PDA

View Full Version : Building a gym

Cassidy Drake
01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
For those that own a gym, or those that don't. Any input would be appreciated.

Since I left the military three years ago I have toyed with the idea of opening a gym. Not a big one. Enough size for 5-10 people to train at once, and also have a small bit of room for martial arts training.

That being said the martial arts is going to be Tony Blauer and his concepts. Along with Kyusho for cops(pressure points). I was looking to run crossfit type classes of 5-10 people. Some small private training as well. That being said I have been looking at places. Some as small as 800sq ft for 600 a month to 7000 sq feet. I would rather be to small and have to grow later.

Any suggestions on what people found to be a good starting size for training? In my area (Salt lake City) the one for 800sq ft at 600 is a steal as is 300sq ft for around 1700.

Any advice would be welcome.

www.superllc.wordpress.com

those are some of the places

George Mounce
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I think most of the people on the CF side would tell you start small, then expand. If you go too big at first and it doesn't pan out, you are out more money.

Might want to ask affiliates on the CF boards.

Derek Weaver
01-22-2009, 11:56 PM
If I remember right, Coach Glassman got his start with a rower, a barbell and a corner of a Jiu Jitsu studio... or something like that. Pretty freaking small.

I would go with the 800 square feet and try to run staggered classes if it's possible.

Or get business partners to spread the investment risk around.

Cassidy Drake
01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
That's what I was thinking. Until I am so busy that I don't have enough hours in the day to add more classes or not enough room for the people then there is no need for the larger place.

I don't post on crossfit forums. I more read and post here due to online friends ships with Greg and Robb. Just wanted to hear others opinions as well. The affiliate portion of their forum has a ton of info though.

Thanks guys!

Garrett Smith
01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
1500 sq ft or less for a new gym is a good size...use well-thought-out equipment selection to maximize available space for your MA groups.

Cassidy Drake
01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks Garrett. I am doing that currently. Looking at equipment packages from Rogue and garage gym. Granted some things outside of the package will be needed. Equipment will come and go as time goes on I rekon.

Mike ODonnell
01-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Might want to go find an open space (like a gymnastics place) or otherwise....buy basic stuff like Dumbbells or whatever. Build your business up then expand....I wouldn't suggest signing a lease on anything until you have enough steady clientelle to warrant it.....as the fitness industry is full of ups and downs. Alot easier to go outside and do it for free than worry about making rent payments every month for 2+ years.

Cassidy Drake
01-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Might want to go find an open space (like a gymnastics place) or otherwise....buy basic stuff like Dumbbells or whatever. Build your business up then expand....I wouldn't suggest signing a lease on anything until you have enough steady clientelle to warrant it.....as the fitness industry is full of ups and downs. Alot easier to go outside and do it for free than worry about making rent payments every month for 2+ years.

I know what you are saying. Doing that around here isn't to welcome. Many people have found out the hard way. I have a good client base starting up as I will have a fire department and two police agencies sending their new recruits to me. That being said, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND what you are saying. It's part of the reason for starting so small at 800 SQ ft.

Thanks for your input Mike.

Jacob Rowell
01-24-2009, 11:46 AM
We started out in a Park, moved to our backyard when we hit about 10 people, moved to a 1500 sq. ft. facility when we hit about 20, and now we're going on to 5500~ sq. ft. at 60. each move has been seamless, and we've never lost money (though we haven't made too much either). I can't see us ever needing a bigger facility than the one we will be moving into though...

Like everyone else is saying, starting small has worked well for us.

Mike ODonnell
01-24-2009, 11:58 AM
I know what you are saying. Doing that around here isn't to welcome. Many people have found out the hard way. I have a good client base starting up as I will have a fire department and two police agencies sending their new recruits to me. That being said, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND what you are saying. It's part of the reason for starting so small at 800 SQ ft.

Thanks for your input Mike.

If you have the people, then go for it. I would try and get them to commit to auto-monthly drafts for a minimum of 3 months. I've seen several gyms go out of business because of quick expansion. Slow and steady and good things will happen. It's always good to have a good motivated bunch committed to working out for the long haul. Best of luck with your new place!

Cassidy Drake
01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
If you have the people, then go for it. I would try and get them to commit to auto-monthly drafts for a minimum of 3 months. I've seen several gyms go out of business because of quick expansion. Slow and steady and good things will happen. It's always good to have a good motivated bunch committed to working out for the long haul. Best of luck with your new place!

I agree with the auto drafts. Quite a few people have said that. I wouldn't expand until there were no more hours in the day and no more room for adding people or classes. Thanks Mike

Mike ODonnell
01-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I agree with the auto drafts. Quite a few people have said that. I wouldn't expand until there were no more hours in the day and no more room for adding people or classes. Thanks Mike

Even then you can still do piggy backing squats!

Also look for a place that has attached a large (low traffic use) parking lot or other space outdoors to utilize when not bad weather and you have larger groups. If it rains....well there are the piggy backing squats again.

Derek Weaver
01-24-2009, 09:10 PM
+1 on the large outside area if you can find it.

A good place where you can get tire flips etc. going can really help prolong the lifespan if a small-ish space. Sprints, tire flips, relays etc. Good way to maintain and even grow your gym while you build capital.

Best of luck.