had a decent fall last night, landing on my right shoulder and my neck. R shoulder feels a lil iffy at the moment, but I'm sure itll be fine after a day of rest.

Chris H Laing
02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
SSC 1 - week 4

pro - 179g

Rest day.

Tested my max adv tuck BL hold today, 14 sec. Starting next week ima use the adv tuck BL instead of the regular one for my work sets.

Very relaxing day.

Chris H Laing
02-12-2009, 05:15 PM
pro - 176g

So I've decided that doing a steady state cycle isnt giving me fast enough progress, so Im going to turn to something else. The next few days will be rest days, and then Ill start on a sort of CFSB but with more gymnastic than barbell training.

Steven Low
02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
pro - 176g

So I've decided that doing a steady state cycle isnt giving me fast enough progress, so Im going to turn to something else. The next few days will be rest days, and then Ill start on a sort of CFSB but with more gymnastic than barbell training.
I personally don't like the steady state system.....

But you need to stop program hopping!!!!! If "programs" aren't working make your own and stick with it. As I said, stick with it at least 8 weeks/2 months. Continually switching isn't going to make you strong... there is no magic program. It's ALL hard work.

Chris Salvato
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
yeh I am a bit confused.

By definition the SSC is 8 weeks minimum, you are only halfway done. It doesn't make sense to switch now, imho...

Chris H Laing
02-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Yea...both of you are right. I'm actually still deciding whether or not to switch yet, because I know I need to stick with a program and stop program hopping, but at the same time I feel like I could be making so much more progress if I was doing some kind of linear or weekly progression, instead of waiting 2 months to make any progress...also I miss deadlifts and power cleans.

I think ima stick with it for the next month, but this will almost certainly be the last time I do a steady state cycle, unless I really need to focus on my static positions.

SSC 1 - week 4

rest day

pro - 207g

Had to do valentines day shopping for the gf. Had to go out to a mall like an hour away, but with traffic it was like two, and then had to walk around for hours to find anything. Then two hours home, and I was wiped out. No workout today.

Chris Salvato
02-13-2009, 06:51 PM
could just do to you what happened to steve and I....take a hammer to your knees and let you forget all about squatting, DLing and cleaning for a few months :P

Consider a slow progression still a progression -- you learned you don't like it and you did get a bit stronger. You made some good gains on the SSC. I think you are wise to see it all the way through. Maybe it will surprise you.

Chris H Laing
02-14-2009, 06:26 AM
could just do to you what happened to steve and I....take a hammer to your knees and let you forget all about squatting, DLing and cleaning for a few months :P

Not a bad idea... I'll take it into consideration, plus I feel kinda left out with my good knees and all :p

And on a slightly more serious note, I've had a major epiphany today. Its like lightning struck my brain. I think I am stronger than I am. I read about all the programs the beasts use, and try to make them work for myself, but Im not at the level where they will work for me. I go into all these super complicated programming frenzies and make up these really complex training schedules to follow, when the simple fact is that I DONT NEED IT!!!!

I think, once I'm done with my SSC cycle, Im going to go back to main page crossfit (with FSP work when I feel like it) for a while, because thats where I saw the best gains and where I felt the best. I realized that I want to be good at everything. I want a triple bodyweight deadlift, I want a sub 3 fran, I want a full front lever, and on crossfit I was moving (slowly) towards all these goals, but while on my own programs, I was switching back and forth between the three, and not making progress on any one of them.

...and Happy V day

Steven Low
02-14-2009, 09:44 AM
If those are your goals, CF is probably a good idea. Maybe biased with some strength though. Not too many people will hit 3x bw DL doing CF, but you can definitely hit it with some specific work.. same with front lever.

Chris H Laing
02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Sat, Sun - rest

pro - didnt track for either day, but well above 150g

Today

SSC 1 - week 5

pro - 179g

joint mobility

F2W HS - 30 sec on, 50 sec off, 12 rounds, ~18 min

Press form inverted pike to adv tuck BL hold 9 sec and pull back to inverted hang + tuck L chinups x 4

3 sets, 30 sec rest

Chris H Laing
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
SSC 1 - week 5

pro - 234g

joint mobility

F2W HS - 30 sec on, 50 sec off, 12 rounds alt 3 rounds straight, 3 rounds straddle

3 x 1 each arm OAC neg, pointer finger assist

pull from hang to tuck FL hold 7 sec and pull to inverted hang + Pistols to my pllts 3L/3R alt.
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Good workout today. Had some great holds during the handstands, including a 6 sec straight and a 11 sec straddle free standing. First two OAC negs each arm were a good 6-7 sec, but the last each arm was around 3...

Not feeling much motivation right now to work this but Im sticking to it...

Gym tonight to work on flips and shizz. Gunna try and learn an aerial or a double leg tonight since Im getting tired of spending 1.5 hrs working on back flips, and i think itll help my back flips because I wont spend so much time on them, and I wont fix the wrong motor patterns in my body.

Chris H Laing
02-18-2009, 05:57 PM
SSC 1 - week 5

pro - 207G

rest day

...tired...

Chris H Laing
02-21-2009, 04:09 AM
SSC 1 - week 5

thurs:

Press from from inverted pike hang to tuck BL hold 9 sec and pull back to inverted hang + tuck FL rows x 4

tuck TOP pulls x 4
4 supersets, 30 sec rest

10 wrist pushups (knees), 10 first knuckle pushups (knees), 10 elbow-2-ground pushups (knees), 10 wall extensions

fri:

Pull from hang to tuck FL hold 7 sec and pull to inverted hang + NHR assisted x 4
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Jump to Low StrL hold 9 sec + WW-supine x 5
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

5 tuck v-ups
3 RLL - headstand

Good workouts. Enjoying my rest days.

Chris H Laing
02-25-2009, 03:30 AM
mon:

SSC 1 - week 6

pro - 231g

joint mobility

F2W HS - 30 sec on, 50 sec off, 6 rounds,
OAEL assisted - 15 on / 25 off each arm, 3 rounds

Press from german hjng to adv tuck BL hold 9 sec + tuck L chinups x 4

3 sets, 30 sec rest

tues:

SSC 1 - week 6

pro - 207g

joint mobility

3 x 1 each arm OAC neg, pointer finger assist

pull from hang inverted hang, lower to tuck FL hold 7 sec + Pistols to my pllts 3L/3R alt.
4 giant sets/90 sec rest

4 giant sets/90 sec rest

Everything is progressing slowly, but i guess thats the point of a steady state cycle. I cant wait til Im done with this so I can move on to something that progresses faster.

In other news, I can land back flips pretty consistently now, I am working on a double leg and aerial, and I have just done the first two muscle ups...IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!

I was at the gym last night, not really gocusing on anything, and just having fun, and I jumped up in the rings and busted out a muscle up. Then I hopped down, jumped back up, and did another one. WOOOO. I was the only person there who could do one, so thars kind of a cool feeling. Good day for tricking, tumbling, whatever.

james forshaw
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the kind input, "disgustingly strong" is a phrase I may just have to steal!
I've trained for 5 years, but only with any purpose (i.e. not for aesthetics) for about 3. This is the first time I've successfully freed myself from the CF mindset, picked a goal (strength) and just gone for it. The results are pretty decent, especially now I can rep with a push press weight heavier than my old 1RM.
You say you want a triple bodyweight deadlift and a 3 min Fran, have you considered getting on a linear base strength programme like SS? A +2.5 BW deadlift is the least you could hope for, and thrusters get MUCH easier with any strength gain.
Impressive gymnastic feats, IMO holding a planche for any length of time is commendable.

Chris H Laing
03-01-2009, 05:15 PM
So its been a while since I've posted. I'm so ready to be done with this steady state cycle, but I've still got one more week to go.

Im working up a new program now, with goals oriented towards HSPU and Front Lever, and getting started on some serious planche work. The planche will be on back burner for a while though, until I develop a full rom HSPU. There will also be work on power cleans, front squats, and deadlifts, as well as muscle ups.

I'm also going to start some grip training, with the aim of closing the CoC #2 within the next year. Just ordered the first two levels of CoC today (60, 80#). The guide (60#) is to do my workouts with and the trainer (80#) is my goal. Once I accomplish my goal and can start training with it, I'll order the next lever up to keep me motivated.

Other, less strength oriented goals, are to work towards a 30 sec free standing HS, and 15 sec each arm on the OAEL, which will be done as skill work before every workout.

And finally, rounding out the workout plan with conditioning, is kettlebell juggling (cuz its fun) and tricking, tumbling, wutever-you-wanna-call-it (cuz its fun)

...and Ima do some l-sits for teh abz.

Yea. Long post. I'll put up the actual training layout another day (once I figure out how to do that cool thing that chris and george have done with theirs...)

Chris Salvato
03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
mine is just a screenshot of microsoft excel :P Attached is my copy of the spreadsheet I used to create my workouts (a pre-steve-draft is in there too)

Chris H Laing
03-02-2009, 05:34 AM
So theres no school this morning, even though I woke up to my alarm...at 6! So I though I'd post my plan. This is kinda like a basic template thing, and then you can fill in the exercises that are being focused on, which, for me right now, are gunna be the FS full rom HSPU and the FL. Its an alternating A/B workout schedule, kinda like SS but for more gymnastic strength. The oly lifts (power versions as I don't want to have to put much time towards technique), squats, and deads are still included.

A:
Focus Push - for me it will be HSPU
Pull Accessory - I'll use weighted pullups

B:
Push Accessory - weighted dips
Focus Pull - Front Lever

Mon:
A/B
Power oly lift - ima use power clean

Tues:
Abs - gunna work my l-sits here
Conditioning - some KB juggling and such

Wed:
B/A
Squat - front squats

Thurs:
Abs - l-sits
Conditioning - kb junk

Fri:
A/B
Deadlift - just the conventional DL

Also, I'm going to be continuing my quest for a little more size, but only going up a pound or two a week to make sure I dont get fat.

Chris Salvato
03-02-2009, 07:37 AM
how long are you going to be on this routine? 6 weeks?

Chris H Laing
03-02-2009, 07:52 AM
I havent thought about it yet...seems like everyones doing 6 weeks so I might do that. Maybe 4 weeks regular, 1 week test, 1 week back off. Something like that might work well. Thoughts?

Steven Low
03-02-2009, 08:10 AM
I havent thought about it yet...seems like everyones doing 6 weeks so I might do that. Maybe 4 weeks regular, 1 week test, 1 week back off. Something like that might work well. Thoughts?
Testing comes after active rest but before the next cycle. It's nice to see you've gained some strength nearing the end of a cycle, but that's not always the case. You can work max training in near the end anyway if you desire, but you should do the actual maxing after supercompensation.

Chris H Laing
03-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Testing comes after active rest but before the next cycle. It's nice to see you've gained some strength nearing the end of a cycle, but that's not always the case. You can work max training in near the end anyway if you desire, but you should do the actual maxing after supercompensation.

After the testing week, should you do another back off week, or just jump back into a new cycle?

Steven Low
03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
After the testing week, should you do another back off week, or just jump back into a new cycle?

Why would you do another back off week?

You're only working up to 1 RM or maybe 3 RM if you don't want to. That's not going to be taxing at all on your body.

Chris H Laing
03-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Gotcha. I was just thinking, not in terms of whether you would be taxed from the week or not, but whether you would be taxed from the whole cycle or not. Sort of a way to control volume I guess...but you've probably forgotten more about this than I know (for now... :cool: ) so I'll see how what you say works out for me.

On the training front,

Had very little to eat today, which isnt good, only had around 150g of protein, inclduding a 46g protein shake pwo, which sucks because I usually try to get around 200-250g protein on workout days. O well, one day wont mess things up to bad.

And I'm going to start tracking my (hopeful) weight gain over the next couple months, taking me through the end of this SSC, and then going on for a cycle or two of my new thing.

Todays morning bw (taken after a pee, before a shower and breakfast) - 135.6# ugh I've lost some weight from what I was at, so I need to start eating more. I'ma start by adding 2 glasses of milk a day, plus eating more carbs post workout...we'll see how it works.

Chris H Laing
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Pro - 205g

skill training today-

6x30 sec on/50 sec off face to wall HS w/ wrists within 2 inches from the wall

3x15 on/25 off/15 on/25 off straddle assisted OAEL

Got some decent holds on the straddle OAEL today on both arms. Right arm is a little stronger than the left, but thats to be expected. The one thing I think I could do to make me hold it longer is to move my assisting hand slower off the ground. I kinda whip it up when I feel im in a good position, and that needs to stop cuz i think its throwing off my balance.

Really happy with the progress on this so far.

Chris H Laing
03-07-2009, 08:35 AM
pro - 150g on the nose!!!

joint mobility

skills -
free standing handstand attempts
6x1:00 on/1:00 min off

straddle assisted OAEL
3x15 on/25 off/15 on/25 off

Free standing handstands for any decent amount of time are still a long way off, but the elbow levers are definitely coming along. I can hold maybe a 3 second one with my right arm, and it definitely feels in control. The left arm is maybe a second or two, but its kinda just a quick balance until I fall. Im hoping the lower arm work will strengthen my forearms so that I can hold it for longer.

lower arm -
sledge twists
3x5 alternating arms

rear levers
2x8 alternating arms

The sledge twists (http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/lever.html) are pretty hard, and I wasn't able to keep my hands at the same place for all 3 sets. Right arm is a little stronger than left, but that was expected. Rear levers (http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/lever.html) are hard to, and I feel they will have a decent carry-over to the wrist strength needed for planches, because the wrist is in a similar position. I'm hoping these will help alleviate the sharp pain I feel when training planche on pllts.

Good day, now I'm off to rest.

Chris H Laing
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
pro - 154g

Rest Day!!!!!!

Starting my new program in one week. Also, my CoC grippers are supposed to get here tomorrow, so I can start on my path for the #3 (extremely long term goal)

Chris H Laing
03-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Fuck yea!!!!!!!!!!!! 136.2# this morning!!!!!! I'm fuckin gaining weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I'm not noticeably fatter at all, so it must have been muscle.

I'm so happy!!!!!1 Todays gunna be a good day.:D

Chris H Laing
03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
pro - 251g

So the steady state cycle is finally over. The first four weeks on the program were pretty good, but the last four were pretty useless and boring. I even loss the vigor to post my workouts up.

The only thing I have noticed myself get stronger in is the back lever, which I can hold in a straddle now, but everything else is about the same as it was at 4 weeks in. I cant hold an adv tuck FL for very long, but I can hold a tuck one forever. I cant do full pistols, but pistols to my pllts are pretty easy.

I have even seen my HSPU strength regress, because before starting the SSC, I could do 2 HeSPU, and after 2 months of training them a couple inches from the
ground, I can no longer do a full HeSPU...just moving farther away from my goals...

So now I'm moving on to a Starting Strength-ish bodyweight strength thing...

A - HSPU negs, weighted pullups
B - weighted dips, FL pullups or pull thrus

Mon - A/B, powerclean
Tues - l-sit, conditioning, tricking
Wed - B/A, back squat
Thurs - l-sit, conditioning, tricking
Fri - A/B, deadlift

Did the first workout for it today...

Skills
face to wall handstand
6x0:30 on/0:50 off

tuck FL hold
48 sec, 12 sec

straddle assisted OAEL
3x0:15 on/0:25 off/0:15 on/0:25 off

Workout
HSPU negs
3x3

weighted pullups
10# - 3x5

power clean
115# - 5x3

Grip
Extensor Bands
#2 - 2x10 each hand

Pretty good workout today. HSPU negs were full rom, but I dont think I'm strong enough to keep working these yet, because after the first rep I just kinda fell. I'm gunna work HeSPU negs until I can do them for reps, then I'll build up some endurance with them, then move on to more rom HSPU's.

Had to kip out the top of the last two reps in the last set, but thats decent considering my one rep max chin is only 40#. Hopefully I can progress quickly with these. BTW these are pronated (away from you?) grip, and I feel much weaker in these than in the weighted chin, but I feel like pullups will have more carry over to the front lever.

Power cleans were easy, just picked a weight I knew I could do, will do 125# next time.

Chris H Laing
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Got my grippers today. CoC guide and sport, and, sadly, I can close both of them easily. I'll be ordering the trainer tonight, and will just work with these two for grip training for the time being.

This is actually pretty cool though because my hands are a lot stronger than i thought they were :D

Steven Low
03-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey steven, since my SSC is over, I'm starting a plan with FL as a goal, and I'm gunna use weighted pullups to help bring up my strength, and I have a question about progressing with them.

Today I did 3x5 with 10#, but I had to kip the top of the last two reps of the last set to get my chin over. Should I try progressing in weight when I do them again on friday, or should I do 10# again and try to get all reps pretty strict?

There's three ways you can approach this.

1. Move up weight.
2. Stay at the same weight.
3. Move to 5x3 and up weight to 20-25 lbs.

It really depends on your frequency. If you can handle a linear progression I would go with #1. At your current ability I would try to do pullups at least 3-4x a week to help grease your motor patterns to help increase strength quicker.

Otherwise, I would be more aggressive and alternate 3x5 with 5x3. It doesn't really matter if you miss a few reps here and there as long as you're getting stronger.

Chris H Laing
03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
pro - 229g

Skills
Got so excited today about working with the grippers, that I forgot all about skill work. Oh well, one day isnt missing much.

Grip
Store gripper
2x10

CoC Guide
1x15

CoC Sport
9, 8, 7

Pony Clamps
3x5

Workout
Ab wheel rollouts - knees
5x5

KB juggling
15 min

Good day. Need to get some harder grippers though. I would like to have a gripper that I can only close 5 or 6 times before hitting failure. For my work sets, I'm going to do the set to failure with my left hand first, cuz its weaker, and then do the same amount of reps with my right, so I can try to balance out my hands. For the pony clamps, I just squeeze the thing as hard as I can for 5 reps each time.

Ab wheel rollouts were decently hard. I'm gunna do these instead of l-sits, because my friend and I have a bet on who can do a full standing one first.

KB juggling is fun (in a hard way) once you get used to it, but it took me a couple minutes. Today I just worked on the two handed flip, which is decently hard, but once I got it down I could go forever.

Sweet day today. Feeling fine, eating great, training well.

Chris H Laing
03-11-2009, 11:49 AM
pro - 250g

Skills
face to wall handstand
6x0:30 on/0:45 off

tuck FL hold
50 sec, 10 sec

straddle assisted OAEL

Workout
weighted dips
35# - 3x5

FL pull thrus - tuck
3x3

deadlift
225# - 3x3

Grip
extensor bands
#2 - 2x15 each hand

Today was a great day. Felt really great throughout the workout. Weighted dips got hard by the last set, still doable, but i felt like the weight was gunna slip out from between my legs...i need to get a weight belt.

FL pull thrus were decently hard. Theres a huge sticking point right as i get about parallel to the ground. Held the tuck fl for a second on the way up and on the way down.

Was gunna do squats today, not deadlifts, but i videoed my form on a warmup set and it was absolutely atrocious. I will be hardcore stretching my hammys for the next two days in the hopes that they will be loose enough on friday to squat.

Chris H Laing
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I've been having some stomach problems for the past week, and it got so bad today that I ended up having to leave school. I think it might be too much protein in my diet, even though I dunno if thats actually possible. Taking in around 225g protein on average a day is getting pretty close to 2g/lb of bw, so maybe its just too much.

I'm gunna start by cutting out my pwo whey protein shake, and I'm just gunna have a glass of whole milk and some kinda fruit. I'm also gunna be cutting down on my eggs in the morning. I've been having 4 fried eggs every morning for the last week or so, after moving up from 3 a day, so i'm gunna take it down to two gets for breakfast and see how it works out.

I hope I can still gain weight without all that extra protein...

Chris H Laing
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
pro - 195g...i think my proteins gunna have to be around this level from now on due to my stomach thing from the earlier post

Joint mobility

Skills

1 finger assisted OAEL

Grip
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
2x10

CoC-S
8, 7, 7

forgot pony clamps...

Workout
Ab wheel rollouts - knees
3x5

KB juggling
10 min

Like I said I was feeling sick today, but it went away for a while, so I decided to do a workout. I was rushed for time though, which is why I only did 3x5 ab rollouts, and why I forgot to do pony clamps.

Had some decent FSHS holds today though. They werent hollow at all, but I was still up there. I took some videos that I might try to get uploaded sometime to get some criticism. Also, finally moved onto full assisted one arm elbow levers and have about a sec hold on each arm.

During KB FUN TIME, I finally got my one handed flips down, and the H2H flips. This is fun stuff.

Chris H Laing
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
pro - 219g

Skills
face to wall handstand

assisted OAEL

tuck FL hold
60 sec

Workout
HeSPU Negs
3x3

weighted pullups
10# - 3x5

front squat
85# - 3x5

Grip
extensor bands
#2 - 2x15 each hand

Handstands felt good like always. I moved the FL holds til after ths OAEL holds, so I wouldnt be so tired for the OAEL and it payed off. Held a 2 sec OAEL with the right arm, and got my assisted hand off the ground a couple times for the left. Really happy with the progress I'm seeing with this skill.

HSPU's are the bane of my existence. I cant believe I've regressed on them so much. I cant even control a negative all the way to the ground right now. I'll half to keep working on it.

Weighted pullups were easy. Moving up to 12.5# or 15# next week.

I am pretty much incapable of squatting right now, so I went back to using my WL shoes, and I'm gunna work on front squats because they require and build more flexibility. Eventually Ima try to move away from the WL shoes and do them barefoot, and then switch to HB back squats to put up some heavier weighted.

And I stretched afterwards today!!!!!!!!!!1

All in all a sweet day.

Chris H Laing
03-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I think i have pretty much fucked up my insides for good. I dunno what i did but I am in constant pain now. I'm constipated all the time, and have no idea what to do. I feel like it might be the milk, so I'm cutting that out. I'll just have to find another way too get enough calories to grow.

I hate my shitty digestive system.

Chris H Laing
03-14-2009, 09:54 AM
pro - 160g...so little but I do feel better-ish today

Skills

1 finger assisted OAEL

Lower Arm
sledge lever
3x5

rear lever
2x8

store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
2x10

CoC-S
4, 4, 3

pony clamps
3x5

Shitty digestive system aside, I feel ok right now. I think its the milk thats been screwing me up so much. No milk this morning, much less abdomen pain right now. Everything I eat still screws me up a little bit, but hopefully thatll pass after a while with no milk.

Workout was good today. Had some good handstand holds, and got maybe a 3 or 4 sec R-OAEL. L-OAEL was really off today though. Dunno wuts up with that. Still happy about the R-OAEL though. I have a video that ima try to put up later today.

Chris H Laing
03-14-2009, 07:55 PM
And heres a video of my best handstands from today and thursday of this week.
Some of them are decent -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHSYG97KnI

Chris Salvato
03-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Re: Handstands

You should learn how to needle. It will help your HS out a bunch. Start by putting your hands on the ground. Next, lift one leg straight up over your head keeping the other on the ground (or close to it if you aren't that flexible). This will naturally pull your hips into place if you lean forward. This will then allow you to gracefully pull your other leg up. It will be hard at first, like most things, but it is really useful in learning to be balanced while inverted with at least 1 leg over your head.

Like everything else in gymnastics, it works for some, not all. Let me know if it helped you out!

Steven Low
03-15-2009, 01:45 AM
1. Heads out too much. Barely see your fingers in your peripheral vision.
2. Push your shoulders into your ears.
3. Pull your belly button towards your spine -- will help tilt your pelvis a bit posteriorly which should eliminate the arch.

Overall, not too bad.

Blair Lowe
03-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Holy crap, that is a lot of protein for your size. What's the rest of your diet like? Ever think about if you are lacking in digestive enzymes and stuff?

How much milk were you drinking and how long did it take you to ramp up to it? Did you drink milk before? It doesn't sound like you are intaking milk a lot for your protein needs but are intaking protein shakes.

Any sweetners in the protein shakes like sucralose, aspartame, etc? Some people react badly to it and if you have been hammering them perhaps it is just a matter of time. I do remember reading something about sucralose killing stomach bacteria.

Are you having enough bowel movements? Yeah, I didn't want to ask but it had to be asked. Enough plant fiber or oil ( fish oil helps I figure seeing as I don't eat a lot of fiber in my diet ).

Do you eat a fair amount of carbs and fat or are you fairly low on those?

Hmm, for BW and rings mastery, being light and skinny is a must with that kind of height. However, maybe you just dislike being a beanpole.

Chris H Laing
03-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll continue to work on my handstands every day using your suggestions.

In regards to gaining weight...I'm back down to 135 so I lost my pound during this week. I've been looking at some online calculators and it says I need to eat like 2500 calories to maintain, so I'ma try to eat about 2800 to 3000 a day. Unfortunately I'll have to stop low carbing it for a while. From now on its fruits at every meal. In zone proportions, I'm gunna aim for something like 25P, 15C, 50F. If I end up being able to handle more fat down the road, I'll up it some more.

Now Im off to go eat

Chris H Laing
03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Rest day

25P, 20C, 60F - 2230cal

Feeling a little full, but not having any stomach pain like i was before. Overall feeling good. Hoepfully I can keep putting on a lb a week with this new eating plan.

Recovery
Contrast Shower
2x1:00 hot/ 1:00 cold on both front and back

Chris Salvato
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
god i hate contrast showering...

was your soreness that bad?

Chris H Laing
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
god i hate contrast showering...

was your soreness that bad?

I wasnt sore at all, I just like the feeling haha.

--------------------------------------------------

24P - 22C - 50F - 2139cal

Skills
face to wall handstand

assisted R-OAEL, straddle assisted L-OAEL

tuck FL hold
56, 4

Workout
dips
+40# 2x5, 1x4(f)

FL pull thrus
tuck 4x3

deadlift
235# 3x3

Grip
extensor bands
#2 - 2x15 each hand

Recovery
PWO stretch
15 min

PWO cold shower
3x0:30 sec front and back

Pretty shitty day outside, good day in the gym. Got my first full wrist pushup, and then did 5 more before my wrists felt a little sore.

Fixed my OAEL positioning so I'm less hunched over and my arms is pressed more into my side than my stomach. Worked well for the R arm, but the L needed some adjustments so I went back to the straddle for it.

Dips were hard-ish today. I felt like I should have been able to do them all, but I guess not. I think the missed rep was mental though, because I had already psyched myself out about how hard it was gunna be, so on the last rep I tried some kind weird kip thing right from the bottom, instead of taking it slow, and iit mess me up. I'll get it Friday, and if not i'll switch to 5x3 for dips.

Added a set to fl pull thrus. Gunna get it up to 5x3, then make it 5x4, then 5x5, up to 5x8, then move on to advanced tuck. Gunna work the same thing with HSPU negs.

Deadlift is the real shiner today. 230# used to be my 3rm, and today I got 5 lbs over for 3x3. Thats a decent PR i'd say. The very last rep was kinda ugly though. Not bad back rounding, but my back was definitely not as tight as I would like it to be. Grip almost failed on the last rep to.

Also, today i ordered the ironmind dip belt and the CoC-T so i can get both my dips, pullups and grip stronger. I think I can definitely hit 40# for 3x5 without having to hold the dumbell in my legs.

james forshaw
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
My intake today was only at the time of posting, I definitely made up the deficit with my last meal! You must remember that I'm cutting for 28 days straight before going back to a maintenance routine, hence the low intake.
It must be a lot of fun shovelling that lot down you, you must be one of those genetically gifted people who can eat anything and stay ripped to shreds. Nice going with the dipping, so far superior to the bench press.

Chris H Laing
03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
25P - 20C - 50F

Skills

assisted OAEL

Grip
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
2x10

CoC-S
10, 7, 6

Workout
ab wheel rollouts
3x5

Had to kinda rush through the workout today. During FSHS practice, I did a partial rom HSPU, which is kinda cool. I feel like training the HS holds and HSPU negs is definitely bringing my HSPU strength up fast.

The new elbow positioning im using in OAEL is kinda painful on my hip bone, but it makes it a lot easier to balance. I just need to find a happy medium between the two.

The CoC-S is getting to easy too easy to close, so I have to use more sets with the CoC-G to tire my hands out first. Hopefully the CoC-T will get here soon, so I can get some more productive work sets in.

Ab wheel rollouts are not hard on my abs at all, but for some reason my shoulders hurt during them. I dunno...

Now I'm off to chow down on some salmon and then its off to work.

Chris H Laing
03-18-2009, 05:17 PM
28P - 20C - 50F

Skills
face to wall handstand

assisted straddle OAEL

Adv tuck FL holds
played around

Workout
HSPU negs+
4x3

pullups
+15# 3x5

FS
95# 3x5

Grip
extensor bands
#2 - 2x15 each hand

Felt like crap all today. Dunno why. Just not a good day. And yet I got all 3 sets of weighted pullups pretty easily.

The hspu negs+ is just a little version i came up with to help me gain more strength to get my head off the ground, where i am weakest. I lower down as normal, and when my head touches the ground, i let it rest there for a second, then push the ground down as hard as I can. I didnt break the ground on these sets, but I figure eventually I will and that will be a HSPU.

FS weight was really easy, but I think i finally found the right foot position to help me keep my torso upright.

Besides feeling shitty today, it was a good day. Also got my dip belt after getting back from the gym, so on friday, those dips are mine.

Chris H Laing
03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
got my dip belt after getting back from the gym, so on friday, those dips are mine.

Turns out my mom was just kidding with me...its not coming til tuesday next week.

-------------

26P - 20C - 50F

Skills
12 min FSHS attempts
3 good handstands

Felt a little off. I did this much later than I usually do, so i think I was a little worn out.

Grip
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
3x5

CoC-S
11, 10, 7

11 is the most I've done with this one in one set, but I'm supposed to be doing 5-8 reps. I need my new gripper to come soon.

sledge lever
3x5

Hard stuff. Hard to quantify though, pretty much just go as far down the handle as i can, which isnt very far right now

PL holds
20x3 sec

Done on the floor, wrists were the limiting factor

Decent workout today. I've moved stuff around because i feel like I might be doing too much skill work before workouts and burning out on it. Now its gunna be OAEL first on mon,wed,fri, followed by 3x wall handstands. FSHS work will be on tues,thrus,sat. KB juggling will only be one day a week, sat, and pl will take the place of ab wheel. I figure if i can do a full planche a standing wheel will be a piece of cake.

Chris H Laing
03-20-2009, 01:33 PM
15P - 12C - 20F

Skills
assisted straddle OAEL
3x15sec

wall HS
3x30sec

Workout

dips
+40# 3x5

I'm pretty confident that I wont be able to hit 45# for 3x5 on wednesday next week, so I'm gunna move to 5x3 with 45#

FL pull thru + neg
tuck/adv tuck 5x3

im doing the pull thrus in tuck FL, and now i added an adv tuck FL neg on the way back down, much harder, killed my grip

front squats
105# 3x5

had trouble sucking in my abs today, did a lot of butt-sticing out during the last set

Recovery
pwo stretch
10-15 min

Good workout today. Some guy came up while I was doing the fl pull thrus on my rings and asked if he could try them, jumped up into support position, did a dip, went for a second and did this wonky thing with his shoulder, and might have dislocated it...

Chris H Laing
03-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Saturday - Grip Day
Week 2

25P - 25C - 50F

Skills
free handstand attempts
12 min - 4 good ones

btw, a "good one" is a fshs attempt that is 10 sec or longer, or one that i felt i was actually in control of while I was up there

Workout
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
2x10

CoC-S
12, 9, 9

another PR on this, my grip is definitely getting stronger, but I feel like my forearms arent recovering well enough during

pony clamps
3x5

sledge levering
3x5

getting stronger on these to, feels good to make progress

Good grip workout today. Got a slight pump in the forearms. I have now decided that I wanna work on card ripping, but I'm gunna wait til I can crush the CoC-1 for reps, or maybe even the CoC-2 before i start tearing, because as it is right now I can only tear 10 cards at once.

Also played around with BLs today for the first time in a couple weeks, and Ima use them as my "core" work. I feel like the BL will have good straight body strength carry over to the FL, and BL is a pretty cool skill in and of itself.

Chris H Laing
03-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Rest Day
Week 2

cheat day - 6 zone perfect chocolate bars, 12P, 15C, 14F, 1260 cals

Didnt do anything physical today, but decided to implement a cheat meal once a week to maybe help with my gut problems which seem to be coming back, and possibly get a few more calories in on my off day. It tasted good, and I felt pretty full afterwards, and my gut pain has significantly gone today since the meal.

My dip belt and new gripper come on tuesday, so I'm pretty excited.

Chris H Laing
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Monday - HSPU Day
week 3

20P - 16C - 30F

Skills
OAEL
assisted straddle 3x15sec

finally found the right elbow position for these. Held the right arm for like 8 second, and the left for about 2, but it still felt solid

wall handstand
3x30sec

Workout
HSPU negs+
5x3

these felt really good today. Every rep was nice and slow

pullups
+15# 3x5

these were good too, moving up to 17.5# next time, cuz i'll have my dip belt

front squats
115# 3x5

think i'm finally getting the hang of front squats, didnt have to slouch forward on many of the reps this time around

Recovery
PWO stretch
15 min

extensor bands
#2 2x15

Good workout today. I need something softer to land my head on during the HSPUs because after the fifth set I have a slight headache from resting on my head...

Other than that everything was good. Had to kip out the very last rep on the 15# pullups, but I'm still gunna advance next workout.

Chris H Laing
03-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Tuesday - Grip Day
Week 3

25P - 20C - 35F

cut the fat down today to see if it helps my stomach problems and it really does, but hopefully im still eating enough to at least maintain

Skills
free handstand attempts
12 min - 4 good ones

Workout
CoC-G
1x10

CoC-S
18, 12

18...wtf!? Where did this come from? This is a huge PR.

CoC-T
parallel 3x3

Can only close this one once with each hand, so opted to close it to parallel for more reps

BL holds
one-leg 3sec each side x 3

these were fun, hopefully soon I'll have the full thing

adv tuck 6sec x 2

had to switch to these because the one legs were getting below parallel

Fun workout today. Also got my dip belt. I cant wait to strap that 45lb plate the belt and start doing some dips.

Chris H Laing
03-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Wednesday - FL day
Week 3

27P - 20C - 35F

the lower fat is much better for my stomach, little to no pain today, and im still getting around 2000 cals a day

Skills
OAEL
asst straddle 3x15 sec

wall HS
3x30 sec

Workout
dips
+45# 5x3

Used my dip belt today. I like it a lot more than using a dumbell. The weight feels more centered around my body, and I dont get cramps in my hams and calves from squeezing the weight...also these were hard, the last rep on the last two sets was sooooooooo slow

fl pull thrus + negs
tuck/adv tuck 5x4

these fried my arms, i had this feeling in them after the last two sets that actually hurt, and i had to shake them a lot to make it go away, also killed my grip

deadlifts
205# 2x5

went for 3x3 at 240# today and could barely brake 240 off the ground, which isnt bad considereing 245# is my old 1rm...one thing I need to remember to do though is to squeeze my chest up before starting the lift, it makes things much easier

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

extensor bands
#3 2x10

Chris H Laing
03-26-2009, 03:01 PM
thurs - grip day
week 3

Skills
None

didnt feel like doing anything today...

Workout
CoC-G
2x10

CoC-T
past parallel 4x3

I'm gunna be crushing this one in no time at all, felt hard but easy at the same time

CoC-S
9, 13

strange that I got more reps on the second set, i think maybe my hands were tired from the strength work for the first set

And thats it...

Felt tired and had a headache all day. Eh...

Chris H Laing
03-27-2009, 12:49 PM
fri - hspu day
week 3

Warmup
Joint mobility
10 wrist pushups
wrist stretches

Skills
straddle OAEL
3x15 sec

hit a pr on this for the right arm, got around a 10 sec hold, got a left arm hold of 3 or 4 sec which is also a pr i think

wall handstands
3x30 sec

Workout
hspu negs+
5x4

these were getting hard by the end, but the first couple sets felt really strong and easy

pullups
+17.5# 3x5

felt good, the weight belt feels better than the dumbell for these as well

front squat
125# 3x5

some significant loss of form on the last rep of the last two sets, my elbows were pretty much pointing to the floor, but i got the weight up, maybe go to 130# next time instead fo 135#

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

extensor bands
2 bands 2x20

Good workout today. Tiring. Now I'm off to hang out with some friends, go see I Love You Man, and then I have a mulch sale im volunteering at tomorrow morning.

Chris H Laing
03-28-2009, 03:50 PM
sat - mulch day
week 3

Workout
carrying and loading mulch out of trucks
5 hours -- 14.75 tons of mulch

and several hours later...

CoC-T
5 singles

Yea...you read it right. Me and two of my friends and one of their dads unloaded and carried 590 50+ lb bags of mulch...its a buttload of mulch.

I'm so exhausted, and my whole body hurts. It started out with a lot of snatch gippish deadlifts, and then turned into some cleaning to like a bear hug type thing, and then some sloppy versions of that, and eventually i was just picking them up anyway i could.

And once we got them off the truck, I carried them by alternating right shoulder, left shoulder, back squat style, and zercher style.

I am soooo beat.

Chris H Laing
03-29-2009, 07:59 AM
sun - rest day
week 3

Rest day. Im actually not sore at all today, which is surprising because I was hurting yesterday.

Also, still 137 today, which means I didnt gain any weight this week, so something needs to change. I'm thinking I need more rest days, but Ima see this out for another week, and maybe if I gain next week it means i dont need to change anything.

Chris H Laing
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
mon - fl day
week 4

Warmup
Joint mobility
10 min

wrist pushups
1x10

these just keep getting better, almost easy now

Skills
straddle OAEL
3x15 sec

Got a 15 sec hold on the right arm today, first set, just pushed right up into it and held it forever, got a good 5 sec hold on the left side, these were great today

wall handstands
3x30 sec

Workout
dips
+47.5# 5x3

these felt amazing, the only hard rep was the very last one of the last set, felt strong!!

fl pull thrus + negs
tuck/adv tuck 5x5

first two sets were pretty good, but then my grip started to fail me, and these got ugly fast. I think maybe 3x5 is the most I should be doing on these right now, next time I'm gunna do both the pullthrus and negs with adv tuck, work from 3x3 to 3x5, then maybe add weight...

front squats
125# 1x5...

yea, I think i was too tired from the rest of the workout for these, worked up to what i thought was 135, did the worst looking, back bendiest set in my life, then realized it was only 125 on the bar...I'll be dropping the weight back to 95 next time to try and fix some form issues

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

I hate having such a weak squat compared to everything else. Soon i'll be dipping with what I can front squat...and I'm not gaining weight...life sucks.

...not really though...

Chris H Laing
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM
tues - grip day
week 4

Warmup
joint mobility
10 mins

tiger pushups
knees 1x10

trying to use these as some elbow prehab since it seems to be working for my wrists

wrist pushups
1x10

Skills
free handstand attempts
12 min - lotsa good ones

Workout
CoC-G
2x10

CoC-T
past parallel 3x3

closed it on a couple reps with my right hand, but didnt close it once with the left

CoC-S
13, 9

didnt feel so hot on these, my hands felt weak today

The handstands were amazing today, but the gripper work wasnt. For the handstands, it seems like every other one I kicked up into I could hold for a decent amount of time, and I starting walked around on my hands, and even trying some assisted one arms. The OAHS is gunna take some time though.

Grippers were weak today, but I'm not too down about it because of the handstands.

Now I'm off to glory days, and then its back home to watch some heroes

Chris H Laing
04-01-2009, 02:05 PM
wed - hspu day
week 4

Warmup
joint mobility
10 min

elbow pushups
knees 1x10

wrist pushups
1x10

these felt the best today, so so smooth and perfect

Skills
oael
straddle 3x15 sec

wall hs
3x30 sec

Workout
hspu
neg+ 5x3

widened my hand placement a little, and finally got off the ground on the first attempt to push back up!! I love progress

pullups
20# 3x5

only had to kip at the top of the very last rep, going up to 22.5# next time

deadlift
215# 2x5

grip started failing on the last rep of both sets, maybe I need some chalk

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

extensor bands
2 bands 2x20

Good day today. Felt pretty strong throughout. Happy with the progress on the pullups and hspus.

Chris H Laing
04-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Yesterday - did a Maxick muscle control workout, which is kinda just flexing and relaxing different muscles at the same time, and it made me really tired.

And today -

fri - fl day
week 4

Warmup
joint mobility
10 min

tiger bend pushups
1x10

wrist pushups
1x10

Skills
oael
straddle - 3x15 sec

right side is starting to feel really strong in the straddle position, so i think next time

wall handstand
3x30 sec

Workout
dips
+50# 4x3, 1x2 (f)

I know I can hit this next time, and then I'll go back to 3x5 with 40# and try and work my way up to 50# for 3x5

fl pull thrus + adv tuck negs
3 x adv tuck/tuck/tuck

this means I did the first pull thru in adv tuck, then the second two in regular tuck, which was decently hard

back squats
95# 3x5

took the advice Brian D gave me about foot placement, found a good position that allowed for a nice atg squat, and built up to an easy 95# today.

Good workout today. Made the switch from front squats to back squats because I feel like i will be able to get stronger and move heavier weight in the back squat position, and I now have the flexibilty to get into a hb atg position.

Chris H Laing
04-04-2009, 09:43 AM
sat - grip day
week 4

Warmup
joint mobility
10 min

elbow pushups
knees 1x10

wrist pushups
1x10

Skills
free standing handstands
10 min - 6 good ones, 25 sec PR!!!!!!!

psyched about this PR. And about the PR number of good handstands. Loving the progress here

Workout
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
1x10

CoC-T
past parallel 3x3

these felt so hard with my left hand, i think I need to work on my technique for it maybe

CoC-S
13, 4

left hand was so wiped out by this point that I was happy to get above 10 on the first set

CoC-G - overcrush
2x10 sec

tried this to help my left hand in the final mm of closes with the gripper, because thats where I keep failing lefty

Good workout today. I think my grip is getting weaker with my left hand. Maybe its just tired... I dunno.

Got a video of my PR handstand that I will be gracing youtube with in a couple days.

Chris H Laing
04-05-2009, 06:51 AM
sun - rest day
week 4

Weight is up to 139.6 this morning!!!!!

Been drinking a lot of skim milk over the last couple days, because I need more calories but cant handle fat well, and it seems to be working.

Cant wait to get back in the gym on mon and start working on my high bar squats.

Chris H Laing
04-06-2009, 01:23 PM
mon - hspu day
week 5

Warmup
joint mobility
10 min

elbow ups
knees 1x10

wrist pushups
1x10

Skills
oael
straddle 3x15 sec

wall handstand
3x30 sec

Workout
hspu
3x2 + 1 neg

started out going for 5x4 negs, ended up get a full hespu on the first try at pushing back up (i knew these things were a good idea) and then went back down, and was able to bust out one more, but sadly not a third, so I turned it into sets of 2 hspu and then a neg, still big PR!!!!!

pullups
22.5# 3x5

felt great and strong on these, finally getting into the groove of weighted pullups

hb back squats
105# 3x5

still pretty easy, focused on pushing my knees out all the way through the motion

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

extensor bands
2 bands 2x25

Chris H Laing
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Went to an intro judo training class tonight. Fun stuff. Learned the hip throw and a leg sweep throw. Both a lot of fun. I'm thinking I might have found my new sport.

Now I'm working on fitting my training schedule around it. The class is on mon, wed, fri, so I'm thinkin I change my work days to mon, wed, sun, and change my workout days to tues, thurs, sat. Grip work would come after the regular workouts on tues, thurs, sat.

If I end up doing the judo, I will definitely not be gaining any weight, and will just have to keep eating enough to maintain. I would rather be the strongest in the 135 weight class, than the weakest in the 160 weight class.

Chris H Laing
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
So I need some opinions from anyone who checks out this post.

I am probably gunna start doing judo as my sport, most likely on wed and fri nights.

I'm wondering if I should stick to the program I'm doing right now for 3 more weeks, as that will be the end of the cycle, or if I should switch my programming up to support and fit around judo.

Just looking for a little insight...

Chris H Laing
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Jumped on my new judo based program today.

wed - power clean day
week 1

Warmup
didnt do...

Skills
didnt do...

was so ready to start my new thing that i forgot about all my wamrups and skills and stuff and jumped right in

Workout
power clean
work up to 150# for a single (PR)
2 singles at 135#
3 singles at 120#

got this rep scheme from greg everett in the weightlifting for crossfitters article, happy with this as 150 is 10 lbs more than my last max effort, but this wasnt nearly as max effort, i prolly have 165 in me

hspu
1st set - 3 hespus (PR)
2nd, 3rd set - 1 hespu, 1 attempt (f), 1 neg

happy with the pr, but not at the expense of the other sets, i'll fix this next time i do these

fl pull thrus + adv tuck negs
2 x adv tuck/adv tuck/tuck
1 x adv tuck/adv tuck/tuck(f)

i fought for the last pull thru for a good 30 sec before letting go, so it was kind of like a static tuck fl hold

Grip
thick bar deadlift holds
95# 3x30 sec

the last set might have been slightly short, so I'll stick with this weight for next time

card tearing
10 cards x 4
10 cards x 1 (f)

card tearing is fun!!!!1 i cant wait to work my way up to a full deck, i need some research on proper form for this though

Recovery
extensor bands
2 bands 2x30

forgot to stretch also...

Good workout. Fun. Cant wait for judo tonight.

-------------------------

Judo
conditioning/warmup
10 min

hip throw variations - headlock, under front arm, behind back
30 min

dont know the actual names of these throws yet, but I'm working on it, all these throws have the exact same foot and body work, aside from where the opponent is grabbed

pin variations - headlock, arm across face headlock, arm across face straddle headlock
20 min

each pin variation build off the one before it, so we moved through the three in a sequence

hip throw to pin combinations - choose a hip throw, then move through the pin variations
20 min

Fun day today. I think I am progressing best out of the group of friends I go with, as I am probably in the best shape out of them all, and the strongest. I have really weak friends. Only thing is they all have about 20 lbs on me...

If anyone wants to help me learn the proper names, that would be very much appreciated

Chris H Laing
04-10-2009, 04:35 AM
Woke up today feeling like i was hit by a train, and while i was lying there, bloody and broken, the train backed up over be so they could see what they hit.

I'm gunna have to get used to doing a workout and judo in the same day. Not sure why it killed me though because judo isnt a very physically challenging class. It is kinda late at night so that might be why.

Anyway, rest day today.

Chris H Laing
04-10-2009, 11:46 AM
fri - snatch day
week 1

Warmup
joint mobility
10 min

wrist pushups
1x10

Skills
one arm wall handstand
2x15 sec

left arrm is much weaker than right on this, so i limited it to 15 sec for both arms instead of making them do uneven work

free handstand holds
3x15 sec - 8 tries

felt good, had this asian guy staring at me out the whole time though....

Workout
hang power snatch
95# 5x3

i think ima change this to one arm dumbell snatch, and when i get strong enough in the movement switch to a barbell

hspu
1 every 30 sec - 4 rounds, 5th round(f)
2x3 negs

my hspus are so inconsistent, some days i can get 3 in a row, some days i can barely do 1, frustrating

pullups
+20# 2x5, 1x4(f)

dropped the weight a little because im going to a new gym with bumper plates and stuff for the oly lifting stuff, and the only pullup bar they have is really skinny, its really hard on the fingers

Grip
plate pinches
2 10#s 3x30 sec

easy, maybe try 4 5# plates next time

CoC-T
5 singles

couldnt close it with the left hand at all, and only got one or two closes with the right, then used the other hand to help it along, and did a slow neg

Good workout today. Tiring. Judo tonight. Then rest til monday.

Judo
1.5 hrs

warmup
10 min

kuzushi instruction
10 min

this is just the act of pulling your opponent towards you and off balance

kuzushi practice
30 min

kuzushi to sunagi practice
20 min

we combined the under arm hip throw (sunagi) with the kuzushi steps wwe learned earlier, works much better

kuzushi to goshi practice
20 min

same as above except with around the neck hip throw (goshi), also worked a lot better

Fun night tonight. I liked the way the guy tonight taught us, because he was more about the basics than the cool moves. I wish I had learned uzushi before all the throws.

Also im starting to get some of the names down :cool:

Chris Salvato
04-10-2009, 03:45 PM
fri - snatch day
Skills
one arm wall handstand
2x15 sec

Once you can get like 20-30 sec on each arm this skill becomes fairly useless, in my experience. I was doing 60 sec holds and there was almost no translation to my OAHS. Best results I got were doing HS and then leaning over gradually. Probably will help you a bit more since you have a hard time with regular handstands right now...but just thought i would share...

hspu
1 every 30 sec - 4 rounds, 5th round(f)
2x3 negs

my hspus are so inconsistent, some days i can get 3 in a row, some days i can barely do 1, frustrating

I had/have the same problem. Right now I am trying some density work to fix it. Seems like it's working but its hard to tell because im doing such high intensity -- i have probably been overreaching for about a week now...just shootin out an idea.

pullups
+20# 2x5, 1x4(f)

dropped the weight a little because im going to a new gym with bumper plates and stuff for the oly lifting stuff, and the only pullup bar they have is really skinny, its really hard on the fingers

I found doing weighted PU and Dips to be a lot easier when I didn't use plates at all. DBs work much better in a belt. Though when I get my 2xBW dip you better believe I am going to have 4 plates hanging from my belt just to show out :D

I like what you're doing here, though!

Chris H Laing
04-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Once you can get like 20-30 sec on each arm this skill becomes fairly useless, in my experience. I was doing 60 sec holds and there was almost no translation to my OAHS. Best results I got were doing HS and then leaning over gradually. Probably will help you a bit more since you have a hard time with regular handstands right now...but just thought i would share...

Yea i was doing easy 30 sec 2 arm handstand holds against the wall, so i figured i would make it a little harder and maybe build up some strength that i can use for the oahs later down the road

I had/have the same problem. Right now I am trying some density work to fix it. Seems like it's working but its hard to tell because im doing such high intensity -- i have probably been overreaching for about a week now...just shootin out an idea.

Haha today was an attempt at doing the same kind o density work you were doing, because i saw it in your log. Funny you should mention it...

I found doing weighted PU and Dips to be a lot easier when I didn't use plates at all. DBs work much better in a belt. Though when I get my 2xBW dip you better believe I am going to have 4 plates hanging from my belt just to show out :D

I dont get how to make a duumbell work in a belt

I like what you're doing here, though!

Mucho gracias.

And heres (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRJnxSXOFw) the video of my PR 25 sec handstand, for anyone interested.

Steven Low
04-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Need to work on that handstand technique. :p

Push the shoulder backwards and up, head in slightly, tighten the core a bit more.

Chris Salvato
04-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Steves right...focus on Pushing the ground hard and reaching toes to the sky.

DB in a belt is easy. Hook the chain on loop #1. Then slide the chain THROUGH loop #2 and attach it back onto loop #1. It gives you a nice chain loop that you can wrap around a DB. Much better, imho.

Chris H Laing
04-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Need to work on that handstand technique. :p

Push the shoulder backwards and up, head in slightly, tighten the core a bit more.

Steves right...focus on Pushing the ground hard and reaching toes to the sky.

Is there something wrong with doing handstands in the old fashioned arched way? I've always found it to be more comfortable as opposed to the straight up and down one.

Steven Low
04-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Is there something wrong with doing handstands in the old fashioned arched way? I've always found it to be more comfortable as opposed to the straight up and down one.
If you're interested in learning anything decent in gymnastics, yes.

It's not as comfortable because you haven't gotten used to the "better one" because it requires better shoulder mobility and body control. It also makes it easier to hold handstands for an absurd amount of time with very little effort.

There's no question in my mind which develops better overall technique, body awareness, etc. but if you want to do the other one don't come complaining to me when you're having problem learning some other bodyweight movements... because everything builds off each other.

Chris H Laing
04-11-2009, 10:28 AM
If you're interested in learning anything decent in gymnastics, yes.

What kind of gymnastic skills does it help, aside from obviously hspus?

I just ask because I have no desire to learn anything on high bar, parallel bar, or vault, and iron cross would probably be the farthest i would ever go on rings, and i'm only really interested in basic flips from floor routines.

And off topic on whats above...

I have decided, in the effort to put on a little size, that i am switching the weighted pullups and dips to 3x6 or 3x8, to support a little more hypertrophy after reading some stuff on crossfit and other forums, and because i am still after some size.

Squats, power cleans, ect. are gunna be kept low to keep lower body hypertrophy down. HSPU and FL is also gunna be kept lower reps strenght work to build the neurological patterns and increase neural efficiency (i dont really know what im talking about im just trying to sound smart :cool:)

Steven Low
04-11-2009, 01:23 PM
What kind of gymnastic skills does it help, aside from obviously hspus?

I just ask because I have no desire to learn anything on high bar, parallel bar, or vault, and iron cross would probably be the farthest i would ever go on rings, and i'm only really interested in basic flips from floor routines.

Pretty much any pressing exercises. Dips, HSPUs, planches, pushups, etc.

Also, ANY tumbling and vaulting.

If you don't believe me just ask the guys over at GB. :) It's pretty much insane how much handstand work carries over to everything.

I have decided, in the effort to put on a little size, that i am switching the weighted pullups and dips to 3x6 or 3x8, to support a little more hypertrophy after reading some stuff on crossfit and other forums, and because i am still after some size.

Squats, power cleans, ect. are gunna be kept low to keep lower body hypertrophy down. HSPU and FL is also gunna be kept lower reps strenght work to build the neurological patterns and increase neural efficiency (i dont really know what im talking about im just trying to sound smart )

I would say just eat more, and increase the frequency of your strength work.

But if you want to do that no one's stopping you.

To be honest, I like high rep work as injury prevention... strengthens all the muscles (prime movers and stabilizers) around the joints as you're fatiguing everything. If you haven't done high rep work in a while it might be a good idea.

And yeah, you are just trying to sound smart... but I'm not gonna correct it because that would be useless...

Chris H Laing
04-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Pretty much any pressing exercises. Dips, HSPUs, planches, pushups, etc.

Also, ANY tumbling and vaulting.

If you don't believe me just ask the guys over at GB. :) It's pretty much insane how much handstand work carries over to everything.

Well thats good enough reasons for me. I guess I'll start working on straightening up my handstand.

I would say just eat more, and increase the frequency of your strength work.

I would love to be able to eat more, but my mom is already going to costcos 3 times a week, and we probably cant even afford more food right now. And dueto my schedule I cant add any more workout days

And yeah, you are just trying to sound smart... but I'm not gonna correct it because that would be useless...

But i was close right? I know it has something to do with the CNS :D

Chris H Laing
04-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Gained another lb over the week. Up above 140 now!!!! So exciting.

I think, instead of going up to 160 like i originally planned, ima go up to around 145lbs, so i can be the heaviest in my weight class, instead of the middle in the next one up.

George Mounce
04-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Drink more water every day and I bet you'd gain more. :p

Chris H Laing
04-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Drink more water every day and I bet you'd gain more. :p

I have been drinking a lot of water lately :cool:

And I've finally figured out my workout schedule for the next month or so. Its gunna be pretty stupidly intense, so its only going for 3 weeks, then a back off week, with a testing week after 3 months (thats the plan at least). I

Its also gunna include 3 metcons a week to get me in fighting condition, but I'm gunna try to slowly build up to it over the course of the next three months.

Pretty excited.

Chris H Laing
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
mon - power clean day

Warmup
joint mobility
10 min

elbow pushups
1x10

wrist pushups
1x10

Skills
one arm wall handstands
2x15 sec each arm

free handstands
3x15 sec

Strength
power clean
work up to 155# single (PR)
2 singles at 135#
3 singles at 120#
failed on the first attempt at 155#, but made the second one pretty cleanly

HeSPU
1x2(f)
2x2
1x2(f)
screw hspus, i hate them, they suck, im so inconsistent with them, god d!$@$# mother f%$#@^#@

tuck FL pullups
3x5
pretty easy, next time i'll try adv tuck

Metcon
4 rounds for time of:
15 burpees
10 db swings, 55 lbs
5 pullups
~8 min
sad, pathetic time, but so tiring, metcon sucks which prolly means i need more of it

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

I. am. beat. Metcons suck. Judo tonight.

Also figured out I can do the flag (from beastskills) for lie 2 or 3 seconds pretty easily, cept my bottom arm is slightly bent. I have a picture that Ill try to put up soon.

---------------------------------

Judo
watch belt tests
1 hour

niwaza
15 min
this was fun, i got one of my friends in a triangle lock i saw on the ufc, and i got another in the pin we practiced a couple days earlier, and got a thumbs up from the instructor :D

watch randori
15 min
it was cool to see the higher level guys fight eachother

Got my gi today also. Cant wait for the next class.

Chris H Laing
04-16-2009, 06:16 PM
tues - rest day

wed - rest day

Judo
1.5 hrs
worked on seoi-nage more, had a really good teacher this time, my form is def improving, also practice getting into position to throw the opponent, my hands are beat up

thur - squat day

Warmup
joint mobility
elbow ups
wrist pushups

Skills
free handstands
felt off on these today, have some crazy bad doms in my shoulders still from the metcon on mon

judo wall squats
5x10
this is supposed to help me get down below my opponents center of gravity better for my seoi-nage

Strength
back squat
115# 3x5
pretty easy, need to work on hip flexibility, right hip was sore during

FL negs
one leg (PR) 4x2
hells yea, my first try got about a 1 sec hold in the one leg FL, each side, so now I just need to build some endurance there to meet my goal!!! next time 3x3 alternating the starting leg

HSPU negs
3/4 rom 3x3
these are tough, my shoulders were already pretty fried, and this just added to it, done with my hands on boxes, and if you added another box to each side itd be full rom

Fun day today. FL was a happy surprise. Played with my little cousins all yesterday and today, and its wearing me out. Judo tomorrow, and a light(ish) workout.

Chris H Laing
04-18-2009, 01:03 PM
fri
judo
1.5 hrs

sat
judo
2 hours
randoried for the first time today, holy shit, got my ass kicked, also got my first drop seoi nage in an actual fight, also learned a leg sweep

workout...sort of
felt pretty tired and beat up after judo this morning, but i still wanted to make it into the gym, so i decided to take it easy...didnt work out

DB clean and press
40# dbs 3x3
sucked, harder than it shoulder have been

assisted one arm pullups
70# assist x 5
50# assist x 3
also sucked, also way harder than it should have been

then called it quits...

Recovery
progressive cold shower
15 min
needed this, felt much better afterwards than before

Chris H Laing
04-19-2009, 03:59 PM
sun - rest day

Needed it, feeling beat up, prolly gunna do some foam rolling tonight. Workout, metcon, and judo tomorrow. Big day.

Down to 139# today though :(

Chris H Laing
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
mon - power clean day
week 2

Warmup
joint mobility

Strength
power clean
95x3
115x3
125x3
135x3 (PR)
felt good and snappy

push press
85x3
95x3
105x5 (PR)
also pretty snappy

FL pullups
adv tuck 3x3
afterwards was told not to bring my rings back...gunna have to change around my schedule...again

Metcon
5 rounds
185# deadlifts
knee high box jumps
1 round is 15 sec work, 45 sec rest for both movements
DL-43 BJ-52
this was a fun one, got complimented on how strong I was for throwing around 185# so easily

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

I have a feeling my back is going to be extremely sore for the next couple days, prolly my hammies too

Chris H Laing
04-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I have a feeling my back is going to be extremely sore for the next couple days, prolly my hammies too

I was right...pretty bad DOMS in both hammies for the last couple days.

Yesterday - no judo, had an english project

Today -
thurs - squat day

Warmup
joint mobility

Strength
hb back squats
125# 3x5
might do ascending next time to try to get the weights higher

dips
+35# 3x5
gunna try ascending sets on these as well

FL negs
one leg 3x3
alternated l-r-l, r-l-r, l-r-l, felt good, last rep was a little fast

Metcon
4 rounds for time:
front squats, max reps, 95#
7 burpee pullups
28 reps, 8:27
modified from CFFB, no boxes as my gym, so i did burpee pullups instead, and since I already squatted today, switched to front squats, wasnt so much of a metabolic workout but made me feel dizzy and sick

Chris H Laing
04-24-2009, 03:19 AM
*16 hr fast*
didnt even realize, wasnt hungry at all, i feel like i eat so much right now that i could not eat for like 2 days without getting hungry

Messed up my neck yesterday, dunno how. But it hurts and I'm not going to the gym or judo today because of it...thats two missed judo sessions in a row, balls...

Hopefully itll feel better in a couple days, aka by monday so I can get back in the gym and on the mat for judo

Chris H Laing
04-25-2009, 08:08 AM
sat - rest...sort of
week 2

Decided to do some card tearing to see where i stand...

Workout
card tearing
work up to 20 cards (PR)
pretty easy, but the cards started falling apart as I was tearing, probably have at least 25 in me

extensor bands
green 3x12

Neck feeling better, still not full range of motion, but its progress. Pretty confident Ill be back in the gym by monday

Chris H Laing
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
sun - rest
week 2

finally finished my english project, and my neck is feeling a lot better, still not 100% though, getting back into the workouts and the judo tomorrow

Chris H Laing
04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
mon - powerclean day
week 3

Warmup
joint mobility
DROM

Strength
power clean
95#x3, 115#x3, 125#x3, 135#x3, 140#x3 (PR)
felt good and quick

push press
85#x5, 100#x5, 110#x5 (PR)
started getting hard around 4th rep, still felt good

chinups
10#x5, 15#x5, 20#x5
pretty easy, doing chins because the bar is too short for a comfortable pullup grip for me

Metcon
3 clean and jerks on the minute for 10 min - for every rep not completed, 5 burpees during rest time
115#, no missed reps
i felt like i was gunna die after this one, did power cleans and split jerks, could have cleaned it all day, jerk was the limiting factor

Recovery
pwo stretch
15 min

extensor bands
green - 3x12

Hard but fun workout today. Feeling really tired right now. Judo tonight.

------------

Judo
1.5 hrs
need to work on my kazushi, but my footwork for seoi nage is getting a lot better, and groundwork is definitely my forte, got my first legit armbar today, legs around the other guys neck an everything :D

james forshaw
04-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw
Metcon
On the minute for 10 minutes:
5 x 50kg (110lb) Hang Power Clean & Push Press

This seemed fine on paper, but it was actually a very good HIIT workout - 15s of hard work, and 45s of rest. The traps feel it more than the shoulders. Worked up a huge sweat, a real satisfying workout.

Checking out the CrossFit football metcons?

No actually, I made this one up! Wanted hard work/rest in a 1:3 ratio. On reflection I really should have done Quarter Gone Bad again...

Chris H Laing
04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
thur - squat day
week 3

Warmup
joint mobility

Strength
HB back squat
115#x5, 125#x5, 135#x5 (PR for HB)
felt good, finally getting comfy in the bottom of a hb squat

dips
+25#x5, +35#x5, +40#x5
last rep was the sloooowwwwest dip i have ever done

fl...
negs
one leg 2x2

pull thrus
adv tuck 3x3

Shitty day today, starting to get weird stomach pains again, didnt do metcon due to stomach pain

Chris H Laing
05-01-2009, 12:10 PM
fri - power snatch day (soon to be deadlift day)

Warmup
joint mobility + DROM

Strength
power snatch
worked up to 95# for a single, did a couple
dont like these they feel so unnatural

one arm snatch - barbell
worked up to 55# with both hands
these were fun, but i cant use enough weight for them to be useful right now

HeSPU
2x2, 1x2(f)
2x2 is a tie for my PR, and i think I could have had the third set if not for all the snatch work before

FL pullups
flat back tuck 3x5
too hard to do advanced tuck on a pullup bar, my knees keep hitting it, so this is flat backed, with my knees as far in as possible

Metcon
10, 8, 6, 4, 2
115# powerclean
pullups
6:18
hard on the grip, pullups in rounds 10 and 8 were broken...i am ashamed :(

Decent day today, next time its gunna go FL pullups, HSPUs, deadlifts, metcon. I just dont like power snatches, and cant see myself progressing very far with them

Gunna try to get back into gymnastics again to get my backflip down, and then start working on some other fun flips and stuff. I want a round off back handspring back tuck

Chris H Laing
05-04-2009, 02:06 PM
mon - power cleans, judo
week 4 - half volume

warmup
jump rope, joint mobility, DROM

strength
power clean
125#, 135#, 145# x 3 (PR)
felt good, pc might be my favorite lift

push press
115# x 5 (PR)
really really easy

FL negs
1 leg r, 1 leg l, adv tuck x 3
i like this combo, and it keeps the side balanced

metcon
"5 min cindy"
5 rounds + 5 pull, 3 push
this one is a killer for being so short, never done cindy before but now i can imagine the suck, my pushup endurance is horrible, last two rounds of push were broken up

Good workout today. Kept the intensity up, but cut the volume down by at least half on everything, because i feel like im getting a cold.

Chris H Laing
05-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Last night:

Judo, 1.5 hrs

medium groundwork
got my first legit armbar, and on a bluebelt, not a whitey like myself, got my ass kicked by a 230# green belt, i didnt have a chance

medium randori
went against the national champ in his age group (i think its like 14) and got my ass handed to me, he has such a strong grip its hard to break, he hit me with like 8 throws, i got one takedown on him, then went with my friend, pulled off the throw you always see in movies where you fall back and roll and throw them behind you, pretty cool

Still fighting off the cold, lotsa crap in my throat, i need more vit c!!!

Steven Low
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Still fighting off the cold, lotsa crap in my throat, i need more vit c!!!

Vit D.

Also, Judo looks fun. :p

Also also, your strength is improving fairly rapidly like we knew it would after you stopped program hopping. Good work.

Chris H Laing
05-06-2009, 03:27 AM
tues - rest
week 4

Tryed to go back to the gymnastics class i used to do to work some more on back flips and to start working toward a back handspring, but the guy who does it wasnt there. Ill try again thursday.

Also also, your strength is improving fairly rapidly like we knew it would after you stopped program hopping. Good work.

Thanks Steve. I should have just listened to u from the beginning :p

Chris H Laing
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Supposed to do a workout today, but got hi with something pretty bad this morning. I feel like crap, have a lot of stuff in my throat, headaches and all that good stuff, so rest today.

Chris H Laing
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
So I lied...i didnt do a real workout today, but i didnt completely rest.

Did a lot of kb stuff today. Messed around with KB high pulls (not SDHP) with both kbs. Pretty easy with 1 pd, not so easy with 1.5. Also played with some windmills and turkish get ups. Also started playing with clean and jerks with the 1 pd because i plan on implementing LCCJ once a week to help with my judo (if gant says it it must be true!)

I think im gunna make saturdays a day to play with my kbs, get stronger at the high pulls, windmills, turkish getups, and then finish it off with a quick 5 min LCCJ. I'll try it saturday if im feeling better.

Chris H Laing
05-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Still not feeling better, but I got a good amount of food in me today, so maybe things will start clearing up before tomorrow.

I;ve lost about 2 pounds while being sick, but the plus side is my abs are pretty much popping out of my stomach. I want my 2 lbs back.

Chris H Laing
05-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Starting to feel a little better.

Experimented with planches on my parallettes today. Got the tuck PL easy peasy, which is weird because it used to be really hard for me and hard on my left wrist. No such problems exist anymore. But the real cool thing is the adv tuck PL. Hit it for about two seconds, which isnt much, but seeing as I had trouble holding the regular tuck PL before, this is pretty big for me. Might have to include a little PL training once a week.

On a less exciting note, tuck PL pushups are still out of my capabilities at the moment, but I'm sure with a little bit of focused training I'll bring up the strength quickly.

Hopefully feeling good enough for the gym by monday.

-----------------

Goals -
10 sec free standing handstand
5 wall HeSPU
3 sec one leg FL
270# deadlift, 230# squat, 165# power clean
by july 1.......

Chris H Laing
05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Still sick.

All this down time has given me a chance to reevaluate my goals, and I think I would rather be stronger in the squat and power clean right now over the front lever. I feel like im not making progress on the FL anymore, and maybe getting stronger overall, even if adding some bodyweight, is the thing I need.

And even though I've been making good progress by not switching, I think I'm about to make a switch back to SS...let the program-jumper hating begin

I just wanna get through some novice gains before I start programming too much. I know I havent exhausted novice gains yet because my power clean is higher than my squat (WTF??) and at the moment I dont even have a 700# CFT.

I'll still continue judo twice a week, and warm up with FL holds to keep some strength in the FL position. Also I'm gunna do more handstands.

That is all.

Steven Low
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Progress always comes in spurts. If you're not making progress in front lever you probably need to switch up exercises or just keep pluggin and adding sets/time to isometrics. THE best exercise, IMO, is the eccentric from inverted hang to hang taking 8-10s total time. Scale it to your skill level (tuck, straddle, 1/2 lay, full, etc.).

Please do not switch programs.

If you need to add in more exercises and take some out that's fine by all means. You can do full body routines for 4-5x a week if you keep the volume down.

Chris H Laing
05-12-2009, 07:41 AM
No worries Steven. I think that lapse of judgment was brought on by my medicine. I'm not switching programs, but I'm going to switch mine up so I'm squatting more. Thats the only change.

Also, I didnt realize the invert to hang was supposed to be so slow, I've been doing it for 5 or 6 seconds. I think I'll go back to adv tuck, get the 10 sec each time. I'll also be doing front lever work 3 days a week, switching between holds, invert to hang, and pullups.

But I'm definitely not going back to SS haha. Dunno what I was thinking when I posted that.

Chris Salvato
05-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Front Lever and Planche take a long time. You need to be patient and hammer away at them slowly. It gets very easy to think you aren't progressing, but trust me, if you are doing the movements you are progressing. I promise.

Chris H Laing
05-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Good to know Chris. Thanks for the motivation.

So we've got a couple days to catch up on...

Wed
no workout, but played soccer with a few of my friends, and one of my friends new puppy. Its a german shepard, only 9 weeks old. Fun stuff.

Thu
no workout again, still felt a little sick, played ultimate frisbee with friends, and once a bunch of people left we played 500. Lots of running, jumping, and falling. Ran a couple all out sprints. Faster than all my friends, but not as fast as I'd like to be. More sprints are in order.

Today - medium day
tumbling
1 hr
got my back tuck down on flat ground again, just need to get more comfortable with it, started working on a round off also, i want a round off back tuck

MU's
5 singles, failed last one
had to kip the shit outta these, but its a work in progress, i got a video of one of them that i might post

KB LCCJ
5 min - 1pd
i like this, its good conditioning, but it doesnt knock you on your ass as hard as some other metcons do

Decent day overall, cant wait to start getting into more complex tumbling, need to get the basics first though.

Chris H Laing
05-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Sat and Sun
rest days

Feeling pretty sore, which is strange because I didnt think I did much on Fri. Maybe muscle ups took more out of me than I thought. And speaking of muscle ups, heres the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqX9HUoB914) of mine. After I get a couple kipping ones in a row, I'll move on to the strict muscle up.

Chris Salvato
05-17-2009, 08:55 AM
yeh i remember when I first did muscle ups -- my whole back was sore -- they are harder than they seem....

You have to work on full extension at the bottom...really nice work tho, man!

Chris H Laing
05-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Chris, and yea i definitely need to work on full extension, I just dont think I'm strong enough with false grip yet, but I'm sure itll come with more muscle up work

Chris H Laing
05-18-2009, 04:21 AM
So while I was sick, I decided to start to incorporate some balance work into my workouts in the mornings before breakfast. I'm gunna cycle through handstands, elbow levers, and possibly headstands, and if I get a slackline I'll do some of that too.

So anyway...

balance
face to wall handstands
6x :30 on/:45 off
worked on proper alignment, trying to get as hollow as possible

the rest of the workout will be around 1 oclock...

workout
push press
105# 3x5
pretty easy, last set was better than the first two, concentrated on active shoulders at the top

hb back squat
105# 3x5
easy, i feel more flexible after my 2 week layoff than before...

weighted chins
15# 3x5
decently hard, but i'll still go up next time

30-20-10
-250m row
-pushups
5:10
short and sweet, my pushup endurance sucks

sport
judo
1.5 hrs
foot pain kept me from randori, but i still worked technique and ground work, finally got my friend thomas on his back

Chris H Laing
05-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Just wanted to throw this out there, but I've had a pain in the bottom of my feet on and off for a while now. Not sure what it is, but it makes it hard to walk, and itsnt so much painful as just obnoxious and bothersome. It feels like the bottom of my foot is really really tight. Just wondering if anyone know what it might be...

Chris H Laing
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
5-19

balance
one arm elbow lever - one finger assisted
3x :15 on/ :25 off each side
right side felt good, left not so much, just cant get it comfortable

thats all for now...tumbling tonight...or not. Tumbling canceled due to the pain in the ass pain in my foot. Rawrr

Steven Low
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there, but I've had a pain in the bottom of my feet on and off for a while now. Not sure what it is, but it makes it hard to walk, and itsnt so much painful as just obnoxious and bothersome. It feels like the bottom of my foot is really really tight. Just wondering if anyone know what it might be...
That's waaaaaaaay too vague.

Need pics of where it hurts... what exercises hurt, etc.

Chris H Laing
05-19-2009, 05:24 PM
That's waaaaaaaay too vague.

Need pics of where it hurts... what exercises hurt, etc.

The pain is in the arch of my foot, closer to the inside than the outside. No exercises hurt it, but it bothers me when I'm just standing on it, and I can really run or jump around.

Chris H Laing
05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
5-20

rest day

Kinda sore today, probably due to coming back after two weeks. My abs are probably the sorest part of me right now, i think its a combo of back flips and push presses, anything overhead always kills my abzz for a few days afterwards...

Power cleans, squats, and presses planned for tomorrow, plus metcon, and tumbling because the gym I use is gunna be closed on friday when i'm planned to go, so friday will probably be a rest day.

I think having more rest days the first week back is probably a good idea anyway...

Brian Solar
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Rest is good, I always get PRs when I rest a couple days after a rough cycle.

Chris H Laing
05-21-2009, 03:29 AM
Haha yea but I am still very much in the novice phase, its pretty much like im starting SS all over, only with some different exercises, due to all the program switching I've done. I have training ADD and it really fucks up my progress...

Chris H Laing
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
5-21

balance
free hs
60 sec total
lots of 1 and 2 sec holds with only a few longer ones, focused on keeping a straight body line

workout
power clean
5x3 worked up to 115#
really easy weight, easing back into things

hb back squat
115# 3x5
up 10 from last workout, still pretty easy

press
60# 3x5
started off light, tried to get form down, pretty easy

5-4-3-2-1
OA DB snatch, each side, 45lbs
jumprope x 20
4:59
wasnt as hard as i wanted it to be, wish i could do double unders

Good day. Tumbling got cancelled today so hopefully ill be going tomorrow, but no promises. I think I'll be including more jumprope in metcons, so i can get good at it and get to double unders.

Also, for anyone whose curious, my warmup consists of light jumproping working on skills and joint mobility and drom, and i do warmup sets for every exercise. My cooldown is usually some light static stretching. (just letting everyone know since im not writing it anymore)

Chris H Laing
05-22-2009, 04:26 PM
So today was an unintentional rest day. Hung out with a bunch of friends after school, and missed gymnastics, then hung out longer, and missed judo. Also, nutrition wasnt good today, but Im good about nutrition for weeks at a time so one day wont hurt. Plus it was a fun day so it was worth it.

Workout tomorrow, squats, dips, and deadlifts. Should be fun.

Chris H Laing
05-23-2009, 10:28 AM
5-23

workout
hb back squats
125# 3x5
so easy compared to thursday, power cleans make for hard squats

dips
35# 3x5
easy enough, good starting point

deadlifts
185# 3x5
also a good starting point

amrap 8 min:
3 clap pullups
6 clap pushups
9 box jumps, 20"
8 rounds + 3 pull, 6 push
messed me up, pushups are the bane of my existence, clapping pushups are worse

Good workout today. Might be doing some cliff diving in the evening, but most likely ill take my jeep to the dealership to get the window fixed.

Chris H Laing
05-24-2009, 04:36 AM
5-24

Rest day...

Also, lost almost two pounds in the last week. :( Down from 141.4 to 139.2. I need to eat more i guess.

Chris H Laing
05-25-2009, 10:01 AM
5-25

Workout
push press
110# 3x5
felt nice and snappy

hb back squat
135# 3x5
pretty easy, need to focus on pushing legs apart

weighted chin
20# 3x5
still very doable

15-12-9
30lb DB thruster
burpees
7:44
thrusters suck, burpees suck, so this really sucked, fried my shoulders

My dad came with me on this one. He used to be so strong, but his job has had him out of the gym for like 4 years. He used to have like a 425 DL, 295 bench, and a 335 squat at a bw of 170-180. I think ill set his numbers on the squat and DL as goals of mine for the very distant future.

Chris H Laing
05-26-2009, 04:16 PM
5-26

Grip
card tearing
10, 15, 20(tie PR), 25(f), 23(f), 22(PR)
22 cards was hard, getting closer to half a deck

Sport
tumbling
1 hr
started working on BHS, got BHS, did some back tucks to keep it fresh

Pretty proud of myself for learning the BHS in less than an hour. Back tucks are feeling good, just need to get them more comfy on matless ground. I'll spend a couple more sessions on BHS and back tuck, and then I'll add aerials to the mix, and start working on a BHS back tuck.

Rest day tomorrow

Jon Brody
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Chris,

Where in VA do you train/live? I went to high-school in McLean...lived right on the border of McLean-Langley....

Chris H Laing
05-26-2009, 05:05 PM
In burke. Mclean is pretty close, maybe a 30-40 min drive. I have a lot of friends who live in that area and who go to school there as well.

Chris H Laing
05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
5-28

workout
power clean
work up to 125#x3
easy weight, focused on whipping my elbows around the bar

hb back squat
140# 3x5
tired after power cleans, so i only went up 5 lbs, starting to get a little hard

press
65# 3x5
easy, worked form

21-15-9 reps
box jumps
k2e
3:52
not as much of a burner as i wanted it to be, grip really hurt after

Didnt feel very good going into the gym today, but left feeling great. Everything felt good, especially the squats. Focusing on driving the knees apart really helps a lot.

Tumbling tomorrow after school, then off to my dads apartment because we're doing habitat for humanity on saturday. Only downside is im missing judo again.

Chris H Laing
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
5-29

sport
tumbling
1 hr
did some dental work on my back tucks and bhs

back tucks on squishy matt
3x5
got em all in the first, most in the last, middle set was lacking...next time

Back tucks are almost automatic for me on flat ground now. Tried bhs on flat ground but freaked out and turned halfway through and landed on my wrist weird, so layed off them for the rest of the time.

Also started doing back tucks off of an extremely squishy matt so it eats up a lot of jump, so you have to jump harder and tuck faster. It feels like good back flip conditioning.

Chris H Laing
05-30-2009, 01:44 PM
5-30

Last night was amazing. We went to a brazilian restaurant in DC called Fogo de Chao, which is an all you can eat meat buffet, except the waiters bring the meat to you. You have a card that has a red and green side, and when the green side is up, waiters stop at your table and put all different kinds of meat on your plate. I outate both my dad and my brother, who each had two plates, while I had four. We tried so many different kinds of meat, steak, pork, chicken, lamb, ribeye, sausage, pork ribs, beef ribs, and the list goes on. Amazing night.

Woke up this morning with another migraine. Made my morning hell.

Helped out at Habitat for Humanity for around 6 hours today. Second time back to the same site, and I worked on the same houses as last time...except this time I had to clean them. We had to scrape up all the dried paint and glue drops and stuff. It was very womanly. Then some heavy studs needed lifting, so we turned it into a competition to see who could carry the most. My brother, dad, and I all got up to 8, and then the foreman said it was dangerous to carry more so we had to stop, and carry only 3 at a time.

Also, as we stacked them up, I jumped on it a couple times at between waist and bellybutton height pretty easily. I wish I had a way to include high box jumps in my workouts. They're fun. Maybe during tumbling days...

Headache is still around though...

Chris H Laing
05-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Even with my headache and doing 6 hours of work today, I decided I wanted to get into the gym just in order to keep my progression up. So...

workout
back squat
145# 3x5
squatting with a migraine is one of the most painful things ever

deadlift
205# 1x5
used hook grip instead of mixed, hard on the thumbs, default grip from now on

no metcon...

Went with my dad again. I like when he comes because all the weight feels lighter.

Tomorrow im gunna start back up with regular foam rolling...my legs are so sore, and in places they have never been sore before.

Brian Solar
05-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I suggest using double overhand grip instead of hook grip for deadlifts. If you don't do these, your grip strength may fall behind.