PDA

View Full Version : Intresting article from Lyle McDonald on Milk for training purposes

Allen Yeh
12-02-2008, 07:53 AM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html

On occasion I've used chocolate milk as a PWO drink, I'm semi- curious what the results would be if I just did that instead of my regular PWO shake for a month.

Garrett Smith
12-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Until I knew otherwise, I'd guess that the PWO milk studies were heavily funded by pro-dairy sources. I just got a big packet in the mail from some dairy foundation that was promoting milk as a sports drink, so slick it looked like the Gatorade folks were helping with the design...I think the NSCA sold the addresses to them...

Mike ODonnell
12-02-2008, 09:26 AM
That study has been around for a while....it's all about low fat cho milk with the optimal 4:1 carb-protein ratio...but always compared to gatorade alone. You could get the same effect with a scoop of protein powder in a gatorade drink....without all the mucus.

Dave Van Skike
12-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't believe in post workout nutrition.....it's all post workout or pre workout or whatever....

I do find a 8oz container of milk hits the spot better than gatrosol or any of the other industrial solvent based luminescent sports drinks.....plus milk is filling and keeps me from eating my arm off on the way home.

And....big nasty strong guys used gallons of milk before d-bol was available so the dairy council is a little late to the party.