PDA

View Full Version : Almond meal vs flour

Brandon Enos
11-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Anyone use almond meal (or anything similar) as a substitute for frying foods such as calamari, shrimp, chicken, chicken hearts (for us Portuguese out there)? How much similar to flour versions do they taste? Any changes you've found you need to make to recipes, for example, does almond meal need a different frying temp then flour, or whatever you've found?

Allen Yeh
11-25-2008, 10:19 AM
I tried almond meal instead of flour for a fried chicken recipe, but it didn't come out, all the almond meal just came off during the frying process.

I'm open to suggestions as well.

Grissim Connery
11-25-2008, 05:17 PM
open for suggestions hmm..

just use the blood of your enemies. that's paleo, right?

Nathan Stanley
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I tried to use almond meal for pan fried razor clams. I was devastated that I wasted a few fresh razor clams that I dug myself. I have made a fried chicken w/ pork rinds as a substitute for crackers or wahtever you use for breading. The Eades have a "Low Carb Comfort Food" cook book and I did like the chicken w/ pork rind breading. I feel fat just writing that.

sarena kopciel
11-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I use almond meal quite frequently but I too find that things come un"breaded" when frying. I have since reverted to baking the items. For example, I will coat boneless thin chicken breasts or fish fillets in a combo of egg/mustard and then place in pan and top with almond flour and any spices/herbs. I will drizzle under and over some coconut oil and bake. Hope that helps....

Garrett Smith
11-26-2008, 04:53 AM
I bake with the almond "breading" as well, high temp for more crispiness, around 400-450 degrees.

Ari Kestler
11-26-2008, 11:01 AM
If I dip my chicken in eggs before breading with almond meal it doesn't come off, I normally fry it in either butter or coconut oil on medium heat...never been a problem...

If you don't dip in egg...well then yeah...it's a problem...but it would be for flour too anyway...

Jason Tanner
11-27-2008, 07:24 PM
How about buckwheat flour? It's not exactly a nut flour but a fruit flour. I use it for fried fish. Turn's out ok.

George Mounce
11-29-2008, 05:46 AM
If I dip my chicken in eggs before breading with almond meal it doesn't come off, I normally fry it in either butter or coconut oil on medium heat...never been a problem...

If you don't dip in egg...well then yeah...it's a problem...but it would be for flour too anyway...

This man knows the cooking secrets. Egg dip is the key to good frying.

I suggest everyone watch Paula on the Food Network. Take everything she does, remove flour and sugar, substitute with something paleo and you can make almost anything that tastes wonderful.

Or, you could just come to my house. :)

George Mounce
11-29-2008, 05:46 AM
How about buckwheat flour? It's not exactly a nut flour but a fruit flour. I use it for fried fish. Turn's out ok.

Personally, if I'm going to use buckwheat its either in a baked good (brownies/pancakes) or I eat it as kasha.

Jay Cohen
11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Personally, if I'm going to use buckwheat its either in a baked good (brownies/pancakes) or I eat it as kasha.

Great looking baby.