PDA

View Full Version : If for muscle gains

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-16-2008, 12:12 AM

Allen Yeh
12-16-2008, 03:20 AM
I would personally worry about trying to gain weight without IF first.

What type of training will you be doing?

Mike ODonnell
12-16-2008, 07:50 AM
read this article
http://www.theiflife.com/2008/06/27/intermittent-fasting-guest-post-sure-fire-fat-loss/

add in more protein on off days. Use the pwo window to eat like you are raiding a small village.

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I would personally worry about trying to gain weight without IF first.

What type of training will you be doing?

what would you suggest instead of IF ?

i tried to GOMAD again recently. I gain 5-6 pounds. most is fat, im thinking im reacting to it a bit.

Mike ODonnell
12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
i tried to GOMAD again recently. I gain 5-6 pounds. most is fat, im thinking im reacting to it a bit.

You are probably not too carb friendly....hence I would time them only for pwo and get enough meat and fat otherwise. IF works...ONLY if you can still eat enough to make it so. (or you can do IF on non-workout days and feast up on workout days). Martin (in the article I linked to) has had good results for people putting on lean muscle using his system....but it does require eating.

Steven Low
12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
ok so i fast. then i eat a big preworkout meal, a huge postworkout meal 1 medium meal on workout days.

on non workout days i lower carbs, up fat. eat moderate.

Should i shoot for a certain amount of calories or in the end it just doesnt matter?
Play around the the pre-workout meal (or lack of it). Eating before a workout typically blunts the anabolic response of your body to working out (less GH and such). For a minority it may work and you may be one of them.. but for most of us eating before working out tends not to work out so well.

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Derek Weaver
12-16-2008, 02:28 PM
I have to be honest. I'd completely blow off the idea of regular fasting while trying to mass gain.

If you must fast, do it a couple times a week, tops. Otherwise eat indiscriminantly. You're going to get a little chubby, it's pretty much what happens. Just wear more sweaters, it's cold out (edit here: ) nobody will notice the gut.

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-17-2008, 08:17 AM

Mike ODonnell
12-17-2008, 09:09 AM
so you suggest i eat as much as i can clean food (meat, fruits, vegs, potatoes post workout, eggs,etc) then worry later about any fat intake?

or you would have some plan or anything

The info you need has already been said....now just time to go do it for several weeks and see what happens....then you will know how to adjust. Planning for the perfect program will lead to no gains....as internet forums are full of people who want the perfect plan, but never go do anything. Take action, see what happens....adjust as needed.

Jean-Patrick Millette
12-17-2008, 10:28 AM

Kevin Perry
12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
thanks.

thats what im gonna do.

Im going to eat as much as i can and try to keep a log or something so i can review what works and what doesnt.

There ya go.. find that sweet spot and keep it simple.