PDA

View Full Version : Ryan's Log

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ryan Brown
12-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm a 5' 8", 19 year-old sophomore in College at Appalachian State University. I'm an exercise science major who is frustrated with the curriculum. I was keeping a log at americanparkour.com and then briefly at Crossfit.com's message boards. I decided to move it here because I think it will get more/better attention from the local community.

I got into Parkour in early 2007 and started crossfitting in fall of 2007. I live in Raleigh, NC when I'm not at school. This past summer I trained and worked at CrossfitNC. While I was there I dabbled in BJJ. I also enjoy Wakeboarding and snowboarding when I have the opportunity. At the beggining of August I took some time off from CF to do starting strength, with great results. I drank the milk and ate a disgusting amount of food. I literally JUST finished SS and now I'm following the CF wod scaling up the load and scaling down the volume. I'm also using Rippetoe's texas method to work on my Press. Here's some stats:

Bodyweight: 173 (cutting at the moment)

Crossfit Total:885
Squat: 350
Press: 130
Deadlift: 405

Michael: 18:57
Murph: 38:12
Nancy:12:37
Fran: 5:00
Helen: 9:42
FGB: 326
Weighted pullup: +70 lbs
Snatch: 144 lbs

Sunday, 12/7/08

"Crossfit Total"

Got the results I listed above in my stats.

Ryan Brown
12-07-2008, 07:57 PM
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=464568#post464568

Hey, here's my old log at CF for anybody interested.

Ryan Brown
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Monday, 12/08/08

Rest Day

Due to my hectic schedule and my recovery needs, I decided today would best serve me as a rest day. Kind of dissapointed because the WOD was heavy singles on Clean and Jerk and I really wanted to hit those. Maybe throw them in before the WOD tomorrow.

Ryan Brown
12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Tuesday, 12/09/08

Texas Method

5x5 Press @ 115

Crossfit WOD

"Annie"

50-40-30-20-10
Double Unders
Situps

8:36

Those first 50 double unders were the best I've ever done in a workout. Once fatigue set in, form faded fast.

Ryan Brown
12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Wednesday, 12/10/08

Rest Day

I'm currently trying to figure out how to work some DL into my Texas method stuff. I'm also going to try to start squatting heavy once a week to stay strong in that lift. I'll post once I figure out just how to accomplish all that and still follow the 3/1 CF.com wods.

Chris Salvato
12-10-2008, 01:24 PM
You may want to go light on squats (like just warmup sets or something) on the days you aren't going heavy. Else, your motor pathways will get rusty and you will see stagnating progress, IMHO. Even if you just run through warmup sets one other time a week very quickly, i think you will see better results.

Just my opinion though...

Steven Low
12-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Do one heavy lift before your WODs. Should be pretty easy to do.

Ryan Brown
12-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Thursday, 12/11/08

Texas Method

3x3 Press @ 105

CF WOD
Modified "Nasty Girls"

50 Squats
7 Pullups
7 HSPUs
7 Pullups
10 Hang power cleans, 135 lbs

12:08

Ryan Brown
12-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Friday, 12/12/08

Crossfit WOD

3 Rounds for time:

50 box jumps, 24''
21 Deadlifts 225 lbs
30 pullups

19:57

Saturday, 12/13/08

Texas Method

Press 3RM

125 lbs

I'm unbelievably sore from the past 2 days of CF. The mainpage prescribed a 10k today. I did not do that.

Steven Low
12-14-2008, 09:01 AM
If you're sore for more than a week it might be a good idea to back off.

If I recall you're zoning to cut down on the fat so being a caloric deficit means you won't have the recovery capabilities you did on SS.

Ryan Brown
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Sunday, 12/14/08

Rest Day

I'm nearly as lean as I want to be. I feel like my fat loss has curbed a little in the past week. So, I've adjusted my to the following, according zone according to Robb wolf's advice:

18 Protein blocks
12 carb blocks
36 fat blocks

I deleted 6 carb blocks, and replaced each one with 3 fat blocks. So, i'm effectively doing a carb reduced zone, with 2x fat. I've only done it for 2 days and so far, it feels very good. I think that this reduced carb level should really push me through to the leanness I want. And, although I lowered my carbs in an effort to lose body fat, I don't plan on ratcheting them back up unless I need to in order to support my activity level. I will, however, bring my fat blocks up once I finish leaning out.

Steve, I'm keeping an eye on the soreness and I'm not hesitant to take extra rest days. My sleep has been fantastic lately (9.5 hours, 3 consecutive nights). I'm going to take a rest day tomorrow as well, because I've got 2 finals and then I'm driving back to Raleigh.

Chris Salvato
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
are you taking ZMA?

I recently started a ZMA cycle and i noticed dramatic increases in the quality of my sleep -- especially while im also on a 2-a-day cycle. After I started ZMA i realized most people on PMenu are on ZMA -- and Zinc and Magnesium are what Dr. G says most people are lacking.

Might be worthwhile to try it, imho. Anabolism is nice :P

George Mounce
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
are you taking ZMA?

I recently started a ZMA cycle and i noticed dramatic increases in the quality of my sleep -- especially while im also on a 2-a-day cycle. After I started ZMA i realized most people on PMenu are on ZMA -- and Zinc and Magnesium are what Dr. G says most people are lacking.

Might be worthwhile to try it, imho. Anabolism is nice :P

ZMA gives me the most wonderful sleep and takes my lucid dreaming to the next level. I love it!

Chris Salvato
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM
ZMA gives me the most wonderful sleep and takes my lucid dreaming to the next level. I love it!

Jesus, G...I am sure you can relate to my experience...

I used to be a lucid dreamer, then I lost it. I stopped dreaming pretty much all together. ZMA, recently, has made my dreams SO vivid though. I wake up believing they happened most times since i started supplementation.

I am still re-learning gaining control of my dreams, I am getting better at recognizing when shit is just OUTLANDISH but I have yet to take control of them.

It adds a whole new dynamic to sleep when you dream vividly -- its like going to an 8 hour long movie where you are the star :)

Ryan Brown
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I just take A LOT of peyote.

But seriously, I've never heard of ZMA. Is it just Zinc and Magnesium? In pill form? Where do I get some? Sounds fun.

Ryan Brown
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok, just did some research and found out all about ZMA. Where do you guys get yours from?

Chris Salvato
12-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Most people here use TwinLabs ZMA. I found BodyTech ZMA to have the same concentration of Zinc and Magnesium but it was about 35% cheaper....and obviously I am seeing the same benefit.

I get mine from The Vitamin Shoppe...but any major vitamin store should have it. Due to the findings in football players it has become quite popular.

Ryan Brown
12-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Monday, 12/15/08

Rest Day

Soreness is all but completely gone. Feelin' good and ready to hit it hard tomorrow. And, I've figured out a way to do BS and DL on Texas method while still CF-ing. I'll be doing 1 heavy and 1 light day per week, with each lift. If the volume seems to be too much, the WODs will be the first thing I cut back on.

Ryan Brown
12-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Tuesday, 12/16/08

Texas Method

5x5 Squat @ 310

5x5 Bench @ 170

CF WOD

21-15-12-9
Sumo DL High Pull 105 lbs
Wall Balls
Pull-ups

8:57

Chris Salvato
12-16-2008, 06:51 PM
very nice ryan. I wish I could work out like you.

stupid knee :P

Ryan Brown
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Wednesday, 12/17/08

Rest Day

SO sore from yesterday.

How is that knee coming along?

First Steve and now you. It looks like I'm next so I better be careful. Oh, and I picked up a bottle of ZMA today. How many milligrams do you take everyday? The bottle says 3 capsules daily, but I figured I'd ask you because it's in the companies best interest for me to use it up fast when I may not really need that much.

Chris Salvato
12-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Re: Knee

hah maybe you are next :P Nah, I had patellar tendinitis for years but let it just go thinking it would never get better or get better on its own -- dumb. Its one of the reasons my squat progress halted so abruptly. Muscle imbalances caused problems with my right hip and eventually the loading was so great it would even trigger sharp pain at the bottom of the squat....got so bad all of the core lifts aggravated it....under the Care of an ART therapist now and I can tell we are making progress -- baby steps though

Re: ZMA

Steve and I both follow the recommended dosage. I think thats the dosage that was tested on the football players, but im not sure. Probably best to ask Dr. G here.

Allen Yeh
12-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Recommended dosage for the win, in fact IMO the recommended dosage for women needs to be bumped up to be equal for the men.

Ryan Brown
12-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Thursday, 12/18/08

Texas Method

3x3 Squat @ 280

3x3 Bench Press @ 155

My Squat/Press recovery days on Texas method are supposed to be my heavy DL days, but I didn't have time to get to that. But, that's the plan right now. 3 days a week (M/W/F or T/R/S) on Texas Method for Squat and Bench/Press, with 1x5 heavy DL on the middle day. Then, WODs sprinkled throughout. If I find issues with recovery, the WODs will be the first to go.

Ryan Brown
12-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Friday, 12/19/08

Rest Day

Saturday, 12/20/08

I took a trip to Hickory, NC this weekend to go to a big party. Did a WOD at Crossfit Hickory. Lots o' fun.

"Helen"
3 Rounds:
400m run
21 KB swings (53 lbs)
12 Pullups

9:33 (PR)

Sunday, 12/21/08

Rest Day. Returned home from Hickory. My diet wasn't as tight as usual this weekend due to traveling. I'd say 1 out of 4 meals was pretty shitty. The rest weren't too bad. My sleep really suffered though. I got 6-7 hours all weekend. And Saturday night I drank a lot of alcohol. I should be able to get 10 hours sleep tonight and starting tomorrow I'll be back on track with the diet.

Ryan Brown
12-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Monday, 12/22/08

Texas Method
5x5 Squat @ 315

5x5 Press @ 110

Metcon
Max Rounds in 3 minutes, Rest 1 Minute
Repeat for a total of 5 intervals

3 Power Cleans, 95 lbs
6 Push-ups
9 Squats

Total:28 rounds

Ryan Brown
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Tuesday, 12/23/08

Rest Day

Still feeling sleep deprived. I'll try to catch up tonight. I'm thinking of putting some black trash bags over the windows in my room so that the sunlight doesn't wake me up at 10, like it usually does.

Ryan Brown
12-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Wednesday, 12/24/08

Texas Method
(Recovery Day)

3x3 Squat @ 250 lbs

3x3 Press @ 90 lbs

1x5 DL @ 345 lbs

I like placing my 1x5 of Heavy DL's on my recovery day. It seems to fit well, especially in regards to my schedule. The 3x3 of squat and press go by really fast, leaving me plenty of time for DLs.

Ever since this weekend I've been feeling tired. I got 8.5 hours sleep last night, however I woke up after 7.5 hrs, then went back to sleep. I think that interruption threw me off. The ZMA does seem to be doing the trick though. I've had dreams that I remembered for 3 nights straight. I may need to get a few 9 hr nights under my belt to feel good again. I look at Steve Low's log and see his sleep schedule is all over the place. I don't know how he performs the way he does. My hat's off to him.

Diet has been good. Starting to play it by ear a bit more with the zone. I weighed and measured for a month and I've got a pretty good handle on portion sizes. I'm still leaning out slowly but surely. I haven't been mentioning it in my log, but I've been throwing in 15 hour fasts a few times a week. 15 hours is easy for me if I do it from 9 pm to noon the next day.

I'm considering taking next week off. I don't think I've had a full rest week since mid-October. I think it might be beneficial.

Steven Low
12-24-2008, 04:03 PM
lol, yeah I got off once and now I'm just blah. Should be fixed tonight going into tomorrow and stuff though hopefully....

Break would probably be good for you though if you haven't rested in a couple months.

Chris Salvato
12-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Ever since this weekend I've been feeling tired. I got 8.5 hours sleep last night, however I woke up after 7.5 hrs, then went back to sleep. I think that interruption threw me off. The ZMA does seem to be doing the trick though.

I don't think I've had a full rest week since mid-October. I think it might be beneficial.

Constant fatigue even with plenty of sleep, decreased performance (your presses, for example, being stalled for months), altered sleep patterns, no rest week in over 6 weeks...sounds like overreaching/overtraining to me.

Have you been having any depressed feelings? Injuries flaring up? Irritable? Decreased appetite? Compulsive desire to train? I think the symptoms you have are enough to warrant a week off...but any others would be a sure sign you need a break.

I say take the week off, stop fasting, eat like a horse...then get back in the game with your normal routine after 7 days. I would put down $500 bucks that it would do you a world of good and you might even PR on a few lifts.

Ryan Brown
12-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Thursday, December 25th

All the things you've said have been SPOT on, Chris. I have been irritable and lost my appetite over the past 3 days. I feel "out of it" even as I type this very post. Also, I carry the cold sore virus and it tends to flare up in times of stress or when the seasons change and sure enough, I got one 2 days ago. So, I'm going to try to go through with my Texas Method intensity day on Friday (1RM on Back Squat and Shoulder Press). Then I'll rest up until the 5th of January.

I can't wait to feel good again.

Chris Salvato
12-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Good show -- you should feel better in like 2 or 3 days of solid rest...will probably even get restless and try to train -- after a day or two in a rest week i am doing pike presses (which are still high intensity for me) in my spare time just because i get bored :P

But stick it out and rest a week, let your body supercomp. After that, hit the gym and ease back into it -- in my experience, if you jump back in and try to PR or go high intensity AT ALL right away on the first day, you get really sore the next day and don't perform as well.

IMHO, go light the first day back...maybe warmup sets of all the core lifts and a 5-10 minute metcon...then go heavy on your second day back into the gym. I would be eager to see if new PRs on any lifts!

Ryan Brown
12-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Friday, 12/26/08

Rest Day

I didn't manage to get to the gym today for my BS/SP 1RM. I'm not concerned about that though. I have a feeling I would have just under-performed, confirming my over-reached status. So, I'm officially in my rest week. I will resume training next Friday with a short metcon and some light Squat/DL/Press as Chris suggested. The following Monday I'll resume training for real.

Ryan Brown
12-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Saturday, 12/27/08 - Monday, 12/29/08

Rest days

It feels good to feel good again. Can't wait to hit a WOD on Friday.

I received a copy of Rip's "Practical Programming" as a Christmas gift. I've just been reading that a lot. SO rich in info. It frustrates me that this book is not a part of the curriculum in App's Exercise Science department.

Ryan Brown
01-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Tuesday,12/30/08 - Thursday, 1/1/09

Rest Days

They just announced the Regional Qualifiers for the Crossfit Games. I have to be one of the top 6 males in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina and Tennessee. That's a tall order.

I'm STOKED!

I've never been more motivated to train.

Alex Bond
01-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm doing Texas method as well, and I'm about as strong as you are, and I'd like to make a suggestion. You might want to try putting the deadlifts on the friday/saturday low volume-high intensity day instead of the middle rest day. You should do whatever works for you, but I found that deadlifts were too taxing and if I did them on the rest day, it wasn't really a rest day. Sure, deadlifting after heavy squats sucks, and I can't deadlift as much as I perhaps could otherwise, but I preferred to just destroy myself completely on that last day and rest a bit more in the middle of the week, since you have two days of rest after the heavy day. This might be something to try, or you could continue doing it the way that you have if it works for you.

Good luck on making it to the Crossfit games!

Alex Bond
01-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Just looked through the whole thing and some of the CF log - those are some brutal met-cons! Good times!

Ryan Brown
01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks, Alex!

Are you trying for the games as well? Do you keep a log somewherez?

Regarding the Texas Method stuff, I might move the 1x5 DLs to the intensity day, because they do seem to suit that day by their nature. I don't really know what "works for me" on Texas method because I just started recently, so I'm absolutely open to suggestions.

Ryan Brown
01-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Friday, 1/2/09

A quick met-con. I scaled up the weight but left the volume the same. I probably should have taken off a round. Oh well.

3 Rounds:
15 SDHP, 115 lbs
200m Row
15 OHS, 115 lbs
200m Row

19:38

Ryan Brown
01-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Saturday, 1/3/09

Rest Day

I didn't have time for a lengthy post yesterday, so I'll mention all this now.

Big Fat Nutrition Post

After during and after yesterdays WOD I felt AWFUL. I really hit the wall during that one. I was laid out for 15 minutes afterwards on the verge of vomiting. I couldn't understand what had led to this. I thought it might have been a slight loss of metcon capacity due to the week off. Another possibility that crossed my mind is that it may be time for me to up my fat on the zone. I ruled that out because I'm still at ~12% body fat. I decided the main culprit is that during my week off I really took my carbs down a LOT because I was focused on leaning out and I knew I didn't need them for my activity level. I was doing maybe 9 carb blocks a day, but I wasn't weighing and measuring, so I can't be certain. Perhaps I just took them to a level that is too low to support Crossfit. I assume that this is what the problem was and I'm back to making sure I get all my carb blocks. I've also just recalculated my zone requirements and realized I need a lot less food than I've been eating. This is a result of my old calculation being at a higher bodyweight, and giving myself a higher activity level multiplier than necessary.

I'm now prescribed with 14 blocks/day. I tend to do a little better with SLIGHTLY fewer carbs than the zone prescription so, I'm only doing 12 blocks of carbs. And in accordance with the laws of Robb Wolf, I've added 3 fat blocks for each carb block I deleted. So, my day looks like this:

Total
14 Blocks Protein
12 Blocks Carbs
20 Blocks Fat

Meal 1- P/C/F = 4/3/5
Meal 2- P/C/F = 3/3/5
Meal 3- P/C/F = 4/3/5
Meal 4- P/C/F = 3/3/5

I'm also going to start doing Robb's recommended PWO starchy carb load technique when I get back to school in mid January. I tried to employ it a little bit before and it seemed to work well, although I didn't use it long enough to see any HUGE results. And I'm IFing by the seat of my pants. Some mornings I wake up and just don't feel like eating breakfast, so I combine my first 2 meals into 1 and eat it around 1-2 pm. This usually results in a 10-15 hour fast.

Ari Kestler
01-04-2009, 09:09 AM
We are kinda going through the same thing. I started on paleo, then went to paleo+IF, then realized it wasn't really compatible with full blown CF, so now I'm thinking of returning to zone with paleo at 16 blocks x2 fat. I'm also subbing 2-4 blocks out for fat per Robb, but I think part of the zone that I wasn't doing before was meal portions, if you skip breakfast and combine it with lunch you end up eating a 8 block meal or whatever which I think kinda defeats the purpose...even if it's low carb you are still going to spike due to the amount of food...I think it's also easy to lose site of portions that way... I'd try and just stick with one thing before adding increasing levels of complexity... just my opinion... either way let me know how your experiments work...and I'll keep you posted about mine...

Ryan Brown
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the insights, Ari. I see what you mean about the big double meal being an insulin spiker due to it's size and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I think though, if I start doing 1/2 my carbs PWO, that double meal will remain low enough in carbs to not be a problem. I'll just see what happens.

Chris Salvato
01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
How you people stay on strict zone for more than a couple months at a time is beyond me. I am pretty disciplined but that shit just gets boring after a while! Either you eat the same meals every day so you aren't constantly recalculating blocks or you are always doing math before you eat... Do you just eat huge 8 block meals all the time?

Ryan Brown
01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I eat mostly the same things all the time. I can tolerate it just fine. It's not EXACTLY the same day-to-day but I probably cycle through the same 20 foods or so. It's worth it for me.

Ryan Brown
01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Sunday, 1/4/09

Rest Day

I've decided to go with a 15 block zone instead.

Monday, 1/5/09

Bodyweight is down to 165 lbs

Texas Method (volume day)

3x5 Squat @ 315 (felt like 330, awful)

3x5 Push Press @ 115 (this also felt heavier than it should have.)

I don't know what the reason was for this massive reduction in strength. Maybe I've finally leaned out to the point where I'm losing a bit of strength with it. Maybe it's just that the reduction from 18 blocks to 15 blocks over the past 2 days has been rough on me. Or maybe I've just gotten neuromuscularly rusty from my week off. Whatever the reason, I hope it works itself out because this is 2 training sessions in a row that have SUCKED.

Ari Kestler
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I'd give it a couple days - week and see how you feel, it could be any of the reasons you mentioned...though a number of people do mention dropping raw strength #s on zone...I'd still wait til you get used to the 15 blocks and the sleep is there basically making zone the diagnosis of exclusion....are you running at 2x, 3x fat?

The only reason I ask is cause you are stronger than me, weigh less than me yet I am eating more (16 blocks x2 fat)...hmm, something doesn't seem right...

Ryan Brown
01-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm on base fat right now, Ari. Still trying to lean out just a BIT more. I'm probably around 10-11% BF currently. Historically, I've done my best work at 8-10%, so I'm shooting for that slightly lower BF range. I'll just give it time.

Since doing GOMAD/Eat everything in sight, I've gone through 3 phases of fat loss. First was 20 blocks, 2x fat. Then I went down to 18 blocks, 1x fat. Now i'm doing 15 blocks, 1x fat. At each one of those previous transitions there was a transitional period where I felt hungry and a little bit off my game for 3-6 days. I'm betting that this is another such transition period. However, there may be some true strength being lost to the leanness. It's just a necessary compromise.

Chris Salvato
01-06-2009, 05:08 AM
I may have to do strict zone again -- i have been stuck at around 180 for a bit of a while now :)

EDIT: After I wrote this I realized that I have like 15# of lean muscle mass more than you...if I got down to 165# and maintained mass, I would be only 4% body fat!

What was your weight and BF% at your max compared to now? I think I can get down to 175 comfortably (and I was close before I took a 2 week break).

Ryan Brown
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
My max weight was 183. I know that for a fact. Using some dexa scans (Pretty darn accurate) that I received twice during the semester as bench marks, I'd estimate I was around 20% BF. Now I'm 18 lbs lighter, and if all those 18 lbs were fat, I'd be at 11.27% BF. That sounds about right to me.

Ryan Brown
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Tuesday, 1/6/09

Rest Day

Wednesday, 1/7/09

Texas Method(recovery day)

Squat 3x3 @ 250

Press 3x3 @ 95

In Practical Programming it says that after the recovery day workout you should feel better than you did before. I'd say that is true for me today.

Will Friday produce a PR? Stay tuned!

Ryan Brown
01-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Thursday, 1/8/09

Rest Day

Friday, 1/9/09

Texas Method(Intensity Day)

Squat 1RM = 350 lbs (PR, 2.12 x BWT)

Push Press 1RM = 155 lbs(PR)

1x5 DL @ 350 lbs

I was SO relieved to be able to squat 350 after losing all this weight and after feeling so weak on Monday. I've never 1RM'd on PP so this was inevitably a PR.

Chris Salvato
01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
awesome bro

2x BW squat is gravy.

I am proud of you (but also wish i was there :P )

Ryan Brown
01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Saturday, 1/10/09

Rest Day

Thank you very much, Mr. Salvato. I never let myself enjoy my squatting capacity because I remain hung-up on my inadequate pressing strength.

Ryan Brown
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Sunday, 1/10/09

Rest Day

Chris Salvato
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Saturday, 1/10/09

Rest Day

Thank you very much, Mr. Salvato. I never let myself enjoy my squatting capacity because I remain hung-up on my inadequate pressing strength.

My pressing strength is a little stronger than yours -- you caught up to me...I don't press anymore because of my knee...do HSPU and I can do full concentrics at 180# now so maybe I can do a 180# press too? Who knows...

Your squat has surpassed mine by far -- though i think i was always very held back by my knees...

I can't wait until I am healed up so I can be like you when I grow up :D

Test your vertical lately?

Ryan Brown
01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
No, I haven't tested my vertical. I probably should.

Monday, 1/12/09

Texas Method(volume day)

Squat 1x5 @ 315 lbs
Squat 2x5 @ 295 lbs
Squat 1x5 @ 285 lbs

Bench Press 5x5 @ 155 lbs

So, I wanted to go for 3x5 @ 315 but it was NOT happening. My friends and I have suspected before that the weights in the rec center up here at school are heavier than they say. After today I'm almost CERTAIN of it. I dropped down to 295, but that even became a struggle. So, I went down to 285.

CF WOD

For time 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5 rep rounds of:

Virtual shoveling (45 lb Plate)
Pull-ups

19:56

I think I'm going to stop trying to do the texas method. It's a great plan and if I was a power lifter I'd definitely stick with it, but I just want to do Crossfit again. I was in the middle of my workout today and I just realized I wasn't having fun with it. My progress has stalled since I finished SS and I just want to go back to Crossfit. I'll still focus on strength more than the WOD dictates. I'll try to go heavy on DL, Squat, an overhead press and an O-lift once a week. The WOD's tend to prescribe at least one of those per week. I'll just do Max effort stuff in the 1-5 rep range before my WOD's. If this does nothing more than maintain my PR's on these lifts, that would be fine by me. I might also try to do some more gymnastics work. I've been visiting gymnasticbodies.com pretty regularly lately and checking out their WOD's. I've gotten pretty close to having a solid front lever and I think I could accomplish that relatively quickly if I focused on it.

Ryan Brown
01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Tuesday, 1/13/09

CF WOD
For time:
15-12-9-6-3 Power Cleans, 155 lbs
30-24-18-12-6 Bar Dips

15:37

Ryan Brown
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Wednesday, 1/14/09

CF WOD

OHS 3-3-3-3-3

I met with Ben at the SRC to do this WOD and we realized there was no way to do ME OHS at our rec center safely with just two people. So, we decided to sub Front Squats.

Front Squat
-45 x 5
-95 x 5
-135 x 5
-175 x 3
- 205 x 3

at this point our CF buddy Spencer showed up and we realized we had enough people to spot OHS, so we switched over.

OHS
-135 x 3
-155 x 3
-175 x 3

Then I called it a day.

Ryan Brown
01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Thursday, 1/15/09

Rest Dizzle

Chris Salvato
01-16-2009, 05:33 AM
My friends and I have suspected before that the weights in the rec center up here at school are heavier than they say. After today I'm almost CERTAIN of it. I dropped down to 295, but that even became a struggle. So, I went down to 285.

I used to take the weights into the locker room scale and weigh them if i had any doubt.

...we realized we had enough people to spot OHS, so we switched over.

You spot OHS? You do this similar to spotting rack squats (one person on each side?)

I think I would be more comfortable just bailing on an OHS that was just too hard, but then again I haven't done it too much. Bailing would seem harder with a person on either side of me...would be scared that I would hurt them.

Ryan Brown
01-16-2009, 10:25 AM
We don't have squat stands at the gym here, so we have to OHS in the cage (unless we feel like snatching or C&J-ing our OHS 3RM). So, yeah we spot it just like a back squat. It works pretty well.

Ryan Brown
01-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Friday, 1/16/09

CF WOD

For time:
10 GHD Sit-ups
10 Hip & Back Extensions
95 pound Thrusters, 30 reps
50 Pull-ups

30 GHD Sit-ups
30 Hip & Back Extensions
95 pound Thrusters, 20 reps
35 Pull-ups

50 GHD Sit-ups
50 Hip & Back Extensions
95 pound Thrusters, 10 reps
20 Pull-ups

23:36

This was bad, but it's nice that the Thrusters don't bury me like they did when I weighed 145.

Ryan Brown
01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Saturday, 1/17/09 - Sunday, 1/18/09

Rest Days

Some friends visited from Raleigh and we went snowboarding on Saturday. Terrible diet on Saturday as well.

Ryan Brown
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Monday, 1/19/09

Rest Day

The SRC was closed due to a flood, so I just took another rest day. My abs are still feeling that GHD situp workout.

Ryan Brown
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Tuesday, 1/20/09

Skill/Strength

Squat 5x3 @ 300 lbs*

Took these ass-to-ankles. I'm probably going to squat that way from now on. My numbers may go down, but my fitness will go up. End of discussion.

*SRC weights. So, it was probably 305-315. Idk, but it was pretty challenging. I had some slow bar speed on the 3rd rep of my latter sets.

CF WOD

"Mr. Joshua"

5 Rounds for time:
Run 400m
30 GHD situps
15 Deadlifts, 250 lbs

I subbed anchored feet situps for GHD. 24:35

Ryan Brown
01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Wednesday, 1/21/09

Skill/Strength

5 x 8-10 second tucked front lever holds

5 x 5-7 second tucked planche holds

Crossfit WOD

For time:
15 Handstand push-ups
1 L Pull-up
13 Handstand push-ups
3 L Pull-ups
11 Handstand push-ups
5 L Pull-ups
9 Handstand push-ups
7 L Pull-ups
7 Handstand push-ups
9 L Pull-ups
5 Handstand push-ups
11 L Pull-ups
3 Handstand push-ups

24:10

My L-pullups were strict but bent at the knees. So, I made sure to engage the "L" while I was still in a dead hang, then proceed to pull.

Also, this was supposed to continue to 1 HSPU, 15 L pullups. But on my set off 11 LPUs I tweaked something in my left shoulder and decided to call it a day.

Chris Salvato
01-21-2009, 08:25 PM
L-sit pullups always seem to tweak something in my shoulders...

granted, i have had 4 shoulder surgeries....but still :P

Steven Low
01-21-2009, 09:50 PM
How's the weight loss coming?

Ryan Brown
01-22-2009, 09:29 AM
It's coming along well, Steve. I'm almost done losing weight. I'm down to 163 lbs, 9-10% BF. I'm going to post one final note on facebook this Weekend, with pictures and all. I'm also going to try to get a dexa scan done within the near future so I can have a solid benchmark on my BF%.

Ryan Brown
01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Thursday, 1/22/09

Strength/Skill

Push Press 3-3-3-3-3

135/130/130/135/140 (PR)

Ryan Brown
01-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Friday, 1/23/09

Rest Day

Thought about going out for some Parkour because the weather was actually tolerable today. Never got around to it.

I guess I'm going to start putting the things that I THOUGHT about doing in my log now.

Ryan Brown
01-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Saturday, 1/24/09

Crossfit Total

Back Squat 335 lbs

Shoulder Press 130 lbs

Deadlift 385 lbs

Total: 850 lbs

I'm pretty happy with these numbers. My squat and DL have definitely deteriorated since I've lost weight, but not too much. And these were all legit max efforts. On the squat I missed 335 my first try. I re-attempted it and it took probably 6 seconds to come from the hole to standing. Same with the 130 press; a really slow, hard fought rep.

Metcon

50 Burpees for time

3:02

Chris Salvato
01-25-2009, 07:53 AM
I think you should stop shoulder pressing and start working full ROM HSPU negatives. Your current methodology isn't working -- you have been plateau'd at around 120-130 for months!

As for back squat and DL -- both are above 2xBW so I guess u have nothing to worry about :P I suggest you test your jumping!

Ryan Brown
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Sunday, 1/25/09

Strength/Skill Work

-Planche and Front Lever-
6 x 8-10 second tucked front lever holds

6 x 5-7 second tucked planche holds

-Hang Cleans-
3 x 95 lbs
3 x 115 lbs
3 x 135 lbs
2 x 155 lbs
1 x 185 lbs
1 x 205 lbs (miss)
1 x 195 lbs

Crossfit WOD

"Barbara"

Five rounds, each for time of:
20 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 Sit-ups
50 Squats

Rest precisely three minutes between each round.

Wow, gotta read the fine print. I only rested 1 minute between rounds. I timed my first 3 splits, but then my timer got messed up. I was still able to calculate my total time for all 5 rounds.

Round 1-3:20
Round 2-3:20
Round 3-4:40
Round 4-?
Round 5-?

Total time: 20:42

Ryan Brown
01-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Oops, forgot to reply to the great Salvato. So, here it is:

Chris,

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my Squat/DL. I guess It'd be nice to get a 2.5 bwt DL, and I'm only 15 lbs short right now, but w/e. You REALLY want me to test my jumping capacity, don't you? I'll see if I can squeeze it in to my moderately busy college student schedule.

Ok, I'll start working on full ROM HSPUs. I don't have paralettes to work with, but they do have small plyo-boxes (12'' maybe?) at the SRC that I can use. I'm thinking I'll do 5x5 once a week, negatives if necessary. Then, I'll be doing a ME barbell pressing movement one other time per week. See any holes in this?

Chris Salvato
01-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Seems great.

Usually i dont lock myself into 5x5 or another rep scheme on negatives. Negatives don't pay if you are doing them too quickly. I do as many in a set until I can't hold 5-7 seconds anymore, then go into the next set then repeat for 2-5 sets total. Mixing with Maximal Pressing would be good, too, for evaluation purposes (and stressing purposes).

I think that its a good plan to start, let me know how it goes.

Ryan Brown
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Ok, I'll just feel out the negatives from set to set.

Right now I'm sort of running on an 8 day cycle, so I can keep up with the HQ work/rest days. So, once I work in the HSPU's it looks like this:

Day 1
Deadlift
WOD

Day 2
FL & PL
O-lift (CJ, SN, OHS)
WOD

Day 3
SP/PP/BP
WOD

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
BS/FS
WOD

Day 6
HSPU
FL & PL
WOD

Day 7
O-lift (CJ, SN, OHS)
WOD

Day 8
Rest

This has worked well for me so far, and it slightly resembles Gant's hybrid, however my WOD's aren't specifically heavy, short duration.

Ryan Brown
01-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Monday, 1/26/09

Strength/Skill

-Split Snatch-

I alternated legs during each set

95 x 6
115 x 6
120 x 4
125 x 2 x 4
130 x 2
135 x 2 x 2

These were fun. I'd never done them before so I spent a lot of time at 125 trying to get the technique right. My main flaws were a lack of aggression in the 2nd pull and not splitting low enough, fast enough. Occasionally I would catch the weight with bent elbows and have to press it out.

Ryan Brown
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Tuesday, 1/27/09

Rest Day

Ryan Brown
01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey, Chris, guess what?

I was in my biomechanics lab today and at the end our lab instructor said "Ok, next week's lab we'll be testing vertical jump. Does anybody want to volunteer for that?" I raised my hand and volunteered. So, as of next week I will have test results for my vertical jump.

Chris Salvato
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey, Chris, guess what?

I was in my biomechanics lab today and at the end our lab instructor said "Ok, next week's lab we'll be testing vertical jump. Does anybody want to volunteer for that?" I raised my hand and volunteered. So, as of next week I will have test results for my vertical jump.

Awesome -- theoretically you should be able to bang out at 33-36" vert :P

Ryan Brown
01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
We shall see, my friend.

Wednesday, 1/28/09

Strength/Skill

-Thruster-
1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

145/155/165/165/165/165/170

Missed my first attempt at 170. Got it overhead but couldn't quite lock-out. Tried again with more focus on aggression opening the hips and it went up like a balloon.

-Deadlifts-
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
275 x 2
315 x 1
355 x 2 x 2

Metcon

5 Rounds for time:
5 Thrusters 95 lbs
5 Power Snatches 95 lbs

4:58

Chris Salvato
01-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Missed my first attempt at 170. Got it overhead but couldn't quite lock-out. Tried again with more focus on aggression opening the hips and it went up like a balloon.

Who woulda thought that hip extension was so powerful :P

Ryan Brown
01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
You're telling me. And for a guy who can squat 335 but only presses 130, I rely on it quite heavily when I do thrusters.

A note on my diet:

I'm going to start upping my fat blocks now. I also just recalculated my prescription with a .75 multiplier rather than a .7. This is to take into account the "heavy" work I'm doing before every WOD. So, after I sub a few fat blocks for carbs, here's what it all looks like:

16 Protein Blocks
8 Carb Blocks
56 Fat Blocks

On metcon training days, I do a few more carb blocks and a few less fat in my PWO meal.

Ryan Brown
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Thursday, 1/29/09

Metcon

"Elizabeth"

21-15-9 Reps
Squat Clean 135 lbs
Ring Dips (subbed p-bars dips)

8:47

I was scheduled for my planche/front lever work today. I just didn't have time. I'll do it tomorrow.

Ryan Brown
01-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Friday, 1/30/09

Rest Day

Busy day driving to Raleigh for the weekend. Plus I was a bit low on sleep. And I tweaked my shoulder a little while I was stretching last night. So, decided to rest it up. I brought my KB home with me and I'll try to hit a metcon tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just rest some more. Depends on how I feel.

Ari Kestler
01-31-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm really interested to see how you do on 8 blocks of carbs...keep us posted on your recovery and metcon...

Ryan Brown
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Definitely will do. It's important to note that on my metcon days I end up doing 11 blocks, 5 of which are PWO. I eat 4 times a day, so my nutrition plan in it's entirety looks like this:

no metcon day

Each meal is:

4 Pro
2 Carb
14 Fat

So, I just eat that 4 times spread throughout the day.

Metcon days

Meals 1 & 2:
4 Pro
2 Carb
14 Fat

Meal 3 (PWO):
4 Pro
5 Carb (mashed sweet potato)
2 Fat

Meal 4:
4 Pro
2 Carb
17 Fat

So far, so good. I'll definitely keep you guys posted. I have had some feelings of dizziness during my strength workouts immediately following my work sets. For instance, the other day when I DL'd 355 for 2 reps and when I put the weight down I stood up and got extremely dizzy/lightheaded. That was when I decided to 2x my fat. And now that I have upped the fat, I feel much better.

Ryan Brown
01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Saturday, 1/31/09

Another rest day.

It's always tough to stay on track when I come home. More rest can't hurt.

Ryan Brown
02-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Sunday, 2/1/09

3rd consecutive rest day. Feeling well rested. Ready to hit it tomorrow.

Chris Salvato
02-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Ryan,

in the past you said that while you Zone you eat the same things in every meal pretty much just to keep it easy.

I may go back into zoning soon - or at least i am thinking about it - because i have some "problem areas" I want to see if i can fix by going strict zone. I am just kicking it around but would like an idea of what you are eating on a meal-to-meal basis, if possible, so that I can see what it may be like.

Thanks!

Ryan Brown
02-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Sure thing, Chris. I don't always necessarily eat the same thing but more accurately I would say that I eat the same 6-8 interchangeable meals. And I eat a LOT of eggs. I also highly recommend you get acquainted with a product called "Men's bread" if you aren't already. Each slice is exactly 1 complete block. Here's what a day might look like:

Meal 1
4 eggs = 4P, 8F
140 g apple (about 1 apple) = 2C
some nuts or nut butter = 6F
Total: 4P, 2C, 14F

Permutations of this meal basically consist of swapping out the fruit I'm eating. I cycle through grapes, grapefruit, apples, peaches, pears and strawberries to keep things interesting.

Meal 2
2 slices of "Men's Bread" = 2P, 1.5C, 2F
2 oz of Tuna = 2P
45 g of Mayo = 12F
Total: 4P, 1.5C, 14F

I mix the mayo and tuna together and put it on the men's bread to make a sandwich. I throw some spices in the tuna as well so it doesn't suck. I'll usually eat 5 grapes or so to give me that extra 1/2 carb block that I'm missing.

Meal 3
60 g of Peanut butter = 12F
Thin layer of fruit preserves = .5C
2 oz of Deli turkey/ham/roast beef = 2P

This is a PB&J with some deli meat on the side to fill in the protein blocks.

PWO meal
250 g mashed sweet potato = 5C
4 oz grilled chicken breast = 4P
8 g smart balance butter spread = 2F
Total: 4P, 5C, 2F

I microwave the mashed sweet potatoes and mix in the butter.

So those are a few of my most commonly eaten meals. I basically try to keep my macro nutrients seperate from one another so I can mix and match easily.

Ryan Brown
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Monday, 2/2/09

Full ROM HSPU

2x5 Negatives
1x4 Negatives

These were nice and slow. Especially through the bottom portion.

Planche/Front Lever

4 x :05 tuck planche holds
4 x :10 adv. tuck FL holds

Did these as super sets with 1:00 rest between efforts, so I effectively got 2:00 between each attempt at each hold. The tuck planche doesn't seem to be getting any easier but I'll stay patient with it for another week and see what's what.

WOD

Rx'd was 30 MU's for time. No rings so here was my sub:

20 Rounds for time:
3 weighted P-bar dips, 25 lbs
3 Pull ups, 25 lbs

Got through it in 14:41. The pull ups were never a problem but the dips really slowed me down.

Chris Salvato
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Sure thing, Chris. I don't always necessarily eat the same thing but more accurately I would say that I eat the same 6-8 interchangeable meals. And I eat a LOT of eggs. I also highly recommend you get acquainted with a product called "Men's bread" if you aren't already. Each slice is exactly 1 complete block. Here's what a day might look like:

Meal 1
4 eggs = 4P, 8F
140 g apple (about 1 apple) = 2C
some nuts or nut butter = 6F

Permutations of this meal basically consist of swapping out the fruit I'm eating. I cycle through grapes, grapefruit, apples, peaches, pears and strawberries to keep things interesting.

Meal 2
2 oz of Tuna = 2P
45 g of Mayo = 12F
Total: 4P, 1.5C, 14F

I mix the mayo and tuna together and put it on the men's bread to make a sandwich. I throw some spices in the tuna as well so it doesn't suck. I'll usually eat 5 grapes or so to give me that extra 1/2 carb block that I'm missing.

Meal 3
60 g of Peanut butter = 12F
Thin layer of fruit preserves = .5C
2 oz of Deli turkey/ham/roast beef = 2P

This is a PB&J with some deli meat on the side to fill in the protein blocks.

PWO meal
250 g mashed sweet potato = 5C
4 oz grilled chicken breast = 4P
8 g smart balance butter spread = 2F
Total: 4P, 5C, 2F

I microwave the mashed sweet potatoes and mix in the butter.

So those are a few of my most commonly eaten meals. I basically try to keep my macro nutrients seperate from one another so I can mix and match easily.

Thanks a bunch man.

I can see how an item like Man's Bread would help a lot. Whole milk is pretty much in perfect block format, too...surprised you don't drink it -- i guess you are going paleo?

Can you link me to Man's bread? Where do you get it? Could I get it in the store or would i have to order it on amazon or something?

Ryan Brown
02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I get mine at our local Earthfare. Any major health food store (earthfare, whole foods, the fresh market) will probably carry it. It's made by a company called French Meadow Bakery. Here's a link http://www.frenchmeadow.com/products/breads-rolls/men-s-bread

Yeah, I'm not perfectly paleo in regards to the dairy thing because I eat cheese. But I try.

Ryan Brown
02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Tuesday, 2/3/09

Cleans

95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 3
215 x 3
225 x 3 (failed 3rd rep. I'll get it next time.)

Back Squat (CFHQ WOD)

45 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 5
300 x 5

Chris Salvato
02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I get mine at our local Earthfare. Any major health food store (earthfare, whole foods, the fresh market) will probably carry it. It's made by a company called French Meadow Bakery. Here's a link http://www.frenchmeadow.com/products/breads-rolls/men-s-bread

Yeah, I'm not perfectly paleo in regards to the dairy thing because I eat cheese. But I try.

Problem I see with that bread is that even though the protein is in line, proportionally, with the Zone, the sources suck. Pea Protein isolate? Seriously? I know nothing about it but it just doesn't seem to add up into being a good source of protein -- do you up your protein blocks to compensate for that?

It seems like whatever you are doing is working for you though I am not sure I would use Man's Bread as liberally if this were *my* diet....but thats also because i hate vegetable protein -- im an asshole i know :P

Ryan Brown
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
You are an asshole, however the vegetable protein aspect is something to think about and I haven't given it much thought until now. I don't usually eat a TON of men's bread. Those sample meals aren't really what a day in my nutritional life always looks like but I probably do consume a couple of slices per day. I tend to go over on protein naturally though. For instance, when I eat black beans there's some protein in there I never account for. Also, any nuts/nutbutters that I eat have a decent amount that I never consider. I know those aren't all complete protein sources but it probably works itself out somehow.

In fact, I'm considering going Vegan. It's supposed to be really healthy, right?

J/k

Ryan Brown
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Wednesday, 2/4/09

Rest Day

Chris Salvato
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
You are an asshole, however the vegetable protein aspect is something to think about and I haven't given it much thought until now. I don't usually eat a TON of men's bread. Those sample meals aren't really what a day in my nutritional life always looks like but I probably do consume a couple of slices per day. I tend to go over on protein naturally though. For instance, when I eat black beans there's some protein in there I never account for. Also, any nuts/nutbutters that I eat have a decent amount that I never consider. I know those aren't all complete protein sources but it probably works itself out somehow.

Vegetable sources are kind of moderate in their digestability - so I would think it may be something to consider since even beans and nuts are lower in digestibility too. May not be a huge deal but it is def food for thought.

In fact, I'm considering going Vegan. It's supposed to be really healthy, right?

J/k

*fills a sock with quarters*

Ryan Brown
02-04-2009, 05:53 PM
*fills a sock with quarters*

*Runs away, dash vaulting a picnic table in the process*

I'm not sure about you, but I enjoy the fact that most the readers of this log will not know what a dash vault is.

Chris Salvato
02-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Haha and yet...i have not done one in almost 8 months now...

stupid knee

Ryan Brown
02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Nor have I due to weather, and they were never my forte.

Ryan Brown
02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Thursday, 2/5/09

Bench Press

175 x 3 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 3

WOD

Five rounds for time of:
2 pood Kettlebell swings, 25 reps
25 GHD Sit-ups
25 Back Extensions
25 Knees to Elbows

31:35

This wasn't as bad as it looked. The KTE really took me a lot of time. I just couldn't get them in any kind of rhythm. I'm going to start doing them in my warm-up.

Ryan Brown
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Friday, 2/6/09

Planche & Front Lever

5 x :10 tuck FL holds

7 x :5 tuck planche holds

Planche is starting to feel a bit better. Hard on the wrists. I need Ben to give me back my paralettes so I can train with those.

Split Jerk

95 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5
185 x 5
200 x 5 (PR)

I was really happy with my performance on these. I may have been able to go for 205, but my shoulders were pretty taxed at that point. I should have taken bigger jumps in my WU, but I was feeling it out.

Chris Salvato
02-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Friday, 2/6/09

Planche & Front Lever

5 x :10 tuck FL holds

7 x :5 tuck planche holds

Planche is starting to feel a bit better. Hard on the wrists. I need Ben to give me back my paralettes so I can train with those.

Split Jerk

95 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5
185 x 5
200 x 5 (PR)

I was really happy with my performance on these. I may have been able to go for 205, but my shoulders were pretty taxed at that point. I should have taken bigger jumps in my WU, but I was feeling it out.

200 on the Jerk with a pansy Press like you have is impressive.

Your hip extension must be hella strong.

Ryan Brown
02-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I know, it's the weirdest damn thing. I can stabilize overhead very well. My Jerk and OHS, for instance, are pretty solid. It's just the pressing that I suck at.

Ryan Brown
02-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Saturday, 2/7/09

Dead Lift

135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 1
295 x 1
315 x 1
325 x 5

WOD

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
Run 200 meters
Sumo deadlift highpull 95 pounds, 21 reps
Pull-ups 15 reps

6 Rounds, 1 Run, 1 SDLHP

Ryan Brown
02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Sunday, 2/8/09

Rest Day

Ryan Brown
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
2/9/09

Made it a rest day. Feeling a little under the weather and my arms are SUPER sore from Saturday.

An article by Jeff Martin just got published in the Crossfit Journal outlining a program called "Crossfit Strength Bias". It's similar to what I'm doing and it gives more support to these hybrid programs like Gant's. One technique that CFSB uses, which I plan to start including in my own programming, is higher rep strength workouts like 20 RM and 12-7-9 ME days. In CFSB these are tacked onto the end of normal 3x5 and 3x3 strength workouts. I'll employ them in the same manner.

Ryan Brown
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM
2/10/09

Rest Day

3rd RD in a row. Feeling sick. Sore throat and kind of mucus-y. As today nears it's end, I'm feeling better. I'll get good sleep tonight and hopefully have this thing knocked out in the morning. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if I take another rest day tomorrow for safety's sake.

Wow, this Crossfit Strength Bias thing has REALLY blown up. It's on the CF message boards, the PMenu message boards, it's got 60+ comments on the journal article and Jeff Martin just did an interview about it on Crossfit Radio. The more I think about it, the more I like the template that CFSB has laid out.

When I first thought of diving into CFSB, I began criticizing myself for being unable to stick to one program for more than 2 weeks. Then I realized that in execution this won't seem very different from what I'm already doing. It'll just be laid out in a manner that has already been tested by others and proven to work. Of course, I've made some adjustments to it to suit my own goals. The metcons will be shorter and heavier (Gant style) And I'll be doing 2 on, 1 off, 3 on, 1 off. This should help me with recovery as opposed to my current 3/1 split.

I'm still going to be doing PL/FL progressions twice weekly, and I'll be doing full ROM HSPU's once a week, combined with a Barbell pressing movement once a week, to develop my overhead pressing capacity. In it's pure form, CFSB calls for ME Front Squats on day 5. I'm subbing this out for an O-lift (alternating Cleans, Snatches, Jerks, Split Cleans and Split Snatches week-to-week). And, as I mentioned in my previous post, it includes a good deal of high rep strength-endurance work via 12-20 rep sets. I'm especially excited to see what these do for my benchmark WOD times. I'll start this sucker on Monday and we'll see where it takes me.

Ari Kestler
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
So are you planning on using the main page WODs and just adjusting for time... i.e. if barbara is during a day where you should be doing a 10 min metcon, you shorten it to 3 rounds?

Or doing heavy grace vs normal grace, etc...?

Or are you planning to come up with your own metcon?

As much press as the article is getting, it's still a little frustrating in that 1) it's nothing new - other than a) set a PR, stop for the day and b) high rep lifting after, 2) there isn't some sort of CFE-like to complement the mainpage... it's frustrating for people like me that are probably intermediate in strength but still feel pretty inexperienced when it comes to programming.

Do you think your increased need for rest days has anything to do with trying to run 3/1 on 8 blocks of carbs? I'm not criticizing just genuinely interested since 3/1 runs me into the ground because I eat in a similar fashion...

Daniel Mays
02-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey Ryan,

Strong work all around. As an aside, was your nickname at CFNC mini-T? I think you are him but I'm not sure if I remember your real name, since no one ever uses their real names at that place.

Hopefully you stick to that new Strength Template and it gives you some gains, I believe the SS and Texas methods are better used in a strict power lifting sense and don't lend themselves to mixing in other things as well as some of the other Strength biased programs, just in my experience.

Flash was my nickname by the way if you don't remember my real name.

Danny

Ryan Brown
02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
All good questions, Ari, some of which I still needed to ask myself.

I defininitely agree with most of the Pmenu community in that this style of training is nothing new. It's really barely even a change from my template from the past 3 weeks aside from, like you said, the high-rep lifting. That's one of the things I liked the most about it because I see it's applicability to Crossfit benchmark WODs.

I think that one of the reasons that it is getting more attention than Gant's hybrid is because it really lays it all out for you with very specific instructions. Gant's template left a lot of blanks for the potential user to fill in and I think that for some people less familiar with programming, CFSB was presented in a more user friendly manner. Or it could simply be that CFSB was published in the CFJ and Gant's Hybrid Template wasn't. Who knows and more importantly, who cares? It's all open source fitness and I truly believe that the guys behind these experiments just want to see people meeting their training goals efficiently. Personally, I'm just glad to see people warming up to this idea that strength is a REALLY important part of Crossfit.

I agree with you in that it would be nice for them to start a CFE style website that gives you a WOD to add to the HQ WODs. It's nice to just check a website everyday and let somebody else do all the programming work. Maybe in the future such a website will be created. With the amount of buzz this thing has gotten, it wouldn't surprise me.

As for my metcon on the program, I'm thinking that I will kind of play it by ear. If the HQ WOD is something that I can easily adjust to fit my time-limit for the day, then I might do that. If not, I'll just conjure up something. I foresee a lot of double tabatas for my "under 10 minute" days.

Regarding the super low carbs, I've heard that if your carbs are too low you will see and feel it in your metcon performances and so far, that just hasn't happened to me. Since I've begun doing metcon again after SS, my times have just gotten better and better. I've posted PRs on several benchmark WODs. When I first came back from SS, I would be laid out for 15 minutes after a 10 minute WOD, nauseas and with a headache. Lately, however, my recovery time has been getting much shorter. I collapse on the ground at the end of a WOD and I'm back to "normal" in 5 minutes. So, I don't think the carbs have been a problem. Then, again I haven't really been doing the 3/1 schedule consistently for very long. Who knows, maybe if I continued down that road for a few more weeks, I would have ended up under-recovered and saw a decline in my performance. Until I see my performance decline, I'm just going to keep up with my 8 daily carb blocks. I think the 2/1/3/1 schedule that CFSB lays out, along with the deliberately shorter metcon sessions, should help that.

Ryan Brown
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey, Danny. I am indeed Mini T. Are you still training at CFNC? I try to train there whenever I'm home from school. In fact, I might be in there this Saturday morning.

Daniel Mays
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I am indeed, just got back about 3 weeks ago after taking a couple months off due to working and school. It is so nice to be able to clean with bumpers, something mental about it for me. I started a log on this forum as well just the other day, going to focus on Olympic lifting mainly with 2-3 Workouts of the Day sprinkled in there alongside the strength work.

Good luck with your training

Ryan Brown
02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
You too, man! I'll make sure to check in on your log every now and then. It's always cool to see people branching out from standard CF and trying to blend in other stuff.

Ryan Brown
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
2/11/09

Rest Day...again.

Still just a SLIGHTLY sore throat and I'm playing it safe. My lack of training is really starting to make me feel shitty.

Ryan Brown
02-12-2009, 01:52 PM
2/12/09

Rest Day number 4. I went to the infirmary today. They did some tests. It's not a bacterial thing, so no antibiotics. They pretty much told me to wait it out and come back in a few days if it doesn't improve. They did give me some cough syrup with codeine in it, so sleep should improve greatly!

My weightlifting shoes arrived today from Rogue Fitness and I'm itching to try them out. I'm planning on going home this weekend and I'll try to do a WOD at CFNC on Friday and possibly Saturday.

Daniel Mays
02-12-2009, 04:31 PM
hope you feel better, don't think I'll make it in to CFNC this weekend due to hockey games. Let me know how those shoes are, I'm planning on buying some from Geoff if they fit me.

Danny

Ryan Brown
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Alright, man. I'll definitely let you know about the shoes. They're my first pair of lifting shoes, so I'm no expert by any means. I'm excited though because I've been told by a few sources that good weightlifting shoes alone will add weight to my max lifts.

The question on my mind is, why is Geoff getting rid of them?

Ryan Brown
02-14-2009, 04:55 PM
2/13/09

Metcon

30-20-10
Power Clean 135 lbs
Push ups
1 pood KB snatch

11:08

2/14/09

Snatch
95 x 5
115 x 3
135 x 1 x 3
155 x 1 x 3 (Missed all 3)

Metcon
7 Rounds for time:
10 SDHP, 95 lbs
10 Ring Dips

8:30

Enrique Billington
02-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Were those full snatches or power snatches?

How do your new shoes suit you?

Keep up the good work.

Ryan Brown
02-15-2009, 07:58 PM
2/15/09

Rest Day

Those were full squat snatches. That was kind of a low max for me. I only had 45's and 10's so I had to jump straight from 135 to 155. I think that screwed with me mentally. I like the shoes a lot. I can feel a little bit more comfort/stability in bottom of the OHS for sure.

Ryan Brown
02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
2/16/09

Back Squats

45 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 5
275 x 5 x 2

Planche/Front Lever

6 x :08 tuck FL holds
7 x :05 tuck planche holds

tuck planche holds felt really solid today. I'm super setting these with 1:00 rest between them, so I get 2:00 between efforts of the same movement. Once I can hold :10 for each, I'll change one of my weekly PL/FL workouts to dynamic movements.

WOD

5 Rounds for time:
Run 400m
5 Squat Snatches, 115 lbs

13:26

Ryan Brown
02-17-2009, 05:10 PM
2/17/09

Deadlift

315 x 3
325 x 3
335 x 3

245 x 20

Full ROM HSPU

1 x 3 :07 negatives

I wanted to do 5 sets of these. However, after 1 set I was informed by a staff member at our rec center that they don't allow HSPUs in their facility. I'm going to try to find a way to do these at home on Tuesdays.

WOD

4 Rounds for time:
5 Push Press, 135 lbs
20 Squats

7:47

135 was really too heavy on those PP. I had to rest quite a bit and that really took away the metabolic effect of the workout. 115 or 125 would have been a better choice.

Ryan Brown
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
2/18/09

Rest Day

I played around with handstand pirouettes and elbow levers in my kitchen a lot throughout the course of the day.

Ryan Brown
02-19-2009, 05:27 PM
2/19/09

WU

3x:

1 minute of Jump rope singles, doubles, one legged alternating, etc.
Burgener warm up w/ empty bar
3 HS holds, :10
5 strict dips
15 KTE

Cleans

135 x 5
185 x 1
195 x 1
205 x 1
215 x 1 (fail)
215 x 1
220 x 1
225 x 1
230 x 1
235 x 1 (fail)
235 x 1 (PR)
240 x 1 (fail)

Back Squats

185 x 20

Full ROM HSPU

3 x 2 negatives w/ :02 pauses at the middle & bottom

Daniel Mays
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Great Clean PR Ryan. I have another number to shoot for. Good luck on training.

Ryan Brown
02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
2/20/09

Planche/Front Lever

6x:

0:06 Tuck PL Hold
Rest 1:00
0:10 Tuck FL hold

After this, I attempted a max tuck FL hold and got 0:23

These progressions are starting to feel much better. Hopefully I can start mixing in some dynamic movement 2-3 weeks from now.

Long Metcon

All of this for time:

Start with:
Run 800m

Then:
5 Rounds:
100 Double Unders
30 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups

End with:
25 Burpees

32:17

High rep pull-up workouts at our rec center are awful for 2 reasons. There aren't any good pull-up bars (they all have these uncomfortable rubber grips on them), and I can't use chalk. With a good bar and some chalk, I bet I could go sub 30:00 on this one.

Daniel Mays
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Well you still got the work done nice job. I didn't realize Goodberry's was local, I feel bad for everyone else outside of the Carolinas.

Ryan Brown
02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, we don't even have one up here in Boone, NC. I always try to get some when I come home.

Ryan Brown
02-21-2009, 12:08 PM
2/21/09

Wow, I don't think my calves have ever been this sore.

Shoulder Press
45 x 5
65 x 2
85 x 2
95 x 2

105 x 5
115 x 5 (fail)
115 x 5

95 x 10
95 x 7
95 x 4

Ryan Brown
02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
2/22/09

Rest Day

Nutrition has been a little shaky this weekend as is often the case on weekends. I drank some Liquor on Friday night. For dinner Saturday I had a burger and a grilled chicken sandwich from Cook-out. And the only thing I've had to eat today was a club sandwich from a local sandwich joint here in Boone when I went out this morning with some friends. Lot's of protein to be sure, but a good deal of processed carbs along with it. I need to go to the grocery store soon too. All I have in terms of protein is chicken and pre-chickens (eggs).

I have yet to write about this in my log, so I will take the time to do so now. I plan to try and gain a few lbs of muscle while I'm doing this CFSB cycle. However, I want to do so with minimal bodyfat gain. For that reason I'm not taking a full on "bulking up" approach. (If that were the case I'd just call up my old friend, GOMAD, and be off to the races) I will up my protein and fat slowly and progressively and keep my carbs at a minimum to keep BF levels down. I don't feel like doing all kinds of recalculations to my favorite zone meals, so I'm going to simply eat 1 extra meal (4P, 2C, 12F) every day for 2 weeks and see where that gets me. Even if I only gain .5 lbs per week, I'll be fine with that so long as I gain minimal body fat with it. This shouldn't be too difficult because I remember when I first started GOMAD I was gaining a pretty lean 2-3 lbs/week and that was with an introduction of 2400 surplus calories to my diet. I didn't start gaining serious body fat until I started upping my calories via carbs (1/2 box of pasta every night, to be specific). I also remember that I was successful in gaining 3-4 lbs of muscle during my first semester of college with almost no body fat gain while CFing and increasing my intake levels just marginally. So, I have high hopes for this extra meal strategy. I'm sitting at 160 lbs right now and I'd like for this little venture to put me up around 165. I think that eventually, my ideal weight for competitive Crossfitting would be 175 but I can't dive head first into a full-on mass gain adventure 2 months out from the CF games regional qualifiers and expect to be leaned out and ready for competition by then.

Alex Bond
02-22-2009, 06:58 PM
What do you think about the "workouts never done before" that Coach mentioned in that video for the Games? Any guesses or thoughts?

Ryan Brown
02-23-2009, 08:21 AM
I think it's awesome. That's about it. I don't think it's going to apply to the qualifiers as much, so I'm not too concerned with it right now. If I make it to Aromas, I'll definitely spend a little more time on Gymnastics/Parkour skill work because I think those modalities will give me the most bang for my buck in terms of carry over to learning new movements on the spot.

Ryan Brown
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
2/23/09

Back Squat
45 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 3
295 x 3
305 x 5 (PR)

Planche / Front Lever
6 Sets:

0:06 Tuck PL Hold

0:10 Tuck FL hold

These are feeling more and more solid every time I do them.

WOD
Max Rounds in 10:00

1 Man Maker, 40 lb DB's
20 GHD situps
20 Back Extensions

Add 1 Man Maker per round.

4 Rounds, 5 MM, 7 GHD Sit-ups

Ryan Brown
02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
2/24/09

Full ROM HSPU

2 x 3, :07 neg
3 x 2, :07 neg

Deadlifts

135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 3

345 x 3
365 x 3 (Missed last one, due to grip)
365 x 3 (Missed last one due to grip)

Man, this was unbelievably frustrating. My gym doesn't allow chalk and I KNOW that a little chalk would have made those lifts possible.

275 x 12
275 x 9
275 x 6

Metcon

7 Thrusters, 115 lbs
21 Burpees

5 Thrusters, 115 lbs
15 Burpees

3 Thrusters, 115 lbs
9 Burpees

4:24

Chris Salvato
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
2/24/09
Man, this was unbelievably frustrating. My gym doesn't allow chalk and I KNOW that a little chalk would have made those lifts possible.

Your gym is gay.

Impressive time on the metcon though, for sure.

Ryan Brown
02-24-2009, 08:23 PM
It ABSOLUTELY is, Chris. I internalized that concept a long time ago. I should buy some chalk and keep it in my back pack just so I can use it when ABSOLUTELY necessary (like today). I doubt most of their staff even know what chalk looks like.

But, thanks for the props on the metcon time. It was funny how easy the first 7 thrusters were, compared to the next round's 5, when you return to the bar with 21 burpees under your belt.

Ryan Brown
02-26-2009, 09:50 AM
2/25/09

Parkour

Weather was tolerable so I threw on a hoodie and got outside for some parkour training for the first time in months. I was out for around 2 hours, working at a pretty relaxed pace, seeing as how it's supposed to be a rest day.

There was a large loading ramp behind the new dining hall they just finished constructing that I was really excited to train on for the first time. As I watched them constructing it over the last 3-4 frigid months I kept getting more and more excited to train on it and it really lived up to my expectations. It's a big ramp made of winding brick walls, each between 4 and 8 feet tall. It's sort of attached to 2 staircases each framed with more 8 feet tall brick walls. Really great for all kinds of climb-ups, small cat leaps, tic-tacs and turn vaults. I'll try to post some video/pictures.

I also drilled a lot of underbars at one of my favorite old railings on campus and worked on some precisions. It was a really enjoyable training session.

I know Steve Low and Chris Salvato will understand the PK terminology. The rest of you can plug any of the terms into youtube to find examples.

Ryan Brown
02-26-2009, 04:56 PM
2/26/09

Snatch
75 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 3 x 2

145 x 1 x 2
155 x 1 x 2
160 x 1 x 2
165 x 1 x 3 (failed first 2 attempts)
170 x 1 x 7 (failed first 5 attempts) (PR)

I spent about 20 minutes fighting for that 170 lb snatch. Every attempt got closer and closer. I KNEW I had it in me. I finally got it on the 6th try and then did it once more for good measure.

Back Squat
215 x 15

Sam Nutt
02-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Kudos on the PR. Way to keep after it!

Ryan Brown
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
2/27/09

Planche / Front Lever

4 sets:

0:07 tuck PL hold
0:05 Adv. Tuck FL hold

Wanted to do 6 sets, but time constraints didn't permit it. These just feel better every workout. 7 seconds of the tuck Planche was taking me a little closer to failure than I'd like to be on the last set. I'll hang back at 6 seconds for my next couple workouts. Don't want to get greedy.

Long Metcon

Max rounds in 20:00

3 Power Cleans, 135 lbs
6 pushups
9 Squats

25 rounds

This sucked, but I had the gas to go all 20 minutes. I remember I cranked through 7-8 rounds and thought "Surely, we must be half way done by now." I looked at the stopwatch and it read "5:25." I knew then that this workout would be a SERIOUS fight.

Every now and then I'm reminded how much that SS/GOMAD cycle has helped me as a Crossfitter. The 135 lb cleans didn't bury me at all like they used to when I weighed 145.

All in all, I'm really enjoying my current programming and it seems to be working.

Ryan Brown
02-28-2009, 05:11 PM
2/28/09

I brought my food scale to the gym today to weigh the spring clips that I use. I found out that each set weighs 1 lb. This is really useful info for my press progression.

Shoulder Press
45 x 8
85 x 5
95 x 3

105 x 5
116 x 5
119 x 5 (PR)

106 x 9
106 x 7
106 x 4

The intention was 10-7-4 at this weight. I couldn't quite muster 10 reps on that first set, though.

Metcon
5 Rounds:
3 Pull-ups, +35 lbs
20 Push Press, 45 lbs
20 DB swings, 35 lbs

6:38

Daniel Mays
02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
It amazes me. You are such an animal, but your press, whilst not terrible, certainly seems to be a bit behind. Still, only way to get better is to work on it! I know your friend always calls you on it, but I really do think HSPU's are a great way to Grease the groove on the press. Kind of like walking around with a 135# barbell in your pocket you can press.

Excited to work out with you sometime this week. Does App have bumper plates?

Danny

Enrique Billington
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Great job on the 170 snatch. If you're interested, I too had a press that was lagging behind my squat and power clean (310 and 255%* * respectfully), with me being able to put up about 130 as a 1RM on the strict press. I found the only thing that broke that vicious cycle of regression the press was multiple sets of low reps, particularly 8x2. When my press max was 130 I would start off the first week of the cycle at 120, then 125 the next week, 135 etc until I couldn't progress. I eventually got to 160 until my press stopped progressing, and once I got there I just cut the sets and increased the reps by one, per week, three press days a week. I felt 5x5 and the Texas method never got me anywhere, a lot of other people have told me the same about the press. Perhaps you might want to give it a try if you want to break that press in and even things out, just my two cents.

* * edit: that's a squat clean actually.

Ryan Brown
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Danny, App has bumper plates and platforms. Yet they still give us shit for dropping the weights sometimes. But, you can train o-lifts pretty hard without worry. I'm excited to have you training with us. And you're right about my press.

"Whilst not terrible" ??

Don't sugar coat it, buddy. My press SUCKS! :)

Enrique,

I really appreciate the insights. Up until your story, I haven't heard of anybody else with this same problem as me. I may try your approach, but for now, the HSPU negs I'm using seems to be doing a decent job and I'm especially hopeful given today's PR. I'm also wondering, back when your press was weak, were your bench press numbers also lagging behind? Or was it just your Overhead pressing strength that needed work?

Enrique Billington
03-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey Ryan,

I'm glad you enjoyed reading that. As you said the HSPUs definitely help and got that new PR, they help a great deal with the sticking point of the press IMO, great exercise.

I learned about this method first from the Weightlifting Encyclopedia by Artie Dreschler, and when I tried it I was hooked on it. This was "popularized" some fifty years ago by John Davis, the legendary American weightlifter, and he too felt it was the best way to press, you can read his article about it here.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-training-for-press-john-davis.html

My opinion on the matter, however amateur and un-supported it may be.. The press is a very difficult movement. It's not like the squat or the deadlift, you have far fewer prime movers and smaller muscle groups to work with in this exercise. Very few people have the genetics necessary to be a strong presser from the get go, it demands an anatomical build that is hard to come by. My opinion is that the press has to be trained for by developing the neuromuscular efficiency to get past the sticking point, that is when it's near your nose, and that's best done with heavy weights for low reps and a lot of sets to really ingrain that particular movement in to your head. The force applied and the "feel" of completing the last reps in a 5x5 scheme for the press is nothing like that with 8x2, in 5x5 you're totally exhausted and your form has a tendency to be sacrificed, I.E. forward bar trajectory and shaking in the boots. I treat the press like the clean, the snatch, etc.. Every time I go to a new set I have to be fresh and I find that 8x2 is the only way to do that, for me at least.

Best of luck to you my friend.

Chris Salvato
03-01-2009, 08:04 AM
As stated by most of these people, your press does suck.

Dude, as I said in the past its really a tough movement and it is extremely frustrating. The methods Enrique outlined may prove to be very useful.

Your Jerk is also very impressive though, considering your pansy ass pressing strength. As I said in the past, i found that a good way to work on Jerks while improving the press was to do heavy doubles/triples of jerks with slow, controlled negatives. IMHO this will help the jerk and the press and prepare you better for x-fit.

I'm still a fan of HSPU, full ROM, though :P

Kind of just bored and throwing my 2 in there :)

Ryan Brown
03-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all this info, guys.

I read the article that Enrique posted the link to. 4 days of pressing/week is intense. Once this full ROM HSPU strategy I'm using stops working, I may try to work it into my programming 3 days/week. I think 4 would just be asking for overreaching issues.

Ryan Brown
03-01-2009, 02:51 PM
3/1/09

Rest Day

Ryan Brown
03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
3/2/09

Back Squats
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 2

295 x 3
305 x 3 (fail)

I had some pain in my left knee when I was down in the hole. Not really intense, but bothersome. I also just wasn't feeling strong today. I may be pushing the limits of my recovery. Time for more food and more sleep.

Planche/Front Lever
6 Sets:

6s tuck planche hold
rest 1 min.
10s tuck FL hold
rest 1 min.

Metcon

5 Rounds:
200m run
20 p-bar dips
10 SDLHP, 115 lbs

13:41

Ryan Brown
03-03-2009, 09:55 AM
3/3/09

Rest Day

I've experienced some symptoms of overreaching over the past 48 hours. Loss of appetite, poor performance accompanied by joint pain(yesterday's squats), and the most frustrating one for me, trouble sleeping at night despite feeling really tired all day. It's just like when I was overreaching in December, but this time I'm catching it early. So, I'm going to rest today, rest tomorrow, do some light o-lifting on Thursday and then I'll be heading back to Raleigh for my spring break. Over the break I'll probably just drop into my affiliate for a few of their wods. I'll try to do some light barbell, planche and Front Lever work to keep the motor pathways fresh. I also just realized I can do band assisted full ROM HSPU at CFNC, so I'll probably do some of those, with heavy assist. The whole time I'm gonna be eating big and sleeping in. I should return to Boone ready to hit it.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Good stuff Ryan, sounds like a pretty good recuperative plan. I have a question, have you ever done work with power racks or something similar? I think I'm going to start doing jerks from half squat position in the rack, or simply concentric jerks and presses from the rack with the bar at nose level, to work on the "sticking point" of the press and put some power on to the jerk. What do you think about this training?

Looking for suggestions from everyone else as well.

Ryan Brown
03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Enrique,

My opinion is that starting a press at nose level by removing it from the rack at such a height could be a good way to work a sticking point. I've never heard of it before but, it seems to makes sense. Chris Salvato has suggested push jerking a heavy weight and doing a negative press. You could use this method, paying close attention to the bar speed as it goes through the sticking point. I don't have a lot of experience with ironing out specific sticking points. I'd ask some of the other guys on these boards.

I don't understand what you're saying about using that method for Jerks. Explain it more clearly if possible.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Edit: On second thought you are completely right, that would indeed neglect that specific part of the lift, which is essential for the development of the right technique, which involves as fast a switch from dipping as possible. What could I have been thinking?

VVVV

Ryan Brown
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Hmmm, maybe. I would be hesitant to use that method because the timing of the dip-drive or stretch-reflex or whatever you want to call it, is a skill and it certainly allows you to have a more powerful hip extension. Training a "jerk" without that stretch-reflex may not necessarily carry over to regular jerks because the motor recruitment pattern may differ significantly.

Ryan Brown
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
3/4/09

Rest Day

I had to work up to a Squat 1RM for Biomechanics lab. I quit at 308 lbs. That odd knee pain on Monday was gone.

Every now and then I visit Men's Health and Men's Fitness websites to see what the mainstream is up to. Men's health is usually the more "with it" of the 2. I just saw an article recommending tire flips. Kudos to them. However, I laughed when I read a banner ad telling me I could gain 10 lbs of muscle in 16 weeks. I thought, "10 lbs, in 16 weeks? GOMAD+SS gave me 15 in 12 weeks!"

Ryan Brown
03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
As a side note, I'll mention that I'm eating a LOT during this recovery period. In zone language, it looks like this:

Daily:
24 P
16 C
80 F

Each meal (4 meals/day):
6 P
3 C
20 F

This is all coming from pretty solid paleo-ish sources. Turkey, Eggs, Chicken, Tuna, Mayonnaise, Apples, Grapes, Canteloupe, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Whole Milk, Cheese, Cashews, Almonds, and Macadamia nuts are the only things I've eaten in the last 48 hours.

I'll continue this intake level for now, and if it feels good when I resume training I may just keep it here, with a few less carbs.

Ryan Brown
03-05-2009, 06:48 PM
3/5/09

Rest Day

I'm back in Raleigh, NC for spring break.

Ryan Brown
03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
3/6/09

Rest Day

Feeling good. Still eating like a horse. Anxious to get back to training on Monday.

Daniel Mays
03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
You hitting up CFNC in the morning tomorrow?

Danny

Ryan Brown
03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Not tomorrow. Monday, for sure.

Ryan Brown
03-07-2009, 05:29 PM
3/7/09

Rest Day

Did a few odd ring dips in the garage today. Nothing too strenuous.

Ryan Brown
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
3/8/09

I got some kind of food poisoning or stomach bug last night. I was up all night vomiting. Not fun. I feel exhausted and dehydrated. Hopefully I can sleep it off tonight and train tomorrow.

Steven Low
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
3/8/09

I got some kind of food poisoning or stomach bug last night. I was up all night vomiting. Not fun. I feel exhausted and dehydrated. Hopefully I can sleep it off tonight and train tomorrow.
That sucks man.. hopefully it's not the vomitting + diarrhea one. Eat as much as you can and stay hydrated!

Ryan Brown
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM
It is precisely the vomiting+Diarrhea one. I'm coming out of it, though. I traced it back to bad chicken from Moe's Southwest Grill.

Daniel Mays
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Ah... good old anabolic Moe's. I am going to head to CFNC and max out clean and jerk before the heavy grace today at around 4:00. Hope to see you there.

Ryan Brown
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
3/9/09

Rest Day

Sorry, Danny. I just wasn't feeling up to it today. I still feel kind of sluggish and have no appetite. I have REALLY been wanting to do that WOD too!

Daniel Mays
03-10-2009, 10:25 AM
No Problem. I actually didn't impress much with the clean and jerks(went for max, didn't do the WOD). I'm posting a video of it on the weightlifting forum here soon. It's addicting to watch yourself do the moves, in slow frame by frame motion.

You'll feel better, and get some good food and veggies in ya.

Ryan Brown
03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
3/10/09

Gymnastics
Several skin the cats
A few adv. tuck front lever attempts
A few tuck Back Lever attempts

Pretty low-key and unregimented. The front levers felt really strong. I think the back-off week did me some serious good.

Back Squats
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3

Just some light work. Taking it easy for now.

Metcon
4 Rounds:
400m run
10 Burpee Pull-ups
10 Paralette Push-ups

12:57

Ryan Brown
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
3/11/09

Easy work day. Nothing too serious.

Box Jumps

I walked into the gym to find Jason putting the finishing touches on our new 36'' box. I started jumping on it and before I knew it I had a couple 45's stacked on top of it and figured, "what the hell? let's go for a max."

I got up to 44 inches. That's about an inch over my navel. These were from a stand-still, without a step-in or run-up.

Gymnastics

I spent 20 minutes pretty actively playing around with Parallette handstands, tuck planches and L-sits. My tuck planche did not feel strong today. At first I thought it was just because I wasn't used to doing it on the Parallettes, then I tried it on the floor and it still didn't feel very good. Hopefully it's just a rusty motor pathway from the 10 days off. I thought this was strange though, given how strong my FL felt yesterday, even after the time off.

Ryan Brown
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
3/12/09

Parkour

I set up a little parkour sequence that involved jumping from a plyo-box to the pull-up bar, turning myself around on the bar and laching back onto the plyo-box. I did that about 20 times, incrementally increasing the distance between the bar and the box.

Metcon

2 rounds:
10 Power Snatches, 95 lbs
Run 400m
20 KB swings ,55 lbs
Run 400m

8:56

I liked this one. I did all the swings unbroken without trouble. It made me want to try my hand at Helen in the near future. I bet I could go sub-9.

Ryan Brown
03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
3/13/09

Snatch
45 x 3
95 x 3
135 x 1
154 x 1 x 4 (failed first 3)

Clean
135 x 2
164 x 1
198 x 1

Deadlift
264 x 1
308 x 1
330 x 1

Metcon

"Barbara"

20 pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 sit-ups
50 Squats

5 individually timed rounds. 3:00 rest between each.

Cumulative Rounds time = 18:24

Ryan Brown
03-14-2009, 11:30 PM
3/14/09

Rest Day

Ryan Brown
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
3/15/09

Rest Day

Ryan Brown
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
3/16/09

Back Squats
45 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 3

295 x 5
310 x 5 (PR attempt, failed on 3rd rep)

Didn't get the PR, but I'm fine with that considering I haven't squatted heavy in 2 weeks. There's always next Monday.

Planche/Front Lever
5 Rounds:

5s tuck planche
rest 1:00
10s tuck Front Lever
rest 1:00

These felt good. I feel like i'm leaning forward more and getting my hips higher on my tuck planche. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.

Metcon
Full ROM, "Half-Cindy"

AMRAP in 10:00
5 Chest-to-Bar pull ups
10 Chest-to-floor push ups
15 Air Squats

10 Rounds, 5 Pull ups, 6 Push Ups

Ryan Brown
03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
3/17/09

Full ROM HSPU
4x2 negatives, 7s each

Deadlifts
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 1

315 x 3
335 x 3
345 x 3

It was another frustrating, chalk-free DL day. I struggled to hold onto 345. I was resting 10 seconds between reps to wipe my hands on my shirt and re-grip. I'm going to invest in some chalk before next week.

Metcon
2008 CF games DL/Burpee WOD

5 Rounds:
5 DL's, 275 lbs
10 Burpees

3:57

All the studs were cranking this out in sub-3:00 last summer. I've got a little work to do.

Chris Salvato
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
You're close...closer than me...

If my knee heels, how about we train for the '11 games in parallel and then compete against one another :P I need a good knee to get back to metconning, though :P

That said, I would start training burpee muscle ups....i got a feeling those may be coming up this year :)

Ryan Brown
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm down for the '11 games. I'm still young, so maybe that will be "my year."

Burpee Muscle ups would be awful. I think the qualifiers will have pretty conventional CF wods, so I'll focus on FMT (foreign movement training) if/when I qualify for Aromas. I'm really not sure how I'll stack up against the other folks in my region because there aren't any well known fire-breathers in the area. I'm just going in and doing the best I can. We'll see where that gets me.

Ryan Brown
03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
3/18/09

1 Month, 28 Days until Qualifiers

Rest Day

I can't walk. My posterior chain and a good bit of my quads are toast from the past 2 days. Today I designed my next CFSB cycle with a few tweaks, including slightly less metcon and the addition of a Supine Press day to help out my Press.

Ryan Brown
03-20-2009, 06:18 AM
3/19/09

Clean & Jerk
95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 1
185 x 1 x 2
195 x 1
205 x 1 x 2
215 x 1
225 x 1 (PR)

I could have probably gone for 230, but I'm playing it safe.

Back Squat
45 x 8
135 x 5
225 x 5

245 x 17

Ryan Brown
03-20-2009, 05:54 PM
3/20/09

1 Month, 26 Days to RQ

Parkour

Got outside for some movement. Spent an hour on linking some vaults down a handicap ramp. Then went to my favorite campus spot and ran a few time trials through a course involving some tall wall climbs and couple vaults. Got down to 27 seconds. I think I might start using that route as a bench mark.

Ryan Brown
03-20-2009, 06:42 PM
3/20/09, Cont'd.

Planche

8 x 5s Tuck Planche Holds

Got one attempt on video. I will post the link to that so some of you more experienced guys can check it out and give me some feedback.

Edit: Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KFEiy1M8-8

Ryan Brown
03-21-2009, 03:23 PM
3/21/09

Press
45 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 3

115 x 2 x 8

95 x 10

Parkour
Worked on some agility/balance/foot placement for about 20 minutes. Then some small wall climbs and vaults. A little rail balancing sprinkled throughout. It bothers me that my Parkour training is not as quantifiable as the stuff I do in the gym.

Ryan Brown
03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
3/22/09

Rest Day

Did some GTG push-ups throughout the day. Those push-ups in the 10 minute Cindy I did OWNED me, so I want to get better at them.

Ryan Brown
03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
3/23/09

Back Squat
45 x 6
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 3

295 x 3
305 x 3
310 x 3 (PR)

I could feel it while I was warming up that it would be a PR day. 300+ lbs on my back hasn't felt this easy since SS. Good stuff.

High Rep Back Squat
245 x 17

Same as last week, but my final reps looked prettier this week.

Metcon
10 Power Cleans, 135 lbs
30 Double Unders

8 Power Cleans, 135 lbs
30 Double Unders

And so on, until...

2 Power Cleans, 135 lbs
30 Double unders

4:35

Should have done 155 on those Cleans. I like this one though, and will likely use it again. (With 155)

Chris Salvato
03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Beastly times man. That's really impressive. Sure, you have a bit to go to be a top dog in the CF Games but you're definitely on the right track!

I thought u had more than 310 on your back squat though...i coulda swore u were doing 315 for 5 at one point. How is that a PR?

EDIT - BTW, your Tuck Planche has your hips a bit too high. Tuck tighter and keep your hips in line with your shoulders. Still a nice hold, though.

Steven Low
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Your acetabulum/hip joint should be as high as your shoulders. You are about 45 degrees too high with your tuck planche. Basically, you're gonna have to lean forward more and drop the hips to do it correctly.

BTW, beastly times.

Chris Salvato
03-23-2009, 09:29 PM
One more thing -- you also jump into your planche. Thats bad news. Just lean forward onto your hands until you feel your legs go weightless. It helps to keep your hips down and also won't put a dynamic load on the shoulders...not that dynamic loading is bad but you are doing a static hold :P

Ryan Brown
03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys. "Hips too high" was the FIRST thing I thought upon reviewing the footage. I'll work on that tomorrow, as it is my Planche day, and perhaps take some more video.

Oh, and Chris, I was squatting 315 for 3x5 and even up to 330 for 3x5, but this was all at a bodyweights ranging between 170-180. Now I weigh 160 and have lost some strength from leaning out, so that 310 is a PR for me at this bodyweight.

Ryan Brown
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
3/24/09

Planche/Front Lever
6 x 10s Tuck FL
8 x 5s Tuck PL

These were done as super sets with 1:30 rest between each effort. I took 3:00 between Planche holds at the end when I ran out of necessary FL sets to put between them. I corrected my tuck planche position today and got my hips down where the need to be.

I'm going to start using my 2nd PL/FL training day for dynamic movement in these positions. For now I will be using Pseudo-Planche Push-ups (Abreviated as PPPU from now on.) for my Planche and tuck FL pull-ups or tuck ice cream makers for my FL. These should create a nice little stimulus.

Press
45 x 8
65 x 4
95 x 4
105 x 2

115 x 2 x 8

I'll try to progress to 117 next week.

High Rep Press
85 x 12
85 x 9
85 x 6

I should have used 90 lbs for these. They were hard, but not as hard as they could have been.

Metcon
21-15-9
Box Jumps, 20''
DB Swings, 55 lbs
SDLHP, 95 lbs
Finish with an 800m run

8:47

Ryan Brown
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
3/25/09

1 month, 21 days until Regional Qualifier

Rest Day

Ryan Brown
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
3/26/09

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 2

345 x 5 x 2

I managed to sneak in some chalk and apply a little just before my work sets. It's a WORLD of difference. 345 felt great in my hands, like it wasn't going anywhere.

High Rep Deadlift
15 x 275
12 x 275
9 x 275

Metcon
10-7-4
Thrusters, 115lbs
Burpees

2:34

Ryan Brown
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
3/27/09

Bench Press
45 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 3

175 x 5 x 3

Metcon
AMRAP in 20:00
10 Pull-ups
10 Front Squats, 95 lbs
10 P-Bar Dips

11 rounds, 2 Front Squats

I was supposed to do my HSPU negatives today, but I felt a nap was more important.

Ryan Brown
03-27-2009, 04:42 PM
3/27/09(Cont'd)

Almost forgot, in the AM before doing any of the stuff listed above, I did a Back Squat 1RM for an exercise science dept. experiment.

352 x 1 (PR)

This was a big PR, especially given my bwt.

Ryan Brown
03-28-2009, 08:56 PM
3/28/09

PL/FL
5 Super-sets, 90s rest between efforts:
5 PPPU
3 Tuck FL Ice Cream Makers

Ice Cream Makers will be abbreviated "ICM" from here on out. Having to type out "ice cream makers" in my log hurts my gonads and emasculates me.

Power Cleans
135 x 2 x 2
155 x 3

185 x 2
195 x 2
200 x 2
205 x 2 x 3

It was hard to get a good, powerful pull on these because my hands hurt and I'm unbelievably sore from yesterday's metcon. Not my best performance.

Ryan Brown
03-29-2009, 01:45 PM
3/29/09

Rest Day

1 Month, 17 Days until Regional Qualifiers

Ryan Brown
03-30-2009, 05:38 PM
3/30/09
I was pleasantly surprised to weigh in at 164.4 today when I got to the gym. That was without shoes, and having just urinated. Usually I'm in the 161-162 range under those circumstances. I'll check again tomorrow to see if it was a fluke, but I may have put on some muscle in the last couple weeks.

Back Squat
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 2

295 x 3
315 x 3 x 2 (PR)

High Rep Press
45 x 8
75 x 5

95 x 10
95 x 7
95 x 4

So, normally I would do my ME Squat and HR Squat today. I decided to try swapping the HR sets on Press and Squat this week to see how it feels. So, tomorrow will be ME Press and HR Squat. I think my HR sets will be better without having been performed immediately following ME work on the same exercise.

Metcon
2 Rounds:
15 Squat Cleans, 95 lbs
15 Pull-ups
Run 400m

5:54

OHS
Decided to do a few just for fun.
135 x 10

Ryan Brown
03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
3/31/09

PL/FL
8 x 6s Tuck PL holds
6 x 10s Tuck FL holds

These were not done as Super Sets. 2-3 min. rest between efforts.

Press
45 x 5 x 2
95 x 4
105 x 2

117 x 2 x 8

High Rep Squat
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3

245 x 20 (PR)

Metcon
7 Rounds for time:
10 Hang Squat DB cleans, 40lbs each hand
10 Pushups

8:25

Ryan Brown
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
4/1/09

Supposed to be a rest day but due to a couple obligations it was actually quite active.

First for the Exercise Science experiment I'm participating in, I had to work up to a 1RM clean, followed by several sets of 2 at various percentages of my 1RM.

Then, I had to go do a parkour photo shoot for a school newspaper article featuring parkour, that I will be in. Pretty exciting.

Ryan Brown
04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
4/2/09

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 4
275 x 2
315 x 2

335 x 5
355 x 5 (PR)

Metcon
"Fran"
21-15-9
95 lb Thrusters
Pull-ups

2:48 (PR!)

Forgot to do one Thruster in my round of 15. HUGE PR, though. I was hoping for under 3:30. I am ecstatic. The video of this effort can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-arJWtwlHE&feature=channel_page

Chris Salvato
04-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Very nicely done man -- very nicely done indeed.

Daniel Mays
04-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Nice Job Ryan. Looks like you have a good chance at making the games especially if they put in some weird stuff since your good at jumping around doing Parkour. Keep working hard. App's gym is way better than ours and more people do exercises that actually work out there, maybe out of necessity who knows why?

Danny

Ryan Brown
04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
4/3/09

HSPU
5x3 Full ROM negatives

Did these on paralettes. They feel like they're progressing.

Bench Press
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 3

180 x 5 x 3

Metcon
3 Rounds for time:
4 HSPU
8 C2B Pull-ups
12 DL, 225 lbs
16 Box Jumps, 24''

4:24

Ryan Brown
04-05-2009, 10:38 PM
4/4/09

Planche/Front Lever
5 x 5 PPPU's
5 x 3 Tuck ICM

Did these as super sets, 90s rest between efforts. Feeling strong with both.

Snatch
45 x 5
88 x 2
110 x 2
132 x 1 x 3
142 x 1 x 2
154 x 1 (Fail)
154 x 1 x 2
161.5 x 1 x 2 (Failed both)

Ugh, not my best performance. I was a bit low on sleep, but I hate making excuses. My PR is 170 and I was hoping to at least match that.

Ryan Brown
04-05-2009, 10:40 PM
4/5/09

Rest Day

My nutrition kind of sucked today, for the first time in awhile. And my sleep was NOT very good this weekend. But I should be back on track now.

Ryan Brown
04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
4/06/09

Back Squat
45 x 8
135 x 4
225 x 4
275 x 3

295 x 5
305 x 5

High Rep Press
45 x 6
65 x 4

With 1:00 rest between sets:
100 x 10
100 x 7
100 x 4 (PR) for this protocol

Metcon
"Heavy Helen"
3 Rounds for time:
Run 400m
21 DB swings, 70 lbs
12 C2B pull-ups

8:38

This was one of the WODs at the European Qualifiers held this past weekend. The best time there was an unbelievable 7:49. I surprised myself on this one, especially considering my PR on regular "Helen" is only 9:33. I probably could have run faster if anything.

Ryan Brown
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
4/7/09

Planche/Front Lever
4 x 6s Tuck Planche
2 x 5s Tuck Planche

5 x 12s Tuck Front Lever

The planche holds didn't feel too good today. Not sure why that was. After my isometric holds, I experimented with Tuck Planche Push Ups on my paralettes. I can do solid negatives, and I'm going to start using those on my dynamic day this week.

Press
45 x 5
65 x 4
95 x 3
105 x 2
115 x 2

121 x 2 x 8

These felt good. I'm going to try to progress to 125 next week. That will be the real test.

Back Squat
45 x 5
135 x 4
185 x 3
225 x 3

250 x 20 (PR)

Metcon
2 Rounds:
5 Clean and Jerk, 155 lbs (2 hands anyhow)
10 Push-ups
5 Clean and Jerk, 155 lbs (2 hands anyhow)
10 P-bar Dips

5:07

Chris Salvato
04-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I would keep the holds for a little while longer but i think its time you started doing TFLPU and TPPU. Isometric holds get boring fast and progress stagnates quickly. You can make a lot more progress with the dynamic movements, imho.

Ryan Brown
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
4/08/09

Rest Day

I'll try TPPUs on Saturday and try to get a video on youtube for you to look at.

Ryan Brown
04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
4/9/09

Rest Day

It was supposed to be a DL/metcon day, but I felt kind of tired all. I probably could have trained, but decided to just rest instead. I'll try to DL heavy after my O-lifts on Saturday.

Ryan Brown
04-10-2009, 04:55 PM
4/10/09

Full ROM HSPU
2 x 3 Negatives on Paralettes
3 x 3 Negatives on Plyo-boxes

Switched to boxes, b/c the P-lettes at my affiliate are a bit short and hindered my ROM by just a coulple inches. These felt REALLY solid today. I'm anxious to test my 1RM Press.

Bench Press
45 x 8
95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 2

185 x 5 x 2

Metcon
"Jackie"
1000m Row
50 Thrusters, 45 lbs
30 Pull-ups

6:55

I suck at rowing.

Enrique Billington
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Ryan I haven't been to your log in a long time, I see you have been changing your press routine quite a bit! It looks great. Do inform us of your new press 1RM soon.

Ryan Brown
04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah, Enrique. Tuesdays I do 8 x 2 heavy presses. I started conservative and trying to progress just a bit each week. (Got the idea from that article that you linked me to) Then on Fridays I do Bench Press 3 x 5 or 5 x 3, and 5 x 3 Full ROM HSPU negatives. Everything has been going well so far. This coming week I'm going to attempt 125 for 8 x 2. If I get up to 130 x 2 x 8, I will know real progress has been made. So far, so good.

Ryan Brown
04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
4/11/09

Warmed-up on the Rower.

Clean and Jerk
45 x 5
95 x 3
135 x 2
155 x 3

185 x 1
195 x 1
205 x 1 x 3
215 x 1 x 3
225 x 1

Deadlift
315 x 1
345 x 1

350 x 5 (PR)

Planche/Front Lever
Done as super sets:
5 x 2 TPPU
5 x 3 TFLPU

Here's a short video of my 2nd set of these from that day:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvqviiymsDo

If Steve, Chris or anybody else wants to check this out and give me feedback, I'd appreciate it. On the TPPU I know my chest rises faster than my hips and my hips have to "catch up" at the end. This worsens with fatigue, which makes me think it will go away as I get stronger on these. Is this a huge technical problem right now, or should I just keep fighting through it as best I can?

Ryan Brown
04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
4/12/09

Rest Day

I did a little bit of light parkour balance-work and played around on my rings in the garage. I may have been a little bit more active than I should have been, given that it was a rest day.

Ryan Brown
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
4/13/09

Rest Day

I was just feeling tired today and my ankle is hurting quite badly when I walk on it. I'm not sure what happened to it. I might take a rest day tomorrow as well depending on how the ankle feels. If I do that, I'll probably make this whole week a back-off week, test 1RMs and then program my training for the final month before competition.

Ryan Brown
04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
4/14/09

Rest Day

My ankle is still hurting a lot. Once I get back to school I'll take it to the infirmary to have them look at it. With only 1 month until the qualifiers, I'm pretty concerned with this injury. Hopefully it will be trainable by the week's end.

Steven Low
04-14-2009, 01:22 PM
What'd you do to the ankle? Overuse?

If Steve, Chris or anybody else wants to check this out and give me feedback, I'd appreciate it. On the TPPU I know my chest rises faster than my hips and my hips have to "catch up" at the end. This worsens with fatigue, which makes me think it will go away as I get stronger on these. Is this a huge technical problem right now, or should I just keep fighting through it as best I can?

You're not strong enough to do the TPPUs right now.... I'd say keep working them though as you're close.

Focus on keeping the hips level on all of these PL and FL variation pushups and pullups. They're VERY tough at the bottom and near the top when your arms are about to go straight.

The middle is pretty easy (relatively speaking).. which is why you see a lot of "planche pushups" on youtube that never go to each extreme range of motion and push up and down in the middle... basically those are bogus. :)

Chris Salvato
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree -- close enough. Focus on fixing the form and at least rotating up to proper form when your hips sag down. The rotation actually will work you though that full shoulder ROM....but the hold is what is key. Keep it up and focus on form and I reckon it will fix itself as you get stronger.

I did the same thing, btw.

Steven Low
04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah, you coming to beast coast this year? :p

Chris Salvato
04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
you should, Ryan -- I am going :D

Ryan Brown
04-15-2009, 01:02 PM
4/15/09

Rest Day

Some odd sets of GTG push-ups and HSPU's throughout the day.

Foot still hurts. I went to the infirmary and they gave me a wrap. I'm steadily taking in advil and Icing it 3 times a day. It might feel a little better today but just minimally. I'm hoping tomorrow will see a significant difference.

As for Beast Coast, idk yet. It looks like a great time but idk if I can afford the trip immediately after having driven up to the Regional Qualifier the prior weekend.

Ryan Brown
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
4/16/09

Got back in the gym today to work on some random stuff. Foot feels MUCH better, but not 100% yet.

Back Squat
45 x 8
135 x 6
185 x 4
225 x 4
265 x 3

295 x 3
320 x 3 (PR)

L-pull ups
6 x 3

Metcon
Double Alt. Tabata:
Air Squats
Push ups

Total score of: 269

Ryan Brown
04-18-2009, 12:53 PM
4/17/09

Full ROM HSPU

5 x 3 Negatives

These feel stronger every time I do them. I'll try to get some video online for Chris & Steve to look at because I feel so much better with my gymnastics related exercises when those guys have signed off on my technique.

Ryan Brown
04-18-2009, 12:59 PM
4/18/09

Fight Gone Bad
This weekend finds me in Hickory, NC. I dropped in to CF Hickory and they were doing FGB.
I scaled the box jumps down to 13'' instead of the rx'd 20'', on account of my foot. Part of me wanted to hit this as rx'd but I think this was a good decision. The foot is steadily feeling better and better.
So, I scored a 386. That's a 60 point PR, with a slightly smaller box.

Random Gymnastics
After that I hung around the gym for an hour or so working on all of the following at a very relaxed pace:
L-pullups
HSPU
Rings HS
Rings L-sit
Paralette L-sit
Paralette HS to L-sit
OAHS on the wall
Weighted Pull-ups
Bar Muscle ups
ring muscle ups
FL, BL and Planche stuff

Ryan Brown
04-19-2009, 05:32 PM
4/19/09

Rest Day

Ok, this last week has been a little off. My nutrition wasn't as dialed in as it has been in weeks past and that small foot injury kept me out of the gym. But starting now, I'm back on track. I've got 4 weeks left to train before the qualifiers and I plan on resting a lot on that 4th week. So, I have 3 weeks to train hard. Time to get serious.

Ryan Brown
04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
4/20/09

Planche & Front Lever
3 x 12 s TFL holds
2 x 9 s TFL holds
5 x 7 s TPL holds

Alternated, 90 s rest between efforts
Planche holds felt really good. After 7 s I still had a lot in the tank, every set. My FL holds were negatively effected by vicious triceps DOMs from my gymnastics session on Saturday. That's why I had to take them down to 9 s. I just couldn't keep my arms extended.

Back Squat
45 x 8
135 x 6
225 x 5
265 x 3

295 x 4
315 x 5 (PR)

Had more in the tank. I'll be looking for 320 x 5 next week. Or maybe 325 x 3. Either way, it's a PR @ this bwt.

Metcon
SoCal Regional Qualifier WOD

6 Rounds for time:
30 Air Squats
10 C2B pull-ups
5 C+J (anyhow), 155 lbs

11:57

C+J's smoked me. It's just so heavy. Gotta get bigger and stronger for next year. I'm already psyched for my next mass gain cycle, which I plan to begin in August.

David Boyle
04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Awesome job...I saw that metcon the other day on the site.

Going to have to give that one a go.

Ryan Brown
04-21-2009, 09:02 PM
4/21/09

Press
45 x 5
65 x 5
95 x 3
115 x 2
120 x 2

125 x 2 (too heavy for sets across, counted it as my first work set)
123 x 2 x 7

Progress on these is slow but steady. Next week I we will see about 125.

Back Squat
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3

255 x 20 (PR)

Metcon
AMRAP in 5:00
10 Deadlifts, 185 lbs
10 Push-ups

7 Rounds, 5 DL's

Ryan Brown
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
4/22/09

Rest Day

Pretty sore from the past 2 days. Sleep has been terrific all week. 8-10 hours a night. I'll try to continue that trend.

Ryan Brown
04-23-2009, 02:35 PM
4/23/09

My bodyweight is officially up to 165. My strength reflects this increase.

Deadlift
135 x 6
225 x 5
275 x 2
315 x 1

345 x 3
375 x 3 PR

High Rep Deadlift
315 x 12
315 x 9
315 x 6

1:00 rest between sets

Bench Press
45 x 8
95 x 8
135 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 2

185 x 5 x 3

Ryan Brown
04-25-2009, 10:03 AM
4/24/09
Pure gymnastics

Planche
5 x 2 TPPU

My hips stayed very even with my shoulders on these. Much better than last time.

HSPU
5 x 3 Negatives

Front Lever
1 x 3 TFLPU
3 x 4 TFLPU

Ryan Brown
04-25-2009, 02:20 PM
4/25/09
Qualifier "dress rehearsal"
3 WODs

Metcon 1
SoCal Qual. WOD
3 Rounds:
450m run
30 OHS, 95 lbs

9:18

Metcon 2
10 Rounds:
Swim 25 yards
10 Burpees

13:00

Never done a WOD with swimming before. It was interesting. The water helps to keep you cool and that's a plus.

Metcon 3 will be performed in 2 hours. It's one of the Great Basin Qualifier WODs. We'll see how it goes.

To be continued...

Ryan Brown
04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
4/25/09 cont'd

Metcon 3
5 Rounds:
7 DLs, 275 lbs
30 Air Squats
7 HSPUs

5:30

I was pretty happy with my performance this one. I didn't break anything up. The only place I think I could have gone faster was the air squats. I'd love to see something like this in my region.

So, today felt good. I felt like I was able to hit each WOD really hard. I ate about 4 carb blocks worth of mashed sweet potatoes and 4 blocks of protein immediately PWO, after the first 2 WODs. I think this helped. I then tried to get my fat in the meals between WODs. I probably should have eaten even more fat for these meals than I did. It's something to keep in mind for next Saturday. I'm psyched for a rest day tomorrow. I'm exhausted.

Ryan Brown
04-26-2009, 09:23 AM
4/26/09

Absolutely a rest day.

I don't feel too sore today. I feel like I could certainly do a WOD full-on if I had to, which is good because I will, come Sunday of the qualifiers. My urine was pretty dark this morning, so I'm gonna focus on getting on top of my hydration today. The weather here in Boone is really nice so I may try to get outside and hike or something.

Ryan Brown
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
4/27/09

Planche & Front Lever
5 x 7s TPL holds
5 x 12s,TFL holds
Supersets, 90s rest between efforts.

Same as last week, but both progressions felt much more solid this week for their respective lengths of time. Maybe I'll add 1s to each next week. I think the TPL could definitely handle it.

Back Squat
45 x 8
135 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 3

295 x 5
320 x 5 PR

I'm fast approaching my SS numbers in the squat. This time, at a lean bwt of 165. Awesome.

High Rep Press
45 x 6
65 x 4
95 x 3

105 x 10
105 x 7
105 x 4
PR

1:00 rest between sets

I was really psyched to see improvement on these. The prospect of my Pressing strength increasing, even just a little bit, makes me ecstatic.

Metcon
Norcal Regional Qual. WOD (Sort of)
Run 400m
30 Burpees
Shoulder-to-OVH, 165 lbs

5:29

I didn't use a rack for that Shoulder-to-OVH. That means I had to clean it every time I dropped the bar. Having a rack would have made a huge difference, because I was only doing those 2 jerks at a time. I'm not sure if they will do those out of a rack at Norcal or not.

Ryan Brown
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Here's a link to some a video on youtube of me doing my HSPU negs from last week. Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HSMDXqPrvA

Ari Kestler
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Have you been zoning for the most part throughout all this? 1/2 Carbs? How strict have you been?

Impressive stuff.

Ryan Brown
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Glad you asked, Ari. Now is a good time to update my log in regards to my diet.

I measure my food in blocks but I don't really consider it zone, because the ratios are so far off from the 40/30/30. I eat 4 meals a day, consisting of:

5 blocks protein
2-3 blocks carbs
20 blocks fat

I eat Paleo with dairy. No grains, no legumes. The vast majority of my fat comes from almond butter. I usually disperse these 4 meals within an 11 hour eating window from 12pm to 11pm. Sometimes I don't start eating until 2pm, resulting in a 15 hour fast, 9 hour eating window. So I guess that could be considered Intermittent Fasting. I try to limit myself to one cheat meal per week but sometimes I have 2. For the next 17 days until the regional qualifier, I'm trying to have none. So far, so good.
This nutrition plan has allowed me to slowly gain muscle mass, while staying pretty lean. I'd estimate my current bf% at 8-10 and I'm currently weighing in around 164 lbs (Up 4 lbs in the past 6 weeks). So far, eating like this is giving me a steady stream of PR's in the gym. That goes for Metcon times, pure strength numbers and gymnastics progressions.

Chris Salvato
04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
What is that? Under 80g carb per day? Thats ballsy stuff - you must work very well under ketosis.

Oh yeh -- how did you learn to butterfly kip? I just cant freakin get it!

Ryan Brown
04-28-2009, 11:07 PM
4/28/09

Press
45 x 8
65 x 5
95 x 3
115 x 2
120 x 2

125 x 2 x 8

These felt good. Slow, but steady progress. I'll shoot for 127 next week.

20 Rep Squat
45 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 3

265 x 19 (SO CLOSE!)

After failing one rep shy of my goal I realized I did 255 x 20 last week. My plan has been 5 lb jumps every week. So, I accidentally went too heavy today, but the fact that I got 19 reps means I definitely would have been able to do 260 x 20. Oh, well. I'll repeat this weight next week and get all my reps and continue progressing.

Metcon
6 rounds:
20 Double Unders
10 p-bar dips

4:37

400m Run, for time

1:02.34 (PR)

That little DU's & Dips couplet wasn't too painful, so I decided to go for a 400m PR. I believe my old PR was 1:08 and that was at a 20 lbs lighter bwt. So, in terms of power output, this was a massive PR. I owe much of it to improved running technique. Sub 1:00 is my next goal.

Ryan Brown
04-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Chris,

It's between 8 and 12 carb blocks a day. Usually I probably end up around 10-11. So that's 90-100g of carbs. Not a lot, but it works for me.

And, as for the butterfly kip, just keep trying. I learned it a lot like I learned double unders and handstand balancing. I just kept working at it and it slowly improved and one day it really clicked. It's become more and more natural ever since.
More specifically, I recommend doing butterfly kips through a smaller ROM. For instance, only pull yourself up halfway before pulling/shooting your head through "the window" and coming back down. This way you can focus on the rhythm of the skill (the hard part) without getting too caught up in the strength it requires. It also seems to be easier to "feel" that rhythm through the smaller ROM. Then you can expand the ROM slowly and eventually get to full Butterfly pullups and even butterfly Chest-to-bar. But the latter are very hard to keep in rhythm.

Ryan Brown
04-29-2009, 05:58 PM
4/29/09

Rest Day

Went hiking for about an hour. Really cool trail with a great view at the top.

Ryan Brown
04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
4/30/09

Cleans
45 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 2
175 x 2
185 x 1
195 x 1

205 x 1
215 x 1 x 2
225 x 1
235 x 1
240 x 1 (PR)
245 x 1 (PR)

Bench Press
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 2

185 x 5
190 x 5 (PR)

High Rep Deadlift
335 x 10
335 x 7
335 x 4
(PR)

Supposed to rest 1:00 between sets, but I took 2:30 between my 1st and 2nd because I was giving a guy some tips on his cleans.

Metcon
3 Rounds:
400m Run
20 Pull-ups
20 GHD sit ups
20 Back Extensions

12:07

I kept the runs fast on this (1:19-1:30) but my pull-up bar got stolen while I was out running for round 2. I tried to switch to another pull-up bar that was very thin and slick. I couldn't hold on to it for more than 5 reps in a row and I could feel the metabolic fire settling down. So, I did my GHD stuff and revisited the pull-ups for that round later on a better bar. The whole thing pissed me off and probably cost me valuable time.

David Boyle
05-01-2009, 06:53 AM
wow...that sucks about your pull-up bar.

That is a pretty mean strenght workout...going to have to give that one a try.

Ryan Brown
05-02-2009, 08:44 AM
5/1/09

Planche
4 x 2 TPPU
2 x 1 TPPU

Full ROM HSPU
5 x 3 Negatives

Front Lever
1 x 3 TFLPU
4 x 2 TFLPU

Muscle Ups
10 x 1

I just played around with these. Initially I was able to pull some strict ones. This was really cool because I have never been able to do that before. I need to get more comfortable with false grip. If these come up at the Midwest games, I think I could do them but they wouldn't be my forte.

Ryan Brown
05-03-2009, 10:17 AM
5/2/09

Metcon 1
From the mid-atlantic regional
21-15-9
Full Squat Snatch, 95 lbs
Pull-ups

6:25

Winning times for this were between 5:30-8:00 with C2B pull-ups. So, I feel pretty good about this.

Metcon 2
2 Rounds:
400m Run
10 Squat Clean and Jerk, 155 lbs

8:15

Intended to do 3 rounds, but the weight room staff kept getting on me for dropping the weights (on platforms), so I called it at 2.

Metcon 3
50 Burpees
50 KB swings, 53 lbs

5:40

My PR for 50 burpees was 3:02 and I did these burpees pretty close to that pace, finishing them in 3:15.