PDA

View Full Version : Questions about self-myofascial release

Emily Mattes
12-25-2008, 04:10 PM
I read that eventually, if you do SMR enough it will stop hurting. When does this happen? Does it happen if you're using PVC pipe instead of a foam roller?

Also, can you do it too much? Since I got my 4'' PVC pipe a week ago I've been doing it after every workout along with home sessions, for at total of at least two or three times a day. In addition I also roll a tennis ball and smaller PVC pipe over my quads while sitting around as they seem to give me the most trouble. Is this OK?

Ben Fury
12-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I read that eventually, if you do SMR enough it will stop hurting. When does this happen? Does it happen if you're using PVC pipe instead of a foam roller?

Also, can you do it too much? Since I got my 4'' PVC pipe a week ago I've been doing it after every workout along with home sessions, for at total of at least two or three times a day. In addition I also roll a tennis ball and smaller PVC pipe over my quads while sitting around as they seem to give me the most trouble. Is this OK?

No, it's NOT OK, and yes, ANY is too much. Throw that junk away and read my answer to your other question:
http://www.cathletics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46227&postcount=13

Emily Mattes
12-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, I'd definitely like to try the stretching method you mentioned. I emailed you.

Regarding SMR, I should mention it hurts while I do it but afterwards I feel pretty good--when I was asking about the hurting it was because I read when you do it enough it won't hurt while you're doing it. It seems to help with the stiffness a bit. I'll agree that a lot of the "miracle cure" stuff that seems to be attached to it smells hokey, but at the worst it still gives me a rather nice massage and warm-down.

Garrett Smith
12-26-2008, 06:07 AM
PVC is pretty tough on the body, that's why they tend to refer to it as "foam rolling", not "hard PVC pipe rolling".

FWIW, Dr. Cobb of Z-Health is not a fan of foam rolling either. I'd personally rather get some Thai massage...

Steven Low
12-26-2008, 10:46 AM
It will go away. Just means quads are one of the problem spots.. like they are for most of us since there a large muscle group. Will take longer cause its PVC instead of foam like Garrett said.

Grissim Connery
12-27-2008, 02:57 PM
just like any body adaptation, a splurge all at once isn't gonna make it go faster. just relax and let your body sink into its own pace.

Alan O'Donnell
12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry, noob question, but what exactly does foam rolling do, and assuming it does it, what's the controversy?

I've done a little SMR since starting crossfit and have gotten a few clinical deep-tissue massages, but I can't say that I've noticed any improvement.

Greg Battaglia
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm surprised to see a few knocks to SMR. I has been a godsend for me personally. Combined with TGU's and shoulder dislocates a consistent pre-workout tennis ball session on my shoulders has brought me from being in severe pain when overhead lifting to only slight occasional pain. I'm a believer in SMR, it works well for me and it's cheap.

Derek Weaver
01-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I think SMR is great. I've never read anything against it that's made much sense to me.

I never really got the pvc thing, but foam rolling has been fantastic.

George Mounce
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
No, it's NOT OK, and yes, ANY is too much. Throw that junk away and read my answer to your other question:
http://www.cathletics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46227&postcount=13

Would you mind sending me the 11 stretches?

Allen Yeh
01-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry, noob question, but what exactly does foam rolling do, and assuming it does it, what's the controversy?

I've done a little SMR since starting crossfit and have gotten a few clinical deep-tissue massages, but I can't say that I've noticed any improvement.

I've read a few items in regards to why people shouldn't SMR and typically it does seem to be people that have gone through the Z-Health system. I guess I just don't understand the objection as the few things I've read didn't seem to make sense to me.

I have found SMR to be helpful but I don't personally recommend PVC, IMO you would be better off with a high density foam roller. I do recommend using a tennis/lacrosse ball on places like calves, glutes, infraspinatus, arches of feet.

Larry Herbert
02-06-2009, 07:15 AM

It seems 95% of the results on a google search of SMR and foam rolling returns "It's the greatest...." and how-to instructions and videos. Other than Ben Fury's anti-foam rolling post/article I found this informative piece written by John Izzo available on his site or here where I found it.
http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/fbbuploads/1204028977-Foam_Rollling_How_Hard.pdf

Emily Mattes
02-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I guess I should update, I'm pretty well accustomed to the PVC now and it has become a daily part of my post-workout routine. I'm in the middle of a squat cycle and there are definitely differences in my workouts the next day when I don't use it post-workout versus when I do.

George Mounce
02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
It seems 95% of the results on a google search of SMR and foam rolling returns "It's the greatest...." and how-to instructions and videos. Other than Ben Fury's anti-foam rolling post/article I found this informative piece written by John Izzo available on his site or here where I found it.
http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/fbbuploads/1204028977-Foam_Rollling_How_Hard.pdf

Great article Larry, thank for sharing!