PDA

View Full Version : Few fasting and food questions :)

Trygve Lunde
01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Will coffee 30 min before my workout increase the fat burning process ? and also a cup of coffee as a pwo drink? this is of course during fasting.
Is water with some squeezed lemon good do drink when fasting or should i go for pure water? ive also heared that natron/baking powder can also be good? but this will break the fast?
During the eating, should i eat the fruit at the end of every meal? or does that matter?

Thanx :)

i got rid of my rash btw. :D it was all the dairy and wheat shit. whole food 4 ever, and welcome 09 THIS IS MY YEAR i can feel it. happy new year everybody :D

Derek Weaver
01-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Caffeine can have a lypolytic effect. Not sure if your coffee would be enough to make much of a difference.

Water with a squeeze of lemon is a great thing to drink while fasting.

Don't know about baking powder.

Eat the fruit where you feel best.

Stop over thinking, work hard and enjoy the ride.

Patrick Yeung
01-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I havent been at this for very long, nor am I an expert, but heres what ive known/experienced.

From what I understand, the whole thing about IFing is no spikes in blood sugar during the day. Coffee, with pretty much no calories, if any, should be fine if this is the case. For the same reasons, I believe that any increase from lemon would be negligabile.

I always have coffee in the morning (pre workout) and again after with maybe about a tbsp or so of heavy cream between the two. I also add about 5 grams BCAA's to each. I have seen better results with this than not.

BCAA's are Branched chain amino acids, and have been shown to increase muscle regeneration and building, even when taken alone. However, unlike say a protein shake, it has no calories I blieve, or at least not on any of the packaging, and would allow for working out in a fasted state, but be able to ingest protein at the same time.

Congrats on the rash clearing up. I can understand the wheat, a lot of people are gluten intolerant and dont known it. Though, I dont see anything wrong with dairy. Isnt that considered whole food too?

Derek Weaver
01-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I havent been at this for very long, nor am I an expert, but heres what ive known/experienced.

From what I understand, the whole thing about IFing is no spikes in blood sugar during the day. Coffee, with pretty much no calories, if any, should be fine if this is the case. For the same reasons, I believe that any increase from lemon would be negligabile.

I always have coffee in the morning (pre workout) and again after with maybe about a tbsp or so of heavy cream between the two. I also add about 5 grams BCAA's to each. I have seen better results with this than not.

BCAA's are Branched chain amino acids, and have been shown to increase muscle regeneration and building, even when taken alone. However, unlike say a protein shake, it has no calories I blieve, or at least not on any of the packaging, and would allow for working out in a fasted state, but be able to ingest protein at the same time.

Congrats on the rash clearing up. I can understand the wheat, a lot of people are gluten intolerant and dont known it. Though, I dont see anything wrong with dairy. Isnt that considered whole food too?

Correct, black coffee is fine.

BCAA's do have a slight caloric value. Martin Berkhan has a good take on BCAA's... as does Lyle McDonald.

Trygve Lunde
01-04-2009, 01:14 AM

not the shitty pasturized etc. stuff but raw is fine i guess, but that is not around here.

anyway thanx again for respons :)

Trygve Lunde
01-04-2009, 01:24 AM
also, how healthy is coffee? is it something that i should be drinking? im talking about plain coffee no sugar etc. added. Or is it best to quit it?

Derek Weaver
01-04-2009, 01:13 PM
It's fine. Stop over thinking everything. Eat "clean". You'll do great so long as you don't continue to get caught up in paralysis by analysis.

George Mounce
01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
also, how healthy is coffee? is it something that i should be drinking? im talking about plain coffee no sugar etc. added. Or is it best to quit it?

Its the number one source of antioxidants in the American diet. I love the stuff.

Donald Lee
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=41017

Kisholi Mendis
01-05-2009, 06:45 AM
With regards to the fruit, I personally find it necessary to eat it AFTER a meal. On the odd occasion I have absent-mindedly munched on an apple, I have got severe hunger pangs 15-20 minutes later. I guess it's the insulin spike and always try to eat this stuff after a good protein/fat meal, during my eating window. Of course ymmv and all that.

Trygve Lunde
01-05-2009, 08:24 AM
thank you. also one thing im wondering about. Does Glycemic load matter when it comes to whole food? like grapes, melon etc. ? i see art de vany recommend those two fruits and they are the highest in GLoad

Derek Weaver
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, it all matters. And at the same time none of it matters.

This is all getting into very small stuff. Fruit and starch around workouts. A more targeted approach is becoming popular and keeps things simple.

Trygve Lunde
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
hehe ok :D

Patrick Yeung
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah, try it out loosely, and refine as needed.

Dont sweat the small stuff so soon. Besides, what works for some dosent work for all, so you may get better results with something different.

Derek Weaver
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
As I believe the illustrious Jay Cohen has said on these boards "Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff" or something like that.

Jay Cohen
01-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Derek;

Good memory.

Here is the book, good little read.

http://www.amazon.com/Sweat-Small-Stuff-small-stuff/dp/0786881852

Trygve Lunde
01-07-2009, 05:45 AM
its just that i want to make it work so i can reach my goals, thats why im asking so much. but i will read a bit more on the sites again and figure it out :)

Trygve Lunde
01-07-2009, 07:17 AM
also i have one question, its been much debating about the 1 meal approach against 2 or three. Im on a diet my calorie inntake is 1500. So would it be best if i ate one big meal or two? i find it alot easier to eat one big meal so i can get a litle stuffed :) but the only reason to do two meals is to get enough protein, but after much reading people really seem to lower their protein inntake to even 0.6g/lbs even if they are very active and lean. I also eat very slow so the meal will take some time.

I also have a question regarding fat. Can your body make fat into glycogen for the muscles? and when will that process start? because i guess it will be more beneficial to get much glycogen from the fat rather than from carbs since with fat insulin is stable. As for the calories many people will say its to low but its not :) im a bit extreme but my goals are a bit extreme.

Derek Weaver
01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Jay,
Good to see you pop up in this thread. I'll check out that read soon.

Trygve,
Again, the answers are out there, and I'm willing to be you already know the answers... I'll take a shot anyway though.

Why not split your meals into 3 or 4? How long is your feeding window? 1500 calories at a time is in no way enjoyable if you ask me.

If your caloric deficit is enough, then don't sweat your carbs. Fat's fine, it'll stabilize blood glucose, and help you feel full... balance hormones and other good stuff. A targeted approach (as I've already mentioned) of 50-100 carbs around training is showing to be quite effective.

BUT, remember that protein and carbs BOTH raise insulin levels. Eat less crap, more good stuff and smaller quantities and you'll reach your goals.

Trygve Lunde
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
ok thanx man :)

My feeding windows is around 4-8 hours.