PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics - why not?

Gittit Shwartz
12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm having a hard time explaining why I want to try alternative methods to treat helicobacter pylori infection rather than the 99% effective course of 2 types of antibiotics plus antacids that my GP offered.

What IS wrong with taking antibiotics, really? Do they do any harm that can't be rectified with a course of probiotics?

Arien Malec
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I honestly don't know if I'd want to mess with H. Pylori. Seems like a good case for the standard treatment to me, particularly if you are already on a low sugar, low GI carb diet.

Garrett Smith
12-05-2008, 11:30 AM
What IS wrong with taking antibiotics, really? Do they do any harm that can't be rectified with a course of probiotics?

That's a million dollar question right there. The bigger question is, do the ends justify the means?

If you're going to take them, do small(-ish) doses of probiotics during the course of antibiotics, ramping up to bigger doses of probiotics when the course of antibiotics are over.

I've personally decided to resort to trying a prescription antifungal for my tinea versicolor skin issue. I'll be doing the same type of probiotic plan as I mentioned above, plus a lot of liver support (Nizoral has a bad history with livers).

My ND buddy (who prescribed the antifungal) and I had a short discussion about this while talking about my issue. Natural remedies are great, but they sometimes lack the "punch" needed to really fix certain problems. Even I'm too lazy/busy to take this certain bath every day for a month to do the natural fix for my issue, so I'm going the Rx route.

Prescription drugs done for short periods with the intention of "solving" an issue (ie. H. Pylori or tinea versicolor) is the way they are used best, IMO.

Taking Rx drugs every day (for a condition likely caused by malnutrition/toxicity/lack of exercise) for the rest of one's life is not the best idea, and would more likely be dealt with better through a more "natural" route.

Mike ODonnell
12-05-2008, 12:17 PM

If used very infrequently....probably not. If it's a choice between 2 weeks of being very sick or 2 days....I think most people want option #2. However the body is a system designed to learn from stressors, hence it can build up stronger immunity with every short term exposure. So constant anti-biotics even with probiotics leaves the defenses still a bit weaker IMO.

If it's something you can live with and want to treat it naturally, I say it's your choice. If it's keeping you drastically sick and can't get on with life...then maybe time to rethink it.

Gittit Shwartz
12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks all for the very helpful replies.

FWIW, I've done a month of grapefruit seed extract + aged garlic + Kolorex several years ago (supposed to be a treatment for Candida). I didn't feel a difference from that protocol, if anything I felt worse. My dad and two siblings had to do the H. Pylori treatment several years before that, so I'd guess I've had it low key for a while too, and it survived this treatment.

In light of these responses and since it really is bugging me now, I think I will opt for antibiotics.

Thanks again.
G

Ari Kestler
12-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Add to the fact that the difference is take antibiotics solve the problem or don't and eventually get ulcers and maybe cancer from this bug. Once that happens all the homeopathy in the world isn't going to help.

Gittit Shwartz
12-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Does anyone know why antacids are part of the conventional treatment? Seems counterintuitive as H. Pylori itself lowers acid production.

Arien Malec
12-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I think it's primarily to help reduce the pain and irritation caused by H. Pylori. The orignal treatment was antibiotics + peptobismol (bismuth), which lines the stomach and helps kill the H. Pylori.