PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Program Advice

Jake Dent
11-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Ok, so I'm looking at starting a hybrid style program. I'm looking to gain just a little mass (5-10 pounds...already posted this stuff in another thread, sorry if I'm boring you) I'm 5'9'' 169 and have been Xfitting for about a year. I'm a little burned out on the long met-cons, and have been having fun with heavier weights so the hybrid makes sense.
I usually recover fairly quickly, and have been doing the 3-1 schedule with no problem (I take a week off every 3 months or so). I have never done my own programming before, so any tips or advice would be appreciated. I tried to follow Gants template, but I may have missed some details or something and I don't want to neglect something or hurt myself. I picked the first weights by picking either something I like (cleans, front squat) or something I suck at (bench, shoulder press).
I should also say that I'm not too hard headed (usually) to rest when I need it.

WODs are cherry picked CF WODs from that week and increased in weight, shortened in time.

Mon- 3X6 Front Squats 3X6 Bench Press- WOD- L-sits, pulls

Tues- 3X6 Shoulder Press/ push press- Tabata push/squat

Wed- 5X2 Cleans 3X6 OHS- WOD

Thurs- Rest

Fri- 5X2 DL 3X6 Back Squat- Optional WOD- Ring work

Sat- WOD- 200s. 400s or 800s

Sun- Rest

Occasionally sub with 7X1 lifts
Also sub cleans with C&J

Andy Robinson
11-29-2008, 03:28 PM
try it, stick with it, monitor results, tweak as necessary...go for what you know.

Chris H Laing
12-02-2008, 03:31 AM
Looks good, but I would do DLs after back squats so your back isn't too fatigued. That might just be me...

Also why 3 sets of 6 reps?

Jake Dent
12-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Looks good, but I would do DLs after back squats so your back isn't too fatigued. That might just be me...

Also why 3 sets of 6 reps?

Good point about the DL and squats.

Why 3X6? No particular reason, I seem to like it though. Really, what it ends up being is 5 sets of 6 but the first two sets are fairly light for warm-up and the last 3 sets are "work" sets.
Feel free to offer suggestions, thanks!

BTW, this is my first full week doing this...I flipped Tues and Wed because my shoulders are a bit sore....other than that it's going pretty well. It's interesting getting into more heavy lifting as obviously my clean (for example) wasn't as high as it would usually be since I did it after OHS....