PDA

View Full Version : Caffiene Cuts Post-workout Pain..

Scott Kustes
01-10-2007, 06:49 AM
...by nearly 50% (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070109172152.htm)

Those that consumed caffeine one-hour before the maximum force test had a 48 percent reduction in pain compared to the placebo group, while those that took caffeine before the sub-maximal test reported a 26 percent reduction in pain.
Previous studies have found that the pain reliever naproxen (the active ingredient in Aleve) produced a 30 percent reduction in soreness. Aspirin produced a 25 percent reduction, and ibuprofen has produced inconsistent results.

Unfortunately, these were non-caffiene users and women only and only 9 subjects, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Nicki Violetti
01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I fully support all studies with findings that hold caffeine (coffee) in a positive light.:) And no, I'm not addicted.

Steve Shafley
01-10-2007, 01:29 PM
As a side note, FULLY RELATED TO THIS TOPIC, the guys I know who train at Richmond, VA, "The Weight Room" gym, seem to really find that popping Excedrin before training has a beneficial effect on that session:

Excedrin has:

250 mg acetaminophen
250 mg aspirin
65 mg caffeine

They say they take 3-4.

When the need is there, they say. When the need is there.

Dave Van Skike
01-10-2007, 02:25 PM
...by nearly 50% (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070109172152.htm)

Unfortunately, these were non-caffiene users and women only and only 9 subjects, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Caffeine is super easy to habituate to. I'm not naming names but there are some cyclists who have, from time to time, tapered off coffee in the winter. Thus, they are super sensitive to caffeine in the spring cycling season. Excedrin, yohimbe downed with quad shots of espresso and if possible asthma meds before a hard criterium or mountain stage. Yummy.

Acts like a poor man's belgian cocktail~ boots up your alertness, dulls pain, increases vasodilation, and endurance. Good stuff , but effects are short lived. You get used to it after about 5 or 6 mega doses.

Robb Wolf
01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Caffeine is super easy to habituate to. I'm not naming names but there are some cyclists who have, from time to time, tapered off coffee in the winter. Thus, they are super sensitive to caffeine in the spring cycling season. Excedrin, yohimbe downed with quad shots of espresso and if possible asthma meds before a hard criterium or mountain stage. Yummy.

Acts like a poor man's belgian cocktail~ boots up your alertness, dulls pain, increases vasodilation, and endurance. Good stuff , but effects are short lived. You get used to it after about 5 or 6 mega doses.

I think I'd poop my britches if I did that. Did the ECA stacks a little bit. I'm wound too tightly for that stuff.

Dave Van Skike
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I think I'd poop my britches if I did that. Did the ECA stacks a little bit. I'm wound too tightly for that stuff.

I know more than a few fellas who had to peel out of a long breakaway to "lose a sock" for those very reasons.

Jeremy Jones
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Why would you want to keep it in a sock?

Oh . . . to throw it at the other competitors. Duh, I am such an idiot.

Scott Kustes
01-11-2007, 05:06 AM
That could be the most disturbing thing I've read on this forum. And that's saying something. Congrats Mr. Jones.

Yael Grauer
01-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Excedrin has:

250 mg acetaminophen
250 mg aspirin
65 mg caffeine

They say they take 3-4.

When the need is there, they say. When the need is there.

http://www.pinnaclefitness-online.com/Fitness-research/research_current.htm

Ken Urakawa
01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I thought I had read that somewhere, Yael--but here you come with the citation!

You are ON TOP OF YOUR GAME!!

Allen Yeh
01-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Why would you want to keep it in a sock?

Speaking of socks and poop....

Someone on the radio today said that "poop-socking" is when a gamer spends a such a prolonged amount of time playing they don't even want to stop for the natural body functions. That's what happens when you play a video game for 36 hours straight....

Yael Grauer
01-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Shucks. :o It's in my "no pain, no gain" folder. I have a citation-collecting problem. I do stop to perform natural body functions, however.

I thought I had read that somewhere, Yael--but here you come with the citation!

You are ON TOP OF YOUR GAME!!