PDA

View Full Version : Overhead work with chains

Jacob Rowell
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
What do you guys think about it?

I tried speed sets on the log (8 doubles, 45 second rest) yesterday. Had the log at about 80 lbs, with 70lbs of chains, with most of the chain's weight on the ground when the log was racked, but with the chains completely off the ground overhead.

What I noticed was not that it made the lift appreciably more difficult, but instead that it forced good push jerk form. The initial dip/drive was obviously quick because of the relatively light load, but as some as it came off the shoulders, the full weight of the chains came off the ground, making it quite natural to just drop under quickly rather than pres it out.

I'll be interested to see how it carries over to the log without chains. I'm doing an ME day once a week with the log, so I should find out before too long if it's helping much.

Adam Gagliardi
02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I have not tried with chains..have used bands and liked it a lot..really forced me to explode and drop

Dave Van Skike
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
never tried. bands work awesome even for my anemic gamey shoulders.

Jacob Rowell
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Interesting, had no idea how often chains were used in this manner.

I'm guessing it's fairly similar to bands (which I have only used on front squats), except that the weight transfers to the bar in a little less linear fashion. Kinda just dumps on there at once.

Wonder if it makes much of a difference.

Dave Van Skike
02-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Interesting, had no idea how often chains were used in this manner.

I'm guessing it's fairly similar to bands (which I have only used on front squats), except that the weight transfers to the bar in a little less linear fashion. Kinda just dumps on there at once.

Wonder if it makes much of a difference.

almsot the exact opposite is my experience. sets of heavy chains feel like you can keep adding and adding in almost a linear manner, bands feel like you reach a certain point in the band tension adn at a certain weight and it's a brick wall. chains you can overcome the weight to a degree with inertia, bands a lot less so.

one thing that is kinda like chains a little bit is suspended band work where the bar is hanging top down from bands. I relaly like this for squats and deadlift

Jacob Rowell
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I can see what you're saying with inertia overcoming the weight of the chains, especially with something like a pp/pj. Ill have to give band work a try sometime to experience it for myself.

I've tried suspended band dls, and liked them a lot. Felt like I got a lot of workout without getting taxed too heavily. Recovered really well from them.

Dave Van Skike
02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I can see what you're saying with inertia overcoming the weight of the chains, especially with something like a pp/pj. Ill have to give band work a try sometime to experience it for myself.

I've tried suspended band dls, and liked them a lot. Felt like I got a lot of workout without getting taxed too heavily. Recovered really well from them.

i think you're right, the suspended work, even heavy seems to be easy to recover from. we do them on deload weeks...now if only there were stone deloads...

Adam Gagliardi
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
used chains for OH today...liked them a lot...easier than bands

Jacob Rowell
02-19-2009, 02:45 PM
I've yet to give the bands a try. maybe during the next 4 week cycle I'll give it a shot, still trying to figure out a good way to anchor them at the facility I go for this kinda stuff. I'm sure the owner will have some idea.

How'd you set the chains up? I used a long leader chain, connected to a bunch of chain about a foot and a half long which amount for most of the chain weight. The bunch is completely on the ground when the bar is racked, and loads up completely a few inches over my head to about 70# extra weight. Feels good, but my experience is limited in this area. I'm curious how other setups feel - I'm sure I'll try different ways out at some point.

Adam Gagliardi
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
my set up is pretty much the same, but from my experience and what ive gathered from wendler,tate, and simmons is that you still want a link ot 2 on the ground to help prevent swinging....ill put a vid up next week that will have chain FS, BS, OH strict and PP and events from this coming sunday

Adam Gagliardi
02-23-2009, 07:43 AM
vid from last week
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2MWLcMa_g

Jacob Rowell
02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Nice work.

I decided to record my session today.

I'm feeling great on the log. sloooow on the box squats - should I be pausing more? it's kind of a touch and go right now.

http://www.vimeo.com/3357200

Adam Gagliardi
02-25-2009, 05:17 AM
cool stuff---Jacob

re the box squats, that is more like a depth finder, which isnt a bad thing if your playing with different stances, than the way WS does them. to the best of my knowledge, you are to pause on the box, sit on it, and relax everything except your arch, then explode up, pushing the knees out, spreading the floor with the feet. If i remember ill try and find the quotes/ articles. regardless good training

Jacob Rowell
02-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks Adam

I was pausing more, but I was told I was staying on the box too long. This video probably isn't the best representation, as I felt incredibly slow on this particular day.

I'll post some next week from my next box squat session.

Looks like a great place to train you have there. You're up in Maryland, right? My gym is currently catering specifically to CF, but we're looking at a bigger box, and I'm hoping to bring in a good deal more equipment eventually (racks, bands, chains, SM stuff, etc..). I bet those strict overheads with chains would fit nicely into my programming before too long.

Adam Gagliardi
02-25-2009, 06:35 AM
the gym is in rockville, MD...awesome place.
here's a quote from a LS article:
"First, there is only one way to box squat. `!Pure Power`!
had an article on ways to box squat, but there is only one proven
way: the Westside way. Here's how. First, push the glutes rearwardas far as possible. With a tight back arch to descend to the box.
Push your neck into your traps. Push your knees apart to maximally
activate the hips. When sitting on the box, the shins should be
straight up and down or even past perpendicular. This places all the work on the
hamstrings, glutes, hips, and low back. These are the precise muscle
groups that do a very large percent of the squat. After sitting
completely on the box, some glute and hip muscles are relaxed somewhat. Then
forcefully flex the abs, hips, and glutes and jump off the box.

To ascend correctly, push the traps into the bar first. This
will flex the back muscles, then the hips and glutes, and finally the
legs. If you push with the legs first, you will be in a good morning
position because the glutes will raise first, causing you to bend over.
Remember that where the head goes, the body will follow. Note: Always
push the feet out to the sides, not directly down."