PDA

View Full Version : Raw Food diet

Trygve Lunde
12-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Hello again :D
As always i have some question regarding food. This time its about the raw food diet style. Ive read alot about the diet on there sites and also their book. I find it really fasinating and maybe want to give it a try. But before i do i would like to hear some of your thaughts about this diet, why and why not start?

My goal is superior heath(would be nice to get rid of the asthma,allergy etc)
Superior energy so i can be the best i can be
And have around 6-8% bodyfat. Im around 10-12% now i think, and i dont want to loose the muscles i have now :)

George Mounce
12-11-2008, 06:42 AM
I don't buy into the whole everything must be raw food diet, persay. Food naturally ripens and fermentation naturally occurs.

I tend to be more of the close to raw food. I eat my veggies steamed for the most part or raw, my fruit is raw, and my meats either smoked or medium-rare.

Now, going back, yes I've tried it. I lost both fat and muscle as I had to eat a ton of veggies and fruits. It is a lot of salad, and tends to put you towards vegetarian since unless you have sashimi brought around a lot, your protein is coming from plant sources or raw meat. I'm not a fan of raw meat, I don't mind raw fish though when prepared properly.

Trygve Lunde
12-11-2008, 06:59 AM
how long where u on the raw food diet? did you experience any of the clear headed etc., beautifull skin and all other wonderfull stuff they say will happen :)

George Mounce
12-11-2008, 07:31 AM
how long where u on the raw food diet? did you experience any of the clear headed etc., beautifull skin and all other wonderfull stuff they say will happen :)

6 months. I've always been clear headed, so I'm not sure how that would work. My skin hasn't been bad in almost 16 years now - hormones and puberty did more to my complexion than anything I've ever eaten. I do also think the raw food diet lacks enough things to help healthy gut flora. I noticed a lot more gas. I think kefir and fish oil do more for my health than how raw my veggies are.

Chris Salvato
12-11-2008, 07:42 AM
All those things that claim to be a part of the "raw diet" -- such as clear-headedness, increased focus, beautiful skin -- have also come about when many people switch to paleo.

I am with George on this one -- I think raw food is good but it doesn't necessarily have to be ALL raw ALL the time. I love undercooked meat -- but the thought of eating as much raw beef as I do cooked beef makes me kind of uneasy -- not that I think its unhealthy, I just don't think I would enjoy it as much.

The real issue here is an increase in the quality of food. Getting off breads and pastas will make you feel great whether you switch to all raw natural foods or paleo (which is all natural food, as well).

Notice the trend? Natural foods.

My 2.

Garrett Smith
12-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Are you talking about a "raw" diet that includes meats or one that is vegan?

Most of the raw food info out there is on the vegan option...maybe that is good for short-term cleansing, not good at all long-term IMO.

Trygve Lunde
12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
talking about the vegan stuff yeah, or raw meat i guess u can eat aswell but how does that?

sarena kopciel
12-11-2008, 10:38 AM
When I read "raw food" I also tend to think all raw vegan. And for me, been there , done that for way over a year. Did the green juices, sprouted beans and grains, etc. I did lose some weight and such but my chol was high as was my blood sugar.

Personally, it was not good for me and very difficulty to do long term (although some do!). Now I eat mostly paleo (90%) and as for veggies, in the winter I prefer them steamed and eat far less RAW than in the warmer weather.

Chris Salvato
12-11-2008, 11:05 AM
talking about the vegan stuff yeah, or raw meat i guess u can eat aswell but how does that?

I agree with Dr. G on the long term benefits of the raw vegan approach...but again, just my opinion

Garrett Smith
12-11-2008, 11:13 AM
More info on raw animal-food-including diets:
http://www.rawpaleodiet.org/rvaf-overview.html

Trygve Lunde
12-11-2008, 03:12 PM
thanx again, its so fasinating that people can have so many different opinions about nutrition. Like the raw food people are reffering to studies etc about we dont have the enzymes to eat meat etc. and meat eathers are saying we are not plant eaters. Im getting confused :p i just want the best looking body and feel and be the best as i possibly can

Chris Salvato
12-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Therein lies the importance of experimenting with your body.

Patrick Yeung
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I was raw vegan for awhile when I was doing marathons. I was so skinny and had a fairly high bf compared to know. More around 12-15 compared to 8-10 now.

My diet was mostly made up of fruit. Dates, figs, oranges etc in huge quantities for fuel and large salads for meals.

For calories, I went with lots of nuts and coconut milk/shavings.

You can soak beans in water overnight and eat those as well. It takes alot longer, but whos standing there waiting anyways.

Raw milk was a main source of my protein. Id stay away from raw meat, including fish, from your grocery store, unless it specificly says sashimi grade. Theres a similar rating for raw meat, but I never went that route.

I think a diet of milk, nuts and a variety of fish with mixed in occasional fruits/soaked grains will possibly give ya what youre lookin for. Itll be hard to get enough protein though if youre big.

Trygve Lunde
12-12-2008, 12:43 AM
there is no raw milk here and im allergic to the regulair milk in the shops. But as for fish is np, but that raw food though :)
But yeah that was what i was thinking, eating alot of fruit espacially will make you skinny fat like you said. I cant understand why nobody talks about that on their sites.

Jay Cohen
12-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Trygve;

You're like a fart in a frying pan. Bouncing between Zone, Paleo, IF, supps, training programs, etc.

I'll assume you're 18, living at home, so you're somewhat off the hook, BUT you must develop patience.

Set your goals on paper, develop a program/map to get to those goals and FOLLOW THE DAMN PROGRAM.

Now, here is the hard part for you to wrap your brain around, IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN OVERNIGHT, OR IN 3-6-12 MONTHS. We're talking years of day in, day out training, with LITTLE tweaks to the program, but always tweaking with the goal in mind.

So, you have enough info on this site/CF and a host of other great sites to develop a killer program.

Post your goals in a Workout Log, chart your progress, see ya next year.

Trygve Lunde
12-12-2008, 03:21 AM
im just curious thats all :D but yeah i will continue with my paleo food :) one thing tho, when your making the food and frying the meat on a pan, do you use cold pressed olive oil? or other olive oil? or do u use butter?
people say you shouldnt heat olive oil, thats why im asking

George Mounce
12-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Use olive oil for your salad, don't cook with it. Extra virgin olive oil is edible in its natural state when pressed, and frying tends to ruin that wonderful flavor. Plus you don't cook out the wonderful benefits of it.

Use butter, coconut oil, palm oil, things like that in the pan.

Fenthis Glusos
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
eating alot of fruit espacially will make you skinny fat like you said. I cant understand why nobody talks about that on their sites.

Because its NOT true. The guy above said he used to run marathons - that can easily strip muscle from the body resulting in a higher body fat%. Sometimes I eat 15+ fruits (bananas or oranges) on days that I plan to eat entirely raw, which is uncommon though. I eat mostly cooked food with raw fruits and some raw greens.

Eat the fruit/olives instead of the damn olive oil, too.

Olive oil is over-rated and tastes like shit anyway. You could cook with water if you want to, or some minced garlic, whatever.

In my opinion, Olive oil is to fat what whey protein powders are to protein - i.e. not the greatest source

Trygve Lunde
12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
interesting, i dont like olives :) but can u really cook or fry with water? that would be awesome so i can use my fat to other tasty stuff like nuts etc :D

Chris Salvato
12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Use olive oil for your salad, don't cook with it. Extra virgin olive oil is edible in its natural state when pressed, and frying tends to ruin that wonderful flavor. Plus you don't cook out the wonderful benefits of it.

Use butter, coconut oil, palm oil, things like that in the pan.

Maybe I should have PM'd this...so if thats the case, george, just PM me back...

I cook with EVOO all the time because .... well ... i have so damn much of it.

How does cooking ruin EVOO? It would be in my financial interests to conserve it if there are better cooking options. Why are butter, coconut oil, palm oil, etc better for cooking?

Bear in mind, I don't mind the taste of cooked EVOO...but I am always looking to improve and would appreciate your insight here.

Fenthis Glusos
12-12-2008, 02:28 PM
interesting, i dont like olives :) but can u really cook or fry with water? that would be awesome so i can use my fat to other tasty stuff like nuts etc :D

Even if you ate the olives you wouldn't be getting much of any fat from them - in this sense, olive oil is much like other vegetable oils. But yeah you can cook with water, I do so all the time for the same reason -- to eat tasty stuff like nuts or cheese. Although I put some minced garlic on the pan as well... the kind you can buy from stores as it has a runny texture to it anyway. Otherwise I just use some butter.

Why waste fat calories on an unnatural and expensive, bad-tasting oil?

Chris Salvato
12-12-2008, 03:01 PM
unnatural? How so? Its just a group of olives pressed together to extract the oil.

bad-tasting? I guess thats kind of subjective...I love the taste of EVOO...

expensive? you got me there :P the stuff is downright pricey.

Patrick Yeung
12-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I though this was about raw food... But in any case, why do you need oil to cook? I've got a stovetop griddle/BBQ thing so no oil needed. But most meat have enough oil to cook without added oil, or an I just using fatty cuts?

I'll use butter for my omlettes, but I'm with that other guy about vegetable oils, i just stay away from em.

And, if you were wondering, I'd attribute all the muscle loss/higher bf to running than on the fruit. When I found CF and powerlifting while switching over to agility, I started to put on muscle and lose fat right away ok the same diet.

John Alston
12-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Stopping cooking is like trying to go backwards evoltionarily.
Why don't you just start walking on all fours, too?
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=cooking-up-bigger-brains
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/08/990810064914.htm

Chris Salvato
12-13-2008, 09:04 AM
er...while i get your point, QM (quadrupedal movement - walking on all fours) is actually really beneficial :P

Fenthis Glusos
12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Stopping cooking is like trying to go backwards evoltionarily.
Why don't you just start walking on all fours, too?
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=cooking-up-bigger-brains
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/08/990810064914.htm

Right on. You should preach this to those who down a gallon of green juice a day...they're putting in an abnormal amount of greens into their system at a time for probably zero health benefits - so, what's the point? ha ha

Trygve Lunde
12-13-2008, 03:03 PM
that was lovely to hear, i really love cooked food, but fresh fruit is the best i guess? or should you cook fruit aswell?

Derek Weaver
12-13-2008, 10:39 PM
that was lovely to hear, i really love cooked food, but fresh fruit is the best i guess? or should you cook fruit aswell?

You're not serious are you?

Cook your flesh foods. Eat the others (fruits and vegetables) raw. Enjoy your food and your life.

Patrick Yeung
12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
You're not serious are you?

Cook your flesh foods. Eat the others (fruits and vegetables) raw. Enjoy your food and your life.

Seriously.

I mean, I am following a modified/loose IF diet of high protein and fat, and trying to keep carbs to a minimum. But, if someone is grillin burgers, I just make sure ive got more steak than bread.

Enjoy your food, is it really worth turning it into such a scientific, super strict diet? There are a lot more important things to worry about.

Mike ODonnell
12-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Enjoy your food, is it really worth turning it into such a scientific, super strict diet? There are a lot more important things to worry about.

I always say....never trust anyone who doesn't have a beer. Live life...be healthy...and just enjoy what you do. Many people are so worried about not dying or being sick nowadays they forget to actually live in the first place.