PDA

View Full Version : Rob's CA WOD using mainly DB's

Robert Moseley
01-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi all Ive started the CA WOD but.. mainly use DB's rather than the BB for the oly lifts also for the front squat i sometimes substitute zercher squats and db front squats.

The reason well... I'm just to lazy to learn the oly lifts with a barbell lol :p

No thats a joke there is a reasoning behind my madness i guess some personal history might explain.

Ive practiced many different sports climbing, caving, boxing, a bit of judo, running, power lifting the usual body building routines when i was younger (had my first weight set when i was 12) and spent 4 years running around with a pack on my back on behalf of Her Majesty.

I don't have great genetics I'm no special athlete (39 yrs young now ;) ) just loved my training and I've noticed most guys from the forces love hurting themselves training (god bless met cons).

I first came across crossfit roughly 3 1/2years ago and it seemed a natural progression to my training I was after more functionality and GPP. I have to say i have never felt so good as i did then.
I found with the clean I had a big problem racking the weight and no matter how much stretching the triceps and wrist joints i just couldn't get the bar onto the shoulder, I guessed I was one of those that couldn't rack the weight.
I got to a 115kg clean and the weight was getting to much for my wrists so decided to use the dB's

After a week of using the dB's I noticed a big diff on the punch bag, as well as my take downs when practicing a bit of wrestling with a mate.

Well 2 years ago i started with a problem with my leg which messed my training up and the problem was only finally diagnosed when it went to my other leg about 8 months ago. After a course of tabs I'm BACK :) during the time off a mate who is into mma mentioned Ross training so i ordered one of his books and did some research.

I came back about 2 months ago gave Ross a try and liked some of his ideas but missed crossfit, i also wanted to be lifting more but had no idea how to fit it into a routine. After reading on the forums i came across you guys and love what i see so... I'm planning to try and keep the functionality i found with the dumbbells, add a bit of Ross and follow your WOD and see where it takes me.

This is the start of the second week strength for me and loved the first week, which ill post later. My legs felt drained and my core felt tired but that was probably to many met cons (everyday lol)

Another thing due to the problem with my leg i have to run everyday so the metcon tends to always have a running element, just now its on the treadmill but come summer time I'll be back on the track.

To give you an idea of what i can lift for progression purposes

All db lifts are from the floor
Db one arm clean and push press 40kg two arm 32.5kg (each db)
Db one arm power snatch 50kg two arm (30 kg)
squat bb 140kg (3 reps)
deadlift 185kg (3 reps)
zercher squat 100kg (1 rep) Just love this exercise:D
Hang power clean 100kg (1 rep)

This is some of the top of my head ill add more when i can find the scraps of paper i wrote them on i think there are crammed into my chalk bag.

Now i know i wont get as much power from using the dB's compared to the bb but I'm interested to see where i can go with this. I'm still unsure if i should be bringing the dB's from the floor or not but ill be mixing it around so see what happens.

Also after my warm up i practice the frog or handstand press ups both of which I'm so lame but hey.. i like a challenge.

Well thanks for reading and ill post last weeks (1st week of strength) later.

Allen Yeh
01-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Welcome, what is the problem with the legs?

Robert Moseley
01-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the welcome Allen, and its just a genetic blood clotting thing going on nothing to serious more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Well time to dig out those scraps of paper and give you all a good laugh :p

Day 1 Week 1 of the strength workout that started on Dec15th

Back squat - 83% x 3 x 5 110kg
Snatch deadlift - 110% (of snatch) x 3 x 3 60kg db so a one arm dead really
Push press - 80% x 5 x 5 40kg db one arm clean and press
weighgted pull ups 3x3 20kg plate
Stomach The flag as low as i could for 2 then planks using a swiss ball 3x30 secs

the metcon was
run 800m
30leg lunges (each knee touches the floor)
15dips
farmers walk 30m with 35kg db in each hand
20 pressups
rinse and repeat no rest only walking to dumbells etc'

Derek Simonds
01-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the training forums as Allen said. You might want to give 1 arm / 1 leg DB DL's a go and see how they work for you. I don't know that there is any real carryover to the DB olympic lifts but I have played with DB DL's a lot when I injured my leg last year. Lot's of fun variants, same side leg and arm, opposite side leg and arm, suitcase or db between the leg. Good stuff.

Enjoy the DB's and good luck with the leg thingy. My mother in law has a similar problem it has a strange name something 5, whatever it is sucks. She is on blood thinners pretty much for the rest of her life. Twice she has been hospitalized due to clots and the pain. Pretty amazing how our bodies work or don't sometimes.

Chris H Laing
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
You have a really interesting idea. I'll be keeping my eye on your log to see how everything works out.

Garrett Smith
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I originally started CF with just KBs and DBs, I think you'll be fine.

As far as the leg clotting issues, you may want to look into nattokinase and lumbrokinase:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4TfJqNA8sOIC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=nattokinase+lumbrokinase+clotting&source=web&ots=ZEkNFZr_Mq&sig=PHAUY3TextmmtIMp_AuNon0buMw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA107,M1
http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T447441.html

Also, Hemex (http://hemex.com/about.html) is a laboratory that specializes in blood coagulation disorders, you might want to contact their client phone line to see if you can find out more info on your situation.

Robert Moseley
01-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the replies and the welcomes I much appreciate it.

Derek I have the same as your mother in law for a guess, ive Factor v (5) leiden im suppose to go back to the docs soon and start aspirin treatment but im holding off for a bit and trying to see if i can manage it myself hate being on medication it makes me feel weak if that makes sense, but i know i need to go back soon. And love the idea of the one legged stuff, definatley going to start throwing them in soon. I do use the bb for back squats and zercher (sub for fronts) squats.

Thanks chris not sure where ill end up going with this but for now it feels great, ill be starting bag work soon so see what the power and speed are like.

Thanks Garret ill look into those, ive done some research already NHS direct etc so have a reasonble understanding but more info cant hurt.

Cant read my dam notes from last week so going to have to start the log from this week.

Robert Moseley
01-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Well today think maybe went a bit to heavy on the mid hang muscle snatch

Added db split jerks for warm up,
2 dB's for singles and doubles 10kg (each) 15kg 20, 25kg
The went to single db 30kg 40 and then 45kg
All from the floor I think I need to try hanging to make it harder once I get to 50kg one arm ill prob try that.

Mid-hang muscle snatch - 62% x 3 x 3 25kg DB's
2-position snatch (floor, mid-thigh) - 60% x 4 sets 30kg db

Metcon

The bear 45kg BB 4reps then 10x15kg db swings per arm then repeat for 4 sets.
Time wasn't exact but looked at under 6mins which isn't great but felt better than last week.

some stomach.. flag (or as best i can) 2x2 then 3 30sec plank holds using a swiss ball.
I guess Russian twists using an adjustable pulley mc. Hard and fast 4x3 i forgot to write the weights down but finish 3 plates from the bottom, I think it turns into more of a judo throw type movement rather than a Russian twist form wise.

Then a steady run for 10 Min's just to work the legs.

Robert Moseley
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Bad day.. worked a 14hr shift and didnt get home till gone ten this morning, was helping a mate out this afternoon, have the plumbers in working on the bathroom and knew i wasnt going to get any sleep. So had a shower and dragged my sorry ass down the gym, couldnt get a metcon in just to tired so did the routine of the day.

front squat - 75% x 3, 81% x 1, 77% x 3, 80% x 1, 79% x 3
Snatch pull - 103% (of snatch) x 3 x 3
Rack jerk - heavy single; 90% x 1, 85% x 1 x 2

my version is...

zercher squat played around with what felt right.. 82.5kg x3 87.5kg x1 85kg x3 then 90kg x1 85kg .. ran them one after the other rested a few mins then did it again.
As I dont do the snatch on the bb just use db i went for a close grip pull 115kgx3 x3
rack jerk.. now for some reason i struggle with this, the jerk movement hurts my lower back. I much prefer the split jerk, bumbled through them and ended up with single db 35kg and 30kg.
My stabilising muscles felt pretty weak not sure why, could be that id been awake for over 24hrs and feeling flaked.

Note *
Research on the jerks and see if i can get away with the split jerks without much power loss.

Chris H Laing
01-21-2009, 05:35 PM
What youre doing is so cool and original. I love it!!

How are you doing the snatchs and cleans? Do you go one arm or two? Also do you land in a full squat when it called for it? I feel like full squat one armed snatchs would be really tough.

Keep up the strong work.

Robert Moseley
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Cheers Chris thanks for that, sorry I seem to be really busy just now and havent had chance to look at many other logs but will do soon mate.

For the full snatch ive tried with dbs in each hand and find I need a sumo wide stance knees pointing out quite a bit and only a light weight. with the one arm the form is much better but still not that good and the stance probably still to wide.

Having the weekend off and so carried on training so did fridays workout today which will be normal form.

Power clean - 75% x 2 x 3
Overhead squat - heavy single - 80% x 2 x 2

warmed with split snatches hanging with dbs outside the legs, ended up at 25kg each db.
Then singles from the floor to 45kg, wrists feel a little week at the top of the movement my mate thought I couldgo heavier as I was exploding high with the weight but not sure myself.

Power cleans with 2 db's from the floor warming up really to 30kg, felt that was a bit to heavy being honest. Then one arm PClean with (bloody cant remember) think it was at least 40kg could have been 42.5kg

Then some hang power cleans with barbell.. felt weak and only got to 95kg, left wrist flaking so maybe psychological but maybe an off day from no sleep yesterday and training.

Then overhead squats starting to lack motivation and was getting pissed with myself, used a snatch balance to get the dumbell in place then squated.. did 35kg one arm, right side felt a lot stronger than left.

(# Note back still sore from trying jerks the other day.. ill have to miss that exercise out i think, split snatches ftw :D )

Well was getting even more peed off with myself and the gym was getting busy, so did a total mess up with a bear set.. tried for four sets increasing the weight each time off 4 reps reps 3 then crashed at 1
45kg, 55kg, 65kg was to heavy and felt like a wasted exercise but a lesson learnt.
So for metcon something I grabbed from Gym jones
95kg deadlift 30reps ( suppose to be 10 burpees straight after but was flaking fast)
So A funny little exercise not sure what it is.. power clean dumbell and press straight through without stopping.
20kg do one are then the next for 10 reps each arm.
The for what i could muster 20 deads then 15 clean press things and i was dead.

Was pretty miffed felt like i hadnt been training hard enough so tested one are power snatches from the floor... and the 50kg felt the best It had been saying i was pretty tired i was chuffed about.

Then stomach, leg raises 20 followed by leg raises (twisted to the side) 20 each side then circling leg raises 10 each way.
Then (lol) swiss ball planks.. lasted about 30 then quick rest and flaked at about 15.

Well diet going belly up just cant seem to eat at the mo, gone right off my food but not to fussed need to strip all the weight off helps the old leg.

Robert Moseley
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
what a tit.. all the extra's I did yesterday were the CA WOD for today, felt week and tired today did less weights than yesterday.
The only plus was the zercher went to 130kg so not all bad and the stabiliser muscles felt strong so some good.

Weekend off to do some reading and prob add some ross training into the mix I am thinking maybe I need to do some barbell work as well.

Robert Moseley
01-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Well after regrouping over the weekend decided to add some ross training (from his book infinte intensity) to the equation, sat down worked through weeks routine and it went as follows..

Back squat - 87% x 2 x 4
Snatch deadlift - 118% (of snatch) x 2 x 3
Push press - 85% x 4 x 5
Bent row - 80% x 6 x 3
Hanging leg raise - 3 x 15

I changed to

Back squat - 87% x 2 x 4
one arm deadlift - 118% (of snatch) x 2 x 3
Push press - 85% x 4 x 5
weighted pulls ups went to singles
Hard stomach planned for tues so layed off the hangings

after did
5 db swings each arm 22.5kg
5 power snatches
10 burpees explosive jumps

repeat 5 times..
It looked easy but was soon hurting in the second round really loved it.

Then rest a few mins and 42.5kg farmers walk.. round the gym which must be close to 40m.. only just made it for a total of 3 rounds.

That felt like a really good well rounded workout and i was looking forward to the rest of the week then it happened.... the phone call!!!

The ops manager was ill, i was needed to cover (dam 24hr call out but hey not to bad) then the stunner... I had to cover his shift a 12hour night shift.
Extra cover was needed at one of our sites, so i spent 12hrs in the freezing cold one night then the next in the bloody rain, so now all flued up.

Leaving training now this week and will restart week3 strength training on monday.

Think this is turning into a training blog rather than a workout log :D

Robert Moseley
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Still have this crap on my chest so not up to any cardio..

Ran the previous mondays routine without the farmers walk or metcon.
felt weak but had a pb but not sure how, 30kg db each arm hanging split snatch up from 25kg dbs so not all bad i guess.

Robert Moseley
02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
No metcon or any cardio still feeling rough and loads of crap on my chest, but saying that still had a good day.

Muscle snatch - 65% x 3 x 3 dbs 27.5kg per db
Power clean + clean + jerk - 65% (of clean & jerk) x 4 sets wasnt sure to do one arm or two, went for one 3@35kg then one @40kg finding im having to support the dumbell with my free arm on the drive up into the (did splitch snatches) snatch. Need to practice dbs clean power and full.

Tried hanging dumbell split snatches and hanging power snatch

split ended up at 50kg (one arm) on right but felt unsure to attempt on my left arm
hanging Psnatch 45kg.

Need to concentrate on the split my forehead caught the dumbell on the way up more than once

Finished with stomach
Leg raises 20
Side leg raises each side 20
cirlces 10

then 3 lots of swiss ball planks

Im going to video my lifts and let you guys analyse, dont have a camcorder so will see what its like on my mobile, else ill have to borrow one.

Thoughts for the week.. no cardio till maybe friday and then something light really am chuffed with the hang snatches felt a lot easier than from the floor. Prob is 50kg is the max db weight there, they have some oly dumbells but the collars arent that great, may have to buy my own.

Robert Moseley
02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Good day today but still not fit enough for a good met con

zercher squat (80%) 100kg 3x5
Close grip pull 120kg x2x3
db (supported with free arm) split jerk worked to heavy single 50kg
weighted dips 20kg 3x3
hang psnatch worked to single 50kg (db)

the flag x2x2
side bend the rack (judo throw type move) x3x2

missing the cardio

Robert Moseley
02-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Still no cardio chest getting better but still not there

Split snatch dbs 30kg then one arm to 47.25kg

Tall snatch dbs 15kg each arm x3x3
(from the floor)Psnatch+snacth 25kg one arm x4x5 (nice deep squat moved from one straight to the other without putting the weight on the floor)
Snatch Balance single worked up to 40kg one are arm deep squat.

Finished with one arm Psnatch hanging just going through the motions upto 40kg.

felt good

Robert Moseley
02-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Feeling way better but still no cardio

Need to look at my training again.. hitting to the heavy single db lifts in the week once i get to friday (sat) workout im a bit low in the tank.

Snatch - heavy single hang snatch db 50kg
Clean & jerk - heavy single 45kg one arm
Back squat - heavy single 140kg7
deadlift (wanted to get it in) went to single 185kg felt v weak and feel i should have done more

Back hurting and feeling awkward with two dumbells above the head when going into a split snatch, so thinking of holding two dbs but alternating arms. In that one will be cleaned then oh in the split snatch while the other hangs down.

Finished with the flag, and swiss ball planks.. stomach definately feeling stronger.

Week 4 strngth next week, will start cardio on monday, looking at 3 metcons per week mon wed fri sprint session tues and possibly some complex work with two bag sessions in the week as well (2o mins or so)

Robert Moseley
02-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Chest a lot better hit metcon today

Started with Hanging split one arm.. felt week and failed at 50kg
came back and managed to do 50kg for two but still felt week compared to last week... maybe overdoing 1 rep max's the week before.

Back squat - 90% x 2 x 2 126kg
Snatch pull - 107% (of snatch) x 1 x 2 65kg
Press - 80% x 4 x 4 35kg

Metcon (russ training)
5xone are snatchs each arm
5x dumbell swings each arm
10 burpees
repeat 5 times

Wasnt till the 3rd round i needed a 20 sec break so quite pleased.

Robert Moseley
02-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Muscle snatch - 70% x 3 x 3 35kg one arm
Clean + push jerk + hang clean + jerk - 60% x 3 sets 30kg one arm

Metcon

Row 400
burpees explosive x5
20 press ups

repeat 3 times time approx 9-10 mins

Stomach

Flag 2-3 (getting stronger)
side bends 8 each side 10kg plate each side
supermen 15
russian twists 10lb medicine ball 8 each side
repeat 3 times

Robert Moseley
02-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Wednesday

Zercher - heavy single (~90-95%) went to max (new pb) 140kg (full squat)
split jerk - 80% x 1 x 3 supported one arm 40kg

metcon

deadlift 95kg
#dumbell hang clean 17.kg db's

15, 12, 9 reps pretty much non stop (deads then clean, deads then clean etc)

# two db's clean with one (full squat) other hanging to the side then swap over

Then finished with singles split snatch from the floor up to 50kg used this as a finisher

Robert Moseley
02-12-2009, 05:32 AM
hang snatch worked to 50kg one arm (will start rep 40kg from now on)

Snatch balance + 2 overhead squats - 65% (of snatch balance) x 3 sets 27.5kg db one arm
Tall snatch - 35% (of snatch) x 2 x 3 20kg db's
Pull-ups wide grip singles up to 35kg then closer grip 40kg then hammer type grip 45kg

Stomach
Leg raises x15
side leg raises x15 each side
Plank medicine ball 30 secs
turkish get up 20kg 4 each side
repeat twice

finished with hanging split snatch two dbs single to 30kg each arm

Robert Moseley
02-14-2009, 01:10 AM
all singles

Db onearm snatch full squat from the floor 42.5kg
clean and jerk two db's 30kg each hand (crap expected more)
zercher squat 140kg (failed at 150)

Metcon

Felt like id been run over by a steam roller from a good weeks training so stuck to something i could handle

row400
5 burpees
20 pressups
3 times

Robert Moseley
02-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Weekend off

Snatch - 85% x 1 x 4 37kg one arm dbl lift
Clean & jerk - 85% x 1 x 4 35kg one arm full squat straight up from the floor to a split jerk
zercher- 85% x 2 x 3 120kg

metcon

deadlift 95kg & burpees for 15,12,9 ran it near enough non stop

dam that messed my legs up

Looking at the weeks coming up made me realise i shouldnt have been doing the extra single rep max's but hey.. live and learn

Robert Moseley
02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
dble dbs' Psnatch for warm up

Power snatch - 80% x 2 x 3 35kg one arm
Power clean & jerk - 80% x 1 + 2 x 3 30kg one arm (slight strain in right shoulder had to drop the weight from 35kg

Stomach

Flag x5
side bends 15kg plate each hand 8 each side
supermans 15
russian twist medicine ball
ran it twice

The stomach is definatley getting stronger, did some good flags today

Was in bed this morning for 09:30 after a night shift, was up at 12 for a run with the gf then went to the gym for an hour, did the above grabbed an hours kip and back to work till 8 o'clock tom morning.

The appettite is coming back as well, feel like eating now after that chest problem the other week.

Robert Moseley
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
A few hours sleep again, in bed for 0930 up for 1300 @ the gym for 1400.

warm up light snatches

Snatch - 85% x 1 x 4 37.25kg db one arm deep snatch
Clean & jerk - 85% x 1 x 4 42.25kg db went from the floor to a split snatch
Back squat - 85% x 2 x 3 120kg nice deep squat

Feeling pretty tired but needed to do a metcon, needed a familiar one that i could handle mentally so

row 400
burpees 5
pressups 20
repeat 3 times

Robert Moseley
02-21-2009, 06:48 AM
oh man,, i felt weak and drained,. struggled to get to heavy singles

Power snatch - max attempt (only 1 attempt at record) got to 45kg. felt weak
Power clean - max attempt (only 1 attempt at record) hmmm ill forget about this one

tried some stomach but failed miserably

I think lack of food/sleep and possibly overtraining came into affect today, i was told i looked drained. called it a day and walked out the gym crying like a little girl..lol

Robert Moseley
02-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Snatch - 95% x 1 x 2 40kg one arm into a deep squat
Clean & jerk - 95% x 1 x 2 shoulder still funny from the other day so did a straight split jerk from the floor, one arm at 40kg db's prob should have gone to 45kg but felt very strong and explosive
zercher- 95% x 1 x 2 125kg nice and deep but found im leaning forward near the bottom of the movement, not sure if this is natural for this type of squat, need to read up some more,

Metcon

run 800
30 deep leg lunges
40m (ish) farmers walk 45kg db's
press ups 20
5 burpees
repeated twice then on the third time did 60 leg lunges (legs failed and i collapsed to the side lol) and oh boy was the farmers walk hard after that.. didnt drop them though so pretty chuffed after a crap thursday.