PDA

View Full Version : Log

Brandon Oto
01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Moving my log here from the CF boards for political reasons. The previous several months of log can be found there: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39423&page=5

Brandon Oto
01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
1/24/09

Some quad soreness coming in (prob. from both lifting and rolling), upper back a bit, pecs and arms a bit. Calves a fair bit though not a problem.

Practice with Knights. Some fighting, some drill, then... tag football in the mud. Fair enough.

I was wearing my cleats (to fight) and nobody else was, plus of course pretty much everyone's kinda a small geeky type there, so I was flattening some. The conditioning caught up with me of course but with the breaks it went all right. Ankles pulled through pretty well, no rolling... although as I get home now I have a wicked soreness medial and distal of the right medial malleolus (in the little pit), not sure if it just added up on me. Took some bonks, butted knees with someone, but no real injuries. Pretty good speed and power, good hitting though I went all-out rarely (felt kinda bad), mostly good catches though dropped a couple easy ones, and all good throws on the few times I QB'd.

Noticed left knee (mostly during fighting) but not a problem.

1/25/09

Oh wowza, sore as a beast getting out of bed. Subsided but was hearty all day. Calves, glutes (inc. sides), high and outside on quads (pocket area), abs (from calisthenics? particularly on sides, just below ribs. might be from getting hit in football.), shoulder girdle, knees... quite all over.

1/26/09

Still sore, but mellowed some. Mostly in upper quad/outer glute area, calves (all around) some. Groin (adductors), lower back some.

1/27/09

STARTING V-DIET as of this EVENING (post-workout). Schema:

Max: 1393
Min: 1672

1 scoop (Metabolic Drive): 1.5f, 3c, 20p
1 cap (GNC Triple Fish Oil): 1.5f
1 surge (Biotest Surge Recovery): 26p, 51c
1 tbsp flax (whole flax seeds I ground in the blender, couldn't find milled): 3f, 1p
Hot Rox to be experimented with.
Multivitamin each meal.

OFFTRAIN
1: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
2: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
3: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
4: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
5: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 1 tbsp

10 scoops (15f, 30c, 200p) 135f, 120c, 800p
5 caps (7.5f) 67.5f
9 tbsp flax (27f, 9p) 243f, 36p

30c, 49.5f, 209p
120cal c, 445.5cal f, 836cal p
1401.5 calories

ONTRAIN
1: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 3 tbsp
2: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
3: 1 scoop, 1 surge, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
4: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
5: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp

9 scoops (13.5f, 27c, 180p) 121.5f, 108c, 720p
5 caps (7.5f) 67.5f
1 surge (26p, 51c) 104p, 204c
11 tbsp flax (33f, 11p) 297f, 44p

78c, 54f, 217p
312cal c, 486cal f, 868cal p
1666 calories

STRENGTH
medium

BS, high bar
bar trying to stay more vertical, sit between feet rather than pushing hips back. also: ouch, my knees.
95x5 ouch, my lower back! what the hell.
115x5 lower back... maybe depth? high bar position is letting me go lower than normal, past where lumbar is sound? knees a little better but still hurting. man my body is a mess today.
135x5 back feeling better... trying to cut depth to just a little past parallel. knees still ouch.
155x5 notice that I feel outer glutes quite a bit on these. "stay upright" muscles.
175x5 knees/back okay.
185x5 9.68 knees... otherwise felt okay. some butt rise, some knee dive. vid. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/back_squats_high_bar_2_1-27-09.mov
185x5 9.8 slopping up. wahhh.
Feel like a messed-up old man. One of those days. Stretched/massaged ITBs between sets to try to loosen up, helped some. Really tried to stay vertical and make this a high-bar squat; fairly successful although it means less weight. On vid actually looks like I was knee diving more than I thought... could be partially responsible for knee pain. Also maybe try wider stance to get more room to sit into.

SP
bar
65x4 kinda heavy feeling... feeling chest?
95x3
105x5 9.4 feels okay... back a bit ouch... keep wanting to fall backwards.
105x5 9.8 last rep close. ouch back. keep massaging ITBs.
105x5 f5 9.8. fair enough.
Seem to still be a bit sore from last time.

WP
BWx5
5x3
10x3
17.5x3
25x5 9.6 fine.
25x5 9.84 last rep hard.
25x5 f5 9.89. failed just short.
All slow, deadhang with pause at bottom, overhand, thumbs over, full range, DB in feet.

Turkish get-up
30. Started at top.
50. Started at top.
60. Started at bottom.
75(right) failed on the way down.
75(right)
75(left) failed on the way down. vid. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/turkish_get-up_75lb_f_1-27-09.mov
75(left) challenging.
(Challenge from friend; go for TGU max.) All DBs, right arm then left (separately). Much fun.

STRETCHING

Tried to stay off knees mostly (drop lunges but that's it). This and that. Worked the quads a bunch. Foam rolled ITBs with the weird soft roller. By now knees and back are feeling much better. Kept stretching quads at home. Starting to wonder if I'm getting sick.

1/28/09

Knees fine, lower back a little tight, right ankle a little gooky, and I'm definitely sick. Professor yesterday remarked on it, section today was canceled due to TA having a fever, and postal worker mentioned she'd been puking. Apparently there was even a health advisory over university email about some flu with nausea. Fantastic.

Full-on V-Diet.

Allen Yeh
01-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Best of luck with the V-diet. Not doing the nut butters with it?

Brandon Oto
01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Figured I'd just try and stick as close to the rx'd version as possible this time around. Last time I gave it a try I fiddled with a bunch of stuff, but now that I'm back in the States I might as well do it properly.

Allen Yeh
01-29-2009, 02:17 AM
2 tbsp's of PB was part of the RX'ed version.

Brandon Oto
01-29-2009, 02:30 AM
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_mass/the_velocity_diet ?

Allen Yeh
01-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Chris Shugart has changed his formulations over the years, the original V-Diet article is not the same as his latest recommendations.

The new recommendations are a bit more formalized in this Physique Clinic article series about 1/2 down the 2nd page:

http://www.t-nation.com/readPhysClin.do?id=1852678&pageNo=1

Dan John also used PB here:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_transformations/the_new_vdiet_test_drive

George Mounce
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I welcome your log to these boards! Glad to have it over here.

Brandon Oto
01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Fair enough, missed that. I used peanut butter last time I did it; I'll see what's working and possibly add some this time, if I need the variety. At the moment it's just the flax and fish oil for fats.

Brandon Oto
01-31-2009, 08:07 PM
1/29/09

Just slipped one in between classes. Pretty much just squatted.

STRENGTH
light

BS (high bar)
bar
95x5 feeling the knees a bit, but okay.
135x5 good speed now through the top! rattling plates. dunno what changed there. back totally fine.
165x4
195x5 9.8 ddn't really feel that heavy, but significant knee dive on 4th rep, some butt rise in later reps. plates sliding off... shoulda collared.
205x5 9.89 knees a bit ouch. it's TOO MUCH DEPTH, have got to teach self to cut it off higher, everything falls apart that far in the hole.
205x5 9.979 tried using a box to gauge depth. it was actually lower than I thought. between sitting back to find that, and fatigue, these went to shit; got WAY posterior, bigtime GM. even with box close between legs still was reaching back for it, and slowing to find it so lost much bounce. bad call. knees felt okay. got a vid.

SP
didn't really have time or energy for anything (gym closing soon), so just gave a little blood-mover, soft failure with low weight.
65x10
65x6 actually really feeling these; must still be still fatigued, or also the glycogen. mainly shoulders.
65x5

STRETCHING
Short. Quads too.

1/30/09

Rest. Rolled a bit at home. Still stretching quads too. Knees doing okay.

1/31/09

Went with Oliver. Was seriously beat throughout everything; undoubtedly the diet.

Like four CFers all working out in the same area, odd situation.

Was really beat and practically passing out; between the last bits of sick and the diet I really didn't have much. Ah well. Just maintain. (Also could be Hot Rox doing weird things.)

Diet's going fine, but keep thinking about sushi. Tomorrow might be time for the cheat; not quite a week but it's just out of synch cause I started Tuesday, should really be on a weekend for the sake of sense.

STRENGTH
medium

FS
bar
135x4 olly notes that I butt wink/move around slightly at bottom on these. Perhaps partially due to depth but also could use more midline tightness.
155x3
185x5 9.9 last one a grinder. clearly I will not be going heavy on these today.
175x5 9.9 oh boy dizzy
165x5 9.7 easier, still dizzying. really beat up.
Someone was on the cage so I PCd these from the floor. Probably didn't help. Feeling runover and need a nap. Damned front squats.

BP
bar
135x5 good
155x3 good
185x5 9.65 solid stuff.
185x5 9.8 almost failed last, moved bar superiorly, pulled it out. that obviously helps.
185x5 9.8 f4. 3rd barely made it, 4th was basically it negative, didn't leave chest.
olly notes, should arch chest more.

DL
135x3
185x3
235x3 good
285x3 good
305x1 heavy
325x5 f4 9.9. 2nd was grinder, 3rd was reaaaly tough with bigtime back rounding, 4th only got a couple inches before I dropped it sensibly. just wanted to go heavy today, haven't batted for a DL in a while; can't remember the last time I failed on a DL work set, worthwhile. Overhand hook grip. Back felt all right.

WEIGHTLIFTING
light

Just fucked around with a couple one-handed snatches for fun.
65L
65R
135R f
135L f
Obviously just tired and not getting any pop. Ah well.

STRETCHING

None, hustled out. Stretched a tad at home.

George Mounce
02-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Brandon, have you tried AIS? I recently found my old book that has the routine from www.stretchingusa.com and it has worked wonders.

Brandon Oto
02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
New to me. Say more?

Brandon Oto
02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
2/1/09

"Solid meal day" (more like a reasonable cheat). Ate couple burgers w/buns and mustard and three or four sausages at Superbowl BBQ (quite good). One beer. Shake for breakfast and one later.

Rest.

2/2/09

Rest. Not sure if Hot Rox are starting to make me insane. (Edgy, antsy, possibly contributing to facial twitch.)

2/3/09

Coming to terms with the fact that my lifts are not/should not probably be increasing during V-Diet. Will focus on maintaining instead, hammer down form (esp. with these newer lifts like rows, high-bar squats, etc.).

SKILLS
light

Tabata calf raises squeezed into end of workout; no timer, about 4 rounds, no shoes.

STRENGTH
medium

BS (high bar)
bar
95 solid. feeling knees a bit but not bad. they're staying out. per oliver, tightening midline/abs more, belly button in. leaning back helps a bit.
135 damn... left knee realllly wants to dive just a bit.
155 huh. getting loosey. almost no knee dive though.
175 feels heavy, and slightly loose. but, feeling basically real solid.
195x5 9.8 not too bad. some knee dive in a couple of the reps. significant hip shoot on 5th. this is probably a good weight to stay with.
195x5 9.89 some knee dive, significant butt shooting, still not TOO loose.
195x5 9.93 loose. usual stuff. but, no pain anywhere. inner quads (adductors) look big! guess that's good.

SP
barx5
65x5
95x5
these have been pretty slow and lazy, lounging around between sets
95x5 right anterior pec/delt (point of shoulder) feeling tweaked. hmm.
95x5
95x5 last rep semihard.
95x5 slower, but fine.
All with fat bar; got forced into it (damned West people were doing Linda here), then just stuck with it, why not. All felt really solid (guess it's not heavy). pretty much just screwing around, trying to keep up variety with the press and just get something done.

Bent row
95x5
145x5 heavy... no real hip movement though, so a much stricter movement
185x5 9.3 hard to get it all the way.
185x5 9.9 quite a bit more kip
165x5 9.8 hard pulling (feeling arms)
Still with fat bar. Only now am I realizing that you pull these to your stomach not chest, that makes more sense... 185 very hard, initial 9.3 seems wrong. Feeling the deadlift muscles, some lumbar tightness (no pain).

STRETCHING

Usual business. Foam rolled a little at home (not too tight!).

2/4/09

Rest. Didn't stretch or roll, ITBs do feel tight. Up to 2x2 Hot Rox at this point.

2/5/09

Looks like some abs are alllmost starting to peek out. Still some love handles and chest looks little. Ah well. Nobody's as big as they think. Nice waist-to-hip flare though.

Only 1 Hot Rox dose (scheduling, but also just cause).

Finally looked through some of the stuff in Greg's Oly book, as well as my own cue notes (which I never remember to do) made note of a bunch of stuff, will try to Do Things Right and hammer out clean and jerk form. Clean needs polishing and jerk, well, fuck that jerk.

Main points: flare toes slightly in start; flare knees a bit more; slightly wider grip; bar starts over base of toes; look forward but not up; hold visual reference point; rotate elbows out; elbows HIGH AND OUTSIDE; reset grip. Jerk: try wider stance with toes more flared, feeling it more like a squat; chest UP; proper rack (shoulders under but elbows not fully up); slide head back; dip less; weight on heels. (Tried a bunch of things with jerk throughout sets and kept fiddling due to feel and video feedback.)

Pretty good. Resisted urge to go too heavy and raised weight slower, getting mucho vids and trying to correct as I went. Tired (diet) but not egregiously slow; went slow.

WEIGHTLIFTING
medium

CLEAN AND JERK
warmup/drill with stick then bar.
95x3. trying to be perfect with each (more like singles actually). vid. for third rep. good!
115x1 clean a bit forward
115x1 vid. better.
145x1 felt a bit of the slide on the dip.
145x1 vid. hit the throat with bar (on the UP, oddly). slight slide on dip. but pretty solid.
155x1 pretty good!
155x1 f. with vid. very weird; all went okay, but jerked it a bit forward, had some sort of LATERAL wobble, didn't want to chase it off the platform, just dumped it. okaaaay.
155x1 fine. decent clean, dip was ehh, weight was a tad forward on jerk.
165x1 I notice that focusing on the high/outside elbows (to keep weight from catching forward) seems to deemphasize the jump; it's not going very high at all and the jump's pretty weak on videos. jerk felt a bit odd; dipped fairly shallow (good) and didn't seem to push it very high, but got under it with quick feet. thinking about weight back (actually flexing toes up on some)
165x1 vid. no real high/outside elbows. jerk odd again; feels like front leg barely moving into lunge.
165x1 bad clean... but jerk felt quite good. felt like a shallow-dip jerk with toes up, so got under more with catch than drive (theme of last three, but this somehow felt more appropriate).

Pretty much done, need to get to class. Threw in some finishers:

165lb deadliftsx6.

165x1 C&J just to get it up. although frankly it FELT like a good jerk, solid catch, despite a deep dip due to not worrying about it (wish I'd videoed). anyway, held overhead for time, about ~20s. ouch mein shoulders.

25 pushups.

Body feeling good although feeling knees just a tad after that last rep.

STRETCHING

None, had to boogey to class. Stretched a little in lecture. Feeling good.

George Mounce
02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Active Isolated Stretching.

http://www.stretchingusa.com/aboutAIS.cfm

Brandon Oto
02-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Something you've done, George?

Here's the vids: http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/clean_and_jerks_form_2-5-09.mov all but one or two reps. First and last (lightest and heaviest) are frankly probably the best; you can see some inconsistency in the others.

Notes:

-- Gaze is better but I guess I'm still tossing the head back at the end of the first pull. Also: never really thought about it, but why am I throwing my head back on the jerk? Keeping it level may really help.

-- Jerk still problematic. You can see me actually falling backward slightly on a number of reps as I try to keep my weight on my heels in dip-drive; clearly this is not quite the way to go (and useless anyway as I end up on the toes as I drive regardless). Still, things look better than before.

-- Next time will try to focus on jamming my head/chest forward under the jerk. Maybe it's really more that than the drive.

-- First pull looks super sexy with the new tweaks. Thanks Greg.

-- Second pull looks pretty good although weaker and in a few cases inconsistent, presumably due to the attention I'm paying to my elbows

-- Third pull is a bit odd in some places, catching weight just slightly forward or otherwise inconsistent, but not too bad.

Allen Yeh
02-06-2009, 02:18 AM
2/1/09
Not sure if Hot Rox are starting to make me insane. (Edgy, antsy, possibly contributing to facial twitch.)

Hot-Rox messed around with my moods in a big way.

George Mounce
02-06-2009, 03:56 AM
I do AIS everyday now, I had forgotten about it until it was brought up in another thread. I was amazed at how much my flexibility improved again in so short a time. ATG squats? No warm-up needed. Pistol? Ha! Became effortless. I know you are into tweaking and such, may want to check it out as I have found it to be the best way to improve flexibility so far.

Brandon Oto
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
2/7/09

More Oly stuff with emphasis on technique. Oliver came and filmed. Went heavy this time to see what happened at heavier weight.

WEIGHTLIFTING
medium

CLEAN AND JERK
95x5 not bad
115x3 vids. trying to use wider, shorter lunge (bend knee more rather than send leg farther back). good!
135x3 good!
155x2 vid second. jerks felt weird.
165x1 starting to slide on jerks.
175x1 bad
175x1 good
185x1 ? didn't notate
195x1 epic. bad clean, stumbled forward on jerk, started to lose it SIDEWAYS, ran out of platform and dumped it, blew up my chalk bucket. One for the ages. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/clean_and_whoops.mov
195x1 tried again. simply bad/low jerk. vid.
Conclusions: the jerk is ingrained in me at heavy weights. Stay lighter and drill the shit out of it until I can learn to push up weight without getting on my toes.

STRENGTH
light

BS (lowbar)
bar
225x5 9.7
225x5 9.69
225x5 9.87 tougher but fine.
Just wanted to throw in a squat, didn't really feel right going too heavy. Could've done more though. "Big chest" helps keep my thoracic up, should try to keep that proper.

STRETCHING

Quick through the basics.

2/8/09

Feeling BS sore (lower back, adductors, glutes some), lower traps some.

2/11/09

Slipped into gymnastics practice in last half hour after coming back from work, said hi and screwed around on the apparatus. Bunch of pbar stuff, some pommel, a little high bar and rings and other stuff. Good enough in my current state. Ring swings actually looked decent.

2/12/09

SKILLS
light

Tabata calf raises squeezed in at end, 3 rounds, no time, no shoes, active rest at about level position.

STRENGTH
light

BS (high bar)
bar -- big chest, look forward, get it right
bar
95 feels GOOD
135 good
155 solid. not as easy but no pain at all.
185x5 harder but still no pain.
195x5 9.5 plenty doable.
195x5 9.75 more butt rise. still zero pain.
195x5 9.8 challenging, some butt rise, no pain.
Finally nailing these. Feels good. Got a free iPod from a marketing scheme and am using music again, which actually seems to help tune out the bullshit. Almost died watching someone learn to clean though.

WEIGHTED DIPS
BWx5
10x5 DB squeezed between thighs
17.5x5
35x5 9.8 DB held in knees
35x5 9.84 f5. palms in this time. juuuust barely short on the 5th.
35x5 9.88 f5. very barely made 4th, 5th was just a negative. back to palms out.
Just wanted to play with these, liked 'em, should do more dips. All on static bars with slight outward angle, torso held as vertical as possible, pretty deep (close to armpits), deadhang.

LEG RAISES
Just wanted some ab and flexor stuff. Elbows supported in dip rack and back against pad, butt is pivot point, legs straight, WL shoes still on, no toe point. As explosive and high as possible. Followed by tucked L-sit to soft failure, ~15 seconds or so.

STRETCHING

Quick, just the very basics.

2/13/09

Rest. Partied in evening, so cheat, though tried to minimize; ended up just doing three large shots of 151 at beginning of night and a couple of other shots at other points. Pretty efficient. Had a leetle bit of chocolate cake at one point as well.

2/14/09

Headed over to the open gym at Greg E's new place in Sunnyvale. Super nice, good folks, new gear, lots of fun. Will try to go again.

SKILLS
light

Rowed a couple minutes to warmup.
Mobility and light drill with PVC.
Post-workout played around on bar and rings for a moment with a few muscleups and such.

WEIGHTLIFTING
heavy

SNATCH
65x5 finding form.
95x2 not really feeling it.
115x1 not sticking at this weight, plate situation is weird
135x1 bit unstable at bottom. need to get elbows out in pull. vid. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/snatch_form_2-14-09.mov
140x1 okay... seems to be a pretty low pull.
145x1 f caught at bottom, paused, plates were sliding out so dropped intentionally. let's use clips. call it a good lift.
150x1 okay
155x1 okay. vid.
160x1 f low :(
160x1 f juuuust a bit forward. almost had it. hey get a little more air donkey boy. vid http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/snatch_failure_160_2-14-09.mov
160x1 f low. didn't really even try for it. clearly fatiguing. guess I'm done.
First time trying snatch with new technique stuff. Significant breaking-in period but seemed to generally work out. Not my finest moments though.

CLEAN AND JERK
95 actually hit chest with bar and stopped. uhh. feel very weird after the snatches.
95x2 bar's almost too light. jerk loose.
135x1 f lost the CLEAN. I should've warmed up this more, it's all screwy transitioning in after the snatch.
135x1 bad, stumbled in jerk.
135x1 okay
155x1 better
165x1 threw back head on the jerk
175x1 ehh. big ol' knee slide.
switched to just cleans here, will work on jerks another time
185x1 weight's forward; ugly.
195x1 forward on the squat
185x1 vid. felt bad but looked a bit better. forward and bleh though. get those elbows out in pull and up in rack. vid http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/clean_185_2-14-09.mov

Seriously crummy stuff today.

POWER CLEAN AND JERK
For a bit of jerk practice.
135x1 PC and 2 jerks.
135x1 same. Ugly stuff.
http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/jerks_135_2-14-09.mov

ONE-HANDED SNATCH AND CLEAN AND PUSH JERK
Just for a bit of cooldown and for fun. Clearly I can't lift for shit today with two hands anyway. Plus I wanted to see these on vid.

snatch R 65
snatch L 65
C&J R 65
C&J L 65
snatch R 95
snatch L 95
snatch R 95 for vid
C&J R 95 for vid
http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/one-armed_oly_95_2-14-09.mov

STRETCHING

Light, just quads and loosened a little.

Brandon Oto
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
George, is there some free material available on AIS, or do I have to buy the DVD?

Brandon Oto
02-19-2009, 01:05 AM
2/15/09

Hams somewhat sore (dead center), traps, glutes a tad.

The following happens when I have more than four Hot Rox a day: headache (dull and mainly around the periphery of anterior/lateral to temples), gum-ache, and antsiness.

2/16/09

Rest. Did about four rounds of Tabata calf raises in evening, fairly leisurely, no shoes, passive rest. 2 Hot Rox (at once) only.

Basically broke down in evening per diet (after three shakes total today). Went to Italian place down the street and had a fantastic meal. A few pieces of bread, caprese (buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, parma ham, basil), seafood gnocchi (crustaceans, brandy tomato sauce), tiramisu. Just what I needed. Dunno what was up.

Tried a few TKEs with a band (the bike innertube) around the table leg. Man, ye old caps are tracking out like heck.

2/17/09

Just two Hot Rox (one dose).

Weighed at gym in underwear only, about 178. I guess probably includes glycogen after yesterday's meal.

Ran out of Metabolic Drive and using other protein until reinforcements arrive (probably tomorrow). Not tasty.

SKILLS
light

Tabata calf raises post. No shoes, passive rest, 4 rounds, timed.
30 30 30 24
Actually sort of impressive progress on these although I may have been using a slightly shorter ROM than usual. Also tried to hit some different angles in different reps (outside, inside, etc.)

STRENGTH
medium

BS (high bar)
bar
loosened up, bar. feels fine.
135 feeling left knee a bit
155 good. feeling knees. decided to go deep on these (ass to ground pretty much) just for kicks.
175x4 deep. knees.
195x5 9.78 deep. knees. challenging. some butt rise.
195x5 9.84 buttrise. knees. still in control though.
195x5 9.86 rack hurting traps.
Not the best of days.

DL
Saw a CFer pulling and decided to jump in. He was already up a bit in weight so I just joined him, not the smartest thing.
215x5 damn, why'd he put on the octagonal 45s, thing won't roll...
235x3 fine... feeling twingey in the adductors some. shoulda warmed up the motion more.
295x2 pretty heavy
295x3 9.8 decided to just work at this weight. was thinking 5 but body actually said stop (mostly lower back but also grip -- dang sweaty and actually needed chalk but oh well).
So... deads right after back squats... challenging. Lumbar's quite tight.

Weighted dips
BWx5
10x5
25x5
32.5x5
32.5x5
35x5 9.88 all doable
Probably could've gone a little heavier across. All on bars with palms slightly in, DB squeezed between thighs, torso vertical as possible.

L-HANGS

Hung from bar and moved through various L orientations -- straight L, alternating one-leg, straddle, tucked, back to hang, that sort of thing until soft failure. Three rounds.

STRETCHING

Nothing on the knees but otherwise normal. Dislocates, quads.

2/18/09

Full Hot Rox and diet.

Lats, traps, triceps sore from dips, hips (mainly glutes) a little from squats/deads, groin a bit, and tragically, knees. Calves somewhat sore from Tabatas.

Went to gymnastics on a whim. Was thinking of just fooling around but ended up going fairly heavy. Found the Total Gym with ring grips there and did some cross pullouts and butterflies, propped up on bench, and also with 60lb DB in knees. Not bad; thinking of doing cross training again. Saw an article an T-Nation from Sommers on using DBs (hang from bar), could be interesting. Played with some front levers on there too and some other stuff.

Also a bit of ring work (some swings, general fooling around, tuck front levers, couple muscleups, archer pullups, etc.), some pbar swings and stuff, some fooling around on a highbar, hung for time with straps straps from a bar until bored, some dragon flags and reverse hypers off a pig, bit of inlocate technique work, bit of handstand practice, some L-sits and hangs (some with 10lb on feet), played like I was going to muscle-up with 60lb (after everything else, that was lol), that sort of crap.

Definitely noticing an upper body work when got home, suffered through a cold shower to try to take the edge off. Very hungry again.

Brandon Oto
02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
This has truly been my greatest triumph.

http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/dream.jpg

Brandon Oto
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM
225 one-handed deadlift (both hands, filmed one), no chalk with me unfortunately, but used some dust off the ground and wrapped a bit of tape around the bar. Could do more with chalk, pretty sure. Hook grip.

http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/one-handed_deadlift_225_2-20-09.mov

Will transcribe log later...

Chris H Laing
04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
So i cant help but notice its been a really long time since you posted in your log...

Brandon Oto
04-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah so I have been very lazy about my logging. In part because for a while I was doing mainly just gymnastics, which I don't really log, and in part because even when I've gotten back into the gym more, I've been too lazy to transfer from my book to my computer.

But I took a bit tonight and transcribed the backlogs. This is not elegant stuff, just raw logs, mostly me gradually working back up some strength with emphasis on quads, slowly restarting some conditioning, and rehabbing my knees. Scheduling is generally a mess due to a haphazard work schedule so I'm just doing what I can.

Most of the calendar gaps were gymnastics workouts, if I lift I'll almost always log, although I think I did at least a few workouts where I lost the logs.

Brandon Oto
04-16-2009, 12:42 AM
2/20/09

BS (high)
feeling knees a little
bar
loosened up, bar again. feeling okay.
95 massaged out ITBs.
135 pretty solid, knees feel fine
[some dude started to work in]
185x3 fine
205x5 9.8 fair. some butt rise.
205x5 9.88 pretty heavy. butt rise. solid though, and knees okay.
205x5 9.92 last rep a grinder

Tried to contrive cross pulls. Tried hanging from knees with 10lb DBs, didn't work well, extremely dangerous. Ended up using cable machines, kneeling in middle.
4x5
5x5
6x5
6x5
6x5. elbows feeling a little stiff.
6x5
6x5.

Platform play...

Suitcase DL 135 L R

Straddle DL
155 R L
185 R L
205 R L
225 L. need chalk, had none. chalked up in some dirt by the wall and put a little tape on bar.
225 R f. slipped out.
225 R vid. solid. hook grip of course.

DL 225

Bent press
45 R L
65 R f
65 R L
95 R trying to keep arm straight. hard stuff. going fairly fast.
95 L

Tried to zercher DL 95 and wasn't happening

R then L straddle 2 hand DL (Jefferson) 95

OHS 95x5

Suitcase DL 95 5 each side. actually feel that in the back a bit, and slightly winded.

Ab slideouts with hands on towel. Knees on bar tampon. Quite a lot of friction, turnaround very hard. 5 reps. Then used bar with 25lb bumpers, that's easier, 5 reps. Then one slow dragon flag on bench, resting on scapulae, toes pointed, straight, reversing at horizontal. Then another rep that didn't quite reverse.

Tabata calf raise
24 much burn
no shoes, timed, full ROM, passive rest.

3/3/09

DL
235x3
285x3
305x3 losing grip
325x3 alt hook grip. back rounding.
305x3 hook grip. tough but aight. slight rounding.
305x3 almost lost grip on last. L grinder.

Fiddled with 45lb DBs but knees REALLY were hurting. PNF hams and straddle (against wall), quads against wall.

3/4/09

FS
some dude working in
95x5
95x5
205x3 9.999 last one awful
185x3 9.98 last grinder. feeling knees a little afterwards.
155x5 9.45 knees wavering some, no big butt rise.

Clean and Jerk
trying to fix jerk
65x3 good
95x3 good
135x3 solid
155x2 pretty bad
155x1
155x1 vid. poor.

3/10/09

Weighed in at 171. Goodness.
Knees pretty bad. DL's all that seems smart.

DL
135 all feels fine
185x4 fine
235x3 pretty heavy. knees fine.
255x1 fine
285x1
335x1 grip peeling
355x1 9.87 heavy...
375x1f 9.95 got it up a few inches.
335x2 9.89 thumbs hurting, dizzy.
335x2 9.91 some lumbar rounding on second. thumbs, dizzy.
335x2 9.9
315x4 9.3
Clearly over 20lb short of my old DL PR.

Did a couple C&J at 115 after some dude did grace, helped him with his third pull. Then 5 OHS at 115, feels weird without shoes.

Push presses at 95 to work on jerk form.
95x4 vid. good!
95x4 vid. felt good. staying TOTALLY on ground, feet flat. banging up clavicles though.
95x4 accidentally jerked the first rep. also hit jaw on one...

Much stretching and foam rolling

3/12/09

Fuck I'm looking lean.

Gymnastics. Goodly number of handstand attempts in between everything. Mostly just playing on pbars. Got a moy to upper arms! Also backward roll from basket (probably not a skill, but cool), and really quite decent front uprise. Swings solid too. Next time work on KIP!

Knees bad earlier but good by gymnastics, much stretching, felt fine through workout, much stretching and PNF and foam rolling at home.

3/13/09

Experimenting with some stuff for the knees.

Stretched out quads

Some highbar BS with 65 and 95
Split squats with 95
Bulgarian split squats, rear foot on 45lb bumper on box (too high frankly)
95x5 each side. difficult to coordinate. feel the quads though! wobbly.
95x5 these are hard to do. sweaty. lower back feeling it.
Regular split squats with 95. hurting the off-knee. these are a little easier though.
Stretched quads
Some stick OHS

OHS
95x5 okay
115x5 okay. feels like knees are dipping in a tad at bottom, lower back a little tight. I should do these more.
135x5 (power clean and BNK jerking). oof, hard.

Step-ups to 2' box
95x5 each side. very hard. stepped with slight rock-off. landed straightlegged.

3/14/09

Morning gymnastics, dragged along Oliver. Some moys (got one good one; need to make sure to tuck), some other pbars (bunch of swings, some front uprises -- two okay ones -- some routines), a bit of ring stuff (swings felt crappy and were uneven; did one each inlocate/dislocate), some kip attempts on low bar and pbars (not great), some highbar basics (pullovers and hip circles; think I almost had a clear hip by accident), some scissor hop attempts on pommel (got fairly close on one), general tomfoolery, some cartwheels and a fair number of handstand attempts (starting to be able to recover from fall-towards-feet by arching out). Hands fairly beat up.

Shit, what happened to my lower back? Don't think I did anything specific. Maybe just working out in the morning, spine not yet ready for flexion? Kinda tired too cause not enough sleep. Ate a bunch of cookies and slept early.

3/15/09

Slept looong. Ate a few more cookies and spent the day studying. Lumbar still tight but cleared up much as day progressed. Knees okay.

3/18/09

Gymnastic. Just Ken and Alex. Bunch of handstands (eh), bit of floor, worked on moys (must not twist or anything, just stay solid), got it pretty consistent, couple front uprises, then worked on kips.

GOT THE KIP! I DREAMT THE WHOLE THING LAST NIGHT AND IT ALL HAPPENED. Ripped up big time but taped, grips, and finally started to get it on the bar. Just need the right timing and mucho power. Got one good one on pbars too, sorta harder. Much thanks to Alex. Got one on video, looks gooood.

Tried some ring swings, pretty bad, spent some time in turned-out support (better than it used to be), managed one L. Three sets of max hanging leg raises, some hollow rocks (hmm, lumbar acting up again), some stretching, done. Wheeeee.

3/19/09

BS highbar
stretched, 5 OHS@95
bar feels good.
95 really good
135 still good, bit less solid
155 starting to feel left knee.
stretched quads
185x5 9.1. some butt rise. knees fine.
205x5 9.95 really tough. biggg butt rise on last. knees feel fine though. some diving.
stretched quads
195x5 9.899 pretty big butt rise, knees fine. feeling quads in a good way.
185x5 9.8 what you'd figure. knees fine.

Played with leg extensions for knees. 4 sets, 105 degree angle, weight at 5, 6, 7, 8. quads burn.

Hanging leg raises to soft failure, 3 sets.

Tabata calf raise
?, 36, 34, 26. incorporated lateral angles as much as possible, which shortened ROM some. passive rest, no shoes.
Then reverse calf raises (on heels), not bad.

3/24/09

BS highbar
stretched quads
155 knees fine, bit wobbly.
185x5 9.4 some buttrise.
205x5 9.89 hard. serious GM on last couple.
195x5 9.89 same business
185x5 9.82.

Set of 5 hanging leg raises, realized how deep ab soreness is from last time, called it quits.

Leg extensions
8x5
9x5
11x10
11x10
kinda hurts knees.

Tabata calf raises
Untimed and uncounted, multiangular, alternated with reverse raises, passive rest, no shoes.

<took off 4 days. feeling overtrained. ate a lot and did very little, let pains ease. really helped.>

3/30/09

BS highbar
bar. knees feel GREAT.
195x5 9.79. bit heavy but good.
210x5 9.865 heavy, but all feels good. just slightly favoring left side.
215x5 9.97 felt like I tweaked lumbar on second. otherwise QUITE heavy but still solid.
205x5 9.86 feeling the back a bit, but solid.
good stuff!

DL
saw a dude pulling and joined in for fun.
125 etc. just playing.
160x3. lumbar complaining. guess I'll stop.

BP. worked in with someone.
175. rests are minimal due to sharing.
185x5 f3. oof.
165x5 feeling elbows a bit (pbar-type soreness).
165x4

CONDITIONING

PM WoD
3 rounds
10 35lb DB snatch (5 each side)
25 situps
4:03. probably the easiest metcon I've ever done. situps a bit challenging.

Knees FINE.

4/1/09

Groin sore.

BS lowbar
fsed bar
bsed bar
stretched quads
185x5 8.05
225x5 9.25 heavy but totally solid. nice bounce. feels nice to lowbar again, been a while. feel a little lower ab hernia-type pain on completion.
235x5 9.91 classic grind. some twisting towards left. felt solid.
225x5 9.9999 true max.

SP
all dead stop
bar
95x5 felt lumbar
105x5 9.7 last just slightly hard
105x4 9.95 almost f on 4th, stopped. left side rising faster.
feeling lumbar. took a fair rest.
105x5 9.94 some L>R dominance again. LG.

CONDITIONING

5 rounds
7 kipping pullups
7 40lb DB swing (eye level)
3:25
Difficulty 8.8
Intensity: 6.9
easy, felt fine.

Tabata calf raise, front and back, ~4 rds, untimed and uncounted, no shoes, passive rest, multiangular.

Usual stretching plus PNF hams and adductors. Much quads.

4/6/09

BS highbar.
bar. some dudes are working in for pullups on the cage.
95 feeling a bit tweaky, nasty.
135 left knee
155 aight.
185x5 8.5 slowed but that's it.
205x5 9.0 bit of wobble on last couple. rack hurting a little.
225x5 9.9 last real close.
215x5 9.9 screamed on last. but of knee dive.
205x5 9.8999 similar.
kinda getting gassed from these, hard to recover from.

Weighted dips
Palms slightly in, DB in thighs, torso vertical as possible, deep.
BWx5 feeling a little tweaky
15x5
20x5
25x5 pretty easy
30x5
35x5
40x5 starting to feel heavier
45x5 8.9
50x5 9.7 LG
50x5 9.79 last 1.5 grinder
50x5 f5 9.85. failed towards bottom.

CONDITIONING

Rowed at aerobic pace. 121 drag (can't increase higher on this machine)
3:21 711m (2:29/500) @ 23SPM. paused to help girl with something and cramped up. feeling the cardio, plus ab cramp and lower back.
Rest then
712m in 3:25 (2:23/500) @ 23SPM. abs and lower back ouchy. I'm beat.

4/9/09

BS highbar.
bar
stretched quads
165 fine
185x5 8.5
205x5 9.3 LG (well, a little slow anyway). nada pain. cool.
235x5 9.9 buttrise on last 2.
235x5 9.98 heavy. saw buddha.
220x5 9.97 much buttrise.

10 15lb supinated pullups, just because the DB was there

Weighted dips
BWx5
20x5
30x5 short rests
40x5
50x5
55x5 9.1 slower on last couple
55x5 9.5
50x5 9.4

CONDITIONING

~2 mins on rower, hard-ish.
Fast walk on treadmill. 5:03, .34 miles, grade 4.0. quick feet. feeling the cardiorespiratory. sigh.

4/10/09

Bit of a recovery day.

Snatch
115x3 okay
135x1f [the log says "forked." what?]
135x1 not great
145x1 needed a bit of rough stabilization overhead
155x1f awful
155x1 f f f. sigh. give it up.

CONDITIONING

Oliver is doing 20 box jumps, 20 burpees, 500m, 3 rds. I row 500 when he rows and rest otherwise, so basically intervals.
1. 1:35.1 42SPM. flew out to about a 1:23 split, felt nice. just short of halfway completely bonked.
2. 2:02.0 29SPM. fell apart ridiculous shortly in. could barely move at all. true metcon gassing. was hitting splits of 2:20 or more
3. 2:00.4 29SPM. could barely move arms.
Intensity 10
DIfficulty 8.5
Didn't feel right for a while, could not catch breath.

4/13/09

Really, really goddamned tired.

BS highbar
bar
stretched quads
135x5
185x5 heavy.
205x5 9.6
225x5 9.99 LG. very dizzy. okay, this will not be a serious day.
205x5 9.8 knees feeling a bit wobbly.
205x5 9.8.

Hanging leg raises, WL shoes on
10lb DB in feet x5, feet to bar, shoulder flexion, a little knee bend
10lb x3 f4 heavy.
BWx10, explosive.
BWx7

Some one-handed juggling with 25lb plate
then series of alternating-hand sets of 5 powerful swings w/35lb DB.
Just play, very easy.

4/14/09

Running. 800m at jog, felt aight, very rough on lungs. Rest. 800m at 10s walk/10s run. Chest pain and pain behind ears (?), headed indoors to use treadmill. 1 mile at about 7mph for each .25 (last .3), then about 3mph for .10. Grade 1.5%. Fair enough.

Ankles and legs held up remarkable well. Just a bit of left knee twinge afterwards.

Plank on elbows to soft failure, everything tight. Then straight arms on fists. Then facing up, arms straight and behind. Then left side, straight arm, legs on top of each other. Then right side. Some stretching and boogied.

4/15/09

WOW, actually QUITE sore. Ankles/calves some from running, sure, but whole body really -- must be the damned planks! Also dan and I got a little worked up last night bouncing around a blown-up glove with cardboard tubes while drunk... drunken exercise tends to make me sore... aaanyway.

Borrowed oliver's KB (55lb) and just did some general shit at home. Fair number of swings, 1 and 2 handed, mostly sets of 5-10. Some clean and jerks, some snatches (hurts forearms, form needs work), a few windmills, front squats in sets of 5, a few DLs and suitcase DLs and such. Actually really getting gassed from swings and such.

Brandon Oto
04-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm not gonna sort through 'em, but here's vids from that period:

gymnastics meet
http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/gymnastics_2nd_meet_09.mov

glide kip
http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/kip_3-18-09.mov

parallel bar kip, and moy to upper arms
http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/pbar_kip_and_moy_3-23-09.mov

first time I've seen my jerk look correct... too bad it's with 65 pounds.
http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/flat_jerk_2-22-09.mov

225lb one-handed DL (also linked previously)
http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/one-handed_deadlift_225_2-20-09.mov

Brandon Oto
04-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Also, Joe Cavazos and I are doing some development on a suite of quantifiable GPP tests. It's still rough and isn't really usable yet; it'll be operable through Logsitall, but there's some spring cleaning going on over there. If anyone's interested in trying the material out in the meantime, let me know.

Chris H Laing
04-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Also, Joe Cavazos and I are doing some development on a suite of quantifiable GPP tests.

I'm interested, but isnt that exactly what the crossfit girls are for?

Brandon Oto
04-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah. But that panders to a different definition of fitness, and is too low-resolution for most purposes anyway.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
04-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Also, Joe Cavazos and I are doing some development on a suite of quantifiable GPP tests. It's still rough and isn't really usable yet; it'll be operable through Logsitall, but there's some spring cleaning going on over there. If anyone's interested in trying the material out in the meantime, let me know.
Interesting. Why don't you post it here so some of us can give it a go?

Brandon Oto
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, fine. Here's what I sent Chris. This will not be particularly easy to use without a handy backend to organize it and do the calculations for you, and it's still fairly untested. No complaining.

Here's the info http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/gpp2.txt

And here's the general scoring. Click the "GPP Test" tab at the bottom of the page. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pgpM1_fJctXPD-AqauagEOQ&hl=en

Feel free to play. If you do any of the tests I'd appreciate the results -- some of them (eg. the muscular endurance tests) could still be tweaked in parameters, and some of them (eg. the tabata row test) could be tweaked in scoring.

Brandon Oto
04-24-2009, 12:35 AM
4/16/09

Weighed at 173.

Quads and glutes have grown a little, but noticeable. Triceps too; shoulder girdle in general looking pretty good. Significant love handles as always.

BS highbar
stretched quads
bar
135 feeling pretty solid. a bit nutty from caffeine, though, had a few extra espresso.
175 getting a little heavy but still SOLID
205x2 good.
240x5 f3 feeling good so went heavy. nearly got third rep, but no. very dizzy. left knee medial aspect a little tweaked.
225x5 9.9 LG. bit of that left knee again.
215x5 9.9 LG. ditto.
feeling glutes activate pretty good. calling it quits though, think I angered the knee on that failed set. nuts.

WP
all on bar, palms out, DB in feet, full ROM, strict, wearing WL shoes, no chalk.
BWx1
15x3
25x3
35x3
45x3
55x3
65x3 9.85 grip slipping some
65x3 9.9 barely got chin over on last
65x2 9.8
65x2 9.85 barely got over top
65x1
been a while since I done these, so felt out the weight. felt aight. pretty short rests.

Handstand on wall, facing wall, head neutral, body not hollow but straight. messed up timer on first, maybe a bit less than 1min. then 42s. traps burning and noticing elbows a bit.

Hanging leg raises
10, explosive
6, explosive, stopping swings between. grip went first.

Planks
Face up, toes pointed. felt glutes.
Face down, shoulders active, on fists. felt abs.
Left side on hand, felt obliques, hard to balance
Right side on hand, ditto
All to soft fail.

4/20/09

so fucking hot. might be 90. hard to do anything.

BS high
bar
stretch quads
135 knees feeling betterish
195x2 getting heavyish. took a little vid to check form. looks aight. could be even more vertical I guess. http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/back_squats_high_bar_form_4-19-09.mov
225x5 9.92 pretty heavy
175x5 8.9 left knee hurting, a little lateral of usual. jeez.
knees saying no more today. let's DL for more knee friendliness.

DL
playing with speed deadlifts. used 240 (about 60% of old max), doubles on the minute every minute for 9 rounds. most with hook grip. WL shoes on. felt mid back some. pretty doable.

Weighted pushups
45x5
45x5 feet on 5" box
45x5 feet on 5" box
Messing around with these. Slid 45lb plate onto upper back. All started from bottom. Fairly hard actually. Easy to move elbows around, not sure if that's good or bad.

Plank walkups (mtn athlete drill: http://mtnathlete.com/subpage_details.php?subpage_ID=274&page_ID=14).
30s in one "direction"
10s in other (shoulders/chest gave out, quite fatigued)

Upward plank to soft failure

Couple of dragon flag negatives

Minor stretching, got the hell out of the heat.

4/23/09

Weighed at 175ish and looking kinda soft. Fine, fine, I'll stop eating bags of cookies.

Left knee KILLING me. stretched out etc., helped, but can't get past pain in loaded flexion. No chance of squatting. Decided to play with wide-stance box squats.

BS box
bunch of reps with bar trying to find form. box is about 10", prety deep for a PL squat (about to top-of-quad parallel). going shoeless rather than WL shoes.
95x7 feeling the left knee, but not unbearably.
115x5 aight. knees moving forward just a bit, maybe .5 to .75 inch.
135x5 feeling the lower back some
155x5 becoming difficult to leave the hole.
155x5 quite hard. fell back a couple times. vid. http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/box_squats_form_4-24-09.mov
155x5 hard as hell. groin quite involved, and lower back. wonder if I'm rounding due to stance flexibility.
155x5 vid again. http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/box_squats_form2_4-24-09.mov

Didn't want to involve knee so did an easy little upperbody circuit, no time or anything.
5 pullups (strict at first, kipping after first 2 rds)
5 presses (strict; used bar for first rd then 65lb for the rest)
5 body rows (on smith machine; feet up on 10" box for all rds but last. these were the hardest.)
5 pushups (hands on 25lb plates, maybe 1 inch of elevation)
Did about 4-5 rds. rows got quite hard. rest easy.

Planks on elbows with feet on 15lb medball. really hard actually. then face-up on elbows and ball, same. then side planks on elbows. then straight-legged situps holding the medball overhead. just play.

[Later note: knee actually felt miraculously better after subsequent class. hmm.]

Brandon Oto
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
4/29/09

Went back to gymnastics. Breeze was there to coach, that was neat. Much floor work, inc. some new stuff like one-handed cartwheels, and almost nailed an okay front tuck. Then pbars; still have the kip, moy, etc., looking good. Front uprise still inconsistent. Got the cast to upper arms with a bit of practice. Tried some flyaways off end of bars but ripped so stopped after two attempts. Then some strength.

Knees were feeling great before but went nuts during punch stuff on floor and now feel garbage. Crap.

4/30/09

Tried to do some hill sprints but knees are totally fucked. Ran it once, swung the KB a few times, and stopped. eff.

5/1/09

Birthday!

Went to gym with Oliver.

BS box (PL)
moved box up to just a touch past parallel.
bar
185x5
185x5 vid. looks okayish. http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/box_squats_form3_5-1-09.mov
185x5 tough but all doable.
185x5

BP
155x5 jumped in with oliver
185x3
195x2
215x1f nope.
just fiddling around, curious where this was at, haven't benched much in ages. old max was 220 (during SS) so not quite there.

One-arm hang for time. Right side, 35s. Didn't do left due to rips.
Just for fun. Interesting though, hard to stop from spinning.

Dragon flags, top to top. 2 good ones and 1 negative.

5/5/09

Wore Vibrams. Mmm.

BS box (PL)
bar
185 9.5 heavy
195 9.6 gave some more thought to basic squat mechanics (lumbar etc.), felt better.
205x5 9.8 sat down twice on second rep. heavy.
205 9.94 really heavy. interesting that I can't really cheat by shooting hips, as they're already fully involved.
205x5 9.98 LG.
lumbar tight. really pushed for these.

Weighted dips
BWx5
20x5
30x5
40x5
55x5 9
55x5 9.999 LG bigtime
55x3 9
55x3 then 1 slow negative

Hanging leg raises on parallel grips
10, stopping all swings, explosive
10 ditto
7 ditto. shoulders and grip went first.
Then max hanging L to max hanging tuck.

5/6/09

Gymnastics. Only about an hour. Basically lots and lots of handstand attempts and some light tumbling. Made some handstand progress; helps to really lock in active shoulders and mate the arms, back, and leg together. Also kinda interesting trying to jump to a handstand (just jump up and try to stick it). Also: seems I can do a straight-leg back roll now, if I kinda block off the arms, which is neat. Still a bit short on the straight front roll. Left glute sore from stepping down from the handstand...

5/8/09
hot day

BS box (PL)
stretched ITBs, quads
bar
95 widening up stance even more. feet at edge of cage.
210x5 9.79 pretty tough. R knee seemed to get a bit worse. continually stretching ITBs and checking knee tracking btwn sets.
210x5 9.93 LG. vid. looks good to my eye. http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/box_squats_form4_5-8-09.mov
210x5 9.93 tried with thumbs around bar; bad. knees may be going forward a tad.

DB bent-over rows, unsupported, bilateral, ~45 degree grip, DL stance.
15x10 (each). fast.
45x10
60x5
60x5
60x5
60x5. feeling upper back.

Hanging leg raises
allowed swing. tired and sweaty.

Dragon flags, top to top
3 reps. might have been a bit higher on back than usual.

Mucho stretching and rolling -- piriformis, internal/external rotation, quads, etc. Felt good.

5/12/09

Knees feeling pretty good. Wore Vibrams. Feel good and rested.

BS box (PL)
stance wide as possible in cage, pretty short rests.
bar
185 looks good. upright, knees tracking, not too crazy hard.
205x5 9.5
215x5 9.69 pretty good
215x5 9.82 LG a bit. good. dude is waiting to lift so done.
Real nice. Had a bit more probably.

DL
265x3
305x5 9.7 too light, probably. that's okay. borrowed some chalk, and hook grip on this one.

Weighted dips
BWx5
20x5
35x5 ah that's heavier
47.5x3 heavy
60x5 9.8 pretty doable
60x5 9.81
60x5 9.83 then 1 slow negative.

Supported leg raises, elbows on padded stand thing. Explosive, tailbone pivoting slightly off backrest. Lumbar felt the flexion a bit.
10 feelin it

Stretched moderate. Very solid day.

Brandon Oto
05-15-2009, 07:55 PM
5/13/09

Knees feel good. Gymnastics. Lots of HS.

5/15/09

Vibrams. Knees feel good and track okay.

BS box (PL)
bar
215x5 9.89. feeling like I tweaked my left lower back (glute/erector) a bit.
215x5 9.93
215x5 9.93

Weighted dip
BWx5
20x5
35x5 heavy
45x3
65x5 8.89
65x5 9.0
65x5 9.85 LG
65x5 f5 pretty much at bottom
Feeling pretty light, only catches up at late sets

Ice cream makers (from top), three sets, one set of hanging L rolled to skin the cat on Smith machine (had to tuck at top to clear bar). Ice cream makers look okay actually with some swing, although they fatigued.

Brandon Oto
05-20-2009, 12:50 PM
5/19/09

Vibrams.

BS box (PL)
bar
220 9.9
220 9.999 3rd a grinder
205 9.99
Short rests, dude working in. Winded as hell. These 220s were some of the hardest sets I've done and the 205 didn't get much easier. Knocked the shit out of me and saw Buddha. Lower back somewhat tight. Tried looking up instead of forward/down, seemed to help marginally. Knees feel quite fine and tracking well.

Weighted dips
BWx5
20x5
35x5
55x2
70x5 9.1 last rep slowing
70x5 9.3 LG
70x5 9.5 LG
Minimal rest and then
70x3 LG then 1 negative

L-sit to soft failure. Felt it immediately.
L-sit moving through full, tucked, side angles, one leg, straddled, etc. to soft fail. Ouch.
Same again.

Solid stretching, quads, ITBs, rolled piriformis, don't really feel any trigger points in ITBs happily.

Brandon Oto
05-22-2009, 08:28 PM
5/20/09

Gymnastics. This and that, lots of handstand attempts, and a conditioning circuit:
8 elbows-in pushups, 8 elbows-out, 8 diamond, 8 wide grip, all on floor-mounted beam
10 overhand pullups
10 underhand pullups
1 minute two-handed hang
5 "full range ice cream makers" (dunno what these are called -- swinging from top of pullup position to inverted hang and back)
5 more
10 crunches, 10 leg lifts, 10 V-ups, 10 hollow rocks, 10s hollow hold
Same on stomach in arch
5-4-3-2-1 frog jump to pushups
1 minute handstand hold (legs against pbar)

Shucks.

5/21/09

Rest.

5/22/09

Wore Vibrams. Knees feel good. Gym with Oliver and Andre.

BS box (PL)
bar
225 9.94
225 9.99 LG loudest noise I've ever made on last.
225 9.99 LG
Very good. Kicking my ass but I'm kicking back. Feel good and strong. Lower back, abductors, and glutes tight. Rawr.

Weighted dips
BWx5
20x5
40x3
60x2
75x5 9.3 LG a bit
75x5 9.4 fine
75x5 9.45
Minimal rest then
75x3 f3 a bit above bottom
Good. Heavy but totally doable. The DB-in-knees rack is starting to get a little sketchy, may have to switch to waistbelt and plates soon.

Weighted planks
45 ouch
On elbows. To soft failure. Plate on butt and lower back. Interesting sensation, pretty gnarly.

Feeling generally really good and strong. Box squats + dips are a terrific cycle for me and linear progression is like a drug. Knees seem to be improving. Very happy.

Brandon Oto
05-26-2009, 11:32 PM
5/26/09

Ran into Nathan who wanted to start working out, so convinced him to start lifting. Worked him through the basic form stuff for SS, not pushing any weight. He used the bar for squats and presses, and I loaded him DL singles from 65 up to 165 or so. Wobbly but not too bad. Ended up having to hurry to finish my own stuff though.

Also forgot to bring my workou shorts, although had my shirt (loose Under Armour) and underwear. Can't wear jeans in gym and they'd be silly for box squats anyway. So turned UA shirt over, stuck legs in armholes, and cinched top to waist using leather belt. Wearing Vibrams and screaming a lot during squats and instructing Nathan, this was probably the weirdest I've ever looked. Good testament to the impression of scariness I've inculcated that nobody said anything.

BS box (PL)
bar
230 9.9 last 2 grind
230 9.9999 fuck
230 9.9998
Absolutely miserable. Much screaming. Walked out of gym with groin and glutes immediately sore.

Did a few light deadlifts to demo for Nathan

Weighted dips
BWx7
35x5
65x3
80x5 8.8
80x5 9.25
80x5 9.4
Think I'm going a touch less deep than I used to, but definitely still past parallel. Fascinated to see how heavy these end up.

Quick stretch and headed to class.

Brandon Oto
05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
5/27/09

Groin and glutes sore. My god, those squats were like fighting through hell.

Gymnastics. Lots of handstand attempts, some turned-out ring supports, a few shoulderstands on the rings (bad at balancing), and pbars. Put all the recent stuff into a quick routine, vid: http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/gymnastics_pbars_routine_5-28-09.mov looks VERY ugly (bent legs etc.) when it's all chained together, but that'll clean up. Looks like I forgot to hold on L. Aside from that I just need a dismount to have all the element groups -- well, the moy technically isn't an A anymore, so I'd actually have to do it to support rather than elbows for it to count (in which case it'd be a C I think), dunno if that'll happen. Beyond that I should just throw in another non-A skill or two as I think I'm a bit short of the minimum.

Worked also on straddle cuts from front to back -- didn't manage any, but worked on the body positions and swinging into it properly. Spent a lot of time straddled on the pbars and by the end my adductors were agonizing me. Flopped around stretching a bunch and skipped most of conditioning except for a 1min hang and 1min handstand hold. Seriously ongoing pain from adductors and adductors -- a very weird way to be sore (hams, quads, okay, but this feels like I was violated). Those damned squats were absurd!

Knees pretty damned good though.

Brandon Oto
06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
5/30/09

Met Brian D. and Rachel Izzo at Greg E's place. Played at Oly, active recovery for me. Been forever, was ugly.

Bar snatches
65 power
95x3
135x2 vid on second rep
140x1 f forward
140x1
145x1 f very low; got nothing

Jerk practice
95x3
30x6
95x2 better
115x2 coming forward a touch

OHS
95x2
135x1 f
135x1
155x1 f.
LATER NOTE: error, idiot, those plates are 10 POUNDS not kilos. that was 100kg on the bar that you failed with. hmm. for that weight it wasn't a bad attempt.

Split snatches (someone else brought 'em up)
bar
145f
very fun

6/2/09

Nathan showed up towards end of squats, trained him again.

BS box (PL)
135 no box
205x2
235x5 f3 sat down twice then failed partway up. Jiminy. Might have been possible to finish rep but no way on the set.
225x5 9.9 LG bigtime
225x5 9.99 LG. demonic. lower back a little tight.
Shooting hips some. First failure. Will back down and reset.

A few 135lb DLs to demo for Nathan.

Weighted dips
BW
40x3
65x2
85x5 9.0 pretty heavy. feel the elbows a touch
85x5 9.45 switching to a DB attached to belt. weird.
85x5 9.799 switching to plates in belt. better. tough but no real danger of failure. almost lost the 4th when weights moved though.

Lsit doodles, 3 rds.

6/5/09

Quick workout

BS box (PL)
Bar. feeling tight
bar
135 R knee is mistracking some. keep stretching btwn sets.
155x3
185x3 getting heavy
230x5 9.99 L2G
230x5 9.99 L2G groin pretty tight
230x5 9.992
Groin quite tight. some bar tilting. gassing.

Weighted dips
BW
30x5
55x3
90x5 9.7 2 45lb plates in belt
90x5 9.89 tough
90x5 9.93

Lsit doodles, 3 rds, min. rest.

6/9/09

2nd day of a not-bad cold.
Drinking coffee during squats.

BS box (PL)
stretched a bunch first, knees feel tight and tracking not great
bar
why do I always hit the cage on the right side? am I leaning?
205x2 moved box forward some
225x1 feeling the knees just a touch
235x5 9.89 quite tough and seemed like I almost failed (or just lost balance) on 4, but nevertheless didn't really feel too bad; wasn't as gassing as usual. Nice.
235x5 9.98 again almost fell/lost balance on one. Feel like I'm slacking something ever so slightly (shooting hips?) to dodge failure. But, good. Vid: http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/box_squats_form6_6-9-09.mov
235x5 9.998 definitely falling through the last bit of the eccentric. Also definitely hitting right side of rack mainly on last reps... something's tilting? Actually sat down twice on last rep, but managed to get up the second time.
Definitely not sweating as much or as gassed as usual, recovered faster, hence somewhat lower intensity scores. Maybe it's the coffee. But DEFINITELY was flirting with failure for practically every rep; this was a truly borderline workout. Long rests.

Weighted dips
BW
25x5
50x3
75x2 switched to belt
95x5 8.9 little wobbly but good. 2 45s and a 5, stabilized 'em between legs as well as possible.
95x5 8.8 np
95x5 9.0 tried for a 6th and didn't come up.
Roaaaar. Heavy for sure but completely doable.

L in support to hard fail
L in support to tuck, to soft fail
Same again

Copious stretching and rolling of entire legs.

Brandon Oto
06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
6/11/09

Last day gym is open this quarter, and not really recovered enough to make a go at heavy squats, but wanted to run over anyway and hit the 100lb milestone on the dips. Did that.

Played with some deadlifts just to get blood moving and feel that weight, slow and clean. Bunch of reps at 135 and then several sets at 185 of however many, maybe a total of 15-20 reps. Then just for kicks tried a few DL with close stance (felt neat) and sumo (felt funny, tweaked back a touch).

Weighted dips
BWx7
25x5
50x3
70x2 switch to belt
100x5 9.85 two 45s and a 10 on the belt. Tough. But woooooooot.
100x5 9.84 got a poor vid. looks a little short of parallel on a couple, but pretty damned sure I'm not, probably the angle.
100x5 good stuff.

Jammed on outta there.

Chris Salvato
06-14-2009, 07:04 PM
100x3x5 is impressive - nice work man!

What is your bodyweight?

I pushed 95x3x5 as a PR @ 180# or so. Since then I haven't been able to reproduce my results but I think that will happen this Wednesday...then maybe I can do 100x3x5! :D

That aside...nice work!

Brandon Oto
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
BW currently about 175.

These dips have been terrific, for morale if nothing else -- can't remember the last time I had linear progress like this. I'd actually like them to stall out so I can test a 1RM (which I've never had for dips, but looks like it must be pretty solid) and move on to some other stuff (I think the box squats have about stalled at this point). A friend and I are going to be doing some Westside stuff and I really need to start doing a little more metcon.

But this is just a gas... seems to be one of the few lifts I'm really a natural at.

Brandon Oto
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Hit 110 but failed on last rep of last set -- and buddy notes I'm starting to flirt with short depth. The end might be nigh, at least for 3x5. Full logs later.

Oliver Gould
07-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Update your log! You're wasting a golden opportunity to brag about your dip #s. You could be reaching so many more people...

Brandon Oto
07-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Yuk yuk yuk.

6/17/09

New gym; going to Gold's across the street.

BS lowbar
wanted to feel free squats again
bar
95 feels odd, but powerful and fast, and light
135 same business
185 um, piriformis sore?
215x1 pretty heavy, actually
215x5 vid. felt heavy! but looks decent on vid. going deeper than I realize. some knees slide.
215x5 again, heavy. but manageable.
215x5 again, ditto. some favoring of right side and some hip shoot.

Weighted dips
BWx5
25x5
50x3
75x1
105x5
105x5 shaky as shit
105x5 last a motherfucking grinder; true max, thought I'd fail
kinda sketchy, short chain on belt, had to use 4 25s and a 5, narrow-diameter dip handles.

6/18/09

Knees feel good enough to move to front squats, which is truly what I need more than anything (quads most of all, glutes would be good, upper back would be good). Will start very careful and light and keep them perfectly, esp. not letting butt shoot up a ton so it just ends up as another BS-like ham exercise.

FS
bar
95x5 did six or seven sets at this weight, feeling it out

Weighted dips
BWx10
25x3
50x1
75x1
110x5
110x5
110x5 f5
possibly missing depth on a few juuuust barely. sticking point seems to be awfully high -- I guess right around 90 degrees on elbows.

6/29/09

FS
same business, trying to stay upright as possible and cut out hams, no knee pain, nail down form. definite emphasis on knees staying OUT the whole time, and upper back as erect as I can manage.
bar for many reps
65x6
95x5 a touch inconsistent but good, no pain
115x5 pretty good. can't decide how wide to put feet.
135x5 good enough
155x5 okay, so that's getting heavy, a bit of butt shoot (the wrists tell you).
145x5 okay, but still a little butt rise, and the knees sure want to come in.
135x5 okay. toes out pretty far is definitely better, lets me really force those knees out.
feeling the "box squat muscles" quite a bit (abductors), I guess probably because I have them now...

Weighted dips
BWx5 deep
25x5
50x2
75x1
105x5 going deeper than before, for fear of short ROM. hard.
105x5 f3 deep. oof.
105x5 f3. same business.
that durned depth. wish I had a better sense of where parallel is.

Weighted situps
Roman chair, to horizontal
BWx5
25x5 plate on chest. easy.
25x5 plate behind head. hard.
25x5 ditto
25x5 ditto. hip flexors cramping up some.

6/30/09

Sprinted for the first time in forever. Wore FiveFingers -- by necessity. Can't find my regular crosstrainers so all I can run in is these or my spikes. So forefoot striking for sure.

Jogged 400
Drills
Tabata sprints, reversed (10 on, 20 rest). Knocked me the fuck out respiratorily (should've brought inhaler) by third round or so. Did basically 400m, or 5 rounds. Form actually felt quite good, and speed too at very beginning, and didn't notice calves. Collapsed for a while then ran 400 again to finish off, was already revved so that was rough. Stretched and bounced.

7/2/09

FS
much stretching and loosening up.
same business, really keeping it vertical, knees out, back extended
air
bar
bar
65x5
115x2
135x2 feeling heavy
145x2 felt heavy, but good
155x2 felt aight. vid: http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/front_squats_7-2-09.mov
155x2
155x2 heavy. really feels like the force is coming from forcing the knees out, a la the box squat muscles (glutes I guess). they're tight too.
155x2 same business. knees are NOT coming in.
155x2 bit more hip shoot, otherwise ditto. vid: http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/front_squats2_7-2-09.mov

Weighted dips
BWx6 deep
25x5
100x1
125x1 pretty easy
150x1 f failed pretty high up (elbows at 90 I guess) and fell through... SO close. too many plates (6 25s) to stabilize with the legs, so it was swinging a fair bit, maybe just lost balance?
150x1 damn close but got it. psyched up to all hell and pushed through... adrenaline charged for a while after.
100 to failure. got 4 or something and fell through.
BWx7 to max depth and max velocity out, rattled the cage.
BWx1 superslow negative. felt that one.
Went for the max. 150, I like it.

Weighted situps
Roman chair, to horizontal, hollow, plates behind head.
BWx6
25x7 fast as possible. arched out on last 3 reps. hip flexors cramping a little.
25x7 same business. arched on last 3. legs a touch bent.
25x7 same business. finished with one more rep with brief hold at horizontal.

7/3/09

Wanted to run but calves still haven't fully recovered. Rowed instead.
Warmed up 5 mins
Tabata row. Wanted 10/20 but monitor wouldn't let me set less than 20s work, so did 20/20 to compensate. Was a bit too much rest frankly, but a regular Tabata on rowing is fucking apocalyptic if you truly go fast. Ended up settling into 1:40 paces or so, pretty gnarly by the end. No real cooldown, just bounced once I recovered. FEET really hurt... probably from rowing in leather walking shoes.

7/7/09

FS
stretching and loosening up
barx6
barx5 better
95x5
115x3
135x2 hmm... sat down when done and felt shooting pain in left lumbar when I round.
155x2 gotta control those knees, they really want to dive. pretty good.
160x2 heavy but aight.
160x2 aight. left hip a little tweaked?
160x2 real heavy. left hip just behind point did something ugly (strained) at bottom of 2nd rep. flexor I guess.
155x2 aight. didn't feel the left hip during, but it complained after.
stretched some. suicide stretch helped.
155x2 same business.

Weighted dips
BWx5 deep
trying out the bizarre harness I constructed from webbing, cord, duct tape, and carabiners.
25x5 short; plates hit ground
75x5 very short... much swing
125f a little short and way wobbly
fine, back to regular belt
75x6 full depth and slow, to failure
75x1 superslow negative

Pullups
Wide grip, focusing on lats.
just for fun.

Weighted situps
Roman chair, to horiz, hollow, plates behind head, slowish
Bwx7
30x7 arched a bit on last few
30x7 ditto
30x7 arching a little earlier

pretty beat.

7/8/09

Sprints. Wore Vibrams. Jogged 400, form drills, then inverted Tabata. 5 rounds/400 meters, then wanted to do more but seemed to tweak left calf some. Oof. Called it quits.

7/10/09

FS
hip flexors are TIGHT. trying to stretch em out.
air
bar
95x3
135x2 oy damned flexors
165x2 okay. shot some on 2nd rep; let's try and avoid it next time.
165x2 good, no shoot. flexors cramped up after.
165x2 gyaaah flexors. left knee felt a bit.
165x2 same business. pretty good.
165x2 GOOD one.
oof. pretty long rests.

Weighted dips
New scheme is: resetting weight to whatever's necessary and working back up using FULL DEPTH (as deep as possible on the bars I'm using). Otherwise same scheme.
BWx5
25x5
50x5 getting heavy
60x5 have to push a little. about right.
60x5 LG

Weighted situps
kinda pause-resting between reps, not quite continuous.
BWx5
35x7 felt good. tough, but only arched on last. flexors tired!
35x7 arched WAY out on last 2, hurt a little.
35x3 arched out on 3rd and stopped.

7/11/09

Instead of sprinting, went to sword practice, planned to do some sprints at the end. As it happened I did a fair amount of running during, including some all-out sprints, and we ended with ~20 minutes of football, so that worked out well. Wore Vibrams to fight and cleats for football. About 3 hours. Got kinda toasted in the sun.

Pleasantly sore all-around next day, inc. hams for first time in a while. Calves feel pretty good.

7/14/09

hip flexors still sore/tight. this shit is becoming the main limiter on my training/recovery. knees feel kind gnarly.

FS
bar
bar
95x3
135x2 better
155x1
170x2 first weird, second good.
170x2 dang, almost choked myself on the bar
170x2 jeez these feel like damned box squats on my glutes
170x2 having to hype up for these. getting the dizzies after.
170x2 good. vid, but poor angle, can't see much (http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/front_squats_7-14-09.mov). looks generally okay though.
long rests

Weighted dips
deep
BWx5
25x3
65x5
65x5
65x5 LG
good stuff

Bent-over DB rows
25x10
35x10
35x7
35x7
short rests, fast, just threw these in; might keep doing em as a lat thing and because I'm not doing shit for pulling otherwise, plus wake up the hams a little. doing to hang, not from the floor.

Weighted situps
these have been giving me a solid ab and oblique soreness
BWx7
35x7 no arching! but whoops, wrong weight.
40x7 arch on last
40x7 arch on last 2
I may be stopping just a tad short of horizontal on these. don't care either way.

Brandon Oto
07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
7/15/09

Some reasonable soreness of upper back etc, about right.

Sprint day... track with Dan. Wore spikes.

Ran 400, form drills, stretched, then 100m repeats, max-effort down, walk back and go again after maybe hacking up a lung.

Managed 5 rds. Dan was spent, I maybe had one more in me, but stitching up, calves starting to complain, and asthmatic. Rested a bit then jogged another 400.

Had some decent speed, felt like, and the recovery was definitely enough; calves ended up more or less the limiting factor, and those didn't really complain until the last round, although the final 400 made them annoyed.

Brandon Oto
07-20-2009, 06:19 PM
7/17/09

Knees are really feeling beat-up. Kinda worn-down in general, sore throat, hip flexors gnarly, etc. Thought about taking a rest day, then thought about just doing upper-body, then finally settled on regular workout but some easy DLs instead of squats.

Tried a few regular DL and was feeling knees even then, so tried RDLs for the first time.

RDL
135x7ish
155x6ish
155x5
155x5
Took all from floor for first rep and descended to just below knees. Slow down, fast up. Really felt lats bigtime from holding bar in, and felt the hams for sure. I like 'em.

Weighted dips
deep
BWx5
BWx3
25x1
70x5 slowed on last couple
70x5 on nerve
70x5 on nerve. LG a little. kinda unstable.

Weighted situps
BWx5
45x7 jesus. thought: what if I fail? what am I going to do with this huge iron plate behind my head? drop it?
45x4 arched on last 2 and stopped. these are rough.
45x2 arched a little and stopped.

Bent-over DB rows
40x7
40x7
40x7
fast and thinking about elbows

7/18/09

Took the sprint day off and spent most of the weekend doing very little, sleeping a lot, eating cookies, and doing copious icing/stretching/rolling. Tons of tennis ball rolling on glutes and flexors. Usual "rest break" stuff.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Nice work on the dips. Do you have any plans for trying out the bench or shoulder press? Would be interesting to see how all that dip strength translates to those lifts.

Brandon Oto
07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
It would indeed especially as those lifts historically never increase for me ever.

To be honest I'm having such good results with these I'm loath to quit with them; the next obvious time will be once I stall out on this present progression (full ROM 3x5), but as long as I'm still enjoying them I'll probably just move to some other dip protocol then. Low reps maybe.

I might test some presses or whatever if I get a chance, but to be honest I'd be very surprised if they performed well, since even if I'm generally stronger by then, I just haven't been doing those lifts. Bench is probably the most plausible... but whatever.

For me, the ONLY downside to dips is that they're kind of a pain in the ass to set up and arrange (loading plates and whatnot). I'm real glad that I don't have any shoulder trouble with them as I understand that's fairly common.

Brandon Oto
07-28-2009, 11:20 PM
7/20/09

FS
air
barx5 left knee won't let up
barx3
95x2
135x2 FUCK, left knee really bad
155x1 very weird rep... choked self at BOTTOM. gah knee.
experimented a little with foot positions at bw. knee seems worst when I push knees "out' farther than my toe angle. try with toes out more to line it up.
155x1 better
175x2 real heavy but okay, but kneeeee. stopping if this doesn't improve.
175x2 felt better, but afterwards knee gaah
calling it quits.

Weighted dips
deep
BWx5
25x3
50x1
75x5 LG
75x5 LG. on the nerve. first rep real easy.
75x5 LG, and almost lost balance on 4. pretty unstable in hole in general with these; lots of elbow movement etc. last one real tough. on the nerve.

Weighted situps
BWx5
45x7 arched last 3 a bit
45x6 arched on last and stopped
45x5 arched on last and stopped

Bent-over DB rows
20x10
45x7 getting heavy
45x7 ditto
45x7 ditto. feeling lowbar a bit.

7/21/09

Sprints. 100m intervals with walk back. 6rds. Ghetto timed one for ballpark, around 13.88. go go speedy gonzales. pulled right hammy some. calves not too bad.

7/24/09

Brought Oliver along. Rests shorter than normal for that reason.

FS
trying pressing abs OUT to tighten core. seems to help stability out of hole.
bar
bar knees feeling fairly poor. L worse.
115x3
135x1
stretched again
155x1
175x2 slightl/acceptable HS
175x2 same business
175x2 little better
175x2 abs out, helps. knees are ouch.
175x2 better. knees bad though.

Weighted dips
deep
BWx5
25x5
50x1
80x5 unstable but good
80x5 good
80x5 f5 juuuuuuuuuust missed it. on the nerve. right near the top ground to a halt and had to touch down on the step with one toe to pull out (well, I did, felt like I had to). olly mentioned something about not getting quite the very bottom of the depth on the last set so I really deepened it for this one, that may have caused the trouble.

Weighted situps
BWx5
50x6 arched last 2
50x3 arched last 2
50x2
wrong weight - should have done 45 again if I'm working up to 7s. clearly a lot.

Bent-over DB rows
20x7
50x7
50x7
50x7
heavy. very cheaty of course, and getting somewhat more vertical with these; maybe try bending over more so they don't turn into shrugs.

7/27/09

No sprints during weekend, was in Monterey with Natalie. moved her stuff to new place, knees felt it a little, tons of up and down stairs, oddly enough patellae seemed highly mobile afterwards, especially medially (seemed a bit caught laterally) -- weird. tracking mediocre to bad though.

pretty much spent the weekend eating a bunch, lounging around, having lots of sex, sleeping. knees feel quite decent now.

doing lots of icing, trying to make it frequent and regular. knees mainly, calves when they want it from sprinting, and hip flexors when I bother taking off my pants.

FS
air
bar eh
bar better. toes less out.
95x3 narrower still, feels decent
135x2 okay
155x1 L knee really hurt on that
180x2 L knee felt afterwards. heavy.
stretched quads again
180x2 knees not too bad; feeling em but not painful. choking on bar though.
180x2 decent. vid from front.
180x2 knees are bilaterally oof but not sharp painful. LG. vid from back. LOOKS VERY WEIRD -- looks asymmetrical, left knee going way more out than right. trick of the camera angle or no?
180x2 real dizzy. LG. hips shot on second. suspecting there is some kind of optical illusion in here from the squat rack versus the wall/mirror. might cause me to set up wrong.

Weighted dips
deep
BWx5
25x5 DB
50x1 DB bottom to top
80x5 challenging and slowish
80x5 tough! lots of lateral back-and-forth of weighting, particularly seeming to favor the left side.
80x5 f5 fuuuck. close but not super close. lost balance some on 4th rep which made it much harder, that may have contributed to this. also no nerve, trying to cut down.
making sure to get that last bit of bottom depth; let's not get in the irreversible habit of shortening. made it tougher for sure. not really difficult getting out of hole (limiter triceps rather than chest probably), but when I bomb down with the speed I need to bounce out it seems to make stabilizing the whole movement harder so I'm more likely to lose balance and that affects the lift.

Bent-over DB rows
taking a bit more rest now with these
25x5 feeling delts and shoulder stuff. guess I'm not 100% recovered.
55x7 sloppy and cutting top of ROM a tad? (not always hitting chest)
55x7 same business
55x7 same business. getting pretty vertical. let's try and bend over more.

L-hang then tuck hang, less than 20s total. just generally beat. Headed out with no real stretching. Little bit at home. Knees feel pretty good by now, but feel slightly ill.

Insight: At this point I think there may be value in NOT pushing the knees way out -- keeping them tracking, of course, but with the toes more in, so that the whole knee flexion is just more forward. This is based on what seems to feel better now on stairs etc. Knees way out had its time as I was too far in the other direction but by now I think it may have started doing the opposite of what I want; now the prescription may be not too much either way but goldilocks tracking.

7/28/09

Sprints with Dan. jogged 400, stretched, then ran. spikes whole time.

100m intervals in "flying"/strider fashion -- started slow, built up to all-out pace for a few moments around middle, then gradually slowed again. rest 20s then repeat. I did 10 (I think), dan 7. lungs sounded like an accordion. did some barefoot drills after.

liked it; knees had zero trouble, calves minimal, was able to do quite a bit more volume than if we'd run all-out, and it seemed much more forgiving on the joints etc (no pulls, no pains) than bombing out from a dead stop

icing at home, knees feel pretty good

Brandon Oto
10-04-2009, 01:59 PM
8/7/09 (?? date corrupted)

FS
knees feel good on warmup
air
bar
65x5
135x2 L knee kinda sharp after
155x1 bumped R side bar to rail? L knee not great on concentric. trying not to push knees out past feet.
185x2 feet/toes wider. bit better. some hip shoot though. L knee sharp anterior after. dizzy.
175x2 toes out more. bit better. some shoot.
165x2 much better. hmm.
160x2 better yet, imo.
155x2 really reasonable.
stretched, felt great.

Weighted dips
full depth
feels heavy today
BWx5
25x3
50x1
70x5 feels heavy, balance shot sideways on 3.
70x5 much more solid. still, LG.
70x5f5. wtf. usual sticking point. gave up a little early. no nerve.

DB bent-over rows
being good boy about bending over more and pulling to belly. rests just long enough to annotate log.
25x7
50x7
50x7
50x7 really hard

<moved to boston, long break. restarted training at TPS, king of strength gyms. http://www.totalperformancesports.com/>

8/24/09

Lots of playing around and trying the cool equipment that's new to me, plus just general getting-back-into-it

BS low
barx5
135x5 p. explosive. feel the anterior L knee a bit.
155x3 weights slipping left, must be leaning
185x2
185x2 feeling them squat muscles already

Dips
BW assorted sets to soft fail

GHR
3, long break (chatting) then 3. tough.

Reverse hyper
2 sets unweighted to soft fail

8/26/09

DL
loosened up
95x6
135x4 feels fine
185x2 easy
237x2 getting heavier
275x1 easy
315x1 grip starting to notice
335x1 hook grip. ouch.
355x1 mixed, no hook. that was a heavy, close one, but no real fatigue, no pain, no wind.
355x1 mixed opposite way. felt easier but a bit lopsided.
355x1 mixed opposite way. back rounded fair bit.
NO knee trouble, no scrapes, back FINE.

Pullups
DH, short rests, to chest
BWx10 overhand, chalk
BWx8 underhand, chalk
BWx4 parallel grip
BWx4 overhand

Sled drag, strap around shoulders
25x1 down and back... 85 ft each way?
90x5 wow, gassy. wearing walking shoes bc my trainers disappeared during move. flat-foot push.

GHR
adjusted pad
5, bottom to bottom
5, ditto

GHD situps
25x10, plate on chest
25x7 plate behind head
all easy

8/28/09

BS high
air feel good!!
barx5
95x5
135x4 feel great! a little heavy, but knees still 100%. time off really helped me.
155x2 np
185x3 oof, really built up on me. no pain but feeling R hip flexor.
185x2 not too bad on flexors, knees still 100%
185x2

GHR
moved in pad
moved in pad
3 ouch!
3 slow and knees staying on pad; damn, gnarly.

Blast-strap pushups
feet on box, to soft fail, nose to ground, arms sliding on straps fair bit
8?
7 bumped nose, oof
4 handles turned-out, slow

Reverse hyper
3 or 4 with 50lb from someone else's workout, hmm.
0x7
0x7. feeling lumbar.

Prowler
pushing from low handles
down and back, no weight
50lb, slipping, nasty
no weight
no weight
no weight
DEVASTATING, holy crap

8/31/09

Oops, gym closes early. Swung KB a bunch at home.

9/1/09

knees fiiiine. glutes a tad sore from kb swings ayer.

stretched

BS box PL.
trying chains
air
bar
95 + med. chains x3. interesting.
115 + med. chains x3. bit awkward.
125 + med. chains x3. better.
ditto x 3 ditto
ditto x 3 ditto
ditto x 3 ditto
ditto x 3 ditto

Blast-strap pushups, feet on bench
5, turned out, full ROM
ditto
ditto
ditto

GHR
2 holes visible
3, knees on edge. some piking.
moved to 3 holes visible
3, back one notch but knees still immobile. good ones, calf burn.

Ab rollouts
standing, full eccentric (falling last bit), then concentric from knees
3. wheel a bit sticky.

Shouldered 50lb sandbag 10 times.

9/3/09

BS box PL
trying bands
bar
bar+greens, 2 pegs
bar+greens
135 greens
155x2 greens. slowing a little.
155x2 greens. rests are short.
155x2 greens
155x2 greens tough. out of breath?
155x2

Pullups
6 wide grip, palms out, lat emphasis
6 normal, palms in
4 wide, out, lats
4 normal, in
3 wide, out, lats

Hanging L-doodles, brief

Prowler
maybe 5 trips, only 1 or 2 with weight, later ones walking. oof.

9/5/09

went with oliver, playing

TGU
25 both
45 both
bar seems safer at this point
45 bar both
65 bar both
85R bar
not trying that with left

GHR
5 knees at edge, nasty
3 same

1 failed bar MU (no goose grip), oops
1 bar MU with grip. harder than I recall.

<Beginning Westside template. seems appropriate.>

9/8/09 (? date corrupted)

ME SQ

BS low, free, WL shoes
loosen and stretch
barx8 feels decent, knees 100%
barx5 left side lagging
135x3
185x2
205x1 vid, depth fine
225x1 grinding a bit
245x1 cut it a little higher, felt the grind
255x1 heavy! but good form, not doing my old GM shoot.
265x1 funky! butt moving up and down and all around. big leftward bar lean.
255x1 griiiind okay that was close. still, no real butt shoot except at very bottom. L knee glowed for a sec.

GHR
knees at edge, immobile, 3 holes. horiz to horiz, far amount of pike, butt to heels, few breaths btwn reps.
8 feel it!
4 LG. debated another but didn't.

GHD situps
to horizontal, plate on chest, pretty explosive
10x9 feeling legs
20x9 legs a bit bent, might need to adjust this. feel adductors for sure. leaning back a bit.
25x9 really felt those flexors

Reverse hyper
0x10 explosive, swinging. easy. full ROM.
20x10 feeling it some. trying to control eccentric just a bit, but not slow.
40x10 p challenging, not very much on eccentric.

9/10

ME BENCH
middle fingers on rings
bar
bar
95x3
135x2
155x1 slowing for sure
185x1 heavy
195x1
205x1 bar pushing back.
205x1 better. squeezing hands hard. some bounce at chest.
205x1 hard to judge weight...
205x1 aight. same business -- tough sticking point, but easy rest of ROM.

Pullups
wide, lat emphasis, pronated, DH, short rests, stopping before failure

DB standing press
15x10
35x10 kinda challenging
35x8 kinda failed at lockout on last
30x7
25x7

Sled pulls
50x2
100x5
100x5 walking backwards

9/14/09

(last week got cut in half due to scheduling; this is first full WSB week)

ME SQ

BS low, free, WL shoes
bar
bar
135x5
225x2 eh
225x2 better
235x1
245x1 deeper, but L knee keeps diving
255x1 hard. stance somewhat wider. oliver keeps wanting to widen it.
265x1 oliver says I'm 1" high?
265x1f went WIDE. fucking with the stance screwed things up, balance went forward at bottom.
knees really want to dive. really hurried through this to finish before closing, didn't take enough warmups at all, never found groove.

no rest, running through this stuff

GHR
2f3 oww
2f3

Reverse hyper
deep
0x10
20x10
50x10
50x10

9/16/09

ME BENCH
middle fingers on rings
barx5
barx5
135x4
155x2 good
175x1
195x1 good stuff
205x1 p solid. elbows flaring.
215x1 LG. left side rose faster. a max. elbows flaring.
205x1 aight. elbows flaring.
205x1 aight. elbows flaring.

Pullups
wide, lats, pronated, DH, short rests

DB standing press
15xbunch
25x10
25x10
25x10
25x10 bringing it lower at bottom (forward some)
25x7

Tri cable pushdowns
30x10
40x10
40x10
40x10
40x6f7

Tire flips
350 for a few, then 450. learning technique from murph and steve. rubbed shoulders WAY raw (sleeveless shirt).

9/18/09

DE SQ
box, wide. 2 plates on small box.
bar
bar
bar
bar
95x2 good
95x2 good
155x1 good
(1 min rest btwn)
135x2 good
135x2 good
135x2 aight
135x2 aight
135x2 better
135x2 solid
135x2 good
135x2 aight
135x2 eh
135x2 good
shoulders sore, sweaty. kinda winding.

GHR
no shoes (vibrams), so moved pad to 2 holes
4 full range
4 horiz to horiz. much harder.
2f3 failed at top
2 gutted through second with big pike

Reverse hyper
0x10 feels good
20x10
50x10
50x10
50x10 that one got me

Murph and guys were playing with grippers; went over and had a try btwn sets. Closed #1 without too much trouble, #2 is about 1-2mm from closure on right hand, EXTREMELY frustrating. left hand significantly weaker, surprisingly. may be fair amount of technique to figure out. can see the appeal.

Dragon flags
on floor; didn't like it much that way
2 + 1 neg. back feels eh.
1 + 1 neg.

9/20/09

DE BENCH
middle on rings, pause at chest
barx3
barx3
65x3
95x3
115x1
(1 min rests)
115x3x10
3rd reps were always a bit slower

Pullups
wide, lats, pronated, DH
5 craning it up
4f5
4f5

DB standing press
15x10
30x10
30x7 failure is always at lockout (tris)
30x6
30x5
30x5
30x5

Tricep cable pushdowns
5-second eccentric
30x5
40x10
40x5
40x4f5

Prowler
7 trips, no weight, running out with low, walking back with high.

9/21/09

no good breakfast, just a couple apples

ME SQ

BS
low, free, WL shoes
bar
bar
135x4
155x3 good
175x2
195x1
215x1 getting good ham bounce; hope depth is okay
235x1
255x1 *oof*. LG bigtime. aneurysm status.
255x1 same. leaning left for sure. blood hot pain in brow.
255x1f just tooo much this time.

GHR
3 holes, horiz to horiz, 2nd notch from top
position feels weird, too far from feet
3f4
2 LG moved up to 2 holes, still feels like a bitch.
2f3 LG
1f2

Reverse hyper
0x10
20x10 slight control on eccentric
50x10 ditto
60x10
60x10
back felt tight after

Ab wheel
standing, eccentric only, SLOW, falling last bit
2 reps, abs bigtime sore already (probably from flags last time)

9/23/09

ME BENCH
middle fingers on rings
bar
95x3
135x3
155x1
185x1
205x1
205x1 flaring much
205x1 big flare
the question is: how much do I let my elbows flare and bar come backwards? big difference in the amnt of weight I can move depending if I allow this or try to stay tight and low. no real impingement trouble ever. wonder if this means my shoulders are stronger than chest? (probably true)

Blast-strap pushups
feet on box level
12?
9f10
4f5
3f4

Chest-supported 45-degree machine rows
hands pronated, fast up, slowish down
0x10
45x10
45x10 on last 2, shortened the top a bit
45x10 cheating some on last few
45x7
45x6f7

9/25/09

DE SQ

BS box, wide. small box + 2 plates.
air
bar
barx3
65x3
85x2 good!
115x2 good
135x1
135x2
135x2
135x2 good speed so far!
135x2 helps to descend a little faster
135x2
135x2 titch slower
135x2 little sloppier
135x2 better
135x2
135x2

GHD 2 holes, vibrams, horiz
3f4 slower negatives, hardish-soft fail
2f3 hard fail. ouch, mein calves.
1f2 same business
1 + 3 negs
1 + 2 negs

Prowler
had to do this before end as they don't like you doing it right at closing.
7 fast round-trips, no weight, no rest except btwn 2 and 3 due to passing car. then 3 roundtrips with reverse one-arm pull, walking.

Reverse hyper

0x10 feel the lumbar already
20x10 some eccentric control
60x10
60x10
60x10 winded
60x10 tough. back tight now.

9/27/09

DE BENCH
puked last night for no reason, but feels great now
bar
95x3
115x1
(1 min rest)
115x3x10
good stuff

Blast-strap pushups
feet on box, full ROM
4f5
4f5
4f5
3f4

pronated grip, fast up, slow down, dead stop
0x10
15x10
25x15 soft fail
25x12 soft fail. biceps are mostly what's getting me.
25x11 ditto
25x10 ditto

<was forced to miss monday due to late shift at work, then decided to kill wed. as well and make it a deload week, just do the DE days. ME was struggling anyway.>

10/2/09

went with oliver

finally have some protein again. also on Vit D. fresh out of fish oil though.

DE SQ

BS
low, free, WL shoes
bar
bar feels fine
95x2 good
135x1
(1 min rests)
135x2x10
p good, slowed a little towards end

GHR
did it oliver's way, with feet lower. significantly easier, no resistance at end of ROM.
4?
then 2 my way
1 super piked at 1 hole (very hard)
1 more oliver's way, clean

Reverse hyper
0x10
20x10
50x10
70x10 not much eccentric, but feeling it!
70x10 think it's that stretch at the end of ROM at the bottom that does it...
70x10 really winding too, mb cause chest is compressed
70x10

Ab wheel
5 eccentrics, standing, falling last bit, sloww. greatly improved, control much lower.

10/4/09

DE BENCH
middle finger on rings
barx5
barx3
95x3
135x oops, wrong weight
115x1
(1 min rests)
115x3x10
wobbly on first couple. much head pressure. Q: how to keep arch and retracted scapula btwn reps? no problem setting it up for first, but after the first time I blast it up, my shoulders come forward and then what?

Blast-strap pushups
feet on box, pause at bottom on most reps, elbows tucked
4f5

pronated grip, fast up, very slow down, dead stop
0x10
30x10
30x10
30x10
30x10
30x10
30x10 shortening ROM just a titch at top

Brandon Oto
11-21-2009, 04:48 PM
The latest. For tl;dr crowd: sorted out form on bench and press, so banged out a 230 close-grip bench and 150 press, both PRs. Work and life in general makes things tough, but I really like bands and some of the other stuff we've been playing with.

10/5/09

ME DL
after work

DL
185x4
275x1
325x1
345x1
365x1 mixed grip. felt lopsided.
375x1 much rounding
381x1f big round... maybe (probably?) could've fought it out, but would've paid
365x1 muuuch rounding. ah well. mixed grip. back just a titch tight.
so: a little less than 20lb off old PR, and back definitely the weak spot. not too bad.

GHR
wearing boots. had to use other machine. 1 hole, think it was too close though.
3?
1f2+2 negs
1f+2 negs

Reverse hyper
10x10
20x10
90x10 big swings; top rom a bit abbreviated cause of boots
90x10
90x10

Ab wheel
5 standing negatives. not as good as last time; noticing the sore by 2nd rep. head tight...

10/8/09

ME BENCH

Close-grip bench
middle fingers on inner edge of knurl

bar
bar
95x5 feels very good actually, though you gotta keep lateral bar stability
135x3
155x2
175x1 getting a tri pump
185x1 wobbly
195x1 think elbows are flaring some, relatively speaking
205x1f felt aight and just didn't go at about halfway up. maybe could've ground it out with worse form, but why. a good fail.
200x1 good. got more bounce, that helped.
200x1 hmm. took some weird flaring, felt it sort of in anterior delts.

JM press
with safety bar
bunch of experimental reps. guy told me bars point toward feet, which helped. kind of getting it but weird.
95x6 tough
95x6
95x7
95x7
95x5 tough
R side lags

Lateral DB raise, straight arms
10x10 to a Y
20X4 to horiz, cheating
15x10, 6 to Y and 4 to horiz
15x9f10 to horiz

Kroc rows
25x10
35x10
45x10
45x10
really taxing... prolly bc you gotta do both sides, so 2x the work, esp on lower back
45x10 cheating last few

10/10/09

Extra day -- conditioning
shifting schedule over a day due to work. would be either DE bench or DE squat but decided to just make it conditioning.

stretched briefly. feel okay. joints good. pushed prowler, unweighted, high bars, for ~5 mins in figure 8 (continuous)
then 225x5 slow, plodding trips, walking and dragging from shoulder yoke, stumbling around, lower back and arches feeling it.
then 3 walks pulling it backwards, 2 of them with straps in hands... maybe 4 total

10/11/09

ME DL

DL
badly hungover. also a little sore from yesterday.
bar
135x5 lumbar saying "hmm"
185x3
225x2
275x1 really feeling crummy
315x1
335x1 mixed grip. heavy. seemed to turn in direction of pronated hand.
360x1 lower back is the definite weakness. sig rounding.
370x1f mixed. no juice. gave it up barely off the ground.
360x1 mixed. quite a bit of rounding. no pain.
sometimes you get the bear. sometimes the bear gets you.

45-degree back extension
pad at lowest setting, full ROM at bottom
0x20
0x17
0x18
longer rest here while chatting with matt rhodes
0x21

boogied out

10/13/09

ME BENCH

Close-grip bench
bar
bar
95x4
135x2
155x1
185x1 flaring a bit
205x1f lost it might have just floated off balance, not sure.
195x1 good. good bar path, smooth, didn't deviate up or down
195x1 hmm, bounced a little more, and one side slid a titch with the legs. hands a thumb wider by matt's recommendation

DB bench
20x10
30x10
40x10
tucking, slow down, pause on some, bottom to bottom
40x10
40x10
40x10
40x10

Kroc rows
20x10
40x10
50x10 shorting a bit at the top
50x10
50x10
elbow right at side. winding. left hander. some very reasonable torso sway.

10/17/09

DE bench

Close-grip bench, with bands
bar
bar
bar + purple minis, 3 holes btwn them, regular doubled with adjacent pegs
95x4
105x1
105x3x10 1 min rests. last three were fairly tough with 3rd much slower.

DB bench
usual business
25x10 ha ha, tons of power due to the DE
50x10 came down sloppy, sharp twang in R lat
Kroc 50x10LR, full hang and squeeze
DB bench 50x10 tough. grip starting to feel it.
Kroc 60x10LR harder on R. really winding.
DB bench 50x10 really gnarly. chest, grip, wind.
Kroc 60x10LR ugh. metconny. low back.
DB bench 50x10 ugh.

supersetted these to save time. I like it.

10/18/09

ME DL

legs unusually sore from doing a bit of foam rolling last night

DL
wearing vibrams. loosened up, fast treadmill walk a few mins
95x10 or so, various grips
185x3 good
235x2 good
275x1
325x1
245x1 fine. but it's noticeably the lower back.
365x1 not too bad! hook only. thumbs hurt.
381x1 good! hook only! allowed myself some nerve. a heavy weight, but doable. big head rush (noise occlusion) afterwards, and back of neck a bit tight. thumbs not bad. don't think I hooked this heavy without mix even back in the day.
365x1 fair amount of rounding, neck again, thumbs, no nerve.

GHR
2 holes, top position
3, bottom to bottom, slooooow eccentric. knees clicking and quads sore.

Ab wheel
3 negatives, standing. FULL control on first rep, all the way to floor. definite improvement.
GHR 2+1 neg. sloooow.
Ab wheel 3 negs. 1st was 95% control, others less.
GHR 1f2+1.
Ab wheel 3 negs, lotsa falling.

supersetted.

45-degree back extension
2 holes, near bottom
0x10
10x11 weight at chest
20x11
35x11 35lb plate, so lower center of mass
35x11 back tight. feeling those glutes flex.
35x11 real tight

foam rolling some, and basic stretches. quads sore! also met steve cotter...

10/20/09

ME BENCH
rushed for time

Close-grip bench
bar
95x7? feels good, solid, explosive
135x2
155x1 all explosive so far.
185x1
205x1 good! brought superior just a hair mb -- mb just in spirit -- but basically solid. huge chest.
205x1 same business, even more solid mb (no upward slide). good one. butt kissing the bench on and off, weight really on feet.
205x1 same business

DB bench and Kroc rows
Bench 25x10
Kroc 25x10LR
Bench 55x10
Kroc 65x10LR
Bench 55x10
Kroc 65x10LR really fell apart by R
Bench 55x10 jesus, near fail
Kroc 5x10LR fuuuck. grip, wind, lower back.
Bench 55x8 had to stop for safety. also grip.

10/22/09

DE DL

in vibrams for full workout

DL, dynamic
with oliver. red minis quadded with pegs farthest apart.
bar
135x3
185x2
205x1 ok
205x2x17 basically 30 second rests (little bit more), just trading off. felt not very heavy at top. did more sets than normal cause felt fine.

GHR and Ab wheel
wonderfully slow negatives
GHR 3f4+1. could've made it on 4 but quite close and oliver interrupted me.
Ab wheel 3 regs. outstanding control al the way down on 1st, then linear, steady worsening
GHR 2f3+1
Ab wheel 3
GHR 2+2
Ab wheel 3
bigtime head pressure today

45-degree back extension
2 holes, 2nd position from bottom. up through full arched hyperextension at top.
0xwhatever
10x11 weight on chest
45x11
45x11
45x11 there's that lumbar tightness
45x11 oof
45x11

10/24/09

DE BENCH

Close-grip bench
touching to top of abs by matt's recommendation
bar
purple minis are broken :( used red minis, pegs farthest apart, looped 3 times then with one of the loops around bar
bar
65x5ish
95x4 hmm. hefty.
105x1 I can deal
105x3x10 slowed a little in later sets
smooth and consistent, definitely slower than previous band sets
took bands off and worked up to max single
155x1
185x1
211x1 flared up some, but solid. a TAD tachy afterward, so some nerve must have snuck in.

DB bench and Kroc
really didn't want to do these... made it quick
Bench 30x10
Kroc 30x10 don't feel very strong
Bench 60x10 very heavy
Kroc 70x10LR
Bench 60x8 stopped for safety. LG.
Kroc 70x10LR biceps giving out on L
Bench 60x6?f at 6 or 7. dumped it.
Kroc 70x10LR really fell apart on L

10/25/09

ME SQ
upper body still sore, hams some. ate nothing today but 1 apple, eggs and coffee. wearing WL shoes full workout.

BS highbar, free, pretty narrow with knees flared. actually really really narrow, seemed like the only way to really ensure knees stayed out vis a vis flexibility. FULL depth, hams touching calves.
bar
135x5 felt fine on knees, but actually really pretty heavy
155x3 kind of some odd medial R pain, around where that bruise was, inferior to tuberosity.
185x2 umm. kinda had to grind those out. wow.
205x1 heavy. doable I guess. R adductor said hmm. knees fine.
225x1f wtf. for what it's worth, not really shooting hips at all, staying upright and quaddy. but wow, that's sad.
205x1 p heavy. sigh. feeling hip flexors some. probably could've done 215 for one.
205x1 hips came up a little in the controlled way I'm doing nowadays. man my feet are close.
205x1 glutes for sure are getting this action

GHR and Ab wheel
really slow negs
GHR 3. shoes seem to help with ham contraction.
Ab wheel 3. nothing too special; kinda tuckered out.
GHR 2f3+1
Ab wheel 3 meh
GHR 1f2+2 kinda felt off on 2
Ab wheel 3 feh.

45-degree back extension
2 holes, 1st from bottom
0x11 feel hams and glutes
20x11
50x11 2 25's on chest
50x11 oof back. that squeeze at the top really does the erectors.
50x11 lumbar and glutes.
50x11 way tight
50x11 those old angry erectors...

10/27/09

ME BENCH
wearing boots whole workout. came from work.

Close-grip bench
hands one space from knurling. legs still sore from last time. decided to push close-grip this extra day cause felt good.
pushups, stretched, barx16
feel the chest a bit... a little tight
bar
95x3
135x2
155x1 shit, feels a little heavy
185x1
215x1 good!
220x1 flaring up some, but not the extreme shit I had in wide grip. butt staying down.
225x1 some flare. but beat old wide grip PR!
230x1 quite a bit of flare, felt pain/strain in front of delts, but there it goes! all-time bench PR..... and in close grip. redded out, a true max.

Dips
wider than I'm used to; not a great rack. hands canted in a little. oh well. FULL depth, upright.
a few to warm up. hmm, feels gnarly. bench took it out of me.
0x9 feeling em in odd places
0x7.5 soft fail
pretty short rests
0x6.75 ditto
0x6.5
0x5.5

Seated cable row
full rom, close parallel grip, back about vertical and motionless
30x11
50x11
70x11
90x11
110x11 shorting rom a bit
100x11 ditto
100x11 ditto. oof biceps.

10/31/09

DE SQ
missed a day, so rearranged

walked 40 mins on treadmill, vibrams, some incline, fairly mellow. felt nice.
stretched well

BS, highbar, close, deep. green bands with normal loop-through. one of em is definitely older and weaker, took some fiddling to balance em, and both slacked at very bottom.
95x2 feels heavy. hard to finish. fine though... feels odd but I'll use it
1 min rest btwn...
95x2
95x2 hip flexors already apparent
95x2 power decent
95x2
95x2
95x2
95x2 chafing upper back. most power is at very top...
95x2 flexors! oof.
95x2 starting to grind
95x2 lower back feeling it; bands wanna pull me over
stretched hip flexors (oww) and adductors. sweaty! that's it for me.

11/03/09

ME press
got off work, stretched p good... haven't eaten a speck since breakfast. no get-up-and-go today.

OHP
barx8ish. feels eh.
barx5 fast. feels better.
55x3
65x1
75x1
85x1
95x1
105x1 R wrist bugging me
125x1 awfully heavy. sigh.
135x1 a little more solid, but heavy.
140x1f buhh. tried to use bigger back. felt like a brick.
135x1f lame. L side rising faster quite early.
115x3 out of annoyance. p smooth but yeah, heavy. might have failed on next, or grinder at least.

Dips
wideish, p upright, pause at bottom
0x7 feels better than last time but bottom position still gnarly. short rests. REALLY want to rise unevenly.
0x7
0x7
0x5.5
0x4.5 feel chest at bottom. leaning forward a bit in hole.
0x4.5
0x3.5
0x3.75
should stretch chest more. kinda feeling upper back. the wider grip with these seems to really hit my chest at paused bottom.

Seated cable rows
fat handles, cause that's what was attached. bit less ROM due to that I think, handles get in the way.
50x11
80x11
110x11
110x11
110x11
110x11 just starting to short the ROM by last few
110x11 shorting last few. biceps are lit up.

11/05/09

DE SQ

walked 40 mins on treadmill, vibrams, elevation 3.5, speed 4.8, distance 2.48, with good posture whole time. took some worke. stretched a bit after.

DE BS high, free, red minis quadded, adjacent pegs, close feet, flared toes, WL shoes, full rom.
bar
55x4
65x3 man, flexors really feeling beat up. good otherwise.
95x2 it'll do. second felt aight in a somewhat wider stance, may try that out.
95x2x10 1 min rests. wider stance seems fine.
oof flexors. zero knee pain, though I think there was a touch of wobble coming out of the hole, especially L knee.

GHR and Ab wheel, Wl shoes, nice fully controlled negs
GHR 4 real solid, but where did this soreness in my ham bellies come from?
Ab wheel 3 negs, 1st pretty good
GHR 2
Ab wheel 3 meh
Cutting this short before I beat myself up too much

45-degree back extension
2 holes, 1 from bottom, squeeze at top
0x11
20x11
60x11 DB at neck. hard! squeeze tough to do.
60x11 oof.
60x11 ah jeez. glutes and even hams tiring out.
60x11 erectors unnnh.
I'd better stop.

11/07/09

DE press
feel a touch nauseous... just ate a bunch before

DE OHP
red minis, regular looped around rails in hole 2 of leftmost rack.
bar
bar
bar
55x3
65x3x10 on the minute
took off bands and worked up to a single
85x1 flew up
105x1
125x1
140x1f didn't get too far with that
felt lumbar some during the DE...

Dips
0x5
25x6
25x4
25x5.5
25x4.5
25x3.5

Seated cable rows (fat handles)
60x11
120x11
120x11
120x11
120x11
120x11

not exactly the hardest I've gone on assistance.

11/08/09

ME SQ

BS highbar, reasonable width and toe, WL shoes
bar
bar feeling decent. adductors and flexors sore, but knees fine.
bar
95x4 good, smooth
135x4 ah yes, there goes the knees trying to move and the hips jumping in both ways
155x2 oof flexors
185x1 not sure about knees on that one; may have had L dip
205x1 L dip. flexxxxxxors.
215x1 groooouuund through sticking point.
215x1 grind. vid.
215x1 true max. world fuzzed out. low back felt that one.

RDLs
wore vibrams. went to a bit past top of knees.
barx11
95x11
135x11 p easy
185x11 grip and lats
185x11 used straps for first time. getting some more ham into it by pushing hips back more; easy to get "lazy" and kinda squat down instead
205x11 lumbar complaining a little. stability generaly degrading. weight still not really all thatm uch though.
205x11 bit more solid. upper back is talking. k, we're done here.

couple extra slow ab wheel negs.

stretched flexors and shoulders a bit

11/10/09

ME press
off work, tuckered out, work clothes, not much time.
bar
bar
65x5
75x3
85x3
95x3
105x2
115x2
125x2 slowed
135x1 not bad at all
140x1 got it! slowed a bit and wanted to go lopsided at top of head, but no problem.
145x1 got it! had to work, but got it past the head, got through and ground out. tough but not madness. doubt could do more though.
150x1f some nerve. damn close. pretty much got past the head but couldn't quite finish it. 1 or 2 lb less would be np.

12.5 wide, paused dips. almost no rest and then
3.5. bit of rest and then
26 super-wide sky pulls
16 sky pulls
8 sky pulls. grip.

11/12/09

DE SQ

treadmill walk, vibrams, incline 3, 2.5 miles, speed ~4, 40 mins.

DE BS, highbar, moderate width, toed way out, WL shoes, quadded red minis on adjacent pegs
bar
bar+bands
65x4
95x2
95x2 knees seem to have some movement, mainly L
95x2x10 1 min rests. flexors bugging as usual. L knee woke up a bit and twinged. moved feet in with a bit more flare.
knees feel fine. very sweaty and kinda beat.

RDLs
vibrams. took it from low rack, so really +1 more rep each set.
barx11 feels pretty good
135x11 squeeing glutes really makes it pop
185x11 R scapula, medial, about level to bottom of armput, tweaky.
205x11 pretty good but that spot is rebound tweaky.
215x11 solid. spot swhining but no worse, grip challenged.
215x11 grip is tough, low back getting its licks in. just banged it out.

<basically missed a week here, 14-19, due to some stuff involving a girl. who lives in maryland. god damn it fuck shit.>

11/19/09

DE DL

DE trapbar DL
135xa bunch. trying it out.
185x3 trying belt for first time. did in rack, bar barely fit. red minis looped regularly, 2 holes between pegs. standing on 5 mats for deficit. vibrams.
185x2 guessed at weight cause haven't done a max.
185x2x12 on the minute. not really that difficult, not too winded or hurting, but felt VERY powerful and athletic, a real natural movement with a ton of pop at the top. knees 100%. try in oly shoes next time? more knee gamble but would be more quad. requires some thought to make sure you sit down into it rather than leaning over if you want the quad action. possible could've used more weight, no real challenge getting it up, but the speed felt nice.

GHR
vibrams, 2 holes, top position
4 really good reps, LG
3 LG
11 GHD situps to stretched horizontal position, just because
GHR 1f2+1 then 11 back raises
11 GHR situps, 11 back raises, with 3 one-legged back raises on each side.
just messing around.

11/22/09

DE press

DE OHP
played with the measurements. red minis, regular looped, around one of the power pegs. one band is coming apart so L side had a little less resistance.
barx3
barx3
65x3
75x1
75x3x10 wobbling a bit through sticking point. this was probably touch heavy and by the end was rising a little unevenly (favoring left) and was fatigued. wrists felt it a little.
took bands off and worked up
95x1 almost threw it
115x1 surplus power at the top
135x1 not bad
150x1 ground pretty good through sticking point, but not apocalyptic. yeah! all-time PR by a couple pounds.

BB rows
from floor. fiddling with form, haven't done in forever and never wth correct technique (tucked elbows)
135x11
135x11 with chest up more. seemed to put especial pressure on feet/knees and seemed to tweak left knee
135 kept feeling knee when tried to set up, pretty sharp, pulled-ish pain in medial L knee, distal to joint. okay, stopping.

1-DB standing press
35x10RL
45x6RL
45x6RL with pretty big lean
45x6Rf5L5.
45x6Rf5L5.
45x6Rf4L4.
I like em. fiddling with different positions and angles. feel the obliuques some. trying these on recommendation from power and bulk.

Brandon Oto
11-28-2009, 03:30 PM
After trying to press 155 last week and experiencing the most heartbreaking failure of all time, I went after it again today following my dynamic presses and ground it out. Glee!

http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/press_155_11-28-09.mov

Okay, the lockout is ridiculous. But hey. There ya go. Improved form, DE with bands, and one-arm DB presses seem to do good things for me.

edit: full logs at some later date, transcribing these things is way boring

John Filippini
11-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Beast press. I especially like the use of what sounds like inspiring 80s music in the background.

Brandon Oto
11-28-2009, 08:45 PM
This gym does not fuck around.

Brandon Oto
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Benched 235 without too much trouble.

Yeah yeah, logs will come in a batch as usual.

Brandon Oto
01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Close-grip benched 260.

Hmmm. Pause benches (last cycle) really did good things for me.

Brandon Oto
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Pulled 405. I'll get those logs up one of these days.

Brandon Oto
02-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Pressed 165. Grins. Sticking-point isometrics for the win.

edit: http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/press_165_2-13-10.mov

Brandon Oto
06-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Finally transcribing last few months. More to come.

11/24/09 ME PRESS

will be missing training on thanksgiving due to work...

came in after work

OHP
bar a bunch
bar a bunch
65x5
65x5 belt on
75x3
85x3
95x3
115x3
125x2 2nd slowed a bunch
135x1 ground a tad
140x1 fucked with all the plates out of superstition. felt aight.
155x1f aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh so goddamned close. on nerve. got to top of head and it turned into a war. grunting, moving, stayed many seconds motionless with a real but fleeting chance, finally gave it up and swore extremely loudly. closest I've ever been to a PR without getting it. mid-back (erectors) feel kinda strained after.

GHR 2 holes, top, wearing boots
4 LG
1-DB press
25x6 RL chest cocked back a bit, like a KB rack
35x5 RL
GHR 2f3+1 slow
1-DB press 45x5RL 50x5RL L is harder
GHR 1f2+1
1-DB press 50x5RL 50x5RL

Hanging leg raises and doodling, with straps, and boots. 1 set.

tired, bleh.

11/28/09 DE PRESS

missed a day due to thanksgiving. also... running out of food.

treadmill walk, 40 mins, 4.5 incline, pace 4.0, distance 2.62. vibrams. heels kinda worn.

DE PRESS thin bar
bar
bar+ red minis, circled around peg in power rack
bar
55x4
65x3
on the minute:
65x3
65x3
65x3
65x3
65x3
65x3
65x3
65x3
65x3
65x3
pretty good
bands off:
85x3
105x2 yeah, these are flying around, but they do have some weight
115x1
125x1 good, smooth reps
135x1 slower, a bit uneven
155x1 YEAH FUCK YOU ALL. utterly uneven lockout. on nerve. vid. felt it a little in the abs/back after.

BB rows, from hang
95x3
115x11
145x11 bueno
145x11 getting tough
145x11 cheating it some
145x11 tough. good shit.
feeling mightily strong and snappy afterwards

1DB press, deadstop
20x11RL
55x5RL bit easier and can start it deeper if rotate parallel in start position, then turn out on way up
55x5RL
55x5RL
55x5RLf5 really feels like the motion starts not with the triceps at all but something else (shoulders?)

11/29/09 ME SQUAT

Trapbar DL, WL shoes, no deficit
warmup. feel good.
bar feel quite solid
135x5 feeling lumbar turn on a bit
185x4 hmm. lumbar.
205x2 make sure you don't jerk it...
225x1
275x1
295x1
315x1 hmm. really heavy. didn't move at first. no back exacerbation.
325x1 certainly becoming somewhat mere posterior. hmm. back did a bit of a throbbing thing after.
back really si complaining now. debated continuing but better not. legs do like these though.

Ab pulldowns, legs against support, big belly
25x9
45x8
65x10
85x7 barely doable
70x10 there ya go. really toug, inner abs really lit up bigtime.
70x9 really tough
70x9 gnarly. good stuff though.
70x7

12/1/09 ME BENCH
after work. head hurts. a mess. less than 45 minutes to train.

Bench, little fingers on rings
bar
bar
feel like baked ass. no lunch. lumbar injured. chest still sore.
95x5
135x5 feels heavy, but feeling more solid
155x3
185x3 quite heavy. elbows not flaring per se, but bar traveling in a diagonal line backwards from hole.
195x1 better
205x1 okay
215x1 some slide/flare
220x1 a hint of flare but kept it "down"; felt a kiss of that good groove
225x1 big slide, classic stuff.
fuck it, less than 5 minutes left.

1DB press
25x10RL
60x3RL
60x3RL heavy stuff

okay, gotta go.

12/8/09 DE BENCH
skipped a day due to back injury

DE BENCH, pinkies on rings, 2 9/10 holes visible above rack
bar
bar
reverse hyper a bit for back. ow.
bar + red minis. pegs farthest apart, circled 2.5 times and coming off backside of rear peg. feels aight. back hurts.
95x4 feels good but L seems heavier?
115x3 feels excellent
on the minute:
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
felt great. perfect resistance. found groove again.
bands off:
155x3
185x1
205x1 p heavy
215x1
230x1 whoop, slid back. call it quits.

45-degree chest-supported rows
0x11
20x11
35x11 feels good
45x11 actually back feels great now. these really seem to help.
45x11
45x11 really bit into the biceps
45x7 called it quits

1-arm DB press
20x11RL tight
60x3RL
60x3R2f3L

stretched some

12/8/09 ME BENCH
skipped some days for back injury
came after work, STARVING, just some fruit/nuts for lunch

BENCH
bar
bar back feels fine
95x5 feel strong actually, but feels like I'm CONSTANTLY lowering unevenly, with L lower
115x5
135x5 feels real good, but bar path wobbly.
155x4
185x2
205x1
215x1 no bigtime slide but some upward influence
225x1 thought I'd failed; super good rep, bar moved a bunch and I managed to lock it out unevenly
215x1 okay. actually stopped moving at one pont on concentric, then... just resumed. basically solid rep.

1-DB press
25x10RL huh, feels tiring
60x3RL tough
60x3RL
60x3Rf3L (total failure) was walking around on 2

12/13/09 ME SQUAT
missed days for back injury. first attempt at lower body since.

SSB SQUAT wl shoes, FS sort of stance, not quite ATG but deep.
65?? assume bar is 65
115x5 peculiarly difficult
155x4
175x2
195x1 back feels... active. but no pain.
225x1 shit be crazy. tough in a crazy way. seems "unstable"; knees seem to wobble all oven (no caving though).
235x1 fuzzed out, and weight shifted. but good.
225x1 came onto toes a bit.
flexors NOT ridiculously engaged, but quads quite happy. lower back woke up juuust a little.

30 sledge slams, alternating in 10s
then 30 with heavier hammer
15 walking lunges, 45lb sandbig on R shoulder
15 on left
good stuff.

12/17/09 DE SQUAT

murph sez: "all bars weigh 45." thanks buddy. also says the long ones weigh the same and so do the short.

SSB (black, long)
L lumbar tweaked a bit when sitting around earlier, feel it now. cold as shit outside. knees fine.
bar. L flexor complaining.
bar. much better. R groin woke up?
bar + red minis, pegs farthest, circled twice with one loop around bar.
85x4
115x4 (aka 25s on the bar)
on the minute:
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
again, really not too stable, but mb that's the point. serious warm fuzzy weakness in legs. p nice.

DB complex with 25lbs
5 squats, 5 DL, 5 PC, 5 PP. easy as balls.

45lb sandbag, 30 alt shoulders, no dropping.
20 more shoulders
biceps and shoulders kinda worn out.

12/19/09 DE BENCH

DE BENCH
bar
bar
bar + bands, red minis, pegs farthest, looped 2.5 times
bar + bands
65x2
95x5 gud.
115x3 almost seems a bit heavy, but good
on the minute:
115x3 chalked back, helps much
115x3
115x3 does seem a touch heavy, in a good way
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
115x3
tres bien! lumbar twinging just a bit.
bands off
135x2 solid
155x2
185x2 hmm, that escalated quickly
205x1 rechalked. real good rep.
225x1 slid on me some, but not too bad for all that
240x1 think I might call that good. slid back, got loose, and banged into hooks; spotter touched the bar to stabilize but not really lifting. eyes were closed as usual which probably didn't help. debateable PR.

DB bench, tucked, no arch, 3 second pause
25x11
50x10
50x10
50x7

BB rows, from the hang
barx20
135x11
155x10
185x5
185x5
185x8

Ab pulldowns, legs braced
20x11
50x11
70x11
80x7 shorting bottom ROM
70x11 hurtin'
70x11 real tough

12/29/09 ME BENCH
after work, but with a decent amount of time. no lunch though.

Pause bench
pinkies on rings, bench form, 3 second pause
bar
bar
95x5
135x3 took workn
155x3 tough. little strain in L arm/chest
175x2 tough
185x1
195x1
205x1 funkeh! left side lagged
205x1 better; still a little bleh
205x1 real tough; grinder

Lat pullups
wide, overhand, angled grip, strict, elbows back
5 w/straps

DB bench, 3 second pause, no arch, tucked
20x10
50x10
50x10
50x6

zero back pain today!

12/31/09 DE SQUAT
got fired yesterday! awesome.

DE SSB SQUAT
wl shoes
bar
bar
bar + red minis, pegs farthest, circled twice with one circle on bar
105x2 okay
on the minute:
105x2 good
105x2
105x2
105x2 better without TOO much bounce at bottom
105x2 knees are certainly wobbling some
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
legs are le tired. so am I, frankly.

GHR 4
GHD back extension 10
Ab pulldown 70x10
GHR 3 piked last
GHD back extension 11
Ab pulldown 70x10
GHR 1f2
GHD back extension 11 with pause+squeeze at top
Ab pulldown 70x10

1/2/10 DE BENCH

DE pause bench, 3 second pause
bar
bar + red minis, 2.5 looped, pegs farthest
65x4
95x4
105x2 that'll d
on the minute:
105x3
105x3 good speed
105x3 neck tweaked a bit (posterior)
105x3
105x3 feeling it
105x3
105x3 R elbow a titch
105x3
105x3 "bending" bar a little less to ease pain in elbow
105x3
slowing and less lat action by the later sets. a few tweaky pains.

Lat pullups

DB bench, 3 second pauses (more like 5 really)
50x10 trying with no rotation at bottom (barbell position)
50x10
50x10 LG

p. good rests on RE today. plenty of time.

1/3/10 ME SQUAT

SSB squat
big red one, WL shoes
bar
bar
115x3 good power
125x3 feeling it. L flexor.
155x2 good... holding yoke
175x2 good
195x1 okay. came forward. vid.
215x1 hips really jumped in there.
225x1 toughie. maybe a bit of knee cave (L). hps shot a little.
240x1 doable, but definitely rolled the hips up (odd little feeling) to get hams in. oh well, we'll do 'em meaty today.
245x1 meh, ugly. caved, shot a bunch.
230x1 cheated

45-degree back extension
BWx10

Ab pulldown
40x10

45-degree back extension
10x10 (behind head)

Ab pulldown
70x10

45-degree back extension
25x10

Ab pulldown
80x10 quads...

45-degree back extension
35x10 got pretty tough

Ab pulldown
80x10 OUCH

45-degree back extension
35x12 sucks. ROM shortened on last few.

stretched a bit, foam rolled a little

1/5/10 ME BENCH

Pause bench
3 second pause
bar
bar R elbow still a little ehh
95x5
135x4
155x3
175x2 feeling good
185x1
205x1 bar floated back... just due to carelessness I think, no big strain
210x1 good! still felt a little of L shoulder. posterior neck too. dead straight bar path.
215x1 really ground it, but good. minimal pains, noticed shoulder a titch. controlled slide, held it in place.

DB pause bench 20x10 (aaaand then someone stole my DBs)
Lat pullups BWx7 feel strong
Lat pullups BWx6
Lat pullups BWx5
Lat pullups BWx5
DB pause bench 55x10 (barbell position) yoinks, real hard. loooong pauses.
55x7 oif.
55x6 oof. feeling forearms.

10 walking lunges
20 35lb D-ball slams
really gassy. rest a bit.
10 more slams

1/7/10 DE SQUAT

SSB squat
trying "small" bar, let's call it 45? wl shoes.
bar. seems more stable and lighter than big bar. L knee REALLY wants to cave. otherwise good.
bar. much better. stance a little wider. legs lighting up.
bar + red minis, pegs farthest, circled twice, 1 circle on bar. this IS be more tension than last time because bar has shorter camber. feels fine.
65x5 good stuff
85x3 pad kinda presses into R clavicle...
120x2 yeaaah, that feels heavier than a 45 bar... whatever.
on the minute:
115x2 kinda tough outta the hole. mb think lighter in the future.
115x2 there's those flexors...
115x2 yeah, kinda challenging
115x2
115x2 pushing up on handles helps some
115x2 yeah, with that trick it's... okay
115x2 wider stance with feet more forward is a little easier, especially on the knees
115x2
115x2 legs really weakened
115x2

20kg KB, 25lb sandbag
KB power swings, sandbag pushpress (most of them airborne), alternating Tabata.
rest, then:
1 arm DL with KB, 5 each side, alternating. numerous sets.
rest, then:
more 1 arm DLs. abs feel it even.

1/09/10 DE BENCH

Pause bench
3s pause
bar
bar + red minis, 2.5 loopd, pegs farthest
95x4
105x4 vid
on the minute:
105x3 good
105x3 great!
105x3
105x3
105x3
105x3
105x3
105x3
105x3
105x3

Lat pullups
5 oops, wrong number
5 shorted last a bit

Pause DB bench, barbell position
25x10
60x7
60x7
60x5

Sledgehammer slams (yellow handle)
20R, 20L
rest
20R, 20L
real good and powerful swings. toasted.

1/10/10 ME SQUAT

SSB squat.
first ME using the smaller bar. it's the crepinsek safety power squat bar. try and look up the weight. still calling it 45 today.
bar. quite reasonably wide stance, fair flare.
bar. hams and glutes still sore from KB DLs...
95x4 really feeling good and solid. quads wakey-wakey.
135x3 ah, there's the weight. flexors too.
155x3 some tightening up with the ham shoot.
175x1 good
195x1 okay. some shooting and pushing handles up.
215x1 wow that was REALLY HEAVY. clean form though.
226x1 really funky, ground it out through the toes and hams.
232x1f damn it.
185x3 more pressure on L foot for sure. must be leaning.
not much BOUNCE; descending pretty slow and almost pausing on these. probably because having trouble stabilizing knees, and probably contributes to lower weights.

Ab wheel negs
4. not great.

KB swings, 24kg
Tabata, 4 or 5 rounds. traps giving way first, then lumbar. not TOO winding, but nice.
rest, then
2.5 more rounds. tapped out.

KB DL, 1 arm, 1 leg
alternating sets of 5R, 5L, in blocks of 20. 3 or 4 total rounds, rest in between. not really holding bell "back," just letting it hang. glutes, hams, and lumbar lit up; really toasted.

1/14/10 DE SQUAT
skipped a day due to Hell Night nausea, and for a break.
felt pretty good once I warmed up.

DE SSB squat
small bar. let's call it 65 today. wl shoes. really shooting for lighter and faster today.
air
65x10 good
65x4 good, good
played with band configurations... settled on 2 purple minis, looped on pegs with 1 hole between. more tension, I like it.
85x3 good
115x2 eh.
105x1 hm. R knee popped.
105x2 trying out fast descent
105x2 knees not that stable
105x2 L flexor
105x2 good, smooth speed. bit more stable.
105x2 pretty good all around
105x2 kind "feeling" both knees a tad.
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
glad that's over. knees definitely awake. quads really quite fatigued.

1-2 rounds of 20kg KB swings
4 rds swings, then 1 ab wheel neg (so-so quality). swings easier, with less shoulder stress if I bend over more.
2x5RL 1-leg 2-arm KB DLs, with 2 20s
5RL
5RL

stretched a titch. need to do flexors more.

1/16/10 DE BENCH
wore boots

Pause bench
bar
bar
bar + red minis, pegs farthest, circled 3 times with 1 on bar
65x5 good stuff
95x3 pretty solid, mb not a bad weight
95x3
95x3 going a little nuts here
95x3 R elbow a titch
95x3
95x3 lumbar tweaked a titch when I sat up
95x3
95x3 starting to slow a little
95x3 better
95x3
95x3
really went after it; fast and powerful. squeezed hard. good.

Lat pullups
8 bit tough
7 same
6 last couple not quite to chest
6 same
really feeling these in the lats!

DB pause bench, barbell position, no arch, etc
20x7 definitely fatigued
65x5 heavy!
65x5
65x3f4

Sledgehammer swings
10RL
10RL
5RL
5RL

1/17/10 ME DL

DL
long socks, barefoot
warmup
bar
135x5 back a little uhhhh. L knee too.
185x4
225x3 feeling solid. can tell back will be the weakpoint, though.
275x2
315x1 R rhomboid sharp pain
335x1 rhomboid again, less bad. hook grip. chalk. very wobbly, rolly, bent bar...
355x1 rounded some. hook grip (really hurt). chalk.
365x1 some rounding (no pain). mixed grip, R over. not bad lift actually.
375x1 mixed, R over. felt strong! but definitely rounded a bunch. still no pain however.
385x1 very ugly! maximal rounding. mixed, R over. still no real pain. a heavy lift.
rounding significantly on last 3-4, but really no pain, didn't even feel the back, so marched on. no grip problems with mixed grip too. really feeling pretty good. can't remember last time I pulled.

1DB DL (same side arm/leg seems to work better)
60x5RL
60x5RL
60x5RL
60x5RL
60x5RL
60x5RL
back feeling it by the end. L inner thigh too?

Ab wheel negs, 1 (good! all the way to floor)
45-degree back extension, BWx7
Ab wheel negs, 1 (pretty good)
45-degree back extension, BWx11
Ab wheel negs, 1 (good)
45-degree back extension, BWx14
Ab wheel negs, 1 (good)
45-degree back extension, BWx10

1/19/10 ME BENCH
still sore... mainly entire back, including lats

Close-grip bench
bar
bar
95x5 not feeling super strong
135x4 yeah, pretty slow. L side wants to descend more.
155x4
185x4 really wants to tilt
205x2 THAT felt good
215x1 whoops. slid downward on me, almost got away. tight!
225x1 easy!
235x1 smooth! methinks the pause benches have given me power off the chest!
240x1 smooth. using lots of bounce for sure. PR!
245x1 that one slid up. felt twinge in L anterior delt thingie.
250x1 hmm. no real flare. just great leg drive. smooth.
255x1 hm. feels like I'm bouncing/powering out of the danger zone, THEN flaring towards the top where it's under control and not a problem
260x1 slid. hell yeah!
jesus christ. 20lb alltime bench PR. legendary. back of neck a little sore.

Kroc 25x10
1DB bench 25x10
Kroc 60x10 maxed at 65 last time we did this
1DB bench 50x10 maxed at 55 last time, using 2 DBs
Kroc 60x10
1DB bench 50x10
Kroc 60x10
1DB bench 50x10 (L easier?)
all bouncing, not deadhang

1/21/10 DE DL
feeling solid, although in a funk today

Band DL
bar
bar + red minis, pegs farthest, looped twice with ALL bands on bar. very tight at very top.
135x3 too light at bottom/heavy at top
185x2 took 1 band off top
185x2 took 2 bands off top. back is feeling this
cleaned up bands and went with 2 on top, 2 bottom
on the minute:
185x2
185x2
185x2 setting up tight and pulling out slack
185x2 kinda perilous eccentric. certainly quick both ways. back is maybe the toughest part. wobbling both ways due to bands.
185x2
185x2
185x2
185x2 yep, it's the back
185x2
185x2
back, basically. otherwise nothing.

1DB DL, same side, top down.
20x5
70x5 bad balance
70x5 little better
70x5 some kinda weird moving/clicking in posterior L popliteal
70x5

4 ab wheel negs (decent)

walking lunges with 45lb sandbag on shoulder. a bunch. tried to use the glutes. legs felt this.

1/23/10 DE BENCH
much food cheatz, yesterday and day before

Close-grip bench
bar
bar + red minis, pegs farthest, looped 3 times, 1 on bar
feel very strong!
115x4
115x3 feeling mighty, much energy. from the food?
130x3 has some weight, but no problem
on the minute:
130x3
130x3 power!
130x3
130x3
130x3
130x3
130x3
130x3
130x3
130x3
bands off
fast, with short rests:
155x1
185x1
225x1 feel like I'm on crack today
245x1 slide some
265x1f slid up and failed on my face. might have just slid out on me; no tightness in form today.

Kroc 20x10
1DB bench 20x10
Kroc 65x10
1DB bench 55x10
Kroc 65x10
1DB bench 55x10
Kroc 65x10
1DB bench 55x10
all bounced.

kinda fried now... maybe because I did all that so fast (less than 1hr total)

1/24/10 ME DL

DL
socks only
bar
135x5
185x5
225x3 mixed grip. feeling my back, mb because just woke up
245x2
275x2 back def. already meh. may not be a great day.
295x1 mixed. fast eccentric, better.
315x1 same!
335x1 same. dropped it.
355x1 same. alternating grips with each rep.
375x1 some rounding
395x1 tough, rounded, but got it, no real pain.
400x1 yeaaaah, a true max. much rounding, ground it out. but good! a 9lb PR.

1DB DL
25x5RL
75x5RL
75x5RL
75x5RL left side seems harder, with a little inner thigh twinging
75x5RL
75x5RL

Ab wheel, 2 good negs
45-degree back extension, quadded mini on neck, 10. tough on glutes, back.
Ab wheel, 2 decent negs
45-degree back extension, 9 with band. ow, my back. neck hurts too.
Ab wheel, 1 neg. back feels tight.

1/26/10 ME BENCH
lumbar still tweaked from the DL

Close-grip bench
squat bar
bar
bar
95x5
135x5 R elbow some
185x5 kinda heavy and laterally tippy
205x3 better
225x2 pretty heavy
235x1 okay. don't OVER-arch.
245x1 tough, almost slid. no me gusta.
R front tip of delt noticeably tweaked. chest sore now too actually...
255x1f damn it! just not there today.
there is a STRONG POSSIBILITY that the thicker squat bars here weigh more than 45.

Kroc 20x10
1DB bench 20x10
Kroc 70x10 R lat really feels tweaked! barely finished.
1DB bench 65x10L 9f10R man, my R side is falling apart
Kroc 70x10L just gonna skip the R side
1DB bench 65Lx10 same, no R

1/30/10 DE BENCH
missed a day due to work. beat, a little funky. worked all week, might have a cold. no carbs last night.

Close-grip bench
bar
bar. feels decent
bar + red minis, pegs farthest, circled 3 times with 1 on bar
65x4 great
95x4 good
on the minute:
125x3
125x3 couldn't find 25 plates to make it 130
125x3 trying to push BACK rather thn UP, keep wrists straight
125x3 legs are wide, flexing glutes
125x3
125x3
125x3
125x3 tired.
125x3
125x3
bands off
155x3 fast and solid
185x2 form actually feels more solid than with the bands
225x2 L side felt WAY heavy
changed the plates
225x1 felt good
235x1 felt slow and challenging but very smooth and clean
245x1 kind gliding around and wants to shift at midpoint of ROM, but SMOOTH, with no flare
255x1f not awful, but stopped 1/4 way up, no slide.

Kroc 25x10
1DB bench 25x10
Kroc 75x10
1DB bench 70x7f8L 7f8R
Kroc 75x10
1DB bench 70xL5R6
Kroc 75x10
1DB bench 70x5
feeling lumbar a little

1/31/10 ME DL

DL
socks only
glute activation drills
bar. huh. drills really do seem to help me feel glutes.
135x7
155x5
185x3 feeling good. go go gadget glutes!
225x3 using some mixed grip, and starting to drop some reps
245x2 dropping
275x2 mixed
glute drills
315x2 mixed. yep, feeling the back.
335x1 gud.
365x1 pretty good
385x1 some rounding, def. heavy, but doable. vid.
glute drills
405x1 tiny amount of nerve. very tough, absolutely a grinding max, but not QUITE as bad as last time, and back not nearly as pained. mixed, chalk, the usual. big breath, much dizziness after.
back really pretty much fine at the moment.

1DB 1-leg DL
25x5
80x5 feels good and solid
80x5
80x5 L inner thigh twinge
80x5
80x5

Ab wheel negs, 2 quite good
45-degree back ext, 2 holes up, red mini X'd on neck. 7 controlled reps.
Ab wheel negs, 2 okay
Back ext w band, 6, controlled.
Ab wheel from knees, 10
Back ext with band, 5

Brandon Oto
06-13-2010, 10:32 AM
2/4/20 DE SQUAT
missed a day due to work

BS low, WL shoes
spent much time playing with depth, trying to find a depth reasonably past parallel but not deep. no real sense of lowbar depth anymore. settled on height of 1 big box + 1 plate. many reps with bar.
95 many reps to box
135 handful of reps to box
135 some reps, vid. go narrower.
135 some reps, vid.
135 some reps
back somewhat tight throughout. definitely rounding on deeper reps.

pushed prowler, unweighted, then with 2 45s. almost died in cold air.
walked on the treadmill, 15 incline, 5 mins.
some face pulls with 20. hmm, feel that.

2/6/20 ME PRESS
feeling lumbar a bit?

Press
bar
bar. feels solid.
65x5
75x5
95x4
105x3
115x2
125x1 having some uneven pressing today
135x1
145x1 solid
160x1 heavy, slowed, thought about failure, but ground it out! a solid lift! sticking point pretty narrow.
145x1 easy

Press isometrics
rails in 3rd hole down, no tubes. empty bar. 5 singles.

1DB press
20x10
60x3 L harder.
60x3
60x3 easier... starting to refind my form and beginning "kick" with shoulder

Face pulls
20x10
30x10
40x10
50x10
40x10

1/7/10 ME SQUAT
limited time today

BS low, WL shoes
bar. to big box + 1 plate for depth.
bar with box
glute bridges
95x6 feeling L medial knee a tad. no box. kinda hard to feel the right depth.
135x5 solid, but depth definitely varying. R hip flexor.
155x5 solid and consistent, but R flexor...
glute bridges
185x5 flexor...
205x2 solid
225x2 vid. wobbly. 1st deep, 2nd about right.
glute bridges
245x1 real solid and good bounce, can't swear about depth
255x1 chalked back. ditto above. depth fine.
265x1 ditto. R flexor still complaining. seems to be no knee dive.
glute bridges
275x1 ditto. a little grind. vid, good depth. solid lift.
285x1 basically okay. pretty tough, L knee dove slightly. stretched into it some.
glute bridges
295x1 good! felt shallow, but wasn't (vid).
glute bridges
305x1 good! THAT was heavy. ground through. basically solid form. vid. good shit. felt it all. depth fine but close.

GHR (2 holes out, top position, WL shoes) 3 with full ROM. hurts.
Hatfield raise, BWx10 (hands behind head)
GHR, 3 full ROM.
Hatfield raise, BWx10. ouch.
GHR, 1f2 (coulda probably made it)
Hatfield BWx10 argh.

3 good ab wheel negs

2/10/10 DE PRESS, DE SQUAT
new work schedule... not sure if I can do more than 2 days. did two-in-one today. beat the storm though!
still significantly sore from squats, mainly adductors.

Press
fucked around to find band arrangement
bar
bar
bar + red minis, circled on adjacent pegs, 1 on bar. L band tattered so a little asymmetrical.
65 + bands
80x3
75x3
on the minute:
65x3 pretty light
65x3
65x3 these are going FAST
65x3
65x3 switched the bands to opposite sides cause of asymmetry. haha, L side much easier now
65x3
65x3
65x3 slowing, feeling the shoulders
65x3
called it quits at 9 due to slowing

Press isometrics, rails 3rd hole down, empty bar
5 at ~4 seconds each
chipped a fucking tooth, jesus christ
bar rattles when I ram it into the rails... find a way to pad it?

Face pulls
20x10
50x10
70x10
50x10

---

BS low
quadded red minis on adjacent pegs
bar
bar
on the minute:
135x2
135x2
glute bridges
135x2
135x2
glute bridges
135x2
135x2
switched bands to balance asymmetry, rested a little long
135x2
135x2
135x2
glite bridges
135x2
lumbar... actually, everything hurts

really fucked beat.

GHR, 2 full ROM
Hatfield BWx10
GHR, 2 full ROM
Hatfield 10x10

I give up. groin KILLING me. so beat.

2/13/10 ME PRESS
off to work later

Press
traps noticeable fatigued. didn't really have breakfast.
bar
bar
65x5
95x5 felt slow.
115x3
135x2
145x1 slightly uneven, L higher. smooth though.
155x1 slowed a bit, a little juiced afterward.
165x1 yeah! vid. on nerve. felt like I wouldn't mae it, but then glided through sticking pt. isos may have worked. good lift.
155x1 same business

Press isos
3rd hole down, velcro collars as padding
1 w/boots on
2 w/boots, standing on 1 mat
2 barefoot, on floor
feeling it

1DB Press
30x5 way easy
60x5R tough 60x2f3L
60x2f3L 60x3f4R
45x6f7L 45x7R

Face pulls
long rope handles
20x11
60x10 ROM could be better
55x10 same
40x10 good ROM

2/14/10 ME SQUAT

BS low
unsure if this squat bar weighs 45
bar
bar, to box
bar, to box. rails are at #14 in L rack at good depth.
95x5
glute bridges
135x5 box out.
185x3 L been lagging the whole time
205x3
225x2 vid... depth?
245x1 tilted L.
glute bridges
275x1 felt good some movement, but no banging.
glutes
285x1 kinda wobbly and all over, L tilt
quads fatigued...
295x1 doable.
glutes
315x1f JESUS CHRIST. vid. sat with it near sticking point for like TWELVE YEARS then lost it. closest failure evar. seemed to slip out of groove a bit at bottom, banged the rails, may be responsible. could've done this with 1 or 2 oz less weight. bleh. on nerve. headache after.

fucking headache in temples. jesus, I need a nap.

Hatfield 0x10
L-sit to soft fail
Hatfield, rep mini looped on neck, x10
GHR top to top, bouncing to horizontal, x4
Hatfield, mini quadded behind head, x6. head feels exploding.
GHR 4

L-doodles