PDA

View Full Version : 9 yr old vs. pit bull

Yael Grauer
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
This is incredible...

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/37069754.html?video=YHI&t=a

Allen Yeh
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
That's awesome, some of the comments about the kid are just ignorant on other articles I have seen about it.

Blair Lowe
01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
That boy is to be commended. Definitely should get an applause as that was balls to the walls.

Grissim Connery
01-09-2009, 01:12 AM
good stuff. i sometimes spar with my dogs some. i've never put one out. it's fun to see that the same stuff kinda works on them. the hard part is that their ribcages seem rounder, so they are about to roll off their backs more easily. thus side control sucks, but at least they give you their back hah.

i probably would have run away hah. pit bulls are no joke. funny that a 9 year old has more balls than me. thus i'm gonna take it upon myself to be an ass hole and point out that the kid had his palm incorrectly facing toward the dog's head. maybe that can boost my ego somehow...

Derek Simonds
01-09-2009, 01:20 PM
My instructor and I always joke about sparring with our dogs. I triangled my lab before. Not an easy task mind you.

I wish I had learned a RNC at 9 even with my hand turned the wrong way.... :D Even if I had known how I don't think I would have been able to attack the dog. Crazy.

Yael Grauer
01-09-2009, 06:42 PM
One of the middle school girls at my school saw her friend get bitten by a dog and literally pulled her out when the dog would not let go. Pretty courageous.

Darryl Shaw
01-10-2009, 04:47 AM
He's a brave kid, no question about that, and he did exactly the right thing pinning the dog and choking it because 99 times out of 100 a dog will submit when it's pinned by the neck because that's how fights between dogs are usually settled.

I used to work for an animal charity training and rehabilitating dogs and I'd think twice about getting into a fight with a pit bull because I know from experience that anything bigger than a border collie can do you serious damage. The worst fight I got into with a dog was with a rottweiller bitch that attacked me because she got a little freaked out when I entered what she considered her territory. She didn't have a collar on at the time and to be honest I'm not sure I could have pinned her so I had to kick her in the jaw as she charged me to stop the attack. The remarkable thing is that despite getting kicked square in the jaw with a heavy combat boot she wasn't injured but the shock and pain was enough to turn fight into flight which was lucky for me as she would have ripped me to pieces if she'd managed to get her teeth into me. I think the whole thing was over in less than a minute and once I'd calmed her down she turned out to be a very gentle, affectionate and good natured dog but because of that one attack she was deemed too high a risk to re-home and she became one of the kennels permanant residents.

George Mounce
01-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Isn't that how Gracie got his nickname, same kind of deal?

Chris Rice
01-10-2009, 07:01 AM
The boy did a great job but was also pretty lucky not to get himself chewed up - a full grown pitbull can do some serious damage! The little fellow should get some sort of award for his courage.

Blair Lowe
01-10-2009, 03:30 PM
A heavy gymbag full of books when swung does good damage to medium sized dogs as will combat boots or a fair sized stick or pipe.

A rock in a hand works but a small sledge works better ( I had to carry one around to hammer back on the crank arm on my POS bike for awhile and since I was biking through a somewhat rural area with free to run dogs, they would chase me alongside ).

I can't say I'd try to grapple a pit or anything bigger if by myself. However, he wasn't doing it to fight it, he was doing it to save that friend of his and that is beyond words commendable.

glennpendlay
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Thats pretty amazing. I have a pretty good sized pit, 101 lbs last time we were at the vet, and real solid and strong as a bull. Im a 300lb guy and stronger than average, and Ill tell you, i do wrestle with Mack sometimes, but just from that experience, id NEVER want to tangle with him if he were mad. NEVER.

Ill say this, I think if it were he and me in a cage and we were both in a killing rage, I think I could take him, but I know id take serious damage in doing so. A big pit is just so strong, fast, athletic, etc, I just dont see how you are not going to get ripped up a little if they are really after you... of course same goes for a German shephard, rott, etc. A big dog is a scary thing if they are really after you.

that kid is brave, but also lucky, IMO.

glenn

Scott Kustes
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Very cool, brave, and lucky. I used to wrestle with a 55lb Husky/Golden mix and that was a tough match. I would submit her the same way though....RNC and wrap my legs around her hind quarters/legs. But that was just when she was being playful. Never had to mess with her angry.

Gant Grimes
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I would fight different animals. If I was fighting a dog, I'd get the hell off the ground. Find some water or climb up on something and take away his advantage.

An old dog handler once told me that you need to offer your arm if you're fighting a pit. The pit will take the first thing given to it and stay with it. He'll tear the arm up, but you'll live. He said a Shepard will take your arm, get you down, and then work up to your neck.

glennpendlay
04-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Gant,

I just watched Caleb try to hold Mack down on the couch. Couldnt do it. Even with all of Calebs 275lbs on top of him and pressing down on him, and Mack being nice and not biting or anything, couldnt hold him down.

This confirms my opinion that I DO NOT want to tangle with any large dogs if I am empty handed, particularly a 100lb pit bull. I think you are right, find a tree, and climb it fast.

Glenn

Gant Grimes
04-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Gant,

I just watched Caleb try to hold Mack down on the couch. Couldnt do it. Even with all of Calebs 275lbs on top of him and pressing down on him, and Mack being nice and not biting or anything, couldnt hold him down.

That part is key. Fortunately Mack is as laid back an animal as I've seen. I wouldn't screw with him.

David Boyle
05-01-2009, 08:09 AM
What about shoving your arm down it's throat and grabbing and pulling out what you get a hold of....?

Or shoving your thumbs/any other finger into their eyes and stab/repeat?

I don't have any dogs, so I can't imagine how it would be to go toe to toe w/ one.

glennpendlay
05-02-2009, 08:03 AM
David,

Im sure that humans are capable of more than we think sometimes... I mean there are stories of people fighting off bears and big cats with knives or sticks... and both are clearly tougher than a german shephard or rottweiler or pit bulls.

However, the thought that you could poke the eye of, or hit the nose of, some dogs and hurt them and make them stop, im not so sure.

A couple of weeks ago, Maggie, my border collie/black lab mix, who is normally a nice dog but as she gets older gets more cranky, went after my pit bull big time. I was giving them both some doggy treats and she just got pissed and went for him. The "attack" lasted maybe 6-7 seconds, she went for his head and neck, and bit him repeatedly on the jaw, face, and neck. Afterward he was dripping blood from several puncture wounds on his face and neck. Dripped blood all over my kitchen floor.

Now, Mack was standing in front of me, wagging his tail, and looking at the dog treat in my hand when it started. And he stood there, fairly still, looked at me and wagged his tail the whole time. Didnt even flinch. Never took his eyes off me and never stopped wagging his tail. And after i smacked maggie and she kind of cowered down, he turned to her and licked her and tried to "make friends" again i guess.

So, I'm not sure, but im a bit skeptical that if he, or any dog like him, was really pissed, a little pain would deter him. I might be wrong, but if he can take something like that without even flinching when hes all calm and being nice, well when the adrenaline is up and hes really enraged, what would he ignore?

I dont know, but as i have said before, I dont want to fight no big dogs.

glenn

Chuck Kechter
05-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Last November I was walking my dog (a 12 year old greyhound) on a local bike trail, when a pit pulled out of a woman's hand and attacked my dog.

I saw that it was going to happen, but was a fraction of a second too late to get between them. The pit was FAST... It went for my dog's neck, and luckily before it could grab him, I got there. I grabbed the pit by the back of it's neck and it's belly, and sort of spun-hip tossed it head first into the sidewalk. It started a scramble after my dog, so I used my chest/weight to bury it till I could get a better position. I went to kesa-getame (modified scarf hold for you Judo/BJJ guys), underhooked it's far leg and used my ribs/weight on the back of it's neck -- stretching it out in ways dog's normally don't move -- till it slowed it's scramble. Then I turned it over and (in dog parlance) made it submit to me with my ribs buried in it's diaphragm and an arm across it's throat...

Scariest minute I've had in a long time. Freaked out my wife, daughter, the owner of the pit and a neighbor who all witnessed the attack.

Not something I want to do again...

PS. In writing this out, it looks like I had some kind of plan going on. The truth is, this stuff "just happened." This was my automatic response after 35+ years of martial art.

glennpendlay
05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I guess I've been reading this thread too much. I was riding my bike with my son a few days ago, and we saw this fairly slightly built girl, maybe 100-110lbs walking TWO huge rottweilers. Now, I have seen plenty of rott's. Most are fairly normal sized dogs, maybe 80 to 110lbs. Big but not huge. But these dogs had to go 150lbs + each. They were freaking huge. I mean HUGE. And of course seemed like very nice dogs, very friendly, which in my experience is normal for rott's, usually fairly intelligent, very friendly dogs. But having recently read this thread, I'm thinking, if those dogs came for me, WTF could I do?

Its good that in reality, the vast majority of big dogs are gentle towards humans, at least the ones I have seen. Ive had a few "big" dogs, and they have been incredibly gently. And I'd have to say my pit is the gentlest of all.

David Boyle
05-04-2009, 02:19 PM
In combat or in garrison....you should always have some form of a blade on you at all times.

To cut MREs or a terrorist....

Or to open the mail or stab a beast coming after ya....

Yea man it is scary to think of what an animal can/would do to you if it got out of control on you....

John Vernon
08-23-2009, 11:35 AM
pish, like choking out a pit bull is hard or something, whatevuh...

notice the look of extreme terror on Chico's face, oh yeah, he knows who the alpha male is.