PDA

View Full Version : Allen's IF experiment and observations

Allen Yeh
01-09-2007, 05:12 AM
I wanted to put a thread up on what I'm doing for IF and how I'm feeling while doing IF.

After reading PM's #6 and 16 I decided to just start my IF experiment right away. I started the night of January 5th and decided upon 15 hour fasts for now. This is a large departure from what I used to do when I'd typically be eating 15 hours of the day, the whole 5-6 small meals a day thing. I actually wasn't sure I'd be able to do it as when I did the 5-6 small meals a day thing and would miss a meal I felt like gnawing my arm off!

height- 69"
BW - 194 lbs
BF - ~15%

Rules for right now:
-I eat between 9-10 am thru 6-7 pm I will eat dinner with my family and dinner time needs to be flexible.
-I have green tea and water throughout the day.
-Coffee- 2x a day on training days, otherwise 1x a day, 2 tbsp of heavy cream (Just started since I saw a few people here did it and the Lights Out book recommended it, so the reason why?) and some splenda (I know I know...but 1 thing at a time)
-180-200 grams of protein per day
-80-100 grams of fat per day
-150-200 grams of carbs per day - dependent upon if it's a training day or not - During the day it's mostly broccoli/spinach and typically 60g's total with Pre/Post WO drink and then a higher carb intake at dinner time with family.
-8.5-9.5 hours of sleep - Hard to keep with a 18 month old, but I'm trying.
-Fish oil - with first and last meals of the day, it's 30% EPA/DHA so I aim for 10 caps per meal.

Observations:
As of the dawning of day 4 I've definitely noticed a few things:
-The last 2 days I haven't gotten my mid afternoon slump typically around 3-4pm I feel drowsy but since starting IF I haven't noticed.
-The few hours before I eat in the morning I'm really really hungry 7-9am is bad.
-I feel more alert.
-I guess this has to do with being more alert but at work I feel more focused, typically at work I'll be all over the place.
-Caffeine sensitivity has gone up in just this short amount of time.

Questions:
-Is it ok to have green tea / coffee before my first meal or should I aim to only drink these during my "eating" hours?
-I was thinking of adding more fat?
-Does everyone else follow the Zone block system?

Any comments are welcome.

Steve Shafley
01-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Looks pretty good.

What I like best about IF is that you're not wedded to macronutrient ratios. On top of that, during the eating part, I am attempting to target my carbs before and after training, and go pretty much low carb or meat+veggies outside those two times.

I'm just picking it back up again after about a 3 month hiatus.

It is all about the calories though. If you've got fat to lose, this is less an issue, if you are already lean, I imagine this becomes much more important.

Scott Kustes
01-09-2007, 07:02 AM
I drink green and white teas during my fast. I have experienced no ill effects. I also typically workout on empty. Add more fat. I eat a ton of fat and protein, pretty low carb during the winter. It's a great way to keep yourself feeling satisfied for hours between meals. I don't follow the Zone...I'm a Paleo guy and the macros work themselves out. Once I cleaned out all the crap, my body pretty much lets me know what to eat.

kevin mckay
01-09-2007, 07:37 AM
I gotta say that I was pretty skeptical about the whole if thing, but now I consider it my best dietary asset. I have been eating between noon and 6 since about mid October and nothing has given me the consistent energy, mental focus, and hunger suppression that IF does.

Robb Wolf
01-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Allen-
Looks good. Steve and Scott covered everything I thought to mention. I don't tolerate coffee during the fast...I need to save that for after i eat. you'll just have to tinker and see how that goes. The extreme hunger of the AM should decrease with time.

Keep us posted!

Mike ODonnell
01-09-2007, 08:39 AM
What have people like Allen and Kevin experienced with body composition changes (if any)? Are you still able to get in enough calories to maintain muscle while keeping performance levels high?

Allen Yeh
01-09-2007, 08:50 AM
What have people like Allen and Kevin experienced with body composition changes (if any)? Are you still able to get in enough calories to maintain muscle while keeping performance levels high?

Don't know yet, only on day 4, and day 1 and 2 no workouts, day 3 was a squat day and it felt good, but then again I've had 2 weeks off so I'll update on this after a few more weeks.

I will also post body comp changes...if any.

Scott Kustes
01-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Mike,
In the last year, I've dropped from 185@12% to about 185@9%. I could probably push it a touch lower, but I enjoy a few beers on the weekend and don't really worry about quantity when I'm eating...I eat till full, then stop. My performance levels, while not stratospheric from CF perspectives, are consistently in the 50-75th percentile, depending on the workout. I've added weight to my deadlift, clean and jerk, and squat in that time too, which would seem sensible since I have gained muscle.

kevin mckay
01-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Steve,

"What I like best about IF is that you're not wedded to macronutrient ratios"

I am not sure what you mean?

Allen Yeh
01-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Steve,

"What I like best about IF is that you're not wedded to macronutrient ratios"

I am not sure what you mean?

I thought on IF you were supposed to get the same amount of food/zone blocks/macronutrients just in a much shorter time frame?

Robb Wolf
01-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I thought on IF you were supposed to get the same amount of food/zone blocks/macronutrients just in a much shorter time frame?

Allen-

That is a very precise way to tackle the whole thing. Find your Zone sweet spot and then compress the window of time you eat that food in. Many people loosen the precision on the macro-nutrients and find they do just fine with that. Most find they need to ratchet up the fat a bit.

Steve Liberati
01-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Here's my experiences with IF so far:

About 3 months ago I started implementing a 2 day-a-week fast protocol. Typically on sunday (good day to do nothing...that includes eating!) and one day during the week. Must admit at first it was extremely difficult to ignore the afternoon hunger pains. I stayed with it, and eventually my appetite subdued towards the end of the fast. Fast started around 9pm at night and lasted until 5pm the following day (20 hrs). Like others, in time I noticied increased energy levels, alertness, appetite control, and less water retention (love handles became less noticible). On top of the body comp improvements, the biggest benefit of fasting on those two days was not having to worry or think about food. It was a nice relief freeing my mind for a day not thinking about my next meal.

I liked the 2 day a wk fast so much, I then decided to up the ante and fast every other day (Art D style!). Been doing this for about a month now and the results have have been nothing less than stellar.

Besides the huge added convenience of not having to pack food for the day, I'm sleeping better than before ever before, better vascularity, increased energy (wife likes that one!), and just a better overall sense of well-being. Started off around 195lbs@8% bf. I'm now down to around 188lbs@around 6-7% bodyfat. Strength levels are on a slow incline and performance on WOD's have improved as well.

Can't say enough about IF. Life's much better now.

Allen Yeh
01-16-2007, 03:56 AM
As of yesterday I was having no problems with IF but then weirdness?

Yesterdays schedule:
8 am - coffee with heavy cream
10 am - first meal since 6 pm the night before - chicken breast, spinach, and 22 almonds.
11 am - 1 pm - 2 more cups of coffee w/ heavy cream
1:30 pm - pre workout shake - 20 grams protein, 30 grams carbs

2 pm gym

I would say between 1 - 2 I felt odder and odder, on my short drive over to the gym I started to feel really dizzy, like being intoxicated dizzy, as I parked my car and sat there trying to let the dizziness pass I started to get really nauseous too. When I say dizzy I mean like world spinning dizzy, closing my eyes made the sensation all the worse. When I would stand up it was as if the world was swaying back and forth. I eventually got into the gym but the nausea never really went away so I warmed up and did a little bit but I called it quits shortly after that.

I was thinking it was having too much coffee while on IF? Or possibly the insulin spike from the pre workout shake and not having much in my stomach before that? Anyone have any ideas?

Craig Cooper
01-16-2007, 06:18 AM
I've had similar experiences, always with coffee. My caffeine sensitivity is much greater when I IF, and it's really easy to get too much of it, resulting in intense shakiness, irritability, and sometimes even paranoia.

Joyce Behrendt
01-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Nausea and dizzyness are fairly typical of ketosis. I have to limit coffee too or else I really get a buzz. I have green tea or some decaf in the afternoon.

You might want to add a little potassium by using some salt substitute.

I don't get much nausea anymore. I guess our body adapts. I did a 21-hr fast yesterday and felt great. I am going to fast more frequently, probably M-W-F for a while. I'm not even going to mention my body fat %!

Allen Yeh
01-18-2007, 07:48 AM
I was going to wait another week or 2 to post some "results" but I'll throw in too since I saw Steve posted something up.

I'm down 2 lbs since last week and I wished I had measured myself the day I started. My wife keeps telling me I look "skinnier" though I don't really notice much of a difference when I look in the mirror.

Perfomance wise I feel pretty good right now. Except for the weirdness I felt on Monday (1/15) I've had no other weirdness. I'm limiting my coffee to 2 cups maximum per day and hopefully I won't go through that again.

Hunger pangs have almost entirely gone away as long as I get what I need that day, last night I was a bit hungry but I had forgotten to take in 2 meals and by the time I was hungry it was past my "eating time."

Steve Liberati
01-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Allen - You're progress looks good man! Continue to update this thread every so often if you don't mind. The more people experimenting with IF the more we can learn about it.

Also just a side, don't expect fast body comp changes (except a few lbs of water weight). Most of the changes I've experienced with IF so far has been increased performance and more stable energy levels.

Besides the pre-workout shake how many protein shakes a day do you normally drink?

Allen Yeh
01-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Steve,

On days I workout I typically take 40 grams of whey + grape juice or gatorade. Pre and post workout I'll just drink half before and half right after.

On most days I usually take a shake shortly after dinner to get all my fats and protein in for the day. Its something close to what they recommended in the meal replacement shake thread.

1 can of coconut milk from trader joes = 25 grams fat
2 scoops whey = ~45 grams protein
1 tbsp of greens powder
2 tbsp of milled flaxseeds
1-2 tbsps of cocoa powder (I saw Robb put it in his but I'm not actually sure what this is for.)

Scott Kustes
01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Cocoa powder is an antioxidant and adds flavor. I've also found that unsweetened applesauce and almond butter go very well with the shake. A couple raw eggs never hurt anyone either.

Mike ODonnell
01-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I started saving all my calories for the 3 hr PWO window on M_W_F and then only 2-3 bigger meals on the other days....I do find with a light breakfast and expresso.....I am sharp and on target till like noon....and get a hell of alot more work done. I do protein shakes AM, Pre-WO, Post-WO and PM before bed...working on all the timing.

Funny I really dont track calories as it is a pain in the ass.....but since doing the above schedule the last 2 months and hitting the weights again...I've gained about another 10lbs lean muscle...back up to 195lbs after hitting a record low this summer of 172 from too much metabolic (CF and running/biking)work and not eating enough. I feel so much better and have more energy....oh yeah...Sat night all rules are off as I've been know to eat a whole pizza, couple beers....ok maybe more than a couple and then a dozen wings....god bless a strong metabolism!

Steve Liberati
01-19-2007, 04:39 AM
Mike, that is exactly what I do with exception to the protein shakes. I drop them months ago in replace of probiotics, digestive enzymes, and more real food at Trader Shmos. My body (and wife) can't thank me enough. The afterburning stench of protein shakes has disappeared. Protein shakes were good for gas, that's about it.

Chris Forbis
01-19-2007, 03:42 PM
My grape juice + egg protein pwo shake has the same effect, albeit about 7-8 hours after consumption.

Mike ODonnell
01-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Just curious...why grape juice and egg vs a whey? I'm assuming the grape is to spike the insulin to increase transport but egg is slower digesting than Whey alone...so wouldn't Whey be a better choice?

Chris Forbis
01-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I am basically trying to get rid of what egg protein powder I have left, then I plan on dropping it entirely. It was purchased when I was feeling particularly gung-ho about paleo (egg protein powder being more paleo than whey).

Allen Yeh
01-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Update as of 1/25/2007:

I'm 19 days in at this point and other than the weirdness I felt last week it's been pretty smooth sailing since then.

Bodyweight/body composition - I'm done to 192 on the gym scale and 189 on the home scale so that's another 1-2 lb loss since last week. My wife keeps commenting that it seems like my bodyfat is going away very fast. At this point I'm only down a total of 3-4 lbs since I started on 1/6.

Performance - I haven't noticed a decrease in performance yet my lifting numbers are still going up and my met/con status is pretty much where it was before, if not slightly improved.

Misc. - My hunger pangs have almost completely gone away in the AM and PM. This past weekend I had a wings/pizza night with the family and I noticed I was able to "bounce" back from it a lot faster than before when I ate more frequently. Meaning, that after I ate all that stuff I didn't feel like crap all the next day as I have in the past.

Maybe just maybe there is something to this IF thing hm?

Robb Wolf
01-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Good stuff Allen.

I had kicked this idea around for several years but was pretty hesitant to throw it out for general consumption. It really flies in the face of standard practice considering everyone else recommends 6-7 small meals throughout the day. Keep us posted!

Damien Thompson
01-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Oh yeah, ... IF'd my birthday today, ... well sort of any way, just ate a shit load and now feel too full to do anything but sleep.

Just finished an obscene amount of prawns!

Robb Wolf
01-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Damien-
Happy B-day fellow Aquarious! sounds like we should put together a fund for some digestive enzymes for you!

Allen Yeh
01-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Weekends - I forgot to add earlier that the past 2 weekends I haven't been as strict on my weekends, I still try to eat within a 9 hour window but I'm not trying to figure out how much I get per day. It's much easier to do that when I'm at work because I'm usually on the computer and I can log it in as soon as I eat.

Robb, any comment on the dizziness/nausea that I posted up on page 2?

Steve Liberati
01-29-2007, 12:08 PM
As of yesterday I was having no problems with IF but then weirdness?
I was thinking it was having too much coffee while on IF? Or possibly the insulin spike from the pre workout shake and not having much in my stomach before that? Anyone have any ideas?

Followed the same protocol as outlined and experienced a similar problem. For me, it was a dehydration issue. I neglected to hydrate myself in the first half of the day so to avoid bathroom stops while at work (on the road). As a result, payed for it dearly. Increased my water/tea/ACV consumption and problems quickly subsided.

Worth a shot.

Damien Thompson
01-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Damien-
Happy B-day fellow Aquarious! sounds like we should put together a fund for some digestive enzymes for you!

Thanks mate,

I read once that our star sign has the most geniuses but also the most in psychiatric institutions..lol

Scott Kustes
01-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Thanks mate,

I read once that our star sign has the most geniuses but also the most in psychiatric institutions..lol
And which are you? :D

Damien Thompson
01-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Robb Wolf
01-31-2007, 07:36 AM
I really prefer the borderline/narcissistic personality type. then I can disavow any knowledge of the damage and pain I've caused...much cleaner that way.

Dave Van Skike
01-31-2007, 10:28 AM
I really prefer the borderline/narcissistic personality type. then I can disavow any knowledge of the damage and pain I've caused...much cleaner that way.

Many outwardly (cars, money big shot job etc.) successful people have a borderline delusional narcissistic complexes. Not sure if you fit that profile or not. Haven't seen your car.

Just read a great article in the Harvard Business Journal on how to exploit the personality defects of narcissists in a corporate setting. Very illuminating.

Allen Yeh
02-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Update Week 5 of IF:

Body Comp: I'm down another pound this week and I actually can see some of the changes right now when I look in the mirror.

15 hours? This past weekend with Army drill and then this week so far being just insane my fasting time has goen from 15 hour fasts to 13-14, I'll get back on track today as I feel better when I do the entire 15 hours and having more consistency.

Consistency: While monitoring macros is kind of a pain in the butt sometimes I also find it a little necessary, since 2/2 I've been skipping meals because while I feel full by ~6pm I won't have gotten all the calories I'm looking to get in a day. So I'll be short anywhere from 600-1000 calories per day sometimes. Today I'll get back to my food log thing because when I did it that way I at least knew I should get another X grams of protein...Y grams of fat to round out my day. I guess I just like it better when I'm more accountable and can actually look at it on a excel spreadsheet.

Sleep: Sleep since Saturday has been a bit dicey and it has more to do with life than IF, I do feel my recovery slipping a little and once again tonight now that things have settled a little I'll get better with it.

Misc.: No weird side effects this week, I've been making sure that I'm staying hydrated as per Steve L.'s suggestion. As I think back to the weirdness day, that could may have well been a part of it?

Overall Energy: Still feeling good, Haven't had the "need an afternoon nap feeling" after I leave work in a while. I definitely dig that! Driving home and being drowsy is not fun!

Performance: I've had no dips in the road so far but a month of training is hardly a good stick to measure by, perhaps in another month I'll see what impact IF really has but my numbers in everything have been getting better and not worse. Rowing has improved but I attribute that to better form (still not great but tons better than before). Strength numbers are going up, I'm happy with my deadlift and squat progressing the way the are along with my weighted chins/pullups. I could probably increase my bench a little more but I hate asking for spots at the gym especially since most of these guys still high five each other everytime they hit a good set of smith machine partial squats.

Allen Yeh
02-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Wow who knew I hadn't updated in this long sheesh.

Week 8 update:
Body Comp: I'm not sure of what weight I'm at I haven't actually made it over to the gym I regularly weigh myself at this week. However I am visibly leaner now from when I first began those 8 weeks ago.

Duration of fast: I've been holding strong at 15 hours and this week I've extended my fasts on Monday and Today to 18 hour fasts. I feel about the same as the 15 hour so far.

Sleep: I've been getting a lot more sleep recently than in week 5 and 6 so that's helping for sure.

Misc.: Nothing to report here ok well since someone else brought up the bowel movement thing, I haven't been going as regularly as when I was eating 6 times a day but still "flowing" well.

Overall energy: Great, never felt better to be honest, I find that I don't get that afternoon slump as much anymore (as long as I get good sleep). I also don't rebound from cheat meals a LOT faster now than when I was eating more often. Thinking about it I would think it should be the opposite? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Performance: All of my lift #'s have gone up since I have now completed Strength II in NRoL. So this hasn't impacted my strength gains at all. Met con performance I think is pretty good considering I only do it 2-3 times a week. This week on Monday morning and Wednesday morning I worked out at Crossfit Challenge with Jerry Hill at 6 am. I was actually wondering if I'd be able to hack it at all since my last meal is usually at 6-7 pm on the previous day,I haven't really been keeping up my met-con, and all of my workouts have been during my "eating time." I worked out Monday morning and while not a rockstar performance I managed and felt no ill effects. I even extended my fast after to see if I'd feel odd. Today so far so good also. Perhaps met-con on a empty stomach is the best way to go

*Note - At the 18 hour mark yesterday I felt like I was starving!

Allen Yeh
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Week 8 further update:

BW - 189

So that's only down 5 pounds but all my in the gym numbers have only gone up AND my daily caloric intake is around 3000 so I haven't even tried to cut down at all jsut taking in maintenance level calories.

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Allen-
Any further updates?

Mike ODonnell
04-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Allen-
Any further updates?

Allen last seen all the all you can eat Pizza Hut buffet crying and screaming..."I cant keep it up...this tastes sooooo good....".....30min later asleep due to insulin overload....

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Not a bad way to go out...boots on, pizza in hand...God that is beautiful!

Allen Yeh
04-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Allen-
Any further updates?

Sheesh I didn't even realize I hadn't updated this in a while, I'll post an update for up until the end of March. This past weekend I was up in NY for my wife's appointments so my eating schedule was all over the place on top of eating whatever my parents made.

Allen Yeh
04-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Update as of 3/28/07

Body composition: BW staying at 189 but I'd say from playing the "looking in the mirror bodyfat game" that I'm around 10%.

Performance - No huge impact thus far that I can detect.

Energy - This one this past month has been fluctuating more than previously but this is due to a lot of things other than IF like my sleep schedule has been very erractic as well as my workout schedule.

Fast duration: I can now hold out for longer stretches so that 18 hours isn't terrible but I prefer 15 because trying to squeeze all those calories in a smaller window is a much more concerted effort.

Calories: I've been staying around ~2800 and trying to keep my carbs down a little more, >150g/day on workout days, >100g/day on non workout days.

Dave Van Skike
04-05-2007, 11:45 AM
So that's and apparent BF loss of 5% in a 3 months? With limited fuss and muss? Hmmmm. This sounds goodish.

Allen Yeh
04-06-2007, 04:33 AM
So that's and apparent BF loss of 5% in a 3 months? With limited fuss and muss? Hmmmm. This sounds goodish.

My total bodyweight since I started has dropped 6#'s and my approximate bodyfat is down about 5% and since my performance hasn't suffered if anything it's gone up I'd make it a safe bet that my real bodyfat loss was closer to 3-4% as I don't think I have lost much lean body mass.

The limited eating window now that I think about it is easier than the whole stuff yourself with 6 meals at 3 hour intervals during the day.

Robb Wolf
04-06-2007, 06:30 AM
My total bodyweight since I started has dropped 6#'s and my approximate bodyfat is down about 5% and since my performance hasn't suffered if anything it's gone up I'd make it a safe bet that my real bodyfat loss was closer to 3-4% as I don't think I have lost much lean body mass.

The limited eating window now that I think about it is easier than the whole stuff yourself with 6 meals at 3 hour intervals during the day.

I've not advocated intermittent fasting per-se with our clients but many were used to other trainers trying to get them to eat 5-6x/day. Kids, job, and other obligations makes this a daunting task...and perhaps not THAT healthy when looking at caloric restriction and the benefits of fasting.

You will not get someone REALLY big doing IF but you can get to a damn good level of performance an some good health beneis to boot.

Troy Archie
04-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I assume that starting a fast post w/o with no meal would be a major no no?

Robb Wolf
04-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I assume that starting a fast post w/o with no meal would be a major no no?

I think Devany advocates this from time to time. I think if fat loss is a primary goal it might be a great way to go occasionally.

Allen Yeh
05-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Update as of 5/16/07

Note: I hadn't realized it has been over a month and a half since I updated this thing!

Body composition: BW is down to 181 and my bodyfat is hovering around 8%?

Performance - No huge impact thus far that I can detect, but once again it's hard to quantify since I'm not doing performance testing.

Energy - This is a bit odd still, my sleep pattern has been weird because when I do try to get to bed early I'm unable to fall asleep (still trying to iron that out). This past week I've been getting hat afternoon slump but I am running more now than I have been since I started IF so possibly my body needs more recovery time?

Fast duration: I've been holding strong to 15 hour fasts most days.

Calories: I've been staying around ~2600 recently using fitday to track, I've strayed from the coconut milk shakes daily and now it's once every other day opr every 3 days.

From January I've gone from 196 to 181 without actually trying to lose weight. Meaning no crazy fat loss workouts, more performance oriented workouts. i.e. get my running times up and get in a lifting session a few times a week. BF has gone from 15% to ~8% while not impacting my performance in a negative way (that I have thus far detected).

Allen Yeh
05-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Observation on the effect of drinking on my body and on IF:

5/18 - BW 182
5/20 - Anniversary had "some" wine
5/21 - BW - 189
5/22 - BW - 184

Note: I hardly ever drink anymore due to my wife not being able to with all the different medications the Dr.'s have her on. My alcohol tolerance has dropped considerably, after 3 glasses I was feeling it!

Scott Clark
05-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Here's my experiences with IF so far:

About 3 months ago I started implementing a 2 day-a-week fast protocol. Typically on sunday (good day to do nothing...that includes eating!) and one day during the week. Must admit at first it was extremely difficult to ignore the afternoon hunger pains. I stayed with it, and eventually my appetite subdued towards the end of the fast. Fast started around 9pm at night and lasted until 5pm the following day (20 hrs). Like others, in time I noticied increased energy levels, alertness, appetite control, and less water retention (love handles became less noticible). On top of the body comp improvements, the biggest benefit of fasting on those two days was not having to worry or think about food. It was a nice relief freeing my mind for a day not thinking about my next meal.

I liked the 2 day a wk fast so much, I then decided to up the ante and fast every other day (Art D style!). Been doing this for about a month now and the results have have been nothing less than stellar.

Besides the huge added convenience of not having to pack food for the day, I'm sleeping better than before ever before, better vascularity, increased energy (wife likes that one!), and just a better overall sense of well-being. Started off around 195lbs@8% bf. I'm now down to around 188lbs@around 6-7% bodyfat. Strength levels are on a slow incline and performance on WOD's have improved as well.

Can't say enough about IF. Life's much better now.

When you started with just the Sunday fast, did you eat at "normal" intervals throughout the rest of the week? I'm looking to start IF in the near future and something like the Sunday fast makes sense for a starting point. I generally take Sundays off from training and anyway, so why the hell just not eat that day like you said :)

Allen Yeh
09-17-2008, 05:57 AM
I'm going to be updating this log soon as I have started to IF seriously again after a long layoff. This time around I started in the middle of July at BW of 192 (UGH!) ~15% and I'm currently down to 186 and ~12%? I'm noticeably leaner than I was when I started. Performance has increased since July.

Allen Yeh
08-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Didn't realize I even had this log still here, started IF again leangains.com style.

Start Date: Monday 8/22/2011.
BW = 187
Bodyfat = ~12%
Eating hours = Between 1200-2000
Goal = Lean gain mode until November 2011
Food quality = Neh....it's Army food in A-stan....not much I can do about that but volume of food isn't a problem.

Supplements currently taking:
6 capsules NOW foods Ultra Omega-3 - daily
Scivation Xtend BCAA's - before fasted workouts
vitamin D3 - daily
NOW foods digestive enzymes - daily
5g creatine - daily

Training:
No good idea where all my 1RM's are at the moment, currently following the I, Bodybuilder workout plan just for a change of pace. Did 2 weeks of the phase 1 and just finished 2 weeks of phase 2.
Lifting 5x week
Running 2x week - vary in intensity
Pullups, Lunge, Pushups - adding 1 every day currently on day 11

Arien Malec
08-26-2011, 07:15 AM
How are you doing LG with 5x/week lifting? When do you do the refeeds?

Allen Yeh
08-26-2011, 08:21 AM
How are you doing LG with 5x/week lifting? When do you do the refeeds?

So far so good, it's only been a week right now.

I've been trying to follow the guidelines laid out here as best possible:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

workout days - higher carb and moderate fats
non workout days - moderate carbs and higher fats

I try to workout by 1100 on most days and take my BCAA's ~1/2 hour preworkout. I'll take a postworkout protein shake right after my workouts and have a big lunch. Then I eat by feel until around 2000.

I know this won't be practical once I get home since I won't be working out at noon anymore but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

John Alston
08-26-2011, 08:32 AM
I like this schedule. I have done the noon workout for over a year now. I can get away with it at a gym nearby my office and recommend it to anyone who can swing it. Coffee, BCAA pre WO, then lunch it up.
I think I saw something about benefits of training earlier in day as opposed to later somewhere recently, as well.
One thing I noticed is that a really hard, awesome session that used to be done after work would leave me amped for so long I would have sleeping trouble sometimes, but training at noon leaves a lot of time to mellow down.

Arien Malec
08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Are you doing hypercaloric eating 5x/week or isocaloric 5x and hypocaloric 2x? That's the part that I'm trying to figure out. Is your goal recomp or fatloss or what?

I'm interested because I'm doing daily oly lifting now with an IF setup where my biggest meal is PWO and figuring out how to get fat loss or recomp on that schedule is eluding me.

Allen Yeh
08-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Only being on a week and not having IF'ed for a while before this I'm also figuring out my macro's. I'm looking at recomp right now for the next 2 months then fat loss.To be absolutely honest though it's pretty impossible for me to count macro's with this chow hall food.

Allen Yeh
10-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Date: October 14, 2011
BW = 191
Bodyfat = ~12%
Eating hours = Between 1200-2000
Goal = Lean gain mode until November 2011
Food quality = Neh....it's Army food in A-stan....not much I can do about that but volume of food isn't a problem.

Supplements currently taking:
8 capsules NOW foods Ultra Omega-3 - daily
Scivation Xtend BCAA's - before fasted workouts
vitamin D3 - daily
NOW foods digestive enzymes - daily
5g creatine - daily

Training:
Currently doing a Westside variation of 1 upper ME day, 1 DE lower day, 1 RE Upper day and 1 ME lower day, running intervals 3x/week and 1 metcon/week. Going to increase my walking in the next few weeks also.

Thoughts:
In the last 8 weeks I've gained on my lifts quite a bit and been able to stay around the same bodyfat while gaining 4 pounds. Wasn't trying to gain weight surprised I have, I'm going to add in more walking and try to monitor my food intake a little more during my fasts. Would like to be down to 10% by the time we fly home. Going to keep training volume the same probably drop a running day after my next PT test (1 week from today).

Metnally I feel better now, for the first few weeks I was a miserable SOB! Very easy to anger and very irritable. Now I feel like I'm back to "normal" as normal gets being here in A-stan. I will update as I start to taper the food a bit and increase my NEPA.

Derek Weaver
10-14-2011, 03:18 AM
Geez, I didn't even realize you were doing this.

That's cool that you have kept body comp more or less the same while gaining a touch. You're doing something right.

Keep safe and keep logging this.