PDA

View Full Version : Skinfold calipers

Patrick Yeung
01-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Did a couple searches with different word combinations. Thought for sure it would have been covered, but cant find anything.

Any thoughts on which one to get? Id like one that takes a measure from multiple places, like the ab, upper chest, back, leg, etc

Oh, and it cant be too expensive, im poor.

I looked for some on amazon, but they say the are accurate within 2% and the reviews are questionable.

2% may be cool if youre ingredients or something, but that seems big for BF%

Patrick Yeung
01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
No one uses these things?

Anyone know of other ways to measure body fat? Or what are you guys all using.

Garrett Smith
01-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Here's the inexpensive digital version, complete with measuring tape:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/acc/fattrack.html
$30 can't be beat for getting you two methods of assessing BF%.

I have this set. I liked it when I used it--I simply don't track my BF% anymore.

George Mounce
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Did a couple searches with different word combinations. Thought for sure it would have been covered, but cant find anything.

Any thoughts on which one to get? Id like one that takes a measure from multiple places, like the ab, upper chest, back, leg, etc

Oh, and it cant be too expensive, im poor.

I looked for some on amazon, but they say the are accurate within 2% and the reviews are questionable.

2% may be cool if youre ingredients or something, but that seems big for BF%

2% isn't that bad actually for bodyfat measuring. By the way, stop caring so much.

Mike ODonnell
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Get a cheap measuring tape from the local arts and craft store and measure your body composition on different parts (legs, chest, arms, stomach) that way if you want to guage progress or inches lost.....BF% is so overrated in my book as you can look in the mirror and know if you have fat to lose. I stop using it with clients as I told them to just stop worrying about numbers that they don't know anything about and just focus on how good their jeans were fitting them.

Patrick Yeung
01-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Well, its more for my family. I was never really concerend with it, I was more ineterested in being healthy. But, ive recently finallllly gotten my mom to go back to the gym after 4 years, and both my younger brothers who have never been.

My mom wanted to make a contest out of it between the three of em, so she asked which one to get. Plus, I think itd be interesting.

Thanks Garret, that looks a lot easier to use. Ill probably go that route.

Garrett Smith
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
For your competition, I think the measuring tape will be best to get accurate results.

Skinfold calipers, no matter how much you spend, are completely subject to user error. Well, everything is, it's just skinfolds are difficult to repeat even for well-trained people.

The tape measure is pre-tensioned, just use it at the same place each time (like the belly button). Very easy.