PDA

View Full Version : Need some Advice

Kerstin Meier
12-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi, my name is Kerstin im 34 years old and mother of a 10 years old daughter.
shes in gymnastics now for 1 year and a half year ago the class becomes a new coach.
the first thing he did, he said the whole class is too soft.
in the last six month the whole class does conditining 5 days a week 1 day in week they have to do rings.
they do so much strength things that my girl becomes visible muscles and 4 packed stomach muscles some other girls got sixpack stomachs, i saw it wih my own eyes.
my daughter likes it that she has become muscular, but im not sure if girls at this age should be have visible muscles.
can anyone help me or heard something like that before?
i hope anyone can help me pls.

Steven Low
12-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Sounds like their strength and conditioning is pretty good.

There's nothing wrong with visible muscles. If it helps her perform gymnastics better I would say that's great. If it's unnecessary bulk that's getting in the way of performance then that might not be so good.

I personally have always said that it would be good to put the women's team on the strength and conditioning program that the men's team does. This would be good mainly because a high degree of strength translates over to learning technical skills much easier. Ask her if her increased strength/muscle is helping her learn skills easier. If so, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it unless she doesn't want to do high level gymnastics..

Blair Lowe
12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
reminds me of this thread:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/question-answer/8788-daughters-training.html

being strong leads to progress in gymnastics while not means typically stagnating or having to work other strengths while progressing.

just make sure her sleep, hydration, and nutritional needs are dialed in and she should be alright so long as you don't start seeing patterns of overtraining develop.