PDA

View Full Version : Men 'can fight food urges better'.

Darryl Shaw
01-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Men are more likely than women to be able to resist a plate full of tempting treats, American research suggests.

In an experiment in New York, a group of 23 volunteers were asked to try to suppress their hunger.

The men seemed to do better and brain scans later revealed they had far less activity than the women in a part of the brain linked to desire for food.

The researchers say this ability to "switch off" thoughts of food may explain lower rates of obesity in men.

The complex mechanisms which control how much we eat are not fully understood.

In the experiment, chronicled in the US journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the volunteers did not eat for a day and were then asked to suppress all thoughts of food.

When questioned further, the male participants reported fewer hunger pangs and fewer cravings for food.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7837012.stm

Emily Mattes
01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not surprised at all by this, though I wonder how much of it is social conditioning and how much of it is evolutionary. You can explain both perspectives--on the one hand, you want the childbearers to want as much food as possible to feed their pregnancies. And on the other hand, there are a crapload more food-related shame-and-disordered-thinking issues among women due to the increased pressure to conform to certain aesthetic and behavioral expectations, and that really messes with your ability to maintain a normal sense of control.

Patrick Donnelly
01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
The researchers say this ability to "switch off" thoughts of food may explain lower rates of obesity in men.

That implies men have any thoughts "switched on" at all to begin with! Badum-kish!

Thought the ladies might get a kick out of that one.

Jamila Bey
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I think there's a saying about Sherlock not having something...

Thomas Bailly
04-01-2009, 12:19 AM
That implies men have any thoughts "switched on" at all to begin with! Badum-kish!

What a silly bias for a study,that men have thoughts.....duh

Garrett Smith
04-01-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm not surprised at all by this, though I wonder how much of it is social conditioning and how much of it is evolutionary. You can explain both perspectives--on the one hand, you want the childbearers to want as much food as possible to feed their pregnancies. And on the other hand, there are a crapload more food-related shame-and-disordered-thinking issues among women due to the increased pressure to conform to certain aesthetic and behavioral expectations, and that really messes with your ability to maintain a normal sense of control.
Emily,
I totally agree that women are likely behind the 8-ball food-wise, both evolutionarily and culturally.

Tirzah Harper
04-05-2009, 05:21 PM
The study bears up with what I've seen. And the way something I wish was good for me just nags at my mind for a ridiculous amount of time.